[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 70 KB, 450x800, 20180629_095355.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5564060 No.5564060 [Reply] [Original]

Why does emulation make some people so angry?

>> No.5564091
File: 34 KB, 666x212, vr_ill_roms.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5564060

>> No.5564092

>>5564060
Those are the same people that think Piracy is equal to theft of physical property.

>> No.5564097

>>5564060
they just don't like to see other people happy, others go for the "illegal" argument and/or rage because of the money they've spent... the ones arguing about the technical issues and "not the same experience", sometimes make valid points, but one thing is pointing the shit out, and another is getting worked into rage because some using emulation simply don't give a fuck , or make things work to a point the games play perfectly fine to their senses.

>> No.5564106

Piracy rules. Only bootlickers disagree.

>> No.5564159

>>5564060
Those people are

- Nintendo, Sony, publishers or current IP owners (sometimes not even the developers, since they're ambivalent about it considering they receive zero, zilch, nada money from anything more than 5 years old that's not a remaster they're involved in adding new content for) : devalues work they can release with zero effort for more revenue

- Bootlickers and fanboys of game companies with a misguided sense of justice, even when the official rerelease will never come (and what do you know, Nintendo doesn't even bother anymore to flag pages in romsites that have THEIR own games that will never rerelease like the offensive -Super Sokouban, Time Twist-, the copyright landmine -Popeye, Hello Kitty Famicom, Tottoko Hamtaro, Eyeshield DS, their Famicom celeb dating sim- or the illegal -Uniracers-)

- Collectors and hoarders who really want you to buy their second-hand copy for 300 grand to help their self-enrichment scheme and years of market controlling and buying off entire inventories off Akibahara and eBay, or those who enabled them and want to feel better about their sunken cost and think everyone who want to play Soleil Megadrive needs to spend an arm and a leg to be granted the right to play it

- Game journalists and political activists who think players shouldn't be allowed to get power back from them to get "unsellable" games that will never be sold anymore, or which they demanded never be sold. notably PCGamer went after a DOS collector into preserving roms online, with multiple hitpieces implying he wants to rob the library of congress and allegations he is a crazy psycho, because he wanted that one time to preserve an old western fmv sex game on pc. The article had "we told you it's a bad game so no one should be playing it" verbatim

- Trolls

>> No.5564190
File: 747 KB, 208x119, nope.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>in a world where no one pirates
>all those lost games

>> No.5564201

>>5564060
If you can't see both sides of the argument you either purposefully ignore the other side or there's something wrong with you.
Obviously tons of pro's and cons. Everybody gets to enjoy something, but maybe it hurts sales of new products or potential to remaster, port or whatever the fk, emulation can either make a game better or worse depending on who you ask, individual may place less value on a product they pay nothing for, not intended delivery of content, can damage lesser developers as bigger ones have enough sales to not worry but smaller developers may need everything they can get so furthers AAA and Indie gap, creates need for anti-piracy stuff nobody likes, can play on any device nowadays, etc...
For me personally, I work in the music industry and see how foreign people pirate indie stuff and the indie stuff is the easiest to get, literally everything in a genre can be found almost on one site while major stuff is harder to get from this country and it did in fact do huge damage to Indie releases, but that is much more small scale than games. For example some groups rely on selling 100 to 1000 copies to make a profit and sales directly drop once a foreign person buys and uploads the cd. Although there is always the argument that a product should be so good or customer attachment should be so strong that a fan wants to buy anyway, or that piracy helps spread the word, etc... I don't know about games but it does do damage to the music and comic industry, especially to the smaller guys.

>> No.5564207

>this predates project64 bundling adware with itself
who would have guessed
>>5564091
>is this true?
No?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitations_on_exclusive_rights:_Computer_programs
>You may create archival copies and backups of copyrighted programs (using a ROM dumper in this case)
>You may utilize the program, including installing it to a harddisk (keeping legally dumped ROMs on your system)
>It is easy to imagine a situation where the copyright holder may want to stop owners/possessors from using the copyrighted software, so it is the legal write of these people to make a copy of said software
Also, https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/1201
>You may reverse engineer a copyrighted program to achieve interoperability (defined as having computer programs exchange information and use said information, which is something an emulator does) with other computer programs

>> No.5564253

>>5564060
>the pc lot will do anything to get hold of a good game
SEETHING

>> No.5564267

>>5564091
You can copy anything you own for yourself for backup purposes, but distribution is illegal, yeah.

>> No.5564298

>>5564201
You are talking about piracy in general, but the thread seems to be about emulation specifically.
While there is some truth to the argument that piracy, in general, may impact sales, when the object being "sold" is a 20+ year old game, whose original copies have been out of production for years, it's different. You may argue "they may re-release it later", but in reality, only a relatively small percentage of titles ever actually get officially, legally, re-released in some form (I'm talking about the original games, unmodified, not remakes), and it's easy money (especially if using digital distribution), since it requires nearly zero effort on the publisher's part. For the rest, unless you're lucky enough to find an old, used copy, you pretty much have no real way to play them unless resorting to emulation.
Retro gaming emulation has the benefit of potentially reducing sales of such content, forcing publishers to actually work on releasing new stuff instead of charging money over and over for the same exact games.
I'm not arguing about legal, nor moral aspects here: I'm merely pointing out practical benefits emulation brings to us as consumers, apart from obviously giving you an easy way to play old games. I'd rather have publishers shit out new games instead of charging money over and over during the years for the same content

>> No.5564337

>>5564207
People doing that aren't creating "archival copies" though. They're creating copies intended to be used actively, and not just archived.

