Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 356 KB, 4500x1500, MAMELogoTM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5539308 No.5539308 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

>all roms working well
>format pc
>update emulator
>25% of games don't work anymore because now some "irscsdkfg.15s8r" file is missing.

God, I hate those devs.

>> No.5539323

Did you not update mame for 10 years or something? I've done the exact same thing as you and had no problems. Or all your a rom hoarder who needs the full set to work at all times?

>> No.5539364

>>5539323
My last update was 2 years ago and at that time I already audit all my roms. Now they say that the same audited roms from 2017 don't work anymore.

I just wanted to understand the need for this with each new update.

>> No.5539371

>>5539308
MAME has been a clusterfuck for decades, what's new

>> No.5539376

New version of Mame = new romset.
Every single time.
You must be new.

>> No.5539586

Doesn't happen that often but I did have an issue like this recently. But if you have Something like romset 0.203 you can easily use mame 0.204 and viceversa.

But yeah, it's stupid because of availability, storage, having to use a tool to upgrade the romset properly, if you skip a few you can get fucked in the ass (mainly because pleasure dome won't really host anything but the latest, and update packs for the latest, so I was 3 versions behind and I had no choice)... don't bother updating unless software side there's something you might need (like a new version of SwitchRes with GroovyMAME) or a game that's not supported yet.

>> No.5539674

Just use a frontend, MAME won't bitch at you for updated versions.

>> No.5539789

Great post OP, they need to stop adding new games and making it better in any way

>> No.5539835

>>5539376
This.
You ALWAYS should match your rom set to the version of MAME

>> No.5539847
File: 109 KB, 1300x866, 21923712-portrait-of-a-joyful-bearded-caucasian-man-laughing-loud-isolated-on-white-background.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5539847

Every romsite is scared of carrying new chd sets because Mario Kart GP is in it

>> No.5539868

>>5539308
Try using the correct roms.

>> No.5540338

>>5539789
So it's impossible to make new games to work without fucking all others that was perfectly playable 5 months ago?

I see...

>> No.5540350

>>5540338
It's possible, but MAME aims to document the workings of arcade machines, not enable copyright infringement

>> No.5540552

>>5540338
Literally google "How to upgrade MAME rom sets"
There are dozens of guides out there anon.
The exact same toolset for updating the romsets have been used since the late 90s, its been the same way to do it for 20+ years.

>> No.5540560

MAME IS A PROJECT TO DOCUMENT HARDWARE, PLAYING GAMES IS A SIDE EFFECT. IF YOU AREN'T PREPARED TO KEEP ALL YOUR GAMES UPDATED AS NEW VERSIONS COME OUT, DON'T USE MAME.

Wow, kids.

>> No.5540574

>>5540560
You know, you dont HAVE to update MAME right? I still play with .151 from 2013 since nothing that I really care about has been added since. Works fine for me.
You fucking zoomers, thinking that you always need the latest fucking software no matter what even if what you have does exactly what you need.

>> No.5540578

>>5540574
try playing polystar on that, fucking pleb

>> No.5540581

>>5540578
>polystar
Never heard of it, but it looks neat. I'll have to check that out, thanks anon

>> No.5540583

>>5540581
thanks, you won't

>> No.5540593
File: 10 KB, 1397x22, memes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5540593

>>5540583
Na, gives me a good excuse to update. I just like having a total full set if I'm going to and for that very reason why I've been putting it off (Got to also get scans, cabs, cheats, history, CHDs, "software". etc, etc)

>> No.5540654

>>5540593
He can't play polystar either because the emulation is slow and still very preliminary

>> No.5540661

>>5539308
it's always been like this

I can't even remember last time I updated cuz I was tired of the BS, I have my set, it's working, no need to fix anything

>> No.5540687

>>5540574
>I don't update software to get better versions, I like old shit because I am too dumb to use anything better
Are you still using Windows XP? I bet you're still using fucking Windows XP.

>> No.5540694

>>5540687
To play games, yeah. For everything else there's always linux or as I have taken to call it GNU+Linux

>> No.5540709
File: 134 KB, 533x217, capcom_qsound.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5540709

>>5540574
Proper Qsound emulation has only just been added to mame about half a year ago, and an optimized version of the driver just a few months ago.

>> No.5540714

>>5540709
Not impressed

>> No.5540720

This is why i haent updtated anything in 5 years, tried using a newest version 2 years ago and half my ROMS started bitching, so i just went back to use the old version..

I dont even think there's any ineresting game that has been added since Demon Front.

>> No.5540896

>>5540687
>updated
>better version
Are you using Windows 10? I bet you enjoy that eating all your RAM and limiting your frames. Windows XP is more than enough to play a arcade emulator

>> No.5540943
File: 449 KB, 530x656, 5625a7ee32f31203faa1f140d72f708f95fcf382a6352847e8d8638f9ea3379c.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5540943

>>5540687
XP kicks ass, everything after it is a bunch of ram wasting flashy GUI shit and homosexuality. All my roms play fine as well. Fucking kill yourself retard

>> No.5540958

>>5540687
I was still using XP like 4 years ago or so. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Only reason I upgraded is cause I bought a new PC and I couldn't install XP anymore.

>> No.5541047
File: 106 KB, 836x632, WaterColor_Large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5541047

>>5540943
>a bunch of ram wasting flashy GUI shit and homosexuality
That's what XP is. They should have gone with Watercolor.

>> No.5541121

>>5540943
>>5541047
High watermarks for Windows were 2000 and 7.

>> No.5541138

>>5539308
>rom preservation project doesn't cater to casual emubaby who just wants to play for free
>wahhhhhh
>b-b-but im preserving roms by playing for free
lol

>> No.5541143

>>5541138
>im preserving roms by playing for free
He is though.

>> No.5541149

>>5539308
I remember not updating my MAME emulator until around 2008 or something and was still using good ol' 0.95, but when I did update it was a significant boost in performance and accuracy. For one, I had apparently forgotten that Donkey Kong made more sounds.
Now I don't update unless it's a huge development like when Raiden II finally was cracked.

>> No.5541152

>>5541138
He's preserving ROMs by copying them into one more place at least. It's a requirement to do that to be able to play for free, so he's essentially doing that.

The more people distribute and store ROMs, the more they are preserved. The more people will have them in case sites get taken down. It's more important for these ROMs to exist somewhere than protecting them from being played for free by someone.

>> No.5541164

>>5541138
Think before typing, kids

>> No.5541173

>>5540560
I love this excuse from the developers. They said this when they were getting called out on their Frankenstein-coded mess that they created.

>> No.5541186
File: 1.72 MB, 752x1100, 1555209365290.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5541186

>>5539308
unfortunately this is how mame works.
basically just get a complete romset and stick to that version.
and only use new versions of mame to run newly supported games.

>> No.5541480

Other than the QSound update(which only effected games that used QSound), what parent roms actually have required updates within the last few years? I ask because short of keeping a complete merged set or a complete set of every single clone, all most roms would need is some renaming here and there.

I never stop finding it funny so many morons can't into MAME, then bitch that the devs are at fault. No, the mamedevs won't make MAME support every previous bad dump of a rom complete with the old hacky emulation just because you are too lazy to keep your shit up to date. Yes, MAME expects exact roms and not whatever half-dump/overdumped mess you are trying to shove down it's throat. No, the MAME devs aren't going to divert time away from making new games work to fix the minor graphical glitch in your favorite game.

Can't anyone take a hint that no one has ever bothered to make a fork of MAME that will accept every version of a rom ever released? Think about it. Either keep your shit up to date or get used to downloading the set whenever you want to update.

>> No.5541484

>>5540709
I never understood wtf qsound was supposed to do other than make a weird sound in the attract mode

>> No.5541496 [DELETED] 

>>5541480
tl;dr nerds are inusfferable assholes. Really, this is one of the few hobbies where when someone doesn't understand something the response isn't to help them, or even mock them in good fun, no it's outright hostile derision for us. Directions and FAQs are a JOKE, but keep some guys love it because then their "elite emulation knowledge" is kept to their little cliques.

If we were car fags no one would fall silent and not give good advice if an anon wanted to put seatbelts into a car in which it would be inappropriate for the period. No, they'd get good advice in-triplicate, but because of ASSHOLE NERDS (the true toxic community) every newbie or guy with an average amount of knowledge will always wane because lol fuggem.

