[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 501 KB, 1920x1200, shoresofhell.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
548898 No.548898 [Reply] [Original]

DOOM THREAD

=====
Please READ this FAQ before posting, some stuff here is very important!
FAQ: http://pastebin.com/AfQkPem3
Also please READ this special message from Impse!
http://pastebin.com/BJYFUx20
=====
Doom setup tutorial for newfriends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0QyGyUmwh8
PRO DOOM STRATS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA
Steam Group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vrDOOM

=====
What's new?
[Insert summary of major shit that happened last thread]
[Also insert any major or interesting doom news]
=====

Discuss wads, stories, projects, servers, ask for recommendations, suggest ideas, etc; don't be shy, we're here to help!

We have many projects going, and if you want to share your maps or join in whatever thing you may want feel free to do it.

Remember, to join the /vr/ servers, you should get Zandronum
http://zandronum.com/download
Standard passwords for /vr/ servers: vidya, vidyagaems, videojuegos
If these do not work, ctrl+f the server name.

We have an IRC channel too

irc.zandronum.com #vr
password: vrtroopers

For singleplayer, use GZDoom SVN builds. vid_renderer can switch between software and OpenGL so you don't have to install zdoom as well.
http://svn.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

This is a begginer's pack someone kindly put up for everyone
IWAD Pack (40 MB) (Contains Doom/Doom2/Plutonia/TNT/Strife/HeXen/Heretic/etc)
http://www.mediafire.com/?jdl2pbv0vfv0b6n
Doom Pack (200 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/?zwhkju5l5d8mo9v
MEGA PACK (1 GB) (w/mirrors)
http://filewinds.com/ka0r1kpttoow/DOOM_Megapack.zip.html
https://mega.co.nz/#!Q5JD1QyB!UbMB9lwxtTsHFJW5FNU0emKXvqEpptZPKs_kVB8P_jc
http://www.mediafire.com/?a01dhq1jk7i3p

Let's get Dooming!

>> No.548914 [DELETED] 

>>548898
Wow, now your'e spamming? That's it, doomfags from /vg/ must go.

>> No.548921
File: 75 KB, 1280x800, tumblr_mhto1eUH9N1r2to8go1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.548926

>>548914
Eh? Nobody's spamming, one guy made a thread early and it got deleted.
Also, read the FAQ, it has the explanation of why we're not on /vg/

>> No.548935

hey guys i just found a really coolw ad in development! It's called classic rivalry and is about great fps heroes of old, randomizing their items, weapons, and enemies so that no two games are the same!

it actually came out before Samsara so I think it may have been ripped off, but oh well... :\

Here's the forum topic if your interested, and a download link to go!
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36053
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21142478/CLASSIC_RIVALRY.1.zip

>> No.548940

>>548926
Fuck your shitty faq. I wish you moved to /vg/. This is a general thread, it takes space on the front page. It's place is in /vg/. Your personal circumstances are irrelevant.

>> No.548950

>>548940
So just because our threads take up a single space that you can hide means we have to go to /vg/?
"We're not on /vg/ because the threads were being ignored. Even with expanded to 90s FPS General, we would be lucky if we even got 40 points before the thread died.
We moved to /vr/, and the threads fucking blossomed. We go through over a thread a day now. We asked on /q/ whether it was allowed, they said they'd be fine with it.
Strictly speaking, it is more of a "general" thread. We're not just discussing the games itself, we discuss the culture, the community, the mods, the source ports, and same-engine games, and even similar other games like Duke Nukem 3D and Rise of the Triad, but the mods accept it and we flourish here, while we were stagnating on /vg/. None of us want to go back to our floundering death."
As explained by a kind anon.

>> No.548953
File: 221 KB, 1071x914, We line now.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Finally getting further along in my second map now. Hopefully it'll be more interesting than my first. After the section on the left hand side I have about two more sections I want to add in.

>> No.548962

>>548953

Wow, seems promising. Can't wait. Also, thanks for reminding me I have to keep watching the DB tutorials

>> No.548961

>>548953
Damn, that looks nice

>> No.548971

>>548950
>So just because our threads take up a single space that you can hide means we have to go to /vg/?
I personally think that you ahve to go to /vg/ because you are maintaining a general thread.

Go make a general on /v/. You'll get banned. Why must you do this here, then? If mods don't support this sentiment, ok then. I hope they do, and you move.

>> No.548983

>>544443

Okay, it seems like from this post and others that no-mouse is preferred. The only thing is, it is still not certain whether or not the mouse and turn inputs can be disabled entirely in any zdoom-based port (searches I have done have not turned up anything promising; others are welcome to look for ways to accomplish that.)

Right now, since I don't know ACS beyond what I used in the /pol/ map, and a bit of extra reading I've done, I can't promise being able to do anything on your list. What I was hoping to accomplish by picking this up was to create a demo level (or, rather two demo levels) that are fun to play in the wasd-only and mouse-enabled styles of play, and hopefully attract others to the project that knew what they were doing with the physics scripting. I am positive that I can make those two such maps and mess around with the existing attributes for the carts to make them fun to play. I am also pretty sure that I can make it so that races can be won and reset players to a new race on the same map. Laps can either be accomplished through acs scripting, or if it doesn't lend itself to that, simply creating multiple copies of the map within the map and silently teleporting players to the next copy when they cross the finish line of the previous lap.

>brake button to slide (self-explanatory)

The easiest way to accomplish this would be to turn the crouch into the brake, probably.

As is the crouch button makes turning easier at the cost of speed in wasd, but it doesn't add sliding because sliding always happens. That's because I've approximated it through the use of low-friction floors (like the ice floors in hexen) and it works well as an approximation but probably isn't exactly what we want. But I don't see why someone who knows ACS well couldn't make it so that using the brake switched on the already-implemented ice floors physics.

>> No.548984

>>548971
Take your bitching to /q/ if you're really that riled up about it

>> No.548986

>>548961
Thanks.

>>548962
Yeah the tutorials on the site really helped, then I checked out some of chubz videos on various things and some other guy for instances on how to detail a bit. Of course I sometimes just drop everything and play something since there are some very nice looking maps out there.

>> No.548991

>>544646
>>544654
>>544663
>>544661
>>544692

If we're going to do a hub then I don't feel there is anything to be gained by resetting weapons from level to level. No hubs that I have ever seen in any doom game do this, and for good reason: making setting permanent without having a permanent character to go along with it makes moot a lot of the effort that went into making it a hub instead of a series of levels, and it clashes with the doom character who is already semi-permanent throughout a level.

Why go back to previous levels for stuff when all that's going to happen is two resets to your character? And what could that stuff even be that's worthwhile? Certainly not any already existing guns or armor or health or anything. We would have to create entirely new objects or powerups for any of the cross-level secrets to be worthwhile for the player.

And then there's the issue of how boring it's going to get when every level assumes you start with a pistol and builds from there. Levels where you need to use fists and pistol until you finally get the shotgun are very fun, but not when it's every single level. No one type of level is going to be fun when it's every single level. Sure you can have pistol starts that open up onto ammo/weapon stockpiles for some different-playing pistol starts, but why not just make it like a normal hub if we're going to put in the effort to make it a hub?

(continued)

>> No.548994

>>548991

What I think makes the most sense is having episode hubs; a good number of megawads these days have episodes with exit-on-death levels as episode ends to start the player off with a pistol afterwards. I don't see why we couldn't do the same for hubs; have 7-9 levels in a hub with the last area ending in player death before they start in a new hub. This not only creates plenty of room for lots of different map types (two mappers made a map01 or a map29 style map? No problem, just put them in different episodes) and allows us to use more hub ideas/designs but also makes the job of creating the hubs a lot easier; we don't have to bother with linking every single thing together.

As for the difficulty of balancing the levels across hubs and cross-hub secrets: it isn't as hard as you might think. For difficulty all it means is that some tweaking would be required when linking the levels into a hub. That just involves adding or removing monsters, which is easy enough to do. Secrets need a bit more preplanning but not much. Mappers can design switches or secret areas independently without necessarily having to know what they will trigger or be triggered by when they first make them. Here too, I think, the episode hub idea works out: for cross-level secrets it means the player won't have to traverse 20+ levels to find out what that one switch just did.

Back to the doomkart thing for a sec:

I'll have something some time next week at the earliest, and will try to keep you guys informed, but I might be AWOL for a bit as the in-laws are currently in town and that has me occupied.

>> No.549004

>>548983
So, do you think we could implement Mario Kart style weapons in it? Missiles for green shells, Revenant fireballs for red shells, and BFG blasts for blue shells etc?

>> No.549034

>>548991
>>548994
Then what's the fucking point of any of them giving you weapons at all?
the /pol/ map for instance gives you a BFG and a shitton of cells

>> No.549062

>>549004
I think there should be a few spam weapons. Like the damage should be doom style, with a percent damage and shit. Maybe have the weapons do a bit more damage though. Like rockets are 1 shot kills (then respawn), rev shots are maybe two, but cause you to spin out, plasma shots are minor, but slow you down a bit, so they can be spammed across a crowd of racers... That sort of thing. Super shotgun could be a 1 shot, but only up close.

Keeping it as doom flavored as possible.

>> No.549086

>>549034
>Get to the /pol/ map with a BFG with plenty of cells.
>A lot of parts are more trivial now.

>> No.549097

>>549062
Hrm, maybe we could have a bunch of health bottles as pickups, and the higher your health is, the faster you can go, like with coins?
And I like those ideas.

>> No.549108

>>549034
Health and armor
there not reset like the weapons are

>> No.549129

>>549034

Right, and then it kills your right after, like most episode end levels in megawads.

If you want to design a map that is designed to start the player with a pistol and 50 bullets only then go right ahead; it can be the first level for a hub if not map01 itself. Not everyone is going to map their levels the same way or even every level they map the same way.

>> No.549140

>>549004
Aren't the karts just players with tweaked physics and empty inventories? Just throw some respawning weapons on the track and you're halfway there.

Damage handling sounds tricky, though.

>> No.549162

>>549004

I think it was planned to be included from the start, but it's probably going to be implemented by someone other than me.

Also I think that bananas/mines should be replaced with explosive barrels.

>>549097

I like this idea.

What do you think about constantly decreasing health (albiet at a slow pace) until it reaches a bottom amount? Would make it harder for one player to get ahead and stay ahead.

>> No.549186

>>549129
Not reading the wall of text, just restating this from the last thread:

Resetting the player to 100 heath/0 armor/pistol start is trivial with ACS. There is zero reason to force mappers to design their levels with non-pistol starts in mind when it's so easy to accommodate it. The solution is simple - Create a hub that automatically resets the player's weaps/items/stats every time he enters it. So when you finish an individual level within the hub (and make it so that's the only way to return to the hub in the first place, lest we frustrate mappers by giving a convenient any-time escape route), the player sees the stats screen and gets spat back out into the hub, everything reset and ready for a new level.

