[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 222 KB, 1441x1429, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
578745 No.578745 [Reply] [Original]

I skipped the whole FF7 hype train and actually never played it. (also because I had n64)

is it worth playing now?

>> No.578750

yes

ff7 is 5/5 bretty gud

i know from reading discussions about it on this website that you might get upset if you can't follow the plot. there's a lot of plot twists and an unreliable narrator. so be prepared for that. if the plot isn't too deep for you, you will probably enjoy it.

>> No.578754

It hasn't aged well.

>> No.578756

>>578750

but won't I get that "dated" feeling after have played FF9 and 10?

>> No.578761
File: 169 KB, 1206x925, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>/vr/'s house

>> No.578767

I would say it's worth playing. Even if just to see all the ways it influenced the 32bit era of JRPGs. The worst thing at this point is probably the graphics which have aged pretty horribly. But if that doesn't put you off, you're in for a pretty fun ride.

>> No.578780

FF9 was garbage in comparison. 7, 8, and 10 were by far my favorites. The graphics are dated but the game sucks you in from the very beginning. I currently have it downloaded for my vita. Just waiting to finish ff6.

>> No.578796

If we count the remakes of FF2 and FF3 instead of the originals, I genuinely feel that FFVII is the weakest main-series FF... but it's still worth playing. Just be warned that it's aged pretty hard.

>> No.578807

>>578756
First disk is pretty good, the rest not so much. And the translation isn't very good. Good music (as usual), and the materia system is pretty nice.
In my opinion it's worth a playthrough at least.

>> No.578812

Not op but I've never actually emulated a game that was separated by discs, I have a psx emulator but does each image correspond to one save? Cause I'm looking at ff7 on coolrom and I notice that its separated in parts.

>> No.578816

>>578756
If you got a dated feeling from 9 and 10, you'll definitely have that same problem with 7.
7 and 9 are extremely similar gameplay wise, and 9 is actually more modern than it in some ways. The materia system is cool and pretty customizable, and the story is pretty entertaining, but it's no different than other PS1 RPGs.

>> No.578828

>>578780
Really? I've played every Final Fantasy from 1-9 and 9 is by far my favorite.

>> No.578829

I have a PS2 with component cable and GSM should I play there or the emulator?

I heard of some mods or something.

>> No.578831

>>578812
When you finish a disc you just go to change disc and load up the disc 2/3/whatever iso.
It's really fucking easy and no different than an actual Playstation.

>> No.578845

>>578831

Oh alright thanks.

>> No.578847

>>578796
FFII is one of the secret best entries in the series. The thing is that the system is so easily broken that almost no one plays it earnestly. If you do though, it's actually a fantastic game that makes all those random encounters actually mean something and you can't just attack-attack-attack-attack until you run into a boss.

>> No.578878
File: 217 KB, 1206x925, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have no problem whatsoever with how these events are unfolding.

>> No.578895

>>578828
I also hated FFIX. It felt like they were imitating the 3rd and 4th gen. FF games, and that greatly offended me. It was especially bad coming after FF8, which was highly innovative (although the innovation was a failure).

>> No.578905

midgar is awesome, the rest of the game after that, not so much

>> No.578926

>>578895
That's so funny, it's the exact reason I liked it so much. To me it almost perfectly blended everything I liked about the older FFs along with the aspects I liked about VII and VIII. I felt like it was the best of both worlds.

To the point that it essentially satisfied my Final Fantasy craving so to speak. It was as if FFIX gave me everything I'd ever wanted or dreamed the series to be. Aside from the DS port of III, it was the last Final Fantasy I played.

Which isn't to say I think you're wrong in your feelings. Each to their own of course. But I find it interesting the different effect their take on it had.

