[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 48 KB, 640x440, Doom_64-box-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5770060 No.5770060 [Reply] [Original]

Doom 64 is the most aesthetically cohesive classic Doom game. It doesn't feel like a hodgepodge. The visuals, music, and gameplay all work together. Doom/Doom II are fun games, but they're basically kinda random with plagiarized metal music playing in the background. Doom 64 has an art style tailored to the themes of the game. Its level design complements the art style. Its music complements the level design and art style.

>> No.5770078

2dark

>> No.5770117

doesnt this game run like ass though? on original hardware?
doom 1 and 2 weren't random at all, they had a very cohesive design
sounds like you're just a contrarian

>> No.5770127

Well... yeah.
Doom was initially developed as shareware and that comes with a certain indie flavor.
Doom II was just an extension of Doom.

Doom 64 is the first fully commercial release designed that way from the ground up.

>> No.5770139

>>5770117
>doesnt this game run like ass though? on original hardware?
It's the only classic Doom game that runs at 30fps instead of 35fps. And its performance on the original N64 is absolutely flawless.
>>5770117
>doom 1 and 2 weren't random at all, they had a very cohesive design
Put it another way. You can clearly tell who designed which maps in classic Doom. People had to ask the devs who made which maps in Doom 64. There's a sense of unity and cohesion to Doom 64. They also feel far more architecturally sensible. Doom/Doom II were to some degree defined by their extreme abstraction. Gameplay first. Doom 64, being a slower paced game with a horror vibe, has more intimate level design with a much stronger emphasis on how the design looks and feels.

>> No.5770140

>>5770117
>doesnt this game run like ass though? on original hardware?
Not at all, very smooth framerate.

>> No.5770151

>--Fun fact. The reason Doom64 is so dark, is because we (the Level Designers) were developing it in our offices, which had no windows and we kept the lights off. To us, it looked great! Then, when it went to QA, in their florescent bathed room light, they couldn't see anything. At. All. Hence, the gamma slider was added which literally saved us. That mistake was on us 3 LD's. And I've never developed anything in the dark again. Strong lesson learned.

>> No.5770152

>--There was a Doom64 sequel, called Absolution, in the works. We had a fair number of levels done but the top priority was multiplayer, which was already in and fully playable. It was great, despite the whole 'can see you on the same TV' thing. The levels we had done, if memory serves, took place on the moon (or some planet) surface. We were getting better with abusing our custom scripting system and had some cool stuff in the works. The reason it wasn't completed is a bit of politics, but mostly, we (Midway) had been tapped to do Quake64 and resources went there. Doom64 did do pretty well, but the thought was Quake64 was going to do much better than another sequel. We (the D64 LD team) were already editing Quake levels in our spare time by then, but were not part of the Q64 team (politics mostly).

>--The scripting system made Doom64 so unique. Every idea we had, from copying a sectors floor/wall/ceiling texture tags, lighting info, to timed delays (spinning lights, etc) that could all be bound to one function, made D64 what it is. As fast as we could come up with ideas, Aaron (the coder) got them in. It was much like Basic - linear list of functions based on line numbering.

>> No.5770169

>>5770152
>one coder
this wouldnt fly for a triple a game now, amazing

>> No.5770204

Which Doom 64 port is the most accurate? Doom 64 EX is the gold standard historically, but I see people claiming GEC Master Edition is better. It's kinda hard to get a straight answer because a lot of Doom oldschool fans are anally fixated on mod support which Doom 64 EX has a limited version of compared to other projects.

>> No.5770217

>>5770139
>Put it another way. You can clearly tell who designed which maps in classic Doom.
How is this a bad thing? I always found maps that you can see the authors personality inside made for a more interesting experience, myself.

>> No.5770219

>>5770117
For an N64 game, Doom 64 actually ran decently.

>> No.5770260

>>5770151
First thing I did when I got this game as a kid was push the brightness to maximum for this reason.

>> No.5770329

>>5770117
kys fucking retard, doom 64 is a treasure

>> No.5770365

>>5770060
Doom's varied aesthetics were a result of its experimental design, graphics were made in numerous ways;
>digitized toys (toy guns, painting over toys in post, etc)
>digtized clay models
>digitized steel models with latex skins
>digitized whatever was lying around, stuff like a pair of snakeskin boots, computer parts, or a scrubbed knee
>painted by hand on a computer
>new sprites frankensteined from other sprites
>drawn with pencil then scanned in and post processed
>stuff from resource libraries
The visual style is pretty mixed, but ultimately feels coherent enough that it all fits together, looking like a good B-horror movie. There's a lot of color and variety, and it can be used to make quite a lot of different sorts of levels.

