[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 91 KB, 800x560, 6126-super-mario-64-nintendo-64-front-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5708951 No.5708951 [Reply] [Original]

What is a bizarre/very specific way you were introduced to a nostalgic game?

For me, it was when I was about 5-6 I had black mould in my house, and I had developed a serious allergic reaction to it.
I had to stay in the hospital for a while, but while I was there, I got to play a Nintendo 64 while I was in my hospital bed, and it ended up being my first time playing Super Mario 64.

>> No.5708978

When I was in grade 3 or 4 I was biking to school and got in a big accident and cut my chin pretty bad (still have a scar from it) and stayed home from school for a week or so. My dad rented an N64 for me and I played Shadows of the Empire.

>> No.5708986

I lent a friend one of my shit ps1 games I really don't remember. She broke it on accident and offered to give me a game she never plays anyway, final fantasy tactics.

>> No.5709081

I went to an expensive prep school and during non-term time the kids that stayed on school grounds instead of going home would be allowed to bring and play games all day long. When everyone was out in the playground I stole a bunch of n64 cartridges and someones gameboy and hid them in the cloak room. There was a whole big incident and everyones bags were searched, everyone was held in detention for a few hours, but they never found them and nobody suspect me. A few days later when everything had died down I put them in my bag and walked out. I didn't actually have a n64 console and I've never played the game on actual hardware. I still have the cartridge.

>> No.5709098

>>5709081
There is no lower man than someone who steals another person's games. Also your story doesn't even count for the thread.

My bizarre introduction to DKC2 was at a friend's house when we stopped playing N64 for a while and showed me a SNES game he bought recently. I asked why he was still buying SNES games when he had a N64 (you have to understand the hysteria and newness of 3d games at the time). He said it was good but he was selling it and there was a girl calling later that day so we played it until then and I said it was good and not to sell it. This hotass blonde girl (as hot as a 12 year old can be) arrives later and paid £6.50 for the game that was £35 new. It was a bizarre introduction to what I now consider one of the greatest games of all time.

>> No.5709104

>>5709098
How does it not count for the thread, dingbat? OP asked about first introductions of a nostalgic game. I like Mario 64, my story is of the first introduction to the game despite not actually playing it until years later on an emulator

>> No.5709105

I have an illness where I shit myself a lot, so Ive been sheltered all my life. Vidya keeps me alive.

>> No.5709148

>>5709104
>I like Mario 64, my story is of the first introduction to the game despite not actually playing it until years later on an emulator
nigga your trolling is making me laugh.

>> No.5709157

>>5708951
To tag onto faggot OP, if you guys do any donations, donate to charities that bring video games to sick kids. It's a great way to make the world a little better place and give some sick kids a break from the stress. Also ones that donate peripherals to handicapped kids and shit.

>> No.5709663

>>5708951
When I was 8 or 9 years old and I played the first half of Kingdom Hearts for the PS2, but I never finished it and replaced it with a NBA Live game because I’m an idiot.

Now fast forward 17 years later, I find myself having flashbacks of playing KH because of KH3 walkthroughs. It’s strange how my brain remembers stuff like this.

>> No.5709685
File: 838 KB, 1200x900, 1561753391158.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5709717

>>5709663
Not retro and you have to be 18 to post here.

>> No.5709815

>>5709685
pathetic console war bait. Both games had undeniable soul.

>> No.5709973

>>5709685
>If I make an image out of something people won't realize how retarded and shit my points are.

>> No.5709982

>>5709717
> When I was 8 or 9
> 17 years later
Anon is retarded and can't do maths

>> No.5710037

>>5708986
* by accident.

>> No.5710043

>>5709105
You probably eat really badly.

>> No.5710068

Hope I don't get banned for this, because it's a Gamecube story, but fits the thread well.

My dad was a cop (he retired a couple years ago), and one day when I was, like, 13 or so, I spent the afternoon at his office. On the way home, we noticed signs for an estate sale on a back road on the way home. We turn down, follow the signs, and find a huge mansion about ten minutes from home we didn't know existed. It was made with big Roman columns and a fountain and really big. Looked like a huge yard sale was going on there, there was junk everywhere on the lawn.

My dad and I stopped to look through the house and there was lots of cool stuff. The guy running the sale talked to us a bit, and seemed really nervous that my dad, in police uniform, was there. He talked a lot about the old woman who died, about how he had licenses to be there and how he could cut us deals on anything we wanted. I think he thought my dad was investigating, despite my dad just looking at the tools and books and stuff and having me with him.

Anyway, the shady guy said to me "hey buddy, do you like video games?" and I'm like "yeah." He takes me and my dad to a room with a bunch of those CD books with a TONY of Xbox and PS2 and PS3 games. I didn't have any of those systems (yet), but he also had quite a Gamecube game collection. He was like "any of them are your for $0.50, pal. Just for you." So I bought Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and an XMen game. Never had played any Metroid game before that, and needless to say, I fell in love with them.

That mansion is just gone now. Like, a vacant lot grown over with greenery now. It was weird, because I think something fishy was going on there.

I'd also just like to reiterate >>5708951 and >>5709157, this is very true. I was diagnosed with type one diabetes when I was 9 years old, and had to spend two weeks in the hospital. They had an N64 on wheels for kids to play and Star Fox 64 got me through the initial depression. Good cause.

>> No.5710286
File: 437 KB, 245x118, 1558389743991.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5709105
Kek, I imagine you sitting on a huge pile of shit formed like a beanbag with a soda can stuck inside it and just mounts of toilet paper laying around in the room.

>> No.5710319
File: 10 KB, 480x360, nd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My local arcade was at the home base of the region's major coin-op distributor. As such it had a massive collection of games accumulated there over time. The game area was a long long room considerably bigger than say Space Port at the mall and there was no bullshit there like Chucky Cheese. Just games. Tons of games, all the newest ones at the time at the front, some of the newer but bigger multiplayer cabs went toward the middle... and stuff not touched for a long time found its way to the back. In the darkness of the back corner stood Night Driver, this crude 70s game that was probably the oldest thing in there. It was so strange at the time, which was probably about 90-91.