>> No.578949 [DELETED] 

ADVENT CHILDREN IS WHAT RUINED FF7 NOT FF7 ITSELF, FF7 WOULD BE RANKED AROUND THE SAME AS ALL THE OTHER FINAL FANTASYS IF IT WASN'T FOR THAT SHITTY CASH IN MOVIE

DON'T HATE THE GAME HATE THE JEWS THAT RAPED IT AND THE "FANS" THAT NEVER PLAYED IT

DON'T HATE THE GAME HATE THE JEWS THAT RAPED IT AND THE "FANS" THAT NEVER PLAYED IT

>> No.578946

I don't wanna be that guy who is a total Negative Nancy but FF7 is honestly not that great. The main reason why it was so popular was because for many people it was their first JRPG. The game has terrible pacing. Personally I think they should have stuck with the idea of being a terrorists who bombs building in a city run by a giant corporation. It was a really neat concept rarely done in video game and a shame they dropped it so quickly. That being said the game is not bad. It is just ok. Only play it if you are curious about video game history or really need a JRPG to play and you are out of options.

>> No.578963

>>578949

Do you have to be so obnoxious?

>> No.578981

>>578905

everyone always says this, but i always look forward to leaving midgar whenever i play the game.

the only area i didn't like was gaia's cliffs/icicle inn etc.

>> No.578983
File: 13 KB, 300x193, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This was me when it came out, although I would never admit that I chose the wrong console because Playstation was for arseholes.

>> No.578979

>>578949
Ohh please. People hated on FFVII long before Advent Children was even thought of.

>> No.578986

>>578946

i always thought the pacing was pretty cool, the scope of the game really changes as your progress.

in contrast to most JRPGs (even the ones that still come out today): WE MUST SAVE THE EARTH FIRE WIND AND AIR CRYSTAL GUISE XD

>> No.578990 [DELETED] 

>>578963
YES

>> No.579000

>>578986
The issue I have with the game is most of disc 1 does not feel like it is related to the plot except for a few moments. Most of it just felt like filler to drag the game on to around 40-60 hours(if you skip side stuff). It did get really good by disc 2 and 3 though. Though that is an issue I have with JRPGs in the PS1 era and up in general.

>> No.579074

>>579000
Did you even pay attention to the plot? The stuff that happens in Midgar sets the stage for the entire rest of the game.

>> No.579094

>>579074
I did pay attention to the plot. I played through the game like four times. The issue is the first disc has a ton of side stuff shoved into the main quest it forces you to do in order to make the game longer than it should be.

>> No.579103

8>7>9>every other ff game>10

opinions

>> No.579105

FF7 has
great music
great backdrops
fast paced battles

but it also has
really bad out of combat models
bad translation
no difficulty

If you want an easy game that you can get lost in, FF7 delivers. Just get used to those block-hands and you'll get into it.

>> No.579204
File: 221 KB, 1206x925, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.579208
File: 229 KB, 1206x925, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.579212

>>579105
I hear pretty often that FF7 is either really easy or really cheap when it comes to difficulty.

>> No.579214
File: 232 KB, 1206x925, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Which one?

>> No.579234

>>579214
evil dragon

>> No.579241

>>579212
I wouldn't say "having like....2 bosses that can give you a game over" is cheap.

If you speed run the game, like I generally do when I replay, there actually are a few hard bosses, but for a new player who will be exploring? No way. Save points are plentiful and you'll get the boss on the second try, tops.

>> No.579269

>>578949
>ADVENT CHILDREN IS WHAT RUINED FF7 NOT FF7 ITSELF
Actually, nonsensical story and a terrible, terrible villain ruined it. Also, no challenge at all, overreliance on cutscenes, all that stuff. That's what ruined it and not a crappy Square-Enix cartoon that came ten years later.

>> No.579274

>>578981
>everyone always says this, but i always look forward to leaving midgar whenever i play the game.
That's ass-backwards.

Midgar really was the best part of FFVII.

>> No.579291

>>579214
Gotta wonder what kind of dumbass would think that up in any rational setting.

"Hey, so you're our 100th customer, which means that even though we don't know anything about you, you're going to star in a play! We don't have time to tell you the script, and there's really nothing stopping you from trying to deliberately fuck things up, so we'll just have to roll with it. Have fun!"

I think I would have taken a crap on the stage.

If the option to take a

>> No.579307

>>579291
It's a realy type of entertainment. The whole point is that the main character is someone from the audience, and the real actors go along with it. It's funny.

