[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 23 KB, 400x589, controller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
557284 No.557284[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What are the best emulators for each console? Make your lists.
My:

* Atari 2600: Stella
* TurboGrafx16 (PC Engine): Pcejin
* Master System, Mega Drive, Sega CD and Game Gear: Kega Fusion
* Super Nintendo (Super Famicom): ZSNES
* Neo Geo: NeoRaine
* Jaguar: Virtual Jaguar
* Sega Saturn: Yabause
* 3DO: 4DO
* Playstation 1: ePSXe
* Nintendo 64: Emu-1964
* Dreamcast: nullDC
* Playstation 2: PCSX2
* Wii: Dolphin
* Nintendo DS: DeSmuME
* GameBoy: Virtual Boy Advance

If possible comment on why the preference

>> No.557369

RetroArch for most things it supports because it handles the presentation end better than most emulators, about as well as a perfectly configured higan, but more reliable (if less accurate but who cares about that). Then you just choose the best backend for the rom you are using.

>> No.557385

>* Super Nintendo (Super Famicom): ZSNES
MFW

Dude. bsnes is sooo much better.

>> No.557401
File: 45 KB, 272x153, Guts thumbs up.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>557284

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Windows_Emulators

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Emulation_General_Wiki

We should just have this as a sticky.

>> No.557414

SNES: ZSNES
Genesis/SMS/GG/32X/CD: Fusion
GB/GBC/GBA: VBA-M
PS1: pSX
N64: Project 64
Capcom CPS-1/2: Final Burn Alpha
NeoGeo: NeoRageX
NeoGeo Pocket/Pocket Color: NeoPop

That's what I've used.

>> No.557432

Urg. So many ZSNES users. Even Snes9x is better...

>> No.558289

Not to clog up the board with another simple question, what's the best emulator for symphony of the night on windows and plugins if you that's needed as well.

>> No.558337

SNES: SNES9x
Genesis/SMS/GG/32X/CD: Kega Fusion
TurboGrafx-16: Mednafen
NES: Jnes
Gameboy: Visual Boy Advance-M
PSX: ePSXe
Arcade: MAME
N64: There is none

>> No.558356

>>557284

this is a raid by /v/

just sage and move on

>> No.558420

SNES: bSNES/higan/SNES9X (I use them all in RetroArch. bSNES in RetroArch seems to have weird graphics issues so I tend to use SNES9X unless a game doesn't like it)

TG16: Mednafen PCE Accuracy/Fast (Again, I use it in RetroArch).

Sega Genesis, Master System, Game Gear, and Sega CD: Genesis Plus GX (only emulator I know of that plays Pier Solar with CD audio and can still save)

Sega Saturn: SSF (Runs everything I throw at it)

PS1: PCSX-R/Xebra/Mednafen PSX (The former does everything ePSXe does better and the latter two are muh accuracy. I use the last because I'm lazy and don't want to fuck with plugins)

N64: Project64 or Mupen64Plus? (N64 emulation still kind of sucks either way)

Dreamcast: nullDC (still pretty shit, though)

GameBoy [Color]: Gambatte (only emulator I know of that can run Shantae in GBA mode without shitting up)

GBA: VBA-M

NES: FCEUX/Nestopia (I use the latter because it has better colours, but both are really good)

>> No.558449

>>558289
Xebra or Mednafen PSX through RetroArch would probably be the easiest ways to play it since using a plugin emulator does nothing for 2D graphics anyway. No plugins needed, just configure and play.

That said, PCSX-R with the default plugins (OpenGL, not software, though the latter may work, too) would probably work for you.

>> No.558492

Well, Fraps runs with Nestopia, I use it for recording purposes. Other times I just use Jnes

For Game boy games I use Vbalink

>> No.558898

NES: FCE Ultra or FCEU GX on Wii
SNES: ZSNES or SNES9x GX on Wii
GB/C/A: VBA-M or VBA GX on Wii
SMS/GG/Gens/32X etc.: KEGA Fusion
PS2: PCSX2
PS1: A PSP + RemoteJoyLite

>> No.559360

>>558337
PJ64, but Mupen64plus is better in some aspects

>> No.561042

>>558492

Why use JNES at all? As far as I can tell, it does nothing Nestopia doesn't do and it's emulation accuracy is almost as bad as Nesticle

>> No.561090

I suppose since this is an emulator thread you guys could help me a bit? I've been using magic engine for a while, but I recently moved to Retro arch and been trying to use the mednafan core on it to try and emulate my PCE games. However, whenever I use it all I get is a blank screen and nothing happens. Perhaps I'm just doing something dumb on my end, but has anyone had this issues or solved it?

>> No.561131

>>557284
>* TurboGrafx16 (PC Engine): Magic Engine
>* Super Nintendo (Super Famicom): SNES9x overall
>Neo Geo: I just use mame. Don't really play much neogeo. Can't really disagree as I don't know about neoraine.
>n64: PJ64
>GBx: VBA-M
>Saturn: SSF period. Tried all the rest, they were broken and awful.

The rest I either have no opinion or agree.

>> No.561141

>>557401
We really shouldn't. That list is garbage.

>> No.561146

>>557284
>Super Nintendo (Super Famicom): ZSNES
>Playstation 1: ePSXe

You done fucked son. Really, switch to SNES9x or bSNES for super nintendo, while for PS1 you should be using PCSXR (plug-in based) or Xebra (best for accuracy)

Really, why are so many of you using these outdated/inaccurate piles of shit for emulation?

>> No.561154

>>557414
>ZSNES
> pSX

Why are so many people here ignorant about emulation?

>> No.561165

>>557284
>ZSNES
>ePSXe
I sense a troll thread.

>> No.561181

>>557432
>>558356
>>561146
>>561154
>>561165

I don't know. Does it somehow personally insult you if some people prefer to use emulators that they have grown comfortable with over the years?

>> No.561192

>>557284
* Atari 2600: None
* TurboGrafx16 (PC Engine): RetroArch w/Mednafen PCE core
* Master System, Mega Drive, Sega CD and Game Gear: Kega Fusion, but will probably try RetroArch w/Genplus core next time I play the Sonic games
* Super Nintendo (Super Famicom): RetroArch w/bsnes-accurate core. Snes9x on the rare occasion I need to run it on my old 2008 laptop
* Neo Geo: None
* Jaguar: None
* Sega Saturn: None
* 3DO: None
* Playstation 1: RetroArch w/Mednafen PSX core for 2D games. I also briefly tried PCSX-Reloaded, which seems to work okay - uses plugins like ePSXe, except it's not shit like ePSXe - probably better for pure 3D games due to being able to run at higher resolutions.
* Nintendo 64: I don't generally emulate N64, but when I did to playe the Zelda64s a few years back, I believe I used 1964.
* Dreamcast: None
* Playstation 2: PCSX2
* Wii: Dolphin
* Nintendo DS: None
* GameBoy: RetroArch w/VBA-Next core

>> No.561193

>>561165
epsxe is the most stable one of them and has the best interface.

>> No.561196
File: 314 KB, 523x536, 01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw the absolutely best NES, SNES and GBC emulators I ever had was for my old iMac9

They had fucking everything, and you could bring up a screen with automatically taken screenshots of where each savestate was used.

Now I have to fucking remember that shit, scrolling through state 0-9 just to see if there's anything there.

>> No.561205

>>561146
Maybe I just don't give a fuck about your accuracy autism.

>> No.561209

>>561181
No, it's just that usually when someone mentions ZSNES trolls defending it seem to pop up. It could of course be genuine ignorance from OP, assuming he's too new here to have seen any of the previous "best emulator" threads.
Sometimes I get the impression people start these threads for the sole purpose of inciting a flamewar.

>> No.561224

>>561193
>most stable
Could be, but none of the others I've tried have ever crashed either. How can you get more stable than 100% stable?

My main reason for not using it is that when I tried it (before I discovered the existence of the other more up-to-date PSX emulators), I found it to be all jittery and generally awful, and it slowed down to about 50% speed when running in fullscreen, so I gave up on replaying SOTN back then with the conclusion that no decent PSX emulators existed at the moment.