>> No.5564373

>>5564337
Archival copies are only one of the things you are permitted to do.
>"One who rightfully possesses a copy of a program, therefore, should be provided with a legal right to copy it to that extent which will permit its use by that possessor."
>"But this permission would not extend to other copies of the program. Thus, one could not, for example, make archival copies of a program and later sell some while retaining some for use."
Basically, you can make a copy and use said copy freely as long as you aren't distributing it

>> No.5564392

>>5564060
Why does buying physical copies make some people so angry?

>> No.5564413

>>5564159
>- Bootlickers and fanboys of game companies with a misguided sense of justice, even when the official rerelease will never come (and what do you know, Nintendo doesn't even bother anymore to flag pages in romsites that have THEIR own games that will never rerelease like the offensive -Super Sokouban, Time Twist-, the copyright landmine -Popeye, Hello Kitty Famicom, Tottoko Hamtaro, Eyeshield DS, their Famicom celeb dating sim- or the illegal -Uniracers-)
I haven't known Disney to stop people from pirating Song of the South either desu.

>> No.5564425

>>5564392
jealousy
most people would take the real deal if they could afford it

>> No.5564441

>>5564159
>Bootlickers and fanboys of game companies with a misguided sense of justice
This shit right here. The amount of underageb& that drank the kool-aid on Nintendo forums think of the emulation community as being this evil entity trying to ruin gaming for the masses. They don’t realize it’s the other way around.

>> No.5564445

>>5564373
>>5564373
Nope try reading more carefully and comprehensively. I'm sorry, it's just not technically legal to make copies for playing. The law intends copies to be ONLY for BACKUP reasons. If your physical media breaks, then you can legally use your backup copy as much as you want but still not distribute.

>> No.5564448

And frankly, Sonny Bono got exactly the death he deserved.

>> No.5564452

>>5564425
I hate to burst your bubble, but most people think
>Why buy the milk if I can buy the cow?
It makes no sense to buy the file in a plastic shell that takes up space (which dies eventually) when I can download the file in the shell. I know resellers like you take this very personally. There is a reason why some on /lit/ with physical book collections look down on ebook pirates and why the vinyl /mu/ purists look down on digital pirates and streamers. It’s a matter of thinking people care for physical ornamentation and collections; when most people could care less.

>> No.5564457

Reissuing 30 year old games on Steam is pointless anyway since the programmers, artists, etc who made the game are no longer with EA or whoever and they don't benefit from it at all.

>> No.5564464

>>5564445
Except no?
>"a legal right to copy it to that extent which will permit its use by that possessor."
Clearly states the backup copies can be used. Unless you can show me a time that US courts decided against this

>> No.5564473

Piracy hardly hurts sales, and this has been proven time and time again.

>> No.5564508

>>5564060
embarrassing article, where is this from?

>> No.5564513

They use it as a scapegoat for low sales of a game when in reality it's probably all the copies you would have sold anyway. Leisure Suit Larry was famously one of the most pirated games in history. Actual number of copies sold was around 20,000 or so of the original EGA game.

For one thing, some stores would not carry a game with adult content which somewhat limited its availability, and some people were squeamish about buying such a game.

>> No.5564525

Will Wright claimed 20k copies of his original C64 version of Raid on Bungeling Bay were sold. The NES version sold 800k copies ("There were no concerns about piracy with Nintendo games" he said). Maybe true, but then the market for console games is triple that of computer games anyway. I mean, something like 30 million Famicom/NESes were sold worldwide while the C64, still the biggest selling individual model of computer in history, sold about 12 million units, about 60% of which were in Europe (ROBB was an American game so Europeans could have only gotten it as an expensive import).

>> No.5564541

>>5564525
I wouldn't be surprised if the NES version still made less profit due to the cartridge costs and the Nintendo licensing tax.

And if they made 1 million cartridges, then 800k sold copies means a gigantic loss that could put a company under.

>> No.5564550

ATTENTION ALL

No legal argument in defense of the ___distribution___ of dumped roms shall be found above or below this post in this thread, only a whole lot of whining about childish things like "what people deserve" while ignoring that important little detail.

THANK YOU AND GOOD DAY.

>> No.5564556

>>5564060
This article reads like a longform /v/ shitpost

>>5564091
No. Only distribution is illegal.

>>5564445
What's the point of the backup if you can't use it afterwards? What constitutes breaking? Is playing a gamecube game on the Wii illegal as it's not running on the official hardware it's designed for?

>> No.5564594

>>5564550
Thank you Nintendo legal team.

>> No.5564597

>>5564207
I AM NINTENDO AND I SAY ROMS ARE A SIN, IF YOU EVEN LOOK AT ONE I WILL SUE THE PANTS OFF OF YOU.

>> No.5564604

>>5564060
Poorfags are often angry little people. Especially when they have to settle for something subpar because of their poorfaggotry.

>> No.5564606

>>5564604
t. butthurt Akka Arrh cabinet owner

>> No.5564614

>>5564597
Because that's true, right? It hasn't just been C&Ds to distribution sites, right? Gotta be angry at something, right? May as well be the copyright holder, right?

>> No.5564828
File: 5 KB, 191x41, 1557501122726.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sounds like modern consoles

>> No.5564836

>>5564060
Holy kek, the levels of asspain and FUD and good ol' retardation in that article is off the charts.

