[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 117 KB, 1920x1080, Diablo-2-Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5481875 No.5481875 [Reply] [Original]

So whats the deal with Diablo 2?
I remember playing and enjoying Diablo 1 a couple of years ago, I didn't grow up with it but I had a fun time, It was short and sweet and it didn't overstay its welcome.

Maybe its because I played Diablo 2 straight away, or maybe the Necromancer was a bad choice to start but what ended up happening was that I got fed up with it by the desert area.
So whats keeps people coming back to the sequel? is it the online? nostalgia? both?
I even tried a one or two successors like Grim Dawn but the ARPG style of uberclicking doesn't seem to sit well with me, which is weird because I didn't mind D1.

maybe I should give it another chance with a mod or something.

>> No.5481882

You missed out if you didn't play D2 back in the day, one of the best games ever made.

>> No.5481891

>>5481875
It's the gambling aspect and by it I don't mean Gheed himself. The whole game is a slot machine that people keep spinning

>> No.5481926

>>5481891
That's the genre in general.

>> No.5482290

>>5481875
something similar happened to me with other genres, like real time strategy which I completely replaced by turn based, and fps which I only later played some that were hybrid with rpgs. Maybe you already enjoyed all you had to enjoy of that genre.

>> No.5482321

>>5481875
>>5481875
>>5481875

You just don't like Action RPG's or you feel the weight of the mechanics rather than enjoying a different presentation that hides some of the RPG elements that accompany most of these games. I played through Dark Souls, Diablo II, and Dragon's Dogma (to name a few) and each game has a different way of presenting the illusion of "Action" whilst still basically being an RNG grindfest (Dark Souls being mostly based on strict stat rolling, builds, and spinning the dice when it comes to how certain things in the game work.)

I think perhaps its just not a genre you enjoy or perhaps you don't see the point of it all. I stopped playing most RPGS in general, because they are tedious, rely on random number generation, and more often than not devolve to a higher numbers game and reaction speed, not skill.

>> No.5482340

>>5481875
Diablo 1 is not the same as any of the followup games in its vein. It's a short dungeon crawler that also has loot, not a loot grinder that drags on for a hundred years. That said I still enjoyed D2 with Eastern Sun even if the rest of the genre can blow me for all I care.

>> No.5482349

Still the best ARPG to this day
Always imitated, never replicated

>> No.5482850

The gameplay itself was fluid and fun. World itself doesn't feel repetive, and there is always a sense of progression. The amount of different builds and the randomization of everything makes every experience of starting a new character feel fresh.

Hell felt really hard back in the day, and you really needed the other players to survive out there (until you learned to make the right builds etc.). Getting a powerful which made able you to solo more efficently felt a huge thing. It wasn't just a meaningless stat boost.

Also the community made the game feel really alive. Since you could trade anything, but gold didn't really have any value, the community created the economy. When you went to ingame chat rooms, people were always talking there. There was trading going on, there were clans (even though game doesn't have clan system). The pvp system was fun. We had clan conflicts, and when playing, you would never knew if hostile player comes to kill you. Funny thing is that, even though the servers were only 8 players max, the game felt like a mmorpg. A huge alive world with thousands of other players.

>> No.5482853
File: 353 KB, 640x480, Diablo-2-Cow-Portal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5482850
This, the glory days of teaming up with friends to loot the secret cow level will never be replicated, only imitated.

>> No.5483059

>>5481875
>So whats the deal with Diablo 2?

stop playing games, Jerry.

>> No.5483354

>>5481875
Grim Dawn is shit. It feels terrible to play and looks terrible.

The genre in general is very replayable and D2 had the whole ladder thing going that kept pulling people back (me included). There's also such a massive amount of builds you can make even if most of them aren't that good on hell. It also has some pretty nice gear progression that allows you to scale your playstyle and build based on the gear you have and you can pretty much choose where you farm though your build will limit the options.

On that note Diablo 1 is a much better suited game for one playthrough. Killing Diablo gives you conclusion and you don't really get lured to play more the same way D2 does.

>> No.5483541

Just started Median and what bothers me most is the shitty filters they used for areas to make them more dark and shit

80% of the time there's a green glow that makes me think I'm poisoned

>> No.5483570

>tfw the only way to play D1 in HD is to play through someone's fanfic mod

>> No.5483605

>>5481875
I felt the same way. Loved D1 and then jumped straight into D2 and thought it was incredibly meh.

>> No.5484668

>>5483541
That would be because Median is ASS

>> No.5485115
File: 18 KB, 415x454, 1505385101926.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>want to try out some mods cause they look interesting
>people keep shilling Eastern Sun
>fuck it, I'll try it
>Mod has two separate forks from the base mod. All of which are in various stages of support
>all managed by different, unrelated people
>dozens of different versions of each fork spread like chaos across the net
>absolute ass cancer to get running, still have no idea if I'm even playing the most recent patch as half the websites linked online and in the readme don't even exist anymore
>game only runs with D2SE and then only in fullscreen if you want anything bigger than minimum resolution
>pick paladin
>walk outside rouge encampment
>immediately swamped by over a dozen skeletons and dark huntresses
>boss pack with cold right out the fucking gate
>every enemy in the fucking blood moor have less than 50% chance to be hit, thanks to retarded monster levels
>people think this is fun
>there's little no to documentation at all telling what has been changed in the mod versus the base game, nor how any of the new mechanics work

Whomever was behind the design of the mods early game needs to be dragged out into the street and shot through the head. All you've achieved with the mod is to make me want to not play it ever again...and fuck every single one of you here for shilling this abysmal crap.

>> No.5485117

>>5485115
The only Diablo 2 mod that's actually good is Path of Diablo.

>> No.5485118

>>5485117
>Path of Diablo
>online required for the mod to work properly
Fuck off.

>> No.5485123

>>5485118
Nigga just play in a passworded game what's the problem? It's still the only D2 mod that actually tries to preserve the D2 experience yet improve it where it was lacking. All the other mods are weeaboo-edgemaster-powerfantasy-tier.

>> No.5485124

>>5485123
>what's the problem?
I'm from australia, the latency is horrific. I play d2 because I don't want to play something online like d3.

>> No.5485128

>>5485124
There are servers both in Sydney and Melbourne. Surely you can get a decent ping on one of those?

>> No.5485135

>>5481875
MY problem with ARPGs is that they all reduce themselves down into RNG grindfests. They're no better than grandpa playing a slot machine game for 40 straight hours.

I played Space Siege once where you could actually build your character and weapons somewhat responsibly (the enemy gave you currency and then you could trade that currency in at stations that gave you upgrades for your armor & weapons). It was almost fun, especially compared to the "Damn! It's got lightening damage but it's only a one-handed axe!" "Argh! I can't wear that because I'm not a magic-user!" "Fuck! Why can't these merchants ever sell anything that I remotely want?!" "#$%@!!! I already have that but in a weaker version!!!" that you usually get with ARPGs.

>> No.5485139

>>5485128
Playable? Sure, but still crap if I want to do anything that requires aiming at distance...and dude as I said I still play D2 so I can avoid D3s bullshit, I don't wanna install a mod that gives brings it into this game. Always online is a cancer infesting video games in the modern day.

Fucking stupid that the devs of PoD don't include a singleplayer version of the mod.

I might give it another go, but I just know it's gonna leave me with a sour taste in my mouth when I try and play a bowzon or sorc.

>> No.5485140

>>5485135
Meant "My" & not "MY." Oops.

>> No.5485148

>>5485135
Diablo 1 is definitely more on the non-grindy side. Dungeon Siege 1 (and I guess 2) as well. The genre was really built on top of Diablo 2 which laid the groundwork for the grindy aspect so that's what we mostly get. I enjoy both versions though.

>>5485139
>Fucking stupid that the devs of PoD don't include a singleplayer version of the mod.
Well yeah it does suck obviously. I'm not sure of all the stuff that is multiplayer only but it's probably an issue with the lack of developer time to implement all that on the singleplayer as well. He's already having a hard time running the multiplayer side of things. I guess I can't really relate to bad internet since we have it so good in the EU. I'd recommend at least testing out how it feels on the Australian servers.

>> No.5485158

>>5485115
I can only think of a couple instances in the entire history of video games where mods of existing games are professional quality and worth playing as if they were their own games.
Randos really cannot be trusted with game design.

>> No.5485159
File: 88 KB, 279x235, 1505442883880.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5485148
>I'd recommend at least testing out how it feels on the Australian servers.
christ, alright alright
>installed
>server down
God is real and he hates me.

>> No.5485172

I missed out on D1 and D2 for whatever reason growing up, I was never really into hack and slash games and the most I played (and that doesn't mean a lot) was Sacred. I always gravitated more towards shit like oldschool FPS games and RPGs or strategies like Neverwinter Nights or Commandos.

Want to get into D2 now, I think D1 is a bit too basic for me. Are there any pastas on what to install/mods to use, etc?

>> No.5485178

>>5485159
>third to half second delay time for everything
>enemies run on the spot
>inventory management is painful

I tried. My net isn't even bad by aussie standards.

>>5485172
If you really want to experience D2 as it was meant to be played, don't use any mods or addons at all. At least for your first playthrough, it's half the fun managing your inventory space and making permanent character build choices, fucking a character up etc but if you can't be bothered, then the way to play would be with PlugY. Gives unlimited respec of stats/skills and infinite storage space.

You will need 1.13c or d to make the PlugY work though, the latest version, 1.14, of D2 broke most mods.

Should be in here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fXnpobbx_Il5fAvTwe1RVDoaEcP9TWm0YJRRHnNY7QA/edit

If you really want to avoid the torrent and farting around with old versions, you can install 1.14 from the blizzard site, it's cheap enough, and use something like http://gomule.sourceforge.net/ - it's a third party program that acts as outside-game extra storage. Works fine, just requires you to open another program ever now and then.

>> No.5485181

>>5485178
I don't really mind fucking around with storage space, I don't see it as a major issue with the game especially since I haven't played yet. When it comes to mods I was asking more about whether or not it runs well in modern resolutions and has to be patched.

>> No.5485186

>>5485181
There are mods that increase the resolution, but they come with the side effect of being able to target monsters outside their agro range, which is a little gamebreaking, and the mod only works for 1.12.

I'd recommend just trying it without the resolution mods, to see if you can put up with it, everyone else does. It's not really that unbearable. Just remember to go into game settings when you first start and up the resolution to the highest. It's better than nothing.

>> No.5485190

>>5485186
>>5485181
oh and if you want, you can add a "-w" to the shortcut to run it in a window, which allows you to stretch the game to your screens resolution. Looks kinda janky but some enjoy it.

>> No.5485191

>>5485186
>but they come with the side effect of being able to target monsters outside their agro range

so nobody has modded a fix for that in all these years?
Im not a modder but considering the work that went on things like median that seems simple in comparison

>> No.5485192

>>5485191
None that I know of, I think it might be an engine limitation. Though I could be wrong.

