[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 423 KB, 640x480, FF7RedMan.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5477965 No.5477965 [Reply] [Original]

Thread for cut/unused content in video games. Unused assets in game files and prerelease images from magazines. Stuff like that.

Wiki to get you started:
https://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor

>> No.5477987
File: 123 KB, 445x293, SM64RedShell.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5477965
Wats that red dude?

>> No.5477994

>>5477987
no one knows, it's from final fantasy 7 and he's obscured by a treasure chest

>> No.5478003
File: 297 KB, 443x1871, Screenshot_2019-04-03-01-56-37-468_com.brave.browser.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5477987
Just some red dude, man. Also, I hope the FF7 remake includes all the cut Honey Bee Inn content.

https://youtu.be/_aG_6b2B8QY
https://youtu.be/058JQUM3t6s

>> No.5478016
File: 730 B, 49x49, Ff3_Phoenix.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Unused in ff3 nes. More unused was inserted in other versions.

>> No.5478023

Moogles ff2

>> No.5478025
File: 57 KB, 612x84, FFII_Moogle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Moogles ff2
Hmmm replaced with canadian beavers.

>> No.5478309

>>5477965
It took me a minute to realize this screenshot is NOT from Mario Party 2's Mini-Game Coaster.

>> No.5478451
File: 480 KB, 1305x1496, EWJ2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxLs8g6n4jg

>> No.5478458

>>5478451
why does this still have no tcrf article?

>> No.5478771
File: 77 KB, 640x630, ps1_legacy_of_kain_soul_reaver-120314.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://thelostworlds.net/SR1/index.html

>> No.5478849

>>5477965
The placement makes it quite creepy.

>> No.5479630
File: 5 KB, 132x186, u8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Man, every time I remember what Ultima VIII could have been, I hate EA even more.

https://ultima.fandom.com/wiki/Plot_Cuts_in_Ultima_VIII

>> No.5479723
File: 36 KB, 640x480, shantae-playstation-1-pc-cancelled-32-bit-game.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another site for cancelled and beta versions of games.

https://www.unseen64.net

>> No.5479738
File: 102 KB, 320x224, Aladdin_Genesis-Genie_Beta (2).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Genie.
Baps.

>> No.5479745

Some boring ones:

- Secret of Mana: The game has a working text compression that could have been used to fit in more text. It's already set up to common English combinations needed to fit in the initial script Woosley could not fit (and the French and German versions have it adapted to their languages too) It was simply not used due to an oversight and the text was mutilated far more than it had any right to be.

- Super Adventure Island 2: The English version has a working proportional font, yet all characters are set to 8 so this isn't taken advantage of. Much of the slooooow text messages was added by the localizers, and one of their more sexual additions was caught by Nintendo censors causing a delay.
This isn't unique to this game, some other games have this, like the infamous Mega Man Star Force 1 localization. Mega Man X4's ugly ass font was changed from 16px (JP) to... 12px (US) instead of a smaller more reasonable value for English text. Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, and the Japan-only Live-A-Live (partially) had working proportional fonts as well, but this wasn't put to much use.

- Actraiser 2 and Slapstick/Robotrek contain European accents internally (following ASCII 1252). However the Euro translation for the former went for all caps (never using them, despite them working as intended when the text is changed to use them) and the latter never got an European publisher. The next Quintet game that got extensive European localizations didn't have the proper ASCII 1252 set, so their accents replaced some random punctuation marks.

- TCRF is run by politically active people who happen to hold the opinion that all game censorship and localization changes are beneficial, and often act on it whenever anything of the sort is added. This is why you will see articles heavily slanted in favor of the US version, or some matter-of-fact content outright purged from pages. Browse it with that in mind.

>> No.5479749

>>5479745
>run by politically active people who happen to hold the opinion that all game censorship and localization changes are beneficial
Do you have some examples of this?

>> No.5479771

>>5479749
Memoryholing most recent Nintendo Treehouse changes, pushing back against Working Designs regional change articles, lesser known games changes cut entirely over some nebulous notability criteria...
Then you would see "changes from the US version" get dedicated pages written by the admins as if that's the lead version, documenting every misplaced preposition or deviation from US canon. Except when it makes the US version look bad (memes for example). Following the admins' social media accounts makes everything crystal clear soon enough.

>> No.5479794

>>5479771
You're not posting any actual examples. Just anecdotal bullshit and stuff like "go read their twitter pages". TCRF is not a site where you go document "SJW censorship" in games and you shouldn't consider it as such.

