[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 49 KB, 500x375, chrono.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
574841 No.574841 [Reply] [Original]

Curious as to why this game gets so much slack. It wasn't a perfect sequel by any means, but I certainly found it to be a fun and memorable game.

>> No.575387

>>574841
You're opening up a can of worms here OP, but in my experience a lot of people disliked the enormous, and often not well developed, cast.

Personally I dislike how they got rid of Toriyama and hired some completely different artist. It felt like it had no connection to Trigger just based on the contrast in art style alone.

>> No.575413

Even ignoring it as a Chrono Trigger sequel I couldn't stand it.

I didn't like the battle mechanics at all and found them them to be needlessly complex.
I didn't get the point of having 40 party members when maybe two of them were memorable or important, especially since the totally-customized movesets made the idea of having 40 playable characters pointless.
The story was a convoluted fucking mess and was hard to follow.
It was slow.

The only thing I enjoyed in Cross was the visuals and music, which were some of the best that generation had to offer. I still listen to the soundtrack all the time. It's just a shame the rest of the game was a chore and poorly handled.

>> No.575421

>>574841
Even though hardly anyone knew of it, it retconned Radical Dreamers into oblivion, and basically took a shit on the plot of CT.

It is a pretty good game, but it had a name to live up to. It didn't live up to it.

>> No.575452

The plot was difficult to follow until at least the 2nd playthrough when you knew why things were happening.

Combat was awkward as fuck over-complicated for no reason.

The huge cast was interesting, but there wasn't much reason to take one character over another.

I did enjoy the part with the concert when Wind, Stars, and Waves, played through.

>> No.575459

>>575413
>The story was a convoluted fucking mess and was hard to follow.

I still find it funny there's an entire FAQ on GameFAQs trying to explain how the Dead Sea could even exist in the context of the game's story because of how convoluted it is. I'm sure even Kato himself had no idea what was happening when he wrote the game.

>> No.575470

>>575421
yep, and besides not living up to the name, it was hyped to hell in most reviews (EGM gave it 10's and 9'5's IIRC)

>> No.575491

It had great music and graphics, but the story was awful and combat was so-so at best. Having to assign each magic to a character's slots individually was tedious and with so many characters you were constantly having to do this in order to try them all out. Sure you can auto-allocate, but that doesn't always assign it very intelligently.

>> No.575513 [DELETED] 

>I don't get the story so it sucks

Triggerniggers are such idiots.
Go back to your generic save the world.

>> No.575509

I tried so hard to love this game. I really did. The music, art, and atmosphere alone make it a memorable experience. Unfortunately, the main things that make RPGs good (characters, story, and battle system) just aren't there.

However, I am glad than after owning it since it came out and trying numerous times to play through it, I finally beat it less than a year ago.

>> No.575581

>>575513
No there were some huge ass pulls with the story. Like the whole reason Serge is even important at all is because he got envenomated and Schala magically "heard him crying from beyond time" and reached out to save him for no apparent reason. Not to mention the whole Project Kid thing that basically says the entire game was predetermined because Belthasar planned out every minute detail years in advance. It's really far fetched and stupid.

>> No.575605

On top of all the other complaints voiced here, it asks for a suspension of disbelief when you have a furry manage to kill the people who knew magic and killed a world ending horror, but he can't even manage to slow down a bumbling idiot from the boonies.

Oh and Chrono Trigger and Radical Dreamers really didn't have any real connection to one another before this game happened, in fact they just took radical dreamer's plot, threw shitloads of filler into it, and then passed it off as a sequel to chrono trigger to get people to want to buy it.

Oh and all the stuff leading up to it's release made it sound like you would time travel within two diffrent worlds, not DO YOU LIKE RACISM WORLD, OR SLIGHTLY NOT SO RACISM WORLD?

>> No.575623

>>574841
>slack

Do you mean flack? You're the one giving the game slack by saying you like it in spite of its flaws.

>> No.575628

It's fun for the beginning then it just falls apart after a few hours in.

A+ music, A+ characters (because Kid), A+ setting, C- gameplay, C- story

Still, 10x better than anything we see nowadays. If you avoid actually playing the game you may enjoy Chrono Cross for everything else about it, like the art, and the music.

>> No.575648
File: 57 KB, 421x700, art[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>transvestite rock stars

This shouldn't have been in the game at all. This shouldn't have been in ANY game at all. It completely clashes with the medieval / early-1800s style world of CT.

>> No.575673

I personally loved the game and didn't have any trouble following the story or with the combat mechanics. I can understand the points about a shallow plot and all, but to be fair most jRPG's suffer the same problem in my opinion.

>> No.575681

>>575648

>Japan

I expected it.

>> No.575682

>>575623
this

>> No.575693

>>574841
Cross and Trigger are my two favorite games of all time.

I can definitely see why somebody wouldn't appreciate it as a sequel though.

>> No.575690
File: 28 KB, 412x298, hyu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>575413
this

>> No.575709

>>575648
I don't even know what they were going for with half the cast. That guy, the voodoo doll, the entire family who says CHA after every word, the gay purple lisping dog. NONE of these fit in with what Trigger established. Who approved these characters?

>> No.575739

>>575513
It's not hard to get the story.
It's just poorly told as shit and filled with a lot of stupid bullshit, particularly everything with Schala and Project Kid.

If a game needs a giant exposition dump at the end to explain what''s happening, it's not a well told story.

>> No.575818

>>574841

There's people who like it. I'm not one of them.

>> No.575823

what happened was, instead of making crono trigger 2, they tried to make CT:we want the FFVII audience edition. too bad

>> No.575845

>>575823
I don't get the connection between Chrono Cross and FFVII. How did they try to pull their audience?

>> No.575867

>>575845
They're not.
Cross is probably closer to something like Xenogears if anything.

>> No.575880

>>575845

>cryptic bullshit
>animu tropes
>stupidly complicated battle/skill system
>dumb boring romance subplot

>> No.575890

I remember using a guide the entire time I played it.

It was ridiculous what you had to do to get the goodies.

>> No.575894

>>575880
>Stupidly complicated skill system
How the fuck was Materia complicated?
It was ridiculously straight forward and easy to abuse.

And Chrono Trigger also had the romance subplot and "anime tropes" shit. That's not exclusive to FFVII.

>> No.575914

>>575880
So they catered to FFVII fans by making a jRPG that's like nearly every jRPG? Solid ground there.

>> No.575932

Silent Protagonists don't work when you have that many fucking characters. Why was Serge even doing half the shit he was doing and why were so many random things interested in it?

CT got away with the SilentProtag because the cast was small and talked a lot

>> No.575952

>>575932
I still dont know why 90% of your party joined.
Why the fuck was the fishwoman mother on the adventure?

>> No.575956

It was the kind of game you mostly played for the atmosphere.

>> No.576190

>>575623
I suck at English.

Well, it's entirely possible that nostalgia clouds my judgement. I certainly didn't pay much attention to the plot when I was younger, but I never found the combat system too complicated.

I also played it before I played Chrono Trigger, which undoubtedly changes things a lot. I was never thinking about continuity. I just remembered thinking the game was visually pretty, the music was outstanding, and the characters fun. It always stood out in my mind when remembering games I played when I was younger, so when I went online I was pretty shocked at how much people disliked it.

I certainly don't disagree with the plot issues, and while I thought tons of characters were fun, I can see why people wouldn't like it.

>> No.576202

>>575956
Sitting quietly on a perfectly rendered beach while a Harlequinn and a FurryCat burned your childhood memories of ChronoTrigger to the ground

So....CC was someone from the future preparing a generation of gamers for 4chan?

>> No.577180

Personally, I think the game would have been much better if they hadn't cut the tech system from it. At least, I would have had something I could get behind then. I know there are some specific characters that have double techs, but they are so few and far between that I assumed that double techs didn't exist until I looked it up online, years later.

