[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 465x409, nes-kids-465x409.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
576080 No.576080[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

You know what I am talking about, you know that feeling. You wake up in the Saturday morning, it is still early, around 8:00AM, and you stroll down the stairs to the living room. In sit down on the carpet still wearing you pajamas and turn on the television. You are nine years old. You push cartridge into the slot and slide the button. It’s on, the red led shines again. You grab the controller; it’s your fix, your drug. For the next hours, you’ll be transported into another world. You’ll meet heroes, jump across vast platforms, kill enemies, grab items. There is no other feeling.
But then, suddenly, you grow up and all the games are shitty.

Tell me, /vr/, what was the last that you genuinely had “that feeling”.

>> No.576119

fuck off with your 'feels' threads.
>>>/r9k/

>> No.576162
File: 16 KB, 293x209, Twinbee NES Famicom boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Saturday
>wake up 8 AM

haha, never.

Also, I'm not sure OP... but I get that feeling often, getting high helps (inbr hurr durr 420, weed helps me relax and connecting sides of my brain that would be normally turn off, so I kind of feel like a kid again if I play stoned)

>> No.576191

You forgot, OP, this is /vr/! We still wake up and play our old retro games and get immersed in them. Well, at least I do.

>> No.576207

>Saturday morning, it is still early, around 8:00AM

Shit, son, that's LATE. By then I would have been up for at least an hour already, if not two, watching cartoons and gorging on cereal.

Video games were for after the cartoons were over. Once Soul Train came on, so did the Nintendo.

>> No.576219

>12
>wake up at 5AM to play FFVII for a few hours before I have to catch the bus
>make pancakes at 6 and eat them while I run around and fight monsters

Miss those days.

>> No.576215
File: 1.87 MB, 412x360, 1359923162006.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>576080

What kind of melodramatic nerd shit is this? Is this, like, a bad retro fanfic or something? Go play some games, dude. You're fucking weird.

>> No.576227

Waking up early Saturday morning to my older brother playing FF3, and hearing this tune:

http://youtu.be/QzR35PJgNDI

The morning sunlight added to the atmosphere; before it turned into an all-out brawl while playing Super Bomberman against each other, and then our sisters joining in the fray for a 4-way bomb-fest and many bruises being delivered after a cheap takedown.

I miss those days. At least I still play some of these games and invite the next generation to our memories.

>> No.576246

>come home from AM kindergarden
>peanut butter sandwich
>cheetos
>pop
>go in my brother's bed and play some games
fuck you brother I'm sitting in your bed whether you like it or not

>> No.576253

>>576246
>calling soda pop

>> No.576281

>>576080
Before i went off to be a cool blackbelt teaching kids, i sat down and became the warrior of my childhood, coming from my very first game

GODDAMM STROGG! I WILL TAKE BIG GUN DOWN WITH NO MORE THEN MY PISTOL!

(still looking for a DL, all i can find is the demo, could use a link here mang)

>> No.576304

>>576253
>not calling pop pop.

>> No.576305

Honestly, the last time I felt that way was this fucking weekend. I had the house to myself, just me and my kitty cat. Slept in until 11, lounged around in my underwear, and tried out Final Fantasy Dimensions and found out I really enjoyed it. I have some complaints about it, but overall I'm having a lot of fun, because it reminds me so much of FF5, which is my favourite FF game (4 and 6 are tied for second).

That was the most recent, but the best times I ever had were playing SNES RPGs back in the 90s. I remember staying at my aunt's place while my parents were out of town, and playing a rented copy of Chrono Trigger on her SNES (she only had Super Tennis). I remember coming back to the same video store to rent Chrono Trigger again a month later and being so happy that nobody saved over my game, and mildly surprised to find that my characters were a couple levels higher, as if someone had tried out my save.

>> No.576323

>>576281
I have Quake 2, but it's missing the cutscenes between levels (I deleted them to save space), you want it?

>> No.576337

>>576246
get outta my bed twerp.

>> No.576342

>>576246
>>576304
>Bounce houses

>> No.576356

>>576080

Still feel that way all the time, with games from back then and a few new ones as well.

I've just got my own moneys now

>> No.576379

I think the last time I've had that feel was when I came home from school in like 9th grade after asking out a girl and getting rejected super fucking hard. Naturally I pulled my dick and went to bed face down in a pillow of tears, then woke up and played some 007 game (not Goldeneye) all Saturday with my best friend. Felt nice. Real nice.

