[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 62 KB, 640x360, retro-consoles-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5683147 No.5683147 [Reply] [Original]

This shit was my childhood and I still sometimes find a game that I haven't touched yet and ends up being quality entertainment. What games would /vr/ recommend as a "you have to play this before you die" kind of list -- or, just outside that, the games that DON'T land on every single Top Ten Retro Games clickbait list, things that people might have missed but are still worth playing? Any platform, doesn't matter. I've got a ton of time on my hands for a while and not nearly enough to do with it.

Here I sit with a great gaming PC, more AAA games than I can count, and the most fun I've had lately was a fucking Mario 3 hack.

>> No.5683236

>>5683147
What do you need all those for? Most people only own one of those.

>> No.5683240

>>5683147
Keep the 360, sell everything else, and use the 360 to emulate everything else.

>> No.5683271

>>5683236
>>5683240
It's just a random picture I grabbed off Google because I didn't have anything thread-appropriate on hand. I don't still have any of my old consoles except the NES anymore, I'm an emulationfag now. Just looking for game recommendations for shit I didn't catch back in the day, or never had a chance to, like a lot of arcade games, or pretty much anything Sega pre-Dreamcast since I was a Nintendo kid.

Pardon my shitness at this, this is my first try at making a thread here. I remember seeing a post trying to compile "/vr/ core" a while back, but it's long since fallen off the catalog and I wasn't smart enough to save it back then, so that's kind of my inspiration here. "Recommend me some games, /vr/" just didn't sound like a good thread title.

>> No.5683282

>>5683271
Back to plebbit nigger.

>> No.5683309

Download romsets for the consoles. Give every title that you haven't touched before 1-2 minutes each. You'll probably know if you want to continue with the game by then. If you give every game on a console a try and don't skip obvious shovelware sports titles, and play two entire minutes per game for two hours every day, it would take you about 10 days to try every game any single 3rd or 4th gen console has. If you only play the major 2 platforms, you could play every NES, SMS, SNES, and Genesis game within roughly 40 days. If you go full on omni-platform and decide to play Atari 7800 and other also-ran consoles, it wouldn't take much longer since they usually have small libraries. All together, you could try out every game from 3rd and 4th gen in under two months of videogaming with just 2 hours a day. 5th gen is another 2000 games, which you could knock out in another month. And I doubt you would need the full 2 minutes to see if you like a 2nd or 1st gen game. Skip obvious shovelware, games you already know, and games you can tell you won't be interested in, and it would take even less time.

So you could see for yourself every retro console game in three months of playing games for two hours a day, and see what you like and don't like. You probably play that much already. Why not go discover hidden gems for yourself and report back on what you find, instead of making yet another "recommend me hidden gems plz" thread?

>> No.5683332

>>5683309
I appreciate your effort but I'm afraid it's gonna fall on deaf ears because the vast majority request threads that get made here are trolls/shitposters who just wanna shit up this place instead of genuine newfags who like to know more.
You don't seriously believe some kid or a randonm 20 something would go to this specific board on a site like 4chan, take anything that people say here at face value and waste most of their time here instead of googling the shit out of what they're looking for and haven gotten a decent answer to such a question in much less time, do you?

>> No.5683457
File: 8 KB, 320x200, donkey.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5683309
I'm actually doing close to this.
I try a game until it pisses me off or I can't stop laughing at the shittyness. Then a take screenshots of the decent ones for the emulator.

The ones I really love, I try to find the carts for if there not too expensive/rare.

Seems pretty fun so far.

>> No.5684074

>>5683147
What shit was your childhood? The 1977 2600 to the 206 xbox 360? Top kek kid. More like your childhood is what's missing there. Wii to Switch.

>> No.5684282
File: 442 KB, 1466x1223, 1513683116879.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5683271
You need to keep an eye open for chart threads, I lost mine but have pic related. Maybe start a chart thread once this drops off the catalog.

Also, /v/ recommended does a decent job at "must play" lists, though they focus on too much non translated weeb shit that's unplayable without moon.

>> No.5684291

>>5683147
Earthbound zero thru mother 3

>> No.5684296

>>5683147
>and the most fun I've had lately was a fucking Mario 3 hack.
Don't talk about Mario 3 like that spaswad,

>> No.5684549

>>5684282
>You need to keep an eye open for chart threads instead of thinking for yourself
Better advice was had never been exchanged between a pair of zoomers