[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 345 KB, 1280x800, pic unrelated just needed something to make the thread.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5525030 No.5525030 [Reply] [Original]

>Ya know what? /VR/ Baldur's Gate mod thread, when?
godspeed anon
>>>5521156
I would be willing to take such a project, although we should first decide what we aim to do here. I can do pretty much everything when it comes to infinity engine modding and I'm rather used to it. If anyone wants a bunch of links to modding resources i can dump.
If there's actually anyone interested in this i'll post a discord invite since managing projects on this serbian lamprey fishing market BBS isn't particularly easy.

also, baldur's gate thread post your weidu.log edition https://pastebin.com/KG3Yy5TB

>> No.5526578
File: 560 KB, 723x1052, __helevu_original_drawn_by_hetza_hellshock__2ff691f4008ba5bd5a71ac5753d493bf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Serbia mentioned
You get a bump from me for that. Godspeed, even though BG is jarpig tier.

>> No.5528042

I like the idea, I don't know shit about modding or coding beyond installing some shit for my games but this thread doesn't deserve to die yet

>> No.5528065

>>5525030
What the fuck would be the point of playing a 2D isometric game in vr?

>> No.5528260

>>5528042
There's this thing called learning which you can do, and in which you progress really fast if you're willing to do and someone is willing to teach you as well. I can teach you if you want. Or you can do this other very useful thing called testing that modders hate doing and that simply requires you to not be a retard, install the mod and play a bit with it. If you want you can do both. Seeing in-game behaviour helps you learn what's going on pretty fast. And it's not like IE modding is difficult with the resources available today.
If you're up for it and willing to help me test anything that might come out of this, I'm willing to teach you IE modding. Also you can tell people that might be interested about it if you want. I suck at that.

>> No.5528663

>>5525030
what would a /vr/ mod even be like

other than gorion only refering to you as his wife's son and replacing potions with monster energy drinks

would there be a nintendo power glove that's actually a cursed item until you repair it with illegal mods? VR glasses that actually do nothing because there are no VR games?

would there be hilarious npcs informing you that beamdoge has commited a series of crimes

>> No.5529235

>>5528663
>what would a /vr/ mod even be like
Just new areas/quests/encounters made by us. It's a /vr/ mod because this board did it not because it only has contents or memes from this board. Or alternatively, small tweaks or modifications that players here enjoy. I dunno. Just suggest shit and I'll implement it I guess.

>> No.5531000

>>5528260
i might actually have a feasible idea for BG2, a couple potentially interesting fights which could link some loose plots without writing much dialogue nor creating brand new areas,
give me a few hours of sleep to make sure it's not complete shit and i'll post a proper summary of the idea

>> No.5531012

>>5531000
Sure also checked. Glad to see someone who's actually interested.

>> No.5531226

>>5531012
This sounds like a great idea. I'll try and think of a few ideas. Is there any game out of the two that you would find more exciting to work on?

>> No.5531730

>>5531226
>Is there any game out of the two that you would find more exciting to work on?
Not really. I think both games have definitely a lot of places to put stuff in. BG2 has more place for new wilderness areas which is something I'd like to see in the game, but, adding areas is probably the task that requires the most work of all.

>> No.5532003

>>5531012
So what I thought about was adding some content to the Shadow Thieves storyline in chapter 6.
I doubt it's just me, but I often wipe out the guild after coming back from the underdark. And I was always disappointed because there is no one in here to put up a fight against you even with SCS.
So a simple thing would be to add a dialogue choice that turns Aran Linvail hostile, spaws Arkanis Garth (without his 1hp item obviously), a lot of regular shadow thieves, several spellcasters (a high level mage, why not a few mid level mage/thieves), and traps.
The main shadow thieves guild would be an awesome playground for an extended fight I think, both in terms of gameplay and lore.
As is, the idea is pretty barebone, but there are a lot of ways to expand upon it.
One obvious would be to have Aran actively betray you and ambush you after you dealt with Bodhi with or without the help of his thieves.
You could be ambushed by a tough group of shadow thieves in Athkathla after killing Bodhi, find a note implicating Aran and go to confront him.
You could be warned by Renal Bloodscalp if you are a thief and completed the stronghold (and made him a pretty penny), which would allow you to have him and his thieves on your side for the fight if you so wish, rather than exterminating them too, and, why not, actually take Aran's place as a conclusion.
There could be a grand conspiracy against you, starring Aran Linvail and the council of the six, which could culminate in a fight against city guards and cowled wizards in the government district or the government building itself after killing Aran.
It could be actually completeable since it's mostly adding fights and finding ways to make them entertaining and challenging, drawing inspiration from SCS components like the improved Mae'var guild fight while adapting the difficulty for chater 6. No extensive and potentially cringy dialogue to write, no new areas to paint and design.

