[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.85 MB, 1600x810, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5485565 No.5485565 [Reply] [Original]

Randomly came across this while looking for vidya online, what the hell is the Gamrars movie card and is it worth 25$?

From what I gathered, it's a way to play VCD's on your PS1, but I'm also getting a lot of mixed information about it, some people are saying it's super rare and only 1000 were made, while others are saying that it's very common. There were apparently 3 different models made, and the PSX-003 is the one that's the best and rarest. It allows you to play burned games on it apparently as well as having an inbuilt gameshark without having to mod your PS1 but is it worth it? I enjoy both emulating PS1 games and playing them on actual hardware, so I'm unsure if the information is true since I wouldn't want to buy something that plays VCD's and nothing else.

From listings online besides this one, I've seen that ones selling for parts are 20$, and working ones went for 50$, but I'm honestly not sure if it's even worth it.

Any advice /vr/? Literally never heard of this before today.

>> No.5485608

>>5485565
>From what I gathered, it's a way to play VCD's on your PS1
>I wouldn't want to buy something that plays VCD's and nothing else.
Why are you making this needlessly complicated? If you want to play burnt games and don't know anyone capable of installing a modchip, then just get a GameShark or clone and put UniROM on it. You'll also be able to use the cheats. The GameShark will be cheaper than the broken/parts only VCD player as well. Why are you making this more complicated than it needs to be?

>> No.5485610

>>5485565
>Is it worth 25$?
I mean that's not that much and if it ends up being rare you might be able to flip it for good bucks

>> No.5485709

>>5485565
If you can afford it, I recommend getting a PSIO. You still have to get a mod chip soldered in but it'll let you play games from an SD card which will be much more reliable than your PS1's disc drive.

>> No.5485885 [DELETED] 

There are many have shark clones you should be able to get for less than $25 that let you do a cold swap trick which is all this does. Goldfinger being the most common, mine is called a Sharpshooter. Your PS1 DOES have an expansion port right?

>> No.5486059

>>5485709
>PSIO
PSIO is a great proof of concept, but it is not the end all of ODDE for the Playstation. It requires more work than adding a mod chip, and costs quite a bit more for something that can and does have issues at times. I think its a neat thing, but I would never get one nor recommend someone else did.

Mod-chip + 50 pack of CD-r + Brand new Laser is cheaper than the PSIO, and there is little to no issue with compatability.

>muh burned games don't work.

Its because you have a bad source. I have been using cheap as fuck Staples brand 700mb cd-r for years and out of the last 100, I know of 2 failures. I burn a game, enjoy it for a bit, and eventually I toss the game out or turn it into a cup holder.

>> No.5486073

>>5486059
>Brand new Laser
Yeah, probably not.

>> No.5486149

>>5486073
>Yeah, probably not.
http://store.richspsxparts.com/newkspllaas.html

Replacement laser is $20 shipped. A 50 pack of Staples CD-R is $15. Any of the various mod chips are $8-$20. You could also spend $25ish to get a gameshark and flash it to uniROM yourself, but modchips are less headaches.

Worst case scenario on costs is half of what a PSIO costs. A replacement laser will last you a decade or more depending on how you use it. I have a small pile of them in my man cave just in case any of my 4 PS units die.

>> No.5486158

>>5486059
>ODDE
Stupid question, what's this stand for?

>> No.5486160

>>5486158
>Stupid question
Not at all

ODDE = Optical Disc Drive Emulator.

>> No.5486250

I just found out the Sega Saturn has one of these, and it even enhances FMV of some games.

>> No.5486261

>>5486149
This is a dumb question but how does unirom handle multi disc games? If a game asks for the next disc can I just pop in a burned copy?

>> No.5486291

>>5486261
>If a game asks for the next disc can I just pop in a burned copy?
I had no issue with either FFVII or Chrono Cross. The big issue with uniROM is that it is detected as a cheat, and because of this a few games will not run. I know that Legends of Dragoon is one, and Dino Crisis for sure. I know there are a few others. This is the main benefit of the mod chips, as some of them are not detected, and these games will run without issue.

>> No.5486293

>>5485565
It's feature is playing VCD's, which is useless at best these days. Unless you live in a 3rd world country that still uses them because everything there is over 25 years old. I've seen them used as gamesharks, they are not that great and not really reliable. Get something better.

>> No.5486302

>>5485565
It's very common. At least it was. It's probably pretty rare now due to most of them being thrown away because they're basically useless shit. I guess if you can't get a console with a mod chip for $25 or less you might be retarded enough to have a use for it.