>> No.5485194

Give this a look if you want to try it: https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo2/comments/a952dw/how_to_play_diablo_2_with_higher_resolution_and/

>> No.5485202

>>5485172
http://d2.zenite.io/

>> No.5485212

>>5485186
>>5485190
>>5485202
I'll check the original out first, then I'll give these a shot. Thanks guys.

>> No.5485213

>>5485186
>but they come with the side effect of being able to target monsters outside their agro range
Honestly it's really not too bad, there's very few times in game where it will give you an advantage.

>> No.5485340

>>5485194
is there a noCD patch fro 1.13c? I tried moving the video and audio files of the expansion in 1.13d and it worked, but 1.13c still asks for the disk

>> No.5485358

>>5485340
Not that I know of. I assume you torrented it?

It shouldn't need it, from 1.12 onward the game should work without a CD as long as you have all the mpq files from the CDs. It also has to be the "full" installation. Did you do an install/reinstall in a different directory? If so go into your registry and delete this: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II

It should fix itself when you launch the game again.

You also could use an iso mounting program if you have the games iso, to fake having a CD.

>> No.5485361

>>5485358
>>5485340
make sure you ALL of the mpq files from every disc, some people have found that all they need are the music ones, others need everything.

>> No.5485462

>>5481875
I think the reason D2 was so successful is the care that was given to Act 1.
From a design point of view, Act 1 is a masterpiece, and I think is one of the most memorable videogame experience one can have. The music, the artstyle, the characters, the maps, the items, the loot, the gameplay, the variety, the rhythm of combat, everything is perfect.

>> No.5485621

>>5481891
It's more than that. Playing with builds is fun, especially with PlugY.

>> No.5485645
File: 425 KB, 800x1200, rip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5481875
Ladder resets, at least in Hardcore mode, is like bi annual Everest climbing sprints. Only the top couple hundred will make it to the top, and it's just fun to see people dying in every possible way. As you get beyond level 70 the blood pressure and adrenaline rise and you get to see some devastating butthurt along the way which is both hilarious and sad. The real addiction is the meta shit, not just the gameplay.

>> No.5485673

>>5481875
>So whats keeps people coming back to the sequel?
The fact there's still a bunch of GIGA-RARE items to be discovered, even two decades later.

>> No.5485678

Any cool strats for the Amazon? I just rescued Deckard, grasping that I can throw javelins everywhere for massive damage took me like three hours, but now I can shit all over everything - especially since I got that fancy lightning strike. How do you guys level the skills?

>> No.5485694

>cant get higher resolutions on path of diablo
dangit, at least I would like to get things to look crisp if we are not going to get more screen real estate

>> No.5485719

also while we are at it, can you use perfect drop with Plugy and multires?

>> No.5485739

>>5481875
It's an easy pick-up-and-play. Unlike D3 there's no shitty boring tutorial stretch and unlike D3 it's not strictly a straight line from the literal start to the literal end of the game. Unlike D1 the gameplay isn't super bogged down by antiquity (limited resets is 100% horseshit but whatever), and it rests in a very nice place of being 'accessible enough' but 'with enough depth.'

Between uniquely building your own character, trying new classes, and new strategies, running through to see what rare gear drops for you, there's enough to justify seeing where a totally new run can get you.

I started one game getting a Gull at or before Andariel and boy howdy, that was something.

>> No.5485784

>>5485673
Go on...

>> No.5485794

Or you could dust off your old copy of Hellgate London and get on the London2038 server. Bear in mind, the Steam version available right now is based on Hanbitsoft's code while London2038 is rebuilding from Flagship's final version.

Flagship, for those not in the know is most of the Diablo 2 team. They rage quit when resources were pulled from Diablo to make WoW and formed a new company.

>> No.5485808

>>5485115
I decided to try Median XL myself.
>the completely overhauled crafting means you need to just collect every fucking thing until you figure out what's actually worthwhile
>even looking at the wiki while crafting, you'll still probably fuck something up
>oh, and some of this stuff will change from patch to patch, so good luck knowing anything for long
>most of the new creatures look weird and there is no effort to maintain the same artstyle
>the added special quests are either a bland fight or gimmicky shit, nothing of value really added
>all charms have been removed to free up your inventory, and your inventory, cube, and stash have been greatly expanded but there's still barely any loot worth grabbing
It's neat, and a lot of work has obviously gone into it, but I have a hard time recommending this to anyone.

>> No.5485829

>>5485172
>>5485212
I don't recommend using the multires mod. Instead use Glide and simply play it unstretched fullscreen or in a window. Multires mod makes the play area kinda weird since it only scales what you see but not really the gameplay.

PlugY is nice if you're going to play singleplayer since the inventory is so fucking small by default and the game shits endless potentially useful loot.

>> No.5485843

>>5485678
The poison javelins are great for leveling. The first one that just makes a path of poison you can throw so that it doesnt hit the enemy so it'll keep going and make more poison and you can kite enemies into it.

>> No.5485893

>>5485117
Path of Diablo is barely any different from Diablo 2. The only notable part is the quality of life. Most of the other additions are uninteresting, or fucking bizarre, like giving the Assassin skills straight out of MXL.

>>5485115
Diablo 2 mods are almost entirely centered around diehard fans who enjoy discovering new builds and mechanics. You are expected to use the respec button to its fullest extent, and swapping between characters at different stages of the game is not unusual. Also, the documentation is not that hard to find, it is the first result on Google.

I really wouldn't recommend Eastern Sun as a first mod, though. It is relentlessly difficult for certain types of builds and the sheer number of recipes can be overwhelming. If you are going to be starting out and want something simple that doesn't require absurd understanding of the documentation, then I have a few recommendations:

>Baldur's Gate (the mod)
Swaps around skills a bit and is forked from 1.09, so it is a very relaxed experience. Has a few new, intuitive recipes to play around with.
>Lament of Innocence
Every character gets the same skill. Lets you pull off some silly builds.
>Kingdom of Tenai
Use money to buy new skills, but you are limited on what you can have based on the subclass you choose. Gets really absurd as you get into it.
>Legacy of the Horadrim
Gives you a book which can learn a limited number of skills, but these skills can be from any character. A lot of creativity can be put to use here.
>The Black Parade and Dark Alliance
These change around the story quite a bit in pretty fun ways. Neither are very long unfortunately.

Also, if you ever need documentation or a link to a mod, I can probably find it. I've been collecting hundreds of them.

>> No.5485904

>>5485829
>>5485843
I'm playing with PlugY, ended up lowering the resolution to make the UI scale a little better, so far I'm enjoying myself but having to return to the camp to repair my javelins is a bit bullshit though. About to enter the Inner Cloister.

Poison weapons also aren't my thing, I'm just wondering when I'll get a proper javelin-like weapon that's OP as fuck.

>> No.5485908

>>5485904
>Poison weapons also aren't my thing
Shame because they're part of a javelin build essentially. They're your tool to deal with lightning immunes on nightmare and hell.
>I'm just wondering when I'll get a proper javelin-like weapon that's OP as fuck.
Lightning Fury.

>> No.5485931

>>5485908
Currently dumping shit into Critical Strike and Lightning Bolt, going to be a while before level 30.

>> No.5485938

>>5485893
>and swapping between characters at different stages of the game is not unusual

so mods let you do that and keep your level? or do you have to rely on saved gear until you regain those?

>> No.5485948

>>5485938
You don't keep your level, but you'd have to make a maximum of 7 characters, since you can just reset your skills and attributes whenever. I've never really played a mod where you need more than two characters, one for the early game and one for the late game.

>> No.5486336

>>5485808
"Nothing of value really added"? "Barely any loot worth grabbing"? Did you even reach end game?

>> No.5486340

Which mod adds Diablo 1 into the game completely?

>> No.5486353

>>5481875
Diablo 2 knows how to give you rewards that count and keep handing them to you. As well as give you proper motivation to get the rewards that you have to work for IE:Runewords

No game, even PoE, managed to do that for me. Everything past Diablo has been either random number generators farting out shit that occasionally was useful or extremely limited loot-tables of which only one or two things were ever any good for any level of player.

Its' like mid 00's the game industry got hooked to the dynamically generated phase and killed good loot forever.

When you go into Diablo you have to remember that everything you have is transitional. You don't own any piece of gear that you're not looking to replace. What's the goal of D2? Not to get levels,but to grind gear. Getting levels comes with grinding gear. Completing the story gives you more areas which has more gear. Etc. etc. It was the perfect feedback loop for the player.

If you're having problems in single player, here is my advice:

-Don't do a 'single player' campaign
-Instead, use 'local multiplayer', this is the same as a single player game only it thinks you're networking on a LAN
-Use '/players 8' (with the /) to set the game difficulty to think you are actually eight players in EASY areas, this lets you level fast and get the best loot.
-use '/players 1' when you're in a TOUGH area and you want to take it easy and just get through it. You will be so remarkably overleveled that you will style all over enemies in this area when you do this, but will get no good loot
-Look up a good build and stick to it
-You can start out with any class, but the caveat is that some classes are inherently more skill-based than others. Pick something like trapsin or hammerdin as your first class for your 'Slayer' playthrough (regular difficulty of Diablo), for your 'Nightmare' playthrough, start a new character and run through again, for 'Hell', start a new character with a hell-specific build and go through again etc.

>> No.5486362

Any suggestions on getting Diablo 2 playing when I don't have a CD reader? I have all the discs, but hate the B.net launcher.

>> No.5486408

>>5485462
My first experience with a brand new computer and diablo 2 will forever be burned into my head. I came into that after mostly playing on a Windows 95 Packard Bell.

>> No.5486410

>>5485893
Explain why all the enemies right out the gate are near impossible to hit. That's horseshit and immediately off putting. There's no need for it to be that way. Its not difficult, its just retarded.

>> No.5486415

>>5486362
If you have your CD keys, download it from blizzard and use them. Its free and you don't need to use any launcher.

>> No.5486416

>>5486353
Thanks anon.

>> No.5486418

>>5486415
Unfortunately, the keys are with the disks, which I have at home (Traveling atm, part of why I wanted to play)
But if I get the keys, I can just download it from blizzard? How do I do that? Get the bnet launcher and just give them the keys and they give me the ISOs?

>> No.5486428

>>5485462
For me, it will always be Act 2.

>> No.5486434

>>5486418
Shut up about the blizzard launcher. D2 doesn't run from it. A simple Google search should take you to the classic games section on the blizzard site, where you can download the installers for both the game and its expac. I believe you can use the blizz site to turn old CD keys into the newer version, they changed how the keys look at some point. Its all really simple if you go on the blizzard site.

>> No.5486435

>>5486418
>Get the bnet launcher and just give them the keys and they give me the ISOs?
More or less, yes.
I logged into battlenet on pc and 'redeemed' my physical keys. Now in my bnet account I shows d2 as being purchased and has new keys that works with the most up to date installer.

>> No.5486447

I want to play again, but I've only gotten more autistic as I've gotten older and I'm always torn between wanting to try something new and following a netlist. What do I do?