>> No.576375

OP please. On the weekends I would sleep in until like one or two in the afternoon.

>> No.576396

>>576246
>pomf

>> No.576393

You know what I am talking about, you know that feeling. You wake up in the Saturday morning, it is still early, around 8:00AM, and you stroll down the stairs to the living room. In sit down on the carpet still wearing you pajamas and turn on the television. You are nine years old. You push cartridge into the slot and slide the button. It’s on, the red led shines again. You grab the controller; it’s your fix, your drug. For the next minutes, you’ll be transported into another world. You’ll meet heroes, jump across vast platforms, kill enemies, grab items. There is no other feeling.

But then, suddenly, the bed room door to your parent's room opens and your Dad tells you to turn that damn game off, he's trying to sleep.

Why were in the living room playing video games when spider-man is on, anyway?

>> No.576420

>>576080

My System was in my room OP. You're also implying I wasn't up all night playing it with volume on mute.

Also no. I still like all the games I used to play save for a few that just I have realized are broken or have superior sequels, like Pokemon Yellow for example.

Hell, I just beat Star Fox on the medium path and it feels and plays just as good as it did in the day. I'm truly sorry you can't still enjoy these games.

>> No.576418

Probably the last time I felt like that was when I got a Gamecube in middle school and played the shit out of Sonic Mega Collection.

A couple years later I got a 360, but shortly after that I entered my "I've grown out of video games" phase, and also the HDD stopped working, so I was put off by the vidya until I graduated high school.

>> No.576432

>>576420
>You're also implying I wasn't up all night playing it with volume on mute
I played so much JGR and Pokemon on mute. Oh god.

>> No.576447

>>576191
This right here, fuckers. What I miss from OP's pic, though, is those other two /vr/troopers. Fuck online multiplayer.

>> No.576457

>>576447

I'm at the point where my friends don't even do that. They just talk about their lives. Boring!

>> No.576461

>>576080
>But then, suddenly, you grow up and all the games are shitty.

Nope, I'm not /v/. I still do what you described regularly.

>> No.576467
File: 223 KB, 1024x768, Lunar SS Hero Line-Up.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hrm. Last (two) times I had 'that feeling' was several months ago, through this past winter, when I was playing Lufia 1 and 2 on SNES9x. After that was playing Ys 1 and 2 Chronicles+ on Steam just a couple months ago. The next time will be right after I type this and begin to play Lunar: Silver Star (Sega CD) through Emulator.

You gotta find the shit that appeals to you, hunt it down, and then make time to do it. Come home from work, do everything you need to, then purpose to simply sit down for 8 hours and play.

It's still there, /vr/other; you just have to go find it. There are still adventures to be had; you just have to go find them.

>> No.576471
File: 59 KB, 653x367, LINUS_4F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>576420
>>576432
>mfw my mom didn't care how long we stayed up playing games so long as we kept good grades in school

>> No.576470

I don't think that at all. I dislike modern game design but I don't declare everything as shit. I understand I am not the target audience any more and just focus on what I like. Main reason why I buy older games I missed out on.

>> No.576476

>>576467

>There are still adventures to be had.

Truth. I picked up a game I never played before and even though it's old-ish it was still amazingly fun and addicting. It had a nostalgia feeling even though I never played it, because it was from the same era that I enjoy. I highly doubt you've played every game OP so go try something new from your favorite console/generation.

>> No.576485

But mom, one more battle before I have to go to bed, I can't save during the battles!
OK, one more
>10 battles later and still haven't gone to sleep

>> No.576486

>>576476
Also, if you still want new games, stop looking towards the big publishers. Plenty of indie and free games around that are great. Other games like Star Citizen, which is far from an indie game (Although has no publisher), should hopefully be awesome as well.

There's games out there, you just need to know where to look.

>> No.576507

>>576485
'Your ten minutes is up, shower time. Save and close it up.'
"But I'm almost done!"
'You can save on Minecraft at any time, get in the shower.'
"But SHE's not off Metroid!"
'She is two rooms from a save point AND SHE BETTER BE OFF THERE IN ONE MINUTE. Now get in the shower, your stronghold will still be there tomorrow.'
"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU"

My poor children.