Some of you need to get a life; if you're not going to be helpful, please, shut the fuck up.

>> No.5541497

>>5539308
Thanks for reminding me to update MAME, it's been two years.

>> No.5541506

>>5541496
probably because using mame requires you to do illegal shit while installing seatbelts doesn't unless you use illegal seatbelts. What kind of people do you think are okay with illegal things?

>> No.5541510

>>5541480
tl;dr nerds are insufferable assholes. Really, this is one of the few hobbies where when someone doesn't understand something the response isn't to help them, or even mock them in good fun, no it's outright hostile derision for us. Directions and FAQs are a JOKE, but some guys love it because then their "elite emulation knowledge" is kept to their little cliques.

If we were car fags no one would fall silent and not give good advice if an anon wanted to put seatbelts into a car in which it would be inappropriate for the period. No, they'd get good advice in-triplicate, but because of ASSHOLE NERDS (the true toxic community) every newbie or guy with an average amount of knowledge will always wane because lol fuggem.

Some of you need to get a life; if you're not going to be helpful, please, shut the fuck up. Furthermore I sincerely pray that the next time you get into anything complicated no one helps you so you can get a taste of your own gay medicine.

>> No.5541512

>>5541480
They could just have the roms list as an external xml file, in which you can add your own custom roms by editing it just like the m1 arcade music player that is based on mame which itself uses an external xml file that can be updated with new roms when they come out.

>> No.5541521

>>5541506
>probably because using mame requires you to do illegal shit
MAME does not require any law-breaking at all. We have the perfect legal right to download ROMs of games that we own for real.
>>5541506
>What kind of people do you think are okay with illegal things?
Most of the world. In my state there are several acts that are totally legal that in other less cool states would send you to prison, nevermind jail.

>> No.5541526

>>5541521
>We have the perfect legal right to download ROMs of games that we own for real.
wrong

>> No.5541532

>>5541506
>What kind of people do you think are okay with illegal things?
Tons of people. No matter how much you whine about what's illegal, the fact is that the majority of people do not actually allow the law to dictate their morality and will do illegal things which they know won't actually harm other people.

>> No.5541538

>>5541526
Yes, we do, anon, We also may download THEM ALL so long as it's for historical purposes AND you're doing research, which some of us do. Man, I'm a walking museum of arcade knowledge, but because I didn't suck up to a MAME dev suddenly I know jack shit huh?

>> No.5541541

>>5541532
ok. Capcom just put out a Street Fighter collection and SNK put out a collection, yet people are talking about qsound emulation. I'm sure everyone has dumped their own qsound rom from their legally owned boards?

>> No.5541542
File: 111 KB, 888x1168, dems da rules byeee.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5541542

>>5541526
What does pic related say, smiley?

>> No.5541549

>>5541541
My post literally just said that people ignore the law in favor of their own morality, so your question makes no sense as a response to my post.

>> No.5541553

ITT butthurt hypocritical* MAME devs who forget that some games are public domain and are totally legal.
*You guys own less actual games than anyone in the hobby, so you lecture others on muh law breaking, but how did you get the games working? How do you know they work? Exactly, fucking hypocrites.

>> No.5541554

>>5541549
>which they know won't actually harm other people
so people working at capcom and snk don't qualify as people?

>> No.5541567

>>5541554
Your post makes even less sense than their post. You must be a MAME dev.

>> No.5541576

>>5541554
No, it's just that emulating their game doesn't actually harm them.

>> No.5541584

>>5540687
>Trying to reason with people who call an operating system "homosexual degeneracy"

>> No.5541595

>>5541584
That post was the best one in the thread and it makes me laugh every time I read it. Learn about delivery and word choice, anon.

>> No.5541820

>release 2 versions
>Mame stable is updated 1 time per year
>Mame beta is uptated every time a new rom/feature/chip/anyshit comes.
>you just need to uptate your roms one time per year, if necessary
>everybody is happy

Why is so hard to implement this?

>> No.5541831

>>5540560
>playing games is a side effect.

>M.ultiple
>A.rcade
>M.achine
>E.MULATOR

>> No.5541851

>>5541510
You act as if keeping an up to date mame romset is secret hidden knowledge known only to a few select people and the devs themselves. Just googling the words "updating mame romset" is enough to give you a dozen tutorials. I gladly mock those too fucking lazy to google a simple answer that everyone else has absolutely no issue doing. The reason people don't want to spoonfeed is because there is an endless stream of people demanding to be spoonfed and no amount of tutorials written will change that. If the lazy cunts won't bother to read the dozens of tutorials already a quick search away, what good will it do to write one more?

I didn't get my romset by making stupid "How I into MAME?" threads, I just googled the fucking answer. Hmm, what's with all these different rom versions? Better google it. Oh, that's why! Hmm, I wonder if there is a better program for checking my roms than clrmamepro? Better google it. What do you know, there is better programs. Amazing! It's almost like the internet is capable of giving you information if you bother to seek it out! See what putting a few seconds of effort into it gets you? That's why I have an up to date romset, and you are screaming that people are being mean and not spoonfeeding you fast enough.

>> No.5541898

>>5541851
>You act as if keeping an up to date mame romset is secret hidden knowledge known only to a few select people and the devs themselves. Just googling the words "updating mame romset" is enough to give you a dozen tutorials.
It wasn't that way just a few years ago, and surely not ten years ago or more. I am responsible for putting the pieces together, not some jaggoff dev douche who thinks they're owed so much that they think it's ok to be obtuse.

>> No.5541953

>>5541820
because they're not going to maintain two versions of MAME so you can have easier time pirating complete romsets

>> No.5541975

>>5541898
>It wasn't that way just a few years ago
Page 1 of the results links to a forum of someone asking how to update back in 2010, and getting linked to a video tutorial and a written tutorial. Why post shit that can be proven false within seconds?
>surely not ten years ago or more
We aren't talking about how things were ten years ago, when those two previously mentioned tutorials were available. We're talking about being able to get a romset or update your romset today in 2019. There is no excuse other than lazyness or stupidity with the resources available to anyone connected to the internet.

>> No.5541994

Who cares about upgrading to a new version of Mame when everything that matters already works?

>> No.5542001

>>5541994
Thats not how it works newfriend

>> No.5542031

>>5539789
I could do without the arbitrary renaming and shuffling of existing rom files. Like they will take the exact same set of chips, completely identical rom data, but change their numbering because some autist insists their favorite pcb revision is the definitive one and the chips are in that order on it. Or because the electrical order differs from the physical placement. Or some shit like that.
Improving support is not the problem.

>> No.5542039

>>5541851
>Hmm, I wonder if there is a better program for checking my roms than clrmamepro? Better google it. What do you know, there is better programs.
>implying search results can tell you which ones are better

>> No.5542062

>>5542039
Yeah, you might actually need to look at them for yourself and make some basic observations, like "Does this have a GUI?" Goddamn, 10 seconds of effort really is an insurmountable obstacle for you, isn't it?

>> No.5542069

>>5539376
You are far newer. Thinking that it is "every single time". Except for the 10+ years that wasn't the case until they found out busting stuff fixed other stuff.

This wasn't MAME at all at first. Get educated.

>> No.5542091

>>5542062
>having a GUI means it's better at sorting roms

>> No.5542105

>>5542091
If I need to explain how having a GUI makes filtering roms easier, then you are a brainlet beyond hope.

>> No.5542108

>>5542105
Do you even know how clrmamepro works?

>> No.5542112

>>5542105
>fully automatic filtering vs clicking and dragging hundreds of roms around
u srs?

>> No.5542131

>>5539323
>not wanting every single thing you downloaded to work

>> No.5542152

>>5542108
>Do you even know how clrmamepro works?
Not them, but last time I checked the directions were murky as fuck so I panicked and wired the neighbor's dog's nuts to my PC's PCB. I'm sure it got better, but just within the last several years it was infuriating.