>> No.579325
File: 67 KB, 840x634, tom-cruise-scientology-20110627.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>579269
>Actually, nonsensical story and a terrible, terrible villain ruined it.

Kefka was an even worse villain.

He was basically an edgy 9 year old who just destroyed things for the hell of it.

At least Sephiroth was striving for truth and belonging (initially). But Sephiroth isn't even reason why FF7 was good. FF7 also wasn't good because Aerith died. It was good because of Cloud. His entire "living a lie" subplot was fairly new in video games, much less RPGs. I still think the dream sequence in FF7 (where Tifa helps Cloud fix his memory) is the best scene in all final fantasies.

>> No.579374

Your reaction will depend on what kind of gamer you are, OP: a) "Fun game, man!" or b) "It hasn't aged well. Which reminds me that Miss Patricia must have some new article on feminism and cistotalitarianism, so I'd better read it before Giovani arrives from work crazy to fuck me in the ass."

>> No.579379
File: 246 KB, 360x240, WYeZu.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Im am in the process of downloading the 3 discs.. even in .7zip format its 1.5 Gb...

I have the 3 J,U,E playstation Bios aswell...

In theory all i have to do is unzip the discs in the same folder and my emulator(retroarch on android tablet) should run these???

I've been having mega-cd/sega-cd issues, well basically cd based game issues

I can emulate carts fine

Should doing as i have described work???

I really wanna play FF7 again.. the nostalga

>> No.579383 [DELETED] 

>>579325
>responding to a troll

I don't even.

>> No.579391

>>579379
Some emulators load the ISO, some require a CD-mounting program (pretty sure Kega Fusion does).

>> No.579423

>>579241
In my second playthrough of FFVII I went a little crazy with raising Materia and the like. I rushed it the first time, so playthrough 2 was where I really maxed things out.

I think it was with a combination of cover, counter and attack x 4 materia, but I had Cloud set up so that when anyone attacked he would block and then counter for more damage than Knights of the Round.

However, I forgot to switch things up before the final battle. The fist time I fought him, I killed Sephiroth before he had a chance to use Supernova which I really wanted to see.

So I ended up spending the entire final battle having all my characters constantly throw megalixers at him so he wouldn't die from Cloud's counters before he had a chance to use it. Good times.

>> No.579435

>>578745
If you can manage to suffer through the incredibly slow-paced and drawn out exploration and storyline, it has probably the best battle customization system of any Final Fantasy game, but don't expect anything as fantastic as FF VI.

>> No.579448

>>579325
> His [Cloud's] entire "living a lie" subplot was fairly new

This subplot is exactly what ruined FF7 for me. Well, maybe not 'ruined' as it's still a great game but it's the reason why I hold a lot of other RPGs above it. These sorts of existential crises are very common tropes in a lot of Japanese media that want to come across as deep. I, for one, was very disappointed when this plot twist totally emasculated Cloud both by changing what we perceived to be his back story, but also because immediately afterwards he gets all whiny and lame.

> He [Kefka] was basically an edgy 9 year old who just destroyed things for the hell of it.

Kefka is a sociopath in the truest sense of the word. He's the Joker from the Nolan Batman movies but with god-like super powers. When he's introduced, you're not really sure what to think of him. He seems more like a comedic side-kick to this Emperor Geshtal people keep talking about. The Emperor is the real bad guy, right? Right?! Kefka becomes more threatening and more interesting as the story unfolds and you learn more about his true nature and just depths of depravity he'll sink to.

Sephiroth is also a great bad guy, but unlike Kefka, I found him to be LESS interesting as the story unfolded. When he's introduced he's so fucking scary! He's like the killer in a slasher movie! Oh, man, he's so cool and untouchable! Then what happens? Turns out he's some whiny echo-terrorist with mommy issues. That image you had of the unstoppable mysterious slasher is tainted forever.

>> No.579449

>>579325
It became super cliched later on, but Cloud was the first truly crazy RPG main character. And not in the "I'm so crazy and zany!" way. He was genuinely psychotic and unable to relate to other people on a truly human level.

I think that's the real legacy of FFVII. Before then we had mostly had just the plucky hero who wanted to do good and save the world. Cloud was like a breath of fresh air in that sense..