>> No.5486470

>>5486410
It isn't intended to be difficult, nor is it intended to be tedious. The mod provides you with fulminating potions for a reason. That you quit without even checking your inventory or searching for alternative options (e.g. hoboing around the Blood Moor opening stones and chests to get some starting gear) tells me you have no patience, which brings into question why you even wanted to play a Diablo 2 mod.

>> No.5486480

>>5486353
Im not used to all this build stuff in ARPGs so Im genuinely curious: wheres the fun in replaying the same areas over and over again while sticking to a list someone else made?
to be fair it seems easy enough to try stuff out by yourself with PlugY since you wont have to create a new character every time you want to test a skill combo

also I just looked up hammerdin since Im playing that class
Is one expected to deck out on all this gear that might or might not drop hours into the game? some of it seems craftable but it kinda looks to me that you might finish the game by the time you have a working set, and then what? what else is there left to do once you check all the boxes? isn't the point to get keep keep up with the gear arms race?

>> No.5486575

>>5486336
Yeah, end game.
>where you go fight either gimmicky or bland bosses for super powered charms
>which are entirely optional since you can beat Baal on Hell without em
>you'll probably not even notice the bonuses given how powerful your gear should be by that point anyways
>+2 to skill levels is cool, but a drop in the bucket since the sword I carried back in NM gave me +3
>whee, more resistances when everything was already maxed out
You get more power from crafted and runeword shit in Median XL than you get even if you bother to get all the endgame goodies. With runewords being just as important as in base D2, Median XL doesn't add much of value. Like I said, it's neat, and obviously a lot of work went into it, but they still haven't gotten the balance down. It's gotten better, the removal of invincible enemies is a step in the right direction, and the Butcher fight is MUCH less gimmicky if still a bit funky. It's still not at the point where I would recommend it though.

>> No.5486616

>>5486480
I think it's mostly that some people just find it fun. As for gear progression, Diablo 2 has so many options for it that you can slowly build up to your ideal gear. If you look at a guide they'll often simply list the best items. Maybe sometimes they'll list a budget option. Yet that doesn't even cover half of it. And like speedrunners have shown us you can complete the game with almost literally no gear. So it's mostly that some people find it fun to grind for that gear and see it increase in power.

>> No.5486663

>>5486480
>wheres the fun in replaying the same areas over and over again while sticking to a list someone else made?
that's exactly what a straight-up action game like Ninja Gaiden is

>> No.5487089

>>5483541
Use D3D instead of Glide
>>5485808
Crafting is super simple, the median website tells you everything you need to know including the items you need.
Charms have not been removed you obviously did not reach the end game, hell you didn't even make it to level 50
Collecting stuff is simple, you find what you want to make then go run areas until you find it. It isn't hard, most items you need for crafting drop in the high level dungeons and have specific drop bias (Eg. Signets drop more frequently in KA3000)
>>5486575
Ok now you are talking out of your ass, Baal on hell without doing the ubers? What level were you when you killed Baal?

>> No.5487108

>>5486480
>Is one expected to deck out on all this gear that might or might not drop hours into the game? some of it seems craftable but it kinda looks to me that you might finish the game by the time you have a working set, and then what?
Mostly what you do first is search for stuff you can use while leveling and then slowly build up your 'kit' for hell.

>> No.5487123

>>5486447
Try something new that 'sounds good', I did this with my martial arts assassin and promptly fucked myself once I got to hell and everything was immune to my bullshit.
But that said, holy fuck was it fun bullshit.

>> No.5487331

>>5481926
Diablo 1 averts it completely. Enemies don't respawn unless you restart the entire campaign. A larger emphasis is placed on crowd control and managing enemies instead of just tanking through them. The random drops are bolstered by strong unique items that you are guaranteed at the end of every quest.

I honestly think Diablo II was a step back in many regards by boiling down the characters into much more restrictive classes, creating a lot of junk items in the process. For example, if you are using anything besides a scepter as a paladin, you are basically an idiot. Each class really needed a broader pool of weapons and abilities to draw from while still remaining in the spirit of their class. How about a vampire hunter paladin who is able to use the crossbow to provide heavy ranged damage? Or a necromancer walking into the thick of it with a scythe? Or a Sorceress who can imbue magical effects on weapons similar to enchant but with a greater variety of magical damage.

I still enjoy Diablo II and playing through it with a group of three other friends, but at this point I may as well just use a trainer to spawn in the items I am looking for because I know how to grind for them and just want to save time.

>> No.5487335

>>5483570
Belzebub would be so much better if they just toned down the enemy strength. There are way to many parts where you are just roadblocked by numbers that are just too big and need to go back and grind.

>> No.5487341
File: 34 KB, 309x409, d2runes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Honestly considering getting a D2 tat of runes.

>> No.5487345

>>5487341
been thinking about that for ages now. I would probably get a runeword, small tat running down the arm near the shoulder.

>> No.5487347

>>5486418
Diablo II was updated so you don't need the CD's to run the game. Just type in your CD key on the installer and it will download the latest version.

>> No.5487348
File: 8 KB, 134x178, dcolp64-1a25cff1-9925-4611-b5cf-8bcb9f4f2a54.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5487345
Runewords are an interesting idea but it feels kind of bland when it's just running down in a line. Needs more imo.
Current ideas are some kind of compass with 3 expanding circles of all runes.

>> No.5487349
File: 385 KB, 1874x2422, beast.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5487345
some guy made the vectors if you're actually interested https://www.deviantart.com/buckethelm/art/Diablo-2-Runes-vectors-font-632760322 and aren't making them yourself; think i'd stylize them a bit more rigidly

>> No.5487350

>>5487348
Would have to be all really small to fit, unless you wanna cover your whole back or something. That's why I would prefer just the runeword. 3-6 runes, looks simple.

>>5487349
cheers!

>> No.5487354

>>5487341
>>5487345
>>5487348
>>5487349
Tattoos are only for four groups of people;
criminals, slaves, sailors and soldiers

>> No.5487356

>>5487354
thanks pol

>> No.5487362

>>5487356
I'm not political or even right, but I don't understand why people do this to their bodies.

>> No.5487363

>>5487354
>>5487356
I'm /pol/ and I say otherwise get a tat if it's tasteful, unobtrusive and hidden in formal occasions. Also was in the navy, so I guess I get a pass through your logic.

People that get massive tats that cover the arm, hands, face etc deserve the bullet though.

>> No.5487368
File: 75 KB, 576x768, Nm4PvVvwQOkb3k6G0QkLdfiJ6-RFw1covv5JYhU1av8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5487362
obviously because i want to become indestructable

>> No.5487387

>>5487331
The downside of Diablo 1 was that if you didn't use magic you were basically stuck with melee attack or ranged attack. Diablo 2 fixed that by introducing the class skill trees. It made all types of characters interesting to play. Was it the best solution to the problem? Maybe not but it worked.

>How about a vampire hunter paladin who is able to use the crossbow to provide heavy ranged damage? Or a necromancer walking into the thick of it with a scythe? Or a Sorceress who can imbue magical effects on weapons similar to enchant but with a greater variety of magical damage.
Well to an extent all of these builds exist. I agree in part that the skill trees restricted you a bit much but they sort of lessened that with interesting Unique and Runeword design that made it possible to do builds that pushed the boundaries. The downfall was the poor balance that made most of those unique builds less than optimal though that would go for 99% of the builds in LoD.

>> No.5487397

>>5487387
You'd think by this age in the games life that people would have stopped being complete "muh efficiency" metafags, but I still see people getting up in arms if you aren't playing a sorc that's min maxed to the nth degree.

>> No.5487432
File: 697 KB, 1362x999, basicsorc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

new ladder coming along nicely, though others who don't cramp up their hands are far ahead

>> No.5487451

>>5487397
Unfortunately, the game's feedback loop encourages efficiency as the only means of completion. The enemies don't have much behavior beyond "move towards the player and attack" If you had to fight more unique monsters with multiple attack types, like what Diablo himself does, if would allow for more unique playstyles. Until then, DPS is the only metric for player progression

>> No.5487464

>>5487451
>you have to be a metafag, because metafagging is the best strat
you have brain aids

>> No.5487468

>>5487464
I'm saying that for He'll difficulty, as the game is balanced now, you simply cannot afford to be anything but following a cookie cutter build order. This wasn't the problem back before synergies were brought in since you had a lot more room to spread your points.

>> No.5487520

>check up on Path of diablo out of curiosity
>join server with 6 people
>everybody leaves
>join another
>hey anon can you please leave? its too hard

either these people dont like my face or they hate druids
then again I assume I should level up offline first before jumping in?

>> No.5487685

>>5487520
Sounds like you joined a bunch of faggots.

>then again I assume I should level up offline first before jumping in?
If you mean leveling up in a passworded game then yeah sure. You can't play single player and then bring that character into multiplayer. Also it won't make sense for you to join an act 5 game when you're level 1. It's like a couple months since the ladder reset so public games probably aren't that active.

>> No.5487795

>>5487685
what will happen to my character after the ladder resets
apparently you can respec your skill points or something after they introduce mayor changes, but I havent found how to do it yet

>> No.5487812

>>5487795
also, what happens if I create an open game, play for a couple hours and then leave?
what if somebody else joins?

>> No.5488050

>>5487349
>>5487348
>>5487368
fucking degenerates

>> No.5488062

>>5488050
dumb degenerate

>> No.5488106

>>5485462
Yeah this.
Act 2 and 3 are pretty unpopular and Act 4 was rushed to get the game out on time.
Act 5 had potential but iunno something about it just doesn't feel right to me.

>> No.5488142

>>5488106
Acts 2, 3, and 4 have next to no optional quests. Everything that you do is just a rush to the end. Almost all of the quests in Act 1 and 5 are optional though.

>> No.5488371

>>5487331
>A larger emphasis is placed on crowd control and managing enemies instead of just tanking through them
>Diablo
What? You have this completely backwards. Utility skills are almost non-existent in Diablo, because you can just chain lightning entire screens to death.

>I honestly think Diablo II was a step back in many regards by boiling down the characters into much more restrictive classes
WHAT? I can't think of a time I used anything except a staff as a sorcerer, or anything but a bow as a rogue, or anything except for a sword or axe as a warrior. You'd be a retard to do otherwise, since the frame rates are incredibly biased toward very specific playstyles, with sorcerers casting by far the fastest, rogues shooting bows by far the fastest and warriors whacking by far the fastest. The only exceptions would be using charges, which is the exact same case in Diablo 2. They are both pretty much equally restrictive, except Diablo 2 adds in a few items that enable wonky builds (e.g. that crossbow that gives guided arrow as an oskill, ironically making the vampire hunter paladin idea you are proposing as impossible very possible).

>> No.5488381

How the fuck do you beat Hell in SP? I have a meteorb, lvl 76 and I'm on Act 3. My merc got killed fast and I have to constantly teleport around to avoid getting killed myself. Any advice? I do have plugy so gear isn't that much of an issue.

Also is the server down for good?

