[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 206 KB, 1920x1080, 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5653569 No.5653569 [Reply] [Original]

Just picked up Point Blank 2 and a second guncon. This game is awesome. Are the other ones worth seeking out? And do you think this will be any good?

>> No.5655173

>>5653569
Other what, Point Blank games? Yes

>> No.5655235

>>5653569
Time Crisis
Time Crisis: Projetct Titan
Elemental Gerard
Ghoul Panic
Rescue Shot
Resident Evil Survivor

>> No.5655238

>>5653569
Think about Wii man

>> No.5655242

>>5655238
This about real light gun boy

>> No.5655262

>>5653569
Elemental Gearbolt is my favourite on PS1. Lightgun games are always fun with 2 players, but now that you have 2 Guncons you can also play co-op modes by yourself with a gun in each hand and feel like a motherfucking action hero.

>> No.5655409

>>5653569
house. of the dead. TWO.

>> No.5655874

>>5655238
NOT RETRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> No.5655891

>>5653569
I want to get into light gun games.
What's the console with best light gun games?

>> No.5655957

>>5655891
Playstation and Playstation 2, other somewhat worthy light gun systems would be Master System, Nes and Dreamcast

>> No.5656116

>>5655891
Saturn has both virtua cops, die hard trilogy and house of the dead... If only call the virtua cops truly great or if those though. Dreamcast has hotd2 and its my favorite lightgun game ever

>> No.5656739

The best lightgun right now is VR, the problem is the total lack of games because lightguns are niche as all fuck, and VR is niche as all fuck.

The whole lightgun community for the past decade has basically been one french dude on a forum patching games to work with IR garbage. I played Time Crisis today in New Retro Arcade, and it's fucking depressing.

With a better gun model, with better options, with proper fucking MAME support and all the superfluous bullshit cut out, so I can just stand in front of a virtual screen and shoot bad guys all day, VR would be great. So far, the only thing that actually manages this is a gimmicky 3D NES emulator that lets you play Hogan's Alley and duck hunt. I'm probably going to try and set up dolphin VR next to see if I can get HotD2 running, but I'm guessing I'll run into 50 different issues that all make it as unplayable as TC is.

I'm vaguely interested in this new generation of guns that seems to be springing up, they look a lot better than Aimtrak, but I'd rather just go back to my act-labs gun if you're forcing me to play on a real screen. There are no occlusion issues with a CRT gun, you can't move too close and fuck up the tracking.

>> No.5658130

>>5656739
>the most retarded kid right now is this total tard
>
>the whole of the world is totally the few things he knows about
>
>blah blah blah vr blah blah
>
>i'm vaguely sentient

>> No.5658141

>>5653569
Fresh E3 release
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YusO47cGJdI

>> No.5658205

>>5658130
thank you i thought i was the only one.

vr fucking sucks because its not 2P
every system i have supports 2 players and has atleast two available controllers

no point in gaming if u cant share it with a cutie

>> No.5658293

>>5658141
nice, but how does it work with LCD?

>> No.5658328

>>5658205
I have never given a shit about 2P, because that experience at home is a fucking hassle.

Note that VR 2P would actually totally work, and be a pretty good substitute for actually standing in a room with someone. I don't know why people sperg out about new technology this much, is it really because you can't afford a few hundred bucks?

>>5658130
Feel free to point me in the direction of some bustling light gun community that doesn't get 10 posts a month, dude. Sure, CXBX is coming along so maybe we'll be able to play VC3 in a few years, and Technoparrot can play some non-retro releases that are mostly shit, but in terms of actual development the scene is dead. We did at least finally get the TC helicopter bug fixed in MAME last year, but I can't even try that out in VR because NRA:N is using a 5 year old libretro core.

>> No.5658387

>>5658141
>indieshit

>> No.5658394

>>5658141
>guns don't even work
>on screen cursor
>actual game looks atrociously bland, a few different 2D screens and a few types of enemy
I don't understand who this game is for. Hipsters?

>>5658293
There have been solutions for LCD that work fine since HotD2, the problem is that none of them are available at home. Image detection tech is getting fast enough that this isn't really a problem, though.

>> No.5658405

I found a Guncon2 for three bucks recently. Time Crisis 2 was fun at least.

>> No.5658427
File: 666 KB, 1069x818, Screenshot_20190613-071341_Gallery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5658328
VR isnt new tech bb
its been a thing since the famicom disk system
its just a gimmick & rarely adds value to gameplay

a normal controller(or better yet 2P arcade stick) for the time being is the superior option because like i said approachability and ease of use is what matters most.

>a few hundred bucks
oh honey, it was never about the money

>> No.5658436

>>5658394
You do realize thats just promotional video in other words an advertisement,right?
Its not there to fulfill your desires its just there to tell you that you might find a machine like that in the wild.
>>5658387
>sold over a million copies
not bad for indie shit right.
But im sure your standards are higher than that.

>> No.5658487

>>5658427
>VR isnt new tech bb
The concept, maybe. The tracking improvements are huge, though, and the resolution is finally approaching levels that would be considered playable.

>its just a gimmick & rarely adds value to gameplay
Saying it doesn't add value is like saying that you should just play Virtua Cop with a mouse. Of course it adds value, as long as the game is built for it. I wouldn't want to play Quake with a lightgun, I wouldn't want to play Area 51 with a mouse, but both are fun in VR.

>approachability and ease of use
We're talking light guns here. Sure, they're easy to use in the arcade, and on console, but if you're looking for an experience that isn't hundreds of bucks per game, and you want decent picture quality unlike the ports of the time, light guns are pretty fucking user unfriendly. You have to calibrate them pretty much every time you want to use them, you have to manually set up front ends with 8 layers of garbage hacks, you have to re-calibrate in game, remember all your custom binds in the 8 different emulators that you haven't used in a month because most people don't play TC every day, it's a pretty annoying experience.

