[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 305 KB, 1421x855, zpg-concept_kids01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
562143 No.562143[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

For fuck's sake, why does Earthbound have to be so negative? I wanted an adventure, but bam - I get social satire. Then I hoped for adventure and mystery, but BAM fucking criticism of religious cults. What the fuck, then it's satire of pop culture? Every single time I make a turn, there's shitty, outdated, banal satire.

You know what, faggots, I think you all liked it back then only because you were too young and dumb and only caught the good, simple aspects of EB's writing. The actual bitterness and banality of the script evaded you, while now you're simply nostalgic and focus on the good parts.

Style and rpesentation in EB are impeccable. Gameplay is a lightly botched Dragon Quest, it's OK, it's passable. But why does the story have to be so bitter and hateful in every other sentence? The game feels like talking to a 22 year old nerd.

Pic unrelated.

Bonus: say "go to /v/" and get fucking banned.

>> No.562146

>Gameplay is a lightly botched Dragon Quest

Dragon Quest is a heavily botched Dragon Quest

>> No.562153

>OP didn't know that EB is a parody of RPGs.

>> No.562164

>>562143
>BAM fucking criticism of religious cults.

how outrageous. of course as a member of a stupid religious cult I was infuriated.

>> No.562172

Never played the game, but what's wrong with satire and social criticism? That shit is great. I want a game that will indulge my philosophy boner, the closest is Planescape.

>> No.562180

Whatever happened to Zombie Playground? Is it still in development or did they scrap it?

Sage for non-retro

>> No.562262

>>562164
I wasn't infuriated. I was bored to death.

>>562172
>but what's wrong with satire and social criticism?
The game promises a lighthearted adventure, then substitutes it with very superficial social criticism. That's what's the problem.

>> No.562272

>>562153
>EB is a parody of RPGs
EB does not parody JRPGs at all. There is nothing parodic in it's mechanics. It's as straight a DQ clone as any.

>> No.562485

>>562262
While I agree that Earthbound isn't a very good game, not being what it was originally advertised to be is one of the most generally appealing points of it, at least to many of its fans. It made you think that it'll be just another one kiddy cartoony adventure and then BAM it progressively starts sliding into nightmare mode.

>> No.562565

>>562272
>I didn't get it

>> No.562581

>>562143
I'm curious then, what exactly did you want from it? If you knew nothing about it before playing it, what were you expecting?
I mean, it advertised humor, and there was humor. It advertised adventure and alien fighting, and you had adventure and alien fighting. It's true there's a religious cult in it, but there's a religious cults in a lot of things, and they are almost always portrayed as being evil, inept, or simply stupid. The script was excessively saccharine in a lot of ways, but personally, I thought that was kind of endearing.

tl;dr: What were you hoping for going in to play it?

>> No.562626

>>562272
I agree. I always hate when people pretend you get to name yourself a satire/parody when you're doing the exact same shit you're calling out.
Oh look coins in rats and other animals. No one has ever pointed this out in an RPG before. This means we're off scot free in being a bog standard and subpar one. Subversion isn't particularly clever most of the time either but at least it isn't so hypocritical.

Not joining in on the bashing of EB, just an annoyance i've found to be true in general when it comes to games that label themselves like that.

>> No.562628
File: 68 KB, 367x451, AH HAHAHA FAGGOT TO THE MAX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>SPOILER

IM
FUCKING
DEAD

>> No.562639

>>562626
>Oh look coins in rats and other animals. No one has ever pointed this out in an RPG before. This means we're off scot free in being a bog standard and subpar one.

And I have an annoyance when people argue against points that people never made.

>> No.562657

>>562628
You're still scared enough to refrain from your normal knee-jerk reaction, though. I.e., the spoiler serves it's purpose.

>> No.562664

>>562639
>And I have an annoyance when people argue against points that people never made.
That one has been made. Hell I even recall the last one I played that did it. The Bard's Tale remake.
I'm pretty sure there are several other ones that pretend to parody shit (and I don't just mean a lightfel homage/joke but continous "parody") and then do the same while they're at it.

>> No.562684

>>562657
Fuck you /v/babby. No one fucking cares you fucking cocksucking piece of scum. Go die in a fire you fucking batterychucker.

>>>/v/
>>>/hm/
>>>/cm/
>>>/b/

>> No.562685

>>562664

I'm not talking about games being self aware, I'm talking about your point that "No one has ever pointed this out before" and "That means we're off scot free". No one is making that argument.

>> No.562695

Go to /v/

>> No.562697

>>562685
>No one is making that argument.
Once you take the piss out of something while doing the exact same thing yourself it just ends in self-parody and falls straight into moronic territory.

>> No.562717

>>562657

Go to /v/