>> No.5479805

>>5479745
>This is why you will see articles heavily slanted in favor of the US version,
Sounds like horse shit to me unless you give examples. I've read dozens of pages where they explain all the ways that Japanese versions of games are superior.

>> No.5479808

>>5479805
Or the Crusader of Centy page where they explain how the PAL version is superior.

>> No.5479867

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odgl2S7Vh2U

>> No.5479886

>>5479749
nobody thinks censorship is beneficial. you're confusing removing pedo garbage and censoring.

>> No.5480767

>>5479794
>>5479886
>TCRF is not a site where you go document "SJW censorship" in games and you shouldn't consider it as such.
Hi resetera.

The examples I provided go beyond "anecdotal bullshit", the twitter stuff is relevant because you have the same admins who say the cuts don't count as documentable material are the same demanding those cuts on social medias and coming up with justifications for past cuts. One hell of a conflict of interests for a gaming historian, wouldn't you agree (if you had any standards left that is)
Some content changes are more equal than others, and if we pretend it doesn't fit the selection criteria but "mom>mum" does then it's as if normies don't know it existed at all, right?

Tell again how Working Designs text fuckery was "SJW censorship", and what pedo content in that "..." conversation (Fire Emblem Fates) american eyes were protected from (and anything Treehouse does really but doesn't count because they're localization sacred cows, like replacing swords with wooden poles in dragon ball fusions), and how in the world is the burger version of Ranma/Dragon Ball NES mutilated beyond recognition the master version that should be the only one documented.

Oh right, I know. Who else but resetera would defend, downplay, and defend downplaying attempts of all cases of game censorship, old and new? But have fun pretending a wiki that does just that is the end-all authority on regional differences, when they didn't even get over stanning for the OLD nintendo censors.

>> No.5480774

>>5479808
>The American Crusader of Centy and European Soleil featured two almost entirely different translations. The US version was picked up by Atlus and is a little more loose, while the European version has a bit more accurate translation and is less censored (usually in the religious context, i.e. the intro's "Let there be light", "DOG = GOD", etc.). While the European version appears to have less overall typos and scripting errors (such as awkwardly placed line breaks in the middle of words), it is considered by some people too literal compared to the "warmer" translation of the US version.

Talk page:
>Tyrone Rodriguez of Nicalis, who did the English localization for the game, had this to say about working on Centy: "I was still in high school at the time, so I'd work on it at night and on the weekends. The reason the last part with the platforms that spelled "DOG" was changed was because I brought it to the attention of Grady (the producer) that some people might erroneously assume we meant GOD. Since it was high up in the sky, he asked Gau to change it to MAC [the name of the dog], which was SUPER obvious." Should be added when someone spruces up the region differences section!

tl;dr: The american translation, done by an actual high-schooler, that removed all regional references (except for "Tower of Babel" and "Leviathan" and nothing else) from a plot all about religion and biblical references, with scripting errors and typos as the cherry on top, is BETTER.
Because it's "less literal" and "warmer".
Less literal here doesn't mean rewritten to flow naturally in English (which the English-illiterate UK translators managed really well in their still accurate translation that doesn't get the basic plot wrong, a tall ordeal i get it), it means different, now matter how different it is. And that's a positive.

Big facepalm, really.

>> No.5480775

>>5480774
This sort of essay is allowed because it defends the burger version. Supper had his (for Lunar, etc) removed over notability because it had a different conclusion, and that had a proper list of examples.
Tcrf admins also go over differences in whether text nuances count, and also dismiss graphical changes as irrelevant when they are too unfavorable.

>> No.5480789

>>5480774
Oh my Dog someone censored Crusader of Centy on the Sega System, how will humanity be able to cope?

>> No.5480824

>>5480789
oh my dog i don't care that chink jarpig got the 4kids special, no one else should care!
especially not in a thread about cut content and a wiki that pretends documenting it!! talk about anything else!

>> No.5480974
File: 1.57 MB, 400x286, FUG_DIS.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>TCRF is run by politically active people]

oh fuck everything

>> No.5481202

>>5479630
>tfw zoomers from /v/ now unironically defend EA because Reddit hates EA
This generation is so fucking annoying sometimes.

>> No.5481207

>>5480767
I actually didn't know this. Does TCRF have a lot of connection with shitholes like Resetera and Neogaf?

Are there any better alternatives?