>> No.5542170

>Taito C-chip data finally dumped
>Can finally play these games properly, including Operation Wolf with a big chunk of game that previously never worked or had been seen outside of an actual arcade, including in the official retro releases based on old MAME simulation
>Download MAME that supports it
>New data dumped from boards not mysteriously magically also now on my computer. Have to... DOWNLOAD IT
>Throw tendies at mommy when she comes up to my room asking why I am having a tantrum
FUCK MAMEDEVS AND FUCK UPDATING ROMS

>> No.5542284

>>5539308
Same. I tried to use the ROMs that were available on the IREM Arcade Hits (because the emulation there is shit) and I never could make it work in MAME.

>> No.5542317

The level of entitlement in this thread is hilarious.

>> No.5542349

>>5542317
Some people like to help others.

>> No.5542359

>>5539308
Isn't the whole "accuracy" thing stupid once past getting the visuals, sounds, and timing down pat? I mean, who cares how many cycle of whatever PPU or whatever it's trying to emulate, the whole point is that it works, right? And how can anything be 100% faithful when modern computers are doing all the heavy lifting?

>> No.5542379
File: 1.26 MB, 310x200, +.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5542379

>>5540574
>using 151 and not 64k

>> No.5542730

>>5541484
It creates a pseudo surround sound effect in stereo space. That's pretty much it.

>> No.5542810

>>5540593
fuck the updates. half the new roms are slot machines. who the fuck thought that was a good idea? they belong with pinmame

>> No.5542814

>>5540687
my mame cab ia running winxp with mame 1.49 i believe. nobodys thats plays on it ever tells me what its missing

>> No.5542841

>>5541143
>>5541152
>>5541164
>deluded romhoarders

>> No.5542865

>>5542814
either you hang out with boomers who only care about 80s shit or you hang out with zoomers who don't know what an arcade is.

>> No.5543818

>>5541526
True

>>5541538
False

>>5541542
Dumb

>> No.5543826

>>5541553
>some games are public domain and are totally legal
Falling into the public domain requires active release of the copyright by the holder. Even when the holder can't be identified, dies, or refuses any action, simple inaction is not enough for works still covered by copyright due to age to fall into PD. And guess what, all video games ever made are still not old enough to have expired copyrights.

If you want to play PD games, go ahead and look for some actual PD games. Just understand what PD really means if you're going to talk about them.

>> No.5543852

>>5543818
>Dumb
Everyone knows you are, yes.

>>5543818
>False
18+

>> No.5543854

>>5543826
>Falling into the public domain requires active release of the copyright by the holder.
Nope. That's just not true.

>> No.5543883

>>5543852
False

>>5543854
False

>> No.5543994

>>5543883
You are a gigantic faggot that even the devil doesn't love because you're wrong. I researched all of this crap when you were in kindergarten.

>> No.5544157

>>5542359
>the whole point is that it works, right?

if you want that why not download FinalBurnAlpha? sure there's no sound in Mortal Kombat and Tetris TGM runs at 0 fps - who cares about accuracy, the only thing that matters is the game just "works"

>> No.5544391

>>5544157
>if you want that why not download FinalBurnAlpha? sure there's no sound in Mortal Kombat

I have FBA on my modded Wii and MK1 seems to work fine, that's through Retroarch too.

>> No.5544397

>>5540574
I use .deb LiGNUx bistros because old and reliable is nice :-)

Ubuntu on my desktop, Debian on my server actually on Windows more often because Nvidia Linux drivers can't do 2D motion without issues and everything is ugly anyway

>> No.5544412

>>5539323
>Or all your a rom hoarder who needs the full set to work at all times?

Yes. Talk shit about bing bing wahoo all you want but every time a new Nintendo emulator comes out I can use the same roms I had from 10 years ago. Not even Byuu was autistic enough to make you keep downloading them again and again you just had to clean them once with an automated tool and that was it.

>> No.5544431

>>5541152
WTFrick are you on about? We all buy legitimate arcade boards and dump them ourselves to play legally on MAME

>> No.5544435

>>5539308
>Overwriting a working build of MAME with the newest version instead of installing it in a separate folder for testing purposes
Imagine being this guy.

>> No.5544461

I run about six different builds of MAME on my emulation setup, as certain ROMs require newer or older versions; I mostly use a build a few years old for most of the MAME stuff though.
Using a frontend like Hyperspin lets you specify which emulator to use for each ROM.

>> No.5544496

>>5544461
>certain ROMs require newer or older versions
No they don't
The only reason to use old MAMEs is because you were dumb enough to buy a Raspberry Pi

>> No.5544510

>>5543826
>>5541554
These companies (not people) already got paid for their product. Why should they get paid again and again from every individual who play their games many years after? I could legally resell their games for a higher price so others could do it a again so every one could play as much without them profiting, or even let others rent from me and get more money they did creating it. That is called free market. You can legally harm them and make more money by doing so. The point is that the ones who made the game are the least benefited why the publishers and sellers make the most of the money

>> No.5544546
File: 648 KB, 1051x711, 1530247123320.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5544546

Where can I find an updated and complete set via torrent where I can choose the games I want? All I found were full packs divided into several parts. I do not intend to download 80 GB just to play just over 40/50 games.

>> No.5544590

>>5543994
Time for a refresher course, old man river. Pay attention and try not to flunk out this time.

>> No.5544701

>>5544510
>I could legally resell their games for a higher price so others could do it a again so every one could play as much without them profiting, or even let others rent from me and get more money they did creating it. That is called free market.
No, it's called right of first sale. And the fact that we can do any of that is protected by copyright law, the same laws that restrict unauthorized duplication and distribution.

As for the value of the developer-publisher-retailer-consumer relationship, you either understand and respect the dynamic as someone who loves games, or you don't.

>> No.5544751

>>5544590
Fuck off, you're still wrong. Nothing has changed.

>> No.5544758

>>5544751
False

>> No.5544760

>>5544758
True

>> No.5544767

>>5544760
True

>> No.5544769

^^ITT seething arcade cab sellers and extremely mixed up ROM hoarders.

>> No.5544778

>>5544546
Halp

>> No.5544789

>>5544701
>copyright law
This law does not apply everywhere. Here in my country people keep selling your stuff 5 times more expensive with high taxes included. In the end I can do whatever I want with what I paid for because my country allows me to own 100 %, they are already getting enough money in taxes, so they don't give a fuck about what big companies in richer countries think
>As for the value of the developer-publisher-retailer-consumer relationship, you either understand and respect the dynamic as someone who loves games, or you don't.
I only respect those who made the game, preserved or shared them not the ones who scored out of it just by labelling a price and making laws of how I should use it.

>> No.5544798

Every single person in this thread that has lectured others on copyright law and ROMs has all the ROMs downloaded and desperately wants to be elite somehow, someway. *big exhale*

>> No.5544819

>>5544789
So you don't get that publishers allow developers to eat and live indoors in exchange for creating games, or that not even 5% of all these retro games you love would exist if not for publishers paying developers to make them?

Ever watch an American awards show? Winning musicians, actors, whatever, the actual voices and faces that everyone associates with some creative piece like a song or movie, they always thank their producers. The simple mind thinks of those guys as just the money-grubbing do-nothings who profit from other people's work, but that's the nature of any big business: somebody paying other people to do work because they'll make even more money from it. And they should receive legal protection for their rights to do it, like anyone.

>>5544798
Relax, teaching intellectual property law to gaymurrs is just a way to kill time for me, I don't really expect anyone to change how they get their endorphin kicks. I know nobody here cares about understanding the laws they break every day.

>> No.5544842

>>5544819
>publishers paying developers to make them
That's what the problem is. Someone paying someone paying someone. And the last one who gets paid tells you shouldn't get paid to copy and resell it wich is exactly what they did. And why are not the developers the ones paying publishers instead? Why can't we pay devs directly? If you don't pay directly to the source is just another form of piracy.

>> No.5544876

We could have a nice thread about MAME but instead we get trash.

>> No.5544878

>>5544819
>Relax, teaching intellectual property law to gaymurrs is just a way to kill time for me, I don't really expect anyone to change how they get their endorphin kicks.

Fine, but I can download any game I want from the Internet so long as I own a physical copy and that is not up for debate. I realize that Nintendo feels very differently, but they're wrong, as based as they usually may be.

>> No.5544884

>>5544842
>problem
I don't see a problem there.

>>5544878
No, that's completely wrong. You need to study fair use.

>> No.5544885

>>5544876
what you don't like armchair lawyers going head to head?