>>5486158
It's what one type of tard calls an ODE

>> No.5486307

>>5485565
It is rare, buy it and flip it, then buy an action replay, you can play burned cdrs with those.

>> No.5486331

Unirom is great for basic games but later games all check for fuckery, and then you will need a modchip with stealth or a psio anyways.

>> No.5487401

>>5486149
>Any of the various mod chips are $8-$20
what a ripoff

>> No.5487462

>>5487401
You can buy a used ROM flasher for 30 and the chips for a quarter a piece IIRC.

>> No.5487490

>>5486331
>>5486291
boot region changer first. it disables copy protection. or just apply a patch to remove it before burning the iso.
works with gameshark lite too, although I don't think it automatically disables copy protection.

>>5486059
>>5486149
>no brand cdr
>chink laser
haha, oh wow
that's a great way to ensure your shit is gonna skip like crazy
never have I ever read so much bad advice in one place
if that works for you it's only because you lucked out and your drive likes the dye in staples cdrs. don't assume it's gonna work for everyone else because it won't.
and chink lasers will last you a lot less than a decade. a few months at best. if they're not doa, of course.

>> No.5487872
File: 2.81 MB, 5312x2988, psx laser sled change.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5487490
>apply a patch to remove it before burning the iso.
I have seen that there are patches, but overall I don't care enough to apply them. Legends of Dragoon is the only game that has given me trouble that I would want to play, and I have real copy of it.

>>5487490
>that's a great way to ensure your shit is gonna skip like crazy
I have a scph 1001 with a replacement laser from 3 years ago, and have been using Staples brand CD-r that I burn at max speed. I have no issues whatsoever. The Staples brand CD-r work in the 3 of my systems that I have tested, and 1 additional system that I gave to my brother. This is a pair of scph 1001 (pu-7 & pu-8 board) a 5501 and a 7501. If you are having issues with a burn on 700mb staples brand CD-r it is because you are using bad source material or your laser is shit.

>> No.5487891

>>5487872
>I have been using Staples brand CD-r that I burn at max speed.
>I have no issues whatsoever.
that's because
>you lucked out and your drive likes the dye in staples cdrs.
>don't assume it's gonna work for everyone else because it won't.

>If you are having issues with a burn on 700mb staples brand CD-r it is because you are using bad source material
guess I should let redump know their hashes are all bad
>or your laser is shit.
so you're telling me your chink shit is better than a virtually new BAM?

>> No.5487980

>>5487891
What do you suggest fatso?

>> No.5487984

>>5487980
He's telling you to buy a replacement laser. They're cheap and you get the whole assembly so they're easy to replace too

>> No.5488007
File: 2.16 MB, 2555x1875, Staples brand CD-r Works just fine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5487891
>you lucked out and your drive likes the dye in staples cdrs.
In 4 systems and a total of 5 CD laser units spanning a 3+ year production? I think not. If you want to pay $2-5 for a blank CD-r be my guest. I would certainly give the cheap-o discs a try first. I also found that I have some memorex discs as well. Also cheap-o generic as fuck.

>>5487891
>guess I should let redump know their hashes are all bad
Almost all of my source material is ISO files produced by myself from valid game discs, so I don't know what the fuck a redump is. Perhaps you have a shitty laser that is on its way out in your unit, or your burner is shit? I don't know. There are a lot of variables involved, and it could be anything from a software to a hardware issue. It could even be a bad copy. I have burned games from my ISO files on a number of different burners, none of which were anything but random take-outs from dead/dying machines. I don't need to take a dump to know that my ISO files are confirmed good, and If I have any question, I can pull the box out of the attic and make another ISO from the source. I did however reach out the the internet for a few random Jap region games....FF Tactics was one. I can't read moon-text at all, but the copies I made were all successful. There is a meme out there about low speed burns and specific discs only working. I had 2 failures in the last 40 burns.

>>5487891
>so you're telling me your chink shit is better than a virtually new BAM?
I have had no issue with my chink-shit Drive in 3 years. For what it costs, I bought 3 of them, figuring that it would have died by now. Nearly every day since I changed my 1001 out since November 2015 I have used it, without issue and without skipping. I have played and beaten games including FF VII, FF Tactics, SoTN, Chrono Cross and Parappa as well as a few other games.

So my question to you is why have you not specifically tried to use Staples brand CD-r?

