[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 43 KB, 342x341, 71WTlcU5KvL._SX342_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5763346 No.5763346 [Reply] [Original]

>AI actively cheats against you
>End game gauntlet consists of six duels against insanely strong decks
>Unlocking new cards is a very slow process
>Only one viable strategy
What were they thinking making the game so unfair?

>> No.5763356

The AI always input reads, always rubber bands, always does things the player cannot normally do like pulling sonic booms without charging.
You on the other hand have the advantage of infinite continues and internet knowledge.

>> No.5763359

HI ME NOOB

>> No.5763369

You have infinity continues, internet knowledge, and you can hack the game.
So YOU are unfair!

>> No.5763391

>>5763369
This, just put in a gameshark or cheat engine and give yourself infinite stars. How the unlock system works in this game is you're supposed to trade cards with friends and just grind grind grind. There's no point in doing that if you're playing alone.

>> No.5763404

>>5763391
No reason to even play if you just cheat your way through it.

>> No.5763415

>>5763346
just grind meadow mage and pegasus man

>> No.5763483

the aesthetic and music in this game makes it really fun if you're suicidally depressed and have no life, but being sort of on the mend I really prefer Dragon Seeds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnVm6m8KS4&list=PLOi1NEWTH8AZAvGovE93Olk2FXtQuCOYq

>> No.5763621

Yugioh is a game that cannot be made into a compelling PVE experience because the card game is far more complicated than "play this card the moment you get it", even back in the late 90s, early 2000s. The AI would be required to "think", and the easiest way to bypass it is to make the AI cheat. But this is nothing, you should try Reshef of Destruction for the GBA. The final boss has something like 50,000 life points while you only have 8,000, among many other bullshit design choices.

>> No.5763656

Just grind equips mane, it's easier, smarter, safer and less time consuming than grinding Meteor B Dragon

>> No.5763691

>>5763656
perfect summery

>> No.5763707

Any recommended romhacks/mods for this game?

>> No.5763914

>>5763346
Ah, this game
the one I refuse to give up until I get all the cards, since 2003...

>>5763707
Try the ''Mod 13''
It's made by brazilian hackers,
but the only thing they changed is that now you can get all cards in game (even if at a slower pacing sometimes, but then again it's about luck).
I still do play this game once in a while.. Currently at 695/722.

>> No.5763918

>>5763621
Reshef has too much bullshit, I can't even come close to finishing it.

>>5763707
I'm playing the 15 card drop mod, and it's a lot more bearable than the vanilla game.

>> No.5763976

>>5763918
I was dueling against Rebecca in Reshef and she managed to equip a card on a face down monster. She can also be the first opponent you face but her cards are a lot better than the ones you start with, also you can't skip the 2 or so minute long cinematic. It's a shame cause I like the premise of going around and dueling random people as part of a tournament and explore the world, the other games feel more like simulations.

>> No.5764012
File: 1.11 MB, 535x768, TwinHeadedThunderDragon-DLG1-NA-C-UE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5763346
>just grind this character for 200 duels until you get a meteor b dragon dude
>just fuse a dragon with thunder lol
>just use megamorph bro
Kazuki Takahashi must have made a legitimately pact with the devil, how can an iteration of his game that has shit tier design and broken card drop mechanics (which are made even worse in the non-pocketstation versions) STILL have a fan following to this day and be kind of fun?

>> No.5764136

>>5763976
Scared Cards was kino, which only made Reshef even more disappointing

>> No.5764647

>>5764012
I mean in the lore of the anime/manga it's revealed that duel monsters is a modern version of a game ancient Egyptians played where they conjured demons, imprisoned them in tablets, and controlled them with millenium items, and the games were often fatal. Maybe he's the real life Pegasus. Also Atem is kind of a dick in the manga, he just fucking burns a dude for no reason, among many other things.

>>5764136
I remember criticism about Sacred Cards being the reason why Konami made Reshef so much more difficult. Looking around, it seems like 7 trials of glory is the closest to a "yugioh RPG", though I don't like how cramped the game board is.

>> No.5764834

>>5764647
Well, he was a wanted criminal that was robbing the burger king Tea worked in, he also was being a huge dick and was ordering everyone around. No wonder Atem burned the shit out of him

>> No.5765484

>>5764834
I just love how over the top the first Manga was.