Later I discovered the existence of RetroArch and PCSX-R, both of which run the game fine and neither of which suffer from those issues on the same PC. PCSX-R similarly uses plugins, but does not suffer from the problems ePSXe did.
The fact that ePSXe is closed-source also holds it back and prevents it from ever getting any noteworthy development or bugfixes, and the people behind it seem to just use it as an advertisement for their Android app.

>> No.561230

>>561209
>trolls defending it

100% accurate autism detected

>> No.561232

>>561230
>ZSNES troll detected

>> No.561245

>>561232
>autist repeating his autism over and over

>> No.561274
File: 161 KB, 535x542, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>561196
You could always use a system to figure it out. IE last save at the end of a session always goes on 0, 1-2-3 for temporary saves and 4-9 for odd relevent saves.
Some emulators list time and date.
Supposing screens were similar enough, you'd have to scroll should them anyway and actually check shit anyway.
Optionally, you could use the menu/shortcuts to save a specific state file and name the fucking thing something relevant.

>> No.561281

>>561230
>>561245

100% accuracy doesn't even come into it.
It's more the simple fact that ZSNES hasn't been updated since 2007 (this is in itself a deal-breaker for me - I switched away from it in 2010 or so) and in its latest release is severely broken in some games - most notably Super Mario RPG. The one unique feature ZSNES had that potentially could have made it worth using over others - netplay - had also been broken for ages before even its latest release.

I used ZSNES from 1998 to 2010. It was the best back in the early years of emulation, but today it is garbage compared to newer emulators - most notably bsnes/Higan, which has been written from scratch in less time than has passed since ZSNES's last release.
I will not keep using an outdated and broken emulator out of some sort of misguided sense of loyalty when there are far superior alternatives out there, and I will not idly let others potentially mislead genuinely ignorant people into using outdated and broken shit.

>> No.561296

>>561224
>Could be, but none of the others I've tried have ever crashed either. How can you get more stable than 100% stable?
I've had the alternatives crash on multiple machines.
epsxe only does it's crash on close shit, annoying but otherwise doesn't fuck shit up.
> I found it to be all jittery and generally awful, and it slowed down to about 50% speed when running in fullscreen,
Sounds like a personal problem. SoTN has run perfectly fine in epsxe for years, fullscreen no slowdown. The sound even works fine which I will admit is a problem in some games though the latest 1.80 has a new sound core which is better. Can't say for sure if all games work well with it. Though no other plugin based emulator is different in which case you have to deal with the ones that emphasize accuracy and in this case I've had friends test shit etc... same shit, unstable. Also shitty as fuck interface as well. Not that epsxe is glorious in that realm but it's at least significantly better.

>> No.561308

>>561281
>It's more the simple fact that ZSNES hasn't been updated since 2007
That's a nonsensical argument.
The frequency of which something is updated should make no difference at all if it works perfectly fine. It's completely irrelevant to your actual problem. Because the only reason updating would even be worth considering is if it updated something you don't like or has an issue. Assuming you had that problem the frequency of their updates even if they updated every single fucking day, would not guarantee that they ever fixed whatever is you find fault in.
ZSNES is shit though. Also, so is bsnes/higan (though accurate)

>> No.561317

>>561296
>Sounds like a personal problem. SoTN has run perfectly fine in epsxe for years, fullscreen no slowdown
Could be, or perhaps you've never played SOTN on anything else and somehow don't notice the jitter. Either way, I tried several different GPU and SPU plugins and all the combinations of settings I could think of trying in all of them, and after several hours of experimentation, I was unable to get it to run in a satisfactory manner. This was in version 1.8.0.
In contrast, it took me all of a few minutes to get PCSX-R to run perfectly fine a few weeks back.

Their interfaces look almost identical as far as I can tell, so I can't really see how that's an argument for using ePSXe, and in any case the interface is something you'll hardly ever even see once you're in-game, so it doesn't matter much as long as it isn't so awful that it makes it impossible to get it configured and started.

>> No.561327

I used Snesx9 at first, hated the stretched out look to it, tried ZSNES and liked it better.
Why shouldn't I use ZSNES?

>> No.561332

What is Dreamcast emulation like? I'm debating whether to buy a DC or not.

>> No.561337

>>561308
>if it works perfectly fine
Except it doesn't. Net play is broken and has been for ages. Super Mario RPG has severe freezing issues in certain spots that force you to reload your save in an older version in order to bypass them. Some other games (there's a list on some wiki that has been posted in the past) using special chips are also severely broken or unplayable due to inaccuracy or brokenness in its chip emulation.
This will NEVER be fixed, because the devs are not doing any development, and in all probability never will. If you want to keep using a permanently broken emulator, knock yourself out - it won't inconvenience anyone but yourself - but don't mislead others into doing the same.

>Because the only reason updating would even be worth considering is if it updated something you don't like or has an issue
... and it has plenty of issues.

>even if they updated every single fucking day, would not guarantee that they ever fixed whatever is you find fault in.
True, but at least there's a chance it would eventually get fixed. With an emulator that is NEVER updated, and most likely NEVER will be again, there is NO chance of it EVER being fixed. It's permanently stuck in a state of perpetual brokenness.

>ZSNES is shit though
Right, so why are you arguing?

>Also, so is bsnes/higan (though accurate)
In what way?
The only issue I see with it is its stupid import requirement, and using its core through RetroArch bypasses that.

>> No.561339

>>561327
>hated the stretched out look to it
In other words, you couldn't be bothered to take 30 seconds to properly configure its video settings?

>> No.561364

>>561339
What video settings?

>> No.561378

>>561364
>hur dur I have no idea what aspect ratio is

>> No.561385

>>561364
My guess is since you're talking about a stretched out image, you've got the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" setting turned off, which means it'll just stretch across the entire screen and look like shit. Turn it on, and it will look pretty much like in every other emulator.

>> No.561446

>>557284
>ZSNES
>not bSNES
derp

>> No.561463
File: 32 KB, 307x313, 1335463640989.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>561446
>using bsnes

>> No.561469

>>561463
>Not using bsnes through retroarch
>the year of our lord and saviour two thousand and thirteen
>laughingelfman.gif

>> No.561471

>>561090

You can stick with ME, while old it is a pretty solid emulator.

>> No.561474

>>561385
then why use Snesx9 when it just looks like every other emulator?

>> No.561496

>>561332
consoles are cheap. games aren't

>> No.561498

>>561496
The games are also ridiculously easy to pirate. You can throw 'em on an SD card now, actually. The adaptors are dirt cheap, and the boot disc is simple enough to find and burn.

>> No.561509

>>561181
>What are the best emulators for each console?
>Super Nintendo (Super Famicom): ZSNES
>Urg. So many ZSNES users. Even Snes9x is better...
>Does it somehow personally insult you

The thread's topic was which is the best. I'm not insulted but saddened that everyone thinks ZSNES is the best. It shows me that they don't take much time to investigate the options.

>> No.561515

>>561141
please elaborate

>> No.561538

to everyone getting pissed off at JUST ZSNES, take a good look at the list, I think this list was copy and pasted from ages ago, there are a lot of defuncted or emulators that have had their named changed a long time ago on this list, you are all being trolled

>> No.561554

>>561498
the systems the adaptors run off of are not compatable with many games actually, I wish you people would stop pushing the SD card thing just because of something you saw here that didn't have much info it's self, it's not an end all solutiion... in fact it isn't even a very good solution at this point.

>> No.561569

>>561296

I'll share my experience with playstation emulators. I have found some things that work fine on epsxe over pcsx-r and the other way around with the exact same plugin config, and some things those two couldn't handle right did work with the old psxeven.

pSX being free of plugin messing was a godsend back then but unfortunately the author abandoned the project and some games remain with incompatibilities (if you don't happen to play one of those games it is a very nice emulator). Then I found about Xebra and while the menu options are unintuitive I read how to set it up on some forum and hadn't switched back, while I miss having upscaled visuals on the 3d games I'm happy that it works without issues on all games I throw at it, I'm not talking about accuracy, I have been emulating things long before it became a popular topic, just about things getting to work with little intervention from the user side. From what I have experienced sound seems to be critical point in PS emulation as some of the bitchiest games to run are so because of sound issues. I have heard good things about Mednafen in this regard but I haven't tried myself.