>> No.549197

>>549162
I'd have 100% be the default... and after you get health bonus's and what not it goes up to 200% max, and drop steadily from there to 100% again.

>> No.549208

>>549162
>bananas/mines should be replaced with explosive barrels
The problem with that is that the barrels would have to be majorly downsized for there to be any chance of accidentally hitting them

>constantly decreasing health (albiet at a slow pace) until it reaches a bottom amount?
That would be pretty much necessary for balance, especially considering weapon damage rates.
A good benchmark would be 60% or such, and have everyone start off at 120% or so.
Armor shouldn't be constantly decreasing, but it shouldn't be as common as health.

>> No.549257

>>549197
This. And there could be pit stop lanes with medkits and stimpacks in them.

>> No.549263

>>549186
>There is zero reason to force mappers to design their levels with non-pistol starts in mind when it's so easy to accommodate it.

But why is it inherently harder to design a map with a non-pistol start in mind? Every level I've seen in a megawad that isn't map01 both provides enough ammo/weapons for a player to start with a pistol (for speedrunners) but isn't broken or less challenging when a player has weapons from a previous level. It's pretty easy to do.

Why are we going to the trouble of making a hub only to implement game design that is at odds with the hub aspect? At that point isn't the hub just an interactive lobby/intermission screen?

>> No.549268

>>549263
Yeah, and those megawads are also designed with weapon progression across the entire thing in mind.
Each of these maps has weapon progression across the single map in mind.

>> No.549273

>>549208
>The problem with that is that the barrels would have to be majorly downsized for there to be any chance of accidentally hitting them

That's true. Though I do think the barrels should be included somewhere in some capacity.

>> No.549281

Oh shit I got it.
we want the WASD controls to be the only ones you can use, right? So we make the mouse aim the weapons separately from moving the Kart.

>> No.549289

>>549273
We could make them a weapon that rolls behind you?

>> No.549290

>>549263
>Why are we going to the trouble of making a hub only to implement game design that is at odds with the hub aspect?

Why does making a hub out of this seem troublesome?

How is a default start at odds with a hub design?

I think you're getting too hung up on the idea of hubs from Hexen and Strife, and not really seeing the point of this hub - a simple way to connect the levels in a logical yet nonlinear way. The whole idea of "I'm on 4chan, which board do I visit first?" is the sort of idea expressed through this hub design, that a player has freedom of choice in which level he plays when. It has nothing to do with carrying weapons/equipment/items across each individual level, and there's no need to add that extra overhead to mappers who have already completed maps with the default start in mind.

>> No.549307

>>549281
Some weapons of course, like the pistol can be free-aimed, and some like the chaingun can only be fired dead ahead.

>> No.549309

What are soem was /vr/ has made?

>> No.549318

>>549268

Some ACS magic and having two doors in hub is an even simplier solution without any debate, one door keeps weapons, other one resets them via;
http://zdoom.org/wiki/ChangeLevel

Some times not having a decision and keeping both options is better.

>> No.549319

>>549268
>Yeah, and those megawads are also designed with weapon progression across the entire thing in mind.
>Each of these maps has weapon progression across the single map in mind.

Which maps? /tg/ and /pol/? Those are the only two completed so far, so there's a lot of flexibility when it comes to what we want to do with the rest of them. And even those maps could be changed if we were so inclined.

The only weapons that you really need to restrict across levels are the plasma gun and the bfg, and possibly the rocket launcher. That can be done with either access to the guns or ammo for them. Maybe restrict access to the backpack too if you want.

If you read my wall of text, I also already pointed out that with a pistol start and progression at each level you're going to end up with a bunch of levels that feel the same or a bunch of levels that open up onto a ammo/weapon stockpile.

>> No.549320

>>549273
Seems to me like it would be useful against tailgaters, deadly in bottlenecks, and even usable as a makeshift shield if you're about to eat a BFG shot or something. Getting hit with your own barrel's splash damage sounds troublesome, though. If it blows up behind you maybe its knockback could work in your favor?

>> No.549327

>>549289

Sure!

I just think it's too integral of an element of doom to not be put in it. It'd be like not having any cacodemons.

>> No.549324

>>549309
Check the FAQ

And your keyboard as well

>> No.549326

>>549309

I think there was a list somewhere, Faqqet seems to have it

>> No.549329

>>549309
The FAQ has a pastebin link with all the /vr/-made wads.

>> No.549330

>>549257
It would be cool if the pitstops were along side the weapons, so you have to choose whether or not you want to shoot shit or go fast.

>> No.549332

>>549319
I think it would be more appropriate if each level had pistol start, since most boards are largely unconnected

Special cases could be made though, like all the vidya boards

>> No.549335

>>549327
Question now is what do we want to make our boxes, should they be blank spheres?
or maybe something else?

>> No.549340

>>549335
>tfw you realize you've been entering your tripcode wrong

>> No.549346

>>549290

So we're making an interactive lobby/intermission screen?

>> No.549350

>>549290

Then I take it we aren't having any cross-level secrets?

>> No.549349

>>549335
just a sprite of the weapons switching through. Maybe a glow effect on there...

>> No.549353
File: 685 KB, 500x281, 1363838390010.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>That feel when playing Russian Overkill

>> No.549363

>>549330
Do we need boxes? You could just put the actual weapons on the track, possibly making it random which weapon is going to show up in which spot.

>> No.549359

>>549349
Alright, sounds cool.
Also, I think that you should be able to switch weapons you've picked up, but you still only can hold the single one of each weapon at a time.
Maybe the pistol should have unlimited ammo, do barely any damage, and cause no slowdown?

>> No.549370

>>549349
>>549335
Maybe spheres with the weapon sprites in them?

>> No.549395

>>549346
I'm not sure what more you'd want out of the hub level in the first place.

>>549350
The individual mappers could put in references to other boards as they see fit. Plus if two mappers really wanted to work together to do some cross-board shenanigans, they could accomplish that themselves through ACS as well.

>> No.549401
File: 18 KB, 400x400, Cacomack.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

VERSION 8 OF THE DOOM IMAGES FOLDER:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sp9f1ga0o1tcr49

I love seeing pictures posted on here with the filenames I gave them

>> No.549409

>>549401
I love that you used my superman edit in this
I'm touched

>> No.549405

>>549363
Whoops, replied to the wrong post. I was going to ask if medkits should heal you past 100%, but I got sidetracked by item boxes.

>> No.549447

>>549395

So we are essentially adding in a superfluous level that serves the same purpose as the intermission screen from doom1, while at the same time adopting a gameplay element (fresh pistol start at each level) that none of the official releases and almost no well known mapsets (can't think of any that DO, but I'm sure there are some) feature and will in fact lessen the importance of inter-level secrets without extra items/mechanics being added, all to prevent future potential mappers the burdensome task of tweaking monsters and items, even though that's something that's done for all megawads and designing levels to be mid-game levels is something that's done regularly?

Am I missing something?

>> No.549463

Oh shit I just realized I botched my own pasta.
Sorry.

>> No.549475
File: 482 KB, 500x789, A_UHtvbCAAEe1p7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I herd /v/ likes that "Immersion/Deep Sea" thing...

>Just an idea for the /v/ WAD

>> No.549498

>>549475
somebody knows what it means the last image from "casual scum" to the last one?

>> No.549494

>>549475
>Farming/Train Simulation
>.wad
>programming
Well, I must be beyond saving.
>>549401
Please use the OP from this
http://pastebin.com/tYs08TA8

>> No.549495

>>549447

survival doesn't have weapons transfer between levels

>> No.549496

>>549447

The thing you are missing is that the levels won't form a coherent wad/mappack and the hub is just a fancy map selection menu.

I'll be suprised if more then three maps can be put together.

>> No.549519

>>549496

Then why even bother with the hub?

At that point just load them all together in a rar or merge them into one .wad and tell people to changemap between them.

>> No.549524

So what would you guys think (If sprite guy or someone else was up to it of course) if we had a Samsara thing going on, and have racers like BJ and Mecha-Hitler etc?

>> No.549530

>>549447
>serves the same purpose as the intermission screen from doom1

No, it's a hub that allows a player to select which individual level he wishes to play at any time without forcing him to use cheats. Basically provide an upfront method to warp to maps that's less crude than forcing the player to idclev to maps, all while still fitting with the theme of the levelset. (4chan hub for going to different boards)

>none of the official releases and almost no well known mapsets feature

Again, not applicable to this hub. Stop getting hung up on "Other games do it like this so we have to as well!"

>lessen the importance of inter-level secrets without extra items/mechanics being added

Because the individual mappers can't accommodate this themselves when they feel they need to? Not every board would have a reason to have some inter-level secret, and the few that do would probably be obvious ones that mappers could coordinate themselves.

>prevent future potential mappers the burdensome task of tweaking monsters and items

Why present the extra burden? Furthermore, what about mappers who want to choreograph the map to a specific sequence of obtaining weapons/items? For example, the /pol/ map's SSG/shrek room, the whole joke loses weight if the player ran in there with the SSG to begin with. What if other mappers do similar things?

>> No.549545

>>549524
I certainly wouldn't mind.

>>549496
Go look at Hexen, for fucks sake.

>> No.549564

>>549498

What?

>> No.549570

>>549530
>For example, the /pol/ map's SSG/shrek room, the whole joke loses weight if the player ran in there with the SSG to begin with.

No it doesn't, because the reason he's told to check his SSG privilege is the fact that of all the weapons in the game, the SSG and the BFG are the only weapons the doomguy has that monsters don't.

>> No.549569

>>549524
>BJ and Mecha-Hitler

MY MONEY

>> No.549572

>>549569
>Mecha-Hitler
Actually, that reminds me.
Whatever happened to that one "play as the villains" spinoff Terminus was working on?

>> No.549576

>>549530
>Because the individual mappers can't accommodate this themselves when they feel they need to? Not every board would have a reason to have some inter-level secret, and the few that do would probably be obvious ones that mappers could coordinate themselves.

Okay, let me phrase this a different way.

There are two maps, and a switch on one activates a secret area on the other. Weapons and health reset between levels.

What is in that secret area that is worthwhile for the player? Do you not see how resetting weapons and health lessen the importance of secrets?

>> No.549584

>>549401
Oh wow, looking through these 2 are mine.
MSPaint Caco and Doomguy confused after ripping and tearing
>>549498
idonteven
what
>>549569
YOU ARE RICH
THAT MEANS YOU HAVE LODSEMONEY
SPEND AND THROW
SPEND AND THROW YOUR MONEY

>> No.549597

>>549530
>Why present the extra burden?

It really isn't much of a burdern.

>Furthermore, what about mappers who want to choreograph the map to a specific sequence of obtaining weapons/items?