>you're a rich jerk who thinks he's hot shit for being good at a card game
>so I'll just trap your soul into a card so that you can be summoned and destroyed continuously until the end of time, but not before I conjure up spirits for the actual cards
>Kaiba somehow manages to escape and then builds an amusement park filled with death traps and serial killers to get his revenge

>> No.5767240

This seems like a relevant thread to ask, have Magic and Pokémon TCG evolved as drastically as Yugioh has over the years? I also found it amusing how Yugioh essentially came out of nowhere and took over the other established TCGs, how did they manage that?

>> No.5767251

>>5767240
Unlike yugioh they both abandoned home videogame releases to focus on their online systems complete with their own economy system you can trade for real money.
Yugioh is kinda unique in that it's the only one that kept releasing single player games.
And yeah all three metas have changed a lot.

>> No.5767284

>>5764647
>he just fucking burns a dude for no reason, among many other things.
Some of his games went too far but every one of them had it coming. The thing is with Atem, if he challenges you, it's just a formality. He's already won and is just looking for a way to fuck your entire day up.

>> No.5767432

>>5764647
>he just fucking burns a dude for no reason
Dude was literally pointing a gun at him and was about to fire.

>> No.5767462

>>5767432
And was on death row, and took Anzu hostage, and murdered a guard during his escape from prison.

>> No.5767495

I remember getting this and Digimon World 3 with my birthday money. I never got very far in either game.

>> No.5767503

>>5767495
DW3 is not bad, albeit slow

FM can take you months if you don't get lucky or don't know the fusions/drops. I wonder if it was even tested before release

>> No.5767616
File: 1.74 MB, 1350x675, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5767251
I think the main reason people bought the games were for the promo cards, even if they aren't particularly great. I remember a while ago they stopped doing prismatic secret rares in favor of super rare, which IMO was a bad move as prismatic is an uncommon rarity, only used in the OCG otherwise. I also wonder who was the illustrator for some of these older cards, they all have this distinct look with thick outlines, dark colors, dynamic poses, and psychedelic backgrounds. They should bring him back, whoever it was, I doubt Takahashi drew all 8000 cards in the game, I do know a lot of these were touched up manga drawings.

>> No.5767621

>>5767432
Everyone remembers that guy, but not the high school student Atem blew up for trying to take his class's spot in the culture festival sales area.

>> No.5768045

I would love this game if it wasnt for the bullshit type advantages. you could be like 2000 attack points above the monster and still lose

>> No.5768051

>>5763404
>its okay if the game cheats
>but if you do it its wrong

>> No.5768119

>>5768045
It's a card game - mostly based on luck (that is if you know the rules very well and think couple of moves ahead).

I play the newer version of yugioh on my psp - Arc V - the duels are more fun and unpredicatable because there are more cards and new mechanics. Plus you can build a deck on your own and give it to the AI making every duel a different experience.

>> No.5768251

>>5768045
Without that though the type does almost literally nothing of worth

>> No.5768537

>>5767240
Yugioh monsters actually look like real monsters, spooky and shit.

I don't care how powerful a charizard or wargreymon is, they could be stronger than a nuclear weapon for all I care, they still aren't scary.

>> No.5768747

>>5763621
Now that we have unbeatable Chess and Go AIs, I wonder how hard it would be to make an unbeatable Yugioh AI?

>> No.5768881
File: 306 KB, 300x433, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5768537
Even Kuriboh looks somewhat menacing, and that's become sort of a "mascot" card with many variations.

>>5768045
Don't those rules only apply to Dark Duel Stories/Sacred Cards/Reshef? IIRC in FM the type advantage only gives you a 500ATK bonus, in the others it's a total KO.

>>5768119
I'm surprised with how much replay value a Yugioh game can have, even with a game as old as Eternal Dueist Soul (which is IIRC the first YGO game to feature the real life rules). It's also fun to dick around with cards before they became banned IRL or worse yet, errata'd. In EDS, the top tier strategy was to dump a bunch of powerful monsters to the GY with cards like painful choice, graceful charity, morphing jar, then summoning them with three premature burials and using giant trunade to bounce them back, in addition to having a draw engine to prevent dead draws with cards like skelengel, pot of greed, and upstart goblin. However this deck does have its weaknesses, namely morphing jar #2 and cards that banish.