>> No.577218
File: 18 KB, 333x333, 1364920799529.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I loved this game. I think any hate it gets is genuinely undeserved.

>> No.577247

Radical Dreamers is better anyway.

>> No.577256

Hated the combat system, found the story to be an incomprehensible mess, and it took its goddamn time getting anywhere.

Just not my cup of tea. The guitar guy was cool.

>> No.577264

>>575956
This I guess. It has a good soundtrack and a potentially interesting story, but like most post-SNES-era JRPGs it suffers from being extremely slow-paced and dull, and the battle system is subpar even by that generation's standards.
It also probably suffers from being intended as a sequel to Chrono Trigger. Living up to to the expectations being the sequel to the best JRPG of all time would be difficult under the best of circumstances.

>> No.577293

>>575648
Did you not play chrono trigger? Flea the trans rock star

>> No.577312

I think most people played it after Trigger, and a majority of them probably thought "shit, this is a sequel to Trigger? This is too different, fuck this noise."

That's usually what I get from people who dislike it. Personally, I felt the same way when I first played it, having played Trigger before it.

As it's own game, it's fine.
As a sequel, it's shit.

>> No.577326

I played it personally before I ever played trigger, mostly because I didn't get an SNES until the very end of it's life cycle (and promptly remember getting an N64 not long after the launch). Like others have said, the music and atmosphere are awesome. Personally the combat system didn't bother me and I liked collecting as many characters as possible, even though I remember having select favorites and hardly touching the rest. As it's own game it's fun, and in a lot of ways I hardly see it as Trigger's sequel. Despite the cameos and light connections, they're worlds apart to me, and I like them both for what they both offer.

>> No.577332

>>577312
>As it's own game, it's fine.
But it isn't. It's an ambitious game that tries a lot of new things but it's also horribly flawed and sloppy.

>> No.577346

When I played it initially, I found it to be total ass, compared to CT it was just neutered, much less techs, terrible magic system, a gamut of useless party member, that massive exposition dump at the end.

On its own I also found it pretty bad, I didn't enjoy the combat system at all and I hated how characters that had a personality all but vanished when they joined you, in a similar manner when Serge became Lynx, all your party members vanish, then when you become Serge again they magically reappear.

I think it would have been cool if they had their own place to chill, like Suikoden did with the castle, instead they just vanish into the black hole that is Serge, people joined for the dumbest reasons to.

>Well I just took you to the main land on my boat, BLACK TOUGH MAMA WHO DONT NEED NO MAN HAS JOINED

>Amazing rock concert guys, now let's all join Serge

And then like 6 people join at once.

>> No.577352

I find it funny that some people say Radical Dreamers was better considering Radical Dreamers was even more obscure in it's connection to Chrono Trigger; all the stuff that people hate about Cross like the main characters of Trigger dying because they fucked up time originates in RD. Not to mention it had multiple wall-of-text endings that were 10 times as convoluted and far-fetched as anything that was in Chrono Cross. Radical Dreamers was a random collection of weird ideas involving time travel and multiple dimensions, all Chrono Cross did was borrow some of the more workable ideas from RD and tried to weave them into something coherent.

>> No.577373

like others have said , it's a game you really want to like and not just because it's a sequel to CT but because it has alot of cool stuff going on, unfortunately the good stuff just doesn't cover the flaws enough to add up to a good game. in that regard it's alot like FFVIII to me

>> No.577459

>>577352
All I remember from RD is a gay French carnivorous sunflower. That game was whack as shit.

>> No.577468

>>577352
You sir a godamn mind reader

>> No.577502

I had Chrono Cross as a kid and never got around to finishing it. Always wanted to go back and play it, no matter how complete ass it might have been.

>> No.577512

>>577502
>no matter how complete ass it might have been.

I don't even like CC, but it's far far far away from being "complete ass".

>> No.577551

>127 lbs
>Plumpish

>> No.577573

>>577551
>2000 A.D.
>being that much of a colossal fatass

>> No.577580
File: 84 KB, 640x480, dat Temporal Vortex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>577512
Was going to post pretty much the same thing.

I know that CC wasn't the sequel everyone wanted, but I'm a bit surprised that that's reason enough for people to go on about how it's "shit". That is more than just exaggeration.

It has it's flaws, but still. It's extremely visually appealing, has an amazing soundtrack, an expansive world and atmosphere, a large (albeit inconsequential) cast of neat characters, and a vast selection of spells w/ quality animations. All in all it's a quality game, and a great JRPG.

I suppose that's why the question and argument over why it's hated get's brought up so much, though.

>> No.577656

>>577512

I enjoyed what little I remember playing it, but to be honest I never got far enough in to really make a good judgment of the game.

So I'm not in any position to really argue for one view or the other. I'm hoping it's not complete ass.

But if it is.. ah well.

>> No.577671

>>577580
After all these years I still don't understand what the deal was with that abstract painting level.

>> No.577680

>>577580
I remember enjoying the Color magic system, as well as the large cast (I'm a huge Suikoden fan).

Funny enough, I actually hadn't played Chrono Trigger until AFTER I beat Chrono Cross (I had a very poor childhood for Video games), which may be why I didn't go in with expectations and found it pretty alright.

>> No.577697

>>575421
>it retconned Radical Dreamers into oblivion

But that's wrong. RD is just set in another time/dimension.

>> No.577701
File: 268 KB, 600x600, vortex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>577671
the devs were probably thinking let's put in something totally fucking rad as all get out

>> No.577709
File: 16 KB, 400x423, Do You Even Honk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>577680
>Funny enough, I actually hadn't played Chrono Trigger until AFTER I beat Chrono Cross (I had a very poor childhood for Video games), which may be why I didn't go in with expectations and found it pretty alright.

Same here. I have lukewarm feelings on Chrono Cross. As a lot of folks here have said, I too mostly enjoy it for the music and atmosphere but felt that the cast was needlessly large (I got 39 of them but only ever used three or four) and the story was very difficult to understand. At the time, I thought I just didn't get it because I hadn't played Chrono Trigger but when I finally did play that, Chrono Cross still made little sense. Regarding Chrono Trigger though, it blew my mind how much better it was than Chrono Cross and I can understand why fans of CT back in the day would have been pissed off with it.

>> No.577732

Chrono Cross was the apex of the JRPG's era of completely obtuse plots that made no sense whatsoever. It was hardly the first or last game to have this problem, but it was one of the worst offenders. You can follow along with the plot without too much difficulty for prettymuch the entire first disc, give or take a plot point here or there, but right around the time you get to Chronopolis the entire thing goes pear shaped, turning into a complete train wreck of what the fuck am I reading? The endgame smacks of being rushed out the door for sale, and there is very little explanation for what's happening, except for huge, singular info dumps by an old hermit in a tower and three ghosts on a beach who had to be added for the English release.
I defy anyone to tell me they understood what the fuck was going on the first time they played. If you say, "I understood it after reading a bunch of introspectives online" or "I understood it after my fifth time through the game", you fucking lose and I don't want to hear about it.

>> No.577738

>>577580
I wouldn't call it shit but I wouldn't call it great, either. Maybe not even good.

>> No.577751

>>577671
It's that way because contrast is one of the best methods to support a plot theme. Which simply was "facing reality" at that point.

It's like everyone who doesn't understand CC has never heard of storytelling devices that went beyond HIT X TO NOT DIE.

>> No.577830

Back in the day, I bought a bootleg copy of Chrono Trigger in Vietnam, then bought a modded Playstation a month later to play it on.

Liked:
Graphics
Music
Kid

Disliked:
Massive impersonal cast
Story
Combat
Bombastic combat music

>> No.577848

>>577830
God damn it! I meant a bootleg copy of Chrono Cross

>> No.577879
File: 329 KB, 479x359, 20100621050907!Dream_Devourer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I feel like Chrono Cross could have been a good game, even great, but it was bogged down by a lot of problems.