>> No.5532020

>>5531012
>>5532003
The problem is, after thinking about this yesterday, I took a look at existing quests mods and found that there is a quest pack (which looks pretty good) that adds some things regarding the shadow thieves in general 'among others) http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=128&Itemid=100
So I'm making a fresh install with it to find out what it does and if it changes the fight with Aran Linvail, and if it indeed does, how. Though since I'll have to start a fresh game, it will take me at the very least a few days to get there and find out.
So if anyone has tried it, let me know.

>> No.5532568

I was thinking of a Montaron mod for BG2, he is easily one of the greatest guys in BG1 and BG2 doesn't have an evil thief

>> No.5532597

>>5525030
>Death
>Ruff

>> No.5532614
File: 98 KB, 198x312, 2092f793e63eae86476c3b1cfeaa9ceb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5532568
ok OP how about this,Shar-teel and Montaron companion mods for BG2,it always bothered me that you cannot have a full EVIL 6-man party in BG2, and Dorn and Hexxat from EE are very badly written

>> No.5532848

>>5532568
I suck at writing characters' dialogue so forget it. Scripting out his death doesn't seem too hard, adding a way to save him looks even easier. If you don't care about him not talking I could do something, but I'd have to fiddle around with a lot of scripts, and this takes a good amount of time.
>>5532614
>Shar-teel
BGT+BGTTweaks. No banter nor interjections but it works.

>>5532003
>There could be a grand conspiracy against you, starring Aran Linvail and the council of the six, which could culminate in a fight against city guards and cowled wizards in the government district or the government building itself after killing Aran.
>It could be actually completeable since it's mostly adding fights and finding ways to make them entertaining and challenging, drawing inspiration from SCS components like the improved Mae'var guild fight while adapting the difficulty for chater 6. No extensive and potentially cringy dialogue to write, no new areas to paint and design.
This sounds particularly interesting, but I don't agree on the "No extensive dialogue", you'd actually have to write a bunch of particularly good dialogue to justify this happening. And if the player is to encounter the council of six physically, at least one new area should get added. I don't like modding radically game-changing stuff into the game without it fitting in perfectly.

>> No.5532938

>>5532003
>One obvious would be to have Aran actively betray you and ambush you after you dealt with Bodhi with or without the help of his thieves.
>You could be ambushed by a tough group of shadow thieves in Athkathla after killing Bodhi, find a note implicating Aran and go to confront him.
>You could be warned by Renal Bloodscalp if you are a thief and completed the stronghold (and made him a pretty penny), which would allow you to have him and his thieves on your side for the fight if you so wish, rather than exterminating them too, and, why not, actually take Aran's place as a conclusion.
This is pretty interesting too, but as you already mentioned, questpack partially implements your idea. Additions to questpack could be made, as well with a bit of stat and level adjustment here and there, and the battle could be turned into something really interesting, since, as you said, the area Aran is in makes for an excellent battlefield (although it does get used, if you side with Bodhi that is).
>>5532020
>So if anyone has tried it, let me know.
I haven't played with it in years, so I don't remember anything about it. Scripting is pretty good since the author was pretty smart and put a focus on improving scripting to enhance difficulty rather than giving creatures overpowered stats/items. There's also the guy's tweakpack which is great as well.
>>5532597
Messages triggered by a creature's death only show up after it dies, what's so weird about this?

>> No.5532958

>>5532848
>you'd actually have to write a bunch of particularly good dialogue to justify this happening. And if the player is to encounter the council of six physically, at least one new area should get added. I don't like modding radically game-changing stuff into the game without it fitting in perfectly.
That's something that can be built upon later if the first part is somewhat successful.
The main idea is the enhanced Aran Linvail fight which doesn't require much writing since the idea at first would just be to add a dialogue option or two to turn him and the rest of the shadow thieves hostile (and start the spawns). Expanding the "storyline" to the six stuff is just an idea in the air if the Aran fight itself is successfully enhanced.
There's enough to do for a very first goal with designing a fun and tough late game encounter in the shadow thieves building. The rest are just ideas that might allow the work to continue by progressively adding more stuff beyond that, but they sure need a lot of refining.
>>5532938
>although it does get used, if you side with Bodhi that is
yeah I've only tried it without SCS a while ago but I was a bit underwhelmed to say the least. It would be fun to have the entirety of the building possibly used for the fight ; adding traps could also be fun but might require some trickery like loading a new zone with the traps if the dialogue to engage the fight is chosen from what I gather.