>> No.5481347
File: 77 KB, 1129x696, Adel_and_rose_99.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5477965
Not sure of the veritability, but it's said that Rugal Bernstein was originally meant to copy any moves used on him during the first round in KOF '94. Since that was deemed infeasible (due to lack of space I believe), they gave Geese and Krauser's special moves.

A KOF '95 guidebook had artwork of unused characters. Among others, Chris (with a hood and an outfit close to Goenitz'/one seen in one of the special images in KOF 98's credits) and Shingo were apparently created for '95 before getting reused in '97.
On a similar note, the original concept for Omega Rugal was apparently Rugal shirtless with a panther tattoo. Another concept was a Vitruvian Man-styled Rugal with (Geese and Krauser's?) heads, arms and legs.

Artwork indicates that Adelheid and Rose Bernstein from KOF 2003 were initially conceptualized for KOF '99.

Bao went through tons of concepts. The can be seen on Unseen 64.

>> No.5481681

>>5479745
>- TCRF is run by politically active people who happen to hold the opinion that all game censorship and localization changes are beneficial, and often act on it whenever anything of the sort is added. This is why you will see articles heavily slanted in favor of the US version, or some matter-of-fact content outright purged from pages. Browse it with that in mind.

Man these wackos are everywhere these days huh, thank you for the heads up.

>> No.5481993

>>5481207
>Are there any better alternatives?
None, but there are attempts, and specialized wikis for game series document unused content universally better than they do.

I can't recommend the "censored gaming" channel in good faith because it's the english equivalent of matome blogs (repost + clickbait, on an industrial scale) in video form but you take what you get. Seriously the lengths they go to omit covering censorship (even redacting it from official patch notes the once in a blue moon it's acknowledged by the company) are unbelievable.
They hate Boundary Break and think he's stealing their content. The channel is pretty low effort (for everything besides the video production values, like actual fiddling with games) but it's original at the very least.

Joke recommendation: tcrf's patreon, that has exclusive content (of course, otherwise that wouldn't be in-character) and occasionally OPs in these threads on /vr/ are fishing for new material to add as they rant on irc how much they hate the userbase contributing

If you want to start your own, anon, no matter the scale, that would be awesome.
Centralization is never good for this kind of thing. Gatekeeping is always a risk, and it is the case with tcrf which already picks and chooses which doujin and indie games are "notable" enough to "count".

>> No.5482003

>>5481993
TCRF sound like scum desu.

>> No.5482009

>>5481347
The concept of copying moves is pretty good, but I guess they didn't implement it back then because the MVS was still in its infancy. Whenever difficulties in those old games crop up, you can be almost sure it's because of memory limitations.

Two games that had the concept of copying moves were Gowcaizer and X-Men vs Street Fighter, and both are rather limited in that. Rogue in XvS can only copy one move, and in Gowcaizer it's more like you have 10 unlockable moves for every character, and you have to defeat opponents to unlock one move for each.

This seems like crazy impossible, but if you limit it to only special moves, you would just need to give Rugal some new animations and copy the sprites and effects for the attacks, like Haoh Sho Koh Ken or Kyo's flames. What would happen is that Rugal would already have every move in the game, but he could only unlock some of them when fighting a certain opponent. This could be done in two ways:
1) brute force: load Rugal's spriteset all at once in memory and unlock just the "copied" attacks. This creates memory problems.
2) dynamically load only the copied moves. This is more trouble than its worth, and remember this was back in 1993/1994, when they barely knew what the MVS could do.

>> No.5482019

>>5481202
>tfw zoomers from /v/ now unironically defend EA because Reddit hates EA
If this is the Bioware coverage, you sure you're not strawmanning it a bit?

Bioware was taken over by EA 10 years ago and were shitting worse and worse Mass Effect annual versions. The gaming press stood by Bioware over the ME3 ending and sided with them against the "entitled audience" that didn't "get" that ending. Then it was filling that diversity push bingo card and getting favorable coverage accordingly. Eventually ME:Andromeda was their undoing and then for the Anthem trainwreck finale, as Bioware is on their death throes, the gaming press tears Bioware apart as a "safe target". Bioware for once antagonized game journalism in their PR which caused prompt retaliation.

/v/ zoomers support Bioware now that it's "on their side". But it won't matter in the grand scheme. EA, Bioware and DICE are full of employees who embrace that "fuck the customer" mantra and hate their guts, and are still spilling the beans for those stories as they're fleeing a sinking ship that doubles as a safe practice target. EA will still kill Bioware, that much is certain and won't be changed.