>> No.5544905

>>5544884
>No, that's completely wrong. You need to study fair use.

18+

>> No.5544914

>>5544905
What's that, the number of times you're willing to be wrong about it before walking away from the thread just as confused as ever?

Go study fair use.

>> No.5544958

>>5539308
>update emulator
>mame
idiot

>> No.5544973

>>5544461
This is on a PC running Win 7
Some updates break games that ran fine on Earlier builds. better to have an older version until the issue gets resolved in a future release.
Some unofficial builds support features not present in current MAME (analog MAME)
a MAME install doesn't take up much space, so if a game runs fine, I don't bother updating.
Additional MAME builds can be installed right along side them if they're needed for new titles, and if it runs a certain game better, it's easy to switch it over to the new version. Since they're run through the frontend, nobody notices.

>> No.5544993

>>5544884
>No, that's completely wrong. You need to study fair use.
I'll take "What is a Backup" for 100, Alex.

>> No.5545251

>>5544914
Go study for your driver's test.

>> No.5545253

>>5544958
t. Mr. Mitchell

>> No.5545281
File: 145 KB, 728x754, 8nqtullycan21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5545281

need some feedbacks. had to put up a eula for the rom archives so I could get this on the legit boards.
let me know if its working for you.

http://romjacket.github.io

>> No.5545283

>>5540687
>letting m$ cuck you into using xinput
beta af

>> No.5545378

>>5544993
"The letter of the law"

Don't just see the word "backup" and turn your brain off. *STUDY* fair use. If you're the guy claiming to be old as dirt, how have you survived this long being so obtuse?

>> No.5545470

>>5545378
You can study anything you want, but it doesn't make your assertion true.

>> No.5545496

>>5545470
Any assertion based on the letter of the law is the default correct assertion according to the law. And ignorance of the law is never an excuse to break it.

S T U D Y fair use.

>> No.5545528

>>5544973
Dude, MAME changes ROMsets on almost every new release. Try to pipe down if you have no idea what you're talking about. If an update doesn't work with the ROMset you have, a further update is only going to break it further. Literally the only thing you can do is try to fix your ROMset with CLRmamepro.

>> No.5545529

>>5545283
>I don't use the standard interface for controllers cuz le cuk XD
Man, there are some stupid shits on this site, but you stand out.

>> No.5545531

>>5545496
The letter of the law says that I can download any old game I want so long as I either own it already or am doing a research paper on it. Not joking.

>> No.5545534

>>5544412
And even he gave up on that one. higan still has the stupid library, but bsnes will run anything. MAME makes up their own formats for everything and won't run anything not on it's database.

>> No.5545540

>>5545528
Not them, but that is so ass-backwards. The game data, henceforth known as ROMs, should not change at all, correct? So the emulator should be the only thing to change, so the devs are just autistis once again.

>> No.5545568

>>5540709
what about arcade audio emulation in general? it's really bad

>> No.5545571

>>5544391
other MK games don't have sound

>> No.5545574

>>5545540
you seem to be under impression that arcade roms work like regular console games, as in data is one long string of data.

no it's not, the data is spread among multiple chips that might be used by CPU or even other hardware. if MAME devs don't know which data goes where, they will make an assumption that just "works". but if further research shows that the assumption is wrong, or there's additional data that needs to be dumped, both the emulator and rom needs to be modified.

>> No.5545591

>>5545574
I see, but they should just make it work, I don't care if some transistor isn't being emulated. I read of devs constantly lamenting some "hack" that makes the game work, but if it works, it works, right?

>> No.5545639
File: 7 KB, 236x214, 1551421664969.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5545639

>>5545591
I personal don't deny they should offer compatibility with older ROM dumps on newer versions, Final Burn Alpha was kinda like that in the distant past, now recently they are using Mame ROM dumps on turned into Mame super lite, tough games like Item's Perfect Soldier had graphical errors on the backgrounds per example, KOF98 UM Hero (Chinese release) doesn't work along with the Arcade MKs.

If name needed to be that everytume gets updated ROMS need new dumps, then at the very least they should make it so that previous games that worked well remain well and don't fucked them up. the whole 1 step forwards,52 backwards is bad

pic

>> No.5545647

>>5539308
Don't forget

>finding the up to date romsets
>finding and decipher which games are due to the names changes of the ROMs
>making sure they are merged
>download the CHDs also up to date.
>BEFORE SHITENDO TAKES THEM DOWN

>> No.5545650

>>5545531
>download
Anon, no. Even ignoring the 99.9999999% of all rom downloads not involving already owned games or tenuous "research" claims, it's not true.

You're allowed to make your own copies of a copyrighted work that you own, IOW dump your own roms or rip your own discs, and you can't keep the backups if your ownership ever changes. Distribution (sharing and obtaining) of unauthorized copyrighted works is illegal regardless of who owns a copy.

Educational and research exemptions only apply to very specific cases. Copyright law fully describes both intent and amount of usage when determining when fair use. Museums can completely forbid photography for copyright reasons, for example, even for educational or journalistic purposes. There's no exemption that gives anyone the right to go "fuck nah, I'm snapping a photo anyway because I need to write a paper on this shit" without permission. And that's not even for a complete or even "bit accurate" reproduction. Same for concerts forbidding recordings. The law doesn't allow just everything and anything to be reproduced for research purposes, creative works are special protected cases, and there are even special provisions just for software.

>> No.5545663

>>5545650
>fully describes
*fully considers

>> No.5545716

>>5545647
>>finding the up to date romsets
private trackers
do some research
it's a pain to get into them from scratch, but once you do, you'll have everything you could ever want, whenever you want it.

>> No.5545719

So basically, I have all the arcade roms I'll ever want, and they all work with both FBA and MAME, and I have zero reason to update either right now.
Why do other people have trouble with MAME again?

>> No.5545748

Just get Fightcade 2 and its romset and run it all from the emulator. There's a bit less flexibility with the settings, but if you're a mongoloid that has problems updating then it's right up your alley anyways.

>> No.5545775

>>5545591
depending on how MAME works it might be impossible. MAME has hardware elements implemented separately and then they have driver file that puts the stuff together just like how real hardware would be put together. actually trying to make roms into simple files to make piracy easier would make emulation even more complicated and MAME supports thousands of different hardware configurations.

MAME doesn't care about how easy you want it to work. they only care about making the game work as close to original as possible. MAME devs aren't your girlfriends, they're not here to entertain you with old games. you need to take the emulator and configure it yourself to suit your needs.

>> No.5545776

>>5545639
read >>5545574

they won't make roms backward compatible because the old rom is fundamentally wrong. you're asking bunch of people who write emulator for free to make their work 100x harder because you can't even be bothered to pirate the new roms and you demand them to support multitude of faulty ROM revisions so you can plug&play your illegal copy you downloaded several years ago

>> No.5546060

>>5545531
>The letter of the law
Is that one of those big plastic "L"s with a magnet in the back? You're seriously embarrassing yourself kiddo. You don't even know what law you're pretending to have read the letters of.

>> No.5546190

>>5545716
>private trackers
no one uses that shit. put that shit on rutracker like a normal person

>> No.5546223

>>5544412
you have no idea how mame works. you're missing files because the copies of ROMs you have were bad dumps or missing stuff to begin with. do you even know how MAME works or is shitposting and crying all you can do? nothing wrong with MAME, but there's plenty wrong with you and your out of date collection. update your ROMS and stop crying.

>> No.5546226

>>5539308
see: >>5546223

>> No.5546334

>>5546060
Fucking end your life.

>> No.5546338

>>5545775
>they only care about making the game work as close to original as possible.

That's a pile of bullshit since a modern PCs emulating arcade games from the mid-to-late '70s and '80s are in no way "close to the original" in terms of physical hardware AND performance because guess what? Robotron still runs too fast, while others are still inaccurate, y'know why? Because they got it wrong! As usual.

/Robotron on MAME is HARDER

>> No.5546340

>>5545650
>Anon, no.
Yes, nigger!

>> No.5546350

>>5545650
>Copyright law fully describes both intent and amount of usage when determining when fair use.
No it does not, liar. I am convinced that you're just a hoarder who somehow wants to increase the value of their babies.