Then place the map in a point in one of the episodes where it makes sense.

>> No.549607

>>549570
Even if that was the point of the joke, it still breaks the flow of it when the player already has the gun. In it's current setup, the player gets the SSG for the first time in that room, then runs into the whole joke sequence. It connects the item acquisition to the following events. Having the SSG to begin with breaks that flow.

>>549576

>There are two maps, and a switch on one activates a secret area on the other. Weapons and health reset between levels.
>What is in that secret area that is worthwhile for the player? Do you not see how resetting weapons and health lessen the importance of secrets?

Why make such a simplistic secret for cross-board references? A better approach would be to unlock entire areas or activate some sort of elaborate scripted sequence based on what the player has done on each board beforehand.

>> No.549682

>>549494
I'm not in charge of making new threads for... reasons.
Are you the same person as Faqqer?
If you are then why did you leave the Steam group?

>> No.549724

>>549682
My previous name with this trip was Faqqer, but my name on steam is neither.

>> No.549730

>>549724
I know that your steam name wasn't Faqqer, but you left the group and blocked me. I was gonna see if I could get you upgraded to a Mod of the group.

>> No.549741

>>549730
I never was in the group, actually. And I blocked you because I don't like being messaged on steam (makes sense right)

>> No.549782

>>549498
>>549564
>>549584
He's talking about the levels, i think the last one says "zalgo" or something like that...

I dont remember exactly, but i think he was trying to say that...

>> No.549794

>>549741
Hate to interject, but why would you have steam up in the first place if you didn't want to be messaged?

>> No.549805

>>549794
Because steam isn't just IM and there are some people that I actually do talk to.

>> No.549831
File: 23 KB, 953x576, VOTE NOW.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>549401
>thumbs.db
pr0

>> No.549837

Figure I'd ask, does anyone know of any mods similar to Partical Enhancement mod? It's good but some of the effects are little guady.

Does beautiful doom change much of the gameplay?

>> No.549864

>>549837
It forces you to turn on sv_smartaim because it doesn't trust you to not accidentally shoot a light.
It looks ok, and I mostly don't notice it.

>> No.549901

>>548971
please tell that to the Gamecenter CX and the RollerCoaster Tycoon threads

>> No.549903
File: 14 KB, 145x160, 1364520294382.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>playing Doom with the keyboard
>having trouble in fucking E1M1

Purists are fucking masochists.

>> No.549919

>>549903
I beat the entirety of E1 on UV with keyboard only.
Quit bein bad at videogames.

>> No.549921

>>549903
Play with 34X controls

>> No.549936

>>549903
I played through the first 2 episode of doom1 on normal difficulty wiht keyboards controls because i forgot my mouse during christmast once (i play on my laptop)

You get used to it and its not that bad, granted mouse is 1000x superior but its playable at least.

>> No.549941
File: 57 KB, 300x322, ID Software stares at you with mild contempt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>549903
I didn't realize there were people in this thread who were born in 2003.

>> No.549953

>>549903
Not a purist, but this is making me want to do a keyboard only ultraviolence run just to show you how awfulbad you are.

>> No.549957
File: 121 KB, 1366x768, Help me please.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay, so I'm making a room, the schematic is in the inset, and I'm trying to make it so that light is coming out from the computer screen, but when I load it up, it isn't.
At all.

>> No.549971

>>549957
Spam Make Sector mode. Everywhere.

>> No.549980

>>549957
Did you check for any map errors?

>> No.549981

>>549971
That was my first reaction

>> No.549986

http://www.youtube.com/user/Aquarius199?feature=watch

>uses iddq on almost everything
>thinks that terry's wads should be reviewed
>his fucking DA page

So Im guessing that every fanbase had one autistic in them?

>> No.549991
File: 29 KB, 522x391, Visual.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It looks fine in visual mode

>> No.549993

>>549986
He's still nowhere near as bad as Ceeb.

>> No.550008

>>549986
>one
If only there was just one.

>> No.550003

>>549991
All I can say is probably delete the sectors you want to have light in and redo them.

>> No.550005

>>549993
>Ceeb
W-Who's ceeb?

>> No.550034

>>549991
You should still spam Make Sector

>> No.550043

>>549986
Anyone got a link to the thread where someone was trying to make a gay furry dating sim in ZDoom?

>> No.550047

>>550005
Why does Ceeb soud familiar?

>> No.550054

>>550034
Or maybe exiting the application and booting it back up. Sometimes Doom Builder 2 glitches out on me and won't allow me to make sectors so I just re-enter it.

>> No.550050

>>550043
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23731

>> No.550082

>>550047
You've either
a) Seen him in the credits of some Realm667's resources
b) Seen his "Fox with a mullet" character that he's commissioned in billions of hyper fetishist furry porn images if you're into that shit
He's basically the only furry that managed to be enough of a sperglord to get banned from ZDoom.org

>> No.550083
File: 222 KB, 449x401, laughing imps.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>549903
>being that bad

>> No.550105

>>550082
You forgot JMAA who made >>550050

>> No.550110
File: 97 KB, 150x150, FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>549919
>>549941
For lack of a better term, it's artificially difficult. It doesn't make the enemies themselves any harder. It makes simple thing like turning a corner or fucking aiming near impossible.

It's like walking along a frozen river with marbles scattered about. Backwards. While trying to shoot the twelve monsters surrounding you.

>>549936
I understand that you're able to grow used to it, but my question is what's the point? Why learn how to conform to such primitive ways of playing when it's not even necessary, nor does it have any redeeming qualities? It's fucking illogical.

Don't get me wrong; I love a challenge. But I just don't see how stupid shit like this improves my gaming experience in any way, or anyone else's gaming experience, for that matter.

It's like that experiment where they gave rats the choice between food and pleasure. Only this time, there are only pleasure and pain buttons, and the purist rats are repeatedly pressing the pain button and flipping off the rats that are pressing the pleasure button because they're "2casual4pain".

Or something.

>> No.550118

>>550110
hold alt to strafe, big help right there.

>> No.550125

>>550118
Except you can't turn while doing so.

>> No.550126

>>550110
For me it was necessity and because it was the first time i actualy played doom instead of playing a little and getting afraid when i was a kid

>> No.550135

>>550110
Make WASD your movement and strafe keys, then your arrow keys to turn, back to open doors, forward to fire? Or is that cheating?

>> No.550143

>>550135
i was actualy using ijkl for turning, i for shooting and o for reseting the view.

>> No.550147
File: 7 KB, 243x265, fun.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550135
No, that's not the pure way.

>> No.550154

>>550110
Rebind your keys to something smart and it's pretty much just as easy as using a mouse. I used to use it to play Skulltag on a touchpad laptop.

>> No.550168
File: 127 KB, 256x192, STOP FUCKING POSTING.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550125
THEN LET GO OF THE STRAFE BUTTON IF YOU WANT TO TURN

>> No.550175

>>550168
But then you can't strafe while doing so.

>> No.550182

>>550175
, and . strafe
so you can strafe and turn at the same time

>> No.550186

>>550175
Stop playing video games because you're not coordinated enough to play them properly

>> No.550192

>>550147
Has anyone tried playing Doom with mouse only?

>> No.550198

>>550192
Yeah. I bro-oped with my mother and played through E1 local (via ReMooD) on UV, she did mouse only and did pretty good.

>> No.550207

>>550192
Are we talking multi-button gaming mouse or standard left-right-and-scrollwheel mouse?

>> No.550212

>>549903
But doom has mouse support in vanilla.

>> No.550214

>>550175
YOU DON'T NEED TO
IT'S CALLED CO-ORDINATION

>> No.550229

>>550192
It's cool as long as you don't change weapons.

>> No.550241
File: 148 KB, 800x600, Screenshot_Doom_20130426_100200.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>http://www.mediafire.com/?2k65fy7ln0zp7pi
More monster tweaks! Changelog!
- Shotguns and chaingun now fire non-hitscan, like the zombies!
- Cacodemons now spit up three cacobabies! If raised, the cacobabies are raised as well!
- THE RETURN OF THE HELLTHROWER ARCHVILE.
- I decide I should probably put together a feature list for this, but I'm too lazy!

If you could change any one monster in any way, what would it be?

>> No.550257

>>550241
Three cacobabies when killed, even, and by 'raised', I mean raised by an archvile!

>> No.550262

>>550241
Is that some HateArena I see?

>> No.550259

>>550241
Are you just going to go crazy with some of them? If so then make it so any Lost Soul a Pain Elemental spits out can turn into a Revenant given enough time.

>> No.550269

>>550259
I'm aiming for making monsters a bit tougher, but not tough enough to be impossible. It'll even be easier in some cases, like zombies, shotgunners, and chaingunners being less accurate at a distance. They're zombies, after all.

>>550262
That was me goading the archvile into hitting the caco, then using the 'freeze' cheat to take a screenshot, mostly to demonstrate the vile's fire.

>> No.550280

>>550241
>Script error, "Projectile.pk3:decorate.txt" line 8: "DOHARMSPECIES" is an unknown flag

What source port should I be playing this in?

>> No.550289

>>550280
(G)Zdoom, what else would you be playing for SP?

>> No.550287

>>550280
Either ZDoom or GZDoom. Personally, I'm running the latter to test, but it should work in the former as well.

>> No.550297
File: 29 KB, 283x357, KNOBGOBBLING FUCKMINTS I'M GOING TO BREAK MY HEAD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550168
But I want to strafe and turn at the same time, as well as fire.

My left pinky's on LCTRL while the three first fingers of my right hand are on the arrow keys. Now, let's pretend ALT+LEFT/RIGHT doesn't exist, since I doubt anyone actually uses that. If I want to strafe, I have two options...

I can take my left hand and put it over the PERIOD and COMMA area and keep my right hand where it is. This retains my ability to walk and turn, as well as strafe now, but I have to resort to using RCTRL (which is squished in between the two) to fire. Both of my hands are now together in the same spot, throwing every one of my actions into a finely concentrated pile of Grade A clusterfuck.

OR I can leave my left hand where it is, and move my right hand to the PERIOD and COMMA area. This retains the firing key's original independent section, as well as the ability to strafe in a more controlled manner, but removes my ability to turn and move forward. I can now only move and fire on a one dimensional line, which poses as a problem if every enemy isn't only in front of you.

It's not as complicated as I'm making it out to be, but it's still a pants-on-head retarded control scheme, and you have no reason to use it as long as the WASD+MOUSE scheme exists. No reason.

>> No.550303

>>550110
Thanks for raging. Gave me the incentive to go through 1994 Tune Up with keyboard controls. Shit was so cash.

>> No.550308

>>550297
If they want to play Doom on a DDR dance pad let them. I don't care about anyone's method of controller input. This is a big fuss about nothing.

