[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 27 KB, 512x448, gfs_45462_1_1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
573147 No.573147 [Reply] [Original]

What games that you wish you could get into and enjoy but they ended up frustrating or boring you?

Bloodlines for me. I've finished almost every other main Castlevania but I can't get into this one at all. I dislike the modern atmosphere, the characters, pretty much all of it. I still want to beat it but the limited continues just kills what little motivation I have. I think I made it as far as France before and got bored and quit.

>> No.573163

Modern atmosphere? The only level that looks remotely modern is Germany, everything else is ancient ruins or old buildings.

Also, it has passwords, bro. Though the passwords take into account how many lives you had, so you still have to play well.

I can understand those who dislike the color palette, and the graphics are nothing special for a 1994 release, but I'm gonna say its my favorite Castlevania.

>> No.573176

It is set in a more industrial age, as the other guy said the most modern part is the munitions part.

Also I game overed many times until I beat it. It has the right amount of difficulty to be honest. Possibly my favorite Castlevania game since every single segment in the level is memorable.

>> No.573192

>>573147
>I still want to beat it but the limited continues just kills what little motivation I have

it's not hard (even on expert), just use the password system.

and I get what you're saying about not being able to get into it, I'm a huge fan of classic CV but Bloodlines is one of my least favorite titles in the series.

>> No.573189

Chrono Trigger. I got to the part where Chrono died before I gave up on it.

>> No.573205

Final fucking Fantasy V.
I remember loving the game as a kid although I never finished it. Months ago, I downloaded the GBA ROM (with the sound patch) and... wow, what the fuck? The story is really really really generic and boring (english is not my primary language so as a kid it didn't really matter) and the gameplay is just like any other FF plus jobs (which was the only thing that kept me playing the game). I dropped it on a boss battle after some kind of forest burnt. How far did I get into the game?

>> No.573215

OP here. I would use the passwords, trying to get through each level with no deaths, and if I died I'd reset and try again. I think that made it too tedious and made me dislike it even more. Someone awhile back posted there was a secret way to get infinite continues so I might try that.

By modern I just meant it didn't feel like a traditional Castlevania. Germany was obviously out of place, but just going to Greece and France felt like a different game to me.

>> No.573218

Most JRPGs. A lot of the time I'm like YA THAT'S GREAT STORYLINE BUT COULD YOU HURRY THE FUCK UP?
Even my old favorite (FF7) is hard to pick up and play. for that reason.

>> No.573246

Not technically /vr/ because it's GBA, but it's Kirby so fuck it. I hated Amazing Mirror. The map was useless and I kept going in circles. I also hated the new physics. I liked the GB and SNES Kirby's but once he went to GBA he was all slippery and bouncy. It was just frustrating to get through so I dropped it.

>> No.573248

>Games you wish you liked
This pretty much describes my feelings towards Final Fantasy Tactics Advance after playing FFT first.

I love the new setting and how it took a breather from the seriousness, but there's just so much wrong with it between important things you don't even know you can miss by placing a single piece of the map in a wrong place, the degree of difficulty being completely shit compared to FFT, and never actually having a great Ninja, Sage, or Assassin unless you get a white mage, thief, or fencer really fucking early or get lucky enough for an actual one to join because of the stat system.

>> No.573254

>>573246
That game was garbage. Canvas Curse was better, hell AIR RIDE was better.

sage for not /vr/

>> No.573257

>>573215
yeah i kinda get OCD about taking down passwords only when I play without dying too, but in Bloodlines you can afford to lose a couple lives each level, considering you have 18 lives total, and that's without collection any extra.

>> No.573260

A few actually

>Final Fantasy 9
Everyone I know loves it, I couldn't make it past disc 1. I really think it's shit.

>The Fallout Series
More of a too late to the party kind of deal. I wanna get into it but never get around to it.

>Any new MMORPG
So many WoWclones, so little fucks to give

>> No.573287

>>573189

You can get him back. Did you lose focus from it splitting into side quests at that point? You don't have all that much further to go.

>> No.573286

Donkey Kong Country 3. The level design felt really...off.
I also really hate Kiddy Kong.

>> No.573285

>>573260
Well WoW was a clone in itself, as well as bad. I quit MMORPGs when RS became "Old RS and I have no regrets.

>> No.573292

I want to like FF1 and FF2 on PS1 but it's so tedious.

>> No.573294

>>573285
WoW was typical of blizzard at the time. Steal from the current "best" and polish it to the lowest common denominator. It worked damned well, but now its the most copied game in the last 10 years in its genre

>> No.573312

>>573286
This.