Doom 64 looks good, but it's far less visually varied, the style is very cohesive but also not too varied.
Some people like its music a lot, but I think it's kind of boring, because it never really strays from the one style of slow and moody atmospheric tracks, it's a bit like Quake's soundtrack but not as interesting or as good at setting a mood.
Comparatively, though the original Doom music is cribbed from lots of metal, rock, and some movie scores, it has just a lot more variety, some levels have a fast rock theme to them, other levels go for something much slower and moodier, and ends up with great and atmospheric melodies.
To me, E2M6, with its twisted and dark labyrinths, set to a sinister and foreboding droning melodic theme, which feels like it constantly builds up the tension and never stops, is a lot more atmospheric and spooky than the average D64 map.
Doom 64s music sounds almost all the same IMO.

Doom 64 is good, I think people should play it, but I don't think it has as much charm or character as the originals.

>> No.5770368

>>5770139
>Put it another way. You can clearly tell who designed which maps in classic Doom. People had to ask the devs who made which maps in Doom 64.
That's absolutely true, the original games have the devs' personalities all over the things. You look at who they are, and you immediately see where their work or influence went.

>> No.5770373

>>5770151
That's pretty funny. Worked out though.

>>5770169
Games were much smaller then.
I'd love to see AAA studios go assemble and fund some small teams, give them everything they need and have them make a game they think would be good and fun to play.

>> No.5770380

I remember thinking it was pretty gina when I played it back in the day. I do like the horror tone they gave, and while I of course appreciate the hard rock horror theme of the originals, mixing it up was a great move, really makes it stand out from the rest of the franchise. The monster sound effects are nice, namely the former human laugh.

>> No.5770461

>>5770117
It runs fine. In fact I imagine that since it doesn't render enemies or stuff as 3D models, rather just 2D sprites, it's probably less resource intensive than some other games on the system.

>> No.5770464

>>5770380
Going in a new direction certainly was the right choice.
I think that was the right thing to do for Doom 4, rather than just trying to do the classics again (which would be a real tall order anyway IMO) they did something a bit different, and even if it didn't come out excellent, they at least tried with Doom 3 (they wanted it to be horror, but really didn't have a very solid grasp on what made good horror).

>> No.5770472

>>5770204
EX works fine.

Bethesda just recently published ports on the Nintendo Switch of Doom and Doom 2, these ports are looking pretty goddamn bad, however, it's been leaked that they're also planning on porting Doom 64 on modern systems, and evidence points towards Nightdive Studios being the people making the port, which would be pretty ideal, as the lead dev there is Kaiser, who made Doom 64EX 'back in the day'.
Supposedly it's due soon.

They also recently released a port of Doom 3 BFG Edition to the Switch, which seems to not have been fucked up at all, compared to the terrible ports by Nerve Software (who didn't even include their acclaimed No Rest For The Living episode).

>> No.5770474

>>5770204
GEC is the best one in GZDoom, EX is still great overall

>> No.5770490

>>5770472
Unfortunately some of the issues with Doom/Doom 2 are inherited from the XBLA versions. The slowed down music is a sample rate error. One hopes this gets patched if enough people kick up a fuss.

>> No.5770864

Reminder that while Brutal Doom 64 is an okay-ish mod, it completely misses the point of Doom 64 in terms of aesthetics and atmosphere.

>> No.5770890

>>5770864
IMO I think BD64 is substandard in ways I think normal Brutal isn't.

>> No.5771125

I'd be real interested in a documentary covering DOOM 64's development.

>> No.5771136

>>5771125
http://sourceforge.net/projects/doom64ex/files/docs/doom64_techbible.pdf/download

>> No.5771153

>/v/ cares more about aesthetics more than actual gameplay
And no one is surprised, since /v/ spends more time watching e-celebs play videogames than playing videogames.

>> No.5771301

>>5771153
Woops, looks like you posted on the wrong board, you should probably scurry back home to where you belong.

>> No.5771367

>>5770060
is this /doom/ general? Has anybody else played Psychophobia? Does it have any following or recognition? I remember playing it ages ago and decided to play it again recently. Despite being fairly "modern", it's a great WAD

>> No.5771418

>>5771301
You saying this isn't a /v/-tier thread? Fuck off.