>> No.579456

>>579435
>but don't expect anything as fantastic as FF VI.

Final Fantasy 6 isn't even the best RPG on the SNES, much less best FF. The characters were way too stereotyped and the villain was simplistic as fuck.

>> No.579462
File: 18 KB, 730x422, FF7plot.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Stop being faggots. FF6 is great. FF7 is great.

>> No.579463

>>578745
David?

>> No.579475

>>579449
>plucky hero who wanted to do good and save the world
Who is Cecil?

>> No.579487

>>579448
>Kefka becomes more threatening and more interesting as the story unfolds and you learn more about his true nature and just depths of depravity he'll sink to.

Intriguing?

He just keeps destroying stuff. He's introduction is even terrible, because it's not even an introduction. He just appears, with no backstory. He just giggles, and destroys. Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat. No backstory. Nothing.

Kefka is the laziest villain ever. Even Lavos (who never talks) has more depth than him.

>> No.579490

>>579325
>Kefka was an even worse villain.
So he was. Doesn't change the fact that Sephi-kun was a laughable fucking retard throughout the game.

>> No.579491

>>579456
> The characters are way too stereotyped...

Did you not play the HOURS of optional sidequests that exist for the explicit purpose of fleshing out back stories of the main characters?

>> No.579505

>>579456
Are we talking about the Woolsey Kefka or the new Kefka?

>>579475
>Cecil
>a man who spends half the fucking game trying to become a paladin, and the other half trying to save the world

>> No.579509

>>578750 here, back to gloat about how right I was. This thread is full of exactly the sort of posters I described, describing the story as nonsensical or cloud living a lie as a subplot. These people do not realize it is their own failure and not that of the game's storyline. Anyone able to read at a 6th grade level should have no trouble following the plot.

>> No.579515

>>579487
> Laziest villian

Who is Ex-Death?

>> No.579526

>>579491
>Did you not play the HOURS of optional sidequests that exist for the explicit purpose of fleshing out back stories of the main characters?

The sidquests weren't that long. And all they did was repeat the major stereotype of the character with a chest of goodies at the end. The only memorable one was Cyan reliving the death of his family.

>> No.579548

I played 7 for the first time about a year ago. I always heard fans saying the game gets much better after Midgar, but honestly that whole portion was by far my favorite part of the game. After leaving the city everything seemed to slow down way too much and it got a lot harder to make sense of some of the crappy translations.

>> No.579568

>>579548
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhxfCWaXYIo
If you didn't get maximum feels listening to this after that long stretch of Midgar, I don't know what to tell you man.

>> No.579573

>>579548
You'll hear both. I like it better after Midgar but plenty of people like Midgar better.

It is really slow after Midgar for about 2 hours, though. I don't think it picks up again until Nibelheim.

>> No.579570

>>579526

It's been a few years, but I still remember pretty clearly things like dressing Gau up in a suit and tie to present him to his estranged father, then getting tossed out.

I remember learning about Shadow's past through dream sequences. If I find enough of them it implies pretty strongly that Shadow is Realm's father.

There's the optional cut-scene showing all the details of Edgar letting his brother be free of his responsibilities so that he could be a free spirit and live his life the way he wanted.

Though not optional, the sequence with Celes and Cid on that little island is another great character building moment (especially if you let Cid die)

There's Cyan's family, but you mentioned that already.

And how HOW can you forget Locke's story with Rachel?! That back story explains his relationship to Celes: why he's so protective of her and why he takes promises so seriously, but also why they never get together at the end! Locke has the best back story of them all!

>> No.579582

>>579568
Nope. Cosmo Canyon was pretty great though, I have to admit.

>> No.579598

For me, the game would be a perfect JRPG, if it went like this:

Midgar.
Gold Saucer. (But not the desert prison shit.) Win a submarine there.
Sail to Nibelheim and kill Sephiroth there.
Back to Midgar on a Highwind and ruin Shinra.
Marry Aerith.

>> No.579603

>>579595
It's more because I'd heard that theme way before I played the game.

>> No.579595

>>579582
It might be a nostalgia thing then. I always have to stop and listen to the music every time I get out of Midgar when I play the game again.