>> No.5658492

>>5658328
You never gave a shit about 2P because you sit in your room playing with yourself. You seriously judge light guns by how many posts the community about them gets each month? Damn you're more far gone that I thought. Mean while, back in the real world, real men are playing actual light gun games in actual arcades while their bitches are laughing at people like you and indicating the size of your cock with their pinkies.

>> No.5658504

>>5658492
>You seriously judge light guns by how many posts the community about them gets each month?
Are you ESL or just fucking stupid? I'm judging the size of the development scene for the genre, you'd have to be fucking retarded to think that light gun games are popular anymore. You know, because arcades are fucking dead in the west, dying in Japan, and LCDs make home use impossible?

Go fuck yourself with a rake.

>> No.5658523

Die Hard Trilogy, but annoyingly, it wants a Konami Justifier and doesn't recognize the Namco G-con at all.

There are other light guns I've seen it work with, but the G-con is not one of them.

>> No.5658528

>>5655874
It is retro

>> No.5658532

>>5658523
Weren't there guncon patches for a lot of PS1 games?

A quick google brings up this.
https://github.com/mirror/nuvee/tree/master/ps1%20-%20guncon%20conversions

I fucking hate the justifier, I've got one. It barely works, the guncon is 10 times better thanks to the video sync.

>> No.5658535

>>5656739
They made a VR of the first Serious Sam game. It looked pretty good.

>> No.5658638

>>5658532
Holy shit.
I'd suck your dick right now if I could.

>> No.5658858

>>5658504
>redux
The "development scene" for any old system isn't going to be huge dumbass. And damn, what a loser. I play light gun games in the arcade and at home regularly. They're very popular because they're so much better than waggle shit "light" gun games. It must really suck to be a poor zoomer whos mommy won't let him have an old TV in his room.

>> No.5658867

>>5658858
>They're very popular because they're so much better than waggle shit "light" gun games.
What the fuck are you even talking about here? You know the Wii was 13 years ago, right?

>The "development scene" for any old system isn't going to be huge dumbass.
Take pinball, a similarly niche hobby. There is a lot of Pinball software available for VR, and a lot of on-going development to bring tables into it. Just because something is old, that doesn't mean development has to be dead.

>It must really suck to be a poor zoomer whos mommy won't let him have an old TV in his room.
I mean, you're right, I don't have a TV. I've got a PC CRT monitor, and a PVMeme I bought years before the hipster fad for next to nothing. My old TV is out in the garage, I don't really need a 14" for anything.

I'd still prefer to play light gun games in VR. My PS1 is getting on in years and the laser is dying, and swapping between titles and consoles, and different lightguns for different systems, it's all a bit of a hassle. If there was some kind of lightgun frontend for VR, I could avoid all that.

>> No.5658912

>>5658867
>the laser is dying

PSIO, my dude.

>> No.5658914

>>5658912
It's a lot of money for not a lot of value. PS1 emulation these days is fantastic, it's a far cry from a few years back when people had to use ePSXe. The only games I'd be using it for are a few light gun titles, all of which I could just emulate, with light gun support, on my PC.

>> No.5659236

>>5658532
>https://github.com/mirror/nuvee/tree/master/ps1%20-%20guncon%20conversions
>no binaries

fffffff

>> No.5659620
File: 1.61 MB, 3264x1836, 20190613_182304.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5659635

>>5658867
I'm talking about how waggle guns are shit. Do you think they must be good because they older than you?
Aspies trying to do VR versions of something aren't developing with/for that platform. They're desperately trying to cram content into their VR platform to get people to use it.
I know I'm right and your LARP about your 14" TV sitting in your dads garage just confirms it.
You can prefer VR or sucking cock or whatever other freaky fetish you have. That doesn't make them "The best lightgun right now". Ask your moms husband to get you another PS1 for fucks sake if you need one. But you're not going to use it because you don't swap between titles and consoles and use different lightguns for different systems. You sit around fantasizing about what might be with VR.

>> No.5660353

>>5659635
You need professional help or something, dude. I honestly can't even follow your train of thought here, it's just fucking gibberish.

All I want is to play existing emulators in VR, because it's a convenient system. I know it'd never happen, but imagine playing Police 9/11 with virtual IR beams and shit. That's a hell of a lot better than the PS2 port that needs a specific chipset webcam and only supports 4:3.

>>5659236
Search the name and you'll probably find the ppf files.

>> No.5660814

>>5660353
The crazy kid who fantasizes about how "The best lightgun right now is VR" is the only one who needs help.
We get it. You're a poor emubaby and hope VR will some day allow you to experience what other kids who have a few quarters can. That only makes VR "the best non-lightgun a poor deranged child can imagine having some day"

>> No.5660846

>>5660814
VR is pretty clearly the best lightgun right now, though. USB2Gun is crazy expensive, Act-labs guns only update on trigger pull, Aimtrak is hot garbage, topgun and Wiimotes aren't even worth mentioning, and rewiring and writing your own custom code for a Naomi or later cab is both expensive and well past my area of expertise. Console solutions are alright if you're okay with playing cut down port versions, and collecting cabinets is okay if you're a millionaire, but for sane people, VR is the most reasonable way to play these titles at home.

Sinden might change that, but right now, there just isn't any other product that offers the kind of accuracy required in the home market.

>> No.5661098
File: 212 KB, 552x414, not sure if trolling or just very stupid.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5660846
>VR is pretty clearly the best lightgun right now
>not a light gun
>Sinden
>fucking kek