>> No.5488119

>>5487462
>you can buy a brand new "ROM flasher" for $1
FTFY

>> No.5488184

>>5488007
>In 4 systems and a total of 5 CD laser units spanning a 3+ year production?
you mean 5 ps1 laser or 5 burners? because the latter is what really matters so long your laser is in decent shape.
>I think not. If you want to pay $2-5 for a blank CD-r be my guest. I would certainly give the cheap-o discs a try first.
don't have staples locally but I tried most dyes known to man on different drives, plextors, pioneers, optiarcs, and relatively new (and genuine) ADM/BAM.
>so I don't know what the fuck a redump is.
holy shit you really are hopeless aren't you
let me give you a hint: my dump is better than yours, at the very least equal
>Perhaps you have a shitty laser that is on its way out in your unit,
like I said, relatively new and genuine ADM and BAM tested on a 7501
if a 7501 won't take a laser, then nothing will
>or your burner is shit?
it's not a SCSI plextor I'll give you that

it's hard to believe that your unbranded discs burned on what I'm guessing is a generic drive "work fine" on a chink laser- especially on a 1001.
that's because the laser tuning on those models is 100% manual, they'll literally refuse to work with *most* lasers.
all of that on top of you clearly not knowing what the fuck is that you're doing. can you even tweak a pot?

>> No.5488224

>>5488184
Not the anon you are talking to, but I use cheap generic CDs with redump bin(s)+cue, using a "LWP" cd/dvd burner built-in to my laptop. Both PS1 and Dreamcast accept my burns unless I'm using a bad dump. If you are using redump, then check the discs against the bin(s)+cue and see if they even make it onto the disc properly. If the discs are good, then your laser HAS to be bad.
>new and genuine PS1 lasers
You mean to tell me Sony is still making them despite the PS1 being out of production since the mid 00's? Protip, you got the same chinese made lasers as everyone else, they just shoved it in a nice box.

>> No.5488260

>>5488224
I said "relatively". they're transplants from mint machines, essentially.
it's odd because I've read reports just like yours, yet I can't get shit not to skip unless I'm using the best of the best.

there seems to be some fuckery going around and I honestly can't put my finger on it.
best guess would be specific dyes get shipped to specific countries.

>> No.5488336
File: 1.11 MB, 1920x2560, psxs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5488184
>you mean 5 ps1 laser
I mean that I have used Staples brand CD-r on a total of 4 PSX systems without issue. One of my SCPH 1001s I replaced the laser, and it too read staples brand CD-r. The one I replaced was a scph 1001 I bought new. I still read discs, but needed a refresh.

>>5488184
>don't have staples locally
They ship.

>>5488184
>holy shit you really are hopeless aren't you
Not at all. I don't know what a redump is, and I can't be bothered to google it. Continue to explain shit in the childish way you have, and I may understand. Fill me in. What the fuck is a redump?

>>5488184
>my dump is better than yours, at the very least equal
You want to have a dick waving competition over who has a better quality burn of a cd rom game? Were you not just insinuating that I am the one who is hopeless? It doesn't get any better than me creating an ISO myself and enjoying a burn from it. There are other high quality methods to get the digits and copy them to a cd-r.

>>5488184
>like I said, relatively new and genuine ADM and BAM tested on a 7501

What is the resistance value you are using for your pot adjustment for the laser intensity.

>>5488184
>it's not a SCSI plextor I'll give you that
If you paid money for your burner in the last 10 years, it is already better than this piece of shit I have.

>>5488184
>can you even tweak a pot?
100% of my playstation models can read burned discs. Read between the lines my friend.

>>5488260
>transplants from mint machines
>best guess would be specific dyes get shipped to specific countries.
It really sounds like your lasers need adjusted, or are more worn out than what you think. My 7501 is the next model to get replaced. It is damn near new looking, and even still has the box with all the foam inserts, the foam cover, the bags full of the fun brochures and warranty info. My #2 1001 model looks beat to hell, and is the my best model, and still on the original factor laser. Never had an issue with it.

>> No.5488672

>>5488007
>Look at muh game collection dewdz

>> No.5488825

>>5488672
>I can't read, so I try to follow the pictures
I won't even bother explaining this thread to you.

>> No.5489062

>>5488224
Pretty much the same for me. Always used whatever cheap CDs that I had. Rarely any problems, probably bad dump or laser if there was anything. Remember game or two working on one ps1 but not on the other one. who knows

>> No.5489283

>>5487462
in that case I'd rather get an arduino and use psnee.

