[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 22 KB, 220x313, 220px-Journey_to_Silius_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5512993 No.5512993 [Reply] [Original]

i'd really like to know who thought level 4 was a good idea, so i could rip their dick off and shove it down their throat.

>> No.5512994

dat soundtrack tho Just use savestates

>> No.5512998

>>5512994
soundtrack is phenomenal, no denying that. the game itself is as well, but it should've went pure action instead of trying some half-assed platforming. i'm playing on original hardware.

>> No.5513008

>>5512993
Is that the one with the dropping blocks that eat your jump input and pull you down? I've game over'ed in that spot so many times.

>> No.5513010

>>5513008
it is! glad to know i'm not just crazy, because it definitely feels like something fucky is goin' on there.

>> No.5513013

I think the last level, its total lack of enemies and the fact, its re-used music and the glitches that can occur with the falling blocks, just show that the game was rushed to release. They probably did what they could with the time they had.

The game is pretty short after all.

>> No.5513024

>>5513010
I have beaten this game no death but that spot is still a total crapshoot. Even studied speedrunners to see how they approached the blocks but to no avail.

>> No.5513041

Friendly reminder that that's a Terminator game which was quickly reskinned to a generic Sci-Fi aesthetic after Sunsoft lost the franchise license.

>> No.5513047

>>5513013
>They probably did what they could with the time they had.
for sure, i don't doubt that one bit. grievances with this bit aside, it's been one of the best games i've played on my current NES binge.
>>5513024
>I have beaten this game no death
teach me your ways sensei. bet you were stressing pretty hard jumping across those blocks.
>>5513041
>generic Sci-Fi aesthetic
eh, maybe "classic" would be a better word. the soundtrack and overall aesthetic lend themselves to a pretty nice atmosphere, i think.

>> No.5513054

>>5513047
I meant generic in the "legally distinct." sense.

>> No.5513074

>>5513054
i see, i understand now. what were the details of that, anyway? if i'm not mistaken, didn't Sunsoft still release an NES Terminator game?

>> No.5513129

>>5513074
it's pretty simply as I laid it out. The license got pulled from Sunsoft mid-development - I can't say why. The Terminator game which did finally come out in 1992 was developed by Radical Entertainment, and you can see just what dreck it was in the AVGN review.

>> No.5513184
File: 203 KB, 1600x1200, JourneyToSiliusAnarchyEdition.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I happen to have a cart of Anarchy Edition, the first and during more than a decade it was the only, romhack of this game. It doesn't change much, some palswaps, weapon available, and gives a stage select; but it's pretty cool nonethless. It was never realized as a rom either.

>>5513047
>>5513024
>I have beaten this game no death

I have done it as well, multiple times. It's really not that hard as everything can be learnt.

There are however a couple of spots in the game where not tacking dmg is almost impossible. This is where the game design fails a little.

>> No.5513220

>>5513184
>It was never realized as a rom either.
Then dump it you fagoo

>> No.5513298

>>5513047
>stressing the blocks in that one level
It's pure luck I'm convinced the game is bugged in that spot, if he dies, he dies.
>teaching you the ways
a big key to this game is noticing that you can control where the camera is tracking your sprite (i don't know if that's the right way to describe it) basically , you can be at the far left or middle, or far right of the screen and this makes all the difference for dealing with baddies. Also, I do the piano finger, as I find it easier to mash with my index.
>speedrun autism trick
the speedrunners only use the normal gun during levels and then switch to the better missile sort of gun for bosses.
Best of luck fren, either way it's an awesome game with an even awesomer soundtrack

>> No.5513302

>>5512993
I just got a famicopy of this the other day. thankfully I get to play as the cool robot instead of the faggot kid

>> No.5513973

>>5513184
oh damn that sounds nice, way to make me jealous. really diggin' the art on that cart, too.
>>5513298
i'd say you described the tracking issue properly, i actually finally caught on to that on my last run through the level this morning. looking forward to making another run now that i'm aware of that, should be a pretty big game changer. i've also been using only the normal gun throughout levels, with the exception of the flying enemies in level 4.. i'll have to try taking care of them without missiles. thanks for wishing me luck, my dude!
>>5513302
i wasn't even aware of that difference until yesterday. while the robot is indeed more badass, i kinda find the kid endearing.