[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 193 KB, 640x836, 593714_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5485065 No.5485065 [Reply] [Original]

What's the best way to play the RR series?

>> No.5485082

>>5485065
on a computer. The gog release is good and has the cusspack.

The original game is pretty eh, the game play is a little weak but there are some interesting levels. the fist expansion pack is more of the same. The pseudo-sequel is better.

>> No.5485083

There's a port of it using EDuke32 called RedNukem that's apparently pretty good. Made by the same guy that did the recent NBlood port.

>> No.5485106
File: 40 KB, 1024x704, 1530672179137m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5485065
Shirtless, with a can of dip, some moon pies, and 2 litre of mountain dew. Hot southern night, window open.

>> No.5485224

>>5485065
With a walkthrough. The game would be fun if it wasn't for the atrocious level design. From the playability perspective. The themes, visuals and audio of everything is fantastic but every level is annoying and confusing to play.

>> No.5485250

>>5485065
I personally just play the GOG versions. All I did was edit the configuration file to make it run full-screen with black bars on the sides. There's a source port, but as far as I can tell it crops the field of view (slightly) to make it run widescreen, which I absolutely cannot stand.

>> No.5485269

I'M GONNA GETCHA BOY

>> No.5485290
File: 3 KB, 102x202, RR-old-coot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

HEHhehee hehe HEehehhehhee

>> No.5485449

>>5485065
Based Redneck Rampage Japanese version box poster.

>> No.5485528

>>5485449
Based Based Redneck Rampage Japanese version box poster poster, what took you so long? I almost thought I was going to have to post that myself!

>> No.5485538

>>5485250
rednukem does not do that no; it's true widescreen

>> No.5485817

any mods yet?

>> No.5486636

>>5485290
Im gonna fuck ya!

>> No.5486659

>>5485224
i beat the first one as a kid, get a fucking grip. But yea i remember getting lost a lot of times.

>> No.5486681

>>5486659
I beat it too, doesn't mean I had fun doing so. Don't know how the fuck they fucked up something as simple as color-coded keys, it's how every FPS before them did it (and for a reason).

>> No.5486712

Just a heads up, RedNukem has been renamed to NRedneck for consistency reasons (NBlood etc).

You can grab it here:
http://nukeykt.retrohost.net/

Otherwise, yeah I'd also suggest the GOG collection, the Steam versions are shit as you have to buy each expansion pack separately and they're all missing their soundtracks.

>> No.5486718

>>5486712
>http://nukeykt.retrohost.net/

brainlet here, what do i do i need to do. get rednukem 1.0?

>> No.5486724

>>5486718
Just choose "latest binary", it will take you to the GitHub page, where you download the zip file. Then you extract its contents into your RR folder and run the exe.

>> No.5486727

>>5486712
it is compatible with cusspack?

>> No.5486728

>>5486724
thx, i think i only have vanilla. I heard there are 2 expansions and a sequel, should i avoid or play all?

>> No.5486730

>>5486727
Sure.

>>5486728
Play vanilla first.

>> No.5486734

>>5486728
Rides Again > Route 66 > Rampage
That being said, play Rampage first still.

>> No.5486904

alright, for some reason rednukem only shows rides again. How do I play vanilla?

>> No.5486949

>>5486904
Okay, I found out, just had to rename a file. But Now i cannot save the game, for whatever reason.

>> No.5486954

>>5486904
RA and RR are seperate games; you need to drop nredneck in each directory i think

also you can't save on psychobilly difficulty

>> No.5486959

>>5486954
yes but game is not saving on regular difficulties as well.

>> No.5486964

>>5486659
I beat it too and I still have no clue how I finished the waste water processing plant. You know, that level where you first spend an hour trying to find a key until you randomly walk over it on the lawn in the backyard and immediately after that there just is no way forward. The very first level of the game has a wall you have to blow up and the mark that indicates that is so tiny and imperceptible that I'm convinced everyone just found it by accident due to playing the demo of the game over and over. The third level has a dog house with the only peculiar thing being that it has a metal floor. There isn't even a secret button, you just walk in and press the use key at the air and the dog house turns into an elevator that takes you to a secret area that contains nothing but the key that is necessary to proceed in the level. That is horrible level design. Why even have a secret counter in the end of the level if your primary level structure is based on finding hidden areas?