Those were my two cents, just use what you like and what you are comfortable with. For the record last time I emulated SOTN was on the connectix emulator like 10 years ago on a 400 mhz machine, it worked without issues, didn't know people had trouble with it on these days.

>> No.561572

>>559360
I'm pretty sure he meant that there are no N64 emulators that do it competently, not that there were literally none

>> No.561582

>>561131
how on earth do you get a Magic Engine to read a cd image without burning it? I could never figure that shit out

also, you should try the balanced version of higan/bsnes, and no I'm not an accuracy fag, it really does look and run better

>> No.561586

>>561090
Maybe you're missing the PCE bios?
It needs to be called SYSCARD3.PCE and placed in the ROM directory.
That, or the ISO you're trying to use is an unsupported format. It supports ISO, CUE/BIN and CCD I believe. MDS/MDF does not work.

>> No.561587

>>561538
>Listing ZSNES is just trolling
I think there are legitimately a lot of idiots who think it's the best. I don't even care if they want to use it despite knowing that it's an inferior product. I get the fact that people use what they're familiar and comfortable with. But listing it in a thread for best emulators? I mean come on. I don't think it's just trolls.

>> No.561591

>>561469
I'm kinda annoyed that the retroarch version seemingly doesn't support zipped roms, I really don't want to go to the trouble of unzipping the hundreds of roms I have, and having it take up even more space, since I would like to leave the original files where they are in order to continue to torrent them...

>> No.561592

>>561587
did you even read my post at all?

>> No.561601

>>561586
no, I have the PCE bios
and you are moron, I hate people like you that jump to the conclusion that everyone that can't get something to run right is a complete idiot and talks down to them.

>> No.561605

>>561474
I don't. I use RetroArch w/bsnes-accurate core, and before that Higan/bsnes. Only reason to use Snes9x over them is if you're using an old computer.
However, even Snes9x is far superior to ZSNES.

I actually downloaded ZSNES again just now to test it out on a modern system for the lulz. The first thing I found is that it doesn't even list any widescreen resolutions at all, and it _WILL_ not run on fullscreen at all. If I try to fullscreen it, it just goes black, and alt-tabbing out reveals a DirectDraw 7 error message. I eventually gave up bothering, and am now Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts in it in windowed mode just to see if there's any noticeable difference. At stage 4, and so far I haven't noticed anything major. Maybe slightly different spawn rates, but nothing specific I can put my finger on.

>> No.561609

>>561591

>trouble of unzipping the hundreds of roms I have
>select all
>right click>7-zip>Extract here

That sure was difficult...

>> No.561610

>>561592
Yeah but the thing is that OP's list might be copypasta, but these posts aren't:
>>557414
>>558898
>>561308
>>561327

Maybe they're all just trolls, but like I said I think there's a good chance they're just idiots.

>> No.561612

>>561582
Emulate it in a virtual drive, such as Alcohol 52% or 120% or Daemon-Tools.

>> No.561615

>>561610
I wasn't addressing any of those posts though in any way shape or form, I was addressing the people that just see the OP post, see ZSNES without taking the time to think over the rest of the list, and then get angry, there are many posts like that in this thread, what the hell is wrong with you?

>> No.561623

>>561615
>>561610
and I will add to that that my point was that it was ridiculous for them to freak out over just over the ZNES part when the entire list was out dated, I'm not sure how that's hard to get.

>> No.561630

>>561612
>implying I haven't tried that
like I said, stop assuming that everyone is a moron

>> No.561640

>>561630
Sorry for trying to help. That worked for me at least. If it doesn't for you, I don't know what the problem is.

>> No.561646

>>561605
Oh, just noticed another thing when I tried to continue playing after posting the above. Everytime my controller switches off due to inactivity, ZSNES needs a restart for it to work again. That hasn't been a problem in ANY other emulator I've used since I started using my controller via Bluetooth. (4-5 months or so)

>> No.561660

>>561623
It's not hard to get. I'm just saying that I don't think that all the arguing against ZSNES in this thread is a result of trolling. Anons other than the OP are saying that ZSNES is the best and I don't think they're trolling. Yet other anons are reacting negatively to that. You can't just tell people to stop reacting negatively because the OP's post is trolling (if it even is). And sure the other emulators in OP's post may be crap too, but who emulates anything other than NES and SNES anyway?

>> No.561669

>>561605
>The first thing I found is that it doesn't even list any widescreen resolutions at all, and it _WILL_ not run on fullscreen at all. If I try to fullscreen it, it just goes black, and alt-tabbing out reveals a DirectDraw 7 error message.
this sounds like it has something to do with your system or you aren't using the last version, ZSNES may be complete crap now but fullscreen worked fine for me last time I used it and I could never get it to work correctly at all in snes9x

>> No.561679

>>561669
Could be, but the fact is every other game and emulator runs fine in fullscreen. My guess is it has something to do with it being coded for ancient systems and it just doesn't work right on modern systems. Could be a compatibility issue with Windows 8 or GeForce 600-series drivers I guess.
Regardless, it's an area where it fails compared to all the others.

>> No.561682

>>561660
my point is that your issue has very little to do with the point I was making, please stop

>> No.561684

>>561679
Oh, and I'm using 1.51 (win) from the official site.

>> No.561687

>>561679
>using windows 8
lol
it's probably not compatibility with win 8, since it's just win 7 with a shitty new GUI slapped over it

>> No.561693

>>561660
>all the arguing against ZSNES in this thread is a result of trolling
It's not. I don't care if people use ZSNES themselves, but I do care when people are spreading the misinformation that ZSNES is good or just shitposting about everyone claiming ZSNES is shit being autistic.

>> No.561696

>>561687
>not using windows 8
Enjoy your outdated pleb OS.

>> No.561709

>>561696
Yes, good goy, use our superior up-to-date OS

>> No.561720

>>561682
bro... let's review the core of your post
>to everyone getting pissed off at JUST ZSNES ... you are all being trolled
That's just not true. Although your extreme butthurt does seem to be a little trollish actually. Who cares this much about whether people attack ZSNES? You didn't create it did you? If you don't like people slamming your favorite emulator then just fuck off. Simple as that.

>> No.561725

>>561693
Wow that's a misquote.
>I'm just saying that I don't think that all the arguing against ZSNES in this thread is a result of trolling.
Key word: "DON'T"

>> No.561727

>>561709
Just to clarify, I was being facetious. There isn't really much difference between 7 and 8 functionally, so in practice it makes little difference. My point is that most people complaining about 8 sucking are just afraid of change, and probably haven't even tried it much.

>> No.561734

>>561587
Well, this is a thread of Best emulators according to people, it's not a consensus, it's just OP and some other people opinion.

>> No.561738
File: 84 KB, 299x288, cheat me.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>561474
>then why use Snesx9 when it just looks like every other emulator?

>> No.561739

>>561696
Good Goyim.

>> No.561742

>>561605
>Only reason to use Snes9x over them is if you're using an old computer.
No.

>The first thing I found is that it doesn't even list any widescreen resolutions at all, and it _WILL_ not run on fullscreen at all. If I try to fullscreen it, it just goes black, and alt-tabbing out reveals a DirectDraw 7 error message.
ZSNES can be wonky, but it does do fullscreen. Not very good fullscreen it fucks up the scaling anyway. But it does do it. Sound is also horrid as fuck.

>> No.561748

>>561281
>most notably bsnes/Higan, which has been written from scratch in less time than has passed since ZSNES's last release.
So fucking what?
Do you know anything about programming?
ZSNES took longer because it was written and maintained in ASM and BSNES was written in C++, that's why byuu developed it faster.

>> No.561750

>>561742
>Not very good fullscreen it fucks up the scaling anyway. But it does do it
It does, when it works. Clearly it doesn't on all modern systems.