>> No.550307

>>550289
Zandronum

>> No.550319

>>550297
Vanilla doom has mouse support.

>> No.550316
File: 158 KB, 256x192, miles-damage(d).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550297
Leave everything to default.
Bind Z and X to strafe left/right.
It's not that fucking hard.

>> No.550324

>>550319
His original point was that keyboard controls were hard.
>>549903

>> No.550328

>>550324
Then why fucking bother using the keyboard controls? Just shut up and use mouse if you're really this bad.

>> No.550332

>>550328
>if you're really this bad

THIS right here is what I mean. This.

>> No.550348

>>550332
Nigger I got through E1 on my first try with no deaths with a keyboard.

>> No.550352

>>550328
>muh purity!

Vanilla Doom had mouse controls, so this is a really stupid thing to be a snob about.

>> No.550356

>>550352
It also had a settings thingie, so you can bind your controls.
I bound mine to WASD/arrowkeys
works like a charm

>> No.550359

>>550348
That's great. That's fantastic. Kudos to you.

Now read the last part of >>550297 again.

>> No.550362

>>550359
Yeah, it's a retarded control scheme.
But you can fucking change it, so why bother?

>> No.550372

>>550362
Exactly. Why bother submitting yourself to that clusterfuck of a scheme when you could change it to something much more logical?

>> No.550373
File: 37 KB, 500x500, le_rape_face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any anons who know DECORATE around?
I need to know how to change an actor's speed during certain states. You would think there would be something like A_SetSpeed or A_SetProperty, but apparently there isn't?

>> No.550370

>>550359
>you have no reason to use it as long as the WASD+MOUSE scheme exists. No reason.
I use a laptop.
I travel.
I can NOT play with a touchpad, I do NOT want to lug a bulky mouse to every coffee shop and plug it in to just play Doom.
So instead, I pick up and play with keyboard controls.

>> No.550375

>>550370
Who the fuck games on a laptop?

>> No.550379

>>550375
I do.

>> No.550381

>>550373
http://zdoom.org/wiki/SetActorProperty

>> No.550382

>>550373
I figured it out when I did the flamevile. What you want is A_ScaleVelocity.

>> No.550389

>>550375
Doom is one of the only games that runs well on my crappy laptop

>> No.550394

>>550373
>not calling it le_rip_face.jpg

>> No.550408

>>550370
You could use a wireless mouse.

>> No.550412

>>550375
And I as well.

>> No.550418

>>550375

Hi, I do.
Mod on a laptop, too!

>> No.550419

>>550375
I do.

>> No.550436
File: 5 KB, 200x200, slot1-friction[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550394

Well, that's kind of redundant...you know...

>>550297

>Doomguy's reaction at spongebob

>> No.550437

>>550370
i played through the whole of Plutonia on a trackpad, on a piece of shit laptop handed out by my old school, it took many save states and failing but i got there in the end

>> No.550430

>>550375
I'm using my laptop because my desktop is out of commission. So I'm stuck with doom, but doom is awesome.

>> No.550431
File: 61 KB, 633x397, untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550356
I like to edit the config file manually, to raise the mouse sensitivity higher than it'd normally go.

>> No.550438
File: 6 KB, 236x256, le wolfenstein.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550394
>le

>> No.550445

>>550408
My point is that if I use one of those I still gotta pull it out and plug it in and start it up and then oh look my coffee's done.

>>550431
Who the fuck doesn't?

>> No.550447

>>550381
>http://zdoom.org/wiki/SetActorProperty
That is one of the ways I was looking to do it, but I would need to have the script in a library instead of in the map itself, and I have no clue how to call a named script from a library with DECORATE.

>>550382
Doesn't seem to work at all.

>> No.550490

>>550445
>Who the fuck doesn't?
People who know how to use the "sensitivity=" line in Dosbox.

>> No.550508
File: 41 KB, 240x348, The BFG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550490
>dosbox

>> No.550530

>>550508
>pure DOS

Dosbox is legit, dude. Doom wasn't designed to be played in DOS, it was simply designed to be played. Any way you play it, that's good for you. :)

>> No.550539

Who wants to play who dun it
I got some guys over and want to show them some doom

>> No.550545

>>550539
Why are you showing them WDI as their first taste of Doom
Do Samsara or some actiony shit.

>> No.550552

>>550539
then why whodunit? show em some RIP AND TEAR

>> No.550553

>>550539
I think people are a little tired of WDI. You are probably better off showing them shotgun frenzy or something because WDI can be pretty boring as a spectator sport.

>> No.550548

>>550375
me, i have my laptop on me 24/7

>> No.550558

>>550530
>Doom wasn't designed to be played in DOS, it was simply designed to be played.
The best thing that can possibly be said about purism and source ports.

>> No.550579

Well i won't do that but how do i fix
Client binary cannot be obtained error for game

>> No.550575
File: 69 KB, 456x386, Stop It.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread so far...

I mean its ok to discuss the control scheme and to say that its pants on head retarded just dont be /v/ and tell each other youre pleb because of that.

>> No.550601

>>550575
Wot
Sure we threw the words around but we certainly did back up our opinions.

>> No.550610

>>550601
Not really, it was just people saying "OHH ITS TOO FUCKIN HARD" then another guy saying "FUCK YOU ITS NOT TOO HARD" over and over again

>> No.550620

>>550601
>Hey guys this control shceme is kinda retarded
>Not really, you can deal with it
this far its good
>Nah, you must be retarded to use it
>Yust be a pleb/newfag if you cant use it
not cool

I have no problems with debate and stuff like that, its just not the place for insults.

>> No.550628

>>548935
zygo, GTFO. Enough of your "bawwww samsara ripped this off".

>>548971
Because it's /so damned important/.

>> No.550630
File: 44 KB, 500x358, tumblr_lt8sh0w6Ft1qa31k6o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Everyone's tastes are different. No two people are not on fire. Awww.

>> No.550641

>>550630
fucking archviles

>> No.550672

Not that I'm trying to fuel the fire, but why are people suddenly having such a hard time with the Doom threads? There's been one on here since the day /vr/ started. It's just a part of the board now. I honestly feel weird when I don't see a Doom thread.

>> No.550689

>>550672
There are people in this world that derive joy purely from getting the reaction they want. And on the internet, they know just how to get it.

>> No.550686

>>550672
Because they are turbo sperglords. Just ignore them because they will always be at it.

>> No.550695

>>550672
Because the doom threads have been turning into nothing but shitposts and circlejerks.

>> No.550705

>>550672
But there is always one? Impse and I try to maintain these threads, eg when bump limit is reached we make a new one.

>> No.550710

>>550705
I have one suggestion on this. Try not to make a new one until the one that hit the bump limit sinks off of the first page.

>> No.550718

>>550710
Why bother? It's going to start sinking anyway, and you can just hide them.

>> No.550730

>>550710
I support this. Daily I see people come in here saying "Why do you guys spam /vr/ with your threads!", and sometimes shitposting starts with one of these comments.

>> No.550734

>>550695
>nothing but shitposts and circlejerks

This I agree with. It's starting to feel really in-crowd in here sometimes, and on an anonymous message board that's not a good thing.

>> No.550742

>>550735
this is so terrible that i refuse to add it to my images folder

>> No.550735
File: 540 KB, 804x1200, doom_marine_concept_by_peterman2070-d57tr07.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550710

We always do. Sometimes we reach page 2 or 3 before making the new one.

Also

>Doomguy the way Tom Hall wanted

>> No.550738

>>550718
Just so there would be moments that there won't be two threads on the same page. It isn't like posting in a thread that hit its bump limit will hurt anything and it wouldn't be 404'ing anytime soon due to the post rate of the board.

>> No.550750

>>550730
I've only seen this once or twice and I've been in every thread.
>>550738
These threads have been going a bit... slow.. lately. We can't really do that, it'd take a long while.

>> No.550743

>>550734
That's why I stopped bothering with these threads.

All it is is IRC/threads circlejerking, glorifying one person while shitting on another. It's turning into the zandronum forums.

I think these doom threads were better off on /v/ or dead.

>> No.550745

>>550735
so masterchief

>> No.550748

>>550735
They should have made his armor red since they were on Mars. That or grey to blend in with the walls.

>> No.550774

>>550735
That uniform makes a lot of sense for a cold Martian climate. Not rip'n'tear enough though.

Also, Tom Hall is a mumbling sperg who likes Commander Keen more than Doom.

>> No.550786
File: 298 KB, 1280x800, Screenshot_Doom_20130426_223101.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.550787
File: 7 KB, 96x85, Rider.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Hi-yo, Pinky, awaaaaayyy!!!

>> No.550797

>>550735
I can see why it looks the way it does. Sort of a combo of modern military technology and the fact that Mars is in reality, a cold barren wasteland of a planet.

>> No.550795

>>550774
>mumbling sperg

The guy had a stroke.

>> No.550810

>>550786
What are you doing in hell Darian, you're suppose to be worshiping some Mexican dark god and stuff

>> No.550817

>>550735
Should have done that for Doom 3 at least. I think he has lights mounted at the base of his neck.

>> No.550821

>>550743
>glorifying one person while shitting on another
The fuck?

>> No.550830

>>550821
Enter: /vr/ shitting on the Doomkart guy, or blasting some dude from the /vr/ servers nonstop.

>> No.550840

>>550821
Discussing about tripfags should be avoided, they tend to derail the thread faster than /v/ makes a shitpost.

Just try to ignore anything that seems like bait please.

>> No.550843

>>550840
>says so with a tripcode

>> No.550848
File: 66 KB, 625x626, 1366853128545.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550843

>> No.550849

>>550610
Nobody was even annoyed. Chill out.

>> No.550850

>>550843
>discusses a tripfag

>> No.550871

>>550867
>>550848
This is responding to bait.
This is what not to do.

>> No.550867
File: 110 KB, 625x626, 1366853351072.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550850

>> No.550878

HEY GUYS IGNORING FESTERING SHIT
I'm looking for a good megawad. I've played AV and SOD, and I'm looking for something that might go well with Brutal, since I haven't played it in a while.

>> No.550876

>>550795
Oh okay, did the stroke somehow magically cure his Asp*rger's? Because I can't imagine a neurotypical adult being so obsessed with Commander Keen that he'd create a kickst*rter for a lame "spiritual successor."

>> No.550887
File: 2.33 MB, 512x287, 1360980386688.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550867

>> No.550893

>>550878
Hell Revealed 2

>> No.550897

>>550878
Hellcore 2.0 is full of interesting levels. Likewise, Epic 2.

>> No.550923

>>550878
Rebirth? Scythe or Scythe 2?

>>550382
Ah! I did more searching along this line and found A_ChangeVelocity, and it does what I want.

>> No.550935

>>550867
>>550848
You're STILL responding you faggot.