I wish they'd remake it, and in the process, make the following changes:
1) Fix the plot so that it's less obtuse. It's not that the plot is bad, it's that all the plot basically comes in massive text blocks and a lot of shit still gets unexplained. Just... spread that shit out a little more, maybe go into a little more detail about Lynx's motivation, the significance of the Reptite Death Tower, and why you're trying to save this girl trapped in a crystal on a giant space flea in the middle of Nowhere. That's all I'm asking, really.

2) Fewer characters. Don't get me wrong, I love characters. Love them! But it's really a travesty that 90% of their personalities are an accent generator. So maybe just... knock the party number from 33 to 13 or so, and give them some actual plot significance.

3) Please stop cramming references into the Chrono Trigger remakes. I don't want to hear the story of how everything I did in Chrono Trigger was pointless... when I'm still playing fucking Chrono Trigger. If it's confined to Cross, it's fine. The game works fine as a SEQUEL, or even a standalone, but please. Just... stop.

Especially when this hypothetical remake will never fucking happen and this game will never be rereleased, which means a lot of new players will never understand the references.

How fitting that it should be named the "Dream Devourer"."

>> No.577919

I hated how the only real character tying everything in to Trigger was Schala, and she barely even resembled herself from the original game.

If her name was never dropped I'd have no fucking clue they were supposed to be the same person. Especially since she's like 10 years younger and suddenly has a completely different appearance.

You could have easily changed her name and the game would suddenly have no problem being its own standalone title.

>> No.577937

>why isn't Cloud in FF8

>> No.577954

>>577937
>Cross is direct sequel to the events of Chrono Trigger in the exact same setting.
>FF8 is only related through gameplay mechanics, having an unrelated plot and a completely new setting.

You're a moron for comparing Final Fantasy to the Cross complaints.

>> No.577956

>>577830
>Liking Kid

She was Stereotypical Australian Dragon. When trouble happens to her, she faints and then wakes up and goes "HURR DURR GUESS DUES EX MACHINA SAVED ME AGAIN IT DOES THAT :D"

>> No.577960
File: 124 KB, 512x384, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>577956
I preferred Harle, myself.

>> No.577963

>>577954
>Cross is direct sequel to the events of Chrono Trigger in the exact same setting

But that's wrong

>> No.577967

>>577830
>Massive impersonal cast
This sentiment is as stupid as it's persistent.

The core cast of CC is as memorable as any. There are ADDITIONAL dozens of characters, some of which have backstories and some are just random nice characters. But the cast - the main characters - how are they impesonal?

People are stupid. 6 developed characters is an ok JRPG cast for them. 6 developed characters, 10 semi-developed, and 20+ random recruitable party members? WHAT AN IMPERSONAL CAST THERE ARE NO CHARACTERS IN THIS GAME 10/10 WILL HATE AGAIN.

In fact, there were things about CC that weren't right. It was occaisonally tedious, and, most importantly, it was what we got instead of the continuation of the beloved Chrono Trigger experience. People lash at it, because they don't like it, but most actual, voiced criticism makes no sense.

>> No.577971

>>577963
It's true, what are you talking about? Kid was Schala, Lucca raised her in her orphanage, the fire killed Lucca, Kid seperated further into Harle and other incomprehensible crap from the mind of the Chrono Trigger writer when he's not being on Horii's and Sakaguchi's tight leash.

For fuck's sake, some directors/writers need tight control. If there was some, Xenogears and Chrono Cross wouldn't ahve been so retarded.

>> No.577974

>>577963
The entire plot of the game is that the characters from Trigger fucked up when they defeated Lavos, and the entire thing is dealing with the consequences of Schala's disappearance and Belthesar's plan.

It takes place in the same fucking world shortly after the original game and many characters from the original are mentioned in passing, with Lucca in particular being pretty fucking important.

To compare it to Final Fantasy, which has every game in its own separate universe, is stupid as fuck.

>> No.577981

>>577967
I like how the main female lead, who the entire game centers around, and is the most important thing ever, is almost entirely optional in how long you can refuse to have her near you.

Also to get to the final dungeon you have to get a random recruitable character who has no other purpose than "Oh I guess we need to make the boat magic flying now"

>> No.578004

>>577981
Better than having a main male lead die and become utterly irrelevant in the last half of the game

>> No.578010

>>578004
But enough about Serge.

>> No.578018

>>578004
>Half of the game
>That entire sequence is maybe an hour and leads right into the final dungeon

>> No.578028
File: 38 KB, 577x417, chronocross_b3_screen024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>578004
Chrono was never relevant, you goof. He's an audience surrogate, with a generically heroic personality. That's why he doesn't talk.

Sad that Serge somehow fucks that up. He actually has less personality than Chrono. I think it's the total lack of animations on his part.

Like, Chrono would occasionally respond with a heroic pose or a fistpump or something, so you could kind of get the gist of what he was "saying", and it gave you a sort of a lead on your motivation.

Serge just kind of... wanders from place to place. What the hell is his personality? He didn't strike me as particularly heroic.
I got nothing.

>> No.578037
File: 920 KB, 396x1174, Leenaart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Leena, Kid, Miki, etc
If nothing else it had some nice girls.

>> No.578045
File: 291 KB, 500x500, janice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>578037
I really liked Janice.

Sad she fell into the same "no relevance or personality after joining" trap as most of the cast.

>> No.578046

>>578037
Too twiggy, all of them.

>> No.578048

>>577879
Goddamn, the fact they felt they needed to add a "Canon" ending to chrono trigger years later is probably what disgusted me the most about all of this.

And the fact that ending fucking sucks makes it so much worse, just a fucking way of trying to make people think "OH GILES IS MAGUS" or whatever because people bitched up and down because he got cut at the last minute to push the game out so they turned him into a character who had no story within the game world.

>> No.578049

>>578045
Hello only good Red Elemental in the game

>> No.578050

>>578037
I found it strange that the entire opening segment of the game focused on this character, then dropped her completely by making her one of the easiest to miss optional characters.

Like, as soon as you meet Kid she stops having a personality or any sort of importance.

>> No.578065

>>578048
>Add a canon ending
I don't even get why they did that since on your first playthrough you're almost definitely going to get the Black Omen ending, or at least the time machine one where they ride around on balloons.

It's pretty obvious that it's the official ending of the game. There's only one or two others that aren't just jokes, and it's impossible to realistically win against Lavos at those points.

>> No.578069
File: 21 KB, 318x362, model1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>578046
>Too twiggy

Cross has something for everyone

>> No.578080

>>578050
She was never important to the plot, even in the beginning. She never joins your party and you aren't even suppsoed to know she's recruitable.

Her joining the party is more of an easter egg than anything.

>> No.578084
File: 100 KB, 300x461, 300px-Janice_Carrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>578045
Too bad her model looks awful

>> No.578085

>>578069
Ironically, not overweight.

>> No.578087
File: 205 KB, 863x926, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>577879

> Chrono Cross invalidates all of your actions in Chrono Trigger, and kills off most of the old cast for shits and giggles
> fans of who hated the sequel tell themselves that Chrono Cross is more like a side story or standalone; the original is still just as good and it's easy to ignore
> Chrono Trigger is rereleased with a new ending, directly tying it into Chrono Cross
> The ending has a boss that you can never defeat, who plans to destroy all existence
> Characters despair and give up, invalidating all their actions up to that point
> This is the canon ending
> The boss's name is "The Dream Devourer"

How gloriously meta.

>> No.578105

>>578050
She gets two or three endings and a skill side quest. For a Chrono Cross character that is amazing.

>stops having a personality or any sort of importance.
This sounds really catty to be honest.

>> No.578127
File: 19 KB, 450x339, 1181683465838.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>578050
>Like, as soon as you meet Kid she stops having a personality or any sort of importance

Like Marle?