DKC also games had a weird FOV. It was side scrolling, but you couldn't see shit. Add delayed controls and shit gets ugly quick.

>> No.573324

>>573312
This was pretty bad in the underwater sections.

>> No.573320

>>573292
The GBA/PSP versions are more streamlined so they require less grinding. You might try those.

>> No.573351

SoTN. I felt it tried too hard to look flashy. The music put me to sleep and the castle layout wasn't very interesting.

>> No.573381
File: 382 KB, 400x400, snoop.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>573312
games also had*

>> No.573374

I dislike River City Ransom. Even though I beat it twice I still can't say I enjoyed it. The fact there's no indication what stat boosts the different foods or items will give you is what kills it for me. I always feel like I'm wasting my money on stuff that has no benefit, then I have to go grind more money. It's not a very hard game anyway, but still, a simple +3 atk or whatever would have helped. I always just bought conger eels and hoped for the best.

>> No.573395

Donkey Kong 64
I liked the idea of a 3D DK game, but holy shit. They should have toned it down a bit. Too much fucking garbage to collect and the levels are fucking massive yet empty.

>> No.573398

FF9

The music is good, but I don't like the graphic style, don't really care for the characters (Vivi is more of a bitch than Cloud could hope to be), and certainly don't care for the slow as molasseses gameplay. I've tried to beat it multiple times, and I never get people to claim its a throwback to the classic games. FF7 is more like the classics than 9 is. Fast combat, and the story is basically the same as 6's anyway.

>> No.573409
File: 29 KB, 133x123, r u srs m8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>573374
I thought it was awesome until I beat it.
>Alright next level, wonder what i--
>Credits
mfw

>> No.573415

Definitely Earthbound. I really love the atmosphere, but I just can't get into the gameplay at all, I find it so tedious.

>> No.573418

>>573395
One thing that would have improved it by a ton was to not make you go through the same level five times.

>> No.573420

OoT. The combat felt slow and sluggish, and the story was a rehash of LttP. I really didn't like a single thing from it but felt compelled to beat it because "it's a classic" and I'd already paid for it. Granted it was an early 3D game so it's rough around the edges, but I can only cut it so much slack. Then again I only played it for the first time two years ago.

>> No.573437

>>573287

I just didn't give a shit. The game felt dated and boring.

>> No.573446

>>573415
The game is so fucking boring until you get Jeff, and even then it barely picks up.

>> No.573438

>>573420
>Zelda
>Story

>>573415
I agree. I beat it but I had to force myself to do so.

>> No.573462

>>573437
>dated
Ah, so you didn't play it back in the '90s. Still, I think it holds up pretty well. I've introduced it to several friends in recent years, and they've all enjoyed it. It's not for everyone, though.

>> No.573460

The appeal of Earthbound is its cutesy look and non-medieval setting. Once you take all that away it's just a standard Dragon Quest clone battle-wise.

>> No.573469

I don't remember whether or not the Dreamcast is /vr/ or not, but fucking Skies of Arcadia. I bought it back in the day, got about ten hours in, and just dropped it. Then I picked up on the GC, because I heard the encounter rate had been lowered, only played a couple of hours. Just can't get into it, despite my love of airships and pirates.

>> No.573473

>>573420
I find this true with OoT but not MM for some reason. I think the mask system sorta made spiced things up a bit. Actually, come to think of it, I like Seasons better than any other 2D Zelda because of the season system. It's a great way of making backtracking enjoyable instead of tedious.

>> No.573478

>>573473
I am a typos tonight

>> No.573493

>>573469
Gamecube version lowered the encounter rate? Holy shit I'd hate to have seen what it was originally. I quit after the fire pyramid because every 5 seconds it was a new battle with enemies doing instant death attacks. It was one of the reasons I got a Wii too (never had a Gamecube).

>> No.573543
File: 20 KB, 512x448, super-metroid.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i just cant... i get to a part of the game where im just stuck and thats it... cant progres... as much i wished i could say i like the game... i just cant...

>> No.573548

>>573147
They def tried something different, rather than just the journey through the Castle. Not my favorite CV game, but there are a few bumping tracks that shouldn't be missed, like Iron Blue

>> No.573553

>>573543
Shoot a super missile at the wall.

>> No.573570
File: 24 KB, 360x314, 659233-crocomire_super.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>573553
im stuck at the part right before this part... i cant get into the boss and "cheating" your way to get the ice beam, with that wall jump thing, just forget it, wall jump is fucking retarded in this game, probably the biggest problem i have with it

>> No.573580

>>573570
Yeah, the controls aren't as perfect as people say they are. A remake of this game in the zero mission/fusion engine is my dream game

>> No.573583

>>573570
So, you're not very good at the game, then? No big, just come to terms with it.