>>5545650
>Museums can completely forbid photography for copyright reasons, for example, even for educational or journalistic purposes.
And they're breaking the law. If it's open to the public, pictures can be taken.

>>5545650
>Same for concerts forbidding recordings.
Fuck those people too. I'll take video of anywhere I am legally allowed to be. Period.

>> No.5546352

>>5544546
>>5544778
beggars can't be choosers

>> No.5546360

MAME devs are a special kind of autistic, breaking games just so something that doesn't affect the game can be "emulated." Now, I do appreciate much of their work, but if any of you are here, just know that no one cares about what you're doing at this point, we just want the games to work and sound the same as the arcade, which rarely happens-because the only way to get the real experience is to have a real arcade cabinet.

>> No.5546361

>>5546350
False

>> No.5546362

>>5546361
You're going to be banned if you keep making childish one reply "no u!" posts, kiddo.

>> No.5546381

>>5546362
Are you announcing your reports right there, whitebeard? Angrily denying the truth doesn't deserve any better. Anyway your report threat worked, later d00dz! Stay defiantly ignorant, rock and roll!

Gamer children.

>> No.5546382

>>5546338
>y'know

>> No.5546389

Again, every single poster that is against downloading games does it even more than you. And it's apparent that I am the only person here who actually has read and studied copyright law pertaining to ancient arcade ROMs-tl;dr if you're seriously trying to preserve the past, you can do what you want.

>> No.5546515

ITT: tech-illiterate boomers can't rtfm
>>5546338
>they got it wrong!!!!!!!!
the game timing has been pretty on par since 0.145u2, which was released 7 years ago now. I watched video footage of actual hardware and then compared it in mame, i bet you could never fucking tell the difference between real hardware and mame unless somebody told you.

>> No.5546541

>>5546515
t. guy who has never met any of the real champions who know the difference

>> No.5546598

>>5546541
but can you?
if you play the game on an LCD monitor running at the wrong refresh rate with a set of controls that is different and there have been no settings changed to bring latency down, obviously it will be inferior. but the software runs so closely for a lot of people that its quite serviceable, especially since the real deal is not cheap.
if you can find me a RECENT resource where high-level robotron players outline the issues in mame compared to real hardware, i'd love to read it.

>> No.5546761

>>5546541
>t. guy who has never met any of the real champions who know the difference
It's open source software. Just fix it.

>> No.5546836
File: 54 KB, 860x960, 1433327780658.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5546836

>95% of rom sites down because Nintendo
>those left over have sets of 13 years ago
>torrents of 80 GB splits on 150 parts
>all that to play just 30 titles

Give me a break, for God's sake.

>> No.5546867

>>5546836
bullshit. You would think sites by now would have a script setup that would automatically pull all Nintendo roms at a moments notice.

>> No.5546889

>>5546867
i have a hashlist for every publisher

>> No.5547021

>>5540560
Don't drink Haze's kool-aid.
Constant ROM renaming is anti-preservation. It's very rare that you need newly dumped roms, they just can't settle on what to name the files.

worse, MAME's built-in frontend checks for all roms in the chain of parent sets, rather than those you need for the set you want -- you can boot the game from command line and it won't talk about any missing files.

>> No.5547024 [DELETED] 

>>5539308
Just update your pleasuredome torrent lol

it's freeleech

>> No.5547095

>>5547021
Anyone who's seen a real arcade machine knows that if you open them there is a cartridge inside. When a machine goes wrong you have to blow on it, like a NES. All these cartidges have one file inside them, like a NES. When MAME has new ROMs for old games, it's a lie, a cheat. You know who did this cheat? The jews.

>> No.5547096

>>5547095
18+ and you're not funny

>> No.5547151

What is a good entry level arcade stick for dicking around on MAME? I don't need some crazy $1000 fight stick.

>> No.5547160

>>5547151
>stick for dicking
Bruh...

>> No.5547161

>>5547151
X-Arcade sticks are ready made and set to plug into PCBs of their making that are compatible with adapters (that they also make) for just about any video game system from the sixth generation (Gamecube) on. And they sell individual parts so that you can do you own thing too. https://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-joysticks/products/x-arcade-tankstick-trackball-usb-included

>> No.5547164

^And yeah, they're compatible with your PC and any MAME version you'd want to use with your sticks.

>> No.5547165

>>5547161
>X-Arcade
get that boomer shit out of here. I have no idea how that shit ever got popular.

>> No.5547170

>>5547165
Be more jealous, I enjoy it. :D

>> No.5547212

>>5547095
i think your mistaking the masters of the weather with gremlins. there are no cheats involved. it's ALWAYS engineered oriental obsolescence. We used to have steel components in everything

>> No.5547248

>>5547161
That thing is cool and all but do you know of anything a little cheaper and smaller? I don't really need a 2p set-up as I have no friends that want to play this kind of thing. I'm just basically going to be playing Shinobi.

>> No.5547252

>>5547248
You don't have to go with them or that model, but that company and many others sell individual parts, anon, so you don't need to buy an extra anything. Here's another site: https://www.arcaderenovations.com/suzo-happ-arcade-parts.html

>> No.5547259

>>5547248
>I'm just basically going to be playing Shinobi.

Oh and excellent taste, anon. I never beat that one, but it's fun trying. My favorite boss is the helicopter, and I still can't get a perfect on the bonus stage every time, it seems a bit random.

>> No.5547275

>>5547259
I've never beat it either despite some effort. I've been playing with a 360 controller but it doesn't feel legit to me, I want to be able to walk up to this cabinet in the wild and be competent at it. That's my whole reason for this.

>> No.5547278

>>5547275
>I want to be able to walk up to this cabinet in the wild

Good luck, I haven't seen one since the early '90s and they all are lacking sound at this point unless they've been modded.

>> No.5547282 [DELETED] 

>>5547275
*Though I am sure you'll fine one at one of the high-end arcades here and there, but I usually never see it in operation. If you record yourself beating it (if you can) you'd be a hero or sorts.

>> No.5547285

>>5547275
*Though I am sure you'll find one at one of the high-end arcades here and there, but I usually never see it in operation. If you record yourself beating it (if you can) you'd be a hero of sorts.

You tend to never see E-SWAT anymore too. SEGA needs more love.

>> No.5547291

>>5547285
Yeah, I like E-SWAT too. And Shadow Dancer. It's a shame they're on the rare side, I like those kind of games, I guess they're Rolling Thunder-likes? I don't know.

>> No.5547371

>>5546334
>being this BTFO
lol

>> No.5547391

>>5539308
Is it so taxing to download every monthly update? You do realize that you only have to update maybe 3 or 4 ROMS with every MAME revision, right?

>> No.5547420

>>5547391
>Is it so taxing to download every monthly update?
Why would someone want to do that every month? I just make notes of what games have to work with what version of MAME and move on, so I have maybe 3 or 4 versions of MAME total, and I've been using it since 2005.

>> No.5547429

>>5547291
>And Shadow Dancer. It's a shame they're on the rare side, I like those kind of games, I guess they're Rolling Thunder-likes? I don't know.

SD is amazing too, though I prefer the Genesis version, and yeah they're Rolling Thunder-likes, which is a good way of putting it, same jumping mechanic.

>> No.5547489

>>5547420
What are you going to do when the ROM sites get shut down? I mean, there are maybe half a dozen sites with regularly updated arcade ROMs left, and that number is probably gonna to shrink to maybe two, the way things are going. That is why you shouldn't miss out on the latest version of any MAME emulator.

>> No.5547505

>>5547489
>What are you going to do when the ROM sites get shut down
Cltwtfevermamepro? At any rate, it's unlikely that all sites are going away soon. Fingers crossed. You make a good point, though and I should prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

>> No.5547628

>>5540560
>PLAYING GAMES IS A SIDE EFFECT
Imagine believing this.

>> No.5547631

>>5540574
Newer versions are better emulated.
Like for example that Sunset Riders bug was finally fixed recently.

>> No.5547635

>>5545529
xinput is a fucking meme though
wish everything supported rawinput and would just get the fuck out of my face

>> No.5547637

>>5545568
It's pretty good actually but you need a mega powerful PC to run it at low latency via ASIO.

>> No.5547641

>>5541186
Or just don't do this retarded shit and just update every 6 months or every year.
It's not that hard.