You'll probably like the second disc. It moves along at a quick pace for the most part.

>> No.579657
File: 259 KB, 1206x925, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

VENI VENI VENIAS

>> No.579682

Final Fantasy VII was a good game that got a lot of hype backlash due to its aggressive marketing campaign.

Also, from poorfags who could only experience the series through emulation have a huge sour grapes hateboner for everything after 6.

>> No.579679

>>579603
>>579595
I will say Aerith's theme hit me like that, though. I didn't even really like her that much, and still prefer Tifa, but dat music.

>> No.579686

>>579682
>Tripfag
>opinion as fact
>No references

Filtered

>> No.579693

>>579679
Well it is a rehash of Celes' theme, after all.

>> No.579691

>>579686
Oh no, I just got filtered by some spergy nostalgiafag who expects everyone to have an MLA bibliography for disagreeing with him! My whole day is ruined!

>> No.579698

>>579693
That reminds me, I still need to finish 6.

>> No.579710

>>578745

I'd say so. I'd recommend Xenogears over FFVII, though.

>> No.579721

Yes. It's not as good as the Jenova's Witnesses will tell you about our Lord and Saviour Sephiroth, but it's a pretty good game and you should play it.

>> No.579749

If you like JRPG's then you should play Final Fantasy VII.

Will you love it? Maybe you will, maybe you won't. I played it back in the day on the PC. Thought it was okay. Though don't listen to some of the Final Fantasy VI fanboys that say it is shit because both game do share plenty of similarities with equipping something in order to learn skills along with many characters you can swap in and out, and a non-traditional fantasy setting that the first five Final Fantasy games had.

>> No.579742

FF7's story is better than it appears, but unclear storytelling kills it sometimes. A lot of the game's events are poorly communicated, mostly involving the relationship between Sephiroth and Jenova. Also, the English translation is overall not very good. It was probably the last FF that had this problem.

>> No.579768

>>578847
>Having to learn enemy weaknesses because they are so resistant to normal attacks.

I thought Final Fantasy II was alright. No were as bad as people say it is. I just wish if they were to do a remake they would have the original creator do it rather than others since he does some impressive remakes.

>> No.579805

From the little I have seen of Crisis Core, it appears to have a much more different tone than FF7?

Because I remember 7 being rather grim if it wanted to.

>> No.579818
File: 282 KB, 1206x925, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

By far the worst part of the game.

>> No.579819

>>579818
Nah, worst is having to do chocobo racing. It's so fucking lame.

>> No.579823

>>579818
I didn't know what the fuck was going on here. Like, isn't that shit just a machine anyway?

>> No.579831

>>579823
It was tongue-in-cheek. Or it was supposed to be, anyway.

>> No.579843

>>579831
That's what I figured when I saw how quickly he comes back.

>> No.579962

>the face when you play through to the end of midgar once a year and have a blast every time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DivER5tgVzc

>> No.579973
File: 8 KB, 241x228, nervousfrog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>fighting a giant wall monster
>Cloud is hitting it for 500 damage a turn
>it's down to 4000 HP
>figure I can finish this no problem if I keep my team properly healed and protected
>Cloud gets a limit break
>expect him to get the wall monster for 1500 damage
>he hits it for 4000 and kills it in a single stroke

I don't understand these damage calculators.

>> No.579982

The graphics aged horribly but if you can get past that your fine.
>Seriously the graphics look like someone tried to inflate their beach toys by farting at them.

>> No.580005
File: 124 KB, 720x1348, Tifa_FF7_Concept_01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Find Yuffie first time.
>Ok cool I have a new member.
>Check menu.
>Uncheck
>FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I hate it, but I've used a guide to figure out what to say.
I'm not going to grind over and over just for her.
Also is it possible to get the enemy skill materia in Hojo's lab after you've left midgar.
I forgot it.

Also that mountain south of the mithril mines.
There's a minigame army thing.

Is this played out like the army battles of FF6?
Explain it to me.

Also are some of the bosses supposed ot have a final attack before they die.
Like the giant flying fish mech thing in junon harbor.

