[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 640x462, W0bAFiH_d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5534150 No.5534150 [Reply] [Original]

I tried making a thread for "/v2k/" on /vg/ last week, someplace to send people that want to talk about games that aren't retro but that are impossible to discuss on the designated shithole that is our progenitor. I feel like this is important, because as time goes on, pressure will build to have those systems here, and I for one don't think they really belong on /vr/. That said, the state of /v/ is such that I don't think we can really claim that telling people to go there to post is a real alternative. It is in the interest of our keeping /vr/ as it is to help foster a space for such discussion, and a dedicated /vg/ thread seemed like a natural place to do it.

That said, the thread be ded due to lack of posts. I blame opening it late on a weeknight and also not advertising its existence as the main factors. That said, I feel there is more I could do to improve the execution.

My question is, what can we do to open and maintain such a thread, that we are able to keep open such a place to foster actual discussion of old-but-not-retro games, and also to argue against allowance of those systems on /vr/?

Personally, I am partial to creating a general to hold these topics, and to redirecting posts here to that location (maybe even an edit to our board sticky that has a permalink to the current general iteration). I would like to hear what others think however.

>> No.5534153

I think you should fuck off.

>> No.5534182

>>5534150
V2k is the stupidest idea ever and is promoted by people who want to be on 4chan but can't actually handle it

>> No.5534198

Early 2000's games should be allowed here, not really like the board is drowning in activity
Only a bunch of decadent poseurs scream "not retro" every 5 minutes when they're not circlejerking about their collection of their childhood games, worthwhile posters who actually want to discuss videogames don't give a fuck
cue a few 'dumb zoomer durr' without further arguments in response to this post

>> No.5534205
File: 83 KB, 640x630, 19187_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5534198
Many early 2000's games are allowed here already. Though I still think rules should go by game release instead of system, people complaining about needing v2k are retard snowflakes.

>> No.5534216

>>5534150
>*cries* /v/ is toooo toxic for me! /vr/ won't let me talk about GBA games!
>I know I'll start a thread on /vg/ I bet it's not toxic and scary like that toxic shithole I'm scared of!

This is way too funny. Honestly you should just look for another forum.

>> No.5534283

>>5534216
But isn't /v/ being a toxic waste dump where it's difficult to discuss anything exactly why /vr/ was made?

I do at least understand the reluctance to have 2000 era stuff on /vr/: The sort of user it would attract is still a scary thought. I don't think you'll have any problems from guys who want to gush about Steambot Chronicles, but the fanbases for more popular stuff are still a scary thought.

>> No.5534302

>/v/ cries they need to add post-2000 games to /vr/
>/vr/ says fuck off, we're full
>/v/ gets butthurt and spends their time on /vr/ shitposting
>/vr/ says "why not get a /v2k/ board?"
>/v/ crawls out of the woodwork to scream "i-if you can't handle /v/, then maybe 4chan isn't for you!"
Make sure you screencap this thread. The next time some faggot brings up "We just wanna have a place to discuss 6th gen!", point to this thread. If /v/ isn't a problem, then they can post about 6th gen there. And if they can't discuss videogames on /v/, they have no argument against /v2k/.

Cue angry /v/irgins screaming about how I'm wrong with no actual argument.

>> No.5534329

The 2000 cut-off date needs obviously needs to go. It's ignored for Deus Ex and a handful of other early 2000's PC games, and it doesn't apply to any of the early 2000's fifth gen games.

I think it needs to be pushed to 2005.

>> No.5534345

>>5534329
>I'M LITERALLY TOO RETARDED TO READ AND UNDERSTAND THE RULES
2000 is the cutoff date for PLATFORM. Meaning console or OS. If it runs on a console or OS that came out before 2000, it's allowed under the rules. The reason you have mods delete some PC games that came out after 2000 but ran on Win98 is because the rules USED to be a hard cut-off for PCs and some mods don't know the rules changed. Now it's entirely by platform.

>> No.5534361

>>5534283
>But isn't /v/ being a toxic waste dump where it's difficult to discuss anything exactly why /vr/ was made?

Nope.

>> No.5534364

>>5534302
You're misrepresenting what goes on here and are one of the people who falsely labels anyone you don't like or don't agree with as being from another part of 4chan. The real problem is you.

>> No.5534368
File: 38 KB, 446x400, 51unGw7JTzL._AC_SY400_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5534329
That's because PC games follow the same rules as console games, silly.

>> No.5534382

>>5534368
>>5534345

Give me a logical reason why we're allowed to discuss the dreamcast version of Soul Calibur but not the PS2 version.

>> No.5534421

>>5534150
I'm done advocating for 6th gen on /vr/. Let's pretend that the rules change tomorrow, do you really think we can suddenly have a decent thread about Mario Sunshine? Fuck no. The butthurt would be massive and the healing process could take years.

>> No.5534423
File: 348 KB, 1000x668, 150236-Ecco_the_Dolphin_-_Defender_of_the_Future_(USA)-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5534382
I don't see a logical reason for it, I think the rules are stupid and should go by the game's year of release instead of the system. But it's how it is.