>> No.5488395

>>5488381
Level up more, get better gear. Farm nightmare.

>> No.5488397

>>5488381
post stats and gear

>> No.5488405

>>5488142
Completely wrong; I'm actually embarrassed for you

>> No.5488413

>>5488142
imo acts 1 & 2 are godlike. 3 is a drag, 4 is rushed, and i like 5

>> No.5488420

>>5485115
You fell for the memes, Anon. All D2 mods are trash; zero exceptions. Play vanilla, or don't play at all.

>> No.5488471

>>5487795
>what will happen to my character after the ladder resets
It should move to non-ladder but I'm not sure how PoD handles this. Ladder reset gaps are quite long usually so you don't need to worry about that unless you plan playing the same character for months.

You can respec your character for free 3 times after you've completed the first quest of act 1 on each of the 3 difficulties. Just speak to Akara in the town on a difficulty where you haven't used the respec yet. On top of that hell bosses drop 4 items that can be combined in the cube into a respec item.

>>5487812
>play for a couple hours and then leave?
The game will close after a minute or two.
>what if somebody else joins?
The game won't close as long as there is someone in it but if they complete quests in there you won't be able to complete those quests if you come back. PoD servers also restart every few hours to make sure they don't crash. If the server is about to restart you get a notification ingame every few minutes.

>>5488142
Act 2 has 1 optional quest. Act 3 has 3 (or 4 if you get boosted) optional quests. Act 4 has 2 (out of the 3 it has) optional quests. Act 5 has 4 optional quests. That doesn't really have anything to do with the quality of the acts imo.

>> No.5488490

>>5488381
Sorceress is the hardest to play character in Diablo 2, so don't be surprised if you can't make it. The only real things you can do are to aim frozen orb better so that it explodes on your target, rely more on freezing and dodge better.

>> No.5488509

>>5488490
sorc is literally the most popular and easier char to play, you don't even need equipment. The only issue ever are immunities later.

>> No.5488514

>>5485115
The only thing that's normal about that ES start is the hit rate and you will stop dealing with garbage hit rates before you're even done with the Den of Evil if you're playing literally any other class than Barbarian. Use the flasks it started you off with and you'll be fine.

>> No.5488525

>>5488509
Nah. She has by far the weakest utility skills in the game. She is fast and does high damage, but she dies easily if you don't know what you are doing, whereas every other character can just cast some utility skill that makes enemies worthless.

>> No.5488551

>>5488420
What about PlugY, since as far as I'm aware, all that does really is give you infinite stash?
Also, is there a mod that adds all of Diablo 1 to Diablo 2, and if not, why are all the D2 mods too fucking lazy to add it in as Act 0?

>> No.5488554

>>5488525
viatlity dump and some hp equipment

>> No.5488558

>>5488551
plugy adds infinite stash, ladder runewords on single player, and uber quests on single player

>> No.5488567

>>5488558
So that's the only mod worth using, right? Other than the one that adds Diablo 1, and that one that lets you play as Diablo or Baal, right?

>> No.5488571

>>5488551
>Also, is there a mod that adds all of Diablo 1 to Diablo 2,
Sort of. Back to Hellfire both is and isn't that.

>> No.5488579

>>5488567
yes, also forgot to say it allows you to redistribute your stats and skills whenever you want

>> No.5488582

>>5488579
You can choose to disable that as well as the uber bosses.

>> No.5488598

>find this thread exists
>see all the posts hating on mods
What the hell? Am I the only one here who loved and spent literal thousands of hours on various d2 mods? The most notable in my eyes were median 2008 later median XL, eastern sun, aftermath, back to hellfire and zy-el. Maybe I am the diehard fan and these mods were made for diehard fans but I didn't expect this kind of hate and general bias towards vanilla clod.

>> No.5488602

>>5488571
>>5488579
>>5488582
Thanks anons. Hope you all have a great week. :)

>> No.5488615

>>5488598
I only really enjoyed ES but I also disliked the base game.

>> No.5488657

>>5486480
Here's a thing about Diablo 2 - it is very well balanced. Hower the first playthrough is pretty easy and can be passed by pretty much any character. If you built it wrong you can grind 2 or 3 extra levels in an hour and overpower your opponents anyway.

If you do everything right however, then you dont have to grind for anything (not even exp) until you are about 85lvl and basically completed all difficulties, since any specialised equipment canbe supstituted for something with similar propertes that you've found. The gear listed in the build is for min-maxing purposes, showing you the absolute best it can ever be.

Further difficulty levels introduce resistances to enemies and add resistance penalty to you. This is where you have to actually think about the build, take care to actually have the ability to beat any opponent that might have resistance to your main element, and so on.
Highest difficulty levels can be passed only by characters that are somewhat competently built and can take on any threat.

The builds you see in the forums and such are tried and tested to guarantee they can pass any challenges game throws at them. You can use them as-is and be sure that you will have what it takes to push through all difficulties. Or you can use them as guidelines and build upon them - quite a few builds have leftover points for distribution as you see fit.

The greatness of Diablo 2 comes from how you can combine gear (especially skill-granting gear or runewords) and skills to come up with crazy solutions like a melee Zealot-Sorceress and such.

Another thing is you can "uplift" older gear up to the current difficulty level with Horadric cube to make it stay relevant, but can't make it owerpowered (like you can it shit like Torchlight)

>> No.5488732

>>5488471
>>5488142
>>5485462
The only area in the game I dislike is from the star of act 3 until you reach Lower Kurast, everything else is alright. Though maybe increase the width of the Maggot Lair tunnels.

>> No.5488786

>>5486480
>Is one expected to deck out on all this gear that might or might not drop hours into the game?

Yes. You ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO have 5+ facets (dbrunski dropped like 2 of them after 1000 duriel runs, and they weren't even the correct element), Infinity merc (or you won't be killing immunes), annihilus, hellfire torch, and 7 +skill grand charms, to even consider your character 'viable' LOL.

>> No.5489076

>>5487331
>Sorceress who can imbue magical effects on weapons similar to enchant but with a greater variety of magical damage

Launch DII again, make a zealotress build, thank me later.

I do want a scythe necro and crossbow pala tho

>> No.5489110

>>5488598
Most of the mods destroy what was good about the base game.

>> No.5489415

>still no good infinity base
>still no griffons

Why am I playing this shit again?

>> No.5489419

>>5489076
>and crossbow pala
Crossbow is suboptimal because Paladin attacks very slow with it, but Paladin with bows or throwing weapons should be fine using his elemental damage auras.
Well, at least until the last difficulty anyway.

>> No.5489519

>>5488567
>Other than the one that adds Diablo 1, and that one that lets you play as Diablo or Baal, right?
what mods is that? and can you use plugy with it?

>> No.5489597

So many people criticising d2... "paladins should only use scepters".... etc. Somebody even advising a newb to read a build order.
Heresy. So much heresy.
Game is meant to be played multiplayer. Play on battlenet. Singleplayer is so dull. Battlenet has been described as the wild west. People partying, helping, bartering, giving away, cheating, stealing, duelling, assassinating, etc. baal walks, baal runs, chaos runs, tomb raiding, cow runs, trist runs. "help with ancients" "help with meph" "rush for 4g" "just died. new char". Ah, those were the days...
I recommend going hardcore. You learn from mistakes, deaths are funnier, monsters are scarier, much more intense. People come into your games and try to kill you, so you become suspicious of others.
For builds, look at the classes, the skill trees, the mercs, and runewords, then think of a theme or a skillset to base the build on. They can be powerful, or they can just be fun.
Make a crazy build in hardcore and see how far you can go. When you find interesting or powerful items, save them and think of what other build might use them.
I've created:
>pacifist paladin who just heals others "HealingLeech"
>fanatic paladin in softcore who zealously charges into battle and would rather die than retreat "BlindFanatic"
>a melee/summon necro with skull helmet and scythe (ultimately found grim's burning dead) "GrimmTheRipper"
>mojomancer. pure curses necro. Could easily solo in nightmare using confuse and attract
>werewolf druid with wolf minions "EdgyWolfboy"
>max def "tank" barb "TankingDeadweight"
>pure charge pala. With mana steal, could chain charges to stunlock and kill everything except bosses.
>amazon with pike, valkyrie, and a2 merc to poke everything to death as a trio "PokingTrio"
>pure melee necro with no merc, no outside help, my favourite. Have to crowd control extensively and find good gear
etc.
So many builds I haven't gotten to try.

>> No.5489679

>>5489597
Online is dead though, and if you're new to the game you're far better off playing single player. There aren't enough people online that are new and only want to play and enjoy the game, most are grinding for lvl ups and gear. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but personally I like playing the game itself, building my character and going at my own pace. And plugy fixes a lot of the stuff that was wrong with vanilla single player.

>> No.5489691

>>5489415
>tfw found 3 eth threshers so far

>> No.5489812

>>5488371
>that crossbow that gives guided arrow as an oskill

I actually found Hellcast when playing Paladin which is what made me think "Man this is fun, it's a shame none of my combat skills tree has any real synergies with it."

>> No.5489948

>>5486663
But those character action games generally have superior control, level design, and encounter variety. Your raw skill and understanding of strategy is being challenged. While Diablo and other ARPGS focus on the metagame, optimizing builds and doing things "the right way" in terms of stats and equipment to alleviate any challenge from the "Action" or mechanical challenge. And even in games like Diablo that action component is underdeveloped compared to it's contemporaries.
A recent example of this difference is between Dark Souls and Sekiro. Both are built on the same engine and feature similar control/combat, but while Dark Souls expects you to minimize the challenge at any point by knowing the right gear and stats to focus on, allowing you to massively fuck yourself over, Sekiro strips down the RPG aspects to improve on the combat and enemy design and lets the player focus on actually playing the game and getting good with all of the tools given to you. Yes, you can twink your way through DS, but that's pretty much impossible on a first playthrough and you need to have wiki'd which weapons and routes are viable; Sekiro is much more doable and potentially much more rewarding to play blind.
I personally prefer games that minimize RPG components, as I always end up looking things up in shit like Diablo and Dark Souls because I've been burned by trying to blindly experiment before, ruining a playthrough from some arbitrarily hidden system or useless stats or the level design punishing certain builds. And looking at wikis and guides seem like the coward's path when in well designed action games you're already given the tools to succeed - you just need to learn how to use them.

>> No.5489982

>>5489110
And what exactly is that?

>> No.5490001

>>5488381
i was in the same position as you about a month ago.
just run ancient tunnels, mausoleum and hell andy runs until you're a higher lvl, like lv85.
also because you're in act 3 do lower kurast runs to try for some high runes.
Merc will always die a lot in Hell but getting armor like Smoke or Duress for him will help cut down his deaths. Get him good Life Leech and a good polearm like Obedience and it should help. Use Teleport to tard wrangle him a bit. You dont want your merc to do much more than just gather mobs in a blob for you to nuke down quickly before he dies. You cant let him just wander off on his own too much.