>> No.5564839

>>5564060
I love how when emulation is discussed corporatecucks never fail to show up.
>Emulators are piracy bro I read it on the nintendo website
>You can't create a copy of a game you bought for yourself that's against the EULA dude

>> No.5564864

>>5564839
You're the only one who's said either of those things. I think games have made you dumb.

>> No.5564869

>>5564864
I was talking about emulation discussion in general my nigga.

>> No.5564879

>>5564060
I don’t get it either, people will play games the way that’s easiest and most comfortable for them, I say leave them be, as long as everyone is playing the games they enjoy, who cares.

>> No.5564880

A lot of people love sucking the cocks of companies. Capitalism has brainwashed them like fuck. I'm not Russian but Russians are cool with piracy and Roms. It's part of their culture even though they aren't commis anymore.

>> No.5564927

>>5564190
Lost games means less competition for new games so there's more incentive to keep making new games you didn't ask for. Don't you want game developers to be able to toil needlessly?

>> No.5564931

>>5564201
B O T H S I D E S

>> No.5564935

Don't care, I do what I want, because I can.

I bet you jabronis aren't even vegan

>> No.5565092
File: 136 KB, 1280x720, eqweqeq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5564253

color your anger away, anon :D

>> No.5566114
File: 68 KB, 217x159, Screenshot_2019-05-10.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5564060
Holy shit

>> No.5566151

>>5564092
>thinking piracy is fine
based
>thinking theft of physical property isn't
low IQ

>> No.5566245

>>5564060
They're either corporate cocksuckers or collectorfags. Both deserve to be mocked.

>> No.5566332

>>5566151
>im low IQ
And age

>> No.5566906

>>5564060
>spend $500 on underpowered console
>each game costs $60 plus tip
>$5000 for Earthbound
>PC bro comes and gets all for free and calls you a dumbass

I mean I would be seething too if I was stupid enough to get into that situation

>> No.5566912
File: 41 KB, 203x93, pcfats btfo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5566114
has this ever not been true? I've never seen PC BRs so thoroughly BTFO.

>> No.5567178

>>5564060
Because Corporations have spent a lot of money peddling influence to make them believe that.

Same reason MSNBC viewers vote liberal, FOX viewers vote conservative, and most people in the US are Israel's bitch.

>> No.5567195

>>5564060
Sunk cost fallacy. If somebody is getting the same experience on an emulator as they did spending a large amount of time, money, and effort on original hardware, then they've completely wasted their money chasing an illusion. This also means they're a total fucking idiot and their ego can't handle the combination of that. It's not enough that they prefer it and feel that there is value in using original hardware even if there often isn't an objective improvement, they have to be RIGHT about it.

>> No.5567228

>>5567195
everything in life is an illusion for good and for bad. just look at your life here on 4chan trying to prove a point.

>> No.5567663

>>5566906
Fortunately that'll never happen on your allowance

>> No.5567673

>>5564060
>PC gamers will remain delighted with the appearance of the emulator, though, as it finally allows them to play something other than top-down strategy games, infinitely dull flight sims and relentlessly cloned first-person shooters
>Still, the PC lot will do anything to get hold of a good game
all true

>> No.5567675

Why in the world would anyone pirate Earthbound when they can buy it for a mere $300 from my ebay storefront?

>> No.5567709

It doesn't, there's just a very vocal group of shitposters and emulation is one of the things they're stuck on lately

>> No.5567712

YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR

>> No.5568234

>>5567195
Hardware collectors are a smaller minority than trannies nobody gives a fuck what they think.

>> No.5568651

>>5564550

>> No.5569298
File: 28 KB, 800x480, retroarch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Whenever a friend says to me they really liked a game, but I find out they played it on an emulator, you know what I say?

I say "how do you know you liked it? You haven't played it."

And they haven't. They've played some artificial code which tries to replicate what the game is.

>> No.5569318

>>5569298
I know I'm replying to pasta, but this opens a nice discussion: is an experience lived within its original form, or is our internal reaction that defines it?
To put it in metaphorical form: can I dream about a storm and really feel the rain?
I think that playing on an emulator is a different experience, but that can be still compared to the original one. I can make a trip on train or plane, but the destination is the same.

>> No.5569320

>>5569318
I think game creators are fundamentally aware of the medium for which they are creating. They develop for a specific experience which involves their game being played on the real console with the real hardware.

By emulating, you are shattering everything that the developer intended.

>> No.5569324

>>5564060
>insulting strategy games, flight sims, and FPS games

Wow, nintoddlers never change. Stick to the brainlet platformers.

>> No.5569326

>>5564106
>tranny buzzwords

Back to discord, shoo shoo.

>> No.5569330

>>5569320
Good, fuck them

>> No.5569402

>>5569320
>I think game creators are fundamentally aware of the medium for which they are creating.
Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.
>They develop for a specific experience which involves their game being played on the real console with the real hardware.
Those are in fact aware do this.
That said, just because emulating is not the same experience the developer (supposedly) intended doesn't mean it can't be just as good, if not better.
I much preferred playing the two N64 Zeldas emulated with 16:9 override aspect than on the original hardware, for instance.

>> No.5569405

>>5569298
>artificial code
I doubt you know what the word "artificial" means. Old consoles don't grow on trees, y'know.
By this logic, you have never watched any movie at all unless you saw it in a theater.

>> No.5569408

>>5569326
>associating a common term in decades of academic discourse with people on the internet

go outside, graduate from high school

>> No.5569409

>>5569405
Watching a movie in the cinema is a completely different experience to watching it at home. Nobody would disagree with that.