>> No.561758

>>561748
u sayin byuu ISN'T a genius? gtfo

>> No.561761

>>561734
If you're looking for the 'best' emulator. Then peoples opinions don't really matter. Best emulator is a factual and objective thing.
Kind of like if we we're looking for the 'best' tire, anyone listing that they prefer using a mostly square tire and therefore it is the best because they like the way it bumps up and down, is not only retarded, but will lose that argument because it's a shitty tire. Mostly round tires are used for a fucking reason.

>> No.561765

>>561748
>Do you know anything about programming?
>ZSNES took longer because it was written and maintained in ASM and BSNES was written in C++, that's why byuu developed it faster.
... and?
My point is that a far superior and actually accurate emulator has been written in less time than it has taken the ZSNES devs to do nothing but occasionally talk about things they may or may not do in an eventual ZSNES 2.x while actually doing nothing. What reason is there to use an outdated emulator when better and up-to-date ones exist?
Even if ZSNES 2.0 ever came out, what reason would there be to switch? Do you think they'd manage to make it more accurate than byuu? I don't.

>> No.561768

>>561758
quit sucking that autist's dick, he's a devoted patron of SNES emulation, but genius is going a bit far.

>> No.561769

>>561750
>Clearly it doesn't on all modern systems.
On any properly maintained OS, it does.

>> No.561773

>>561761
This. GUI preferences may be subject to opinion, but emulation quality really isn't. Whichever emulator is the most like the actual hardware is objectively the best.

>> No.561778

>>561768
if it wasnt for byuu then wed all still be using zsnes. ur just hatin cuz of jelly

>> No.561781

>>561765
>ZSNES took longer because it was written and maintained in ASM and BSNES was written in C++, that's why byuu developed it faster.
That's probably not why.

It probably has a shit ton more with, whom is working and how they budget their time on hobbies.

>> No.561784

>>561758
He isn't.
If he was, he would write his emulator on ASM and do more with less.
>>561765
Writing emulators in high level languages generally are resource wasting.

>> No.561785

>>561773
But that would be BSNES. That's what I've been saying this whole time.

>> No.561786

>>561773

The best emulator for a system is the most accurate one that will run full speed on it.

On an Android smartphone, that would probably be RetroArch with SNES9x-Next or SNES9x-EX+

>> No.561794

>>561784

ASM is not portable, it would be dumb and stupid to limit yourself to one platform. That's why people use C/C++ for emulators, they can be easily cross-compiled for different architectures.

>> No.561795

>>561778
No, we'd be split between ZSNES and SNES9x, SNES9x being a perfectly good emulator without any autism regarding accuracy.

>> No.561796

>>561784
ok nobody has asm installed on their computer so whats the point it would have to be converted to exe file anyway. who cared what language it is written in. c++ is fine. its a pro language. loads of stuff is written in c++

>> No.561798

>>561727
it's not that I'm afraid of change, the entire interface is optimized for touch screens and I don't have a touch screen monitor and don't plan on getting one unless the price suddenly drops dramatically, unless something has changed since open betas I see no use in using it, it doesn't add much usability for non-touch screen users

>> No.561804

>>561795
snes9x is ok. but bsnes is better because byuu actually cares enough to get it right. these other guys like the zsnes people have exceptions and workarounds for every game because they are just shitting themself to get it out the door so they win cred with fans. byuu actually cares about the scene. he IS a genius.

>> No.561806

>>561795
I wouldn't even touch zsnes if snes9x's netplay wasn't such a desyncing piece of shit.

Why do the good emulator developers hate netplay so much?

>> No.561807

>>561796
>Who cares what language it is written in?
ASM restricts you to architectures that support x86, no ARM, which means no porting to Android or various other platforms, which means fail.

>> No.561808

>>561796
>nobody has asm installed
>c++ is fine
>pro language
You don't have a clue right, do you?

>> No.561810

>>561806

Because Netplay is non-trivial to implement.

ZSNES doesn't have netplay anymore either.

>> No.561814
File: 45 KB, 250x312, 1325964283644.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>561804
>he IS a genius

>some autist with a shitty emulator that needs a 4ghz machine to emulate a 21mhz machine
>genius

>> No.561819

>>561795
why do some of you people think that higan/bsnes is simply autism in emulator form... moving past the fact that that's a stupid insult in the first place, it actually does look better and run games more stably than other emulators I have used. and that is the ONLY reason I use it, I could care less if it's such and such cycle more accurate than such and such emulator

>> No.561821

>>561810
The netplay in zsnes 1.36 works just fine.

>> No.561824

>>561773
Well, no. And yes.
Having cycle accurate emulation but an emulator that say... crashes a lot would make it a worse emulator than one that isn't cycle accurate but doesn't crash.
Or one that's cycle accurate, but it doesn't output video properly. Or if it didn't support many of the options otherwise available.
GUI preference is not distinctly emulator options and being accurate at emulating the hardware does mean it's a good emulator.
Let's switch the tires to engines since that works nice and all. Let's assume everyone built an engine from scratch to try to be like another engine. If you replicate that engine perfectly then put it in a fucking wood boxcar some kid made, it's not going to a be very good car, it'll be shit to drive and probably break down. You'd want it in a decent car wouldn't you? When you have two cars that are decent then the options of the car come into play and so does whichever one has the best engine. Likewise, if you had a perfect engine and the cars were the same but you shit all over the tires, your engine is fairly fucking useless in that car.

>> No.561827

>>561806
It's a bitch to implement and is secondary to the demand for everything else that comes with developing an emulator.

>> No.561832

>>561814
>anime pic
>hyperbole

2/10 bait

>> No.561838

>>561821
1.42n is the best one to use.

>> No.561839

>>561819
>I could care less if it's such and such cycle more accurate than such and such emulator
OK, but all other considerations aside, if you could choose between two essentially identical emulators with the only difference being that one was cycle accurate, wouldn't you go for the cycle accurate one? Closer (more accurate) emulation is always the highest ideal. If it produces more problems than it solves then never mind, but as long as there are no major downsides, I'd rather get the closest emulator I could possibly get.

>> No.561841

>>561824
>crashes a lot would make it a worse emulator than one that isn't cycle accurate but doesn't crash.
That would be true, but crashes have never been an issue in bsnes/Higan, so that's a completely irrelevant point in this case.

>> No.561849

>>561806
>I wouldn't even touch zsnes if snes9x's netplay wasn't such a desyncing piece of shit.
Zsnes desynchs for days as well.

>> No.561850

>>561821
>>561838
If you have to use even older versions of an emulator whose newest release is already half a decade outdated, you know it's REALLY bad.

>> No.561851

>>561784
What this >>561794 said. Byuu cares much about portability. If you think you can waste less resources rewriting all the source code into x86 asm (x64 doesn't deserve it), all of the code is available to you.

Try and see if you can optimize stuff too. Byuu says optimization could take you a long way of adding performance, but according to him, accuracy and optimization are inversely proportional. If you add one you take from the other. I don't know much about programming and emulation too see if he's 100% right, but he knows his stuff.

>> No.561857

>>561839
wait... what... you just completely switched the sides of your arguement, please stop

>> No.561861

>>561852
Not him, but now you're just trolling. If you can run either of the 3 emulators perfectly fine on your hardware, what reason is there to pick anything but the most accurate one?

>> No.561864

>>561332
>>561496
>>561498
>>561554

If you get an early enough model you can just burn the game onto a CD (though not all games fit on a single CD). I haven't ever burned a game that ran incorrectly or poorly for mine.

polite sage for technically off topic

>> No.561867

>>561850
Can you really say that when there's no better alternatives? I've been waiting for something to surpass ZSNES's netplay since forever.

>> No.561873

>>561851
Nice lazy excuses he gave to everyone.

>> No.561876

>>561857
No I'm a different person you fool. I'm saying that the look and stability of bsnes shouldn't be the ONLY reason you use it. Those should probably be the PRIMARY reasons, but close emulation is and always will be the highest ideal. It's not just an autism. It's the ideal.

