[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 182 KB, 800x997, 10295-the-elder-scrolls-arena-dos-front-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5463867 No.5463867 [Reply] [Original]

I feel like people only even have nostalgia for this series up to Morrowind yet everyone acts like they have always been fans since this first game.

>> No.5463995

Arena's a pretty bad Ultima Underworld clone that wears out its welcome halfway through. Daggerfall improves on it in every way other than maybe the dungeon map, and is the one people care about. But it has its own set of problems. Morrowind is the first truly great one and the first one most people played because Xbox.

>> No.5464005

>>5463995
you could pretty much /thread right here

it's just UW with a shitty open world.

>> No.5464013

>>5463995
Battlespire, by the way, has FUCKING GREAT style, soundtrack and, most importantly actual level-design.
I don't have a clue as to why it's considered a black sheep in the series considering people are generally quick to admit Arena was inspired by UUW, and Battlespire is pretty much purest UUW clone in the series.
It's severely underpatched though.

>> No.5464063
File: 126 KB, 320x200, JAGAR.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I liked it enough to beat it, and I prefer it to Daggerfall because it's not a bloated mess of unfinished/half-baked features. The dungeons aren't a nightmare to navigate. You can't abuse the character creator. DF's plot of backstabbing royals, while unbelievably cool in theory, isn't fleshed out well enough to matter. Arena has a good rhythm to it, with Tharn trash talking you pro wrestling style throughout the game.

>> No.5464098

>>5463867
Yes.

>> No.5464172

>>5463867
Arena sucks, Daggerfall is good just to look at the tits, then you can just play Morrowind, then skip Oblivion and play Skyrim with tons of sex mods.

>> No.5464452

>>5464013
I don't think I've ever seen anyone call Battlespire a black sheep, just that it gets overlooked.

>> No.5464856

>>5463867
Arena sucks, Daggerfall sucks, Morrowind is only good because they nailed the atmosphere and lore of Vvardenfell perfectly, Oblivion fixed everything that was shit in Morrowind but got everything else wrong, Skyrim is Skyrim. Bethesda is shit and it really starts to show after you play them all.

>> No.5464863

>>5463867
it's a more complete and less broken game than daggerfall.
sadly the non-main quest dungeons are tiny and have like 5 different layouts that repeat infinitely.

it's not really an "essential" game to play, but it's nowhere near as bad as some anons make it out to be either. it's fun if you want ultima underworld but with an open world. it's also fun if you want a minimalistic and more well contained daggerfall.

>> No.5464873

>>5464863
I forgot to add, but arena also has some of the most satisfying swordplay in the series. one swordstroke can hit several enemies, and the visual/audial feedback when you miss or hit is great. stuff like landing a really meaty hit, or killing several enemies with a single swordstroke, is satisfying as fuck.
compared to, say, morrowind, it's like day and night.

>> No.5464884

Played Arena when it came out and was blown away. I'd never seen anything like it and absolutely loved it. I was an Elder Scrolls fanatic before it became cool.

Couldn't wait for Daggerfall to come out and loved it as well. Except that the dungeons were all endless and mindless and you shouldn't touch them without mark and recall spells.

Morrowind was the pinnacle of gaming. Literally the perfect game.

And then it started going downhill. After spending hundreds upon hundred of hours on the first three games, I doubt I managed 20 on Oblivion. It was absolute trash. Ugly, stupid and retarded. The Elder Scrolls had been consoled for the pleb market.

Skyrim was an extremely well polished turd. It's fun for what it is.

For the first time since the early nineties I will not be buying the next installment.

>> No.5464891

>>5464884
>Morrowind was the pinnacle of gaming. Literally the perfect game.
*swish*
*swish*
*swish*
*swish*
*swish*
*thud*
*swish*
*swish*

>> No.5464895

>>5464891
>he used weapons that weren't a part of his build in his ten minute playthough just to repeat the same dead meme that gets posted in every thread

>> No.5464898

Literally my only problem with Arena is that the last few dungeons have too many of those machine gun ghost enemies.

>> No.5464903

>>5464891
Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind are all first person RPG's, they're not action games or action RPG's in any capacity like Oblivions and Skyrim. You building your character wrong or fighting with low stamina is entirely your own fault, your failure is entirely your own fault.

>> No.5464910

>>5464903
arena and daggerfall are entirely different from morrowind. in them the sequence would go more like this:
*swish*
*clank*
*splat*

much more immersive and rewarding imo. morrowind fucks up completely by having a "splat" sound that sounds like "thud".