>> No.5547647

>>5547391
>on PD tracker for mame
>miss one update
>uh oh we won't let you torrent the update for 207 -> 208 because the 208 -> 209 update is newer!
>gotta delete and retorrent the entire set
then again maybe PD is shit because I was seeding for days and not a single byte got uploaded from my machine

>> No.5547648

>>5541526
Retard.
We have the right to download anything we please(outside of CP).
It's the uploading part where the legal issues lie.

>> No.5547656

>>5541953
More like they want you to keep going back to their site for that precious ad revenue but ok.

>> No.5547663

>>5543826
>It's a kike publisher trying to trick us not to play free games
Better luck next time retard

>> No.5547672

>>5544819
>or that not even 5% of all these retro games you love would exist if not for publishers paying developers to make them?
Nice lie schlomo piece of shit.
Most retro games were published by the devs themselves back in the day.

>> No.5547680

>>5545650
Shut the fuck up already you faggot wannabe lawyer cuck.

>> No.5547683

>>5547647
>download .torrent for latest fullset
>point it to your fullset directory
>torrent client grabs changed chunks
wow, that was hard!
i have a ratio with at least 0.5 for every set and my internet isn't that fast, perhaps you haven't got your client setup properly.

>> No.5547694

>>5545776
I wish some people weren't such faggots and at least would make some romsets for some older versions for weaker hardware though.
Not talking about MAMEdevs here, I'm talking about the pirates.

>> No.5547704

>>5545716
>private trackers
So that's what cancer is called nowadays?

>> No.5547710

>>5546361
Kill yourself.

>> No.5547720

>>5547151
Just go with a Sanwa stick.
This is what they used in Japanese arcades and they only cost you 20 bucks.
The american/euro equivalent(forget the name) is good too and costs about as much.

These are the best you can get.
Expensive sticks are a meme for dumb niggers.

>> No.5547767

>>5539376
Damn they redump 1000's of arcade boards for every new version of mame? No? Then why the fuck do they need to be updated?

>> No.5547815

>>5546190
>>5547704

>>5546836

>> No.5547930

>>5546350
>if i double down on stupid enough times ill eventually beat the house
That's not the way it works here kiddo

>> No.5547937

Can anyone contact HBMAME? I wanted to dump these Lode Runner hacks off on them.
http://aclr.main.jp/7_edit/index-list.html

>> No.5548186

>>5547641
its not worth updating your entire collection just to get some new mahjong game working
for instance the amount of unneeded changes the neogeo set has gotten over the years is just silly

>> No.5548336

>>5546598
I'll do you one better. Go experience it yourself: Pick up an MVS board and Metal Slug cart. Yes, I expect you to put a little money into this, but these are cheap these days. Run the mvs board and play the game. then switch to an emulator also connected to a CRT. the timings are different. I'm not saying it's a big deal, I'm saying it's still there and it's a thing.

>> No.5548343

>>5547096
I laughed quite heartily, anon. The jews are always behind cheats. I'm pretty sure the Game Genie was the invention of one as well.

>> No.5548361

>>5542865
the former

>> No.5548660

>>5547930
Be angry more, I like it.

>> No.5549142

my mamecab is running win XP with mamewah frontend and mame version 149. whats the best/highest version if mame i could (have) got this up to if not changing anything other than mame?

>> No.5549194

>>5539847
>Mario Kart GP
let me guess, it doesn't boot

>> No.5549195

>>5544546
Go to pleasuredome and find the non-merged torrent

>> No.5549240

>>5549194
It is on triforce hardware that is so similar to gamecube it can be run on a wii interestingly enough.

>> No.5550427
File: 92 KB, 220x360, Ralph_Wiggum.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5550427

>>5548660
>people laugh at me because they're angry

>> No.5551008
File: 260 KB, 1920x1080, mame.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5551008

FOR GOD'S SAKE, I PLAYED THIS 2 MONTHS AGO.

>> No.5551019

>>5551008
is there not a good dump of the neogeo bios?

>> No.5551040

>>5551019
Was good 2 months ago.

>> No.5551054

>>5551040
well enjoy your new neogeo bios

>> No.5551165

>>5549142
0.207 is the latest version of mame that can be run on windows xp using an official build, in 208 they changed their toolchain they use to compile for windows. note that you have to grab the 32-bit binary for XP, and in my experience you may also have to change the video renderer.

>> No.5552413

>>5551165
i may have to change the video renderer for mame builds past 207?
i was thinking about updating but i got so much shit working pretty good rite now. we mainly play 80s games and a handful of 90s games. mayhap i should just keep it as it is?

>> No.5552894

>>5539308
The short version: MAME developers are retarded control freaks.

The long version: MAME's client doesn't allow you to load anything that's not on their whitelist they keep updating each revision.

There is a trend in emulator development recently that users are idiots and have to put up with user-unfriendly aspects and shut up;
- refusal to merge in progress forks that would greatly improve performance, add new features, or support previously unplayable games, even as experimental features, citing an absolutist view on "accuracy"
- horrible coding practices that result in emulators for 30 yo hardware struggling on mid end hardware, like bsnes whose performance is such a joke even byuu wised up as it became clear it held up progress on features like latency removal, rewind, texture replacement...

So developers actively ignore those concerns, give blatant misinformation to anyone who asks ("Just recompile it from source with the newly calculated checksums for the new dumps, oh i forgot that's inconvenient, sucks to be you haha, just get a full romset you sucker, have one already? just get a diff layer huge ass torrent in time for each version and once you miss one redownload the whole thing")

"preservation"

Like the SegaSonic puzzler they removed from their whitelist and only works through a fork? "You can only play the party approved dumps" gee what could go wrong? Fewer things are worse (like emulators with telemetry)

So here's the scoop: Those old "bad dumps" missing files that worked in older versions work just fine.
You need to load them using either:
- MAME UI, or similar tools
- Retroarch (yes)
- MAME in command line mode, NOT its default GUI

You probably still have to update the bios files but it's a much smaller download.
This works for mods as well, just repackage them in a zip with the same original name.

>> No.5552896

>>5552894
That's not to say the problem won't repeat itself in the future. MAME developers have been upset at other forks (especially retroarch) for not implementing their same shit (the compatibility disclaimer you have to turn off at startup that can't really be skipped, AND the audited dump thing) and they're starting to get fork authors to "comply" so you have more of the same.

So get a modern RA MAME core, or MAME version, and stick to it just in case this happens.

>> No.5552965

>>5552894
>users are idiots
>proceeds to detail what an idiot he is
top kek

>> No.5553036
File: 25 KB, 433x380, 1424092484815.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5553036

While we're at it, does anyone know if a version of MAME able to run the two games developed by Altron, Danchi de Hanafuda and Danchi de Quiz?
Bothof them end up freezing with the audio looping as soon as you start playing, and the only way of preventing that is playing on the oldest BIOS possible...which unfortunately doesn't accept any input.

I've tried downloading a billion versions of the roms, it never makes any difference, and the stall points are always exactly the same.
Hanafuda stalls on the title, on the last syllable of the title being read out.
Quiz stalls on the first h-scene, on the first syllable of the voice line.

The extremely specific stall points makes me believe these might be anti-piracy measures, but I have no idea how to solve this.

>> No.5553264

>>5552894
>MAME's client doesn't allow you to load anything that's not on their whitelist they keep updating each revision.
That's because arcade machines are by and large bespoke pieces of hardware. How the fuck else would it know which of the several thousand arcade games with radically different hardware you were trying to load other than check against a predetermined list? It's not one size fits all like a SNES emulator where in theory every game is in the same and will just run, it needs to identify very specific properties to make certain games work at all.
>refusal to merge in progress forks that would greatly improve performance
Which supressed forks of MAME "greatly improve performance"? I'm very keen to try this out. Is it DexterMAME?
>Like the SegaSonic puzzler they removed from their whitelist and only works through a fork?
This is a legit criticism. It's literally the exact same situation as Akka Arrh, a game was leaked from a hoarder, but because the hoarder in question was a "good boy" supposedly locked in some complex game of autism with bigger nip hoarders it was bad and memory holed.
>So here's the scoop: Those old "bad dumps" missing files that worked in older versions work just fine.
No, they don't. They're bad dumps, by definition they are not "fine".
There are legit problems with MAME but it's not worth discussing them here as it's just morons who don't understand why it has to work the way it does and their rage at having to be proficient at using search engines.