>> No.561882

>>561864
but you have to cut quite a bit out of a lot of games to get them to fit on a CD, don't you? at least that's what I see people on this board saying and the only reason I threw out my idea of buying a dreamcast

>> No.561886

How come there's always arguments over SNES emulators, where the choices are clear cut as SNES9x for performance and bSNES for accuracy, and never any arguments over NES emulators, where there's like 5 different major ones with varying levels of accuracy and features and many many lesser known ones?

>> No.561887

>>561876
why do you think that everyone should have the same ideals? are you a christian as well?

>> No.561890

>>561867
I've never used netplay, so I wouldn't know about that. If there really is no better alternative for netplay, then those cases where you need netplay would be a legitimate reason to use it, but it still doesn't justify using it for anything other than what you have to use it for, and it certainly does not justify making false claims that it is better than or equally good as the superior alternatives. (not necessarily saying you did, just pointing it out to whatever "defenders" are here)

RetroArch appears to have a netplay feature as well, however I've never tried it so I have no idea whether it works with SNES cores, or even works at all. Might be worth a try though.

>> No.561891

>>561886
because NES emulation hasn't been popular in ages and it's been stalled since like 2007

>> No.561892

>>561886
because on SNES you have the byuu fanboys over anything that isn't bsnes on others, well, people just use what they like

>> No.561908

>>561850
ZSNES is so awesome that even older versions are already perfect and there was absolutely no need to update it for the sake of updating. Still using the same 1.36 I downloaded over ten years ago, never had problems, deal w/ it, autist!

>> No.561905

>>561886
Because there are ZSNES defending trolls around.
I guess none of the shitty NES emulators (I can't point out any name, as I don't know which one is the shittiest) have as many devoted whiteknight drones as ZSNES does, so it's not an issue.

>> No.561912

>>561905
well that and saying that ZSNES is great would be like clinging to nesticle or something... which no one would EVER do

>> No.561915

>>561891

There's been work done on NES emulators like Nintendulator, puNES, and FCEUX since then. And Nestopia has been picked up by a new developer, who helped port it to RetroArch.

>> No.561916

>>561905
>Because there are Bsnes defending trolls around.
FTFY

>> No.561919

>>561908
Why people that like ZSNES HAD to be trolls? You byuu's fans are the ones who start the "trolling" all the time

>> No.561920

>>561887
Because unlike Christianity, they make common sense in this case. Think about it. If there are only two options:
1-An emulator that looks good, runs well, and is 100% accurate
and
2-An emulator that looks good, runs well, and is 85% accurate
then what kind of retard would want the 85% accurate one? Close emulation is obviously the ideal here. Not really comparable to a religion at all.

>> No.561923

>>561919
meant to quote >>561905

>> No.561925

ITT: You can't like what i dislike

>> No.561930

>>561886
The only issue I ever came up with during NES emulation was being forced to switch from nestopia to fceux to play a mega man rom hack.

What is the best NES emulator, anyway?

>> No.561931

>>561912
Right, Nesticle... I remember seeing that in like... 1999 or something? Is that still around?

>> No.561932

>>561891

Okay, how about Genesis emulators where there's Gens/GS, Kega Fusion, Genesis Plus (GX), and soon Exodus?

>> No.561935

>>561915
I knew about FCEUX but not the others, did this all happen rather recently?

>> No.561938

>>561915
I used FCEUX before, and am currently using RetroArch with the Nestopia core. I'd probably use puNES (it's supposed to be the most accurate) if it didn't have severe input issues and ignored button presses all the time.

>> No.561939

>>561920
More like
1- An emulator that looks good, runs well, 100% accurate and Resource waster.
2- An emulator that looks good, runs well, 85% accurate and not Resource waster.

>> No.561940

>>561931
not at all, but technically ZSNES isn't "around" anymore either, there hasn't been any development on it in years

>> No.561941

>>561912
bbbut... I still use Nesticle. What;s wrong with it?

>> No.561946

>>561905
>>561892

There's trolls on both sides and lots of reverse trolling as well.

>> No.561948

>>561916
ZSNES drone detected.

>> No.561956

>>561939
>runs well = Resource waster.
Lolololo. Strawman is strawman, Try harder bro. We were discussing cycle accuracy in isolation from all other aspects. This isn't a comparison of bsnes with zsnes or snes9x if that's what you're here for.

>> No.561957

>>561919
>Why people that like ZSNES HAD to be trolls?
They don't, but anyone claiming ZSNES is better than the more up to date alternatives - whether it be Snes9x or bsnes - are either trolls or painfully ignorant/misguided.

>> No.561958

>>561941
YOU HAVE TO ALWAYS USE THE LASTEST NEWEST BLOATEST PROGRAMS NOT OLDER THAN TWO WEEKS, ANYTHING OLDER THAN THAT IS AUTOMATICALLY USELESS SHIT

>> No.561961

>>561939

That depends on how valuable resources are to you.
On a modern gaming PC, you have abundant resources and you definitely afford the more accurate alternative.
On an Android smartphones, resources are much more limited so you would use the less accurate but better performing alternative.

>> No.561962
File: 98 KB, 1031x717, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>561784
>Writing emulators in high level languages generally are resource wasting.
Writing in ASM is more resource wasting if you suck at it.
If you're writing ASM innefficiently vs good compiler optimizations. Then it won't be faster.
Likewise, you can split up the parts and do assembly alongside your high level language for optimization. Optimizations also depend on what you're doing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl%27s_Law

>> No.561963

>>561940
Good point. I guess you could say ZSNES is the SNES equivalent of Nesticle and Genecyst.

>> No.561965

>>561958
>>561941
horrible trolling is horrible

>> No.561969

>>561935

Yes

>> No.561970

>>561957
What if the person just LIKE and think it's better for HIM?

>> No.561974

>>561965
Nesticle user here. I seriously am not trolling. I haven't really kept up with NES emulation. What's the industry standard now?

>> No.561975

>>561956
No, you retards are discussing accuracy.
My only reason to not using bsnes is because it is resource waster, if i want to run on Raspberry pi i can't because it needs a Two cores and shit to run well, if i want to run on android, i can't because the same reason.

>> No.561980

>>561962
Well, it's byuu, he sucks at anything.

>> No.561982

>>561932
Kega was the first accuracy striving emulator for the Genesis, it could do (and couldn't do) stuff the original console did/didn't but the other emulators didn't/did. But now, in 2013, Gens seems to have waken up, about fucking time. But Kega is alright and strongly recommended if you don't care about fancy filters.

>> No.561985

>>561970
Then they're free to use it, as long as they don't come here vehemently claiming that it's better than Snes9x or bsnes.

If their stance is "I know it's shit, but I prefer to use it anyway", then fine. Use it all you like, but don't claim it's good.

>> No.561996

>>561975
>if i want to run on Raspberry pi
THen you'd be using a version for Raspberry Pi. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to run ZSNES on it. You'd probably end up using some port of Snes9x, which is still far superior to ZSNES.

>> No.561997

>>561975
then don't use it if it doesn't suit your needs, simple as that, yelling at people who prefer it and it does suit their needs is pointless, also there is the performance version, which is much less resource intensive

>> No.562001

>>561975
And that's exactly why I said that look, stability, etc. should be the PRIMARY reason you use it (or use any emulator), But close emulation is and always will be the highest ideal. So if all things are equal, close emulation should be an important consideration. The look, stability, etc. shouldn't be your ONLY reason for using bsnes as you suggested earlier.

>> No.562002

>>561930

Nestopia overall

There's more accurate emulators than it but Nestopia has the most mapper support of any emulator currently.

>> No.562003

>>561980
You must be a faggot. Byuu is god tier among real gamers.

>> No.562004

>>561980

hi mudlord

>> No.562006

>>561974
so you haven't been keeping up with NES emulation since the late 90s? yeah... sure... totally not trolling

>> No.562008

>>562004
Isn't mudlord a fan of byuu?
Why would he claim byuu sucks?

>> No.562012

>>561985
Neither are acceptable here on /vr/.
You use bsnes, it's okay, if you say you like ZSNES and use it people will call you retard and shit.
Why?
Because people here can't accept people's opinions.