>> No.5490007
File: 47 KB, 394x580, 1366628500556.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5488732
yeah pretty much this. Maggot Lair is the "that dungeon" of the game.
i've started just buying staffs with teleport charges specifically for that dungeon now because fuck that level.

>> No.5490017
File: 63 KB, 483x88, 1368902692037.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5489415
i wish I had your problem
>have a ton of good infinity bases
>still never found a high rune
highest rune I've found is a Pul. Feels bad man.

>> No.5490026

Act 4 > Act 1 = Act 3 >>> Act 2 = Act 5
This is how I'd judge the acts based on how likely I am to quit. I never quit on act 4, rarely on act 1 or 3, and almost always on act 2 or 5, which are enormous slogs with repetitive enemy usage.

>> No.5490048

>>5490007
i find it ok but annoying because of how narrow it is. But honestly act 3 is the place i just wish i had teleport.

>> No.5490057

I don't like Diablo 2 because it's isometric, but I love the formula. What are some games that have the same formula, but in a different playstyle, such as a first person shooter, or hack and slash? Obviously retro games, I've played pretty much every modern take.

>> No.5490081

>>5490057
might and magic games, ultima underworld maybe

>> No.5490221

>>5490017
Do LK runs til your brain falls out.

>> No.5490273

>>5488490
Then what build is the best for solo hell? Preferably one that isn't equipment dependent.
>>5488509
Then I dunno what I'm doing wrong here. I got to the high council and it took me awhile to kill all of those guys. I doubt i could kill diablo.

>> No.5490290

>>5490273
>Then what build is the best for solo hell?
Sorc is better than every other class for most content.

>> No.5490315

>>5481875
For me, it was the diversity of builds. I'm not into the whole item roulette skinner box scene. I would try a build until I got bored with it and then started a new character. I rarely ever bothered with Hell mode, as I got too bored with a character to grind the loot for it.

>> No.5490341

>>5490057
>I don't like Diablo 2 because it's isometric

Zoom zoom

>> No.5490343

>>5490341
Diablo Immortal in a nutshell...

>> No.5490353

>>5490273
>Then what build is the best for solo hell?

>amazon
Lightning fury slaughters anything that isn't lightning immune and your mercenary and valkyrie can slaughter anything else. Valkyrie can solo the entire game.
>assassin
Cloak of shadows and traps is stupidly safe and easy
>barbarian
War cry, howl and taunt is the most broken combination in the game for cheap builds. If you cheat by using ladder runewords, then it becomes even more busted since you get dual spirits and insight.
>paladin
Blessed hammers obviously. No immunities, overpowered blocking, conversion if you want to be cheeky. There are only two enemies in the entire game that are immune to your attack on 1.13+, one of them barely spawns and the other is in an optional area.
>necromancer
Dim vision, attract, amplify damage, decrepify, corpse explosion. Even a poison dagger build is 100% viable and easy.
>druid
Wind druid. No immune issues and you have oak sage.

All of these are far easier than playing a sorceress. A sorceress has to worry about immunes and about dying, which isn't a real threat to any other character thanks to summons, blinds, converts and other abusable skills.

>> No.5490379

>>5490341
No, I just don't find that camera angle appealing. Sorry that not everyone likes the same games as you /v/ fag.

>> No.5490395

>>5490353
not the same anon but I usually run around with a nova sorc and aside from immunities it's pretty fun.
teleport, mana shield and mana regen. if something can chip through my regen, then it's too tough to kill. everything else I just spam nova.

>> No.5490515

>>5490273
Summonmancer doesn't need any gear. Can just wear magic find in every slot.
Just position yourself behind your wall of skeletons, get an Act 2 merc with a good aura (I like Might to boost skele dmg), use Edge runeword to put thorns aura on your army of darkness and away you go.
The second the first mob dies just light up the screen with Corpse Explosion.
Put 1 point into iron maiden so you can cheese bosses.
Go clay golem, max him out so his slow on hit is good.
Give your merc a good polearm like Obedience. +slow polearms like Woestave (there's one that's +75% slow but i forget it's name) pair really well with a Clay Golem. You can have Baal/Diablo and bosses basically standing still they're attacking so slowly.

Hammerdin is another good one. It sucks in cramped spaces though.
Wind druid is another good one
Javazon is good too, because it kills so fucking quick.
Trapsin (never made a sin myself but I heard they're good)

Avoid melee builds if you can because they're slow.

>> No.5490597

>>5490353
>Lightning fury slaughters anything that isn't lightning immune and your mercenary and valkyrie can slaughter anything else. Valkyrie can solo the entire game.

not on hell difficulty.

I play a hybrid poison/lightning javazon. No valkyrie, but plague javelin kills lightning immune mobs in chaos sanctuary in one hit, fury still clears everything else, even with 40 points shifted to poison.

>> No.5490610

>>5490515

smiter is silly good, because his "attack" isn't classified as an attack, and scales insanely well with fast weapons. Pretty much the only item you *need* for it is dracul's grasp, for that life tap cast, because life leech doesn't work with smite.

>> No.5490671

>>5490610
yeah, i still dont have dracul's grasp. the only thing I'm waiting on before I make a smiter.
just started making my first trap assassin. fun so far

>> No.5491579

>>5490290
No it isn't, I dunno why you keep saying this

>> No.5491583

>>5490515
redpill me on wind druid

>> No.5491940

Hey Guys how do I get Diablo 2 + expansion and play it without giving Blizzard money

>> No.5491945

>>5491940
https://www.reddit.com/r/slashdiablo/wiki/index/setup

>> No.5491957

>>5491945

do i have to play multiplayer and what happened in 1.14? THey don't have it

>> No.5491962

>>5491957
follow instructs if you want multiplayer
otherwise don't and patch up whatever, google up some keys

>> No.5492002

>>5488509
>sorc is literally the most popular and easier char to play, you don't even need equipment
Uh, yes you do? There is no way you can solo hell with a Sorc without good gear. You can MF in hell with crap gear but that's pretty much it. You look at any guide that seems you can solo hell with a sorc, and they almost all recommend high end gear where you end up with like +10 skill and maxed resists.

>> No.5492026

Reminder that ARPG is a buzzword. RPGs are a sub-genre of strategy. You can't have an action focused RPG. Diablo is just a really, really, REALLY bad action game.

>> No.5492037

>>5492026
RPG is a buzzword, kid.

>> No.5492043

>>5492037
Doesn't invalidate what i said. If you spend less than a fraction of a percent of you game time making decisions and spend most of your time physically reacting to things on screen (albeit in a very simple and repetitive manner) then its an action game. Diablo is a bad action game. It has no redeeming qualities.

>> No.5492047

>>5492043
No one care about your personal definition for a genre, bud.

>> No.5492113
File: 19 KB, 435x435, 1490356182100.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5492047
There isn't anything personal about it. There is only so many ways to present gameplay. Does Diablo have good physical challenge? No. Does Diablo have good decision making? No. Does Diablo have good exploration? No. Its just fulfills that neanderthal hunting and gathering urge. It doesn't have good gameplay. Its monkey-tier.

>> No.5492218

>>5491583
it's spells do both cold and physical damage so you have almost no problems with immunes.
bear is the tankiest summon in the game, has like 10k HP or something retarded

>> No.5492561

>>5490353
Thanks for the advice. I may wipe my PC soon so when I start the game fresh, I may either do a wind druid or hammerdin. The sorc is just way too grindy and tedious on hell. But hopefully i can get decent gear for the sorc at some point and try it again.

>> No.5492574

>>5492561
not him but I say make a bliz sorc and use it to farm NM Andy, Countess & Meph. Make sure you Quest Bug Andariel so her drop rates are way higher.
Should be able to get a sorc to NM Act 3 in only a couple of hours with basic gear no problems. First 4slot polearm you get slap Insight runeword into it (you can always larzuk quest a drop from Cows i believe).
That should get you some good gear quickly for taking a Hammerdin or Wind Druid straight through hell.
Then use the Druid/Hammerdin to farm Hell stuff (Tunnels, Mausoleum, the Pit, Pindle, Baal etc)

>> No.5492589

>>5492574
How high should my MF be? The highest I've gotten it at the moment is 293%, and I've gotten some neat stuff out of hell andy and meph. NM meph is nice and all but I kinda feel like it's a waste of time, I'd rather just get to hell and try my luck there. I may even do a bowazon because those look like fun.

>> No.5492858 [DELETED] 

>>5492589
MF gives diminishing returns. The difference between 200% MF and 1000% MF is only twice as much.
I say get 100% MF as soon as you can on a new ladder/reset/plugy account, maybe sit at 200 once you're comfortable.
You need to keep in mind clear speed vs MF too. If it's taking you twice as long to do a Meph run with more MF gear on then it's probably not worth it.
MrLlama and Dbrunski have a whole bunch of videos/tutorials on it.

As for the rest of your post, it honestly depends on whether you're gunna wipe your PC or not. If you're not then just keep running Hell Andy/Meph.
If you're starting fresh best thing you can do is rush to NM to get gear to be able to go through hell.
But that's just my take on it. End of the day you can do whatever you want that's fun for you.

>bowazon
Yeah i've been slowly building up some gear for one. No endgame GG drops yet but it looks fun as fuck. Just gunna feel really slow for me cuz I used to always play shitty bowazons when I was a teenager/newb and only recently when I got back into D2 I did a Javazon. Javazon's clear speed is absolutely nuts. If I had an Infinity runeword it'd be my hands-down favorite character.

>> No.5492859
File: 31 KB, 394x556, 1366628137735.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5492589
MF gives diminishing returns. The difference between 200% MF and 1000% MF is only twice as much unique drops.
I say get 100% MF as soon as you can on a new ladder/reset/plugy account, maybe sit at 200 once you're comfortable.
You need to keep in mind clear speed vs MF too. If it's taking you twice as long to do a Meph run with more MF gear on then it's probably not worth it.
With clear speed in mind, I reckon manually adjust pieces of gear so you're still clearing the runs as fast as possible while wearing the most MF.
MrLlama and Dbrunski have a whole bunch of videos/tutorials on it. Definitely worth checking out.

As for the rest of your post, it honestly depends on whether you're gunna wipe your PC or not. If you're not then just keep running Hell Andy/Meph.
If you're starting fresh best thing you can do is rush to NM to get gear to be able to go through hell.
But that's just my take on it. End of the day you can do whatever you want that's fun for you.
I tried the whole endless Meph/Baal runs thing for gear and while I got some good pieces it just burnt me out so hard.
I made the switch to just doing Mausoleum/Pit/Tunnels instead to farm exp while MFing and it's been much more enjoyable.

>bowazon
Yeah i've been slowly building up some gear for one. No endgame GG drops yet but it looks fun as fuck. Just gunna feel really slow for me cuz I used to always play shitty bowazons when I was a teenager/newb and only recently when I got back into D2 I did a Javazon. Javazon's clear speed is absolutely nuts. If I had an Infinity runeword it'd be my hands-down favorite character.