Similarly, an emulator is a totally different experience to playing the real deal.

>> No.5569410

>>5566332
Yes, you are young and unintelligent if you think theft is inherently morally or ethically wrong. Really unintelligent.

>> No.5569415

>>5569409
Yes, but playing an old game on an emulator is arguably much closer to playing on the original hardware than watching a movie at home is with respect to the cinema. Yet no one would say that you "haven't watched a movie" just because you saw it somewhere else. So saying that one "hasn't played a game" just because he used an emulator instead is frankly ridiculous.
It's not going to be the exact, 100% same, for obvious reasons, but it's more than close enough to say you've properly experienced it.

>> No.5569416

>>5569410
>t. commie

>> No.5569418

>>5569410
Theft isn't inherently morally or ethically wrong in the same sense killing isn't inherently morally or ethically wrong. Both can be justified in some specific situations, but most of the time, they can't.

>> No.5569429

>>5569416
t. conservative
great argument huh?
>>5569418
yes, and killing is justifiable far less often. I'm wealthy and that's truly not fair, my job is easy as fuck and I only get paid the salary I do because I have relatively uncommon skills. steal some shit from me idgaf I'll claim it back on insurance or just buy another one

>> No.5569431

>>5569429
>i swear im right wing guys
>proceeds to be WOKE

Ok, I'm a left wing commie and I think jews and niggers should be completely exterminated. It would balance the world economics and; capitalism and meritocracy would finally work as intended, and the human race would prosper.

>> No.5569435

>>5569431
when did I claim to be right wing? I replied to the comment
>t. commie
with
>t. conservative
because it's a stupid argument. I'm a wealthy leftist, which is irrelevant to my views on theft.

Capitalism and meritocracy don't function, demonstrated by the world you inhabit right now. If they're so great, why are you posting on an imageboard?

>> No.5569441

>>5569435
Nothing like a rich liberal. A cow defending the right to be slaughtered. Out of every kind of degenerate, you are the worst. Killing people like you isn't ethically or morally wrong, so I guess we agree on something.

>> No.5569448

>>5569441
>liberal
lmao

>Killing people like you isn't ethically or morally wrong, so I guess we agree on something.
Hey buddy, I think you've got the wrong door, the leather club's two blocks down. FuckYou

If capitalism works so well, why is a degenerate like me wealthy despite being born in a working class family?

>> No.5569452

>>5569448
Problems with the world have very little to do with the predominant economic system, and more with the sort of people at the top. They are so good in fact, that they've managed to divide and conquer just about every group you can think of.
If you're not a Jew, you're literally in the same boat as me and every other goyim, and yet here we are, fighting. Communism is a joke, you're not some virtuous, enlightened being. Capitalism and meritocracy doesn't work because too many people that should've been exterminated are still alive.

>> No.5569459
File: 79 KB, 566x568, DtkpVkmVYAwEqdc.jpg-large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5569452
>Problems with the world have very little to do with the predominant economic system, and more with the sort of people at the top.
What's your issue with replacing capitalism with communism if this is the case? I don't advocate for communism, by the way.

> If you're not a Jew, you're literally in the same boat as me and every other goyim, and yet here we are, fighting.
Fighting? I'm just sharing my thoughts, buddy. If you feel like this is hostile, take a break from the internet for a while.

>you're not some virtuous, enlightened being.
I know, I'm just a happy and successful being. Feels great to be honest.

>Capitalism and meritocracy doesn't work because too many people that should've been exterminated are still alive.
Too bad it's people with greater economic power who tend to make these decisions, otherwise you'd be killing me! I might get some sleep dude I have work tomorrow and my wife and kids are pretty important to me, hope your personal situation improves and you manage to calm down a little. This board is pretty slow so maybe we can resume this discussion tomorrow : )

>> No.5569504

what a good thread

benis

>> No.5569751

>>5566114
Fake emulators of new consoles that are actually malware is a very old prank and so frequent even the FCC warned about it, but there's a kernel of truth in this quote...

So the nips have developed their own emulators and stuff but don't want to deal with filthy gaijin who are rude, obnoxious (you should submit to the GPL open source gods!! or else yur a criminal who stole company secrets, you may only continue if you release your source) or toxic (this is the period of time the romhacking scene were making up crimes about their internet enemies, they shot a school or were pancaked by a bus) or overall very inconsiderate of the stricter piracy laws in Japan.
So one Famicom emulator dev had his (legit!) emulator detect if it's a non-Japanese W98 installation, and if true, wipes as much of the hard disk as possible. Inspired by that, one shareware dev of No$GMB had his emulator if pirated freeze the host computer as punishment until one button is clicked like 500 times

Fun times

>> No.5569769
File: 12 KB, 258x245, 1551545524552.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5569298

>> No.5570102

>>5567195
Is this copypasta or are you actually this butthurt

>> No.5570110

>>5564880
It helps a bit that, aside from stalker and tetris, they don't make any notable games of their own.

>> No.5570123

>>5564445
You're not very good at reading, are you?
>"will permit its use by that possessor."
>"will"
This sentence refers to the use of the backup at a later date, when it's necessary to utilize the backup. It's surprising I have to explain this to you.

>>5564556
>What's the point of the backup if you can't use it afterwards?
You can, that's the whole idea.
>What constitutes breaking?
You don't know what breaking is? It's when something doesn't work anymore.
>Is playing a gamecube game on the Wii illegal as it's not running on the official hardware it's designed for?
What a dumb question.

