[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 23 KB, 267x445, 51PMPJ756QL._SY445_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5564795 No.5564795 [Reply] [Original]

Can we have a GBC appreciation thread? To me the GBC is such an obscure device. It came way too late. We were waiting for a coloured Game Boy for ages and when we finally got it, it was quickly replaced with the way more advanced Game Boy advance. So we waited for such a long time while the Game Gear and Lynx already existed (never saw a Nomad in the wild, don't even know what games it plays) and then when we got it it had a very short life span.

So what memories do you have regarding the GBC? What games do you like? Please let us not just talk about Shantee but all the other games the GBC had.
I love Stranded Kids, it's one of my all time favourites. Another game I recommend is Quest for Camelot. It's an amazing game based on the animated film by Warner Bros. nobody has ever seen. In fact I got the game and I saw the film 10 years later! The game is certainly better. It often beats me when there are amazing games based on movies / franchises where you expect a garbage game but it turns out to be amazing.

>> No.5564801

>>5564795
God I hated that transparent purple GBC.

>> No.5564871

>>5564801
Why? Did you get the puke green one? I loved it. Its a certain aestetic from a certain time period. I thought it was really cool. Also the first models where just this one, green and the normal purple one which is pretty girly and that green is so distracting on the eyes. I loved seeing what the inside of the gameboy looks like. Its a cult classic so why the hate?

>> No.5564967

>>5564795
How is it an obscure device every fucking kid on the playground had a color when it came out

>> No.5564973

>>5564795
Tomb Raider for GBC is helluva good survival(?) platformer.

>> No.5564980

>>5564795
>obscure
How can a multimillion selling console from a multibillionaire company that was owned by almost every second kid at school be regarded as obscure

>> No.5565150

>>5564967
>>5564980
So this is what you faggots want to talk about here now. We could talk about the games it had and everything else GBC related but instead your autism has to get triggered over one simple word. The game everyone played was fucking Pokémon which isn't even a GBC game. So let's talk GBC. Also no I am not American so English isn't my native language but I meant it's weird that it took so long and got quickly replaced by the GBA which was so powerful and nobody ever talks about the GBC or shares find memories about it.

>> No.5565159

>>5565150
Why are you getting triggered, OP? This is /vr/

>> No.5565227
File: 60 KB, 498x500, 001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5565150
There have been a lot of retards on here recently.
Anyway, my favorite GBC game is Oracle of Ages. I like how puzzle heavy it is, which works great on a handheld were games with fast action can be harder to play.

>> No.5565242

>>5565227
I think I like Seasons a little bit more, but yeah the Oracle games are my favorite GBC games overall.

>> No.5565258
File: 632 KB, 500x400, tumblr_n0wect1JI01rfy6zso1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5564795
I was doing some work for Nelvana in the early 00's, but it was quite a commute from where I was living at the time. Some days it was hours snd hours of commute for a less than five minute meeting. But I didn't care too much because all my time was covered. Most if that was spent on or waiting for trains abd having a GBC was wonderful. It's where I played most of DQ 1-3 as well as MGS Ghost Babel l which I still consider excellent as well as some others.

Tomb Raider GBC really stands out though. It's like Prince of Persia but with better structure. I had a shocking amount of fun with that game.

>> No.5565261

>>5565150
Are you fucking serious? The baiting/trolling on 4chan has degraded so badly in quality since I have been coming here. I can't put my finger on when it exactly started to happen but in the past few years the amount of true retardation coming from this place increased tenfold.

Fuck out of here with your revisionist history. The GBC was extremely popular, kids played the gen 1 Pokemon games on their GBC's if they had one and they even made the second generation games GBC games so there goes your entire OP thrown right out the fucking window dipshit. The GBC actually revitalized the original GB for a bit and it was largely thanks to the gen 1 Pokemon games which actually came only a bit before GBC.

Bait on 4chan used to be clever once upon a time. Now it is so lazy and obnoxiously as stupid and try hard as possible.