>> No.5553269

>>5553036
I know the answer but I'm not gonna tell it to an anime poster
Fag

>> No.5553302

>>5553264
>bespoke
someone needs to lay off the digital foundry

>> No.5553339

>>5553269
Daily reminder that this is an anime website and you anime haters are unwanted outsiders.

>> No.5553368

>>5553036
Neither game worked with the latest version of MAME I have (200)
But both seemed to work fine with 2 other versions I have, 135 and 163
Although I couldn't play much because I don't understand the game and can't read Japanese
It didn't seem to matter which rom set and stvbios I used
I tried the roms and stvbios from the 200 rom set with MAME 135 and it seemed to work fine

>> No.5553369

>>5553339
Keep telling yourself that weeblet

>> No.5553382

>>5547767
I think some of those are request from developers to stop emulation of their games and mame devs agree on it.
I know what those arcade tetris games are not playable on the latest mame.

>> No.5553393

>>5553369
It is objective fact, newfag.

>> No.5553395

>>5553369
You have to go back, filthy normie.

>> No.5553403

>>5544546
Pleasuredome you dumb Nadeshiko, my wife Chiaki knows how to play MAME

>> No.5553612
File: 87 KB, 636x900, _tenryuu_kantai_collection_drawn_by_mikoyan_b664ad28efcec17ca9dfacfc846d67d9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5553612

Has anyone tried Virtual On Oratorio Tangram on MAME? How well does it run? What are they using in this video to get it to play so well?

https://youtu.be/B--R2k2BrXg

>> No.5553685

I just download the entire thing every like, 50 versions or so, if that. Depends on whether it's really worth it for the kind of shit I wanna play.

Also I add it to launchbox because fuck you I like it better for that kinda shit. The modern layout MAME has is weird to me.

>> No.5553693

>>5553612
Not MAME
too slow

>> No.5553762

>>5553612
>What are they using in this video to get it to play so well?
Probably Supermodel the Model 3 emulator as that supports widescreens.

>> No.5553804

>>5553612
Supermodel

>> No.5554407

>>5553393
>>5553395
seething weebs had their website hijacked by b

>> No.5554425

>>5554407
keep larping nigra

>> No.5554442

>>5553393
>>5553395
>seething weeblets unironically tell their elders to go back
lol

>> No.5554489

>>5539323
>is literally a kid who thinks 10 years doesn't go by in the blink of an eye.

>> No.5554495

>>5547095
>When MAME has new ROMs for old games, it's a lie, a cheat.
The vast majority of version issues do not involve previously undumped roms or newly dumped roms, they come from the files needing to be renamed. No file data is changing. Shit, the checksums aren't even changing.

Why they need to be renamed repeatedly over twenty years remains a mystery.
The names typically reflect the position of the IC on the board or specific part numbers.

Also, the situation is particularly retarded regarding the Neo Geo, because MAME's default front-end will bitch if the Unibios ROMS aren't present (you know, the nice homebrewed BIOS you can burn for your Neo to add quality of life features like quick reset, cheats, home mode switching, etc).
You've got the official SNK BIOS, you've got all the game data, but MAME is still looking for this optional unofficial BIOS file for whatever reason and bitching.

>>5546515
Speaking of incorrect timing, doesn't Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting run way too fast compared to actual hardware in MAME still? I remember that still being an issue as recently as two years ago.

>> No.5554561
File: 292 KB, 686x720, 1372806411626.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5554561

>>5552896
>MAME developers have been upset at other forks (especially retroarch)

Really? Now I love Retroarch even more.

>> No.5554597
File: 107 KB, 1304x713, mame vs retroarch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5554597

>>5554561

>> No.5554661
File: 783 KB, 720x405, haters.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5554661

>>5554597
I love EVEN MORE now.

>> No.5554768

How do I get into MAME?

>> No.5554781

>>5554768
by downloading it

>> No.5554786

>>5554781
No shit, now where's the fucking sticky or whatever to figure out what other bullshit I need besides the roms

>> No.5554789

>>5554786
you don't need anything else besides roms

>> No.5554820

>>5554561
Imagine complaining about normalfags and then not being able to figure it out like your typical dudebro lol

>> No.5554848

>>5554597
Haze proves himself to be a moron regarding this.

RetroArch succeeds by having an actual interface, by freeing developers from having to even give a shit about RetroArch policy (you can download whatever cores you want), by working on a wide range of hardware, and by allowing the user to select whether they care about accuracy or performance (allowing the user to actually use the hardware that they have on hand, rather than dealing with something that frameskips on a recent i5). RetroArch users aren't stuck dealing with software lists and constant file renaming (eg, BIOS files).

like, he just keeps going on
>per game model
many of the popular cores, like Genesis Plus GX, the Higan core, Nestopia, etc are are immune to this
>"well tested unified code base"
have you used any of the MESS cores
they're slow at best, they run less software and have more issues than other emulators usually, they just don't work at worst
>"can't be reused"
this very rarely ends up coming up
>"no mutual benefits"
and that's okay
the MAME philosophy targets components, and that's not an awful philosophy
but the RA philosophy targets systems
Also, MAME is extremely guilty of focusing on individual systems and games anyway (because arcade machines have small software libraries, often literally consisting of one game, and each system ends up interacting with bits of hardware in specific ways).
>"dumbed down console like experience"
what in the living fuck is Haze even talking about
I lost brain-cells looking at this. It's a black hole of stupid.
>"false impression of being something better"
given that many commonly used RA cores are both faster and more correct than various MESS drivers, I dunno why it'd be a false impression

God, I could keep going. I don't want to keep going, and I'm nearing the post length limit anyway. God damn.

>> No.5554892

>>5554848
t. consoletard

>> No.5554929

>>5554597
>>5554848
A Virgin MAME Vs RA chad would be nice.

>> No.5555035

>>5554442
I'm quite sure I've been here longer than you and also that I'm older than you.

>> No.5555037

>>5539308
Can someone tell me how to get Wing War not to crash.

>> No.5555372

>>5554597
What this stupid shithead fails to realize is that nobody fucking cares. Retroarch makes it easier to play FREE FUCKING GAMES, and that's all that matters.

JUST MAKE IT CONVENIENT FOR ME TO PLAY MY FREE FUCKING GAMES YOU ENGORGED TWAT.

>CONVENIENT
>FREE GAMES
Two things to remember you IDIOT. Everything you do that doesn't have to do with these things deserves ridicule.

>> No.5555556

>>5555035
I know you are. That's why it's so funny.

>> No.5555567

>>5555556
Had you got heptas, you wouldn't be a fag.

>> No.5555598

>>5555567
Did anyone see it, or did they skip it? I didn't see anybody aiming for it either.

>> No.5555782

>>5553264
>How the fuck else would it know which of the several thousand arcade games with radically different hardware you were trying to load other than check against a predetermined list?
It knows which of the arcade boards to load just fine, if the ROMs are loaded through command line. Configuration files, not narrowing down the whitelist every single release and sending users on wild goose chases, and file name conventions are some of the many ways to achieve this.

>refusal to merge in progress forks that would greatly improve performance
>Which supressed forks of MAME "greatly improve performance"? I'm very keen to try this out. Is it DexterMAME?
"There is a trend in emulator development recently"
Citra, Dolphin Ishiikura (to a lesser extent), bsnes vs bsnes-mercury, etc

>No, they don't. They're bad dumps, by definition they are not "fine".

They will emulate just fine, with no emulation errors (barring a code rewrite that causes a graphical bug or something) when loaded through command line or the listed workarounds. You can actually try it!

Those "bad dumps" are obsolete for preservationists, they used to be the best dump available of a rare machine until it was discovered it was either
- a localization not authorized officially (oh the humanity bootlegs! burn it!)
- location test version (ermahged a beta!)
- some copy protection patched (this is tampering with the authentic dump!!)
- some bytes off during the dumping process or was incomplete (also a possibility but not the ONLY one as you try to make it out to be)
- it's a perfectly good dump but the file size is wrong and bigger than it should be, even though this has strictly zero impact on how it plays or emulates even at CPU cycle level (overdumps rrrreeeee!!)