It's really not a big deal though.

>> No.5534435

>>5534421
A Mario Sunshine thread here would be the same as on /v/ it would just 404 in a day instead of an hour. The two boards really aren't that different and the same goes with /vg/ which is why OP's plan was so retarded.

>> No.5534479

>>5534382
But that's not true.
>post thread about Soul Calibur
>mention the PS2 exclusive character
>post and thread doesn't get deleted
>post thread with PS2 port of Soul Calibur in OP
>HEY LETS ALL DISCUSS THE PS2 CLASSIC SOUL CALIBUR!
>mods delete thread
If you can't figure out why one method is accepted and the other isn't, then I can't help you.

>> No.5534487
File: 62 KB, 803x726, 1419991101345.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5534150
Here's the deal, OP. It won't work.
>The first reason
You're dealing with a gravemind of juvenoia here that already hates the inclusion of Dreamcast and has contempt for 5th gen discussion, especially when you talk of the PSone. Forcing 6th gen on them (even when it would help the board) won't work because these people want isolation over inclusivity. Their mindset is that opening up a group's culture to a younger generation that grew up on 3D graphics and story based games risks it to being ruined those who have no respect for earlier gens.
>Second reason
They would rather have a dead board that is confined to what they like than a lively board with a variety of things they don't like. An example of this is how /vr/ HATES the discussion of jarpigs you're seeing now. Many have already left the board because this mainly used to be discussion about 1cc's and actual arcade machines. To bring in 6th gen would be the final nail in the coffin for these people.
>Third reason
And this is simply repeating the first, but it's been proven that forcing anything on people will backfire hard. Like >>5534421 said, the boomers (early millennials) that stick around this board who discuss nothing about games will only come back to have an autistic cause to fight about over 6th gen's inclusion. You won't find yourself actually talking about games at all. Yes, /v/ is a zoomer shithole, and /vg/ won't attract the right people for zoomers (late millennials) like you to properly discuss GBA, GCN, XBOX, and PS2. My advice, just leave this shitty site. The internet is vast and large. Don't look at it as plebbit, halfchin, and fullchin are the only places to discuss shit. Chances are, you'll find yourself in /vr/'s shoes of arguing more than actually playing the games. I started a Gameboy Color thread not too long ago and I actually a reply from a /v/ tourist shitter saying there is nothing worth discussing about the GBC. I said fuck off because I'm trying to discuss games.

>> No.5534509

>>5534487
>hates PS1
>hates JRPGS
That's not /vr/, that's all the /v/ that flooded in in the past two or three years. We never had people spamming about how much SMW, SotN, or MGS sucked until the last few years. /v/ moved here after they got "invaded" by resetera refugees, and have been shitposting hard since. Look at the off-site archives, go back years. It's a different board.

I agree with your last paragraph though, it's nearly impossible to have a decent discussion about retro games when the board is overrun with people who don't want to talk about retro games, and the mod team is unwilling or unable to deal with it. And in all honesty, the only people who think /vr/ is the only place or best place to discuss retro games are people who've gone full /b/tard and are unable to contain their power level. Everyone else who is capable of talking about retro games without screaming FAGGOT at people they disagree with has already moved elsewhere. It sucks having to sign up everywhere I wanna have a discussion, but at least there is discussion to be had.

>> No.5534648

>>5534198
>early 2000s games should be allowed here

Never. Ever.

>> No.5534676

>>5534487
>I started a Gameboy Color thread not too long ago and I actually a reply from a /v/ tourist shitter

You have some valid points but are still faltering under the assumption that posters who you don't like are interlopers from /v/ when that's not the case. You have a false pretense that /v/ and /vr/ are fundamentally different and that leads you to get annoyed when you should just understand that the structure of 4chan forms patterns. You repeatedly take bait then complain you've taken bait which only leads to more people fishing.

>> No.5534710

>>5534150
Good lucky trying to outlive those waifu posting in gacha mobile weeb generals
You'll need to hire 10 professional bahmpers

>> No.5534717
File: 214 KB, 320x312, Space_Channel_5_pt2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5534648
They literally already are though.

>> No.5534738

>>5534150
If your mental capacity is any indication of the posters on your general, or on /v2k/ then I want nothing to do with it. Maybe you could make a /v2k/ sub on red dit, it sounds like you would fit in better there. There is hug boxes and upvotes, you should go check it out.

>> No.5534742

>>5534509
Having been away for a while i share your feeling about current /vr/, the average quality of discussion has gone down massively since last i lurked here.

Then again it feels like most boards just keep rolling downwards in quality so maybe /vr/ is just part of the pack in that process.

>> No.5534745

>>5534509
Dont forget the half life thread.

>> No.5534794

>>5534742
What you're perceiving isn't limited to 4chan either. Times are changing abd shit is hitting the fan, it gets reflected everywhere.

>> No.5534832

>>5534150
It's utterly retarded that gamecube and ps2 discussion isn't allowed on here