>> No.5771426

>>5770060
Way, WAY too dark and looks like shit. It was also designed for consolebabbys so the level design suffers.

>> No.5771441

>>5770060
Lame attempt by consolefags to claim Doom as theirs because they discovered the series in 2016 after play Zoomer Doom

>> No.5771446

I absolutely loved Doom 64. I actually favor it over both the original Doom and Doom 2 despite my love for both.

I need to get a PC "homebrew" of it.

>> No.5771458

>>5771441
People have been fawning over Doom 64 since forever, even 10 years back people were talking about how it was "the real Doom 3".

>> No.5771470

>>5771458
>Real Doom 3
Literally the same horror atmosphere over actual gameplay bullshit, just not taken to the same extreme.

>> No.5771538

Doom 64 is blisteringly good. I only played it for the first time this year (on PC) and it surprised me A LOT.

The atmosphere and level progression were really good.

It makes me wonder how it would've gone down on PC but I guess everyone had moved on to Quake...

>> No.5771552

>>5771458
If by """people""" you mean consolebabbys then sure.

>> No.5771562

>>5771441
>>5771552
we heard you the first time samefag

>> No.5771690

>>5771136
Oh hey, neat. Thanks.

>> No.5771702

>>5771441
>>5771470
>>5771552
zoom zoom

>> No.5771705

>>5770060
The PC sourceports are much better than the original N64 release due to reasons stated above. It's a great game though it lacks some monsters such as the revenant and Archvile.

>> No.5771761

>>5771705
I'd like to see the missing monsters updated in Doom 64's style. I'm pretty fond of what they did with the pain elemental despite it looking totally different

>> No.5771803

>>5771761
People are working on that actually

>> No.5771846

Doom 64 is over rated by plebs who care more about atmosphere than game play. It's a good game but none of the levels are iconic like e1m1 or dead simple

>> No.5771847

>>5771705
The archie and revenant added so much mileage to the bestiary that it really feels empty to not have them in Doom 64.

>> No.5772003

>>5771552
Are you calling the co-director of Doom Eternal a consolebabby?

>> No.5773112

>>5771426
Please explain to me what and how level design suffers because Doom is not that complex of a game you fucking retard.

>> No.5773117

You all talk about Doom 64, but what about PSX Doom, the game from which D64 came? It has the original Doom's maps, graphics and sprites, but it also has the colored lighting, the animated fire skybox and the same OST (at much higher. CD quality) and sound effects as D64. And it doesn't miss the chaingunner and revenant (but still misses the archvile, unfortunately).

>> No.5773150

>>5773117
Midway's PS1 games are stuck in a midway point. They're stylistically caught between id Doom and Doom 64. PS1 Doom builds on top of Doom II. Doom 64 reuses no assets from Doom 2. It's a clean break.

PS1 Doom deserves way more recognition, that said.

>> No.5773204

>>5773150
It was an amazing port. At a time when most Doom ports included only episodes 1 and 2, episode 3 if they were lucky, PSX Doom also had episode 4 and all of Doom 2. And if Ultimate Doom was played on Ultra Violence, it featured Doom 2 monsters on Doom 1 maps, but still no Super Shotgun. E1M1 alone has chaingunners and even a Pain Elemental.

>> No.5773231
File: 554 KB, 589x648, doomPSX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5773117
PSX Doom is pretty much alright.
Not the best performance at all times, but it will run, lacks the Arch-Vile, which is a shame, but everyone else is there (Revenant sometimes takes his spot in a map, but he's nerfed too, which sucks). No Icon Of Sin, but he wasn't exactly a great boss, and would have presented a few difficulties with the hardware.
There's no actual Nightmare! difficulty, because it would have fittingly been nightmarish for the hardware in question (most console ports lack it, in fact).
Very few people actually play Nightmare! though, so that's fine.

New sound effects are alright, I prefer the original ones but these work, they go nicely with the added reverb effect you can find in maps now. It's not entirely unusual to find that map packs or mods people make for PC Doom will have one or two of them. The colored sectors help add back a little bit of flavor where they had to simplify map geometry.
Some people like the new music, but I think it's boring as fuck. I prefer putting on some Judas Priest, Slayer, and Black Sabbath in the background, etc.
On the highest difficulty, you'll occasionally find a Doom 2 monster in a Doom 1 map, usually a lone one in a secret area. It's technically possible to get the SSG in the Doom 1 part of the game, but you do so with a secret map almost by the end of it so that's a bit annoying, with cheats you could have it and use it of course.