>> No.5464914

>>5464903
Morrowind system is unnatural as hell because you are given enough agility to control your character directly, yet it still relies on rolls. Pick one, please.

>> No.5465106

>>5464914
>Morrowind system is unnatural as hell
It's a brainlet filter.

>> No.5465424

>>5464884
>morrowind was the pinnacle of gaming
Morrowind is a pinnacle of awful game design. The game world is full of food but you can't get nourishment from it without alchemy skill. Enchanted weapons are worth less than normal weapons. At least half the population of any given settlement offer training regardless of context or surroundings. Game mechanics are complicated but shallow. The level up system is disgusting. All of which could be forgiven if the game was in any way engaging or exciting. But it isn't. NPCs are utterly lacking in personality, dialogue is copy & paste verbiage whether you're speaking to a prince, a peasant, a wizard or a humanoid cat drug addict.

>> No.5465469

>>5464914
>>5465106
Morrowind and before, are all different beasts that newer gamers can't get into. They'll talk smack about the graphics, about the combat, about the dialogue, and they'll miss a great gaming experience because it's not toeing the line between rpg and action adventure.

Making the series more casual and and accesible to later gamers completely distorted what made them awesome in the first place. Fallout 76 is just a passing the buck, continue kicking the bucket along product of that sorta "modernizing" scheme.

>> No.5465542

>>5464891
>me seeing the the box art for Arena as a teenager
*fap*
*fap*
*fap*
*fap*
*fap*
*skeet*
*fap*
*fap*

>> No.5465627

>>5463867
I kinda do since I can actually play it without getting nauseous from the first-person viewpoint. I like how fatigue actually matters in this game and some enemies can only be fully killed with magic. Anything else I can say I liked about this game was probably passed down to daggerfall, which I'll agree is probably the better game, but I just can't play or watch it for extended periods...

If Arena didn't glitch somewhere at the start of my save and I didn't lose interest after I think the Valenwood main dungeon, I'd probably have beaten it by now. It's just comes off as a shallow experience after a while. I'm tempted to play it again just to have my character walk from one town to another just to see how long that takes in real time.

>> No.5466440

>>5465424
It should have been bigger, they should have did Morrowind 2 in a year. Companies don't rehash their best stuff enough actually.

>> No.5467548

>>5465469
the Elder Scrolls games were never awesome in the first place.

>> No.5467598

>>5467548
video games are a waste of time

>> No.5467670

>>5467598
only true statement in this thread so far

>> No.5467790
File: 61 KB, 900x900, a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5464172
>skip Oblivion and play Skyrim

>> No.5467947

>>5467790
[incomplete greentext detected]

>> No.5468292

>>5464172
Unironically kill yo self

>> No.5468315

>>5467598
>>5467670
wow, both of you hurt my feelings

why come here then??

>> No.5468327

>>5468315
its fun

>> No.5468540

>>5464172
This but unironically, the elder scrolls isn't that good of a serie anyway so you can also play something else entirely if you get tired of sex mods

>> No.5468541

>>5463867
Why is that lady in the cover semi-naked?

>> No.5468545

>>5468541
Because your sex driven brain will make you automatically buy this game
t. any coke-addled marketing department ever

>> No.5468547

>>5467598
deep

>> No.5468559

Bethesda Shitworks should have stuck to football and home alone.

>> No.5468706

>>5465469
Morrowind is a good experience indeed, but it doesn't have amazing gameplay, and it's not even a question of being a boomer, a zoomer or simply a tard.
Hipsters will talk shit about anything because their entire culture relies on snarky youtube reviews, but who gives a shit about them.
The problem with Morrowind is the nostalgic cult following that artificially praises shit taken away from the next games as if it was what made Morrowund great in comparison. When really, its advantages lie almost exclusively in the storyline, the art and the lore, and the general atmosphere those three elements developed. The boring class system and the retarded combat are not parts of that great atmosphere imo.
And I can even understand that it's harder to get into the atmosphere when you try this clunky shit for the first time in the current year, just because Oblivion and Skyrim, although weaker on the whole 'atmosphere' and 'experience' shit are a lot easier to immerse yourself in quickly, especially with mods.
Skyrim itself has boring lore, a shit story and dull gameplay, but the fact that it somehow manages to be fluid to play makes it extremely easy to get immersed into. And if you've spent two or three days modding the damn thing, the 'experience' is still surprisingly amazing. Morrowind takes a bit more time to work its magic when you're not a 10 years old experiencing it for the first time.
tl;dr Bethesda makes really cool interactive movies with shit plots and an excuse for a gameplay.