>> No.550936

>>550735
I kinda like it. Not for DOOM, but as a design for a soldier on a martian base it's pretty cool...

>> No.550949

So, how exactly do I make it so that killing a certain group of monsters triggers an action?

>> No.550950

>>550949

Just like Dead Simple and the Mancubi?

>> No.550957

>>550950
>Dead Simple
Yeah, I've looked through tutorials, but none i've found seem to touch on that.

>> No.550962

>>550949
Sounds interesting.

>> No.550996

>>550957
>>550949
A_BossDeath

>> No.550998
File: 120 KB, 1280x720, LordMormont.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>550735
>>550735
I like the idea of it but it looks faggoty and half-assed.

Pic related is an example of a guy who is RIP N TEAR as fuck, while still being dressed for the climate.

>> No.551000

>>550957
There's multiple ways. The way I usually do it is to make a few ACS scripts. Each time a guy (with Script_execute as their special) is killed they execute a script that makes a variable go up by one. Once that variable hits a certain value, the sectors you want to move do so.

>> No.551017

>>550957
It's special actions that only function on certain maps (in the original game anyway). For example, in e1m8 the floor of a sector with tag 666 will lower to its lowest neighbor once all Barons are killed.

In ZDoom there are a few ways to recreate the behavior, either with scripts, using mapinfo to give your map the same behavior, or using A_BossDeath to define something like that for a custom monster.

>> No.551025

>>550957
When I used just A_bossDeath it didn't work.
Then and I used A_bossDeath and made the monster inherit from the Baron, and it worked.

>> No.551029

>>550957
I think Dead Simple's triggers are actually hard-coded in the executable.

>> No.551064

>>551029
If I remember right they're coded to the map number. So if you're on map12 (or whatever dead simple is, i forget, fuck you) you can use a sector tag of 666 or something like that... Again, I can't remember. Whatever. That's the best you'll get out of me.

>> No.551154

...there's a /tg/ doom map? Is there a youtube link?

>> No.551158

>>550787
Doomkart dlc confirmed

>> No.551175

>>551000
Better way to do it:

while (ThingCount(T_MANCUBUS, mancTID)) { Delay(1); }
/* do shit */

That way, you can still have the fatsos do something on death.

>> No.551179

>>551158
DAY 1 DLC?!? BLUNDER OF THE CENTURYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

[/shitposting]

>> No.551212

>>551158
>>551179
But seriously, I'd love to see something like >>550787 in doomkart, assuming the work /pol/map guy is doing pans out. We'd be playing kart racing in doom. We'd have more than a little room for wacky bullshit.

>> No.551219

>>551212
Yeah, especially if we have a Samsara thing going.

>> No.551224

>>551219
No, stop it with the samsara.

>> No.551229

>>551224
Why?

>> No.551235

>>551154
There is, but it's really not very good. I made it and basically themed small areas after the chaos god. I'm planning to remake it once my desktop is working again.

Slaanesh's is the simplest (even after Khorne's, surprisingly). Tzeentch's is... not.

>> No.551230

>>551224
Come on, racing as Chex Warrior and Mecha Hitler?

>> No.551238

>>551224
>that one guy who doesnt like Samsara

>> No.551239

>>551235
>>551154
Is a /tg/ doom map, even. No youtube that I'm aware of.

>> No.551256

>>551224
>>551230
>not racing as mecha-hitler in his dual prop iron eagle plane, symbol of the reich, with swastika shaped propellers
sheeEET nigga you dumb

The plane works for karting because it's too damn heavy to fly

>> No.551269

>>551229
It's overused. WAY overused. It's boring, it's pointless, and no one uses it for anything but invasion anymore.

>> No.551275

>>551269
So, if noone uses it for anything but invasion anymore, why don't we change that?

>> No.551279

>>551269
>and no one uses it for anything but invasion anymore.
>there was a server for co-op
>for DM
>and for CTF
uhhh
sure okay

>> No.551324

>>551279
Tell me.

How often do those last, and how often are they made?

I'm going to answer this question by telling you a) almost never and b) barely anyone comes on there. No one bothers with anything else but samsara and invasion, and I know because I stare at the server list waiting for something worthwhile to pop up that people are playing. The only exception to this rule is anything Terminus (cyberrunner) or WDI, which is nothing but people yelling at each other to stop beating everyone up for no good reason. We COULD have a decent server that's not terminus or WDI but apparently MM8BDM is hated, and so are a lot of others.

>> No.551330

>>551269
Also, way to reading comprehension friend. Samsara was brought up in reference to doomkart. People were talking ideas for doomkart and the idea of having non-doom (but still doom-era) characters came up, a-la-samsara. That's what he meant by "if we still do that samsara thing".

>> No.551334
File: 68 KB, 480x800, 1330241306417.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551324
I dunno about your staring, man, but just two days ago there was a Samsara DM that lasted way into the night.

>> No.551339

>>551324
Go read the FAQ and make a BE server of your own with the mods you'd like to see man. From what I understand it isn't too tough. And if no one plays it, try again some other time. Different people have different tastes and we're not all here 24/7 (as made obvious by you missing >>551334).

>> No.551347

Minor tweaks and twists, and also...

Lost souls have much less health, and may now revive monsters at the cost of their own existence.

Pain Elementals are now very, very mean things. Even upon death.

>> No.551341

>>551334
They're too much of a rarity.

Either way they're overused. We should play something else.

>> No.551348

>>551341
we are all open to suggestions

>> No.551351

>>551324
>apparently MM8BDM is hated
Yeah, I don't get why.

>>551341
Anyway, it's not Samsara as such, it's Doom Kart with a bunch of 90's FPS characters and enemies.

>> No.551356

>>551348
>>551348
Vanilla CTF. MM8BDM Saxton Hale. Fucking, AoW2 or something.

>> No.551363

>>551347
What are you calling this grorious project?

Doom Headdesk Edition?

>> No.551364
File: 39 KB, 508x608, 1346180783768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551256
>>551330
>Hitler in typical Nazi Limousine
>BJ driving 1940's Ford
also
>Caleb on an Undead Horse

>> No.551374
File: 47 KB, 499x801, 13442489101.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551356
>CTF
>AOW2
>MM8BDM

And you say Samsara is overdone?
Are you fucking kidding me?

>> No.551375

>>551364
I was thinking that Hitler would be in a blue metal car themed on his suit.

>> No.551368

>>551356
>Fucking
I'm cool with that, as long as you wear the Duke mask.

>> No.551373

>>551356
Plutonia with REVENANTATION.WAD

>> No.551381

>>551374
hey now, nothing wrong with CTF

>> No.551384
File: 22 KB, 425x292, Final Idea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551375
Maybe the upper part of his suit, mounted on top of the Limo

>> No.551385

>>551324
>>551351

>I don't get why.

Back in the Skulltag days, There was only 2 kind of servers, Megaman 8Bit and servers with Brutal Doom included. There was no variety at all, BE didn't existed by that time, and it didn't helped in the long run, as you may have realized

Also, I vote for co-oping with the most gruesome WAD from the Cacowards from the past year: The Eye

>> No.551394

>>551385
im down with co-oping

>> No.551397

>>551363
Well, I've been calling it 'Projectile.pk3' since it started out as a project to give all the hitscan monsters booleet projectiles instead of hitscans... and then it turned into a project to tweak things wherever my whims take me. And to ask /vr/ what monsters they would tweak and how, and see if I can make their dreams into a reality.

Also, minor bugs fixed- chaingun now has a slot. Anyone know how to make the player start with a certain weapon? I can't get the new version of a pistol to be created.

>> No.551407

>>551381

Nothing wrong with CTF, no. But when people ask you for suggestions for a "rarity" to replace wads that are "overused" and you go to the mods that are plastered everywhere?
Uh.
Hey, how about some ACTUAL underused mods? Like, say, Diaz with Dissolution? LMS on STLMS? Or we could co-op Heretic, Hexen, or Strife.

>> No.551409

>>551374
In /vr/ it isn't. Hell almost no one plays that.

Unrelated but what's with the pic, is it taken from somewhere?

>> No.551416
File: 11 KB, 299x298, ss94.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551407
>coop Strife
You are a funny man! I like you, funny man.

>> No.551443
File: 205 KB, 473x757, YasunaYeah.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>548898
So Doom IV's in the works. What do you want to see done with it. I'll say:
>Go back to the roots. Before trying new stuff, bring what made the originals amazing, and refine it to Painkiller/Hard Reset levels.
>Level design should be similar to Doom 1 through Final Doom. Loads of secrets, environmental hazards, and little linearity.
>Develop a sense of humor. The original story was kind of ridiculous to begin with, so why not run with such sillinies the same way the Doom comic did.
>Huge mod support. At least on the level of classic Doom. Don't doubt your fans, id!

>> No.551448

>>551443
>So Doom IV's in the works

Sauce

>> No.551451

>>551443
>>551448
Seconding this.

>> No.551452

>>551448
carmacks twitter i believe

>> No.551460

>>551256
>>551364
Have fun making all those sprites.

>> No.551470

>>549903
>>549919
I've beaten Doom and Doom II on UV with the keyboard.

I was introduced to Doom by some kid in highschool, and he gave me Doom95 as a sourceport.

>> No.551465

>>551448
>>551451
You mean you guys didn't know? Where the hell have you been?

Doom 4's been in progress for a while. That it's had a troubled development was an entire news article.

>> No.551478

>>551460
Have fun ruining everyone's imagination.

>>restofthread
Anyone have the link to the youtube of the /pol/.wad playthrough?

>> No.551479

>>551470
when doom first came out i don't think i even had a mouse

i remember buying a joystick later for descent but doom 1 was all KB all the time

>> No.551494

>>551465

>That it's had a troubled development was an entire news article.

Well yeah, that's what I (I mean, we) know already; but I thought you were saying that they were ACTUALLY working on the damn thing

>>551478
>Anyone have the link to the youtube of the /pol/.wad playthrough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=614akDkzvtE&feature=youtu.be

>> No.551510

>>550348
>>550359
>>550297

Keyboard isn't so bad

>W is forward
>S is Back
>A and D strafe
>J is turn left
>L is turn right
>K or E is use
>Space is fire weapon
>SHIFT is run

Worked for
>>551470
me

>> No.551513

>>551494
>ACTUALLY working on the damn thing

But they are.

>> No.551523

>>551494
much appreciated - bookmarked this time

And MAN do I have high hopes for Doom 4, but I'm cringing in anticipation of massive disappointment

>> No.551530

>>551524
>"But it's MY turn to be the cowboy!"

>> No.551524

>>551494
What the fuck else would they be doing? Giving each other piggyback rides?

>> No.551537

>>551523
I want it to be good...
please...
the fact they haven't just rushed it out means they're going to put effort and make it good, right?