>> No.578137

>>575648
>Who is Flea

>> No.578142

>>578045
>>578084
I love her legs, too bad there's almost no fan art of her anywhere ;_;

>> No.578146

>>578127
Marle has a personality, though. It's not a particularly interesting personality, but she has it. She has dialog that differs from the other characters, even if they're all coming to the same conclusions.

The problem with characters in Chrono Cross is, once they stop being important, they actually lose their personality. Characters have the exact same dialog as any other character, the only difference being accents that are generated on the spot by an in-game program.

And it's a shame, because characters like Leene start out seeming like they might have a personality, and then suddenly... don't.

>> No.578179

>>578087
This is it. This is the shit they have pulled that broke everything. They want to retcon shit, fine, I'm retconning chrono cross in my mind, fuck it. This shit is more fucked than Metal Gear Solid prequels

>> No.578187

>>578080
I got her to join on accident, for shits and giggles I kept telling kid no. I got worried that she wasn't going to join again, I seriously thought "oh shit, you could actually tell this character no"

>> No.578201

>Chrono Cross fans defending the game by shitting on Trigger.
There's tons of legitimate complaints within this thread that have nothing to do with it being a sequel.
Stop being dumbasses.

>> No.578214

>>575605
>it asks for a suspension of disbelief when you have a furry manage to kill the people who knew magic and killed a world ending horror, but he can't even manage to slow down a bumbling idiot from the boonies.

Holy fuck THIS! The power levels between Trigger and Cross are worlds apart, where the most dangerous thing in Trigger is a beast that can kill the world in one attack and the main characters manage to beat it, cross is a baby version of that.

And you get into lynx supposedly killing these characters and it just goes WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING? And serge never feels like a character who has any sort of "Power" unlike the trigger characters or HELL, even half of the party you get in Cross, and yet lynx had a hell of a time putting up with him.

>> No.578216

>>578146
Leena still slaps shit with a holy frying pan so I disagree that she loses her personality. Incidentally she is supposed to be more somber than her Home version since her Serge died.

>> No.578227

>>578201
Only dumb people take sides like this was some kind of retarded video game war.

Both games are good, but both games have their faults too. Besides, if you really want to be that bitchy, there's more people saying that CC is shit because it's not CT than anything else.

>> No.578231

>>578214
>Lynx supposedly killing these characters

It's hilarious how CTards are apparently incapable of reading

Also

>faggot planet wrecker vs destroyer of all reality

>> No.578256

>>578231
But they're the same fucking character.
One just happens to have a teenage girl slapped onto its head.

>> No.578285

>>578256
He grew up from the baby version in CT

>> No.578316

>>578227
I think CC has more than enough problems to list without getting into "It's not Chrono Trigger"

I mean, I'm pretty pissed that it takes a giant shit on Chrono Trigger by actively dismissing the plot that happened in the first, but at the same time, I'm not actually mad that Chrono Cross tried to do something different.
It's like... Chrono Cross had a more immersive atmosphere, the battle system was an interesting departure from the regular setup, and the plot was relatively thought provoking.

The plot also made no sense, was crammed and rushed together, the battle system was flawed and cumbersome, and the joinable characters were mostly flat and one note.

I think it's a great, if flawed game, and I did enjoy it, but there's a lot of ways it could have been done better. I think anyone who blindly praises or dismisses Cross is missing the larger picture.

If anything, my biggest beef with it is the fact that the writer seems so adamant on Cross being the direct continuation of Trigger, which is inevitably going to lead to these "Not Trigger" conflicts.
You aren't allowed to just like Trigger on its own. Chrono Cross is how the story is supposed to go, and it's this deep and beautiful story, and whenever he's done an interview he always sounds like some college kid with a philosophy minor.

Some people just like Trigger better, damnit. There'd still be this VS crap either way, but this active "YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THIS, WATCH THE NEW ENDING" from the guy isn't helping.

>> No.578396

How do you guys pronounce "Queen Leene?" I always thought it was awkward pronouncing it like it rhymed with "lean mean fighting machine." Also, is it "Mar-lee" or "Marl" as in Marlboro?

>> No.578414
File: 458 KB, 700x700, 1345144387353.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>574841
>slack

You mean flak

>> No.578439

>>578285
I thought the Time Devourer was stupid as fuck and the dumbest thing to do to Lavos.

The big plot twist about Lavos in the first game was that he wasn't some magical evil demon monster bent on destroying the world. As the game slowly revealed, he was nothing more than a flea living out his natural life cycle, latching onto Earth and breeding just like an actual flea latches onto a dog or something. He was a mindless creature going on instinct.

Then the Time Devourer actually was a magical, pure evil demon monster bent on destroying all of time and reality.

>> No.578441
File: 397 KB, 1100x1194, chronocomic005.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I liked CC when it came out. Played through it twice. Tried to play it couple of years ago again and I just wasn't feeling it anymore.

With CT, I've played it through the SNES (2 different cartridges), PS1 load time, DS, and just recently a ROM. For me, CT is much more of a joy to replay than CC, even though I had a good experience with it.

>> No.578451

>>578439
>nothing more than a flea living out his natural life cycle

It's a fucking spaceship with a DBZ villain pilot

>> No.578461

>>578451
The outer shell is a part of his body.
All of his spawn had the same thing.

>> No.578492
File: 41 KB, 640x480, dbz183-12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>578461
>lavos' spawn are tiny men in tiny spaceships

>> No.578532

>>578451
It's still the monster the previous poster said it was

>> No.578550

>>578532
And that still doesn't change the point that Lavos was just going on instinct.
He wasn't planning on destroying Earth for evil. He was just going through his life cycle, landing on a planet when young, evolving using the DNA of shit living there, then coming out to lay eggs so they could eventually fly into space and do the same thing.

He was like a fucking bug who happened to be cosmic in scale. Not an evil destroyer of realities.

>> No.578931

>>578550
There's a fucking robot inside of him.

>> No.578969

>>574841
Simple really.
1. Radical Dreamers never made it to the states, so idiots think it's a direct Trigger sequel when it has more to do with RD.
2. People can't into how deep it is, some can't even figure out what's going on and feel the feels at the end.

>> No.579041

Nadia's Bell pretty much was the beginning of the end, besides the change of battle system and the shit load of characters that lacked any sort of development. This single moment in the game was a smack in CT face. I wont ruin it due to the amount of spoilers but really this shit wasnt cool.

>> No.579086

>>579041
If you would play the entire game you would know at the end Nadia's Bell only effects your home dimension which is the false one anyway.

It's the same deal as RD's retcon.

>> No.579116

>>578969
You're an idiot.
1. It's a sequel to Chrono Trigger because they reference over and over again events and characters from Trigger for the story, and are major to it. Radical dreamers was just a cool story someone made that didn't actually have a relation to Chrono universe, except some side document states "Oh we placed it in the chrono universe" when nothing in the game itself makes any notion at all of that fact. Then they took the plot of Radical Dreamers, and reworked it into a larger game that comes off as a worse story.

2. Quit being a prick, there's nothing deep about Cross. Everything about it is laid bare in exposition, there is no deep meaning to a goddamn thing about it.

>> No.579117

>>579086
>RD's retcon

There's no RD retcon

>> No.579132

>>579116
>2. Quit being a prick, there's nothing deep about Cross. Everything about it is laid bare in exposition, there is no deep meaning to a goddamn thing about it.
It was if you were a kid. It blew my mind to pieces when I first played it. Then again, it was one of my first RPGs and I was a kid so I'll agree with that statement.

>>579117
Exactly.

>> No.579176

>>579086
What i ment by this story wise the "ghost kids" blaming Serge pretty much making the Original case seem like a bunch of dicks. Also it makes you realize the futility of the adventure of CT

>> No.579185

>>579176
With that CC is a spiritual Successor in my mind, which shouldn't be compared to CT, but damnit it happens since the same themes and same shit keeps happening.

