[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 3.00 MB, 864x540, 1559832969329.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5802161 No.5802161 [Reply] [Original]

Dreamcast or N64? Also discuss other Treasure games if you like.

>> No.5802171

>>5802161
i like the retooled GBA Astro boy engine used in the DS version

I wish it had a 3ds version tho, love how these games use slowdown as a game mechanic

>> No.5802201

Both are good, although I prefer the DC a bit more because I think it has faster gameplay (no having to farm fruits to fuel your super attack, no need to power up your mech via a shop every level), plus better music/graphics and less slowdowns. N64's controls feel better to play with, but DC isn't bad if you change it in the options to ABXY instead of XA. I think the DC version has more levels as well, plus some re-designed ones.

>> No.5803303

>>5802161
What is this either or shit? Play every version you have available, Bangai-O rocks!

>> No.5803337
File: 194 KB, 982x726, bangai13.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5802201
I agree with this anon, except I actually prefer the N64 version due to the controls alone. In fact Bangai-O was made with the N64 controller in mind, moving with the d-pad while shooting in all directions with the stick feels awesome (although a bit weird at first). It's the control scheme that's recommended on the game's manual, although using the c-buttons to shoot isn't bad either, similar to using DC's ABXY, but since the c-buttons are smaller it feels more seamless, like a secondary d-pad. Still, shooting with the stick is the way to go.
I think you can play fast in both versions if you're good enough, and upgrading on the 64 version is very quick (using the shop menu is really, really quick, you can do it in a literal second), but unless it's the final boss, I never really felt like upgrading was that important, it does make the game harder though.
As for graphics and music, DC obviously has more, let's say, impressive graphics even if it's still very old school, but I really dig 64's aesthetic, it looks 16-bit and I dig that. Also, some of the backgrounds are actually better-looking on n64 than on DC. DC has more variety of assets in general, though.
For music I also can't decide which I like more, both soundtracks are pretty cool, but I actually find myself going back to listen to 64's tracks more often.
I don't remember new levels on DC, are there really any new levels? I remember 44 levels in both versions. DC does have new bosses or redesigned bosses, though.
Another change I wasn't a big fan of in the DC version was Bangai-O's sprite when he unleashes the missile fury, on N64 you see all these missile pads coming out all around its body, while on DC's sprite the missile pads only come out of its shoulders, a nitpick, I know.

>> No.5803502

>>5803303
Some of us actually make money and have sex and don't have time to play every console version of a shmup game

>> No.5803512

>>5803502
dilate

>> No.5803573

I shied away from the n64 version cause I kept hearing it was the worse version. Have an everdrive64 but not a dreamcast so reading this thread has made me happy. Gonna check bangai-o out.