>> No.551540
File: 554 KB, 1280x1891, gb2fit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551524
I would totally give Carmack a piggyback ride.

no homo

>> No.551552

>>551385
So why don't we just do all of them?
Going from only doing Mega Man and Brutal Doom to only doing Samsara WDI and Shotgun Frenzy isn't a great thing

>> No.551560
File: 401 KB, 620x376, Screen shot 2012-03-27 at 1.56.05 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551523
>>551494
>the it's happening graph
Oh my god it's perfect.
Where do I get the wad?

>> No.551569

>>551560
Read the FAQ

>> No.551573

>>551537
Honestly, say what you want about Doom 3, but it didn't follow the trend of making everything brown, cawadooty, and realistic.
So, yeah, I've got some optimistic hopes for Doom 4.

>> No.551581

>>551573
Only because it came before that trend.

>> No.551591

I think for Doom 4 they truly do need to "return to their roots" and go for a heavy metal soundtrack, and prioritize action over atmosphere over story. Carmack and his crew will handle putting out an awesome engine, so I have no worries in the graphics department.

Imagine a violent (think Brutal Doom without overketchup'd faggotry, but some in your face, fast paced, not-very-nice shit), a heavy metal soundtrack (with some modern touches, because why not), and then, here's the kicker.

Competitive multiplayer, cooperative multiplayer, basic mainstays like CTF and "mutator"esque mods prepackaged in with the game... And then a co-operative multi with progression, like, say, Killing Floor-ish (although, hopefully, a little faster/harder).

Add some interesting weapons and monsters, balance it, and I think that has the potential to shake up the FPS genre again.

>>551573
One of very few things it got right, no brown and bloom bullshit. Also, moving away from hitscan weapons and non-destructable environments (think BF3) may be worthwhile now.

>> No.551596

>>551569
>http://pastebin.com/BJYFUx20
Not in there.

>> No.551607

>>551591
Also, make it super great for the modding community.
Like, as great as DooM and DooM II were.

>> No.551603

>>551596

There's a pastebin inside of that very pastebin

>> No.551608

>>551596
>http://pastebin.com/BJYFUx20
That's not the FAQ.
http://pastebin.com/AfQkPem3
this is.

>> No.551637

>>551607
not gonna happen, since doom is 2.5D and the mappers for doom cant into 3D environments, you might get some of the Source Engine modders though

>> No.551640
File: 77 KB, 425x347, large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551540
It's Samson!

>> No.551665

>>551637
Maybe Carmack could put together a basic level builder, similar to what Valve did with Portal 2

I doubt it though

>> No.551674

>>551552
Part of me says this is why we need more doomers.

Part of me plays with pubbies and is like "OH FUCK NOT MORE OF THESE PEOPLE".

So... Double edged sword, methinks.

>>551607
No matter how good id does, Doom 4 won't be as easy to mod as D1/2. Very simply, 2d/2.5d is easier to work with, especially with the extremely highly evolved tools we have and minimal overhead for the tech to run/fuck with the game and engine.

Doom 4 should be mod friendly, but it will not be as friendly as d1/2, ever. Not that I don't want it to be, just that it *can't* be.

>> No.551682

>>551674
Well, we could have some sort of rotation?
WDI one day, Shotgun Frenzy another?
The more popular ones can be on the weekends etc?

>> No.551691

>>551682
i like this idea

>> No.551696
File: 97 KB, 1440x900, Screenshot_Doom_20130426_232525.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551603
>>551608
Got it

>> No.551760
File: 74 KB, 640x958, I dont know what is wrong with them.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am getting some odd hall of mirror effects on my map. I checked my map analysis mode and it doesn't detect any errors, then I went and made sure textures were on these areas. In game it looks like this, especially one wall just being a hall of mirrors. I don't get it. If it helps I was playing it through ZDoom 2.6.1

>> No.551784

>>551760
Have you tried testing the map on GZDoom just in case?

>> No.551789

>>551784
I just did and the silver hallway is completely fine.

I didn't get to see the base of the green pillar yet but will check it up.

>> No.551795

>>551682
I just wish someone would start a server running something enjoyable, and that people would then join it. Everyone seems to just jump into the WDI server, and while it is fun playing with the gang it is getting a bit stale.

>> No.551804

>>551795
Someone make a The Sky May Be server.

>> No.551806
File: 400 KB, 488x519, 1366766845534.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551804

>> No.551807

>>551795
Which is why we all need a break from it.
It's been Samsara invasion in the afternoon, WDI in the evening.
I'm not saying either of those are bad, in fact, at times they're fucking incredible, but we all need something... new.

>> No.551808

>>551806
I really want to try it out on coop

>> No.551816

>>551807

How about some GVH?

>> No.551821

>>551816
>GvH

Go away.

>> No.551824

>>551816
Sure, it's got its time and place

>> No.551826 [DELETED] 

>>551821
>EWWW A SUGGESTION GTFO

fuck off.

>> No.551832

>>551826
Is not for suggesting a WAD, it's because of the WAD itself.

>> No.551842

>>551832
Is there really anything wrong with the mod itself? I understand the association with Pewdiepie and his fanbase, but if it's just being played among /vr/ folks it should be fine.

>> No.551840

>>551808
No you don't
You really really don't

Has anyone beaten that shit?

>> No.551849

>>551840

We've beaten it multiple times on the last coop server we hosted with it.

>> No.551854

>>551840
I did on Chocolate Doom

>> No.551856
File: 108 KB, 1440x900, Screenshot_Doom_20130426_235649.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.551852

>>551842
It has been an unbalaced piece of shit since the beginning, and i don't want to download over 200MB of that crappy mod and it's "expansions".

>> No.551864

>>551856
Do it faggot

>> No.551885

>co-op is untested

Well, there's only one way to solve that...

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17053

Gentleman, prepare your anuses...

>> No.551904
File: 130 KB, 800x600, Screenshot_Doom_20130426_215536.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Imps are now jerks. They have lower pain chance, but when they take damage, they spawn illusory copies of themselves.
Pic related. Only one of these imps are real. Also, they deflect missiles.

>> No.551925

Does Hexen Coop play well?

>> No.551939

>>551925
If you don't have a cunt who constantly runs in and out of the teleporters, yes.

>> No.551946

I like how whenever a newfag suggests a mod it
- is made by Cutman Mike
- is brootal duum!
- is a joke wad
- is a bad/infamous wad they're suggesting as a joke.

HR Survival would be fun.

>> No.551953

>>551939
I ask because having a mage/fighter/cleric combo would be fucking awesome.

>> No.551987

>>551946
>newfag
>wanting to play HR

>>>/b/
Hell Revealed is shit.

>> No.552010

>>551987
HR...I don't recall that wad.

>> No.552013

>>551946
What's your problem with Mike?

>> No.552020

>>552010
Hell Revealed, one of the earliest slaughter mapsets.

>> No.552058

Projectile.pk3 author here.
Momentary fuckup! I... accidentally gave imps a thousand health. I forgot to turn it back, at least, after testing them.

>> No.552060

>>552020
I don't think I've ever played it.

>> No.552076

>>552060
Well, if you thought Plutonia on UV was 2easy4u, you should give HR a spin. It's kinda like the grandaddy of all super difficult/slaughter type maps.

>> No.552109

>play samsara for the first time tonight
>choose douk
>fight shoulder to shoulder beside chex quest guy, parias, doomguy and blaszcowitz (sp)

never in my life will i ever play anything else

>> No.552104

>>552076
>Plutonia
>2EZ

>> No.552146
File: 8 KB, 234x250, b67.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552109

This was basically my first reaction to Samsara, too.
Shit is so goddamn cash.

>> No.552147

>>552076
I think both Plutonia and TNT are shitty.

>> No.552136

>>552109
Samsara is THE shit.

>> No.552171

>>552109

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0xh3SO9pvWR

>> No.552201

>>552171
Wow.
I mean you're wrong.
But Wow.

>> No.552196

>>552171
what

>> No.552197
File: 9 KB, 472x306, 1364613551092.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552171

John St. Jon? IS THAT YOU?

>> No.552203
File: 214 KB, 562x523, duke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552171

>> No.552213
File: 180 KB, 1280x800, eye[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Gentlemen, It's time.

The Eye with SharedKeys

Name : :: [BE] New York :: /vr/ plays the most gruesome one-level WAD ever
IP: 108.61.83.66:15083
Gamemode: Co-op
Pass is muhzdoom

In order to pay justice to this WAD, the following settings have been reinforced

>No jump
>No crouching
>No mouselook
>Ultra Violence

>> No.552214
File: 72 KB, 426x458, 1325837472450.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552171
HOLY SHIT

>> No.552226

>>552171
Hey Duke.

I haven't seen you in forever.

AHA

HAHAHAAH
HAHAHAABDHJSAGLSAFHSLFHGFKSHJDGASJKHFGASD. I made a funny. LAUGH YOU PIECE OF SHIT.

>> No.552228
File: 195 KB, 1000x548, 1237021135845.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552171

>> No.552225

>>552171

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>> No.552241

>>552171
outfuckingstanding my friend

>> No.552242
File: 38 KB, 640x480, mother-of-god.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552171

>> No.552254
File: 153 KB, 421x500, 1366808222245.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552171

oh god.
please don't kill us jon st. john
please

>> No.552258

>>552213

Pass has changed, it's videojuegos now

>> No.552272
File: 160 KB, 550x550, 1366921764225.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552171

I don't want to say that's Jon St. John. I really don't.
...But if not, it's a SPOT FUCKING ON impression.

>> No.552336

>>552171
we actually added that into Samsara 0.29 already

because we're just that fucking fuck

>> No.552358

>>552336
Have I just been ignoring that Ijon is in these threads? Or has he only just now revealed himself?

>> No.552367

>>552358
I only post like three times per doom thread

so both

>> No.552362

>>552358
He's been around for a while now.

>> No.552373

>>552367
Oh god oh god you only have one post left, I better ask questions quickly.

Why is Parias so fucking boss?

>> No.552384

So how the fuck am I supposed to create linedefs in Doombuilder?
Whenever I right click, it just drags the ones I've already made

>> No.552391

>>552384
Zoom in closer.
Right click once and move to the next point instead of dragging.
CTRL + D

>> No.552386

>>552384
Ctrl+D to enter draw mode, then you can add new linedefs.

>> No.552393

>>552386
Deselect.
Who the fuck
who
what
I don't even
the fuck are you
Why the fuck did they do it like that

>> No.552408

>>552373

Paris is a cleric that can shoot fucking BEAMS OF FIRE out of the same hands he uses to fire WALLS OF ICE out of, has a GLOWING AXE, throws infinite amounts of WARHAMMERS that are ON FIRE, and his ultimate pulls souls OUT OF HELL to KILL DEMONS.