>> No.562024

>>562006
Not him, but I don't see that being so unlikely. Personally, I never used any NES emulators between the early 2000s and 2012. When I decided to look for one, I came up with FCEUX, because I had used a version of FCE Ultra before, and FCEUX seemed to be decent.
I switched to RetroArch w/Nestopia because that's supposed to be more accurate.

>> No.562025

>>562006
OK some of use went to college and stopped retro gaming for quite a while. Can you please tell me which is the current best NES emulator you asshat?

>> No.562026

>>562008
>Isn't mudlord a fan of byuu?

no, or, maybe, yes in a tsundere way, no one knows for sure

Every other post he makes is some kind of insult toward byuu or bsnes.

>> No.562027

Can somebody help me set up Retroarch?
I never used it.

>> No.562030

>>562012
no, because it's an outdated emulator and not even made with modern hardware in mind, maybe some of the people that prefer it have out dated hardware, but most of the time it's just people mindlessly clinging to it because that's what they are used to, it would do them good to switch to something more modern

>> No.562032

Reasons why everyone with a brain loves ZSNES:

- practically uses zero resources
- awesome intuitive UI and options
- runs every ROM format unlike autismgan
- even if it's not accurate you can't tell because the deviation is so insignificant

>> No.562034

>>562012
>Because people here can't accept people's opinions.
That's retarded. I accept good opinions just not shitty ones like that ZSNES is the best SNES emu out there. It's not. bsnes is.

>> No.562037

>>562024
what's wrong with FCEUX exactly?

>> No.562039

>>562030
Again, you retards aren't accepting other's opinions.
I'm not even saying ZSNES is better or something.

>> No.562042

>>562037
Exceptions have to be written for every ROM.

>> No.562046

>>562012
ZSNES being shit isn't an opinion, it's objective fact. People can use it all they want, but if they go spreading false claims that it's good, people will be compelled to correct them.
It's almost like if someone want to an IT forum and started going on about how they're still using Windows 98 and how it's really awesome and better than Windows XP and 7. I can guarantee you everyone who knew better would either immediately discard it as trolling, and/or correct them on their idiotic claims.

>> No.562048

>>562034
I never said ZSNES is the best emulator.
I only said that i like it and shit.

>> No.562051

>>562037
I never had any issues with it, I just heard Nestopia was more accurate, and RetroArch w/Nestopia core runs just as well as FCEUX, so why not use it instead?

>> No.562052

>>562048
That's cool then. If you like it better even though you know it's not as perfect as some of the others then that's your own deal.

>> No.562053

>>562046
See >>562048
I said that if i say that i like ZSNES(Not saying it's the best or anything), you retards go full apeshit insane.

>> No.562063

>>562027

Open retroarch-phoenix.exe
Go to tab RetroArch>Update RetroArch and download desired emulator cores
Set libretro core path to you desired emulator core
Set Normal Rom path to your desired rom
Start RetroArch

>> No.562067

>>562053
That's because saying you like something without pointing out your knowledge that it's objectively shit despite you liking it pretty much implies that you think it's good.

>> No.562076

>>562067
Also, actually claiming to like ZSNES pretty much implies that you've never tried any other modern SNES emulator.

>> No.562080

>>562051
oh ok, the way your post was written and the argument going on here I thought you being like the bsnes/higgan trolls and were basically saying "I used FCEUX because I was used to FCEU but then I realized what a disgusting fool I was and switched to the more superior RetroArch w/Nestopia"

>> No.562087

>>562080
I think with the possible exception of Nesticle (which I haven't ever used myself, I only remember seeing it around over a decade ago) there aren't really any current NES emulators that are bad or outdated enough to be comparable with ZSNES.

>> No.562089

>>562067
>>562076
Again, no one accepting people's opinion.
I like ZSNES because it's fast and shit, and i told this in this thread.
Are you happy?

>> No.562093

>>562063
I really wish you could set emulator cores and rom paths per-system rather than having to manually change them each time you wanted to play a game for a different system

>> No.562098

>>561851
Proper optimization doesn't do shit to accuracy. Assuming you've maximized optimization within the bounds of necessary optimization.
Properly optimized code should produce the same output with the same input, in less time. That's all.
If you optimize 'results' that skip the hardware level emulation for your speed improvement then you could potentially run into an inversely proportional accuracy issue.
That's the point of optimization, to improve speed for the same functionality.

>> No.562104

>>562087
umm... I was basically apologizing for assuming things... I'm not sure how you got that out of my post...

>> No.562105

>>562089
Yes, as long as you don't claim it's better than Snes9x or Higan/bsnes I have no problem with it.
You have been informed of the superior alternatives and made the choice of using the inferior alternative. That's your business, and affects noone but you, so I don't have a problem with it.

>> No.562106
File: 41 KB, 750x588, 1366884227290.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>562032
>- practically uses zero resources
Because it's written in x86 ASM, because it was written for 90s computers, because it takes shortcuts in its emulation that don't effect the top 20 popular games and uses per-game-compatiblity hacks when it does.

>- awesome intuitive UI and options
No, just no. It's archaic as fuck and most of the options really aren't useful.

>- runs every ROM format unlike autismgan
Aside from the fact higan now accepts loading headered .smc's through "import game", most of the ROM formats except .smc and .sfc are utterly useless today. Pic related

>- even if it's not accurate you can't tell because the deviation is so insignificant
Only if you've never used a real SNES and only play the top 20 most popular games. There's plenty of well-documented bugs with ZSNES too. https://zsnes.bountysource.com/development/bug_report

Looks like you didn't use your brain too well, because SNES9x is better than ZSNES in those cases.

>> No.562112

>>562093

Separate config files let you do that.
Just make a config for each system, then load that config then the rom your using.

>> No.562116

>>562104
I understand what you said - you just thought I was trolling when I was not. What do you think I got out of it?
I was just pointing out the fact that there isn't really any relevant NES equivalent of ZSNES.

>> No.562119

>>561982
>But Kega is alright and strongly recommended if you don't care about fancy filters.
I do. Gens does those fancy filters the way I need them. What it doesn't do is have similar palette brightness of a TV. Their way around is to suggest using a TV. Welp...

>> No.562132

>>562119

RetroArch with Genesis Plus GX has more fancy filters thanks to shaders than any other emulator in existence.

>> No.562136

NES: Nestopia
SNES: ZSNES
Mega Drive/Master System: Kega Fusion
Playstation: PCSXR
Neo Geo: Final Burn Alpha

>> No.562137

>>562093
Yeah, RetroArch really needs to get a decent GUI frontend. I'm currently using XBMC with Advanced Launcher to run it, specifying separate configs for each system on the commandline to it.

>> No.562140

>>562032
Everything but the rom format is completely untrue.
Less resources is not practically zero.
The UI is fucking terrible and impractical and slower. There are a couple of decent options though that better emulators don't have the same way like macros.
The accuracy difference is significant especially for audio which affects every game. The video output is terrible as well.

>> No.562145

>>562112
that's still more work than it should be, having it all completely automated would be more ideal

>> No.562154

>>562032
>awesome intuitive UI and options
But the UI is utter garbage. It looks like some homemade DOS thing from the 90s... I guess because that's exactly what it is.
The mouse cursor moves way too fast, and as far as configuration is concerned, it's actually more troublesome to set up than Snes9x and Higan, and has generally worse and less intuitive UIs.

>> No.562156

>>562137

The Phoenix frontend is intended to be minimal and easily replacable. Nobody's stopping anyone from making their own better frontend in Qt,Gtk,Aero,wxwidgets except for the fact that UI code is a major pain in the ass to write and maintain.

>> No.562158

Oh boy, another rousing rendition of ZSNES vs all other SNES emulators. Can we talk about something else?

>> No.562169

>>562156
Yeah, I know. I was just saying that it really NEEDS such a GUI to make it more attractive to the average user. As it is now, it's kind of a pain in the ass to use unless you set up something like XBMC - which takes quite a bit of effort in itself, and is way overkill for anyone just wanting to use the emulator quickly and easily.

>> No.562187

>>557284
Atari 2600: Stella is actually the only one, isn't it?
TurboGrafx16: Ootake
SEGA before Saturn: Kega Fusion, until 32X is supported in Genesis Plus GX
Super Nintendo (Super Famicom): Not even touching that on /vr/SNES9x
GBC: Gambatte, bgb if I want boarders
GBA: VBA-M should be what you're using over VBA, it's basically the continuation of VBA now.