>> No.5489535

>>5489283
Why not just use a memeberry or stick an old PC in there?

>> No.5489546

>>5485565
It was designed to play VCD's but it can also bypass the playstation disc security check without needing a mod chip by using vcd mode, putting in a ps1 game and switching to a backup then switching the switch to game mode.

Its handy if you don't want to a modchip a ps1 and still play games not from your region.

Had one when I got my ps1 and it didn't often see much use outside of the built in action replay included.

>> No.5489578

>>5489535
Because you're a fucking retard.

>> No.5490161

>>5489578
>can't handle an MCU without a meme board
>others are the retard
top kek kid

>> No.5490709

>>5490161
No. It's essentially just a normal modchip programmed for the Arduino. There isn't much difference from a pico chip modchip aside from size and the firmware being open source.
Again, you're a retard.

>> No.5490747

>>5490709
>can't handle reading comprehension
>clueless like all of his kind
kids. lol

>> No.5490794

Just buy a factory sealed PS1 and all the games. There aren't that many PS1 games. What are you, poor?

>> No.5490889

>>5490747
Nope. You're just a retard.
Go jump off a bridge.

>> No.5490993
File: 35 KB, 609x406, little baby butthurt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5490889
>Fails. BTFO.
>Cries like a little bitch

>> No.5491010

>>5490993
>is a retard
>ad hominem
what an idiot

>> No.5491096

>>5489535
Just because it's cheaper.
What am I going to do with that pic-burner after burning that one modchip?
of course one could buy a mm3/onechip from some shop, but why use a modchip-design made 20 years ago when I can use psnee, which works just a tad better than them?

>> No.5491108

>>5491010
>i failed at everything
>muh ad memeinem
top kek kid

>>5491096
Welcome to 4han 10's huefag. How exactly does it work "just a tad better"? So sad the underage.

>> No.5491204

>>5491108
>How exactly does it work "just a tad better"
stealth for pu7/scph-100x, for example.

>> No.5491223

>>5488336
>One of my SCPH 1001s I replaced the laser, and it too read staples brand CD-r.
do you have an oscilloscope? what about proprietary Sony software?
>They ship.
they also use black magic for the dye it seems.
>It doesn't get any better than me creating an ISO myself and enjoying a burn from it.
it does.
>What is the resistance value you are using for your pot adjustment for the laser intensity.
reading your posts I'd say you're tweaking them way too high to counteract the fact you're doing everything else wrong, that's not healthy for the laser.
>If you paid money for your burner in the last 10 years, it is already better than this piece of shit I have.
some burners from 2009 are infinitely better than any generic burner you can get nowadays.
>My #2 1001 model looks beat to hell, and is the my best model, and still on the original factor laser. Never had an issue with it.
you're making some pretty bold statements that go against everything we've learned throughout the years, but ok
how's life in bizarro world?

>> No.5491368

>>5491223
>do you have an oscilloscope?
I don't need an oscilloscope to prove that it reads Staples brand CD-r.

>>5491223
>I'd say you're tweaking them way too high
I actually have not tweaked any of my trim pots. 100% of my units are running at whatever they were set at factory.

>>5491223
>some burners from 2009 are infinitely better than any generic burner you can get nowadays.
It is possible that my no name generic takeoff from a dead PC is good, but as light as it is, I doubt it is worth a damn. I haved used anything from CD burners to basic dvd burners and even one of the light scribe units to burn my games. I Have never had any issues.

>>5491223
>how's life in bizarro world?
It is amazing. I have 2x scph-1001. One of my units is a pu7 board, and that is the one I replaced the laser in. I don't use it much any more because of the graphical banding issues. My other scph-1001 is a pu-8 and does not have the graphical banding. It is still on its original laser. It has been continually plugged in most of the last 20 years, and somehow the laser still works. I have a replacement ready to go for whenever it dies, but to date it has given me no issues at all whatsoever. No skipping or music issues. I understand that this is not the norm.

How is life in retard land where you judge your laser unit by what flavor it is? Is it peppermint or spearmint?

So again, I am going to ask: Did you mess with your laser pots and what values did you use? This time try not to quote everything I said while breezing over the one simple question I asked of you.