>> No.5565269

O B S C U R E
B
S
E
S
S
E
D

>> No.5565284

Loved my transparent purple GBC.
I remember there was a period of time every night I'd get in bed around 10pm and play Tetris DX for about an hour until I fell asleep/got too tired and turned my bed lamp off.
Fond memories.

>> No.5565289

>>5565269
FUCK OFF I get it already I wasn't using the correct English word. Cut me some slack and talk about video games.how many foreign languages do you speak?

Also I didn't see it at school at all.

>> No.5565325

>>5565261
4chan is SNL

>> No.5565349
File: 246 KB, 896x1199, 62362372317.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5565261
That poster is not entirely wrong in that the perception among the "gamer" crowd then was that GBC was a stopgap, johnny-come-lately cashgrab system during a golden age of home console and PC games. It was an afterthought with my group of friends (HS aged), who were busy playing whatever and some had GB Pockets from only a year or two before and couldn't be bothered to care. I got one and loved it and still to this day regularly play Tetris DX outside to relax. Also, just recently kickstarted Tobu Tobu Girl DX :3

>> No.5565370

>>5565349
Every kid I knew had a GBC. Tons of kids had other GB models as well. Point is that the entirety of the GB line pre-Advanced was very popular and this definitely included the GBC. In no way was it ever obscure. The Pokemon games alone put it way over the top in popularity.

>> No.5565747

Every single kid owned one of these, and most had the transparent purple one. There were multiple kids on the playground with their link cables out and battling or trading during recess and bus rides home. You are a zoomer that wasnt old enough to experience those times before the internet ruined everything.

>> No.5566297

>>5565370
BUT POKEMON IS A GB GAME IS EVERYONE TO RETARDED TO TALK ABOUT GAMES HERE!?See I already talked about quest for Camelot and stranded kids so I started talking about games but what is this thread all about?
>Lol OP said the GBC is obscure. How is it obscure , it came way too late and was replaced by the GBA only a few years later, I don't get that statement from OP and I will just ignore it and jerk off about the fact he used the word obscure
>Obscure obscure obscure

How fucking stupid are you all? /v/ is already a circle jerk of morons. I come to /vr/ to talk to adult people in their 30s or older who don't behave like little cunts but all you fags have to do is be like
>Lol obscure
Instead of talking about games.

At least
>>5565349
Gets it / understands what I mean and gave me a proper reply. This could have been such a nice thread but you idiots already ruined it. I suppose I'll try again at some point and make a thread with just five words because if it's too much text you people will pick on it.

Fuck you, you are no retro gamers who like talking about retro games, you are fucking ass hats. No wonder we can't have any nice things.

>> No.5566323

>>5565150
>you faggots
>your autism has to get triggered
>nobody ever talks about the GBC
>FUCK OFF
>IS EVERYONE TO RETARDED
>obscure obscure obscure
>lol obscure
>How fucking stupid are you all?
>circle jerk of morons
>you fags
>you idiots ruined my thread
>fuck you
>you are fucking ass hats
> Also no I am not American so English isn't my native language

Now if there is a need for autism definition there you go. Get the FUCK out of here you aggressive retard. You act like a fucking dog in heat. Get the FUCK out from there because a) nobody wants you here b) nobody cares about your triggering and your autism c) nobody cares you are from some subhuman slav shithole. If you're so fucking retarded you get triggered by a single word of criticism then try reddit.

>> No.5566338
File: 28 KB, 480x360, hqdefault (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5564795
Got the Pokemon Yellow Special Edition for Christmas the year it came out, which made my older brother very mad at the time, since he wanted one and got a bronzed driver golf club instead. One of my top 10 games of all time is still pic related, and I finally got around to playing through its sequel. Courtney is so fucking hot.

>> No.5566341

>>5564795
Are you the eurotrash that was trying to smug up another GBC thread from last year?