>> No.580332
File: 487 KB, 1099x1222, 1290273453115.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Would Chrono Cross been much better received if the game was developed as a Final Fantasy-style sequel instead of a "same-world" sequel?

I actually liked Chrono Cross for what it is, but I won't deny there were plot problems that could have been resolved by not connecting it directly to what was accomplished in Chrono Trigger.

The world of El Nido and the concept of interdimensional time(line) travel should have been enough. Serge finds out he dies in another world, journeys to find the cause alongside a hot blonde and a SMALL team of friends across two worlds and eventually stumbles into a "destroy the world" conspiracy plot. That should have been it, no mentions of interstellar space parasites or great Xanatos gambits by ancient sages or even "lizard-men were right we suck" story contrivances that were holdovers from a previous game.

Just a game that references Heckrans (like Chocobos) and a different type of time-travel, that was all we needed to consider it a Chrono game.

>> No.580339 [DELETED] 
File: 58 KB, 765x600, Nintendo_64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Someone from /v/ redirected me here

Hey, /vr/, real talk for a sec.

I'm about to buy an N64. I haven't had one in years since my parents made me sell mine when we moved to california.

Besides OoT, Majora's Mask, and Mario 64, what games should I definitely buy? It's been a while and back then I only had four games

Help me make a decision?

>> No.580581

>>578451
Yeah that was the stupidest thing ever. It should have just stayed a space parasite going about its life cycle. At least that was semi-original for an RPG villain.

>> No.580587

>>580332

The problem is that there ISN'T enough of a connection to Chrono Trigger. Not even so much as a similar visual style.

>> No.580597

>126 posts and not one mention of the Masamune

>half of Trigger revolves around repairing it because it is a holy sword that will save the world
>suddenly in Cross for no reason at all it's demonic and turns anyone who touches it evil and was hand crafted by Satan himself

That whole subplot was really idiotic.

>> No.580636

>>580581
But he did stay that way. They even mention it as he transforms into his final form.
The only reason his core is more humanoid than his outer shell is because he was stealing fuckloads of DNA from humanity and the rest of the planet. It was to demonstrate he was making himself more like us.

Hell, he was organically connected to the shell with intestine-y shit. It wasn't like he was sitting in a captains chair.

He's still a mindless piece of shit who doesn't even acknowledge everything around him.

>> No.580686

>>580587
Y'know, except for the parts at the end where they specifically begin namedropping old characters, have you fight a bastard in front of Leene's Bell, throw the Energon just before said fight, have the primary trio of the previous game show up in ghostbaby form and explicitly call Serge out for being the reason all their hard work was vaporized, the letter from Lucca to Kid, Belthazar, Prometheus guarding the Frozen Flame, the head writer saying in an interview, "Yep! That was Robo!", the whole plot dump at the end from the aforementioned ghost children who tell you, "Schala is trapped by Lavos!", the cameos by Ozzie, Slash, and Flea...

>>580597
... and the Masamune. Can't forget that.

Yep. Totally no connection.

>> No.580715

>>580686

Yeah, that's all cosmetic. Plus it's overly-complicated ass-covering to try and pretend it has any connection. The game still has nothing to do with Chrono Trigger.

Also

>ghostbaby form

Does anything else even need to be said?

>> No.580740

>>580686
Reminds me of that godawful "new ending" in the DS version of trigger that featured a recolored Lavos with the princess pasted on top.

>> No.580752

>>580740
It was a pretty cool looking sprite, though. I dig Lavos' edgy new red colorations.

>> No.580772

>>580740

Don't even fucking mention that shit.

>> No.580776

>>580715
... are you talking about the canonicity of Chrono Cross being a sequel, or the suitability? Because one of those I will agree with and the other will make me call you a moron.

It is a sequel to Chrono Trigger because the guy who made it, who worked on the original, has specifically said it's a sequel, and efforts have been made repeatedly to change Trigger so that it better melds into Cross when remaking it, including anime cutscenes and new dungeons.

That said, the things linking the two are hacked and cobbled to fit (poorly) together, and aside from these specific instances I just listed, there really is no similarity between the two in a gameplay, graphical, or even spiritual standpoint, and the two work much, much better as separate entities than a disjointed whole.

So I just wanted to make clear what you're saying.

>> No.580780

>>580686
NOOOO WAAAAAAAAH ARTIFICIAL REFERENCES WAAAAAH

-CTard in a nutshell

>> No.580782
File: 254 KB, 700x712, 1360872526152.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Chrono Trigger was made because the creator of Final Fantasy, Sakaguchi, specifically wanted to make a game 'in the world of Akira Toriyama'. So he went to Yuji Horii, the long time producer of Akira Toriyama works and asked if he would get Akira Toriyama to work with him on a game. He did one better, and both Yuji Yorii and Akira Toriyama came together to work with Sakaguchi on a game, which we now know as Chrono Trigger. IT was basically the dream team of JRPGs, the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest team coming together to make one game.

But there was a fourth major person who worked on the game. Named Masato Kato. He wrote the final script and did a lot of the concept work for the game. In effect, he is the 'planner' for the series and Chrono as a series is his baby.

When it came time to make a sequel to Chrono Trigger, the other three major players who came together to make Chrono Trigger, Sakaguchi, Yuji Horii and Akira Toriyama, did not return to work on the sequel. Instead, Masato Kato was given total control as writer, director and producer of the project. Along with much of the staff from FF8 and Xenogears. This is why the game has a completely different 'feel' from Chrono Trigger. But that doesn't make Chrono Cross bad and Chrono Cross itself still has plenty of ties in plot to Chrono Trigger.

Sadly, now even Masato Kato has left SquareEnix. Leaving the execs at SE toclaim they will not make a sequel to Chrono because he is not there to do it. Frankly, with pretty much everyone connected to the original Chrono team gone except Yuji Horii and Akira Toriyama, I can't blame them. At this point, you might as well play Dragon Quest 7 or 8. That's as close as you're gonna get to the feel of a Chrono game from SquareEnix.

And now you know the sad downward spiral of Chrono as a series.

>> No.580804

>>580782
With as bad as Cross was received (the bitching in this thread as evidence) I'm glad there won't be another sequel. Square is terrible with making sequels these days (see all of the FF13 trilogy).

The only thing that bothers me is they left it on a cliffhanger with the 1005 AD destruction of the kingdom. Even Cross alludes to that, so it's not like they can just wipe it under the mat and say it never happened. There should at least be a small online manga or something to explain that instead of just leaving it unfinished. I'm sure Toriyama could do that.

>> No.580824

>>580740
>>578048
Even worse, not long before this happened Square issued a C&D to Crimson Echoes which did it tons better, though the story was still a little bad in parts.

>> No.580831

>>580782
I'm glad Squeenix spared the Chrono series the fate it could've gotten if Chrono Break happened without any of the team at all.

Holy fuck just imagine, with their recent offerings just how awful that could get.

>> No.580841

>>580804

>With as bad as Cross was received (the bitching in this thread as evidence)

Cross wasn't badly recieved. It only became cool to hate it after the internet became mainstream. Much like FF8.

When Cross first came out, it was very well received. Famitsu gave it a perfect score (back in the days when Famitsu scores were hard to get) and many review magazines/sites rated it as one of the best games of the year. And most people who had a PSX rushed out to get it, buying it over games like FFIX.

>> No.580854
File: 110 KB, 448x600, leena.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>580831

I agree. Imagine if they had made a Chrono sequel with the team that did the Chrono DS port....

No, rather than make a Chrono 3, I think they should remake Chrono Cross. Since even Masato Kano admitted the game was only 3/4 done. Also, SquareEnix needs to get Masato Kano back.

>> No.580849
File: 7 KB, 206x305, 345yb2u.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>580831
Oh dear god. Knowing how they treat older series' outside of DQ, that would probably have been the end of Square's half of the business.