>> No.5482028
File: 108 KB, 720x576, a68b3b518605d10404878f31a23f19e8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5482038

>>5482019
None of that is true. Nice revisionism, schizoid.

>> No.5482042

>>5482019
>/v/ zoomers support Bioware now that it's "on their side".
I have not seen this. I've seen /v/irgins complain that hating on Bioware is 'Reddit' (as well as how everyone should like Fallout 76 just because Reddit hates it), because they have a chronic case of Contrarian's Disease.

>>5482038
He was right up until he got to Anthem.

>> No.5482054
File: 217 KB, 638x428, DaveMustaineJeremySafferSolo1Dec2018_638.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5482019
Nice story, tell it to Reader's Digest!

>> No.5482061
File: 95 KB, 456x432, SSWTrashCompactorEGM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm saddened that none of the known beta dumps have the missing level.

>> No.5482191

>>5479867

I would like to play that.

>> No.5482197

>>5482061
Yeah, the earliest dumped beta just had minor differences. If I remember correctly, it is easier to cheese some bosses because the scroll locking isn't quite the same, and when you fight Jawenko, the platform you stand on is flush against the left side of the screen, so there's no worry about falling into the lava behind you.

>> No.5482238
File: 415 KB, 347x512, 1437032762194.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5481993
>Not even in the world of unused content in games you're safe from shitty drama
Why even fucking bother living at this point.

>> No.5482286

>>5478771
Like half of this fucking game is cut content fuck. Sometimes I think they were overambitious with this game and wonder what could have been but at the same time I think that a lot of the stuff they wanted to put in the game would just be bloat.

>> No.5482324
File: 2 KB, 64x32, PV-5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pic related is from TM2's Grasshopper files. Thing is that Grasshopper is pretty much a reskin of TM1's Pit Viper, but slightly modified. Heck, even Grasshopper's folder is dubbed "PV." Another tidbit is that the Moscow level was going to take place on a satellite dish, according to some old concept art and even the level's folder, DISH.

>> No.5482337
File: 388 KB, 1023x768, Estate1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another, but Re-Volt. Pic here is a deleted level dubbed the Council Estate. Development for Re-Volt began in late 1997 to mid-1999, and this level here was sadly cut early. According to Mozchops (aka: the guy who's name appeared in some Heavy Metal mags), he states that this level just sucks due to the abysmal flow.

>> No.5483271

>>5478451
God I fucking love EWJ 2. Some people shit on it for feeling like a collection of minigames, but that's honestly part of why I love it. Kept it from feeling too much like the first and made you really eager to see the next level.
>April 24th 1995
1995 was such a fucking great year of my life, goddamn.

>> No.5483453

>>5478451
Makes me sad there was no special edition for EWJ2 that cobbled together the unfinished concepts as one extended experience like with EWJ1.

>> No.5483532

>>5480789
Sorry mate but it has been proven that if you give SJW types an inch, they will take a mile. Never talk to them, never reason with them, never listen to them, never apologize. Your only interaction is to use the block button.

You don't ignore "just a wee bit of mold" or a "small fire".

>> No.5483589

>>5480767
>fat weeb crying about working designs also is a political nutjob convinced everyone he doesn't like is an evil boogeyman
I am absolutely shocked

>> No.5483601
File: 23 KB, 200x236, 364214843.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Goddammit Matt, you just had one job!

https://tcrf.net/Spider-Man_(Windows,_Mac_OS_Classic,_Mac_OS_X)

>> No.5483807

>>5483589
I prefer a fat weeb who cares about his games, over censorship-happy Resetera goons.

>> No.5484193

>>5483589
hi resetera

>> No.5484225
File: 3 KB, 512x32, th f 4 16x8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's some more:

- Yume Penguin Monogatari and Dracula Kun on NES: both have at least one entire level cut over cartridge restrictions, but text remains of both. The former was supposed to have a skating race with the gangster penguin cucking him.

- S.O.S : The game has three characters that can't be rescued. Two because NoA censors deemed them too drunk to deserve living and had the developers seal their bar's door, the third is either a scrapped NPC or one of the unavoidable deaths. They also cut an entire ending route from the English version for some reason.

- Thunder Force 4: the ending font only uses some of the characters, so Techno Soft got lazy and didn't finish drawing it. (pic related)

- Sega Genesis have two fields for the Japanese title and the Worldwide title in its internal header. They're usually only different for the second localized release of a game, whereas a game never intended for export duplicates the title. This is how the existence of some planned regional releases that never happened was deduced: Dashing Desperadoes in Japan, Trouble Shooters Vintage overseas.