Oh and anyone see the trailer for the terribad re-release of the PC version.
Ever secodn of the trailer is FMV. Why don't they show gameplay.

One more thing. How the fuck do I use level 2 limit breaks.

>> No.580028

>>579973
FF7 has a unblalanced system in aspects
There's a mod for the pc version that's meant to re-balance the combat.

>> No.580049

>>580005
>is it possible to get the enemy skill materia in Hojo's lab after you've left midgar.
No, but there are three others, and they come at later times when you can get enemy skills that are worth shit. It's not really a huge deal.

Fort Condor (the army minigame) is basically just a dumbed-down RTS. It's sefl-explanatory. It's not really worth your time, you get mediocre rewards mostly and have to come back at weird times and do all of them in order to get the later rewards.

>Also are some of the bosses supposed ot have a final attack before they die.
Yes.

>One more thing. How the fuck do I use level 2 limit breaks.
Go to limit screen from main menu, choose "Set", set appropriate level. You can only use one level at a time.

>> No.580073
File: 38 KB, 216x461, cecil_dark_knight_kitbash_sprite.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>579462
This pisses me off at times. I enjoy both games.
But goddamn was a fair amount of it just fucking COPY PASTE.
Atleast 8 had a somewhat original plot.

Also I hate the ZAAZZLLE Designs.
And prefer the ingame original designs.
Such as
Cecil weaning actual armor and not a ninja outfit.
I prefer the stat screen sprite. Royal blue with gold trim.

I don't dislike the OLD Japanese look with the face mask.

Yet the new one is what too NINJA for it's own good.

Also the american Nintendo Power art is pretty D&D.
I don't entirely hate the water color designs of FF
Look at FF6 They're pretty good.

Yet I can't get over the ZAZZLED male characters.
They don't always feel STRONK

>> No.580107

>>578905

I feel that midgar is great, but honestly.
Midgar is the starting point.
It establish's the goals of the MC's and thier basis roles and runs with it.

Cloud: Wants to find Sephiroth.
Barret: Wants to stop shinra, save world
Red 13: find out who he really is.
Aerith: See above.
Tifa: She's like cloud, and some other stuff.

I find midgar sort of frustrating it's the intro.
Yet it's so easy and feels like a throw away area for PLOT

>> No.580116

>>580049
Thanks bro this confused me.

>> No.580129

>>580107
I only played FF7 for the first time maybe 2 years ago, but personally I thought Midgar was the best part of the game. The intro felt really fast-paced, which is a change from all the JRPGs I had been playing with really slow starts. Loved how quickly this one got you into the action first, and then slowed down after blowing the first reactor to give more detail on party members and explain combat and menus and all of that.

>> No.580121

>>579843
Yeah, it's a fun joke about a trivial death to foreshadow the non-trivial death that happens very shortly afterward.

>> No.580131

>>580005
What the fuck is with Nomura's legs
The rest of his art is perfectly fine and his anatomy is good everywhere else. Why are the legs 80% of their body?

>> No.580147

>>580131
TO SUPPORT HER GIANT TITS

>> No.580162

>>580129
Yeah your right, As a person who's played bits of most of the FF games. I felt as if FF&'s opening was like a BABBIES first RPG. The opening is really simple.

It really ramps up difficulty later on

That feel when killing the Zolom at level 17.
Though midgar does have the best atmosphere.

I feel that they could of made the entire game about blowing up the reactors.
Yet honestly that would of gotten real repetitive.

>> No.580251
File: 208 KB, 1206x925, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>white people problems

>> No.580302

>>579819
>Can't breed a Chocobo
>"It's so fucking lame"
Get good, kid.
But seriously a gambling addiction helps

>> No.580359

>>580251
"Now with Shinra out of the Mako business, we can get back to burning coal which is safe and clean and totally good for the planet"

>> No.580401

>>579819
>Not constantly resetting the console to totally abuse the breeding mechanic and getting the gold chocobo in less than an hour

>> No.580543

>>580359

Coal energy will make the planet slightly warmer and raise the sea level. Mako energy makes the entire planet die and shatter into pieces.

>> No.580584

>>580543
And soot, lots of soot.