>> No.573597

>>573583
>>>/v/

>> No.573593

>>573583
>being this passive aggressive
Not everyone can enjoy your favorite things.

>> No.573608

>>573583
>implying he ever said he was a pro

>> No.573603

>>573583
you are supposed to have the grappling hook before you get the ice beam right? i just dont get how to get into the boss fight, i just want to know what i did wrong, like ACTUALY doing wrong and of course im not very good at the game, i played it for only a couple of hours and its my first metroid game

>> No.573602

>>573583
The wall jumping is terrible.

>> No.573659

>>573543
this.
i could never got into super metroid i just felt lonely and bored

>> No.573687

>>573659
my main problem is that i like metroid games, everything about them, but super metroid... i just cant...

>> No.573724

>>573687
I feel you man. I just feel like there's never any threat of death in Super Metroid, and that there's very little reason for me to continue forward other than gaining a slightly different looking beam to shoot at the weak enemies. I've liked most other Metroid games including Fusion which many people seem to be against, but Super Metroid has just never appealed to me. Not when it was released, and not now.

>> No.573718

>>573147
Pretty much every game on sega genesis.
Except for Shining Force, Rocket Knight Adventure and Turtles Ninja Hyperstone Heist

>> No.573732

I've beaten 9 Metroid games and have only liked Zero Mission and to a lesser degree Prime 3. I really don't know what people see in them, and furthermore I don't know why I keep playing them when I don't even like the series.

>> No.573775

>>573724
Maybe try a difficulty rom hack.

>> No.573821

>>573147
Link to the Past. I really like Zelda 2, LA, Oracle games, OoT and MM. But every time I try to play LttP I just get bored. I don't even know why. I've tried to play it like 3 or 4 times because everybody always talks about how great it is, but it just dosn't seem to be able to hold my attention.

>>573415
This too. The gameplay is just so...generic and boring. I know you're supposed to play it for the story and setting but I just can't get over the bad gameplay.

>> No.573946

>>573415
Basic character customization, basic character growth, a basic battle system, and a fairly linear game. There isn't much to really hook a player when it comes to the game itself.

>> No.573970

Earthbound
it's just not my kind of game
everyone says it's fantastic though

>> No.574192

>>573205
Yeah, FFV's story is generic but the GBA translation adds a fuckload of charm to it. Things are a lot more lighthearted and humorous for the most part. The game is almost self aware of it's generic-ness.

>> No.574206

>>573409
What are you talking about? You beat Slick, the guy who's built up as the final boss from the beginning, and suddenly you think the game's still hasn't ended?

You must be talking abou the GBA remake. The GBA version is fun as fuck but they added a bullshit hook to a sequel that'll never happen.

>> No.574218

>>573415
Only Dragon Quest fans truly appreciate Earthbound.

>> No.574243

>>574218
I play DQ all the time but never could get into EB

>> No.574289

>>573946
You know, I agree. I love Mother 3 but I can't get into Earthbound very well, and it was the one I played first.

>> No.574326

Rondo of Blood.

I didn't hate it or anything and it's a fine game but I've never been able to figure out why it is THE Classicvania to so many.

It did give me a serious early-mid 90s fantasy anime craving though. Had a Bastard! torrent going after the first level.

>> No.574364

>>574326
Solid Classicvania mechanics, and level design with good music, and beautiful visuals alongside branching level paths+unlockable character adding extra replayability.

Not that I'd blame anyone for not having it as their favorite, but it makes sense why so many do.

>> No.574397

>>574326
>>574364

I think it's also the first Castlevania to have the Item Crash feature.

>> No.574421

You're crazy. Bloodlines is the best Castlevania.

>> No.574486
File: 104 KB, 706x840, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>573718
>he doesn't love High Seas Havoc, Batman, Sparkster, either Shinobi, Lightening Force, Castle of Illusion, Toejam and Earl, Streets of Rage, or any of the good Sonic games

Come on son, you're exaggerating.

>> No.574552

OoT/MM. I'm not the biggest fan of 3d Zeldas in general, but I've at least beaten every other one.
But these two, I've tried beating both multiple times, but I always burn out midway through.

