[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 48 KB, 385x386, 61AKsgTItfL._SX385_[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
560552 No.560552 [Reply] [Original]

Suikoden 2 ain't that rare and it ain't that good either.

>> No.560602

I agree. Suikoden II is incredibly mediocre, but don't let the fanboys hear you say that, you'll never see the end of it.

>> No.560621

>hmmm, I'm bored
>I KNOW, I'll make a thread on /vr/
>hmmm, but how should i start
>I KNOW, let's start by assuming it isn't THAT rare because I have it
>OOOH, OOOH, and let's post a vague opinion about the game that can easily be misinterpreted, provoking people into starting flamewars instead of generating meaningful discussion
>what an awesome thread, i should give myself a pat on the back

And before you wrongfully asume that my opinion is based on overzealous fanatism: no. I haven't played the game, so my opinion on this game is null.

I'm just pointing out that the community of /vr/ would appreciate your thread alot better if you took care in properly redacting it in a more detailed and specific way, so as to promote actual discussion and avoid misunderstandings that would likely derail into /v/ quality "my opinion is better than yours" threads.

Sage for aforementioned reasons. And no, this is not a "downvote".

>> No.560662

Still better than Earthbound, CT and SD3.

>> No.560673

It's pretty damn rare. I got lucky and found it used at a gamestop for 30 bucks years ago, but it was scratched to hell and I had to fix it to get it to work. Good luck finding a copy nowadays that isn't selling online for at least $100.

Also, it's nothing remarkable, but it's a great traditional RPG with a relatively unique setting/story, and it's easily the best in the series. It's a solid 7/10 if there ever was one.

However, it's still my all time favorite game because of the characters, the setting, the music, and generally the entire package. I've beaten it six times and always enjoyed it, and I'd recommend it to any fan of RPG's

>> No.560676

>>560662

>i'll just ignore this anon's >>560621 advice and continue to spite as many people as possible because my mediocrity prevents me from coming up with a compelling argument

And I'm out. Hiding the thread behind me. I wouldn't want the game spoiled for me, anyways. But you should seriously consider stop being an obnoxious ass by imposing your opinions on others.

>> No.560684
File: 194 KB, 425x507, Suikoden_Highland_Path.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>560673
>Also, it's nothing remarkable, but it's a great traditional RPG with a relatively unique setting/story, and it's easily the best in the series. It's a solid 7/10 if there ever was one.

It's not pretentious, a common trap that most JRPGs from the PS1 era fell into. It also has one of the best examples of your old friend turning on you and not just for I'M EVIL reason. I think it's an amazing game and improvement over the original that was sadly overshadowed by other big name JRPGs at the time.

>> No.560690

Man, I love the character recruiting although games haven't exactly been consistent with it.

>Suikoden 1
If you miss a character it means you just weren't paying attention to the game.

>Suikoden 2
Multiple really hidden characters with their own requirements, timed quest to recruit one, possible wrong choices with monsters, etc. Best at this.

>Suikoden 3
Generally easy enough, although some backtracking will be required for some characters.

>Suikoden 4
More obtuse characters with a LOT of overseas travel to get them, couple of unexpected party members.

>Suikoden 5
Return to S2 form with hidden characters here and there and generally have to work to think in order to recruit certain individuals. Second best in this aspect.

>> No.560701

It's a really good game with enough unique things to it to be significantly different from many other jRPGs of that gen (and any gen for that matter). While a game like Earthbound only has a unique setting and story, this quality extends to the gameplay in Suikoden 2 as well. It's by no means the best game ever made, but as far as jRPGs go, it's pretty damn decent.

>> No.560703

>>560684
True, the thing that first got me to really appreciate it is that among a slew of grandiose "Save the world from the ultimate evil & get the girl" RPG plots, this one felt a little more small scale and personal. It's less about saving the world and more about fighting a war, and all the good and bad that comes with it.

Not only that but I enjoyed how filled in the world became, especially over the course of 5 games. With all the references to past/future games and recurring characters the world felt complete and real, and the various characters had just enough personal backstory to peak your interest in things you didn't get to see in game.

Personally, I'd kill for a Suikoden MMO, they already have an established lore and shit

>> No.560708

>>560690
>>Suikoden 4
Being able to recruit Ted almost saved that game for me.

Especially because I missed him the first time. I read that you could recruit him and that was the only reason I played it a second time.

>>560701
The vast amount of characters you could use along with the combination attacks and Rune magic all combined to make the combat one of the most, dare I say, fun combat system in and old school JRPG

>> No.560721
File: 469 KB, 512x480, 1810titlescreen.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>dfw Suikogaiden Volume 1 was finally translated a few months after 13 years of waiting

Sure, it's only about 4-5 hours, but holy shit was it a nice feeling of nostalgia.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1810/

>> No.560728

>>560721
Wait...WHAT? Seriously!?

Hory Shit, I've been waiting fucking years for this, Thank you glorious anon! Take all my thanks!

>mfw Nash is my favorite Suikoden character, and now I'll finally be able to enjoy this

>> No.560732

>>560708
>The vast amount of characters you could use along with the combination attacks and Rune magic all combined to make the combat one of the most, dare I say, fun combat system in and old school JRPG

I find it odd that despite the fact Suikoden 2 had 72 playable characters I still find them better characterized and likeable than Chrono Cross' 45 playable characters.

>> No.560741
File: 99 KB, 635x508, qxbkTaw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>560728
Yup. Get ready for awesomeness and conserve your Fate points.

>> No.560747

>>560708
insane encounter rate killed s4 for me. it was high even by suikoden standards.

>> No.560774

>>560741
motherfucking georg prime

>> No.560791

>>560741
Can't fucking wait. Looks like my Monday is already decided for me.