Considering how many ports of the era were quite lackluster, PSX Doom stands out for working fine, and also offering some new content.
If you like normal Doom, you'll probably like PSX Doom at least reasonably.

>> No.5773245
File: 35 KB, 425x375, playstation mouse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There was the Final Doom release on Playstation as well, which supported the Playstation Mouse peripheral, and had an all new set of levels.

This release is less satisfying, because though it's called Final Doom, it's like most of TNT Evilution (alright, I like TNT), then a bunch of the Master Levels, many which I think are way too similar (these were a chore and not fun), along with just a few maps of The Plutonia Experiment at the end.
Granted, a lot of Plutonia frequently was actually beyond the limits of the original .exe (too many visplanes and things), so on that you would have to butcher a lot of those maps, but mind that there's still no Arch-Vile, and Revenant is nerfed, and Plutonia in particular used these monsters rather cleverly, including its famous Map 11, and I imagine you just wouldn't have that much of a satisfying product using more of those levels anyway.

It also had slightly lower performance on average, IIRC.

>> No.5773250
File: 47 KB, 960x720, maxresdefault[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Doom 64 is the best classic Doom game IMO. I really love how moody it is, feels like a true horror game.

>> No.5773262

>>5773245
It's nevertheless one of the very few Final Doom rereleases ever. While the number of Doom 1/2/Master Levels/NRFTL releases are countless, I can only recall three Final Doom releases, the original, the Doom collection from 2003, and this Playstation port.

>> No.5773282 [DELETED] 

>>5771846
>>5771552
>>5771441
samefag.

>> No.5773284

>>5771153
>>5771426
>>5771441
>>5771552
>>5771470
>>5771846
samefag.

>> No.5773316

>>5773262
It was also released with Doom Classic Complete, which was basically the full Doom iwad package, Ultimate, Doom 2, NRFTL, Master Levels, TNT, and Plutonia.

On PC I think you can still grab Final Doom for just a few dollars on GOG or Steam.

>> No.5773357

>>5770151
How retarded are these devs? They made the entire game and never once thought to turn the lights on to see how people playing it normally would see it? Jesus christ.

>> No.5773371

>>5770127
This better be bait.
>Doom was initially developed as shareware and that comes with a certain indie flavor.
No it wasn't you fucktarded zoomer. It just used the shareware method to spread awareness of the game, like how magazines used demo discs to give people a taste of games they might buy.
>Doom 64 is the first fully commercial release
No it wasn't underage git. Not only did Id not develop Doom 64 (they only supervised it, with Midway doing the bulk of development in San Diego), they already had commercial products released.
Congrats, you're officially the biggest retard on the board.

>> No.5774305

shame everything has about 2 frames of animation

>> No.5774368
File: 2.33 MB, 640x480, the spiral watch me die 0'20.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

based thread

>> No.5774374

>>5773371
what an impolite post. you should really think about other people's feelings before you reply.

>> No.5774695

based spoopy ost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ghG072FUY

>> No.5774696

>>5774695
Unironically haunting. Pretty gina, to be honest. .

>> No.5774718

>>5774374
but hes right

>> No.5775048

>>5773357
Cause real gamers darken out their rooms to pitch black levels. Fucking newfags, I swear.

>> No.5775056

>>5770060
Just bought this yesterday.

>> No.5775065

>>5773357
Because back in those days we all played on CRT screens which glared up like crazy if there was a single photon in the same area code, so if you wanted to get a good look at your game you had to turn down the lights and shut your blinds.

Doom 64 looks perfectly fine if you dim your lights, slightly dark, but they also went for a certain atmosphere.

>> No.5775067

>>5773371
In fairness, the Shareware quality drop was a well known thing. BUILD and Doom engine games distributed as shareware tended to frontload all their best content, leaving the rest of the game with scraps. Sometimes good scraps, but scraps nonetheless.

>> No.5775070

>>5775067
I really don't agree with this sentiment, I think games like Duke, Doom, and Quake had its better content in the following episodes.
IMO Doom's E2 is far more fun than its E1, the levels are more challenging and exciting, they're more interesting to explore, they're more visually varied and atmospheric, with a lot of infernal hell stuff meeting with manmade techbases. There's also more kinds of monsters, with more complex encounters.