Yeah, I know they're on different levels of destruction, but I found it somehow amusing.

>> No.580701

>>579448
>plot twist totally emasculated Cloud
I liked that. I hate shitty "badass" characters. I don't get the love for the likes of Squall and Auron at all.

>> No.580730

>>579505
He wasn't plucky, and he was trying to redeem himself after doing horrible things.

>> No.580748

mfw setzer is the only good FF character in kingdom hearts.
FF& is whored too much

>> No.580770

A guy I knew played FF7 for the first time ever a few years back and loved it. So while it's only a singular anecdote I think it still shows that it isn't simply liked for nostalgia reasons.

>> No.580821

I see much more complaining about how much praise FF7 gets than actual praise for FF7

>> No.580834

>>579448
>but also because immediately afterwards he gets all whiny and lame.

Having just played through that section I can assure you that's not true. After he wakes up from his coma he becomes more determined than ever to kick ass and chew bubblegum. The only time I'd consider him to be whiny is during his whole existential lifestream crisis, and that last like 30 minutes of game time.

Personally I enjoyed that he had a character arc. He started out strong and confidant, but with lingering doubts about his past. He spends the remainder of disc one slowly loosing his grip on himself until he finally looses it, forcing him to piece himself back together and become stronger than before. He then goes on to spearhead the fight for the planet while simultaneously settling a deep personal score with his evil rival.

...and the Advent Children happened...

>> No.580879

>>580834
>The only time I'd consider him to be whiny is during his whole existential lifestream crisis
That's not even whiny so much as it is his mind stripped bare of defenses.

I don't think he was strong and confidant in the beginning of the game; that was the image he projected, but in retrospect it was clear that the only thing holding him together was his delusions.

>> No.580880

>>579819
Y'know, I remembered Chocobo breeding and racing to be incredibly time consuming when I was younger and first helping my brother do it, and then doing it myself.

I just got a Gold Chocobo in my current playthrough and it only took me like 4 game hours. Shits not bad when you know what you're doing.

Now i'm using him to backtrack and learn all the E-skills I missed to fill up all 4 materias. Now THAT is fucking time consuming...

>> No.580919

>>580879
True. I forgot how the beginning of the game is taking place only a few months or so after he got out of the tank in the Nibelheim basement. The adaptation of Zack's persona and Tifa's support are probably the only things that got him through at the time.

>> No.581135 [DELETED] 

>>578780

>8 and 10

You're the very worst sort of person.

>> No.582946 [DELETED] 

>>581135

>implying 10 is not the best

no u

>> No.582970 [DELETED] 

>>582946
Wow dude kill yourself.

>> No.582976 [DELETED] 

>>581135
>>582946
>>582970

/v/ pls go

>> No.582985 [DELETED] 

>>582970

>b-but muh nostlagia

bro dude bro choke yourself to death with your own hands.

>> No.582993 [DELETED] 

>>582985
FF10 is over a decade old, gramps

>> No.583001 [DELETED] 

>>582993

>FF1 to 6 is almost 2 decades old

nah I'm still feeling young.

>> No.583005

I only beat FF1 a few years ago, and never tried the others. I don't remember the story in FF1 at all either.

What FF game should I play next? Going in order is not that important to me, provided I can understand what is going on in the plot.

>> No.583016

>>583005
Can't go wrong with 4,5,6, or 7.

>> No.583186

>>583016
That's four. Can you give me one?

>> No.583191

>>583186
go buy your own games

>> No.583203

>>583191
I meant can you narrow it down to one recommendation, not literally GIVE me a game.

>> No.583247

>>578745
just play it. if you have any interest in jrpgs whatsoever you should. as long as you are not a total graphics whore, chances are you will like it a lot.

i mean, look how many threads people have been posting about the game since the 90s. it must be worth checking into?

>> No.583306

OP, the last couple days I started up FF7. The problem I had when I played it at 13 was questionabel reading comprehension, and I just bombed through it - not sure how I even managed how to be honest. Future attempts had me feeling bored, because I felt like I had seen it all before, but I was missing the most important part of the game - let along in RPGs in general. I never paid two fucks to the story. The graphics are charming. The story has my interest. I like it. Revisit the game - play it. Enjoy it - don't worry about this board. As much as I appreciate elitism - you have to take it with a grain of salt.