>> No.580861

>>580597
>for no reason at all it's demonic

Durrr durrr Masa and Mune were asleep and the sword was stolen and used to murder faggots left and right, becoming corrupted.

>> No.580872

>>580824
what is flames of eternity?

>> No.580882

>>580861
masa and mune were the sword, how could they fall asleep on the job?

>> No.580889

>>575709
Fuck that noise. What about the dead clown who's become undead because he loves his grammy

>> No.580886

>>580872
Production stopped due to IRL last I checked.

>> No.580904

>>575952
Or the alien

>> No.580908

>>580841
Well regardless, people these days would be less likely to buy another sequel after word of mouth about Cross got out. Magazine reviews don't mean anything if half the fanbase is talking smack against Cross.

>> No.580926

>>580861
And that happened because why? Exactly, no explanation.

>> No.580934

>>580776
>... are you talking about the canonicity of Phantom Menace being a prequel, or the suitability? Because one of those I will agree with and the other will make me call you a moron.
>It is a prequel to the original trilogy because the guy who made it, who worked on the original, has specifically said it's a prequel, and efforts have been made repeatedly to change the original trilogy so that it better melds into the prequels when remaking it, including animated spinoffs and new CGI.
>That said, the things linking the two are hacked and cobbled to fit (poorly) together, and aside from these specific instances I just listed, there really is no similarity between the two in a storytelling, visual, or even spiritual standpoint, and the two work much, much better as separate entities than a disjointed whole.
>So I just wanted to make clear what you're saying.

I'm not trying to take a jab at you, btw, it's just that what you said seemed to fit so well.

>> No.580946
File: 12 KB, 256x384, DragonQuestTranslation3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>575709

>I don't even know what they were going for with half the cast. That guy, the voodoo doll, the entire family who says CHA after every word, the gay purple lisping dog. NONE of these fit in with what Trigger established. Who approved these characters?

Half the stuff you just said was crappy accent editing from the localization.

And guess who came up with that accent crap? Richard Honeywood. The same guy who added accents to the Dragon Quest games a few years down the road.

>> No.580957

>>580946
Oh, that guy!

... I hate that guy.

>> No.580973

>>580926
That part of the whole thing, I actually think was yet another refrence to everyone's favorite swordsmiths: Masamune and Muramasa.

How did the Masamune get absorbed into your Swallow though, that's my question.

>> No.580983

I remember finding this game at a gamestop and having CT be my favorite game of all time. I couldn't buy it for about a year because I was a broke kid. When I finally got it, I enjoyed it. I think it's got a decent battle mechanic, and it's unique so I got to give it points in that department. Especially when the PS1 was super saturated with generic RPGs. At the core of the game, it starts getting batshit insane after the battle with Miguel and maybe around when you switch bodies with Lynx... I had a lot of trouble with it from that point. Disk 2 has a completely different pacing about it and feels rushed in my opinion. I love the game to death for the diversity of characters and LOVED the bizarre characters you could get like a moon man, a voodoo doll, a mermaid, a half-mermaid transvestite rockstar,a pirate, a dead clown, ect. I thought it provided something nice to see when trying to see every character's special attacks and have them join your party. The biggest glaring flaw in the game for me is when they FORCE Chrono Trigger into it. When you meet Ozzie and the gang, or when you find Lenne Square all frozen...oh and you see fucked up versions of Chrono, Lucca and Marle and have to fight the final boss by playing a song to it... I just didn't care for the ending. It felted rushed and really forced. I can see why people don't like the game,but I think it's a strong follow up to a legendary game

>> No.580978

>>580841
The fanbase has been shitting on Cross since it's fucking release.
It's always been a love-it-or-hate-it game.

>> No.580995
File: 1.37 MB, 400x197, reluctant-smile.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>580934
Fuck you, that made me smile.

>> No.581009

>>580882
They were IN the sword

>>580926
And that happened because they weren't awake to resist whatever EVIL POWER entered/accumulated the sword

>>580973
That's Doreen's doing. The jap name for the mastermune reflects that, being more or less "grand doreen" (grand dream).

>> No.581023

>>581009
>whatever EVIL POWER entered/accumulated the sword

That evil power had to come from somewhere. All you're doing is diverting the fact that we DON'T KNOW what happened because they game never bothered to fill in the gaps. I suspect maybe they were saving this for a third game that didn't and will never happen, but it just makes Cross look even more unfinished.

>> No.581030

>>581023
Didn't the game say something about Lynx and the sword though? Maybe he did it.

>> No.581025

>>580983

There's a reason everything felt rushed. Because the game really was rushed. Masato Kano was making Chrono Cross and Xenogears at the same time. And much of the staff was not only working on those two games at the same time, but also FF8 and Parasite Eve. By the end, Chrono Cross was only 3/4 complete. As admitted by Masato Kano himself.

Squaresoft was a mess at this time. This is what led to them having to merge with Enix. Which, contrary to popular belief, Enix bailed them out, not the other way around. And it was because of bad business practices like this. Though mostly because they spent 90% of their marketing and budget on one series, Final Fantasy.

...which they're still doing.

>> No.581065

>>580782
You forgot to mention Mitsuda. He was there for both games and his contribution was significant.

They can't make another chrono game without him either.

>> No.581068

>>581030
Aside from the fact Lynx didn't exist until a year after Guardia was destroyed and the sword stolen I guess maybe.

>> No.581083

>>581023
Who cares? In face of the sword's actual creation mess this is less than a minor detail.

>> No.581090
File: 200 KB, 850x1974, sample-8e5e268920789c0f8bf49653fe570009.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Damn it guys, now I feel like playing Chrono Cross....

Why won't Square remake the game....I want to see Nikki's Concert in glorious HD....perform a full color table summon in HD.....fight the dragons in HD.....see Meteor Shower and Black Hole in HD.....

...see Leena in HD.....

>> No.581098

>>581090
>implying it wouldn't be on the 3DS

>> No.581113

>>581090
It would be on 3DS first, then mobile "HD" HD meaning that it won't even take up the entire screen size of some tablets.

>> No.581126

>>581083
Melchior made a knife to stab the Mammon Machine.
Masa and Mune joined with it to power it up.
When they eventually shoved it through the machine it transformed into its true form.

What's complicated about that?

>> No.581129

>>581025
They've put a few eggs into new baskets recently with that Deus Ex game and that Tomb Raider title

>> No.581159

>>581129

Deus Ex was admirable but fundamentally flawed.

Didn't play new Tomb Raider but it has gritty reboot written all over it to which ugh. In short I wouldn't put a lot of faith in Squenix to do anything right. Ever. They're trying to shit up Dragon Quest as we speak.

>> No.581170

>>581090
>performing summons
>in Chrono Cross

Ah right. The "We want the Final Fantasy audience" gimmick.

>> No.581175

>>581126
>transformed into its true form

How? Why? Also how did the masamune become a sword in the "normal" timeline before Crono went to stab the mammon machine with it?

>> No.581183

>>581159
Tomb Raider really wasn't that gritty.
It's only problem is there's a stupidly long section where it's nothing but gun fights with almost no platforming and it gets tiring. It makes up for it with a huge, awesome platforming section afterwards, but holy shit it was getting tiresome after a while.

>> No.581213
File: 15 KB, 300x225, Rikku.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>574841

Chrono Trigger fanbois are not the brightest bunch of people, it was 2 deep 4 them

It was great and probably the best soundtrack of any game during it's time

>> No.581229
File: 52 KB, 320x216, summonsalamander1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>581170

Chrono Cross had summons dude.

>> No.581232

>>581213

>that filename

Oh great another fucking 2deep4u post.

You need to learn the difference between deep and convoluted nonsense.

>> No.581245

>>581129

Forthe most part, Edios and Enix are considered separate from Square and allowed to do their own thing.

