[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 266x266, !!e!U0U!BWM_$(KGrHqEOKkEE0,Q9ssr5BNP3t-c5Gg___1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5535253 No.5535253 [Reply] [Original]

How good is it? Do I wait for the HD release or play it in my old PSX?

>> No.5535269

what hd release?

>> No.5535357

>>5535269
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/20/grandia-and-grandia-ii-coming-to-switch-in-hd-remaster

>> No.5536308

>>5535253
Speaking of the HD release where the fuck is it?

>> No.5536318

>>5536308
dead

>> No.5536360

>>5535253
Some people liked it I was hugely disappointed playing it after being a Lunar fan. Might as well try it out though.

>> No.5536369

>>5536360
What you liked was Working Designs Lunar.
OG Lunar was closer to Grandia in tone and difficulty

>> No.5536396

>>5536369
Actually I really disliked most of the translation WD did, though it's true I don't mind the bumped up difficulty. It's more that I think something happened to GameArts inbetween because I think the Lunar remakes were also terrible and Dragon Song was unplayably bad. It's like the company lost all it's spark or something

My issue with Grandia is largely that it bills itself as a game about the joy of being an explorer but then the world you're exploring isn't all that interesting and the dungeons especially are all short and super linear. The final dungeon was slightly better and at least looked interesting but was way too little too late.
Then I remember the story being meh and most of the characters, especially the little girl being extremely annoying.

The battle system was neat, but it was also really easy so you never really had to think about anything. Like I say, I know the game has fans and is why I recommend at least trying it but personally it was one of the biggest gaming let downs I've had.

>> No.5536404

Overrated. Some other anon compared it to Lunar, which sounds about right. There's no character customization, no strategy, just level up and kill things. I assume fans of the series play these games strictly for the plot.

>> No.5536412

>>5536404
Oddly enough I remember nothing about the story but I have an overall fond residual impression of the game. I liked the detail of the towns, the somewhat more engaging than usual battle system (what with the proximity mechanics) and the general adventurous feel.

>> No.5536413

>>5535253
it's a great game. just go in with an open mind and don't look at walkthroughs.

keep in mind the system isn't perfect, you get better the more you use weapons/magic so you end up farming healing power through environmental hazards and hitting up a save spot that heals you.

music is awesome.

>> No.5536521

there an undub patch for the game, so is its uncensored with english text?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4100/

>> No.5536526

>>5535253
>Do I wait for the HD release
Absolute state of zoomers, just play the fucking game like everybody else did

>> No.5536529

>>5536396
>My issue with Grandia is largely that it bills itself as a game about the joy of being an explorer but then the world you're exploring isn't all that interesting and the dungeons especially are all short and super linear.
I always point this out and lots of people get super butthurt about this, same thing for games like Skies of Arcadia that gets touted as games with a great sense of adventure and yet end up as another generic linear story driven RPG.
I don't really understand what these people mean by sense of adventure when you're not allowed to go where you like and actually have an adventure, the fact that the dungeon or world designs are so bad also doesn't help.

>> No.5536545

>>5536529
I think you misunderstood what "Adventure" means, nobody ever said it was an open ended sandbox game.
What they really meant was sense of child's wonder in visiting exotic locations, like in my favorite Japanese anime Indiana Jones

>> No.5536550

>>5536529
Yeah that's it exactly. Did it even have an overworld you could walk around in? I don't remember, it's been ages since I got it pretty much day 1, played it then never touched it again.

I was super hyped for it too which probably didn't help. But I loved exploring in games and had really enjoyed Lunar so the thought of an RPG by the same people all about the joy of adventure would be fantastic.

But then I just remember being more and more disappointed in just about every aspect of it (minus the battle system at least). The dungeons were so dull most of the time and just a long windy path with only the shortest detours for shitty loot. I certainly haven't played every RPG but I remember at the time thinking they were some of the worst dungeons I'd seen in a game.

>> No.5536557

>>5536545
Being stuck on a tight rail just doesn't feel like an adventure to me. I don't need a whole open world, but a bit of agency to feel like I'm really on my own adventure not just playing through someone else's scripted one (even if I actually am)

It's why I can't stand the Uncharted games. They look amazing and the shooting is decent, but everything is railroaded like crazy and just feels like an interactive movie more than a game I'm playing.

>> No.5536605

>>5536545
>What they really meant was sense of child's wonder in visiting exotic locations
Sounds to me they never got out of their basements if seeing the same old narrative and visual tropes all the times in a game that also goes out of its way to not let you have fun with those equates to having an adventure in any sense of the word.

I mean, sure, I love Indy's stuff and all, I love diving into old temples, exotic eastern towns and shit but I wouldn't call what is the equivalent a cruise's guided tour for 70 years old an adventure, maybe entertaining, exciting at best if there's some nice attention to details or some really unusual aesthetic choice but an adventure is not being set on rails all the time by somebody, which unfortunately Grandia is very guilty of, coupled with having nothing interesting or particularly original when it comes to visuals either.

It might work in the context of a dungeon crawler, where even if the progression is largely linear in the bigger picture you have many variables to make that interesting, especially since you're not tied to premade characters either and can have a bit of fun creating your own party of dumbfucks, but in the usual story driven RPG context with zero player agency there really isn't any sort of room for an actual adventure.
Not trying to start shit or anything, I just can't see whatever weird thought process makes people say games like Grandia feel like an adventure when they're the equivalent of a slightly interactive tv show.