>> No.5768909

The fuck. Playstation is considered retro now?

>> No.5769124

>>5768909
yes idiot

>> No.5769441

>>5768119
I played Tag Force 5 and 6 way more hours than I'm proud to admit

Fucking addictive piece of shit

>> No.5769626
File: 715 KB, 2304x1728, 20190727_175201.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Need to get my Vita modded so I can play Tag Force and stuff. Do you guys play the RL card game? I'm working on a draft cube and I've got it about 60% done right now. It's mostly old school cards, but I have some modern stuff like Link Slayer and Scapeghost. All main deck only, though.

>> No.5769686

>>5763404
What is the difference between grinding for 30 hours and just giving yourself the stars necessary to unlock cards? Grinding doesn't require skill and doesn't make you better at the game, it just eats up your time.

>> No.5769883
File: 192 KB, 477x357, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5769626
I only played it briefly with my cousin with very rudimentary rules, namely what I learned from the duelist kingdom and dark duel stories. I decided to play one of those online simulators and boy.

>there's a trap card that can be activated from the hand to destroy everything on the opponent's side
>monsters that either can't be affected by card effects or can't be destroyed
>monsters that can negate anything, including their own destruction, and then come back to the field
>mfw

>> No.5769894
File: 80 KB, 508x836, draft.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5769883
Yeah, the modern game is wild. I think some stuff s cool. But I hate the extra deck spam and excessive special summoning. Kind of defeats the purpose of calling them 'special' when they can be done multiple times a turn and consistently. If people want to play modern Yugioh, more power to them. But I'm not interested and that's why I built my cube draft.

>> No.5769915

>>5769894
So basically, the Cube format is similar to that one episode where Duke Devlin dueled Joey with random booster packs, right? And the modern metagame is only the way it is because the rules haven't changed much in the 20 years it was made. Special Summons were lenient because there were very few ways you could pull them off, fusion summoning was too slow as you needed three cards in the hand, ritual summoning needed at least 3 cards, and monster reborn and other variants were consistently limited, if not banned. Had there been a clause saying "a player is allowed 1 normal summon and 3 special summons per turn", the banlist would look a lot different.

>> No.5769920
File: 65 KB, 585x585, 1561841750680.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5763346
>about to lose the duel
>pull the cards + equips you need to beat the opponent's strongest card
>but if you actually kill that card it will immediately play magic and win
>but if you intentionally don't kill their strongest card, the AI glitches out and won't play magic
>but if your HP is low enough the AI will glitch out again and suicide its card against you, then use magic after

>> No.5769934

>>5769915
>Had there been a clause saying "a player is allowed 1 normal summon and 3 special summons per turn", the banlist would look a lot different.
Isn't that trinity format?

The only rule changes YuGiOh has had is just additions like new summoning mechanics or master rules. There's probably more but I don't follow the game anymore so IDK.

>> No.5769949

>>5769934
I still believe abuse of special summoning is why some cards have been banned, as a crude way of fixing the underlying problem. There were only four ways of special summoning a monster when the game was created; by a monster effect (mystic tomato or gate guardian's conditions), ritual summoning, fusion summoning, and summoning from the graveyard. I wish there was a comprehensive history of Japan's Yugioh scene in the 90s, the infamous Cyber-Stein for example was released at a time when the strongest fusion monster was Gaia the Dragon Champion, while Ultimate Dragon was a championship exclusive card and didn't get printed for mainstream use the following year.

>> No.5770196

>>5769883
if you want more of the old school yugioh. There is goat format. You play with the 2005 banlist. Got a really good scene with tournaments with cash prizes.

>> No.5771183

>>5770196
I'd love to try out these alternative formats irl, since I have a collection of cards cause I'm a sucker for holos. Trinity is an interesting format, if only because it makes the infamous pot of greed come with a cost; you could have a smaller deck of 30 cards with no pot, or a 35 card deck with pot. At least the modern banlist has made dark hole and solemn judgment unlimited, two of the most useful cards you can use, though with the aforementioned immune monsters I can now see why they did that.