>> No.5570125

>>5569320
>I think game creators are fundamentally aware of the medium for which they are creating.
Lol, wrong 95% of the time. Just look how many SNES games are stretched to fuck because the developers couldn't be arsed.

>> No.5570126

>>5569408
>"bootlicker"
>academic discoure
I was on your side, but you are one hell of a moron.

>> No.5570129

>>5564060
>Most of /v/ wasn't even alive when ultraHLE came out
How did so much time pass so quickly

>> No.5570136

>>5569448
>If capitalism works so well, why is a degenerate like me wealthy despite being born in a working class family?
You just demonstrated the social mobility afforded by capitalism. Are you against it or not? As you said, you have uncommon skills, and you get paid well in response. Again, that seems like an argument in favor of capitalism. Beats putting genuises to work doing manual labor in the grain fields or killing them in a re-education camp.

>> No.5570148

Exclusives are cancer. Imagine if certain movies only played on certain televisions, or music on certain speakers or headphones. We could extrapolate this further outside of the realm of entertainment, with refrigerators refusing to run with certain types of food stored within or cars requiring a certain brand of gasoline. We only allow it because the industry was built on it as a defacto standard, and emulation seeks to merely undo decades of anti-consumer practices

>> No.5570246

You know, I'll never stop laughing and ridiculing those who don't know how to set up a decent emulator and complain that the experience of emulating can never match older gen console quality. They try to justify it so much, first with "no bugs and proper speed", then with "good sound and special chip support", these days with "no input lag", but all of that is getting solved and sometimes improved over the original hardware. Now it's all a matter of "I'm too silly to set up software"

>> No.5570517

>>5564060
>[emulator] finally allows them to play something other than top down strategy games, infinitely dull flight sims and relentlessly cloned first-person shooters
>the PC lot will do anything to get hold of a good game

So this pretty much proves that all the NEVER EVER PCFAGS etc shitposters are Nintendies still seething over the fact they lost all relevant third party support.

>> No.5570523

They always say it's about los sales and anti piracy - but in reality they want to limit the backcatalog of games people have access, too.
The industry knows that a pirated copy or rom isn't automatically a lost sale, since those who pirate it often had no intention to buy in the first place. But people who are looking for a new game to play and are willing to take money out don't have the option to go for older titles.
So they have to buy a new game at full price instead opting for a bargain bin classic from the last generation.

>> No.5570527

>>5564060
It’s soulless in comparison to the soul that is gaming on original hardware

>> No.5570540

>>5564445
HEE HAW HEEE HAW!
everyone look at this jackass

>> No.5570541

>>5570148
exclusives are the most pro-consumer thing in the industry. being anti-exclusive is being anti-video games.

>> No.5570542

>>5564452
couldnt care less you uncultured peasant

>> No.5570548

>>5564550
oi chump I give zero fucks what you think is and isnt acceptable topic and sure as fuck give none over you going you will not discuss this or that. i'll discuss whatever the fuck I want lil bitch and you playing jannie queer for free wont change that

>> No.5570558

It's kind of hard for me to buy old ass 70s and 80s pc and other systems and games for it.... and seriously where can I buy cbm based stuff for affordable prices and data and disks not dying randomly.
I still with huge mass digital collections of games/programs/utils/systems/whatever because I want thousands of things to do when I lock myself away for days on end over years and I really do enjoy exploring all these old games especially the 80s. so since I dont have the money to buy 250+ apple IIe games or find working ti994a games I play them digitally.

now off to play some parsec

>> No.5570569

>>5569320
considering the current stage of gaming and developers/publishers and articles coming out blaming gamers for companies having to keep putting out content (fuck your live system) I dont care about the buttgape of modern game companies mostly AAA. I want it to crash and burn and rebuild but alas it wont.
So I stick with my old retro games and roms of various systems and not worry about the subpar state of modern gaming companies. and no I dont want another multishitter online with microtransactions fuck that and any company that uses it and fuck the consumers that continue to show it works.

>> No.5570610

Reminder that pirates are soulless scum of the earth, leeching and scamming their way through life.

>> No.5570650

>>5570610
reminder that queers that shitpost about pirates are feminine scum of the earth, sucking and fucking their way on corporate cock like good lil npc drones

>> No.5570657

>>5570650
Sounds like you spend a lot of time thinking about sucking cock, edgy pirate boy.

>> No.5570658

>>5570610
>implying the majority of nu-retro collecting doesn't involve chinese repros

>> No.5570660

Considering how older games are often no longer supported by the original developers or publishers, piracy makes sense.

Also, the only other option is to buy pre-owned hardware which has the same result as piracy in that no money goes to the developers and publishers.

If anything, such emulation enables younger gamers to finally get to experience these games and older gamers another chance to complete the games they only got to try out when they were younger.

>> No.5570813

>>5570610
We can talk about it in the broader sense, but when it comes to retro games specifically, pirating/emulating an old game which whose original copies aren't sold anymore and whose original producer doesn't support anymore effectively harms no one.

>> No.5571001

>>5570813
It hurts the publishers (inb4 who cares) still releasing those games, and it hurts the collector market. So what you said it 100% wrong and the opposite is true. Nice job being retarded!