>> No.562193

>>562169

XBMC is working on RetroPlayer that uses libretro cores so that will eventually become the pretty GUI frontend for libretro

>> No.562207

>>562193
Is that a separate addon for XBMC?
If so, sounds nice.

>> No.562210

>>562187
Oh yeah, also for Android I just sideload SNES9x EX and Robert Broglia's stuff (his work is fuckwin but fuck paying for an emulator) until Retroarch can hammer out it's refresh rates correctly. his emus use the same cores as Retroarch anyway.

>> No.562217

Someone can help me?
I was trying to use Retroarch updater and i can't download the cores.
I select one and download, seems like finished try to load the core, can't find on retroarch folder.

>> No.562214

>>562136
>SNES: ZSNES
Fail. We were talking about best emulator, not worst.

>> No.562229

>>562214
Don't fuel the ZSNES drones.

>> No.562232

>>562217

Did you make .dll files visible?

>> No.562238

>>562232
Not him, but are they ever not visible?

>> No.562242

>See thread about emulators.
>See "SNES: ZSNES"
>Here we go...

Yep. Figured.
Why can't you faggots agree that all 3 (SNES9x, BSNES, ZSNES) all have their strengths and weaknesses?

I personally use SNES9x because of the on-the-fly resizing, but I used ZSNES for years. They both work perfectly for everything I've ever played. I see no drawbacks to either.

It's like watching children argue SNES vs Genesis all over again.

>> No.562249

>>562217
You can download the cores manually here if the updater doesn't work
http://themaister.net/retroarch-dl/
Be sure to download the proper build for you architechture

>> No.562254

>>562210
>his emus use the same cores as Retroarch anyway.
Except he uses FCEUX instead of Nestopia.

>>562242
Because the console wars aren't on the catalog. Just ignore it and it'll go away. If you don't, it'll turn into Genwars on /vp/.

>> No.562259

>>562232
>>562249
I already found the problem.
The cores are downloaded as .zip.
The core selector don't see .zip.

>> No.562261

>>562242

Why bother with ZSNES when SNES9x is more accurate and runs full speed even on smartphones?

>> No.562265

>>562210
Except his emulators works.
I can't get into making shit work on my Nexus 7 or my cellphone.

>> No.562269

>>562261
I know you're trying, but just hide, report, drop it and move along.

>> No.562279

>>562242
>all have their strengths and weaknesses
Because they don't.
Snes9x has the strength of being able to run on older hardware at the cost of accuracy, and bsnes has the strength of high accuracy at the cost of performance on older hardware.
ZSNES has no relevant strengths anymore unless you're trying to run it on a Pentium 200 with Windows 95.

>I used ZSNES for years
So did I. 1998-2010 or so.
And yet I had no problems seeing that ZSNES was passing its expiry date and switching to something else when the time came.

>> No.562283

>>562265
His GUI is far ahead of Retroarch too, IMO. As far as that goes alone, I never had a better one one a smartphone.

>> No.562289

>>562210

Robert Broglia's stuff uses frameskip to get around the Android refresh rate issue.

>> No.562290

For SNES I use snes9x

For N64 I use Project64

For NES I use JNes

I'm mostly using these because i've been using them for a while now. If there are better choices, then please tell me which ones and why.

>> No.562293

>>562261
Like I said, I personally don't use it anymore, but that's because SNES9x has made leaps and bounds since I last used ZSNES. Back when I used ZSNES, it was the only stable SNES emulator.

I see good things in both. I just don't understand the blind hate for people who choose to use one over the other because it works well enough for what they want.

Again, I use SNES9x because it's convenient for me, as I can resize the window for streaming or just random background shit. ZSNES has a terrible windowed mode.

>> No.562310

>>562279
I just don't understand the mob mentality of... "SWITCH FROM ZSNES TO SNES9x BECAUSE IT'S BETTER."

Let them use an inferior emulator, if they want. If it's what they're comfortable with, then don't bother trying to change their mind. Shit, I know a guy who still uses Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7, and does glorious things with it. All cause he refused to get Photoshop CS2.

>> No.562323

>>562293
>I just don't understand the blind hate for people who choose to use one over the other because it works
Personally, I had no hate for ZSNES at all until its fanboys started trolling and spreading misinformation here. I merely saw it as yet another no longer relevant emulator that was great in the past but had long since been abandoned and surpassed.

>> No.562342

Question:
There's some arcade ports to snes that has slowdowns, is there a emulator that i can play these games that had slowdowns on the original snes hardware without the slowdowns ?

>> No.562349

>>562310
>Let them use an inferior emulator, if they want. If it's what they're comfortable with, then don't bother trying to change their mind
I don't care if people want to use it. It's more a question of making sure genuinely uninformed people know that it's shit and that there are superior alternatives. The problem is that everytime someone points that out, the ZSNES drones pop out of the woodwork to defend it and claim that it isn't shit.

>> No.562351

This thread again...

http://nonmess.retrogames.com/

>> No.562356

>>562342
Why not just use the original Arcade versions?

>> No.562358

>>562290

Nestopia > FCEUX >>>>>>> JNES

Project64 is probably still the best default N64 emulator on Windows, but you will still need other emulators to patch in the gaps in its compatiblity

>> No.562360

>>561245
>autist

Nice meme words bro

>> No.562367

>>562289
My device is one of those that reports incorrectly, so it's not going to work correctly until a "hack" happens in Retroarch for it.

>> No.562382

>people hating on emulators

You all have way too much time.

>> No.562384

I know they're not flawless choices, but I currently use:

nds > desmume
wii/ngc > dolphin
nes/snes/ps1/smd/gba/gbc > mednafen
sdc > nulldc
ps2 > pcsx2
n64 > pj64

>> No.562385

>hear about how great bsnes is
>go to download it
>site is down

i think i've been rused

>> No.562396

Don't know why but retroarch doesn't work fine on android for me.
few problems:
>screen of the game appears and few seconds later stays black
>stretched touch controls

>> No.562401

>>562385
works fine brah...
http://higan.googlecode.com/files/higan_v092-32bit.7z

>> No.562403

>>562385
But the site is not down. I just tried it a few seconds ago, and it's perfectly up:
http://byuu.org/higan/

>> No.562405

>>562385

http://byuu.org/higan/
Also be sure to refer to the user guide

>> No.562441

>>561181
>Does it somehow personally insult you if some people prefer to use emulators that they have grown comfortable with over the years?

Zsnes is an objectively worse emulator, and is very out dated. You may use it if you wish, but know it has many, many problems and Snes9x should be recommended instead:
http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/ZSNES#Review

>> No.562435

>>562401
>32bit
... unless you've got a 64-bit OS, which there is about 99% chance that you do unless you're running Windows XP on a 2+ years old PC.
If you've got a 64-bit OS, you should use the 64-bit version of Higan.

>> No.562438

>>561925
Thank you. This board is turning into /v/ so quickly.

>> No.562470

What makes BSNES better than Snes9x?

>> No.562476

>>562441
>objectively worse

Reported for underage, even if I agree with your opinion.

>> No.562481

>>562470

muh accuracy

>> No.562491

>>562481
Oh. BSNES is more accurate? I was steered wrong, then. Thanks.

>> No.562497

>>562435
>unless you're running Windows XP on a 2+ years old PC.
FYI that's most of the Earth.

>> No.562504

>>562470
Accuracy. That's it. Basically, use Higan or RetroArch w/bsnes-accuracy if your system if can handle it. Otherwise, use Snes9x.

>> No.562517

>>562497
Probably, if you include the people who are not at all interested in computers and only use their PCs for reading e-mail and web browsing.
I don't think there are many of those here though.

>> No.562538

>>562229
Don't fuel the bsnes/higan drones.

>> No.562540

>>561205
>Maybe I just don't give a fuck about your accuracy autism.

"Accuracy" isn't some abstract concept. It means as close to the original hardware as possible. Meaning, it plays the games without glitches or problems or crashes.