They will still in many cases play just fine with zero bugs. If you want to get users to get the updated romset, there's ways besides FORBIDDING them from using their older dumps, or LYING (they play bad! it's impossible to play them!)

>> No.5555791

>>5555782
why would loading it in the command line change anything?

>> No.5555865

>>5555598
They skipped it. :(

>> No.5555871

>>5550427
Maybe if you save all your Circle-K money you can buy an arcade cabinet too and know what you're talking about.

>> No.5555912

>>5555791
Because the whitelist crap is artifical. The games work by default, it's the official launcher that blocks anything but the latest perfect clean dump for that release. Command line mode (and mame ui, retroarch) ignores the whitelist.

>> No.5555918

>>5555912
you get the same error messages using the command line that you do using the builtin ui. I had to get an updated polystar chd because the one a couple versions back wasn't good anymore, all using cli.

>> No.5555927

>>5555918
They already begun blocking it at CLI level? Sweet.
Just tried the ra mame core from 1.7.3 and it didn't have that yet.

>> No.5555931

>>5555927
why would it be different? The ui is just a frontend to the command line.

>> No.5557305
File: 170 KB, 851x625, nebula.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5557305

You now remember Nebula.

Say something nice about him.

>> No.5557754

>>5555871
Top kek kid. Keep on bullshitting. It's entertaining.

>> No.5558114

>>5557305
nice and clean

>> No.5558121

>>5555782
>It knows which of the arcade boards to load just fine, if the ROMs are loaded through command line. Configuration files, not narrowing down the whitelist every single release and sending users on wild goose chases, and file name conventions are some of the many ways to achieve this.
Err, it's a commandline program. You're basically stating that if you load a game in MAME it knows what game that is. No shit, because it by definition has a specifically created list of every single game it supports baked in. This is UNAVOIDABLE on a project this expansive with utterly dissimilar hardware supported. Naming conventions? You'd want people to load games by altering the filename based on what system a game runs on? You seriously think that knowing which obscure piece of hardware game X runs on before you can even think about playing it is going to be easier than the current setup for users who cannot even search google to find easily available ROMs now? I think your other point is user maintained lists of games. Yeah, moving this complexity to users is really going to work well, isn't it? If you want to see "wild goose chases" that is exactly how you do it.

>> No.5558123

>>5555782
>Those "bad dumps" are obsolete for preservationists, they used to be the best dump available of a rare machine until it was discovered it was either
No.
>- a localization not authorized officially (oh the humanity bootlegs! burn it!)
The only case I can think of for this would be an English hack for Kingdom Grand Prix. That was because it muddied the waters and made it difficult to tell if there was a real board in English out there yet to be dumped.
>- location test version (ermahged a beta!)
MAME has shitloads of location tests. It's literally designed to preserve such rare and interesting games. They are never removed. Why the fuck would they be?
>- some copy protection patched (this is tampering with the authentic dump!!)
Yes, look at the Taito C chip games. Previously they used black boxed code to simulate how it seemed these games worked. Now they have the real data, and some of the games used to play very wrong. Playing these games in old versions of MAME you are essentially playing kind-of-there adulterations of these game that never actually existed. Why the fuck would you ever keep support in for this other than because some mong can't Google search and you dare not inconvenience them? In a project struggling to get another active devs, who is going to maintain this objectively useless shit through the years?
>- some bytes off during the dumping process or was incomplete (also a possibility but not the ONLY one as you try to make it out to be)
>- it's a perfectly good dump but the file size is wrong and bigger than it should be, even though this has strictly zero impact on how it plays or emulates even at CPU cycle level (overdumps rrrreeeee!!)
Bad dumps cause all kinds of weird and often subtle bad shit to happen if they're not outright bad enough to just plain stop the game from working. Again why the fuck would you ever support them once they are fixed? Overdumps are a piece of piss to fix using clrmamepro. No redownloading needed.

>> No.5558136

>>5539868
dumb fuck knuckledragger missing the point

>> No.5558139
File: 9 KB, 320x224, SegaSonicBros_SystemC_Title.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5558139

virtually all mame issues would be fixed if they added a warning saying your rom doesn't match the current romset, but will try booting anyways.

also i'm curious about what games should work on current mame but don't due to drama. I remember when mame removed cave support for awhile because emulation caught up too quickly to the arcade games and they got in trouble

>> No.5558191

ITT: MAME neckbeards too stupid to even understand the principle of backwards compatibility much less appreciate it.

>> No.5558663

>>5558191
>ITT and angry poor child buttblasted it's not easier to play games for free

>> No.5558672

>>5558663
"if it's difficult, that means it's good"

That's some good 'tism. Do you bash your ears and moan like a dog in heat when a piece of software is user-friendly?

>> No.5559305

Recommend good racing games, please.

>> No.5559478

>>5558123
>some mong can't Google search
you need to stop saying this, faggot. It's not that simple. Here's how it worked for me, when I had a Rom that didn't work (from a recently fucking downloaded collection, not an ancient one from my 10-year-old collection).

1. Google the missing filename (with lots of variations).
2. Find shit-ton of outdated discussions on forums and google groups and shit, none of which have any solution.
3. Wait for a game-focused arcade thread to come up on /vr/.
4. Mention the error an off-hand manner after commenting on main topic.
5. Helpful poster provides me a link to a working dump of the ROM with no fuss.

Guarantee if I'd asked for help in a thread with (you) lurking I'd have had to deal with no end of shit and faggotry from MAMEfags who have nothing better to do than stroke their own dicks.

>> No.5559490

>download .torrent for latest fullset
>point it to your fullset directory
>torrent client grabs changed chunks

/end of thread

>> No.5559803

>>5558672
Reading comprehension is difficult for you and that's not good

That's some good reddit spacing. Do you cry when a preservation project doesn't make it child friendly to play games for free? Oh yeah, that's what you're doing.

>> No.5559817

>>5559803
18+, anon.

>> No.5559847

>>5539308
Learn how to audit the sets, you retard.

and even then this is irrelevant because I can just delete the entire folder and grab the new one from pleasuredome, it downloads faster than the time it would take to set up clrmamepro.

>> No.5559848

>>5559847
>Learn how to audit the sets

Show us ONE website that shows how to do that in a couple of easy steps, not pages, anon.

>> No.5559865

>>5559848
1. download romvault
2. download dats (I think mame can export them with some command line)
3. set up directories
4. press scan
5. press fix

there you go.

>> No.5560574

>>5559817
>no u
Zoom back home little zoomer

>> No.5560580

>>5560574
Sshhh shh, quiet, Boomer. You need rest. Read m,or

>> No.5560772

>>5554597
Heres an entire on going thread of Haze being a fucking retard as usual:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64503

>> No.5561038

>>5560772
you sure you linked the right thread? i only see autistic shmupfags

>> No.5561195

>>5559848
I've only ever used MAMEUI which has an audit feature in one of the menus.
http://www.mameui.info/
>>5554786
>tfw no /mameg/
I kinda agree. MAME has had like 20+ forks by various people whereas HBMAME focuses on hacks/homebrew.
>>5560772
>wants autofire
Just use JoyToKey or something.

>> No.5561435

>>5560580
If you spent half as much time learning to mame as you did shitposting you'd probably be a lot less angry

>> No.5561897

Can I run Daytona on that?

>> No.5564732

>>5558139
>also i'm curious about what games should work on current mame but don't due to drama. I remember when mame removed cave support for awhile because emulation caught up too quickly to the arcade games and they got in trouble
Not sure there is much left now. SegaSonic Bros is the latest and hasn't been quietly sneaked in yet like most of them do in the end.
In the past there was drama over:
Maniac Square (can't remember why, was re-added years ago. Think it was because it was some leaked dev prototype that caused drama)
Tetris the Grand Master 2 (sneaked back in a few years ago)
Cave games (think they are all sneaked back in again now too)

>> No.5564754

>>5544546
Switch to Final Burn Alpha. All /vr/ approved, (mostly) perfect, and a mere fraction of the space MAME takes up.

FBAlphaFB, the fork by the devs after Barry sold out, will support Midway and Atari stuff a hell of a lot more. Llike vector games.

>> No.5564763

>>5564732
IIRC, most of those was because they were still new enough for money to be made. It was a valid concern at the time.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action