>> No.5468835

>>5463995
fpbp

>> No.5470050
File: 525 KB, 800x840, A0EA4925-B31D-4334-8E5A-F59DE475F65D.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5464891
>short blade: 5
>fatigue: 0/100
>agility: 30
>”why can’t I hit anything?”

>> No.5470054

>>5468706
>Skyrim itself has boring lore, a shit story and dull gameplay, but the fact that it somehow manages to be fluid to play makes it extremely easy to get immersed into.
It doesn't get enough credit for being incredibly intuitive all around with top notch presentation

>> No.5470353

>>5464172
based zoomer

>> No.5470613

>>5470353
t. larping zoomer
True boomers know that sex mods and tits are the only worthwhile thing the elder scrolls ever accomplished, only zoomer have the time and patience to suffer through boring gameplay to 'experience' the 'immersion' and larp as a gay elf and other such nonsense.

>> No.5470672
File: 52 KB, 500x500, 1543530772524.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5465542
why

>> No.5471421

It's fun. You won't like it if you go into it thinking it's Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim version 1 or something. It was designed as an arena fighting game and RPG mechanics were added onto it. It wasn't intended to be a fantasy life simulator. It wasn't intended to be a deep interesting world for you to write fanfiction. You're intended to go in, kill things, level up, and kill more things. You can have fun on the side by robbing houses, following rumor trails that lead to artifacts, and running around the random countryside for a bit, but ultimately you're intended to keep going to the next dungeon because that's all they meant for you to do.

If you accept that it's not BetaDaggerfall or something you can have fun but you're probably expecting Morrowind-but-every-province and will be disappointed.

>> No.5471427

>>5464891
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z18eMqK9BMM

>> No.5471430

so many rpgcodex niggers in this thread.

>> No.5471436

when will you realize that all rpgs are shit and arcade games are superior.

>> No.5471632

>>5464891
I bet you also bitch in Fallout threads that the game is broken, because you can't hit shit and your Small Guns is 40% and you are in a dark cave, firing at maximum weapon range.

>> No.5471740
File: 236 KB, 500x398, 1328834293972.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5463867
Arena is a chore
Daggerfall delivered very well for it's time Morrowind is enjoyable WITH all of the mods to correct it's bullshit installed
Oblivion is Elder Scrolls easy mode but it is still a worthwhile play
Skyrim is no where near as bad as the elitists of /vr would try to convince you

I have never played Battlespire but I can tell without playing it that Redguard is ass.

>> No.5471751

>>5464903
>this game is unsatisfying and unfun to play
>>Well actually, its supposed to be that way! You just don't get it!

>> No.5471796

>>5471751
Old games aren't quite like newly created games

>> No.5473830

I came on board around the time of Morrowind's release and I was swept away by the immense features of the game. The community was just starting to boom at that time too, but it was still years off from degenerating into the pleb market that it is today.

I anticipated Oblivion with obsession, spent money on a new video card just to play it, and about two weeks into it, I realized that this wasn't the same game and wouldn't hold over as Morrowind did. But at least I had a new video card.

Daggerfall was intriguing, but after playing it for a while, I lost interest in questing.

Never played Arena.

Never played Battlespire, Redguard, or the other non-numerical games.

Skyrim is Skyrim. I played through the MQ and DB quest line once. I became heavily invested in exploring and modding for a couple of years, but after that spell wore off, it never really came back. Whenever I play it now, I play it with Requiem.

>> No.5474172

>>5464891
Just install an instant hit mod, you pleb.

Oh and if you do, it works both ways so the enemies will perform instant hits too.

>> No.5474215

>>5473830
Oh yes requiem i gotta give that another try.
I mainly think it's somewhat annoying with all the one hit KOs from archers, though i'm not sure if this was changed in one of the later releases?