>> No.5536657

>>5536605
>the same old narrative and visual tropes all the times
Bitch please there were barely over 30 games a decade before Grandia who did that trope.

>> No.5536756

>>5536657
>Mr Miyaji sir, there gave been almost 30 games with this same basic story churned out in the last ten years alone. I humbly recommend we try something new and different.

>No foolish underling, get back to making it as generic as possible and while you're at it don't forget to pass the word down that the Lunar remakes should have as little effort put into them as possible. Don't waste time on fancy animations like opening doors or illusory trees, just slap it together and push it out.

>> No.5537190

>>5535253
Saturn version is superior.
If you play the ps1 version at least play the undub coz the voice acting is atrocious.

>> No.5537248

>>5537190
What's different about it?

>> No.5537261

>>5536529
>I don't really understand what these people mean by sense of adventure when you're not allowed to go where you like and actually have an adventure
Similar sense of adventure to what you get from reading static words in a fantasy book or watching an fantasy film, I reckon. If you cared enough to tell everyone who enjoyed such things that they weren't really going on true adventures, they'd probably be annoyed with you too.

>> No.5537463
File: 137 KB, 623x527, 1517452979222.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5537261
>If you cared enough to tell everyone who enjoyed such things that they weren't really going on true adventures, they'd probably be annoyed with you too.
Not my problem, especially when they mislead people who want an actual adventure and then get all pissy when it's pointed out.
If you're the kind of guy who thinks that being on rails at all times is supposed to feel like an adventure more power to you, just don't expect people with higher standards to not wonder what's wrong with you.

>> No.5537482

>>5537463
>Not my problem
Then why are you talking to them? Another reason to be annoyed with you.

>> No.5538646

>>5537482
Who cares if people are annoyed at you not liking something crappy?

>> No.5538741

>>5536521
uncensored in what way? all it did was replace the voices. Alcohol is still coffee.

>> No.5538743

>>5535253
It evokes a perfect sense of "going on a huge adventure"!

>> No.5538773

>>5538646
>I really get a sense of adventure from this book!
>>You're not on any adventure, you're reading a book.
>Well that's just the feeling I get.
>>Not my fault you like something crappy.
Get invited to many parties, anon?

>> No.5538869

>>5538773
Yes and I've never once had a conversation like that. I wasn't the guy you were having the rest of that conversation with though. I think linear RPGs can be okay if done well, but Grandia was not done well at all in my opinion and I never got that sense of adventure.

>> No.5538893

>>5538869
>but Grandia was not done well at all in my opinion and I never got that sense of adventure.

Killing yourself would be a grand adventure you fucking faggot

>> No.5538897

>>5537261
Games are about player agency though and the sense that you're doing more than just passively reading a book or watching a movie.

>> No.5538917

>>5538897
By the late 90s I think people knew what they were getting into with most JRPGs, complaining about the word adventure in this genre specifically seems a little out of touch

>> No.5538920

>>5538893
Hey man sorry, but I was mega hyped for this game >>553655 >>5536396
I didn't buy it as soon as it was released planning to hate it, but in the end I found the whole thing massively disappointing and one of the main reasons is that it didn't give that sense of adventure and exploration at all.

You certainly don't have to agree, I am glad some people out there like it. But I'm not going to be any less vocal about what I see as one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever (though the Lunar 2 remake might be even more of a let down) It's a huge shame too cause I used to love the company.

>>5538897
This too. Even when it's only an illusion of agency, but Grandia fails hard there.

>> No.5539170

>>5535253
Unplayable without an undub patch.

>> No.5539614

>>5536521
>>5537190
>>5539170
Is the voice acting really that bad??

>> No.5541818

>>5539614
It's unironically some of the worst dubbing in a game I've ever heard.

>> No.5541959

>>5536605
We are talking about jrpgs here, don't know what you expected.

>> No.5541976

>>5536396
>>5536529
My feelings on both those games exactly, never really got the sense of exploration they were trying to convey.

>> No.5541978

>>5539614
Literally a WOAT contender.

>> No.5542058

>>5541959
It's full of JRPGs that let you actually explore and do what you want though, if fucking DQIII of all things was so open ended and nonlinear Grandia has no excuses, especially when the main point of the game is to have a fucking adventure that isn't there.

>> No.5542083

>>5542058
To me the problem isn't even being open ended or not, the problem with Grandia is that the locations you go to really didn't feel all that special. Early on they make a big deal about the End of the World but you're over it like halfway through the game and it's no big deal, for example.

>> No.5542154

>>5535253
I always thought the jaggy visuals are quite a turn-off for many people. Personally, I still enjoy the old PS1 version.

>> No.5542405

ITT Zoomers whining it isn't enough like Oblivion.

>> No.5542415

>>5539614
No, it's uneven and some of it is read pretty weirdly (generally the people you can tell aren't actors interacting with those who are) but it's nowhere near the actually terrible dubs you saw in 90s ps1 games.

>> No.5542432

>>5542405
>Anyone who criticizes my favorite old piece of crap is underage
U mad

>> No.5542449

>>5542432
Anyone who whines about linearity, yes.
The youngest you can be are those bunch of CRPG fags who obsess over Fallout aka a late 90s faggotron.
In all likelihood you're yet another Bethesdrone, an even worse kind of walking disease vector.

>> No.5542693

>>5542449
It's not just that it's linear. Linear can be alright if done well. It's that it's linear while also being kind of bad which just makes the railroad feeling of it worse.