- Fuck resetera.

>> No.5484234

>>5477987
heh...

>> No.5484658
File: 16 KB, 256x224, FFTProto.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Gameplay of a prototype version of Final Fight Tough (dated August 14th 1995) for the Super Famicom/SNES.

https://youtu.be/qUqcv1NHSoE

>> No.5484661

>>5484225
>- Fuck resetera.
Pathetic. Get over yourself, incels.

>> No.5484663

>>5483807
I prefer decent people over racists.

>> No.5484667

>>5484661
>>5484663
Cringe and redpilled ironic resetera posters.

>> No.5484737

>>5483601
I like how in between all the references to firing Matt there's a "demote Matt." Brilliant

>> No.5484739

>>5484225
>- Yume Penguin Monogatari and Dracula Kun on NES: both have at least one entire level cut over cartridge restrictions, but text remains of both. The former was supposed to have a skating race with the gangster penguin cucking him.
I lol'd at "cucking." What a weird game

>> No.5484751
File: 692 KB, 600x800, FAG ASS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5484661
>>5484663

>> No.5485078

>>5479771
>changes from the US version
I would imagine it's written that way since most visitors to the site would familiar with US version.
In fact that's just darn right logical.
But you're just full of shit claiming that they're slanted in favor of the US versions.

>> No.5485121

>>5484667
*poster

Some samefag is salty and blew his cover. Pretty hard to find someone not resetera who fills the bingo card as well. Vanilla SJWs would try inferring party affiliation then bringing out the istophobe-incel card, Resetera merely applies that by default to anyone not in their circle and even within their circle not virtue signaling hard enough.

>>5485078
The power of LOGIC now? My sides.
>slanted in favor of the US versions
Slanted is not the appropriate word.

It doesn't do justice to their massive hateboner against Nintendo of Europe alternative English translations (keep religious references, meme-free, well-written, don't omit random shit, aren't the hentai bootleg translations their haters make them out to be) when they dedicate entire pages documenting how dumb it is, and how it "made up parts not in the US translation to confuse readers" despite being very different translations.

Here's one more piece of trivia: It wasn't just Nintendo of Europe. Nintendo's iQue Chinese localization team initially started translating from NoA's script, but progressively started realizing it sucked so much they started with Advance Wars (GBA, 2007) translating from the Japanese source instead (it's notable because with that game some parts are from NoA, the base rom is american, and some editor went hell nope that's retarded, get the Japanese text and frankenstein it here... well no shit it's the translation that rendered Onigri Island as "triangles"), and still are to this very day.

>> No.5485127

In addition to the above, someone who wanted to document changes between the Japanese and English text of Shining Force 2 had to do it in the pages for the localization prototype that still only allowed two different English drafts.
Yes among the dropped plot points there were panties jokes and you can't allow a section that might have that so ban it all.

>> No.5485141

>>5485127
You have severe autism and you should consider getting help.

>> No.5485153

>>5483532
Sorry mate but if you refer to people as SJWs, and talk to people you would consider "SJWs", you spend way too much time on the internet and need to work on your mental health.

Let alone the fucking context of a video game... when was the last time you saw outdoors?

>> No.5485220

>>5485121
kill yourself weeb faggot. you've ruined this entire thread crying about muh censorship and some imaginary sjw who control a fucking retro video game site just because American games dont translate your dumb nip scripts 1:1. go shit up /v/ with all the other 12 year olds fighting fake cultural wars one Twitter screencap or shitpost at a time

>> No.5485223

The English version of Cannon Dancer, aka not!Strider2 was mostly made up bullshit by someone at Atlus USA who looked at pretty pictures and made up random shit to go along with it. It's called Osman because his name was in kanji (Kirin, the Eastern Asian unicorn) and the first level was in the Persian Gulf so they slapped an arab name on it. It has a lot of cut levels, like a marketplace.

>>5485141 >>5485153
Still low-effort samefagging, reseteratard.
Unlike in your forum, the real world isn't crazies running the asylum, so you still can't get anyone disagreeing with you about chink games committed or "banned from real life".
If you can't handle discussions about cut content beyond your jurisdiction, you can spare yourself the anguish.
>>>resetera.com

>> No.5485262

mental retardation ladies and gents

>> No.5485283

>>5478025
Wow, I thought moogles were introduced in FF6.

