[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 76 KB, 640x440, 196882_41866_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
557875 No.557875 [Reply] [Original]

Why do people hate this game so much? I played both characters and Legacy of Darkness and thought they were pretty solid for the N64.
Too much comparison to SOTN or OOT?

>> No.557904

Because having to press a button whenever you want to pick any item up rather than just walking over it is the very definition of tediousness.

Also terrible platforming.

>> No.557928

The platforming.
That said just picked up a copy for cheap last week.

>> No.557951

>>557928
>>557904
The only level where I felt the platforming really weighed me down was the Duel Tower. Everywhere else it was easy to just grip whatever you were jumping at.

>> No.561194

Fucking nitro glycerine.

But I'm with you on this one OP.

Sure, the platforming is bleh, but it has some of the best atmosphere out of any Castlevania game I've ever played.

Actually, I think one of the reasons people had such a negative reaction to it is that it feels nothing at all like a Castlevania game and disappointed people who were expecting something similar.

They really shouldn't have made this part of the series.

>> No.561231

>>557951
>duel tower

jesus christ, how i raged at this gay stage. it's like in circle of the moon where you rely on twitch controls more than anything to survive. I liked it though. the levels and maps were interesting. but damn, I hate clock tower and castle keep. last dracula boss is kinda hard too, only did with lots of drumsticks.

>> No.561238

anybody remember the art tower?
I think it was legacy of darkness though. had good level design and soundtrack. real fun.

>> No.561252

>>561238
btw I played SMT Digital Devil Saga and concerning the art tower there is a major flashback. the whole castle area in DDS is so much like CV64 from an aesthetical perspective. really took me back.

anybody noticed this too? especially the puzzle with the platforms and the chess game.

>> No.561261

Shit games, but they have a place in my heart.

>> No.562163

>Why do people hate this game so much?
The same reason people hate any unplayable early 3D game.
I swear, people that played PS1 and N64 as kids have nostalgia for the worst shit in gaming.

>> No.565516

It had a nice rendition of Bloodlines.

>> No.566101

It is just plain boring. It felt really bland and the controls were clunky. I could forgive the controls if I actually had a good time with the game but god damn it is just a snooze fest. Legacy of Darkness is alright though.

>> No.567658

>>557875
people piss and moan about the platforming, but for 1998 (IRC), it was not THAT bad.

The fucking garden maze with chainsaw Frankenstein was fucking nerve racking as shit. I loved that part.

The problem with this game, is that its an above average game for its time, but it didn't live up to the castlevania name....and the fucking nitroglycerin puzzle, fuck that shit.

>> No.567682

It was on the right track but really it was a slippery mess.