>> No.576502

>>576080

I know what you mean OP. Some days I would wake up and remember I had this special game to play (whatever I was into at the time) and just be so happy to have another day on the Earth to enjoy that game.

Rarely happens anymore, but I wouldn't say not at all.

I felt a little bit like that with Fire Emblem: Awakening to be honest.

I do think that feeling is a lot less now, due to other life pressures and knowing I can't really justify spending the entire day playing video games anymore.

>> No.576508

>>576486
>Plenty of indie and free games around that are great.
Hahaha, that's a good one.
>There's games out there, you just need to know where to look.
Yeah, it's called the flea market.

>> No.576521

>>576080
Not always. Granted, you have to swim through more shit to find them, but good games still exist.

>Tell me, /vr/, what was the last that you genuinely had “that feeling”.
Retro: Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Non-Retro: Vanquish or Monster Hunter 3U

>> No.576528

>>576502

I bought Awakening hoping it would give me something I love as much as 7. The 3-D models put me off too much and I miss the cartoon style the 2-D had.

I hate being picky about art style and it's still a good game but... it's just not the same.

>> No.576549

Not happening to me OP. Enjoy your conformism.

>> No.576562

That summer between graduating highschool and the first year of college was the last time. It will be all of your last times, too.

That game for me was Final Fantasy 7; the PlayStation was my graduation present, along with the entire discography of Kraftwerk of the time.

Every time I re-play FF7 nowadays, I still have a Pavlovian instinct to spin Computer World at the same time

>> No.576563

>>576080

Playing Super Mario Galaxy 2.

I haven't played the first one. I bought it on sale on a whim and it sat there for a year or two. When I started playing it, I got that feel. I hadn't felt it since the snes days...and I haven't felt it since.

It's the only thing that's restored my faith in modern gaming.

>> No.576578

The last time I had this feeling was the day I got my PlayStation.
My family had a PC long before anyone else because my dad needed it for work. Every Saturday for years I would get up at 6am and bask in the glow of a big white box while clicking away with a 2-button mouse and mechanical keyboard.
When my sister got older she started getting up at the same time as me and watched cartoons in the other room.
One Saturday afternoon when I was 10 my dad came home from the store with a PlayStation, because he needed more disk space on the computer and my games were taking up the most space.
We set up the PlayStation and uninstalled my games. The next weekend when I got up I couldn't play my games because my sister was watching her cartoons.

I've never had that feeling since.

>> No.576579

>>576562

I just graduated College and I still like old games.

>> No.576592

>>576562
>That summer between graduating highschool and the first year of college was the last time. It will be all of your last times, too.
>implying I'm not a year from graduation and still enjoy the odd night of pure game binging and fun

>> No.576602
File: 9 KB, 284x284, ienjoywhatiamreading.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>576507
That's fucking kawaii.

>> No.576596

>>576592
College graduation, that is.

>> No.576598

>>576080
>But then, suddenly, you grow up and all the games are shitty
Speak for yourself. Just because YOU don't enjoy old games outside of nostalgia doesn't mean the rest of us don't.

>> No.576608

>>576457
(Im)Patiently awaiting the day my son has a log enough attention span to not swap controllers with me in mid-game and actually play.

Still great to spend the time with him, though.

>> No.576606

>>576579

Me too... but what I meant was, I don't have "that feel" anymore that OP was talking about; of reckless, giddy, carefree abandon.

I think the years in college I wasted on MMORPGs fucked with the pleasure part of my brain. I managed to peel myself off that shitty diarrhea of a genre, but I retained all the neuroses that those fucking "push the button for a reward, monkey" mechanics instill.

I did manage to beat Ultima 4, SMT: Nocturne, and Wizardry 6 within the last year though, so I'm at least trying to re-kindle my enthusiasm for actual challenge.

>> No.576623

>used to be able to binge on a videogame for 8-12 hours nonstop
>these days just get dry red eye and restlessness after 30 minutes

I'll never beat games like Jurassic Park or Gradius 3 ever again because of this.

>> No.576637
File: 56 KB, 390x371, vr - retro vidya.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm sure we all miss being able to sit down and play video games carefree.

Haven't been able to enjoy a new video game since I was 18.