Explain to me how he /couldn't/ be a master-level boss.

>> No.552418

>>552408
This is the very best answer I could have ever gotten.

My life is complete.

>> No.552425

>>552408

What god does Parias serve?
If Parias is a mere cleric, rather than someone of a higher rank

his religion must be one of pure metal

>> No.552430

>>552425
>what god does Parias serve

whichever afterlife Ronnie James Dio ended up in, his black throne is the only one Parias kneels at

>> No.552441

>>552393
D = Drawing

Makes sense to me.

>> No.552445

Hold the fucking phone

THE jon st. john? is here? sometimes? like now? am I being rused? I'm being rused.

>> No.552451

trying to get on one of the servers right now and it keeps saying "incorrect password"

i've tried vidyagaems
i've tried vrtroopers

what now

also, on a more on-topic note, whats /vr/'s general opinion on brutal doom? i've seen some say its amazing, some say its okay, and some go as far as to say its an insult to doom. honestly i think it's pretty neat, it's just that its a particle fest and it lags a bit even on a good computer

>> No.552464

>>552451
Try "vidya"

>> No.552467

>>552451
I don't mind Brutal, but I do feel that it's barely Doom

>> No.552473

>>552451
It's pretty neat. Me and a friend played through the entirety of doom ultimate with it, and she was awfully fond of the moaning and crawling incapacitated monsters. I liked the pistol's replacement, and the new graphics...

It wasn't doom, of course, but it was fun.

>> No.552471

>>552425
23:37 <%ijon> so basically
23:38 <%ijon> Parias is a missionary that spreads the influence of heavy metal through poisoning the shit out of everyone
23:39 <@TerminusEst13> And he's a /good guy/.
23:39 <@TerminusEst13> Can you get more metal than that?

>> No.552479

>Impse in charge of servers

>> No.552482
File: 85 KB, 500x500, 00602.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552471
>parias' new ultimate

>> No.552490

>>552451
BD's quite fun. Doesn't work with some wads by virtue of the gameplay changes, but otherwise it's a great change of pace gives the game an updated feel while still feeling very Doom.

>> No.552503
File: 73 KB, 600x600, cage_science_of_annihilation_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552482

Korax gets a new steed to match.

Hey, he's a Serpent Rider, he needs to ride something.

>> No.552514
File: 193 KB, 953x953, parias2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>any level when parias is done with it

>> No.552549
File: 67 KB, 484x480, cover-heavenly-carpediem.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>After a long day of killing shit for God, he goes back to his covenant to hang with the nuns

>> No.552568
File: 28 KB, 364x400, parias4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552549
>after a long day of killing shit for Ronnie James Dio, Parias goes back to his covenant to bang fifty nuns

ftfy

>> No.552574
File: 116 KB, 500x496, WIDOW - Life&#039;s Blood - Artwork.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552549
>>552568

Here, anons, I think this is the cover you're looking for.

>> No.552590

>>552574
>>552568
>>552549
>>552514
>>552482
>>552471
>>552408

can one religion possibly be this manly

>> No.552605
File: 31 KB, 580x350, theonetruegod.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552590

>> No.552597

>>552590
It's fucking Parias. It *became* that manly after he joined the religion, just from his proximity.

>> No.552614

>>552503

Epic Chaos Wyvern, right there.

http://realm667.com/index.php/repository/beastiary-mainmenu-136/990-chaos-wyvern?catid=49%3Aheretic--hexen-style

>> No.552653

Gentlemen, there's a murderer on the loose! and he's gonna rip and tear our fellow doomsman. COME HELP US STOP THE BASTARD @ /vr/tual bois solve a murder mystery. Remember only you can stop the massacre.

>> No.552671

>>552653
We seriously need to start with the whole 'playing different mods' thing

>> No.552672
File: 116 KB, 861x1200, Baratus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Meanwhile, with Baratus

>> No.552693

>>552614
>http://realm667.com/index.php/repository/beastiary-mainmenu-136/990-chaos-wyvern?catid=49%3Aheretic--hexen-style

>IT HURTS TO LIIIIIVE

>> No.552694

>>552672
Just a lowly wyvern?

>> No.552701
File: 52 KB, 400x495, 578720226.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Meanwhile with Corvus.

>> No.552706
File: 210 KB, 1366x768, Screenshot_Hexen_20130427_032408.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You know what must be done now, /vr/. Rev up those Cleric playthroughs.

>> No.552710

>>552671
what about the sur/vr/ival? i haven't seen anyone on that in a while

>> No.552714

>>552672
I have seen that image fifty times before and never recognized that as Baratus until now. Shiiiiiiiiit.

>> No.552720

Does anyone have a mirror to zdoom-dhtp-20121229.pk3?
I'm trying to use the download from http://dhtp.freelanzer.com/?page_id=17 but it keeps timing out, and JDownloader won't recognize the link.

>> No.552724

>>552710
We've been playing that alot

>> No.552725
File: 225 KB, 1366x768, Screenshot_Hexen_20130427_032851.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552706
>just another day in cronos.png

>> No.552726

>>552694

The Death Wyvern, looks like.

>> No.552749

>BLESS AND ABSOLVE
>BLESS AND ABSOLVE YOUR GODDAMNED SOUL
>I'M GONNA PURIFY YOU MOTHERFUCKERS SO HARD

Requesting moar Parias.

>> No.552780
File: 295 KB, 1366x768, LIFE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552725

>> No.552804

What's the difference between white and blue floating exclamation marks in Whodunit?

>> No.552813

>>552804
Blue ones lead to supply closets. White ones are just passages between areas.

>> No.552814

>>552724
guess i haven't been paying enough attention

so uh

anyone still wanna play it? the murder mystery thing is getting kind of boring

>> No.552847
File: 196 KB, 1366x768, Screenshot_Hexen_20130427_035139.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552725
BURN, GODLESS SCUM

BURN BY MY HANDS

AND THEN BY GOD'S AFTER I'M THROUGH WITH YOU

>> No.552868
File: 50 KB, 600x417, torsofar.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.552889

>>552868
Female boba fett?
Looking good, though

>> No.552903

>>552868
that's cool but like

what's that for

>> No.552909

>>552889
>>552903
That's the basis for a cyberrunner sprite for the cyberrunner wad currently being made.

>>552868
Lookin' good. I like it.

>> No.552931
File: 459 KB, 1440x900, Screenshot_Hexen_20130427_030023.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The ice pillars now shoot very low damage missiles. They can really add to your damage, though, totaling about 35 DPS with only 3 of them up (which is one cast.)

You can also see some icons for the remaining spells. They bleed out of the edges a bit but idgaf.

Any recommendations for fun spells?

>> No.552946

>>552931
A raise dead spell, perhaps? Turn an ettin corpse into a temporary ally?
A time slow / freeze spell?
A large number of spinny bladey things that bounce off of walls?

>> No.552956

>>552931
Chain lightening, and any one who dies from it explodes that causes splash damage to anyone nearby.

>> No.552960

Regarding Whodunit, why can't everyone just be in one room, so the murderer won't kill them one by one?

>> No.552965

>>552960

because jewgas.

>> No.552967

>>552960
Because then he'll kill them all at once with gas.

>> No.552978
File: 441 KB, 1366x768, Screenshot_Hexen_20130427_042417.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552847
attn ettins:

pls stop being so bad at everything

luv parias

>> No.552980

This'll be my final update on this pk3 for the night. Minor tweaks all abound, as usual!
Pinkies have been massively overhauled- now they're not as ridiculously durable, but not as slow. They now have a high chance of getting angry when pained and charging.
Also, imp illusions *always* pain, and they don't run away like babbies anymore. They also flicker when they pain, for a good visual indicator, and run up to melee attack you instead of slam fireballs down your gullet.

And finally, I leave you all with not one, but two questions.
First off, if you could tweak any monster from Doom or Doom 2, what would it be? And how would you tweak it?
And second of all, I've finished the non-hitscan weapons and monsters almost a week ago, so I need a new name for this thing. Any suggestions?

>> No.552991

>>552980
how about cacodemons shoot out cacobabies or some shit so they're like pain elementals

i've always wanted cacobabies

>> No.552996

>>552991
Cacobabies are ALREADY ADDED.

Three of em, when a cacodemon dies.

>> No.553000

>>552980
Downloading, I'll holler back with some feedback.

You've implemented at least 3 of my suggestions, so, better to play it first and see.

>> No.553001

>All dese mods

>> No.553013

>>552980
Load this over brutal doom, turn on Black Metal difficulty... hnnnnnnnng, holy shit

Crazy asshole imps with speed/brudoom leaps AND projections

>> No.553016

>>552980
Don't rename it, change the capitalization/spacing.

Project ILE (Is... life... easy? Fuck. Someone come up with a better one.)

>> No.553018

>>552996
sorry, i had no idea because i haven't seen a changelog

calm your tits

>> No.553026

Any /vr/os got Zandronum working under WINE? I'm running Linux and have been playing on ZDaemon but I really want to play with you guys.

I tried installing the Linux Zandronum, and Doom Seeker works but Zandronum itself never open. So I'll sit there and download the WADs, wait for it to open, and... nada.

>> No.553029

>>553018
Oh, right, changelog! I'm bad with those. Current list of features for Project ILE:

>All 'Zombie types' (Zombiemen, Shotgunguys, Chaingunners) now fire bullets instead of hitscan attacks.
>Zombiemen are tougher and fire three bullets in a sequence.
>Shotgunguys fire five bullets instead of three, and are significantly more dangerous up close. I really need to tone these guys down.
>Chaingunners fire more bullets, but they're significantly less accurate.
>Doomguy's Shotgun, Supershotgun, and Chaingun fire bullets as well.
>Lost Souls can revive corpses at the cost of their own existence.
>Mancubi are tougher, harder to pain, and no longer stop at three pairs of missiles.
>Revenants move faster, and rarely fire rockets instead of their standard attack.
>Demons are slower, harder to pain, have more health, but they will attack MUCH faster. Rare Charge attacks when pained
>Archvile now fires a long flamethrower of hellfire instead of its normal attack, and are easier to pain.
>Cacodemons release three baby cacodemons on death, which are faster, have less health, but do more damage.
>When a Cacodemon is raised by an Archvile or Lost Soul, their babies are raised as well.
>Imps are now jerks. They have lower pain chance, but when they take damage, they project illusory copies of themselves.

>> No.553046

>>553037
>I tried installing the Linux Zandronum, and Doom Seeker works but Zandronum itself never open. So I'll sit there and download the WADs, wait for it to open, and... nada.

>> No.553092
File: 2.93 MB, 320x240, HexenNecromancy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>552946
>A raise dead spell, perhaps? Turn an ettin corpse into a temporary ally?
Done, though it isn't a temporary ally, he stays until he dies.
I figured it was hard to get an idea of what's happening in a picture so I made a gif.
Also, this officially marks the point where there are more spells that are ideas from this thread than ones I've made.