>> No.574590
File: 917 KB, 1523x825, Wish this was more charming to me.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just really dislike Earthbound.
I mean, I want to like it so I can be wowed by the mindfuck ending fans go on and on about but I just can't get over the kitsch graphics, the dull combat or the bland SNES instrumentation of the soundtrack. Note that with the last point I'm not saying that I hate the SNES soundchip, I'm just saying that many games on it with otherwise excellent composition go uncriticized for failing to harness its power when it comes to the arrangement.

>> No.574591
File: 79 KB, 800x370, Red_Mage_and_Warrior_Nintendo_Power[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Final Fantasy games.
I've only completed the very first one, both on NES and GBA. The farthest i got with another one was with V; Got to the second world, where Galuf rescues the party Until i started playing Lufia II

I just end up forgetting about them and straying to other games. I like to play RPGs from time to time, but i just can't get into these.

I played Tactics just because i played TO: LUCT before. It was good, but no insta deaths except on cutscenes were a letdown.

>> No.574613

>>573205
I played it for the first time last year. I enjoyed it but having to play through the whole story again would be awful

>> No.574624

>>573286
DKC3 was the only game in the series I didn't play when I was a a kid.
I know what you mean, but the characters are what killed it for me

>> No.574674

>>573603
No. You can get Ice Beam as soon as you get to Norfair, though the intended time to do it is after you get the Speed Booster. The game does not force you to wall jump except for where it teaches you to do so (and even then, you could just infinite bomb jump your way out), unless you're trying to sequence break. So don't worry about the wall jump.

>> No.574698

Like several others, I couldn't get into FFIX. Not even with a gameshark. It was just dull to me. I got to the 2nd disc, maybe? Hell, I had to force myself to finish VIII. The ending for that one made me wish I hadn't.

>> No.574757

>>573286

>Donkey Kong Country
>You only play as DK in the first game

No idea why they added the giant retard baby, I don't think anyone liked him.

>> No.574764

FF7
I played it when it first came out got to the part where Aeris dies and stopped. I keep trying to play it again but it can't hold my attention, not to mention the models outside of battle are terrible and the story is 2deep4me animu.

>>573398
>Vivi is more of a bitch than Cloud could hope to be
True but at least he isn't try hard edgy..

>> No.574778

>>574590
Woah man the soundtrack was my very favorite thing in Earthbound. They did an amazing job of capturing the feel of the environments through the music. I much prefer it to the generic symphonies every other JRPG has.

Though really my opinion isn't worth much at all since I stopped playing it as soon as I left Onett, but the great soundtrack is one of the things that stood out to me as great. I mean the arcade music blew me off of my feet.

>> No.574793

Every Zelda game ever.

I don't know what it is. I love Super Metroid and Megaman Legends, so it's not that I don't like the whole questing or dungeon thing. I especially like being alone, exploring treacherous areas. But the Zelda games always seemed tedious to me.

>> No.574837

>>574778
Only tracks I liked from Earthbound were some of the battle themes. Everything else was fairly forgettable to me.

>> No.574885

>>574793
Have you tried every Zelda game, or is that just hyperbole for trying most of them? If you haven't, then maybe try Zelda 2. Its gameplay is very different than the standard 2D or 3D ones.

>> No.574924

>>574590
>bland SNES instrumentation of the soundtrack
Bro, it sounds to me like you've played all of 10 minutes of the game.

It unequivocally has one of the most diverse soundtracks on the SNES. I don't even like the game myself, but the soundtrack is really good.

>> No.574931

>>574885
Yea, mostly hyperbole. But I have tried Zelda, Zelda II, Link's Awakening, and OoT. Of those I played Link's Awakening the longest.

I've thought about giving Minish Cap, Seasons/Ages, Windwaker and Majora's Mask a try, but I never really felt motivated to get around to them.

>> No.574973

>>574931
I only really cared for link to the past, though seasons/ages looks good. Oh and always have respect for the origina loz, but I haven't beaten it.

I own oot and mm and can't get into them, tried several times.

>> No.575056

>>573398
>I never get people to claim its a throwback to the classic games

It's classic in the sense that it uses the same type of atmosphere as FF 1-5. FF6 was semi-steampunk, and FF 7 and 8 were full on modern with cars, space ships, etc. FF 9 went back with the themes of wooden airships, magic crystals, wardrobe designs (like Freya resembling a red mage sort of), plus it just had a lot of references to the old FF.

>> No.575065

>>574931
>playing every Zelda game except the best one

Try Link to the Past and if that doesn't do it then nothing will.

>> No.575082

>>575056
Not to mention Vivi's design (and Garnet in her white mage costume), the four fiends, Garland, Gilgamesh, the crystal (it's in the logo for crying out loud), four-member party, the world named Gaia, etc.