>> No.576628

>>576606

I could never get into MMO's, and in fact I lost most of the friends interested in video to that genre. They all went to play that and become super involved, I didn't wanna pay per month so I was the odd one out. I'm glad I never touche them, although I did (unfortunately) play a little Maplestory with a guy, boy has that game changed a lot lately.

I don't know, I feel like games are that one activity where I do still feel giddy and carefree abandon. Maybe it will come back to you eventually.

>> No.576639

>>576447
SO much this. There's nothing that I want more than a bro who actually wants to play /vr/related games together in a room with me. The best I get is a room full of drunk dudes playing cawadoody.

>> No.576653
File: 85 KB, 800x800, 1273374588998.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not exactly retro, but I get that feel every time I play animal crossing.

>> No.576654
File: 153 KB, 297x333, Faye_disbelief.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The last?
The last what?
The last time?
Because the last time that I felt that was last summer, when I had jackshit to do except beat BreakThru without being a bitch.
And the next time will be the summer again, once I can set myself up for working at home. Maybe I can go through Spy Hunter or maybe Metal Gear.

>> No.576659

>>576637

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjikLCPeUdo

>> No.576686

Gaming hasn't changed.

We've changed.

>> No.576691

>>576686

More likely both have changed.

>> No.576697
File: 108 KB, 1152x864, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>576686

>> No.576706

>>576659
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shdgtApVPPA

>> No.576724

I was in middle school and I'd get home on a Friday. I'd pop in FFII and start from the beginning. I'd plow through as far as I could get without saving and just have a blast. I usually called it a night around 5 am or so.

I would play a lot of FFIII/VI in the late fall, when it would first get cold in the Midwest. Game just felt right at that time or the year.

>> No.576729

>>576080
can't stand 8 bit nosalgia. 16 bit is cool. also how old are you?

>> No.576734

>>576323
yes pls. If i want movies i can go to youtube

It's just...doing knife runs on RE4 made me want to play all my old childhood games like that. I wanna do a pistol run, i remember i started doing it to save ammo against some of the harder monsters.

>> No.576751

>>576706

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3FXvm1Nc3Q

>> No.576780

last time I had that feeling was when I was 11. had gotten Sonic Adventure 2 for Gamecube and tried to beat it in one day since I had no memory card

was pissed to find that there was a Final chapter months later--I shut the system off as soon as I finished the battle between Sonic and Shadow

also
>waking up at 8AM as a kid
late as shit, I'd wake up at 6AM on the dot every weekend to go lay down in between my parents in bed while we would watch Bobby's World and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers then devour cereal and wait till 11 to play video games

>> No.576802
File: 1.83 MB, 297x226, you will never be this comfy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know that feeling at all. It's not all that common anymore, but i do dedicate whole days to doing nothing, being comfy and immersing myself in some fantastic videogame.

> wake up, home alone for the weekend
> brew coffee, saunter around in underwear
> playing Dragon Quest IX around the house, enjoying that sweet exploran and craftan
> eventually fall asleep during a boss battle because i woke up too fucking early

>> No.576841
File: 37 KB, 535x577, the uglycry feel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw you will never experience playing Tomb Raider 1, 2 and 3 with your mom again in the early, drizzling morning

f-fuck...

>> No.576851

I've honestly never had a cartridge-based home console. Closest thing was a Commodore 64.

We were poor, so we just played computer games and emulators until around 1997 when my dad bought us a Playstation after getting a raise at his job.

A Super Nintendo is the next thing I'm going buy, though. I absolutely must have all of those games I emulated and loved in physical cartridge form.

>> No.576864

>>576841
>tfw you will never ask your mom to finish the "scary" parts of Chronicles again while you hide your face from the pale gnomes

:(

>> No.576885

>>576851
>TFW all your dad plays now is modern warfare whatever while at the same time complaining all new games are shitty but old games are too old and should be left in the past.

>> No.576902

>>576885
My dad refuses to play anything except Stronghold these days. It's a step up, I guess, but I do miss watching play Baldur's Gate and Stonekeep.

>> No.576938

>>576851
They had emulators in the early ninties? That doesn't sound right to me.

>> No.576959
File: 168 KB, 400x544, f1654252864d1c526411a2f28067015c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>576162
I have the same experience but for me it's kinda different. I find that I have a really hard time tuning out the real world and just get really stressed out that I should be working on something more important instead of wasting my precious time playing video games. Weed just lets me focus on the game and have some fun and relax.