>>560732
Well, what little characterization they got was diverse and often eccentric enough to make them stand out. Not only that but the whole Spy system (Richmond in S2, the guy who finds random facts) gave you enough subtle hints about characters and other places that you were intrigued enough to want to know more. Unfortunately by the time of 3/4 they had started reusing a lot of character archetypes (Faggy French Aristocrats in every game? Check), so it started to loose some impact.

>>560747
I hated most everything about 4. The ship sailing premise seemed so good at first, but ended up just being slow and annoying, and the plot itself fell kind of flat. It barely built to a climax and then just kinda...ended. Even the characters were mostly forgettable.

Thankfully Suikoden 5 was a great return to form before the series quietly died. It was a good high note to go out on.

>tfw you will never know the stories of Flik & Viktor's adventures together as aging wandering best friend swordsmen

>> No.560812

>>560791
Weren't there PSP and DS games? Or are they fate worse than death?

>> No.560819

>>560812
Suikoden Tierktres (sp) on the DS. Haven't played it but I've heard from other fans that it differs greatly in style from the original games. I'll play it if I ever find a good copy, I can't seem to emulate it well on my computer.

The PSP game was just a rereleaed version of Suikoden 1&2 and was only released in Japan. I would love a NA release but all demand is dead for it. The news about the Suikoden team officially disbanding I read months ago made me shed a single tear in remembrance of my once great, always favorite series, I won't hold my breath for new games anymore.

I'll just continue my 7th run of Suikoden 2 tomorrow in prep for playing Suikogaiden. Seriously this is the happiest I've been regarding Suikoden in at least 3 years

>> No.560830
File: 215 KB, 475x816, genso_suikoden_tsumugareshi_hyakunen_no_toki.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>560819
nah there is an actual game for the psp. no idea if its any good.

>> No.560837

>>560812
>Weren't there PSP and DS games? Or are they fate worse than death?

My problem with those, even if they are good, is that they're not a continuation of the old Suikoden but are set in different dimensions of or something.

>> No.560862

>>560830
Well, shit, this is the first I heard. Seeing as the PSP is dead I highly doubt they'll localize it, but I can hope for an eventual fan translation. This is good news either way

>> No.561249

nice try

>> No.561269

I think Suikoden II is fantastic, personally.

One of the few games in its genre that nails the moral ambiguity of war, even if Luca Blight is a crazy motherfucker.

I've played Suikoden IV and it was okay.

I own III but have yet to play it.

>> No.561285

>>561269
>I own III but have yet to play it.
Play it. Don't expect another S II though. It's wonderful in its own way.

>> No.561312

>>560862
Not...really. The game is not that good by Suikoden's standards.
They removed the "108 stars of destiny" and replaced them with the "108 hero skills" you can learn.
Only 50 something characters join you, and out of them, only 31 of them are playable.

>> No.561343
File: 45 KB, 480x640, FutchS1S2S3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I always found the Suikoden series to be more enjoyable if you play them in chronological order.
The themes, characters, and references from previous games are strong enough to make it an incredible experience.
It's like reading a story that spans for decades, seeing world and characters grow older, change, die...

>> No.561805

>>561285
my problem with s3 is how... irrelevant everything in it feels. it's not a war between nations, it's just some minor border skirmish. shame because it was actually building up to great things.

>> No.561809
File: 112 KB, 584x490, s2_Futch.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>561343
>Futch

I love how he basically turns into Humphrey by Suikoden 3. Even down to his pose.

>> No.561831

>>560552
>ain't that rare and it ain't that good either.
So basically it's the PS1's Earthbound?

>> No.561854
File: 29 KB, 255x292, apple.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>561805
You also don't have a resident strategist if I recall correctly. You get Apple and Caesar as guest stars, but that's it.

I'll never say no to Apple, though.

>> No.561918

>>561831
I have Suikoden II and I don't think it's that rare. It was an okay game, got the shit ending the first time around, then I got all the characters. There's even a guy with a gun, a chef, and a fat kid who wants to be just like the main character, good times.

>> No.561978

>>561918
That fat kid joined me with me on level 99. Also Georg and Long Chan Chan had the same bug.

>> No.561991
File: 82 KB, 436x427, s2_apple.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>561854
unf

>> No.562091
File: 86 KB, 500x647, tumblr_lfxw3nq6Qg1qgbotgo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>561805
As far as the entire Zexen/Grasslands war, it did feel smaller scale than the first two, but the entire Masked Man plot that ended up becoming the focus in the last act was my favorite part. It added some weight to the situation given his goals (and motivation, considering who he really was). It wasn't until my second playthrough, and especially after doing the Masked Man's perspective chapter, that I actually came to really appreciate the story.

I was also fond of the changes to the battle system and the multiple perspective idea, but I know those actually bothered a lot of fans as well

>> No.562128

>>562091
Not the same guy, but I also liked the Trinity system when it came to narration. Shame it was made annoying by having to retread the same areas three times because they clearly had a limited budget to worth with.

>> No.562175

>>561978
You could grind that high?! The Suikoden II I remember was EXP capped. Was way ahead of its time in that regard as WoW caps EXP. It's been awhile since I played but it felt like it was capped.

>> No.562219

>>562175
You could get to Lv 99 in Suikoden 2, there's actually a very specific trick to instantly raise a character in the 50's-60's to lv 99 in one fight.

>> No.562507
File: 133 KB, 256x256, LSD_Coverart[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>560621
OP here. The point of this thread was going to be to talk about games with inflated cash value (games you should NOT buy right now) but then I just fell asleep.

>> No.563042

>>562507
well shit

>> No.563084

>>562507
I have the black label Final Fantasy VII with the misplaced i in masterpiece. Though all my stuff is opened so isn't worth anything.