>> No.5488016

I'm having a better expericience with redneckgdx, rednukem won't allow me to save the game and won't load route 66 properly. In other words gdx is more brainlet friendly

>> No.5488019

>>5485106
I've been here before, and I don't miss it.

>> No.5489820

So... are you supposed to finish the hardest difficulty in one sitting? I thought it would save at the start of each level but nope

>> No.5490606

>>5489820
You can use cheats:
- start game on normal skill
- type code to change level
- type code to change skill

If you use rednukem/nredneck, you can simply do:
- launch game on Psychobilly
- type in the console: map E#L#.map (except being the boss map of the first game which is called differently)

One thing to remember if you use cheats is that skills are +1 in RA; so Psychobilly is skill 5 in the original but 6 in RA

also in DOS there is a glitch that might make enemy go full retard if you use both these cheats in combinations, but it's fixed in rednukem

>> No.5490763

Some time ago, I tried to pin down original Redneck Rampage's levels onto their respective level-designers (Alex Mayberry, Sverre Kvernmo, Mal Blackwell), going by the Doom levels they have previously made. Out of the three, I was primarily interested in Mal Blackwell's levels due to Eden.wad and Redrum.wad he created for Doom.

Firing up each level of the game from pistolstart, and giving each level a very short spin, just the beginning, I divided the levels in three categories:

presumably Alex Mayberry: E1L1 (Taylor Town), E1L5 (DairyAir Farms), E2L1 (Downtown Hickston), E2L5 (Grimley's Mortuary) and final level (Close Encounters)
presumably Sverre Kvernmo: E1L2 (Lumberland), E1L4 (Drive-In), E2L2 (Nut House), E2L4 (The Ruins), E2L7 (Beaudry Mansion)
presumably Mal Blackwell: E1L3 (Junkyard), E1L6 (Sewers), E1L7 (Smeltin' Plant), E2L3 (J.Cluck's!) and E2L6 (Uranium Mines)

From that point onward I focused entirely on presumably Mal Blackwell's levels and from that point on, played/pistolstarted only those. Of the five levels listed, the level most immediately akin to redrum.wad to me was E1L3. The level I had the most doubt about during my subdivision was actually E2L3 (it seems unnecessary spacious and it played out fairly straighforward). My main conclusion, however, were that levels E1L7, E1L6 and E2L6, when pistolstarted in this particular order, seemed to form a sequence, the earlier levels in which taught you stuff, you were seemingly supposed to already know how to do in later levels, and moreover, seemingly converging on a particular point regarding level-design as a format of communication. To this sequence I appended the remaining two levels, like this: E2L3 -> E1L3 -> E1L7 -> E1L6 -> E2L6, thus sort of ranking them from the least sophisticated gameplay-wise - to the most sophisticated one.
(cont)

>> No.5490774

>>5490763
There were still unanswered questions though.

First, E2L3 as presumably Mal Blackwell's level didn't quite ever sit right with me (spacious, straightforward, only one secret, if I remember correctly). The spaciousness in particular was nearly entirely missing from the other four levels, all the while being very apparent at the levels, presumably made by Sverre Kvernmo (and his Doom levels as well, by the way).

Second, I assumed that E1L7 taught you going up chains (that was later used in E1L6) through the mandatory ascension up a short chain near the end the level. However, earlier in E1L7, midlevel, there was another example of going up a chain, a quite well hidden one, leading to the secret. It was either that you were meant to backtrack to it from the end of the level, which seemed unlikely, and you had no reason to anyway - or you were supposed to know how to do it already. Neither E1L3 nor E2L3, however, featured mandatory chain climbing, either as a mandatory exercise or, moreover, if I am not mistaken, even as an optional one. I simply don't currently remember there any chains whatsoever.

Third, I didn't think I understood E1L3's point at all, there were secrets I didn't find (that level has a lot) including a seemingly large optional area. It didn't connect to E1L7 in an obvious way.