>> No.5485418

>>5485283
No. They were introduced in III (Doga's Manor) but they were supposed to be in II.
VI was the first time a moogle had a major role though.

>> No.5485443
File: 27 KB, 541x569, 1549179207000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What the fuck.
https://tcrf.net/Hisou_Kihei_X_Serd

>> No.5485458

>>5479745
Examples of censorship?

>> No.5485460

>>5485443
>Discussion page
>I would support the inclusion of a NSFL template on the wiki because I was not prepared to read that guy's Wikipedia page
>I was not prepared to read that guy's Wikipedia page
"BECAUSE MY FEELS!"
Sometimes I think those hyper-sensitive types on forums are just a form of satire, but real life proves me wrong again and again.

>> No.5485509

>>5485443
>>5485460
When did the world get so fucking soft?

>> No.5485524

>>5485443
The spineless people running this site are far more sickening

>> No.5485535

>>5482337
Thanks for the info.
Wasted a fuck ton of time on that game.

>> No.5485618

>>5485443
Based and cunnypilled

>> No.5485664

>>5485458

they don't think pedophilia is good and aren't incel-adjacent

>> No.5485735

>>5485664
You didn't answer his question.

>> No.5485782

>>5483589
I came into this conversation as a neutral observer interested in cut content. I have no idea about any of these other game forums or wikis. You challenged this guy several times of talking out his ass and he's provided adequate evidence for his arguments. Now you've restored to personal attacks and insulting him for answering the challenge pit before him.

Just shut the fuck up. It's over.

>> No.5485786

>>5485220
Not really, he answered questions people put before him and now you're freaking out because you lost control of the narrative.

>> No.5485917

>>5479745
Also in Live-a-Live: Besides the chapter heroes, every single possible party member (not counting the playable major bosses in a bad ending) can be renamed internally, but the game never asks you to so they're stuck with the default.

Chrono Trigger has Ayla choose a nickname for Chrono that's generated by the game dropping a syllable or two. The default Chrono becomes Cro for example.

>> No.5485935

>>5485664
Non-answer.

>> No.5485942

>>5485141
Why is he wrong?

>> No.5485949

>>5485121
Not him but it actually is pretty logical.
It's not how the article SHOULD be written, but I understand the logic behind it.

>> No.5485951

>>5485935
It makes perfect sense, everything that's not insane incel terrorist garbage gets looked down as SJW according to you. Like having normal human decency is some extremist agenda you insane faggot.

>> No.5485954

Is this /v/? Because it feels like I'm on /v/.
What the fuck even is this thread?

>> No.5485957

>>5485954
This is a nightmare, and you can't wake up.

>> No.5485984

>>5485942
This thread is about cut/unused content in video games, not politics. Stop bringing your retard shit over here.

>> No.5486000

>>5480974
Really?

>> No.5486001
File: 99 KB, 800x800, be6a7073318f8dae4d1a830286b24b81c85b7f2b4fe7b8881eda9f6e588e230d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

?

>> No.5486027
File: 19 KB, 387x257, EquinoxSNES_boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All the towns and NPCs were cut out of Equinox due to Sony imposing a tight deadline. The elaborate 3D overworld is still there, but there's nothing to actually do but fight 2 kinds of monsters and travel between dungeon entrances.

>> No.5486032

>>5485951
Is that your actual answer?

>> No.5486161
File: 3 KB, 256x64, equinox.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5485984
>This thread is about cut/unused content in video games, not cut content in videogames i like it was cut and would want everyone to stop discussing its existence or else you're pedo-incel-republicans k thx bye

How to spot a resetera shill 101
- Love content cuts of all kinds: the focus testing, the dumbing down difficulty, the marketing trash, the puritan censorship (not just the new, but the old too), the looming deadline cuts, the rushed for market cuts, see: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-attitude-that-more-content-means-a-better-game-is-dangerous-for-games.1224013/
- The one and only forum associated with DEMANDING game censorship.
- Anyone who hated green blood and cut dialogue and stuff is a PEDO. Some projection involved (see amirox, opiate, etc)
- Love infesting and converging various retro gaming communities to serve their interests
- Very unhinged when they don't get their way and love to get things they don't like shut down

Unsurprisingly lots of overlapping with tcrf admins.
Don't you dare discuss the Honeybee Inn in here, anons.
it *claps* does *clap* not *clap* count *clap* either

>>5486027
There was the smaller cartridge too. Developers left a message where the (obviously useless) jp letters would go in the graphical font data, in english versions.