I undersand the maker is going for realism and difficulty, but it's a bit annoying having to zig zag everywhere anytime i see an archer aiming at me

>> No.5474251

>>5471751
>>this game is unsatisfying and unfun to play
fucking pleb every time

>> No.5475281

At first, it was fun. The world seemed huge, and it was scary groping around for loot and exit in a totally dark tower, then I would jump when a goblin spawned right behind me and vocalized.
Then quickly I discovered how shallow the world is. And after some levels, I had magic absorb and reflect spells, shield spell, and light spell that I could sustain perpetually, because magic potion is very cheap and limitless. Since my character was now immortal, the game became a maze simulator. The dungeons were huge and it was extremely tedious to walk through it all. That was around 30% into the game. I tried to force myself to finish the game. I made it to 70% before I quit in frustration and deleted the game and save.
The riddles were the best part. I spent two days to figure out the one about the golden fountain in the ivory hall.
I originally skipped Daggerfall because I read that it had huge mazes also, but I'm playing through it now and it's not so bad because I can sprint through them quickly.

>> No.5475282

man this thread is full of rpgcodex fags

>> No.5475562

>>5463867
because nobody cares about elder scrolls before morrowind and the series didn't become mainstream until skyrim.

and everyone forgot oblivion existed.

>> No.5475616

>>5475562
Hey, Oblivion is the gift that keeps on giving. Even 13 years later it's still a playable meme generator.

>> No.5475802

>>5475562
>the series didn't become mainstream until skyrim.
Were you not playing games in 2006?

>> No.5475820

God look at that cover art, that aesthetic was so fucking good. I miss it bros...

>> No.5475885

>>5475562
imagine being this zoomer

>> No.5475919

>>5475820
>bikini armor

>> No.5475996

>>5475820
>art that looks nothing like the in-game assets

>> No.5476751

>>5475919
It's like they predicted the mod community that would come 17 years later.

>> No.5476930

>>5475919
Don't go full SJW or I strangle your with my dick.

>> No.5477373

>>5475919
yeah its so fucking good, full of SOUL

>> No.5477950

>>5475281
could be a description of any Bethesda game desu

>> No.5477960
File: 39 KB, 640x480, the-terminator-future-shock_21.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Bethesda games are ba-

>> No.5480064

>>5463867
I remember 10 years ago, I was at a flea market and a guy had a huge cardboard box filled with nothing but classic PC games in their original big boxes, including the entire early Bethesda collection. I honestly thought that I had hit the motherlode...

...Until I noticed that all of the titles were waterlogged. You couldn't even pry a few of the boxes apart, that's how bad it was. The box must've been stored in a basement and the basement had flooded. I was absolutely ripped. I could've gotten the entire early Bethesda collection up through Morrowind for $50 bucks. I will never get that opportunity ever again.

>> No.5481320

Arena wasn't too bad. Not really one of my favorite titles, but at the same time it also felt like a practical game outside of a few issues. Spamming for rumors was not fun, plus memory errors prevent you from doing anything but save scumming. Regardless, it has a nice charm to it and the more you play it, the more you can sort of get used to the pattern.

Daggerfall is complete shit in comparison. Less save slots. Images everywhere instead of text, meaning more scrolling. More convoluted systems that didn't work as well, such as dialogue menus. Mazes being more repetitive and generic. The 3d map. The barren world. Wall climbing and how clunky that system is. Potions being far more limited. Rare items being based on level, meaning you reach a point where you get constant Daedric gear and too rich to care about quests. Falling out of the map. It is filled with ideas, sure, but none of them really work well.

Morrowind is also not really that fun. Unlike the earlier games, it is all a static world, meaning everything becomes too predictable. You know where every item will be, where the valuable stuff is hidden, and even where every enemy will spawn. You stop losing suspense as you just deal with the occasional annoying cliff racer. You get so powerful so quick that the game feels like a walking simulator with a bunch of talking encyclopedias. Every person suddenly has a bunch of text and getting the flow for how to approach it can be a pain. Explore everywhere, it gets tiresome due to how lacking in variety it is. Don't explore, you don't get sidequests. Ignore some blue text, you miss out on missions, but most is the same old stuff. Unlike the older, there are mods, but due to the limits of the engine you rarely see anything that isn't just a clothing shop, delivery quest line, or overpowered ring.

Oblivion actually feels better than Morrowind. Set the game to difficulty 100, enemies are more dangerous than difficulty 100 (which was an afterthought) in Morrowind.

>> No.5481349

>>5464172
>skip Oblivion
>play skyrim and morrrowind LARP combat
Neck yourself new /v/irgin nigger
talking shit about oblivion in old 4chan would render a visit to your home followed by 15 days of assrape.