Fourth, when I first played Redneck Rampage, continuously, like 6 or 7 years ago, the levels that stuck out to me the most, were E1L6 and E2L5, which, in my subdivision, were presumably Mayberry's. Thing is, however. Three Mayberry's wads I've played, starship.wad, starshp2.wad and shadow.wad, were utter fucking clueless inept random shit by someone who didn't understood what one was doing, at all. The notion of Downtown Hickston and Mortuary being simply some random hodgepodge also didn't really make sense to me. I, however, at the time being, decided to leave that for later.
(cont)

>> No.5490783

>>5490774
note1: Also, while E1L7 -> E1L6 -> E2L6 were seemingly concerned with communicating with player through the item placements and occasional letters, E2L3, in the beginning on the level, contained a flat out inscription akin to "If you have shit framerate, turn off production line on the level". That also didn't seem quite in character.

Anyway, recently I started replaying some of the other 10 levels I didn't pay much attention to back then.

I haven't replayed E1L3 or E2L3 so far.

E1L2 features a part in it, near its middle, extremely similar to the beginning of E2L3. Also the bit with the saw is very reminiscent of E2L3's production line with the presses.

While I can readily believe E1L2, E1L4 and E2L2 were made by the same person, E2L4 by no means fits at all. The aforementioned spaciousness is simply not there, the second/upper part of the levels of everything else RR-related, is most reminiscent of Junkyard to me (one totaled car in it could be seen as a reference - or maybe as a precursor?), and there is also a mandatory exercise at climbing up the chain. Moreover, it seems to be on point (something along the lines of "the is more than you probably think there is"), expressed most clearly through the multi-part megasecret in the upper part of the ruins (more specifically, when you exit the backyard with all the dead dogs, you can access one last secret by walking atop of the fence around the backyard). Moreover, it contains at least two examples of communicating with the player using signs/inscriptions, like, I don't remember in details, like "fragile" or "unstable construction" or something. There is a mandatory door like that in the beginning of the level, and a part of the wall near the end when you go through megasecret. So, anyway, it does seem quite Blackwell's to me so far. Where it fits, I don't know yet, I need to replay E1L3 and find everything in it, so that I finally get its point, at the very least.
(cont)

>> No.5490798

>>5490783
And most importantly. I replayed E1L1 and E1L5.

I started having doubts in E1L1. The combat seemed suspiciously decent there. There were a couple of neat tricks concerning the secrets. Like yes, you were walking between farmhouses connected via roads, and that was pretty predictable, and some of the parts of the level were definitely quite random, but the whole thing was very far from braindead.

Mid E1L5 it hit me. I was playing intentional trash. As in something built around "Anything goes" notion, complete lack of self-censorship. Like, well, Plug'n'Pray. It was this exact attitude that I had, in fact, remembered most starkly from first playthrough of the game from years ago and from Downtown Hickston and Mortuary specifically. It was not in the slightest by chance it was that THESE levels stuck out with me the most the first time around. There definitely seems to me to be tangible intent behind them and their "trashy" format of communicating said intent.

Problem is, however, starship.wad, starshp2.wad and shadow.wad were completely UNintentional trash, they were simply trash. It was either that I completely misunderstood and misinterpreted them, or that that person became a radically better mapper in several years between their release and the work on RR.

There were two more wads there, Templ2_0.wad (insanit2.zip) and Pdgate.wad/.zip (Perdition's Gate), which I didn't pay much attention to at the time, having been completely fed up with craptastic aforementioned three wads. These later two wads did something the first three wads didn't. In those wads there was an additional credit, to Mayberry's wife.

I think, I just might take a real close second look at Perdition's Gate wad one of these days.

>> No.5490802

>>5490798
>Problem is, however, starship.wad, starshp2.wad and shadow.wad were completely UNintentional trash, they were simply garbage.

>> No.5490814

>>5490763
>Mayberry made all the worst levels
>Blackwall made all the bests levels

Sounds about right; although I'd swap Junkyard and Lumberland, as well as The Ruins and J. Clucks.
Going by the fact that The Ruins and Uranium Mines are the only 2 levels that use RoR, I'd say they're both Blackwell's.
Also, the layout mentality in Lumberland and Smeltin' Plants are very similar.

J.Clucks is a great map but its layout and arhictecture are way too squarish to be put into the same category of those other maps.

>> No.5491068

Is it just me, or is Redneck Rampage just kinda... not great.

>> No.5491243

>>5491068
I think it's half great, half horrible. -Which makes it average on average.

>> No.5491293

>>5491068
compared to dn, blood, sw, it's average at best

>> No.5491392

Reminder to try out Rides Again even if you didn't like the first game.