>>561146
>Really, why are so many of you using these outdated/inaccurate piles of shit for emulation?

Well, most people just don't follow the emulation scene, so they don't know all the latest developments.

>> No.562559

>>562214
jesus christ, do you people that get instantly angry over ZSNES even read threads?

>> No.562561

>>562538
mudlord pls go

>> No.562570

>>561886
>How come there's always arguments over SNES emulators

Zsnes got really, really popular, and people are slow to move away from that.

>and never any arguments over NES emulators,

Nes emulator defenders aren't as strongly attached to particular emulators.

>> No.562578

>>561970
>What if the person just LIKE and think it's better for HIM?

Then they should say that. But zsnes is objectively inferior to other alternatives. People can like bad products, they're free to. But they're wrong.

>> No.562580

>>562559
There's a console war thread just around the corner and it's the weekend.

What do you think?

>> No.562589

>>562349
And the bsnes/higan on the other hand HAS to flame everyone that uses ZSNES because they like it

>> No.562591

I use ZSNES just to defy you retards.

>> No.562597

>>562591
REPORT AND IGNORE

>> No.562598

>>562591
I know you're probably the only person in this thread, but you're hilarious.

>> No.562594

>>562349
I've actually never seen anyone do that before today, before today all I have seen is bsnes fans attacking anyone that mentions anything other than it, well people usually say "what do you have against it" but usually the back down once it's explained, I've never seen them get this violently angry over it before, I think 90% of this thread on both sides is simply trolling

>> No.562604

>>562591

>I use inferior products just to be a rebel

How edgy.

>> No.562617
File: 92 KB, 612x519, ssf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's the best Saturn emulator? I tried SSF but it wouldn't go above 640x480 or whatever.

>>562604
>>562597
He's only doing it so he can make you guys upset and feel like a master torlxdxd. Shouldn't even bother responding to him.

>> No.562618

>>562589
Not because they like it, but because they claim (or imply) that it is as good as or better than the alternatives and that all its faults are irrelevant.
I don't care what they use, as long as they are informed if its flaws and don't spread misinformation about it.

>> No.562621
File: 55 KB, 500x500, hello-kitty-ball-gag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>562604
>trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls

>> No.562632

Does Snes9x even have an official website anymore? They have:

http://www.snes9x.com/

Which is hideous, out dated, and hasn't been updated for years. There's no clear download link and half of them don't even work.

Getting a real modern looking site for Snes9x would help SO much.

>> No.562635

I'm gonna download ALL KNOWN SNES ROMS and play through them with ZSNES just to spite you faggots

>> No.562641

>>562617
Why the fuck do you think I said to report and ignore that post?

>> No.562643

>>562617
but the "how edgy" guy was pretty much trying to make himself feel like profession trooool as well, you need to learn when not to respond yourself

>> No.562646

>>562635
Good luck. Gonna stream it?

>> No.562648

>>562632

They lost access to that site because they lost contact with the person who could access it.

>> No.562649

>>562617
>I tried SSF but it wouldn't go above 640x480 or whatever.

It is SSF. But it's closed source, sadly. Yabause is open source, and will take at least a year to catch up. Stupid Japs and their "can't let baka gaijin use my programs" mentality.
Japan produces so many cool well made emulators, but they're closed source and die as soon as the creator loses interest. The emulation scene would be so much farther ahead if there was more JP-West collaboration on emulators.
Thankfully the Ootake guy doesn't have that mindset.

>> No.562663

>>562632
>>562648
Latest download links are in the forum IIRC. Snes9x is getting kinda outdated as well, but not as bad as ZSNES yet, and it's still far superior.

>> No.562670

>>562618
>they are informed if its flaws and don't spread misinformation about it.

I uses ZSNES and I know it has flaws; I use it because I just don't give a shit. I've never had problems with it and don't see reason to get in a huff over some of the most miniscule stuff. Yeah, so Battle Blazer's title has some weird thing when the text rolls in, for like, a half-second: I don't care. So parts of Kirby's Whatever 3 isn't translucent: whatever.

The only reason for the arguing to persist is if someone is making incorrect claims -- and I've never seen someone who uses ZSNES outright claim it has no problems, ever; or that its "outdated", ever. But, what y'gonna do. People will play whatever they want; and some will feel compelled to elaborate how they have the "real" taste; and others will just be apathetic.

>> No.562671

>>562649
Yeah SSF seems good except for that resolution. I don't want to play at that resolution in a window and definitely don't want it to upscale on my 1080p monitor in fullscreen mode.

>> No.562673

>>562648
>They lost access to that site because they lost contact with the person who could access it.

How does that fucking happen? Who's paying for the bandwidth?

If it's truly can't be fixed, then MAKE A NEW SITE. Or contact the company, to contact the guy who runs it, to talk to them. Or do something to get access to it. Or even hire hackers to get access to it.

Not having a proper website is a disgrace.

>> No.562675

>>562649
>Stupid Japs and their "can't let baka gaijin use my programs" mentality.
At least Ootake's creator is a bro and a jap.

>> No.562679

>>562663
>Snes9x is getting kinda outdated as well,

It's actively developed, just that the stable version is out dated. Betas are up to date:
http://www.emucr.com/search/label/Snes9X/

>> No.562683

>>562679
Why did you feed it?

>> No.562691

>>562675

hasn't he said that he hates americans on some emulation site before?

>> No.562693

>>562670
>ZSNES outright claim it has no problems, ever; or that its "outdated"
I've seen people claim that it doesn't matter, which is just as bad. As long as people acknowledge that they're simply still using it because they're too lazy to switch and don't care about accuracy, I don't have a problem with that.

>> No.562698
File: 42 KB, 256x224, Kirby3-forest[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>562670
>So parts of Kirby's Whatever 3 isn't translucent:

I'd imagine people who wanted to play Kirby's Dreamland 3 would care. This gif cycles through how it should be portrayed (clear) and how zsnes shows it (solid).

>> No.562703

>>562691

Who cares? His program is open source and he even writes in cute broken English himself.

>> No.562704

>>562679
So they just never release stable versions anymore?
How is the state of the betas? Are they stable enough to use instead of the stable version?

>> No.562709

>>562703
but he isn't a bro if he still hates the west, which is what the post you were responding to was talking about

>> No.562710

>>562704
>So they just never release stable versions anymore?

I really don't know, you'd have to ask them. I really think they should.

>How is the state of the betas? Are they stable enough to use instead of the stable version?

I've had no problems with any of them. They're very stable.

>> No.562713

hahahaha, just look at all the people that gets mad about ZSNES, i mean, it's a fucking emulator for gods sake, if you like ZSNES use it, if you prefer accuracy (which is not relly necesary for most games) use BSNES, is that fucking hard to figure out?

>> No.562715

>>562709

I don't care about the personalities of emulator guys though. Just the results. Open source = good. Closed = bad.

>> No.562716

>>562693
>I've seen people claim that it doesn't matter, which is just as bad.

That's not even in the same category, and you know it. One says that a person is arguing that something is better when it's not, and the other is saying that they don't care for one reason or another. One is promoting false information, and the other is not. You're stretching for the sake of argument.

>> No.562720

>>562698
wasn't there a setting you could change to fix that?

>> No.562723

>>562713

4chan isn't the place for rational thought. You leave this place and never return.

>> No.562735
File: 21 KB, 256x224, 3 Ninjas Kick Back_00000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>562646
Nah, fuck that. I play for myself! Realized I had the ROMs already, too bad this piece of shit is the first. This will be FUN.

>> No.562730

>>562704
Are you seriously retarded?
SNES9x only releases stable when they're good and ready which could take upwards of a year because they're working for free, but they're still very active in development.

That's free program development and open source in general.

>> No.562740

can you assholes stop bitching about ZSNES and its undue popularity for once? we get it, there are far better emulators available and people are ignorant, but the people who constantly rehash this argument are far more irritating than those who just pick an emulator and get on with it.

>> No.562742

>>562720
>wasn't there a setting you could change to fix that?

You could just disable the layer of graphics. That's not really a "fix" though.