>> No.583313

>>583186
I vote for V. It's not overhyped and still one of the best FF games.

>> No.583436

>>583186
If you're resolved to play to the end no matter what I'll recommend 5 for it's gameplay. If you're unsure then definately go for 4 because it's the easiest to get into by far. If you want to go SNOWBOARDING FUCK YEAH you need to play 7.

>> No.584013

I hate, hate, HATE what the various anime series involving FFVII characters did to them.
Polite sage.

>> No.585030

>>578745
I feel as if this game was one of the most important I have ever played. Involing the impacting story of cloud's struggles. The game paved the way for future video gameplay for me. I think without playing ffvii I wouldn't care about video games in general. Sure the graphics are bad but that's not what counts. What counts is how much you can relate to cloud or even seperoth for seeking meaning in life. What kind of empathy you have for the characters.judges how much you like the game

>> No.585171

>FF7 has terrible pacing
Stop using buzzwords and user proper

>FF7 has FILLER in the first disc
It's not filler since all of it either builds on established characters through character developement, sets up plotlines for later in the game, or establishes the world and its history.

Heck backtracking isn't even much of a thing in FF7 provided you don't do the Chocobo sidequest or power level to fight Emerald Weapon so filler doesn't even apply then.

>> No.585178

>>585171
>Stop using buzzwords and user proper
Shit. Meant to say:

>Stop using buzzwords that don't mean anything to anyone but yourself since I can't read your mind to know what the fuck terrible pacing even means in context to FF7.

>> No.585263

>>585171
There are 122 posts now, so I'm not going to look through them all to find out who you're replying too, but I don't understand what is meant by terrible pacing? FFVII actually flows pretty well. Midgar is perhaps a tad long, but it's also introducing most of the main cast and setting up the rest of the story. You can generally go through new ares briskly, seeing new sights and enemies with little challenging bosses if you don't actually train. Bad pacing to me would be something like Dragon Quest 8, which I do love by the way, but really you can't just keep moving through it, you are forced to tedium for training and leveling for particular abilties. Looking at you Multi-Heal Dhoulmagus fight.

>> No.588598

Story sucks. Decent size. Bad graphics. Good battle system. Play it once, skip 8, play 9. Anyone who says different is just giving it lip service because it was either their first RPG or their first FF. Truefax.

>> No.588883

>>578745
Yes. I'm not a big fan of the Materia system and the translation is fucking awful, but it's still something that every JRPG fan should play.

>> No.588895

Yes. My fiance is actually playing through it now, for the first time (he grew up in a house where Japan was the devil, so he never played RPGs growing up) and he's having a blast with it.

It's not overly in-depth, like you'll find in a lot of newer RPGs. That may be a positive or negative thing for you. Personally, I like it.

>> No.588926

Played it for the first time in January. It blew all expectations and wowed me from beginning to end. One of the few games I've played that lives up to the hype.

>> No.588941

>>588598
But I played 9 as my first serious RPG and prefer 7, which I played years later.
9 moves at the pace of a fucking snail for the first disc and the story has a weird shift into a space sci-fi about Garland out of nowhere somewhere in the last third of the game. I also happened to like Materia more than the ability system, but thats subjective.

It's good, but 7 feels more consistent both in terms of pacing and tone.

>> No.588989

I like 7, it's p fun. not my favorite game or even favorite jrpg but it definitely has a place in my heart.

I personally love the materia system as it made everyone as customizable as possible. the story, at the time it came out, was deep enough for my teenage brain but as an adult its nothing amazing but still entertaining as fuck.

>> No.590774

7 is worth playing.

If it means anything, the game is good enough that I took the time to install and find all of the fan made patches so that I could install my original PC copy.

Of course when the rerelease came out a while ago I bought it and replayed it.

>> No.590793

>>588598
I played 8 as my first FF (apart from the second gameboy release) and I love it.

8 gets a lot of hate, but I like the summoning system, the card game, I actually like the characters and think the whole time compression thing was pretty cool.