>> No.5571023

>>5571001
by that logic, the collector market also hurts the publishers still releasing those games.

retro games flipped over and over again - often for hefty profit (its certainly no charity) - but the publisher only made money off of each game one time. by that logic, buying a used copy of smb3 is stabbing nintendo in the stomach because you didn't buy an nes mini some virtual console rerelease of it instead

>> No.5571029

>>5564159
one of the best posts I've seen

>> No.5571034
File: 13 KB, 302x271, 1557562904821.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5564060
all that propaganda in such a short article, holy shit.
>this totally isnt a cool technological feat
>we dont know if emulation is illegal but it sure should be! making roms definitely is! (it isnt)
>those emus come with viruses dude it will melt your HD!
>pc only has strategy games, sims, and fps what a bunch of NERDS
>the big N
>pc fags dont even have analog sticks, laugh at those pathetic fools

>> No.5571045

>>5571034
It's a tongue in cheek column from N64 magazine (UK).

>> No.5571069
File: 216 KB, 908x300, N64MagHEADER.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5564060
>scaremongering
>hurr durr PC is for RTS and flight sims xD
I expected better from Official N64 Magazine. Are all my good memories of them false?

>> No.5571126

>>5569320
>I think game creators are fundamentally aware of the medium for which they are creating. They develop for a specific experience which involves their game being played on the real console with the real hardware.

So what about ports released on other consoles that were handled by a different team?

What about the more recent HD remasters that have little or no input from the first developers and look (and possibly play) significantly different than the original developers intended?

What about official emulation? If somebody completes SMW on Virtual Console have they not "really" beaten the game?

>> No.5571140

many retards like to think the endless games they've wasted thousands of their finite income on actually mean anything outside of bragging rights

>> No.5571151

>>5571069
It's simple shitposting from a late 90's console gamer directed to late 90's PC gamers. No need to take it personally.

>> No.5571202

>>5564190
Now imagine you're me and into obscure 80s Punk bands that put out 1 album. Losing Megaupload was horrible

>> No.5571246

>>5564060
Emulation/playing it any way other than how you originally played it

>> No.5571261
File: 321 KB, 2518x1024, chadpirate.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5564550
>No legal argument
Who gives a shit?

>> No.5571265

>>5564159
Great post, sums it all up nicely. I can't believe we even walked into this clown world where you can't discuss emulators or roms rationally anymore, it's so much different than the net of ten years ago, people wouldn't be caught dead giving a shit unless they were literally paid to.

>> No.5571272

>>5569298
Natural code contrarian checking in!

>> No.5571278

>>5570657
says the seething femboy sucking gleefully on corporate cock. especially old coroporate cock of games from the 80s and 90s that no longer are for sale in stores complete.

cry moar bitch nigga you got btfo with no chance to recover

>> No.5571285

>>5571278
You win, stealing is so cool, and hardcore. How will I ever recover

>> No.5571331

>>5571285
idk but you'll probably go suck more corporate cock and whine about stealing of games no longer sold in stores from the 80s and 90s.

>> No.5571356

>>5571331
Shh nap time for babby

>> No.5571461

>>5571356
good have a nice nap

>> No.5571505

>>5571261
You are a sociopath.

>> No.5571609

The same reason why people who emulate get angry at collectors: the like to stick they noses in other people business

>> No.5571612

>>5571461
It's weird when you talk to yourself, but if I took it up the ass all day maybe I would be crazy too.

>> No.5571635

>>5571261
Based

>> No.5571710

>>5564060
>It finally allows them to play something other than top-down strategy games, infinitely dull flight sims and relentlessly clone first-person shooters.
Even back then consolefags were buttblasted as hell.

>> No.5571714

>>5564828
If you eliminate the top-down strategy games and the flight sims which don't exist anymore.

>> No.5571716

>>5566912
This is completely untrue though.
If anything it's the other way around. Nint0ddlers and S0nyggers were so desperate for some first-person shooters that they overrated shit like Goldeneye and Syphon Filter.

>> No.5571730

>>5567673
lmao triggered consolebabby
enjoy your bing bing wahoo at 15fps

>> No.5571735

>>5569320
God, shut the fuck up you retarded kiddie.

>> No.5571742

>>5570610
I can hear your fat rolls miles away.

>> No.5571854

>>5571001
>It hurts the publishers (inb4 who cares) still releasing those games
There are many old games which haven't been re-released in decades (and probably never will), and whose original copies have been out of production for a comparable amount of time. You effectively have _no way_ to play those games while also giving money to the publishers (and hopefully, the actual developers). Therefore, the options left are:
>get a used copy from some hoarder who will resell it for an absurd amount of money
>pirate/emulate it
Neither option ultimately benefits the original producer. And among the two, I'll gladly take the one that doesn't force me to spend an unfair amount of money to a fat bastard.
As for "hurting the collector market", those who actually want to collect original copies will be doing so anyway, no matter how rampant piracy may be. So your argument is quite brain-damaged.
Besides, and this may come as a surprise to you, some console games actually have licenses preventing the item from being resold. So, while this is pretty much never enforced in practice, even reselling them is not only not benefiting the publisher, but also technically illegal.
This means that you sometimes have no legal way at all to play these games, since original copies are no longer produced. At this point, you're better off taking the way which doesn't require you to spend money.

>> No.5571876

>>5566912
>>5566114
You can smell the anger of these people,
>mfw playing all the games in the world on your computer and didn't pay a dime for it.
lmao imagine wasting money for a corp

>> No.5571885

>>5569409
>Similarly, an emulator is a totally different experience to playing the real deal.
>>5569415
>Yes, but playing an old game on an emulator is arguably much closer to playing on the original hardware than watching a movie at home is with respect to the cinema.