I'd concede that Quake comes lacking as it only really has one bossfight and it's in the first episode, then nothing afterwards, but it more than makes up for that with some very good levels.

>> No.5775078

>>5774305
Has anyone made a Smooth Doom64?
I know Smooth Doom as an option to use the Doom64 weapons but there's nothing for Doom64EX?

>> No.5775082
File: 108 KB, 320x240, doom64-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The soundtrack made for Doom 64/PS1 is fucking amazing:
https://youtu.be/leUcIpcMZRs
It's the reason I like playing Quake 1&2 on N64 as well.

>> No.5775087

>>5775082
PS1 version:
https://youtu.be/HRPgaZmXMBE

>> No.5775152

>>5775082
The composer (Aubrey Hodges) sells the soundtracks via Bandcamp - or you can get them elsewhere for free obviously - and the Doom 64 has a bunch of tracks which didn't make the final game. It's over 8 hours long.The PSX one is 5 and a half hours long.
Well worth (soul)seeking out.

>> No.5776804

Reminder that in Doom 2016, it is mentioned that the demons lured the Doom Slayer into the Blood Keep and sprung a trap on him.

The Blood Keep is from Doom 64.

>> No.5776829

>>5771153
>letting your ‘e-celeb’ psychosis bleed into every topic you discuss
wow what a legend you are

>> No.5776842

>>5773371
Shareware games always had a winking indie flavor to them compared to full commercial PC releases and even more so compared to console games.

Your note about who developed Doom 64 is irrelevant.

>> No.5776925
File: 72 KB, 894x894, doom___pain_elemental_by_highdarktemplar_d5gv9r3-pre.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wish they would make another horror themed Doom.

>> No.5777010

>>5771153
Why are some people here obsessed with imaginary people?

>> No.5777098

>>5770060
I see your Doom 64 and raise you Doom (GBA)

>> No.5777103

>>5770060
Nice YLYL thread OP, I lost.

>> No.5777249

If anything, Doom 64 absolutely nails an oppressive and dark atmosphere. I really like it's dark/industrial ambient BGM. Doom's MIDI metal is great and all, but Doom 64's BGM is just fantastic, and I love that the PS1 port of Doom had a new soundtrack made by the same composer and made it such a more atmospheric experience.

>> No.5777332

>>5770060
DOOM64 sprites are utter fucking dogshit, and are only enjoyed by the kinds of people who unironically play DOOM games with disgusting sprite-smoothing filters on.

>> No.5777358

>>5777332
>Former Soldiers/Shotgun Guys: look like normal humans
>Cyberdemon: looks like Dopey Dog
>Mancubus: looks like a fucking Poke'mon
>Arachnotron: looms like some goofy Transformer
>Caco and Pain Ele: both just look like smudged-up versions of themselves, plus it's painfully clear to anyone not retarded that they switched sprites at some point during development since now the Pain Ele has all these Caco traits (green eye, red flesh, no arms) and the Caco vice versa (pale flesh, huge eye, arms, horns) yet no one ever talks about this retarded decision
>Imp and Pinky: ironically look more "claymation" than the originals
>Mother Demon: looks like someone scanned a pile of their shit and turned it into a xenomorph reject with stupid smudgy red eyes

Literally the only decent monster out of all of them is the Lost Soul. Also the game is missing like a quarter of the monster roster. Fuck Doom 64

>> No.5777359

>>5777332
They're fine because they are based on CGI models rather than sprite art. The former smooth out properly.

>> No.5777479

>>5777332
I'll say they're actually pretty overrated, but most of them look ok.

>> No.5778639

>>5775082
>>5775087
The N64 version sounds more evil and creepy, but the PS1 version sounds sad and depressing, inducing a feeling of hopelessness, making you feel you're really in hell.

>> No.5778656

What is everyone's opinion on Doom 64 EX?

And how does it compare to existing mods that sorta "reconstructs" the full Doom 64 game?

>> No.5779672

>>5778656
EX is a port and the others are simply recreations so in that sense it may be a bit unfair to compare them really because they had different scopes - but yeah if you want to play Doom 64 as close as intended, EX is by far the way to go.
Plus it's almost a certainty that the upcoming console ports of Doom 64 will use versions of EX (with Kaiser tweeting about Doom 64 and retweeting the news about it), which is very welcome news.