Game Freaks ended up cutting most of the animation they did for Jelly Boy as well, and then some more for the burger version (the towns are still in the code with their music, they did that because they didn't want to translate their text at all - if you hacked your way in the game pauses for text printing but doesn't put out visible characters) and ultimately they made a manga with the discarded story concepts.

inb4 resetera comes and says we should not care at all at those dumb story concepts because only pedos obsessed with boobs would care about a jelly monster cartoon

>> No.5486165

>>5486161
no one cares

>> No.5486181

>>5486161
>and ultimately they made a manga with the discarded story concepts.
Was it any good?

>>5486165
I care.

>> No.5486186

>>5485951
You have to be 18 or older to post here

>> No.5486194

>>5486027
Why'd they rush the game, Christmas coming up?

>> No.5486214

>>5486181
I never got to read it myself, but there are some pages floating around (a happily ever after, and a secondary character nowhere in the game) and the artwork is nice. No one to my knowledge scanned the whole thing.
The US version is superior in just one single aspect - mapping the projectile and run button to different buttons, but that was backported to the fan-translation.

Besides setpieces and levels for the cut story, they cut a lot of smaller one-off enemies and visual gags. A damn shame, because some series (Bonk, Tempo) made their appeal from that kind of thing, and I would have loved to see how well it would have married to Ken Sugimori's art style.

>> No.5486217

>>5486161
I get where you're coming from, but you're basically trying to hijack the thread to talk about something else entirely when people just wanted to discuss cut content.
Nothing makes that more obvious than your first post when you posted some on-topic material and then made a little footnote about the people running TCRF in order to completely derail the thread. Congratulations, you succeeded.

>> No.5486231

Metal Slader Glory's bath scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DFYaP61xAM

The Famicom version barely fit, and Nintendo NCL was trying to disassociate from hentai bootlegs so the director cut some scenes from the games. Some of the scenes, and more explicit (either violent or lewd) text were restored in a very late SNES port for the Nintendo Power rewritable cartridge service (some others in an art book), including this bath scene (that also explains why Elina didn't reach Azusa in time when a certain major event happened)

The downside is that the soundtrack was completely redone for the enhanced port, not necessarily for the better.

>> No.5486263

>>5485786
What narrative? The only person trying to spin a narrative here is the one turning a thread about cut content from games into some bullshit about sjws just because they dared to say that working designs wasn't satan. It's the same fat retarded weeb who bitches about this everytime, and he constantly tries to start some culture war bullshit every time he does it.

>> No.5486270

>>5486161
When is the last time a person unrelated to you asked you to attend a social event?

>> No.5486287

>>5486217
>to talk about something else entirely
>when people just wanted to discuss cut content
"something else entirely" =
- cut content
- buried inside US, JP versions, or cut entirely
- in various forms: graphics, rooms, text, music

"doesn't count" because =
- TCRF admins like those particular cuts
- join the resetera crowd (they're members, quelle surprise) in demanding more cuts they like from companies, they MAKE them happen
- want not only the content to be cut, but all mentions of its existence in history, or of the cut taking place
- run their websites in ways that give away the illusion it accepts all content from contributors, but it serves that self-centered motive
- use their website to outright MAKE UP flaws about regional versions that cut less than their preferred version
- repost information from other websites, this very thread included. This wasn't the first time. They also view such sources with deep contempt

Was the spotlight too strong? There's that irony of wanting a cut discussion about cut content as well, but we're still allowed to mention this content exist (the "something else" you're annoyed it's mentioned at all) and they cover it up actively despite a false pretense of objectivity and gaming historian process.

Exemples mentioned so far in the thread: Shining Force 2 (panties, pervy book cover names, cut villain motivations and game mechanics), Working Designs, Treehouse (Dragon Ball Legends changing swords to wooden poles), iQue, Jelly Boy (blanked the whole text), SOS (cut a bar), Crusader of Centy (cut religious references and in the process most of the plot)

If that much is "too political" for tcrf/resetera shills here, that's telling. But the stronger trigger than the mere discussion of that verboten cut content outside their jurisdiction seems to be pointing out that centralizing this discussion in unreliable hotspots might not be the brightest idea.