>> No.5491401

>>5491368
>I don't need an oscilloscope to prove that it reads Staples brand CD-r.
you need one to properly tweak lasers, especially in a 1001.
>I actually have not tweaked any of my trim pots. 100% of my units are running at whatever they were set at factory.
all the more reason why I think you're just full of shit.
>It is possible that my no name generic takeoff from a dead PC is good, but as light as it is, I doubt it is worth a damn.
there's absolutely no correlation between the two at all.
>I understand that this is not the norm.
no, it's pretty much impossible.
>How is life in retard land where you judge your laser unit by what flavor it is?
you do understand a BAM > AEM >>> ADM/ACM, right? I know you're braindead and don't even know what redump is, but that's a fact.
>So again, I am going to ask: Did you mess with your laser pots and what values did you use?
you're so fucking lost you don't even realize that question has no relevance at all. everything you're doing is wrong. it might work for you, even though I doubt it, but trust me, it ain't gonna work for 99% of everyone else.
I haven't adjusted a pot in years because mine is working fine. but if memory serves 1.8 or something is a good value

not that it matters because you need an oscilloscope to tune it properly.

>> No.5491418

>>5491401
>I haven't adjusted a pot in years because mine is working fine.
The reason I asked was because I believe it was you who was complaining about your mint flavored laser not reading certain discs well. Thanks for answering my question. It is not hard to figure out why you are having issues.

>> No.5491519
File: 992 KB, 250x250, 1542755538798.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5491418
>says the guy who thinks he can properly tweak a laser without an oscilloscope

>> No.5491528 [DELETED] 

>>5491519
>says the guy who thinks he can properly tweak a laser without an oscilloscope
Quote me where I insinuated that.

>> No.5491536
File: 1.97 MB, 245x246, sensible chuckle no more.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5491519
>t: tweaked his laser pot and blames the dye in the CD.

>> No.5491571

>>5491536
do some research, holy shit
everything you're saying is wrong
you need an oscilloscope to tweak a ps1 laser
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=715
and dye matters more than your stupidity is willing to admit
https://assemblergames.com/threads/problem-with-burned-cd-games.49334/page-2#post-738150

>> No.5491624
File: 33 KB, 480x360, retarded.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5491571
>everything you're saying is wrong
>you need an oscilloscope to tweak a ps1 laser
I never disputed that once. In fact, I specifically stated that I have never done anything with a single one of my units. Re-read my posts if you have to. Seriously. Go back and read. At no point did I dispute this fact, or indicate that I fucked with them. Do I understand the general concept on how to do it? Yes. Do I know better? Yes. Is my brother an electrical engineer with a scope and basement work area full of all sorts of shit that I know is out of my realm of care. Yes.

When I have an electronics question, I can get a good answer from him. He has more qualifications than some random retard on a Senegalese gourd cooking photo board.

>>5491571
>and dye matters more than your stupidity is willing to admit
I am not saying it doesn't. I am saying that I somehow obtained 4 playstation units, 3 of which were used when obtained and all 4 of them play burned games on shit CD-r. I don't think it is as rare as you make it out to be.

Years ago retards like you spouted off about how you needed to burn at 1x speed in order for it to work. Just because some dipshit on the internet repeats it does not make it true. Again, I have 4 units spanning the production of Playstation that have no issue reading burned discs with nothing more than a uniROM flashed gameshark. Keep twisting that pot and eventually you will get it right. You don't need a scope to know that there is no reason to tweak something that is working as desired.

You can call it bullshit & be mad all you want, but it doesn't negate the fact. Also, sorry I don't know what a redump is. My burned games play just fine on $0.35 cd-r. I usually turn them into cupholders when I am done beating the game. I have been doing it this way for the last few years. Prior to that I just used the game discs. I generally don't fuck with software I don't own.

>> No.5491651

>>5491624
>Do I understand the general concept on how to do it?
no, otherwise you'd know that, without tweaking the pot AND an oscilloscope, the odds of throwing a chink laser on a 1001 and it working are next to none.
>When I have an electronics question, I can get a good answer from him. He has more qualifications than some random retard on a Senegalese gourd cooking photo board.
some of those people have been working with lasers for the past 30 years and know Sony hard and software intimately, but I'm sure your brother knows better.
>I am saying that I somehow obtained 4 playstation units and all 4 of them play burned games on shit CD-r.
I don't think it is as rare as you make it out to be.
and I'm calling bullshit because it is that rare. at the very least stop spreading bad advice around.
>Years ago retards like you spouted off about how you needed to burn at 1x speed in order for it to work.
and they were clearly wrong. I could explain why, but you can find that information on assemblergames. not that I believe you can burn cdrs properly to save your life.
regardless, point is, they were so full of themselves they couldn't be bothered to do a quick google search and learn more.
>Keep twisting that pot and eventually you will get it right.
if you don't pop it first because clearly you know fuckall about what you're doing

>> No.5491716

>>5491651
>the odds of throwing a chink laser on a 1001 and it working are next to none.
Should I play the lottery?

