[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 18 KB, 425x234, Final_Fantasy_IV[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5701510 No.5701510 [Reply] [Original]

What's the best way to play Final Fantasy IV? I'd prefer to play on SNES, but which translation?

>> No.5701516

GBA with restoration patch.

>> No.5701520

>>5701516
Just the sound restoration patch? Regular translation is fine?

>> No.5701538

SNES, original release. It's fine as is.

>> No.5701572

No translation

>> No.5701576

I started it a month ago with the "Namingway Edition" seems good so far

>> No.5702724

was wondering about this too. went through mato's summary a couple days ago (https://legendsoflocalization.com/which-final-fantasy-iv-translation-should-you-play)) and i didn't care for anything post-snes. he likes the ds translation, which might objectively be the best overall (deference to mato's knowledge and passion, and he's certainly provided enough support for his conclusions), although i'm not keen on the sotn reference (or the font, although the mobile and pc versions are more readable), and off the cuff it seems like some of its erudite word choice and phrasing would inherently clash with ff4's generally straightforward nature and brisk pacing.

the snes fan translation options are j2evisceration, project ii, and namingway edition. the formermost should be the most faithful gameplay-wise to the original sfc version, while the latter two incorporate several bugfixes and gameplay tweaks. the lattermost is probably the most accurate translation-wise (although it uses modern ff lingo like curaga, and that combined with a lot of other renaming makes p2 look easier to get into if you're coming from the official snes translation), but any differences in meaning between it and p2 are probably minor since the authors are working closely together. not sure about j2evisceration, but since it's built around fixing j2e's shit, i'd assume that its translation falls short when compared to the ground-up approach of the other two. it's also worth noting that both p2 and nwe have fixed/tweaked several things after mato's observations (ex: the taxes/mortgages examples were fixed to align with what was said in the sfc version), and both projects are still active. of course, the original snes version is still a decent choice, and i loved it as a kid, but restored content and an improved translation could greatly enhance the game... and now i'm pumped to give one of these a playthrough.

>> No.5702745

>>5701520
Play the superior Super Famicom original and stop going to extra efforts to attempt to patch gimped ports.

>> No.5702981

>>5701510
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2623/
>>5701516
Get out. Those GBA ports are awful and the restoration patches don't restore shit, in fact they make things worse.

>> No.5703037

PSP version is my favorite. It comes bundled with the sequel which gets a lot of shit, but the base game is fine. If you don't like the arranged OST it has an option for the SFC original soundtrack.