I think of it this way: When you played Mario Kart on a real SNES back in the day it was on a comfy couch with a friend using real controllers designed for the purpose. Fun was had by all and the game was experienced more or less as intended.
Sure, you CAN set up an emulator on a TV and play it from couch distance with 2x USB SNES controllers, but that's not what people are actually doing, really, is it? They are sitting in an office chair at a desk by themselves WASD'ing it up with a slightly corrupted ROM off a BR site on a slightly incorrectly configured, ancient version of BSNES.
THAT's the experience we're really talking about.

>> No.5571948

>>5571885
>but that's not what people are actually doing, really, is it? They are sitting in an office chair at a desk by themselves WASD'ing it up with a slightly corrupted ROM off a BR site on a slightly incorrectly configured, ancient version of BSNES.
This is the literal definition of projection. Stop, not everyone behaves the way you think they do.

>> No.5572195

>>5571034
Project64's installer did include malware at one point but it was removed on newer releases

>> No.5572217

>>5564298
Yeah, IMO, a publisher has a certain timeline to re-release their game and make it in some way available to people. If a game goes like twenty years without a re-release there's not much they can say in their defense, they know people will want to play it. Either they sat around or they didn't have the money to release it. Either way it's natural that people are going to find a way to get at it. Like if you make it illegal to have sex with women alot of people are going to be breaking the law. You can't expect otherwise.

>> No.5572235

What turns a man into a corpcuck?

>> No.5572246

>>5572235
Lack of identity. Lack of a father figure. Lack of purpose in life. They'll never succeed in life so they root for the success of their favourite toymaker/corporation instead.

>> No.5572858

Pirates btfo, nothing these scumbags can do but project and insult. No money, no authenticity, no sex.

>> No.5572921

>>5566151

>> No.5573395

>>5571876
Get the fuck off my computer, faggot

>> No.5573610

>>5567195
Counterpoint, if you're not playing a game on real Hardware you're not playing the game. You're playing a shity bootleg. It's the difference between watching Avengers endgame in the theater, downloading a pirated cell phone video version of the movie off of Kat.ph.

Emulators are the cell phone video rip. Real hardware is going to a theatre.

>> No.5573618

The following people need to be rounded up and thrown into extermination camps.

People who use emulators.
Leftists
Communists

Everyone to the left of Joe Biden is a fucking faggot.

>> No.5573638

>>5573610
>if you're not playing a game on real Hardware you're not playing the game. You're playing a shity bootleg. It's the difference between watching Avengers endgame in the theater, downloading a pirated cell phone video version of the movie off of Kat.ph.
What a horrible analogy.

>> No.5573731

>>5571285
What's wrong with stealing from Non-Whites & race traitors?

>> No.5573739

>>5573638
It really isn't. Avengers Endgame is the best movie ever made, and the NES is the best console ever made. Emulating NES is on par with watching Avengers Endgame on a 3 inch screen in 144p. Only a fucking retard would do it.

>> No.5573740

>>5571285
It's not stealing. Also, fuck you.

>> No.5573747

>>5573618
999% redpilled.

>> No.5573798

>>5564060
>They get what we paid for, but for free! REEEEEEEE!

>> No.5573806

>>5573610
Emulators now are pretty much identical to original HW, some times even better. So your argument amounts to retardation like
>if you haven'tt read a Book in a hardcover edition with high quality paper, you haven't read a Book

>> No.5573887

>>5564550

>> No.5574106

>>5564550
This is due to the usual, leechy hivemind that is the average /vr/oomer & /v/irgin, but since this is supposed to be a topic about emulation, these rampant arguments don't justify purchasing Virtual Console shit, either, which has been proven that even the legal distribution of ROMs by Nintendo is not justifiable with its terrible emulation. It's funny because Speedrunning chimps will go on for days about the timing difference between a certain moving platform in Super Mario 64 VC version.
Of course, archive.org has a sm0l software exemption from DMCA which prevents Nintenturds from touching it. Here's the official legal document:
https://archive.org/details/2018-12_DMCAchecklist_FINAL

>> No.5574158

If you have a problem with people using MAME, fuck you. Collecting PCBs isn't worth it.

>> No.5574165

>>5573618
i'm so tired of you larping faggots
put your money where your mouth is

>> No.5574192

>>5574106
Thanks. I consider this a definite positive for actual, true preservation efforts, but it's important to note that it doesn't change distribution restrictions and it doesn't apply to everyone, just those who qualify to all five criteria listed in the linked document (a longer, must-read section that I won't quote here).

Essentially it allows qualified institutions to bypass copy protections like DRM for the sole purpose of preserving old software, but all five qualifications are specific, and it doesn't allow distribution.

Some key points, starting with liability doesn't change:
>Note that the exemptions do not remove legal liability for copyright infringement of the underlying software itself, so as we discuss in more depth below, you’ll still want to follow the best practices for fair use or obtain permission from the copyright owner in order to avoid copyright liability.

Who generally qualifies:
>Individual hobbyists or collectors, as well as institutions that do not carefully oversee their collections, generally cannot claim the exemption.

Where preserved copies can actually be used:
>Copies of the computer programs cannot be distributed or made available outside of the physical premises of the library, archive, or museum.

The temporary nature of these exemptions:
>The 2018 DMCA exemptions are temporary and only in effect for three years. This means that in 2021 the software preservation community must petition the Copyright Office to renew or expand the exemption for software preservation.

>> No.5574289
File: 2.14 MB, 250x328, tenor (13).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5564060
>PC gamers remain delighted with the appearance of the emulator, though, as it finally allows them to play something other than top-down strategy games, infinitely dull flight sims and relentlessly cloned first-person shooters.