Its the Square side of SquareEnix which is and always has been retarded. And only focuses on one property (Final Fantasy). They're doing it even worse than they did back in the PSX days. Now they're putting nearly all of their marketing and budget behind one entire title, FFXIII. And even ignoring other FF games. Not just FF as a series.

>> No.581256

>>581229
Yes. A gimmick to pander to those who want it to be more like Final Fantasy.

>> No.581280
File: 12 KB, 256x223, Chrono_Trigger_Frog_Squash.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>581256
>A gimmick to pander to those who want it to be more like Final Fantasy

Yeah fuck that shit, summons are just retarded spells disguised as some dumb huge creatures

>> No.581279

>>581256

If calling something a gimmick makes you feel better, then go for it.

>> No.581289

>>581280
That wasn't a summon at all. It was just a normal attack that happened to involve an animal.

>> No.581297

>>581289
That's what a summon is, generally.

>> No.581316

>>581289
That's exactly what a summon is in FF. CT is actually far superior in this regard as it required you to prepare the summoning by creating an environment suitable for the summoned creature instead of just casting it like a spell.

>> No.581320 [DELETED] 

CHRONO TRIGGER IS A MASTERPIECE AND CHRONO CROSS RUINED IT FOREVER
VIDEO GAMES ARE DEAD BECAUSE OF CHRONO CROSS

>> No.581321

>>581289

In most FF games, Shiva/Ifrit/Ramuh/etc generally do the same thing as a normal spell. Just with a long annoying animation.

At least in Chrono Cross, you had to do something special to make a summon happen. You had to get the entire field one color, then cast the summon spell. Which was easier said than done. Unlike in Final Fantasy where all you had to do in order to cast a summon was use MP.

>> No.581479
File: 157 KB, 1151x1200, 1365857085794.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>so much Chrono Told in this thread

>> No.582159

>>574841
It's one of my favorite games ever OP. I fucking hate fagets that postulate that it isnt related to chrono trigger. It's related more than most sequels. Also elder god tier sound track.

>> No.582208

>>574841
I own this game and loved the fuck out of chrono trigger but still have never managed to get all the way through it, although it looks nice and the devs had too much fun with kid

>> No.582228

>What If Every Party Member Was Useless: The Game.
I still fucking love the game, but you gotta admit there where A LOT of shitty/useless characters.

>> No.582354

I love chrono cross, more than trigger.

There's a point where music, presentation, and the general atmosphere of a game compensate for shortcomings in story, and this game is it.

I can forgive the rushed story for the overall experience.

>> No.582587

>>582228

You can look at it that way. Or you can look at it as 'choose whoever you want to use'. For example, I loved using Pip and Leena. And a lot of people just passed them over as 'useless cute characters not tied to the plot'.

>> No.582657

>>582587
Honestly, I have no idea if Pip was strong or not when I passed over it. Chrono Cross is casual as fuck and you'll win regardless of what party you use, unless you're a complete idiot.

I sure didn't pass over Leena, though, and she's one of the most plot-relevant characters in the whole game.

>> No.582683

>>582657

Leena isn't really plot relevant. As far as I remember, she's only there to make you aware that you have jumped dimensions. And after Kid joins your party, she basically becomes an afterthought. Unless you forcibly put her in your party like I did.

I still think it was a major mistake on their part to skip a possible confrination between Leena and Kid. Having you choose between using one of them on your team. Aka, choosing between which girl you 'like', the quiet and more down to earth Leena or the brash and outgoing Kid. Instead, you're basically forced to pick Kid and can 'choose' to put Leena in your party afterwards.

>> No.582687

>>582657
Pip user here.

He can become reasonably powerful, provided you grow him right. Dependent on what type of elements you have him use, he'll eventually become one of three forms, with focus towards regular attacks, elements, or a combination of the two, with his elemental colour becoming the element he's used the most. So if you really want another yellow element, you can have him use a lot of yellow elements, and he'll eventually become a yellow element.

The downside is that he resets to normal form after a new game plus, and it takes about 200 castings for him to 'evolve'. Which means it's not remotely worth it if you plan to get all the endings.

I should know, I got all the endings.

For the love of god, pity me.

>> No.582694

>>582587
The trouble was, despite the large cast, no one really stood out except for Sprigg and even then, it was due to the ability to mimic defeated enemies

Granted, as most characters were interchangeable, your party composition usually came down to "Hey, this guy is associated with the same color as that rabbit girl. Guess I'll be dropping him in favor of legs & tits."

>> No.582731

>>582687
Don't forget that his leveling up is a little glitched, so if you don't do it right, you can easily fuck up his element grid.

>> No.582756

>>582683
>[Leena]'s one of the most plot-relevant characters
>Leena isn't really plot relevant

Now now, look closely. These two statements don't contradict each other.

>> No.582813
File: 558 KB, 839x625, Pip.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>582687

Its worse than that. Pip's changes are based on the ENTIRE field. That includes all spells your party casts and spells cast ON him. So if you end up wanting to make a Satan Pip and run into the Dragoon Tower, you're gonna have a ton of Blue spells hitting Pip.

I honestly found no real alternative to using Pip aside from making him Angel Pip, because you have to use Surge anyway. And his affinity is White. Plus I used Leena and her affinity is blue so there's more 'light' colors I was gonna be casting all the time.

I don't even know how the hell someone would be able to make a rainbow Pip. What kind of fucking calculations would you have to do to get that done....

>> No.582891

>>582354
i agree with this. the story had a lot of potential but turned into a complete shitshow.

that said, the art style and music of CC is unparalleled. that's really what made the game great

>> No.583003

>>574841
Eh, I like it better than trigger myself.
I do realize I'm in the minority on that opinion though.

>> No.583007

>>575413
>Complex.
>numbers by the attacks, that let you know how much you get
>numbers by the elements that let you know how much you've built up

>simple fucking addition and subtraction

REALLY?

>> No.583050

Alright CC bros.

Final Party?

Serge, Kid, Orlha fan here

Serge gets all the blonde bitches

>> No.583154
File: 47 KB, 340x600, Harle1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, once I'm done with FF8 I'm thinking about replaying CT and CC. I've played both but never beaten either.

For Cross, is there any recommended characters to use to get more story out of them? I know a good portion of the characters have a pretty insignificant impact on the plot, but are some more fleshed out than others?

>> No.583192

>>583154
its been almost a decade since i played it, but the main characters are serge and kid. go with those two imo to get the most out of it

>> No.583372

>>583192
>Kid
Pointless to use her, when you have Fargo.

>> No.583403

>>582683
The choice is preempted because Schala is running the scene and Kid is her self insert.

She falls for Crono, and gets forgotten in favor of his blonde rambunctious girlfriend with a ponytail. Bitterly she drifts through the dimensions until she falls for a dying child who is also as forsaken as she is. The moe wizard thing didn't work the last time so she crafts up an avatar who looks and acts exactly like Marle but is also a pirate.

After all that work there is no way she is giving Serge a choice. Unless you go for Leena's new game+ ending where Kid fucks off and conquers the world.

>> No.583461

>>583154
Nobody is plot relevant enough to use over someone you like. Chrono Cross is Secret Characters: the Game.

Afterthought characters usually get at least one side quest for a skill and "plot relevant" characters peter out in development after they join the party. The Viper Manor crew get a little more consistent love than most but only in their sidequests.

>> No.583490

>>583154
I use to whack it to Harle all the time.
Which is why now I probably have a sexy clown fetish.
Even though regular clowns terrify me.

>> No.583537

>>583372

This. All of my this. Fargo.

>> No.583541

>>583003
I played Cross before Trigger, and as a kid, the graphics and music blew my mind. Years later, when I finally played Trigger, I was extremely underwhelmed, and as a result I would say I enjoyed Cross more as well.

