Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Support us on Patreon!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 157 KB, 640x379, 0L7Hz0slTgkIhXEtg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5731296 No.5731296 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

>3d collecting platforming
Anyone else never could get into these zoomer games?

>> No.5731320

>>5731296
It's an age thing. I was like 16 when mario 64 came out, and was too busy snapping necks in MGS and shooting zombies in RE to pay mario any heed.
To some, my taste is worse. So make of it what you will.

>> No.5731389

>>5731296
>love banjo kazooie/tooie
>absolutely despise DK64

>> No.5731396

>>5731296
Except 3d collecting platformers were released during the late 90s/early 2000s and are boomer games too frustrating for babies. Nice try zoomer.

>> No.5731398

>>5731396
The one good thing to come out of Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is that troll paragraph talking about how one certain jiggie in Rusty Bucket Bay was too hard for most modern gamers. Wish I could find that screenshot of it again.

>> No.5731404

I liked Mario 64 but that was it. By the time I was in high school it was all JRPGs all the time.

>> No.5731429

>>5731320
Mario 64 came out years before metal gear solid

>> No.5731436

These games were the beginning of the end for video games

>> No.5731439

>>5731436
Nah. Whatever the first game was to introduce DLC was the beginning of the end.

>> No.5731441

>>5731296

Nice Tarkovsky you got there, OP.

>> No.5731705
File: 4 KB, 300x300, Satellaview_system.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5731705

>>5731439
So the beginning of the end started in the SNES era?

>> No.5731805

>>5731429
All the same, the first time I was aware of Mario 64 was aroumd the same time I was enthralled with MGS. So I was off by what? 2 years? Oh fucking no...

>> No.5731810

>>5731296
Gayest of gay genres.

>> No.5731813

>>5731296
The genre lived on as open world games.

>> No.5731841

>>5731296
I enjoyed games like stuart little and toy story 2 on the PSX but I couldn't care less about collecting, I just had fun exploring the levels. I always collected the bare minimum in order to unlock the next area

>> No.5731851

>>5731296
Old 3d collectathlon were essentially open world games done right: not needlessly huge empty wastelands filled with randomly copy-pasted assets, but fun sandboxes based on ACTUAL level design.
It's a shame it's basically a dead genre now.

>> No.5731867

Loved them as a 12-year-old.

Can't stand playing them now as a 29-year-old.

>> No.5732058

>>5731296
I still enjoy Fur Fighters, probably because it was both collectathon and shooter in one.

>> No.5732067

I don't know what a zoomer is but 3D games have always made me dizzy. I have a hard time navigating them.

>> No.5732440

>>5731296
nope. never liked banjo kazooie with similar games

>> No.5732451

Nah, I enjoyed this. Many great games are built on hoarding. I am a hoarder myself of games.

>> No.5732457

/v/-tier thread

>> No.5732459

>>5731296
Probably the only genre I genuinely don't get the appeal of. 2D platformers are cool, 3D platformers are fun, collectathons were always boring tripe.

>> No.5732690

Personally I think it's because society was concerned about violent video games in the 90's and 00's and kids didn't play "mature" games as often as they do now like with CoD, so it was the go-to kid friendly genre all parents bought for their kids. Basically an artificially popularized genre due to societal situations that won't happen again

>>5732459
I feel the same way. I can play 2D platformers all day, especially the action oriented ones, but give me a collectathon and I'm ready to blow my brains out

>> No.5732693

>>5731705
Streaming =/= dlc zoom

>> No.5732703

>>5732693
>content that you download from a satellite isn't DLC because it has a timer attached to it
You weren't streaming the data linearly, anon, you literally downloaded the entire game and then played it for a set period. No video signals (aside from the audio stuff) was "streamed" in the same sense we use nowadays.
kill yourself uneducated boomer.

>> No.5732708

>>5732703
You know damn well what we mean you we say DLC, you prick.

>> No.5732712
File: 155 KB, 455x396, 1561644717099.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5732712

>>5732708
okay boomer. Keep being incorrect and then blame everyone else for your misnomers.

>> No.5732714

>>5732459
>>5732690
Did your dad molest you when playing collectathons or something?

Pretty much every normal unbiased person likes Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. The designers themselves stated that the reason these games became a lot less prominent is it is hard to come up with ideas for the collectibles and easier to shit out a new CoD game or similar.

Kids back then had every mature game like they do now - do you really think they couldn't get Duke Nukem, Quake, Mortal Kombat and Goldeneye? I suppose that's something to imagine for a zoomer but it's complete bs and putting it forward as a reason why collectathons were popular is stupid in many ways.

>> No.5732718

>>5731320
Sounds like you were a Playstation kid. Better to not pay attention to the competition if you can only afford one.

>> No.5732724
File: 192 KB, 937x865, haha he lick butthole B).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5732724

>>5732714
>everyone should like them because normalfags like them
I like SM64 because the controls themself are super fun, but I don't get the appeal of Banjo Kazooie or DK64 from a gameplay standpoint. I've never liked them even when I was a kid. They always have felt like eurojank timesinks honestly. I'd much rather play something like Mischief Makers or SMW then the average collectathon.

>> No.5732726 [DELETED] 

>>5732703
> you literally downloaded the entire game

Way to be literal, retard
It's almost like you don't even know what DLC means in 2019

>> No.5732729

>>5732724
I don't even really consider SM64 to be a collectathon, honestly. It has much more focused design as a course-based 3D platformer and actually has very little in common with the gameplay styles of Banjo-Kazooie and DK64.

>> No.5732734

>>5732693
>>5732703
>>5732726
Guys... my post was a joke. Chill the fuck out.

>> No.5732741
File: 10 KB, 231x218, 1560330151865.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5732741

>>5732726
>I WASN'T BEING LITERAL
You can't say x =/= y if you're not being literal, retard. You're wrong and you deleted your post out of boomer cope.

>> No.5732875

>>5731296
I liked some of the ones that came out before you were born zoomer

>> No.5732915

>>5731805
You weren't aware of sm64 until '98? Were you in a coma or something?

>> No.5732961

>>5732714
>Pretty much every normal unbiased person likes Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie
so obviously Fortnite and CoD are the best games ever then

>> No.5732975

>>5732961
False equivalence

>> No.5733306

i like exploring levels and finding shit

>> No.5733310

>>5732975
>kidlogic is only valid when i use it

>> No.5733632

>>5732915
You'd be surprised what people can miss when they're not immersed in a topic.

>> No.5733702

>>5732975
It's not, actually. The criteria you established for a game to be good is "everyone likes it" and that is a very real consequence of such criteria.

>> No.5733760

Is there a more zoomer term than collectathon

>> No.5733962

>>5732961
they really are good though. you've just grown into an opinionated sheep who can't have fun.

>> No.5734432

They’re relaxing but that’s about it, no substance.

>> No.5734441

>>5733632
Clearly not a gamer at all if you missed the largest 3d related release game of the era.

>> No.5734445

>>5732067
>I don't know what a zoomer
HOW FUCKING NEW ARE YOU?

>> No.5735490

>>5733760
Making up retarded new words is the third most important thing in a zoomers life so there should be a lot

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action