>> No.5532971

>>5532848
>And if the player is to encounter the council of six physically, at least one new area should get added.
Also agree, expanding the government building to turn it into a fitting combat zone for a big political showdown should be doable with in-game assets though ; if it ever comes this far.

>> No.5532978

>>5532958
>>5532971
But yeah it's just ideas, feedback and other ideas welcomed.

>> No.5533302

>>5532958
>might require some trickery like loading a new zone with the traps if the dialogue to engage the fight is chosen from what I gather.
Nah, you can enable traps off scripts and stuff. No need to do something like that.
>The main idea is the enhanced Aran Linvail fight which doesn't require much writing since the idea at first would just be to add a dialogue option or two to turn him and the rest of the shadow thieves hostile (and start the spawns).
Alright. I'll test something out now, then I'll post back. In terms of scripts for Aran and co. I'm going to rely on SCS since writing that sort of scripts from scratch takes fucking forever.
>Expanding the "storyline" to the six stuff is just an idea in the air if the Aran fight itself is successfully enhanced.
Sounds reasonable.
>yeah I've only tried it without SCS a while ago but I was a bit underwhelmed to say the least.
It's easier than dealing with the vampires, which without SCS are pretty easy to deal with as well. It's fun going around and dealing with all the thieves spread out all around the place, which does have some traps in it already, although I'm not sure whether they're in the neutral area as well or not.
>>5532971
>Also agree, expanding the government building to turn it into a fitting combat zone for a big political showdown should be doable with in-game assets though ; if it ever comes this far.
I think merging a bunch of areas with photoshop and mangling their .wed files should cover the idea of adding new areas, since I can't do anything fancy as using blender to make new ones (which compared to doing other stuff in 3D, is incredibly easy at least according to some old ass post on the beandoge forums by some guy that picked it up in a month or two. The post is actually fairly interesting, I can link it if anyone wants).

>> No.5534449

>>5533302
Alright, looking forward to it. If you can post the link, I am indeed interested, as well as any other resoures on the sbuject of IE modding for that matter

>> No.5535247

>>5534449
Sure
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/22488/
this is what we've just discussed. I'll dump a few basic ones, then stuff I consider useful.
https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/index.htm
I recommend you keep a local copy of this as well of the WeiDU readme. The IESDP is the best IE modding resource out there, although it can be too technical for beginners sometimes.
https://github.com/NearInfinityBrowser/NearInfinity
current editor of choice for IE related files. You could use DLTCEP instead but that's windows only.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gemrb/files/Utilities/
Here you can find DLTCEP.
http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/prefixes/
This is a list of prefixes people use on their own files. I asked for VF to be registered for me or any project we start working on.
http://weidu.org/~thebigg/
I don't think this needs an introduction.
https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/28835-useful-weidu-macros
https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/30084-list-of-weidu-functions/
weidu stuff, definitely not very beginner friendly.
https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/13725-coding-scripts-in-ssl
http://www.pocketplane.net/tutorials/simscript.html
scripting stuff. guide on second link is by the author of questpack.
https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/30061-automatic-generation-of-spell-documentation/
http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=99.0
stuff I think is interesting and bookmarked recently
http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/Tutorials/maketileset.php
I link you to this because I think it's vital in creating new areas and if we ever do it you better give it a quick read because I use the same terms that this guide does.

If I remember of anything else I'll link it later. I'm halfways done on the basic Aran fight mod. Will post a basic playable version later.

>> No.5536423

>>5535247
Cool, thanks

>> No.5536918

>>5526578
>BG is jarpig tier
This meme got really dumb really fast

>> No.5538940

bump

>> No.5538981

>>5536918
Bioware always was and always will be shit tier

>> No.5540676

>>5535247
>Will post a basic playable version later.
Fuck. I got sidetracked playing my totemic druid.
And I think I finally a got hang of how to properly record sound in OSX? fucking dumbass system making me go through so much trouble
Besides that, I'm not sure whether I want to spend more time into something that Questpack already does. I might add a few more traps and thieves, but it's gonna rely on Questpack and SCS because I am a lazy fuck and hate re-doing unnecessary work.

>> No.5542825

bump

>> No.5544862

>>5538981
bg1 and 2,kotor and neverwinter nights are all great,everything after that is shit tier