>> No.5492861

>>5492859
oh also consider playing with /players 3 or 5 to increase drops if you're singleplayer. It'll help a lot, especially the jump from players 1 to 3.
Just keep in mind how much more the extra mob HP might slow you down though.

>> No.5492909
File: 1.11 MB, 1920x1080, zQZqZmu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5485673
Examples of this? Or are these giga-rare just proc gen stuff?

>> No.5494150

>>5492909
probably just drop rates on some items are incredibly low
though you can get some insanely good Magic items, like +40%IAS +6skill javelins or caster/blood items.

>> No.5494456
File: 118 KB, 1100x619, 151105134120-listen-to-me-marlon-18-super-169.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey guys who post insightful things about game design, Diablo and otherwise, ITT, especially the longform posts

I personally appreciate the knowledge being dropped

>> No.5494470

>>5494456
and who might you be?

>> No.5494471
File: 141 KB, 334x299, 1551916317136.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5489419
>Well, at least until the last difficulty anyway.
>he doesn't use a faith Act 1 merc with his aura-crossbowdin to clear hell

>> No.5495149

To this day I still keep discovering new things. Im playing like 15 years. For example just discovered that if you playing as assassin boots have damage stat... It's small thing, but I never noticed that, yet played few assassins in my career.

>> No.5495172

>>5495149
Did you know that Guided Arrow will prioritize elites and champions if you shift-fire? Most people don't. Really helps with those Baal waves.

>> No.5495592

>>5495149
did you know assassins dont need keys to open locked chests

>> No.5495696

>>5495592
>did you know assassins dont need keys to open locked chests
What the fuck? Really?

>> No.5495703

>>5495149
Potions stack- their duration, not effects. So quaff a bunch of antidotes before andariel and a bunch of antifreeze before duriel.
While you're buying more than one potion, double clicking to buy is faster than right clicking.
I haven't seen this yet, but I read recently that the statues on the approach to chaos sanctuary turn their heads as you pass them.

>> No.5496313

>>5481875
I played Druid and got fed up at the desert after the weird sun stuff started happening. Couldn't figure out where to go, messed up my build by not specialising and just said fuck it. May try again someday

>> No.5496321

>>5486353
PoE isn't remotely similar wtf
It's more like old Fallout or Baldurs Gate, specifically NOT about loot and more about quests

>> No.5496360

>>5495703
I thought antifreeze didn't do anything for Duriel because the aura wasn't truly cold damage, but just damage + slow?

>No water potions to give you fire resist.

>> No.5496685

>>5487348
Awesome runeword and tat
Is it yours?

>> No.5496693

>>5496685
nah, if I got a runeword it'd be something less fedora like Infinity

>> No.5497136

>>5496313
When you trigger that sun stuff by entering the Lost City you simply need to find the path to the next area called the Valley of Snakes and then enter the Claw Viper Temple in that area. Depending on how long ago you played it might have not been possible back then but completing the very first quest awards you with the option to reset your stats and skills once. You get that once for each difficulty.

>>5496321
Path of Exile not Pillars of Eternity. The former came first, it's the actual PoE.

>> No.5497139

>>5495703
>I haven't seen this yet, but I read recently that the statues on the approach to chaos sanctuary turn their heads as you pass them.
Also i like how Hadriel stands there in middle of hell like it's no big deal. Overall angels are so much better presented in d2 - less is more. There is three of them and Tyrael is so badass, especially in the finale.
>>5496360
It's literally paladin holy freeze aura.

>> No.5497140

>>5497136
Is PoE worth playing? I'm thinking about giving it a try more and more nowadays.

>> No.5497148

>>5497140
I've played it way way too much but it's not really a game I can easily recommend. It's rather difficult to pick up unless you have someone to answer your endless stupid questions and prevent you from doing stupid shit you don't even know is stupid. It's a game where you might have troubles finishing the 10 act story if you're new but once you understand even a bit it becomes a lot easier. If you really liked Diablo 2 then you'll probably like PoE.

I have a lot of varied opinions about the game yet I still go back to it with each new league every 3 months and play a hundred hours at least.

>> No.5497150

>>5497148
Sounds good, I'll check it out. The only thing i'm wondering is can you play the game solo? I'm not really into multi-player games.

>> No.5497156

>>5497150
sure can. There's even specific "self-found" only characters.

>> No.5497158

>>5497156
Thanks, once I have some downtime I'll give it a try

>> No.5497160

>>5497150
Yeah most people play solo. It's just online only. There's even a specific league option called SSF (solo self found) where you can't trade or party with people so that people in that playstyle can have their own ladder. You should also always really only play in the newest league because that's where the newest content is. I also wouldn't recommend hardcore for a new player. Even if you don't play SSF you can simply not party with people, it's totally normal. It just leaves you with the option to trade so it's easier to make currency and get some specific uniques you might be after.

>> No.5497162

>>5497160
I'm heading off to bed, but any characters you'd recommend for a first play through?

>> No.5497170
File: 979 KB, 672x787, 1537341911734.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Main issue I have with poe is that it gets far too 'mash one button' over and over again that nukes the whole screen. It's one of the areas it still doesn't beat d2 in.

Though I did at one point have the beginnings of a build that uses self firing turrets to kill everything, anyone know if it's still possible to play like that? cause I might jump back in at some point.

>> No.5497172

>>5497162
Spell casters are easier than ranged or melee attackers because spells scale with skill gem levels instead of weapon damage. This latest patch 3.6 that came out a month ago also did a lot of spell related reworks and balance so most spells in general are in a good place. Your basic spell caster characters would be Witch(Elementalist) and Templar(Inquisitor) but the latter is more crit focused.

>>5497170
>it gets far too 'mash one button' over and over again that nukes the whole screen
Definitely an issue in some builds but there's been a push from the developers to add more and better support abilities in the game.

>turrets
In game they're called Totems and they're still a very good choice. Templar(Hierophant) would be the go to class for those.

>> No.5497193

>>5497172
>Templar(Hierophant)
Cheers. I'll re-install the game tonight i think. This was the skill I was talking about: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Siege_Ballista

I really love builds that use these kind of things, in D3 there was a class set that gave the demon hunters turrets the ability to self fire other class skills. Was right up my alley, then they changed it to only when you fire, sucking literally all the fun out of it.

>> No.5497208 [DELETED] 

>>5497193
>in D3 there was a class set that gave the demon hunters turrets the ability to self fire other class skills
What? Never heard of this and im day 1 player (not avid dh player though, so I maybe missed this, like I did unkillable minions mob affix).

>> No.5497210

>>5497208
Yeah the Marauder(?) set used to just auto fire things like Cluster Arrow, Multishot etc while you were free to do whatever you want as the DH.

>> No.5497217 [DELETED] 

>>5497210
Yeah, but you said "OTHER class skills".

>> No.5497219

>>5497217
Yes I meant other skills of your class, not other classES skills.

>> No.5497259

>not Throne of Darkness

>> No.5497923

singleplayer nerds deserve to get wedgies

>> No.5497948

>>5497139
>Tyrael
I loved his telepathic message to Marius during his fight against the wanderer.
He was such an awesome character- a mysterious and powerful, yet benevolent, maverick lonewolf angel of justice trying to fix the world. Unfortunately, d3 ruined him by basically making him into a different person.
In a way, d2 is Tyrael's story.

Another trivia- healing from prayer and synergized meditation stack. So you can give insight to your prayer merc for double the healing.

>> No.5498609

>>5497948
Prayer and Meditation also stack with themselves if they are of the same level. So you could have something like 1500 life regeneration every 2 seconds if you made a team of paladins.

>> No.5499286

>>5489519
>>5488567
Can anyone please answer this fucking shit?

>> No.5499303
File: 545 KB, 222x330, 1510304866405.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5499286
For gods sake, it's just bullshit. Why would you actually WANT those things?

>> No.5499306

>>5499303
Then why isnt that faggot banned?

>> No.5499320

>>5499306
cause this is /vr/. It barely gets over 1000 posts per day. Mods almost don't exist here. It's also nothing worth him being banned over.

>> No.5499347 [DELETED] 

>>5499286
>mod that adds in Diablo 1
Back to Hellfire.
>play as Diablo or Baal
This is so trivial you could mod it in yourself in 5 minutes.

>> No.5499357

>>5499286
>mod that adds Diablo 1
Back to Hellfire kind of does this, but it adds in more characters and more levels, and has acts.
>play as Diablo or Baal
There are at least three mods that do this. If you just want to play as Diablo or Baal, then you'll need to learn to mod. I can teach you the basics if you actually care, it takes almost no effort.
>So that's the only mod worth using, right?
There are tons of good mods, it just depends on what you want out of the game. My personal favorite is Nezeramontias, since it gives you a good reason to farm every monster.

>> No.5499363

>>5499357
>then you'll need to learn to mod.
Just hero editor a charm that changes appearance on equip. No mods required.

>> No.5499380

>>5499357
>Nezeramontias
Never heard of that one before and I've tried dozens of mods. Looks quite interesting, especially the sheer amount of misc items and the 'soul' stuff. Gonna give it a go.

>> No.5499383

>>5499380
>>5499357
What's the best way to play it? 1.10? Or has it been brought forward to 1.13? I'd like to use plugy with such a big mod.

>> No.5499397

>>5499363
That is the lame way to do it. It would be much more fun to give yourself the state change and the corresponding skills (e.g. Diablo's fire nova or Baal's frost wave).

>>5499383
It is for 1.10f, which supports PlugY, as does just about every other version of Diablo 2.

>> No.5499490
File: 14 KB, 500x500, 1499787674301.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5499357
>Nezeramontias
>unironically over 500 enemies in the den of evil
>stamina bar drains in less than five seconds, despite pumping vit
Why in gods name do all mod makers suck so fucking hard at making early game enticing? Like do they do it on purpose to try to convince people to stop playing? It's so fucking retarded.

>> No.5499509

>>5490017
You absolutely have no idea what a good infinity base is, and don't have a single one, if highest rune you've found is pul. Stop lying on the internet, it doesn't make you cool at all.

>> No.5499525

>>5497259
Maybe i'm totally misremembering but wasn't that made by several of the original Diablo devs?

I recall it feeling very similar in a lot of ways.

>> No.5499534

>>5499490
Though saying that, it seems quite well done with a lot of fun things added.

>> No.5499537

>>5499490
The stamina is pretty bad. You pretty much have to chug stamina potions, although the bigger inventory alleviates that issue a bit. As for the Den of Evil, you don't have to do it right off the bat. A skill point doesn't mean anything for a barbarian early on (or at least I am assuming you are playing a barbarian, since he is the only character without any early area of effect).

>> No.5499540

>>5499537
Bowzon actually and yeah I cleared the whole thing, but the quest never gave the "5 monsters remaining" popup and I coulnd't finish it. I must have ran through the whole cave 10 times and there wasn't a single monster left. Fuck it though, I'll come back when I've got strafe or multishot and try again.

These souls are really quite fun, so fucking tempting to farm some of them.