Mainly when mods and sexmods were involved

>> No.5481351

>>5464903
lol fuck you, Oblivion's combat system was far miles better than skyrim.
Atleast you had techniques and specializations, Skyrim is just Larping with weapons.

>> No.5481409

>>5477950
I played a bit of Morrowind and Daggerfall and the experiences are much more rich. Books alone add so much to the world. You have incentives to do sidequests and explore the world. I don't even remember there being factions or guilds in arena.

>> No.5481558

daggerfall was limited by being too ambitious for the absoulute shit budget bethesda had at the time

>> No.5482108

>>5481349
Yet if you ask someone else they'll say "/v/ always hated Oblivion, what happened?"

it's almost as if Oblivion is a divisive game and always has been and as if 4chan is not one person

>> No.5482115

>>5482108
newfags were never here during those days, most of the "oblivon and morrowind meme hate" comes from banned redditors from /r/games or kids.

Oblivion and /v/lancer were gold

>> No.5482138

>>5463867
Yes. It's hard to say its my favorite, but it has a few advantages over Daggerfall, namely, towns feel much more alive and dungeons more spooky.

Arena's towns are littered with tiny details: puddles of water that actually reflect the sky. Laundry hanging out to dry between buildings, etc... The presence of many animated NPCs: Street performers (fire breathers, jugglers), preaching monks, a hooded thug in an ally add a lot to the feeling that the town is "alive". Beyond the walls is wilderness that actually has features to it besides trees and dungeons. Large cities are surrounded by farms and smaller settlements, as would have been the case for many large medieval cities. It adds a sense of authenticity to the world. Daggerfall, by comparison, lacks most of these things in its towns, which is unfortunate. Although, the fact that you can walk from town to town in Daggerfall is amazing.

Furthermore, Arena's main quest dungeons had far greater visual variety to them compared to Daggerfall's. All of Daggerfall's dungeons use the same five or six texture sets across all of its dungeons. Once You've since privateers hold, you've seen about 30% of all dungeons. By comparison, the Imperial Sewers are distinct in their appearance from the Ice Fortress, which is distinct in its appears from the Fang Lair. Most of the dungeons also have dark and sp00ky lighting, instead of the boring, high ambient light level of Daggerfall's dungeons. As a bonus, dungeons are two dimensional mazes instead of three dimensional spaghetti which makes navigating them much easier. Arena has some of the best dungeon crawling in the series to be desu.

>> No.5483707

>>5482138
Agreed. The dungeons in Daggerfall just made no sense and broke the immersion. I mean, they were just miles and miles of incoherent shit. One could have made sense as the construct of some powerful and utterly mad wizard. But every single one of them? Fuck that.

>> No.5483719

>>5482108
>4chan isn't one person
Stop that, I don't like your sound logic

>> No.5483724

>>5468706
>gameplay
If a game is good it must have good gameplay, whatever the reasons are. people throw this term like it means immediate "action input".

>> No.5483731

>>5475562
>everyone forgot oblivion existed
In terms of recent internet meme culture it's the most relevant and featured game in the series you old man

>> No.5483874
File: 3.00 MB, 852x480, gameplay.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5481320
Game difficulty was also an afterthought in Oblivion. It's not a legitimate difficulty setting which changes anything meaningful; it's a multiplier. One of the worst I've ever seen if taken the wrong way. It's just something which they let go all the way up to 6x damage took and 1/6 damage dealt, and 6x damage dealt and 1/6 took at the bottom. "Just in case" for whatever the player needs from their game.

The game is still an easy sandbox of whatever you make it. At 100 difficulty it just turns into a surrealist parallel universe where the laws of physics and nature are different, where daedric warhammers are actually made of rubber, and the way you're supposed to kill things is with poisons, summons, and spell stacking. These laws only apply to the player of course, and the entire setup is not in any way intended game design (like a lot of oblivion). All non combat skills are completely unaffected by the slider, so you can still walk past everything with sneak, invisibility, demoralize, paralyze, calm, turn undead should you please to. Becoming invulnerable with 100 resist magic and 100 reflect damage is also there, or 85 shield, and of course the infamous 100 chameleon shortcut is also there (which wasn't insta-invincibility in morrowind). Even with this, a fight with a random mob can still take several minutes if you decide to swing your weapon at it, ignoring the fact you're playing a computer program where physical weapons take approximately 100+ swings to kill. Alternatively, you can apply a poison or spell stack and watch an enemy die in seconds.