There is one problem with this though, it doesn't work unless you define a Raise state and hexen has no Raise states, so I had to do that myself.

>> No.553123

>>553092
This is awesome and you are awesome.

Maybe a 'mark and recall' spell? You cast it, and it drops an invisible actor, and when you cast it again, you teleport back to that actor?

>> No.553142

>>553092
I'm with
>>553123
in that you're awesome/it's awesome.

But maybe usability on any corpse, animates a skeleton, that, say, acts/thinks/moves/shares HP/damage/etc with an Ettin? I know, it's a lot of work, but fuck that could be a massive game changer... Just food for thought.

>> No.553158

>>553142
If I could create sprites, believe me, I would do this. It's not that hard, in fact. It would be as simple as changing the Raise state to play the Skeleton's Raise state, and then at the end of it, jump to a custom death state with no sprite, and spawn a friendly skeleton enemy.

>> No.553160

>>553158
Meant to say "Skeleton's raise animation"

>> No.553162

>>553158
Oh yeah, I just meant that it involves a lot more animating and fucking around, while what you did is mostly scripting.

Not to take anything away from what you've already done, it's purty cool, and it's fucking awesome how fast you spat that out.

So, you just making a "Make Hexen's combat better/more interesting" mod?

>> No.553172

>>553162
Right now it just adds a whole bunch of spell scrolls you can find randomly replacing items. Though a general combat improvement mod isn't a bad idea, hexen's one of my favorite games but the combat does get dull.

>> No.553178

>>553172
The combat and the obtuse "find the switch, hurr" parts are agonizing.

BUT... But... GOD the potential! So many things just felt so right. I have a billion and a half ideas now for Hexen "improvements", but none of them are easy, really.

>> No.553221

The... the silence...

>> No.553318

>>550748
>>550774
>>550797
>>550936
Doom's action isn't set on Mars, but on Phobos and Deimos, it's moons.

>> No.553331

>>552171
People seriously hadn't heard this before?

>> No.553342

>>553092
Will there be a separate set of spells for each class? Like a fletchette, each scroll would act differently for each class? In example, ice-spiked fists for Baratus instead of icicle wall.

>> No.553495
File: 104 KB, 1280x800, Screenshot_Doom_20130422_134425.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>no posts in 2 hours

>> No.553519
File: 128 KB, 960x540, 1365136584338.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>553495

>> No.553716

I seem to have run into trouble with Timidity++. I downloaded timidity4zdoom and set it up. Everything seems to work just fine, except there is a gap between when the song should loop.

Here is my config:
gus_memsize=0
midi_dmxgus=true
gus_patchdir=
midi_timiditylike=false
midi_voices=32
midi_config=timidity.cfg
snd_midiprecache=false
opl_fullpan=true
opl_core=0
opl_numchips=2
timidity_frequency=22050
timidity_pipe=25
timidity_mastervolume=1
timidity_byteswap=false
timidity_8bit=false
timidity_stereo=true
timidity_reverb=0
timidity_chorus=0
timidity_extargs=
timidity_exe=timidity.exe
snd_mididevice=-2
spc_amp=1.875

>> No.553721

>>553716
Yeah, that just sort of happens with timidity. I use FluidSynth and it works great, though.

>> No.553751

>>553716
Speaking of MIDI's, what's the best MIDI player that makes the Doom midi's sound like they do in the Sourceports?

>> No.553757

>>553751
Funny enough, Timidity. Annoying as balls to set up, nice to listen to.

>> No.553765

>>553757
when i try to download Timidity, I just get a bunch of .c and .h files

>> No.553772

>>553765
That's the source code dumbass.

>> No.553787

>>553772
I know that, but where do I get the actual program?

>> No.553803
File: 15 KB, 177x271, wow.wad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>553787
Seriously?
First google result, followed a few links.
http://timidity.s11.xrea.com/index.en.html#down

>> No.553808

So how 'bout that cyberrunner?
Can I get a download?

>> No.553816

>>553808
http://static.best-ever.org/wads/cyberrunner-debug05.pk3

>> No.553881
File: 100 KB, 250x250, 1366427542151.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Cyberrunner + Doom2 4xBigger
this is what dreams are made of

>> No.553884

>>553881
It's horrible, sorry.

There will be CR coop maps someday though.

>> No.553892

anybody got a high quality cover of Doom 2 in a square aspect ratio?

>> No.553921
File: 109 KB, 576x507, 1349549911373.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What crazy inputs can doom be played on?

I'd love to see somebody finish a few doom levels on ultra violence using a

dance dance revolution dancepad

>> No.553928
File: 227 KB, 500x375, 1363949263783.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>553884
Well, i'm having fun.
But I can't wait for actual maps, none the less.

>> No.553930

>>553892
I have it and I've even tried to post it but 4chan just....stops.....when I try to upload big files, even anything over 2 meg including images I've seen others upload here in the past.

>> No.553935

>>553930
Upload it to imgur and post the link here.
>>553921
Fucking everything.

>> No.553951

>>553921
I played Doom 2 with a Saitek R440 Force Feedback Wheel. It's not that bad, except for the fact you need to keep the right pedal half way down so I won't constantly look up.

>> No.553963

>>553951
That's funny.

>> No.553994

Project ILE here.
If you could tweak any monster or weapon from Doom or Doom 2, what monster/weapon would it be, and why?

>> No.554010
File: 81 KB, 640x512, 1346046123836.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>553921
>mfw in 20 years we have direct neural links or something and I can play doom at the speed of thought

>> No.554018

>>554010
>You manage to UV-Tyson run every wad ever
Such is the power of the mind of a Doom fiend

>> No.554019
File: 6 KB, 131x179, Doom66601.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>553994
Tone down the super shotty a bit. A bit.

It's just so damn good in it's role that it almost makes the chaingun obsolete......that said, make the chaingun a bit more powerful as well.

Imagine doom 64's SSG and Chaingun as a frame of reference.

>> No.554027

>>554019
Should I reduce the amount of pellets it fires, make it much more wildly inaccurate, or just plain do less damage?

And I can do the chaingun. I already have an idea of what to do with it.

>> No.554029

>>553928
We tried coop on it. By map04 it was just the same boring slaughter map hordes over and over.

>> No.554031

>>554018
>UV-Tyson
>not NM-Tyson
We're RIPPING and TEARING here, right?

>> No.554035

>>554027
Eric successfully tested the ssg as two normal shotguns and it worked fairly well.

>> No.554042

>>554031
>not NM-Tyson with HardDoom.wad

>> No.554046
File: 48 KB, 639x479, Well here you go.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

MOTHERFUCKING DOOM SOUNDTRACK HERE:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1z1dgqif0t1z9y8
ALL IN CORRECT TRACK ORDER WITH HOW THEY APPEAR INGAME AND IN MP2 FORMAT ALL AT A GLORIOUS 64KBS

I'LL UPLOAD DOOM II WHEN IT'S DONE

>> No.554059

>>554027
Either less damage or a few less pellets.
Maybe so it's really like 2 shotgun blasts and not a rocket hit minus splash damage.

>> No.554073

>>553816
>links to a debug build instead of an alpha build
Seriously, anon?

>> No.554079

>>553935
Sorry for the wait, here's the direct link to that image.

>http://www.doomworld.com/pageofdoom/graphics/UltimateDoomPoster.jpg

Here's a few other images too.

>http://www.doomworld.com/pageofdoom/images.html

>> No.554103

>>554079
Well that's the Doom 1 cover, and it's not in square Aspect Ratio. Doesn't matter anyway, found a decent Doom II cover

>> No.554110
File: 121 KB, 1024x768, 1363714376699.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>554103
Sorry brostronaught, I tried.

Glad you found what you were looking for.

>> No.554115

>>554035
Shotgun, Supershotgun, and chaingun all modified!

The standard shotgun has a tighter spread, so it's better for medium-close range, while the supershottie fires less pellets with an interesting spread (in that the RNG can't make it cluster up) so it's locked in the close range position, and the chaingun is all around awesome. Fires faster, more ammo efficient, but is less accurate.

>> No.554180

>>554115
Minor but not insignificant changes!
>http://www.mediafire.com/?92ld4rxrtak6efi
New link, and all bullets now leave decals. Can't believe I forgot that, what with all the accuracy testing I did.

>> No.554195
File: 8 KB, 258x195, The Kool Krab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>554046
DOOM II MUSIC HERE:
http://www.mediafire.com/?oil221993efnf5h

I might do TNT because it has enough new songs to warrant a soundtrack
Plutonia however uses only Doom 2 songs so nope

>> No.554203

>>548935

hey just wanted to see if anyone had checked this out or given it a shot yet
a demo was released recently in the topic, and i think it's prety cool!

post in the topic and let me know your thoughts, please :)
the sooner we dethron samsara, the better!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z43f0ulwl1xxszf/ClassicRivalry.RAR

>> No.554213

>>554203
It's shit, I tried it.
It's just a worse and buggier version of samsara with more characters, and it doesn't even play well at all. The balance is balls to the walls.

>> No.554231
File: 5 KB, 64x64, miyu.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>554046
>>554195
You truly are the most amazing doctor ever.

THANKS !

>> No.554241

Bump limit soon, fellow doomer.

>> No.554243

>>554203
There are so many inaccuracies it isn't funny. I wonder if the mod maker even played the games he rips the sprites for.

>> No.554254

>>554241

Of course, but let's just wait until we hit page 1 guys, it won't be that hard to accomplish actually

>> No.554261
File: 61 KB, 625x999, 1364866996249.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.554264
File: 63 KB, 625x999, 1364867029332.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.554269
File: 60 KB, 625x999, 1364867062542.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.554280

>>554195
>>554046
Are these remixes of yours?

Not downloaded yet, about to leave for work but maybe another time.

>> No.554283

>>554280
They're by Sonic Clang (most of them anyway) if I'm not mistaken

>> No.554290

How can I use ACS to take script arguments and use them to specify TID in another part of the script/another script the initial script hands off to?

>> No.554303

We are now sinking to page 1. Please stand by while I make a new thread and wait for it to sink.

>> No.554306

>>554280
>>554283
Not remixes, jut the original MIDI's recorded from a Roland SCC1 according to Doomworld

>> No.554327

>>554303
And we're off.
>>554321
NEW DREAD

>> No.554650

>>554213

thanks for your opinion.
Can you give examples of it not playing well and the balnace?

>> No.555029

>>553092
You should make him drip blood too, so you can tell him apart from other monsters. Or give him a tint if that's possible... Maybe a sparkle effect at his feet or something. Just a suggestion

>> No.557397

>>552514
Oh fuck, some other Anon listens to Mutiilation

Enjoy this post you will never see