>> No.5499557

>>5490315
best loot comes in hell tho

>> No.5499603

>>5481875
I like them for different reasons. With D1 it felt more like an immersive dungeon crawl, with games like D2/Grim Dawn it's more about the long term planning and working with what you loot along the way for me. Like immersion versus mechanical engagement.

If you're looking for something that 'feels' more like D1 then i'd highly suggest Throne of Darkness.

>> No.5500179

>>5490671
>>5490610

With crushing blow you can be a 1 point smiter too. This is the more popular variant for running the ubers. Zeal the mobs and smite the ubers.

Still need dracs tho, and a life tap wand for the approach.

>> No.5501092

Why did they have to make charge-up skills so clunky? They are so god damn bad to use.

>> No.5501139

>>5499509
I'm not lying.
I've had absolutely terrible luck with runes and I'm not autistic enough to do thousands of Lower Kurast runs.
I've also been playing since the game came out and only ever found 1 SoJ. Shit just never drops for me.
Only got my first Vipermaji and Chance Guards a few months back (they both rolled lowest possible stats).
I dont sink 18h a day into the game, it's my "i'm bored/drunk and want to left click cunts for 30min" game.

>> No.5501154

Diablo2 is a game that changed so much over the years. The expansion changed it a lot. Even synergies weren't there when lod was released. Shit was simpler in classic. Could only socket with gems, mercs had no equips and I don't think you could even use them in different acts, no ethereal items, no charms and definitely way way less sets and uniques in general. Skeletons were one of the most useless shit for necros and you could have 40+ of them. Revive was the necro's main skill. For those who want something closer to d1 a fresh new d2 install is the way to go but even so it is still very different

>> No.5502141

>>5485893
>Also, if you ever need documentation or a link to a mod, I can probably find it. I've been collecting hundreds of them.
I've seen some screencaps of a mod that made DII into a cityscape but it seems to be lost, you wouldn't have it by any chance would you?

>> No.5502636

>>5481875
I really enjoying playing all the various aspects of the game but what I really like is PvP. It will keep me playing for a long time. also, when you use d2jsp the game is overall more enjoyable. Try leveling as PnB on your necro. Just use a Clay Golem and Dim Vision. Golem tanks, mobs cant see, bone prison anything dangerous, kill a few then Corse Explosion spam. When you've played for a long time you know all the ins and outs and the experiments really never end. I still see new interesting PvP specs.

>> No.5502682

why the paladin is a negro?

>> No.5502901

>>5486353
>make 3 dif chars to beat the game
there's skill/stat resets you absolute turbo tard

>> No.5503029

>>5481875
Some games are just pleb crack. Today it's Fortnite.

>> No.5503090

Its just a super comfy game. Its almost perfect for what it is. Top notch RPG .

>> No.5503163

Shit game.
I haven't logged on battle.net for few months and they deleted all my characters.

>> No.5503375

I need to find better gear, so I can find better gear....Gets weird once that kicks in.

>> No.5503382
File: 87 KB, 540x546, 1544639169034.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5503163
>playing online

>> No.5503507

>>5490597
what the hell, are you playing a mod? I played plague javelin it fucking sucked, poison takes so long to kill stuff even on late nightmare

>> No.5503510

>>5492589
293 is more than enough. you will find many people that make sets with like 600% mf, but in most cases, especially if you're playing single player, you're way better off statistically with a 200ish mf and good kill speed.

>> No.5503708

>>5503507
I think it got buffed at some point

>> No.5503712
File: 112 KB, 1386x1611, hhhhh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5503382
>playing offline

>> No.5504005

>>5499397
You can also use hero editor to create a charm that gives you boss skills

>> No.5504032

>>5504005
And then what, are you going to replace the charm every time you level up? Are you going to make 20 charms, each to represent a level in the skill? Using a charm for everything is needlessly clunky when you can mod the skills into the game, give them to a character, give them mana costs and damage scaling with levels, all within around 5 minutes of work.

>> No.5504039

>>5503712
in what fucking planet are you living in, all normies do now is multiplayer

>> No.5504042

>>5504032
is there any software to help on this?

>> No.5504082

>>5504042
>download winmpq
>download AFJ sheet editor
>open the patch_d2.mpq of the Diablo 2 version you want to mod
>extract the data folder
>use AFJ sheet editor to go into data/global/excel
>find the .txt file that corresponds with what you want to change (in this case, skills.txt)
>ctrl+f for the properties of the skill you want to change
>ctrl+f for the skill you want to change
>change values
>go to missiles.txt as well if you want to be fancy and make the missiles that correspond to the skills do new stuff
You can also find guides online for each txt file, telling you exactly what each column does. Just know that the game wants every character to have the exact same number of skills (everyone has 60 different skills is fine, everyone has 30 except for one character that has 31 explodes the game). So if you are going to give some new skills to a character, just add in some fake junk skills so that the number of skills is kept even, or copy and paste over some other skills (starting from the srvstfunc column, the columns before those are needed for the given character).

>> No.5504404

>>5503507
>what the hell, are you playing a mod?

nope.

And my gear isn't even good, but 32 points in plague/poison javelin (20 base, +4 tits +3 gloves +2 armor +1 amulet +1helmet +1shield), I get 24k damage per cast, and those lightning-immune storm casters in chaos sanctuary die in one cast.

You are missing out on LF, and CS damage (especially CS, but D dies in seconds even with 38 points fewer in synergies).

Still annoying as fuck to do Baal, since burning souls are double immune.

>> No.5504623

>>5504039
totally wrong, the advent of speedrunning and "collect them all" pluggy has gotten all normies to play singleplayer

>> No.5504928

>>5504623
normies never played diablo 2 for too long (past normal difficulty), nor care to. Step outside 4chan once ffs. Normies aren't even aware of what speedrunning is.

>> No.5504950

>>5504928
how does not making past normal difficulty = online?
online is where you will find the only challenge the game has to offer (pvp). deny it so I can laugh

>> No.5505009

>>5504950
I wasn't talking strictly about d2, but i guess it's my fault for not being clear.

>> No.5505081

>>5504928
how about you step outside 4chan, fucker
99% of posts here are singleplayer https://reddit.com/r/diablo2

>> No.5505085

>>5505081
and the twitch scene is entirely speed running, or path of diablo

>> No.5505153

I just want to play with 1920x1080 resolution without mess the game. Is it possible?

>> No.5505190

>>5505153
Either use Multires or just toughen the fuck up.

>> No.5505298

what are Rals used for aside from creating sockets?
they're too high in demand to just be for sockets...

>> No.5505623

>>5505153
use D2SE, run in windowed mode and just expand the window.

>>5505298
Socketing and also making Caster Amulets.
You need to make dozens of the fuckers to maybe get a decent roll on stats.

>> No.5505734

>>5494150

drop rates are so low on a few items you could play for 20 years and not see them

>> No.5505757

>>5505734
not even with 1000% mf?

>> No.5505816

>>5505734
Bullshit. I did the grail with a fucking bowzon and it only took me about 3 years on and off. Including all runewords.

>> No.5505840
File: 160 KB, 737x750, LoD vs DIII.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5505850
File: 11 KB, 645x773, 1554153276218.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5505840
>wasting a ber like that

>> No.5505889
File: 488 KB, 800x600, Screenshot110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5487341
>>5487345
also been thinking about it for a real long time. grief or heart of the oak on one arm, exile or spirit on the other.
or the zakarum shield emblem

>> No.5505920
File: 521 KB, 800x600, steelclashbug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5501154
replayed D2 vanilla a handful of years back, was pleased to find this on my pally... it did indeed boost sorc skills

>> No.5505927

>>5505850
i had enough Bers to toss around

>> No.5506016
File: 28 KB, 499x481, de15df26e9bf61c4f5672a08dc60a50b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>playing Diablo 2
>some jabroni asks if they can add me as a friend
>yeah sure whatever
>they don't get off my dick
Diablo 3 doesn't feel like a Diablo game. It's all bright and smooth instead of dark and gritty. Glad I never paid for it.

>> No.5506379
File: 49 KB, 792x612, Magic-find-diminishing-returns.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5505757
1000% MF only doubles your drop chance of uniques over having around 170% MF.
Not to mention you just have to get lucky on the dice roll of what TYPE of item drops too.

>> No.5506380

>>5505850
you can just open heroeditor and spawn yourself as many Bers as you want for your dank memes

>> No.5506597

>>5506380
It was probably Open Battlenet. There's some permanent "game" that has vendors with every type of endgame item

>> No.5506875

Notre Dame Cathedral Fire set to Diablo 2 Soundtrack

https://youtu.be/SjAMkaDQlv8

>> No.5506942

This thread made me play again. Single player, so I don't have to worry about ladder ending before I'm done with the character.
Playing golemancer. No mercs allowed (they kill way too quickly compared to golem), nec is allowed to use crossbow.
Golem is surprisingly strong, especially with +golem wand and totem. Got iron maiden to make up for no aoe, but doesn't seem that effective.

>> No.5506973

>>5506942
Must be so slow starting off with the clay golem. I've never tried the golemancer before, but have heard people talking about it for years. I'd be too scared of giving the iron golem a good weapon and having him de-spawn.

>> No.5507158

>>5506973
I'm not that far in. Only lvl14 and just beat andariel so far. Like I said, it was surprisingly fast. I admit it would have been much slower without the crossbow help. I feel like the crossbow did around 2/3 of the total damage, with the clay golem doing the remaining third. lvl10 clay golem hits hard in act 1 normal.
I'm not going to stress out too much over iron golem. Obviously I won't run off while it's stuck, and maybe I'll tp or quit when it's about to die. I'm thinking about healing options, like charges, runewords, lifetap. I'll definitely get lifetap. But tping to heal golem isn't too crazy.
Until I get really good gear though, I'll have fun making golem out of various uniques I won't use, and won't sweat when it dies. I already found and saved Axe of Fechmar.

>> No.5507887

Any maphacks that work with 1.13?

>> No.5507904

>>5506016
That is exactly why I stopped playing online. Too many annoying people that ruined the experience for me when all I wanted to do was play the fucking game itself. I find single far more enjoyable.

>> No.5508246

Let's make a mod together since apparently all of the other Diablo 2 mods are trash. What shall be added to it first? I will progressively update and upload it as needed.

>> No.5508272
File: 122 KB, 640x812, 1553408322543.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5508246
I'm gonna dump a bunch of stuff randomly that I can think of, am slightly drunk right now, so tkae it with a bit of salt. I'll also only talk about the classes I really play. Feel free to chime in with what you guys think would be best for the others.