>> No.5779752
File: 29 KB, 640x480, Doom64PainD64ex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5770060
>viewmodels which merely jiggle in lieu of being animated
>retarded redesigns of iconic enemies, claymated
>muted and colourless world
doom64 is fun, it's another classic doom game, but it's a visual mess. it's ugly.

>> No.5779761

>>5779752
>claymated
The irony is that Doom 64 used pre-rendered 3D models to make its sprites, while the original Doom actually used clay sculpting to make some of its own.

>> No.5780543

>>5776804
Deepest lore, anon.

>> No.5780547

>>5778656
EX is okay and has a lot of inaccuracies. The best version of the game is still the 64 original.

>> No.5780595

>>5780547
>a lot of inaccuracies
I didn't know it had a lot, what are they?

>> No.5780656

>>5770365
OG Doom hell is the best because 1 theres so much you can do with the textures and props and 2 they help to make hell scarier by how abstract and fucked up it looks
All without Doom 3's jumpscares and lightning or 2016's "lore" that makes hell otherwise less threatning
Doom's textures are one of the main factors on why it is still getting fanmade levels

>> No.5780672

>>5780656
doom 3 hell is like a nice ultra comfy dungeon in oblivion

>> No.5780901

>>5770204
I tried EX but it felt like it was microstuttering. So I moved to Absolution and haven’t looked back

>> No.5780919

>>5778656
Doom 64 EX is basically a more faithful version of Doom 64 Absolution. Kaiser made both. The chief difference is that Doom 64 has engine modifications to behave like the N64 original, and it doesn't take liberties like Absolution did.

I think that Doom 64 EX crashes if you run video recording software. I've been able to reliably cause a crash using Afterburner. I suspect this is why some people complain about it being unstable. Also, while it is open source, none of the changes since 2014 have been officially distributed.

>> No.5780921

>>5779752
>>muted and colourless world
Doom 64 is a far more colourful game than Doom/Doom II due to having a much deeper palette. The trick, mind you, is that most textures in the game are greyscale and the colour comes from the lighting system.

>> No.5781146

>>5780656
I agree, though I actually quite like Doom 3s hell levels, they're some of the best parts of that game.

>>5780672
I'd argue it's better, since you don't end up doing so damn much of the same thing and seeing so much of the same stuff.

>> No.5781164

Doom 64 has worse map design and enemy placement than fucking Doom 4

>> No.5783075

>>5779672
>>5780547
>>5780919
Alright guys.

Thank you.

>> No.5783280
File: 61 KB, 1200x947, 1564716165127.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>arguing about opinions again

>> No.5783737

>>5781164
Doom 4 is fine

>> No.5783797

>>5770060
Has anyone tried AI upscaling Doom 64?

>> No.5784072

>>5783737
It's a fun game, but the level design is kinda weak, it relies too often on locking you into arena spaces and making you fight a gauntlet of monsters, and it gets a bit monotonous at times.

The devs have even acknowledged this, and have said they're planning something better for Doom Eternal.

>> No.5785572

>>5770472
>it's been leaked that they're also planning on porting Doom 64 on modern systems
Don't get your hopes up.
While I'd love to see a 64 port, keep in mind there was no rating for doom 3 and the 64 rating was later taken down. So it's likely doom 64 was supposed to be doom 3's rating. Maybe bethesda said "rate the first 3 doom games" and the rater heard it as "rate the first 3 numbered games"

>> No.5785607

>>5785572
I heard Kaiser insinuate he's involved, no truth to that?

>> No.5785614

>>5785607
We have no idea.
He's been kinda hinting at it, retweeting the dude who first posted the doom 64 rating, along with him doing the eyes emote under certain posts about 64 so who knows.
Considering he made ex though, he could very well just be doing that because he loves doom 64 and we're all analyzing it too deeply.
Afaik nightdive hasn't reacted to any of the rumors yet

>> No.5785662

>>5785572
Kaiser was wandering around Quakecon making weird remarks about Doom 64 before the rating leaked.

>> No.5785698

>>5770490
Those issues weren't in the XBLA versions though.

>> No.5785705

>>5785662
True, but again that could stem from the fact that he just *really* likes doom 64.
Although, Stephen's (CEO of nightdive iirc) did take a pic of the doom 64 speedrun with the caption "DOOM 64 When??" He didn't do that for any other speedrun I don't think, so maybe they are on to something.

>> No.5785910

>>5785698
The music problem first appeared in the XBLA version.