>> No.5486296

>>5486214
Tales of Phantasia is a similar case -

Started as a Nintendo-published game (explains the huge cartridge) but Namco got it and had the characters redesigned. The game sprites in the Super Famicom version (and that version alone) match the early art design.
There were huge chunks of the story that were cut too, but some of it was published as manga (Daos' entire story arc that would have been 25% of the game) or audio drama (Thor City's fate). Regrettably, the later versions made little effort in restoring those cuts, instead distancing themselves further (the cut male character didn't make it, but the more inconsequential Suzu did)

>> No.5486305

>>5486194

Nah, it was the usual "we don't want to fund this for another 3 months". All the dialogue had been written and translated, it just hadn't been implemented into the game.

>> No.5486647
File: 136 KB, 1421x395, Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 3.44.59 pm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5485223
yes you're right it's literally impossible that two people on earth disagree with you

I should start using that logic, it's a good way of preventing people from talking to me

>> No.5486960

>>5486263
>What narrative? The only person trying to spin a narrative here is the one turning a thread about cut content from games into some bullshit about sjws just because they dared to say that working designs wasn't satan. It's the same fat retarded weeb who bitches about this everytime, and he constantly tries to start some culture war bullshit every time he does it.
>Far left weirdo shut ins try to control and subvert innocuous page dedicated to chronicling the past like they always do
> Someone points this out and actually contributes interesting content not on aforementioned site
> NO DON'T YOU DARE TALK ABOUT THIS! INCEL! IT'S POLITICS! JUST ACCEPT WHAT IS HAPPENING! I-I'M THE NORMAL ONE!!

He who controls the past controls the future

>> No.5487087

>>5486305
Now that's interesting. More details would be lovely.
The text in the american versions seems to be blanked out or redirected elsewhere (to somewhere with blank text likely because there's no trace of it)

>> No.5488101

>>5486287

You need to leave the house more.

>> No.5488113

>>5485951
based schizo poster

>> No.5488115

>>5488101
seething + obsessed

>> No.5488578

>>5485153
I interact with people in the real world. SJWs exist. And most of them are pretty easy to spot with minimal interpersonal interaction, because they wear their beliefs on their sleeves.

>> No.5488613

>>5478003
They already confirmed that the Honey Bee Inn shit is completely cut from the remake to avoid offending trannies

>> No.5488616

>>5478771
>>5482286
I want to say that the Dreamcast enhanced port ate into their resources but I don't know if they worked on that during or after the PSX/PC version.

>> No.5488617

>>5479723
I like that site but the guy who narrates for their youtube videos is an annoying fuckhead

>> No.5488618

>>5479745
>TCRF is run by politically active people who happen to hold the opinion that all game censorship and localization changes are beneficial, and often act on it whenever anything of the sort is added
That's Hardcore Gaming 101, you can tell because TCRF has people who actually know Japanese and don't steal off wikipedia.

>> No.5488623

>>5486287

The TCRF pages on WD's games are great because they're written by someone who's still extremely butthurt about WD and what they did to the games they translated, 18 years after they were last relevant (if they were ever relevant at all). The seething passive-aggressive rage in found in them is pathetic but funny to read.

>> No.5488634
File: 5 KB, 227x222, dude.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5488618

TCRF's contributors have talent, but it's staffed with the same losers you see on places like Resetera and Hardcoregaming101. You know, the ones that are always angry and use politics to fill the gigantic lack of purpose in their lives. The owner is a redhead version of the fat zit-riddled neckbeard guy you see posted to mock nerds. BMF54123 is an easily offended control freak with serious anger issues that has all the markings of being a mass shooter one day.

>> No.5488642

>>5488613
Why would Cloud crossdressing offend the trannies?

>> No.5488643

>>5488634

The irony in this post is delicious. Kek.

>> No.5488646

>>5479745
>TCRF is run by politically active people who happen to hold the opinion that all game censorship and localization changes are beneficial, and often act on it whenever anything of the sort is added. This is why you will see articles heavily slanted in favor of the US version, or some matter-of-fact content outright purged from pages. Browse it with that in mind.

Fucking great. Luckily I know Japanese, so I can just laugh at all the mentally ill ResetEra pedotrannies.

Yes, just like that NeoGAF mod who cried about Japanese games turned out the be the real pedo, I bet the same will be true about ResetEra users.

>> No.5488648

>>5488646

NeoGAF/Resetera being a pedo nest is an open secret.

>> No.5488651

>>5488642
Cultural appropriation.

>> No.5488728

>>5488642
Because playing off crossdressing as a joke is seen as transphobic. Trannies are mentally ill and unstable so they're incapable of allowing jokes even adjacent to them because even the slightest amount of self-reflection throws them into psychological freefall.