>All bows need a base damage buff and or magic/rare/unique quivers. The entire physical bow skill tree needs a direct damage buff, as well as immolation arrow.
>Tier 3 unique bows need to be changed to be competitive with Windforce/Faith.
>Enigma is too powerful, but that stems from the sorc TP skill being too powerful. Either it needs a few second skill cooldown or to be removed from the game entirely. Could replace the skill on the runeword with something like charge, or more MF or or movespeed.
>Give every character unlimited stamina from the start, or just remove it entirely
>corpse explosion is too powerful and the minions are too weak. Nerf and buff. Golems especially need a buff to damage.
>teeth, bone spirit, bone spear need a damage buff, especially teeth early on
>all the necro poison skills need the length to do damage reduced, but keep the damage the same/buff a little
>sorc skills need a re-touch. Firewall, hydra, t-storm, both novas and frozen orb need better damage.
>dozens of runewords can easily be changed to compete with the current best ones. Attack/cast speed, raw damage, + skills could make them good. There's so many runewords that are almost useful.
>M'avina's Battle Hymn, more specifically the bow, needs +raw damage. Would actually make the set useful. It's easily the worst of the top tier class sets.
>you could make so many of the 'meh' uniques good with just a few slight tweaks.
>every merc that isn't from act 2 needs a change to make them useful. Giving them all different auras seems the easiest option.
>mod the rare item affix pool to give stats that are more easily competitive with uniques. Mostly just increase the max and min ranges on enhanced damage, resistances etc etc

1/?

>> No.5508280
File: 184 KB, 750x732, Untitled-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5508272
>all tomes, arrows/bolts to have their stack increased
>all the "gives 9/9 charges of ice bolt" type of affixes need to have the charge number increased like tenfold. Completely useless at the moment.
>druid ravens should scale better at high levels damage wise
>that applies to a lot of the 'starter' skills e.g. Bash, Psychic Hammer, jab, sacrifice etc
>the entire amazon spear tree needs a buff apart from the lightning skills. The physical ones really need to be better.
>grim ward and find potion are useless. Grim ward should apply decrepifiy or weaken, find potion could give something like innate magic find per level or make it always give rejuv pots instead
>barbs increased stamina skill is crap, make it give block chance or two handed mastery etc
>make necro revives permanent, or at least last much longer
>pallys conversion skill should give the converted a huge damage boost
>leap attack needs much more damage for the effort required to use it
>make guided arrow pierce again
>iron maiden needs to do much more damage

2/? will probably drop more when I can think clearly. pics unrelated.

>> No.5508293
File: 1.35 MB, 1560x548, 123125.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5508280
>remove the tomb vipers in nilathaks level 3. Absolutely retarded damage.
>Giving most of the barb skills +raw damage would really help the early game. Not too much, just enough to make normal duriel and the like not asscancer to start off against.
>controversial, but remove the mana each class gains per level. Makes items with the stat more useful and forces the player to actually invest into the stat at least a bit.
>make scythes necro focused. No one ever uses them anyway. Give them large bonuses to +skills
>crossbows need more damage to outweigh the lower attack speed versus bows, no idea what blizz was thinking with them. Either that or re-tool them entirely to instead work with pally/necro. Wouldn't require too much desu
>remove throwing potions. Pointless things and would require too much work to really make useful beyond the blood moor.
>make the pallys holy bolt and fist of heavens do damage to everything
>confuse, attract need to boost damage taken or something similar
>I don't know if it's possible, but making more areas level 85 would be nice for breaking up the farming monotony
>could probably change a lot of the class sets, as most aren't that great. Even some of the non-class ones like Sazabis, Orphans, The Disciple, sanders could be given fun uses, like off class skills or just straight stat buffs. They're mostly useless as is right now.
>make diablos monster level 99, so he's worth farming instead of resetting after clearing chaos
>Blaze, inferno and arctic blast need buffs. Completely useless. As are the druid creepers and spirit of barbs.
>Isual needs to do more damage. I don't think anyone dies to him that much. Maybe give him fanaticism
>similar with Baal in hell. Take his TP skill away and make him actually do damage to the player.

>> No.5508303
File: 42 KB, 640x427, 1517611835887.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5508293
>make diablo2 lightning stay closer to him, so melee characters don't get a free pass
>stats like replenish life per second need a buff
>give the tier 5 gems a stat increase, at least make them somewhat of an option compared to runes
>make every act boss always do a quest drop. Fucking retarded when you kill Diablo and a stack of arrows, an antidote potion and a blue dagger fall out
>a lot of the bows and amazon gear in general need some MF%, she's the worst build for magic finding for this reason.
>druid wolves should actually do damage beyond normal without ludicrous investment
>auto gold pickup

>remove the gem cost from rune upgrading
>kill the cow king as many times as you want

4/?

>> No.5508304

>>5508272
Teeth's damage is fine, but it needs to be made like Charged Bolt where multiple teeth can damage the same target.
As it stands in vanilla only one tooth deals damage per target, whereas multiple Charged bolt bolts can all hit and damage a single target.

>> No.5508306

>>5508293
>>I don't know if it's possible, but making more areas level 85 would be nice for breaking up the farming monotony
This. There are so many lv83 areas that basically get ignored because of this. Crypt, all of the hell areas in Act 5, a lot of the dungeons in Hell.

>> No.5508378

>>5508272
>>5508280
>>5508293
>>5508303
Wew lad, this is going to take a while to implement. I'm barely halfway through the first post.

>>5508304
I'd imagine that is partly because charged bolt is a pain to use at long ranges and doesn't really let the player choose how wide or narrow the cone is. Teeth will do a whopping 24 times damage with no nextdelay against big targets (e.g. act bosses), which is a pretty intense buff.

>> No.5508380

>>5508378
Ya don't have to do all of it, mate, they're just suggestions off the top of my head...though there's probably dozens of other little things people could add.

>> No.5509392

Some great ideas here.

>> No.5509434

omfg. u fkn nubz. fk. fk. fk. x.O
..but im glad 2 have u. hope 2 c more on East Ladder (best server)

>> No.5510073

>>5509434
You ok kiddo? Looks like you may have had a stroke

>> No.5510286

>>5510073
yeah. but I was drunk when I posted that and now I feel embarrassed and gay.

>> No.5510307

Is it considered cheating if I make a lvl99 sorc using hero editor for the sole purpose of MFing? Assuming I'm starting the game fresh. It's just SP but I really just want to skip the hours of grind of lvling up all my chars and looking for gear. But I'm on the fence of taking it to this extreme. Thoughts?

>> No.5510321

>>5510307
nah dont.
you could get a sorc through to hell in a few hours. Charged Bolt wrecks everything in early levels and once you get teleport and blizzard you can just yolo your way straight through.
at Hell Act one respec to a meteorb build and you're golden.

make a Stealth armor, Leaf staff and Lore in a helm. Like this chart shows the first 100MF is the most important, >>5506379
You can make quick MF set for NM Andy/Meph using just some Topaz you have lying around and run those in between getting your way through Hell.
It's crazy watching speedrunners get a Sorc through Normal in under 70min, shit's crazy. You don't need to min-max quite that hard but you could still hit 60 or 70 in an afternoon.

>> No.5510329

>>5510321
I definitely feel like grinding through levels and crappy gear is part of the beauty of the game. I made two chars and started them at lvl60 but quickly realized that's pointless because they don't have any gear to put on lol. I'm also using plugy so I can pass whatever I find onto the other chars but I'm still not sure what would be the most fun. I just find norm/nm too easy though so I want to skip through it and finally beat the damn game on hell.

>> No.5510331

>>5510329
set players to 8

>> No.5510337

>>5510331
I could do that too but then the game doesn't really feel difficult, it just takes really fucking long. It's like playing Civ4 on marathon. It's the same it just takes more time. I did players 8 the first time I ran a meterob a few months back on norm/nm, the only part I found hard was act 5 nm because of the rogues randomly appearing.

>> No.5510339

>>5510337
i feel you, i find insufferable going through normal with a new char

>> No.5510341

>>5510339
Hence why I wanted to skip it lol, all the fun is in hell mode. All the actual hard monster, bosses and best loot are there. But running a naked lvl99 sounds like a bit much.

>> No.5510383

>>5481875
>fill the game with beneficial shrines like+50% exp bonus
>yes but how about we make every boss pack cursed?

How did they got away with this shit?

>> No.5510385

>>5510383
I don't even bother with shrines in Hell difficulty unless it's refill or gem shrine. It's just not worth it. You get it overwritten immediately. What a pack of retarded devs.

>> No.5510387

>>5510321
>It's crazy watching speedrunners get a Sorc through Normal in under 70min, shit's crazy
I wouldn't mind watching those videos if it weren't for the fact that every guy that does it feels the need to fucking talk throughout the whole goddamn thing. Why can't people just make a damn video with the game play?

>> No.5510429

>>5510383
>not just modding the game so that shrines and curses use different states, thus no longer overriding each other

>> No.5510470

>>5485158
Pretty much just Lost Alpha STALKER

>> No.5510489

>>5487331
When I was a dumb kid when D2 came out I used to rock a scythe necro

>> No.5510492

>>5510387
Just mute it then you autistic nigger

>> No.5510515

>>5485158
I can name 25 wolf3d mods that are fantastic off the top of my head

>> No.5510521

>>5486480
How else are you going to kill the Ubers? I will see you going to farm online Bill runs with 8 players? How else are you going to farm gear for your other characters?

>> No.5510625

>>5510387
This is one of the most retarded things I have ever read

>> No.5510632

So what is the best holy shock zeal build? I'm looking at a build right now with 20 points into zeal and I remember some guy on here saying only 4??

>> No.5510901

Bump

>> No.5510924

>>5481875
I know the feeling OP, for me, Diablo 2 isn't much different from a modern f2p game, it just goes forever and nothing interesting happens beyond the occasional gift of a rare drop. Might as well play with dice and invent my own rules, it will be just as much fun IMO.

>> No.5511123
File: 538 KB, 800x600, Screenshot002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Larzuk it or gamble at bugging? Playing SP.

>> No.5511159

>>5510625
I no rite, d00d whoz ur favs streamer XD

>> No.5511278

>>5511159
I don't watch streamers lol

>> No.5511284

>>5481891
This. Nothing to do with anything except loot and some dueling

>> No.5511331

>>5511159
when he called you a retard, was in regard of you not just muting the video.

>> No.5511763

>>5510924
for me it's always been a game for when I've just finished work.
crack open a beer and just brainlessly left-click some cunts for 30min.
sometimes you dont need anything with complicated mechanics, story or online play. sometimes you just want to left-click some cunts.

>> No.5511818

>>5510286
its pretty fucking embarrassing.

>> No.5511953
File: 211 KB, 800x600, Screenshot094.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5511763
and you can pick it up anywhere, and drop in the middle of doing anything. no save points, no checkpoints, just smashin cunts

>> No.5512323

rolled 2 ctas
both 1 bo
too depressed to play

>> No.5512327

Why does Weaken even exist? No other skill is even a fraction as useless as this.

>> No.5512339

>>5512323
nvm just found a jah

>> No.5512474

>>5511953
>drop in the middle of doing anything
yeah this.
if I only have 5 minutes then I can do a quick couple of Lower Kurast runs or something.
Sometimes I'll put on something to watch and do 40min of Mephisto runs or level up a new character or try out a weird build like melee sorc, thrower barb or poison dagger necro.