>> No.5574291
File: 134 KB, 600x541, 21956378-item-big-SDC-SDBLEEMG-A-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Delay reminder that Bleem! won in court against Sony.

Bleem!, our saviour, our precedent. Thank you.

Things would probably have been very different had you lost.

>> No.5574306

If piracy wrong why I'm not in jail yet?

>> No.5574313
File: 20 KB, 533x310, 22158607_481781398881652_5174959434425696256_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5574306
Imagine going to prison and having to explain other inmates you've got to serve time for downloading Super Mario 64

>> No.5574316

>>5571716
>If anything it's the other way around. Nint0ddlers and S0nyggers were so desperate for some first-person shooters that they overrated shit like Goldeneye and Syphon Filter.
Finally someone who shares this opinion: GoldenEye is arguably the most overrated retro game I've ever played.

>> No.5574326

>>5574316
>GoldenEye is arguably the most overrated retro game I've ever played.

Not him but I've been thinking this since the game's release and my friend and I got meme'd into buying it.
We were teens so we had no money, so we had to sell a bunch of other games to get it and regroup our money. The game was so bad and it was such a buyer remorse we didn't say anything and kept laughing at how bad it was.

The next day we returned it and got something else.

>> No.5574330

>>5571716
The PS1 didn't lack third person shooters, though. And Syphon Filter (the first one at the very least) is pretty solid and still enjoyable to this day. I'd rather have more games with the same mechanics minus the tank controls than having every tps being a press X to cover borefest.

>> No.5574338

>>5571716
I love GoldenEye. I don't believe is the best shooter ever created, but it's pretty fun nonethelss. I miss objective-based shooters.

>> No.5574512

>>5574306
because copyright is civil law

>> No.5575861

>>5574512
Actually it's also criminal, you armchair-lawyer mouthbreather.

>> No.5576671

>>5573739
Awful bait

>> No.5576705

>>5564159
A masterclass post, saved.

>> No.5576731

>>5564159
What's the category for normal citizen that believes in people following law? "Political activist?"

>> No.5576753

I wish more people were into emulating stuff. Nothing more pleasant than having set up Launchbox to launch games directly on RetroArch, with the PC connected to a CRT TV.

>> No.5576770

>>5576731
Dupe.

>> No.5576779

>>5576753
Doesn't sound convenient at all.

>> No.5576781

>>5576779
Just turn on the TV, switch to the CRT. Open up a game. You can even quit the game with the controller. What's not convenient about it?

>> No.5576787

>>5576770
Nah, that's more fitting to the "edgy anarchist" pirating scum type such as yourself.

>> No.5576828

>>5576787
I don't think you know what dupe means

>> No.5576952

>>5574330
>The PS1 didn't lack third person shooters, though.
We're talking about first person shooters and the ones available on consoles at the time sucked compared to PC.

>> No.5576967

>>5573739
This board is 38+ only

>> No.5577102

>>5569326
go back to your containment board

>> No.5577508

>>5564060
I'm only annoyed by the Emufags who spend time saying "Man this game completely sucked" when they didn't spend much time on it, don't have any of the correct peripherals (Such as gamepad, but this is a fading issue since most people buy those $20 Logitech ones) and then talk like they actually know something.

But generally, I dislike people talking about things they know nothing about. There's no objective authority on this board, or really on this subject. I collect, sure, but I've slowed down because I don't agree with the pricing and I'm only doing it for me. Typically only but games I like to play or want to try as well, so it's not that bad.

But Youtubers like MetalJesusRocks and RGT85 do ruin things for people by scalping the market and then acting like you absolutely have to buy their niche product that they just shilled.

I don't care if someone is playing games via emulator, I don't even really care if they enjoy the same games I do or not. I just hate the incessant shitposting threads about the usual whatever and how emufags can't shut up about how they're emulating.
Like damn, just play the game and come talk about things you liked and didn't like, and if someone else has some input about the controls and why they work or don't maybe the emulator doesn't handle it the same? Maybe you should try something else? It's not that fucking important.

>> No.5577527

>>5577508
I should note, piracy on modern platforms does take sales from companies, and while it's easy to justify that your one pirated copy isn't hurting them that much, you do have to realize there's more than one of you doing that as well.
Now on an old platform that's receiving no support, I don't care. The devs don't make anything, it's not like the company would make cash off it, you buy everything through secondhand resellers if it's physical media, and if it's online purchase, you're just handing cash to the current owner of the rights, and that doesn't make much sense either.
Buy the new game if you like it, certainly, support the devs who made a game so they can continue to (hopefully) produce more content you like, but otherwise, it doesn't matter.

>> No.5577978

>>5576828
A dupe is someone who gets tricked into a certain way of thinking, like you pretending you're a cool, edgy badass for stealing and that it's not wrong, while ironically relying on the rest of society. When you're older you'll understand.

>> No.5578209

>>5577978
Please, tell us more about how piracy contributes to the collapse of society.

>> No.5578424

>>5578209
>let's get rid of those pesky theft laws, stealing shouldn't be a crime, especially if the goods are digital
>I'm an edgy free-thinker mom!

>> No.5578485

>>5578424
Okay but now explain how the downloading of decades-old games that are long since out of print hurts society.

>> No.5578504

>>5578485
>i'm 15 and just smoked my first joint
Just shut up, you look very stupid.

>> No.5578507

>>5578485
>a certain number of years makes it ok
>games that are mostly still being sold in various formats are out of print according to you
>keep changing goalposts