>>5491651
>but I'm sure your brother knows better.
Yea. He said that if it reads discs just fine that there is no need to fuck with it.

>>5491651
>at the very least stop spreading bad advice around.
What advice am I spreading. Don't tweak your laser if you don't have to? Don't blame your cds for your shitty worn out laser? Don't buy expensive discs if your system plays them?

>>5491651
>clearly you know fuckall
I know that my playstations work as intended. I also know that you are having all sorts of problems.

I also know that this is the last I will discuss this with you, and I will even let you get the last word in because I think that is all you really want. You are doing the typical yiddish pilpul. You are the one who tweaked your laser pots, and now you are complaining that your system doesn't read discs. You only have yourself to blame for that. You can believe whatever you want, but feelings are not facts. Your chocolate mint laser may not be as mint as you think it is, and you may not have helped it by fucking with something you pretend to understand.

If you'll excuse me, I am going back to enjoying my playstations that give me no issues whatsoever. You can keep on pretending and pointing fingers and being mad that I shared my experience.

>> No.5491738

>>5491716
>Don't buy expensive discs if your system plays them?
Sorry for this typo. Let me fix it a bit
"Don't buy expensive discs if your system is properly tuned and plays cheapo ones."

Sorry for the confusion. I know with the level of pilpul we are on that this would be a sticking point.

>> No.5492020

>>5491108
>be a gay boomer
>aka you
owned kid

>> No.5492042

>>5486073
I have an aliexpress replacement unit in one of my ps1s, can confirm from personal experience they work fine.

At first on that one I adjusted the laser pot closer to the disc and that worked for a while but ultimately was a dying unit and did just that in the end. Honestly the aliexpress one is fine. But I have heard mixed things about them, so your mileage may vary.

>> No.5492284

>>5491204
That was done ages ago for many platforms and the whole thing is literally a few dozen lines if code if you want to do it on something else. I'm a big fan of arduinos when they're the right tool for the right job. But a modchip just aint it.

>>5492020
>b-b-but your gay
Slick burn kid. Don't you know that being gay is super popular with your demographic? What a fucking goof.

>> No.5493196

>>5492284
>be you
>aka a piece of trash

>> No.5493221

>>5491716
>Should I play the lottery?
If what you say is true, then yes.

>Yea. He said that if it reads discs just fine that there is no need to fuck with it.
Not necessarily true. For example, you might've set the pot too high, and while it'll read discs fine, it'll kill the laser faster. In a perfect world, you *would* use an oscilloscope, otherwise you're bottlenecking it.

>What advice am I spreading. Don't tweak your laser if you don't have to? Don't blame your cds for your shitty worn out laser? Don't buy expensive discs if your system plays them?
Those are great examples, actually. I don't know if you're bullshitting or not, but I can assure you that's uncommon. and it's gonna do more harm than good for most people.

>Your chocolate mint laser
you do understand mint means new, right?

>> No.5494440

>>5493196
>be you
>BTFO

>> No.5494553

>>5494440
>be me
>epic
>be you
>not epic

>> No.5494609

>>5494553
>epic fail

>> No.5494830

>using "be me" with greentext
jesus

anyway, the vcd add-ons are not in any way rare at all. you can find them all over the place throughout asia for a few bucks. interestingly, some of them require a wire to be soldered to the mainboard to work, while others work without a mod, but require a spring to be installed into the CD latch assembly to trick the console into thinking the lid is closed when you swap discs.

more interestingly: sony released a ps1 in asia with a built-in MPEG1 decoder to allow native VCD playback. it's fairly uncommon to find them in the wild, as they were expensive and most people in asia bought the much cheaper japanese units fitted with mod chips and the expansion port player instead

>> No.5497029

>>5494830
I have Asia PS1 and Saturn VCD models. At least the PS1 addon things usually have a game shark or something. The VCD PS1 is literally worthless, aside from being white and L@@KR@RE so worth a lot to autists.

>> No.5497342

>>5497029
>The VCD PS1 is literally worthless
Well you could argue it combines the built-in RCA ports of the 100x series with the rev.c hardware (24-bit texture rendering and more reliable laser placement) of later models.

>> No.5497361

>>5497342
I literally couldn't bring myself to argue that. I'll stick with the L@@KR@RE i know what i have argument