>> No.583553

>>583537
But is Fargo a sexy pirate with an exotic accent?

you're damn right he is

>> No.583619

>>583541
Not even the graphics, i just enjoyed the game more than triggers in terms of gameplay.
which is weird because normally i love active time combat more

>> No.583754
File: 44 KB, 350x500, Starky1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My problem with Chrono Cross was that at no time during playing the game did I feel like I was playing it right. I felt like I was a spectator to all of the optional plots that really had nothing to do with the world at large. At some point I had to recruit a cartoonish alien to get me to the last dungeon. I felt like the combat system had a way to be played correctly, but I never was told how to do so. I felt like the magics could be setup in a right order, but it was beyond me. I felt like I had a lot of characters who needed to gain stat bonuses, but didn't know which. By the time I finished the game, I could only wonder if I got the right ending.

>> No.584605

>>582813
Influencing Pip is fuckeasy. You have two element groups, one for evil (RYK) and one for good (BGW). 100-150 casts for form 1 and 200-300 for form 2. Pip's casts count double. For butterfly you just go for the opposite element group after the first transformation.

Load up on "turn x" elements, got to a random battle and keep spamming whatever you want his innate element to be.

>> No.584625

>>583754
>implying anyone without a strategy guide even GETS an ending Chrono Cross

>YELLOW RED GREEN BLUE BLACK WHITE

>> No.588016

Meh. I found the plot completely and unnecessarily convoluted. Go ahead and take a look at a wiki that explains the plot and its relation to Trigger and you'll see what I mean.

>> No.588224

>>577671
dimensional interstice is apparently mcescher

berserk did this too

>> No.588254

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=cross

This review does a thorough job deconstructing Chrono Cross in terms of what works and what doesn't.

Unfortunately, most things in CC don't work.

>> No.588330

I wasn't planning to post on this thread, but you made me genuinely curious.
What is wrong with the combat system?
I played CC several times and never had an issue with the combat, yet i see 90% of you complaining about it.
Please enlighten me...

>> No.589003

Is Miguel Crono?

>> No.589007

>>589003
Miguel is Miguel.
Crono appears as himself.

>> No.589628

>>589003
Miguel is a friend of Serge's father who traveled with him into the storm to find a cure for demonic panther poison, and, rather than getting turned into a furry by FATE, got trapped in a discontinued timeline, where he apparently passed the next fifteen years learning how to rape people with white elements.

>> No.589901

Just popping in here to say that my girlfriend loves Chrono Cross, and didn't care for Trigger. Go figure.

Personally, I like both, but my favorite thing about Square is that they're willing to burn down the house with pretty much every new game they make. I'll take flawed ambition over perfect repetition any day of the week.

>> No.589959

>>584625

Not only did I figure that out, but I cast it the hard way: without using Lavos. I sat down with a pen and paper and did the math till I figured out how to get everything in. This was before I even played it myself. My girlfriend was ready to put a hole in the wall, so I sat down and had her explain the problem and the system before digging in.

>> No.589994

>>583050
serge, glenn and someone else, but i can't remember, maybe the little girl.

>> No.590730

>>584625
It's been so long that I forgot that. I almost certainly would have used gamefaqs, just to get it over with.

>> No.590742

>>588330
Personally, my problem with the combat system was the general lack of double and triple techs. I know that they weren't too fantastic in CT, but at least they added some flair to combat.

Expanding on that thought, I assumed that double and triple techs were going to be HUGE in CC, with the general lack of anyone with magical ability. I assumed the bumps were going to be ironed out, and that they would remain viable all the way through the end game.

That alone could have been a big tip off to Guile's (now non-existent) identity, as he continued to exhibit Magus' "doesn't play well with others" trait of no standard double or triple techs, but possessed a long list of single techs.

>> No.590750

>>583050
Serge, Fargo, Janice.

Shit needs to get stolen and the bunny's ass was fat.

>> No.590761

>>590730
You really had to. To GET the Chrono Cross itself is an obtuse bit of exploration, and the only time you might even THINK about the color sequence is long after the game has stopped telling it to you... which it never actually TELLS you it's telling you, instead just doing THE PATTERN and that's it. Which at no point you'd think "Huh, maybe I should write that down".

>> No.590762

>>590730
Doesn't the game tell you the proper order a few times? I remember figuring it out right away as a kid. The only reason I didn't get the ending with the Chrono Cross first is because I didn't realize how the Time Devourer helps you finish the pattern, and I just beat him to death out of frustration. I was on dial-up right until my last couple of years in high school, so I wasn't inclined to look things up on Gamefaqs.

>> No.590773

>>590761
I guess CT prepared me to upend the entire endgame for perks then, because I know I found the Chrono Cross on my first play through, and I got the order without looking it up online, somehow.

>> No.592069

>>589901

You know, that's a really good observation about them. They really don't ever re-hash what's proven to work, at least in terms of gameplay. At least they used to. I don't what's going on now with the XIII trilogy mess.

>> No.592330

>>588330
Well, I think it varies from person to person, but personally, I hated the way you had to "charge" elements with regular attacks. Combined with that was the way using an element would instantly tank your turn gauge, so using an element of any kind meant giving up several possible turns.

This was especially annoying for "puzzle" sequences, like the final boss, or for charging up summons, which required you (or the enemy) to perform a particular series of elements in order to set things up properly. And if even one element is wrong, you fuck up, all your effort is wasted.

This meant that I NEVER used summons, because they were just too much a pain in the ass to use. It was possible to "quick cast" the non-white/black summons by having one character use a Field element and another to cast the summon right after, but that's still using two separate characters and tanking their action gauge. If you don't kill the enemy with that move, you'll more than likely pay for it.

Combine that with the enemies not being limited to this setup at all. They could cast elements all day long, without any regular attacks, and with no impact to their turn order.

In any battle that wasn't a "puzzle", my strategy became thus:
Weak attack. Mid attack. Strong attack. Hold action. Heal when necessary.

Except when Serge got the Mastermune. Then it became:
Strong attack. Strong attack. Hold action. Heal when necessary.

That the battle system practically denies experimenting is discouraging.

>> No.593354
File: 7 KB, 128x128, CC_Kid_portrait (Demo).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>592330
>In any battle that wasn't a "puzzle", my strategy became thus:
Weak attack. Mid attack. Strong attack. Hold action. Heal when necessary.
>Hold action.

Oi. What are ya, chicken? Ya got all those fancy elements on yer grid and won't even use 'em? As long as yer keep strikin' the bloomin' enemy, the party's turn gauge will keep goin' up. By the bloomin' time it cycles back to yer yer'll 'ave a full gauge ready ter unleash on the enemy. So use that MeteorShower already, mate! Doncha know that the best defense is a good offense!?

>> No.593482

>>593354
But I don't need to. All the enemies die just fine to regular attacks.

Also you were the clingiest god damn character. How many times did I have to tell you, "No, I don't want you to join", again?

>> No.594442
File: 7 KB, 128x128, CC_Kid_portrait.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>593482
>Also you were the clingiest god damn character. How many times did I have to tell you, "No, I don't want you to join", again?

Why wouldn't yer want a sweet, cute girl like me 'round, ya bloke?

W-wait a minute, you! Are you one of them men 'oo likes... other fellas!? Oi, yer one of them "homo" whatiswhoosits? Honest guv? Like 'em long in the kegs, do ya? Ha ha!

It's awright, mate!. I won't cop in yor way, rightly! I'm just tryin' ter help meself by 'elpin' ya, after all. So 'oo is it? Don't tell me it were that rugged lad yer 'ad a run in back at the cape? Get off it, I don't see it meself but whatever floats yor boat I always say...

>> No.594960

>>574841
I'm with you, OP. I liked it well enough, too.

>dem graphics
>dat soundtrack
>dat setting

The actual gameplay was weird, though. And the story was really fucktarded. I honesty though it was a 7 or 8/10 game.