[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 120 KB, 300x222, marvelous.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
549736 No.549736 [Reply] [Original]

I've been wanting to play this game for a long time but it was only released in Japan. It looks like someone is working on a translation here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14179.0
The game looks a lot like A Link to the Past, I think it was made by the same guy who did Earthbound.

What are some Japan only retro games you wish you could play?

>> No.549757

Most of the worthwhile ones have been translated, or in the process of being translated.

Except Tengai Makyou Zero.

And according to my research, the only one interested in translating that game is byuu. Yes, the same asshole responsible for BSNES/higan. And I use a negative adjective because there's a very good chance that if he ever gets around to translating the game, he'll make it so that it only runs on his emulators.

I don't really hate the guy. I mean, I think it was him who reverse engineered SPC700, which was in fact what kept many people from attempting a translation themselves. But still...

>> No.549821

>>549736

Im playing this game. Im on the third chapter, it doesnt play like any Zelda game, is an adventure game, but not combat based (although it has some basic combat mechanics), its more puzzle based. I guess its possible to compare it with Lost Vikings since every characters has his own skills and items. Jack can jump, Max can dig holes on the ground, etc..

>> No.549872

>>549736
I remember seeing a whole article about this game in a Nintendo Power once. Looked pretty cool but then of course it was never released outside of Japan.

>> No.549949

SNES Goemon 2, 3 and 4, and Romancing SaGa 2 and 3. :(

>> No.550119

>>549757
Just spoke to Tashi, as we hang out in the same irc channel. See below for exact details from him:
some snes games have special chips , enhancement chips, inside the cartridges. Super mario rpg and marvelous among others use the sa-1 enhancement chip it's a cpu clocked at like 9mHz lightning fast man, snes cpu was 3mHz and sa-1 has its own ram and stuff. but no one has properly reverse engineered it to figure out exactly how it works but it actually isnt even an issue for marvelous. The script is uncompressed, and so is the font i didnt even have to insert an English font my patch uses the included english font it was made by the guy who made lozoot, lozmm, loztp, etc. and the main programmer also programmed lttp (but claims he did new code for marvelous)

>> No.550965

>>550119

Oh really? If he's actually making progress, that's awesome.

>> No.551710

>>549757
What is up with byuu?

I've seen him get really angry at the fan translation community, or maybe i'm thinking of D.

>> No.551729

>>551710

He is angry because fan translators dont use hacks properly because of their lack of knowledge...

They are actually doing the work for free... they are not supposed to know the SNES hardware like him.

>> No.553912

>>551710
SNES fan translations and other ROM hacks often are only tested on ZSNES, and as a result they do things that work on ZSNES but don't work on a real SNES or on a more accurate emulator. The main culprits are graphic/font hacks that access VRAM at the wrong time (on a real SNES you can only access VRAM during vertical blanking or when the screen is turned off), and music/sound hacks that rely on the echo buffer being in hammerspace rather than actually occupying RAM.

In byuu's view these hacks hold emulation back because when an emulator programmer tries to make his emulator more hardware-accurate, the result is that a bunch of translated and hacked ROMs stop working properly on it.

>> No.553970
File: 38 KB, 245x280, i_never_asked_for_this.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima (マーヴェラス ~もうひとつの宝島~?, lit. "Marvelous: Another Treasure Island") is a video game software for the Super Famicom. It was published and released in Japan by Nintendo. It is the first title designed by Eiji Aonuma.

>Eiji Aonuma

>> No.553987

>>553912
he's certainly got the right idea and it makes a lot of sense

but yeah he can be a total chodespangler about it

>> No.557193

Also Marvelous got a Satellaview release like BS Zelda. You should check it out OP.