Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 60 KB, 1980x400, logo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5431585 No.5431585 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Why is the input in this program so shit? Default hotkeys are mapped to the same keys as emulator hotkeys and it's impossible to remap them for an individual core.

Have any of the developers ever used their own piece of shit software?

>> No.5431586

>>5431585
>Have any of the developers ever used their own piece of shit software?
This has never happened, in general, for 99% of all code ever written.

>> No.5431637

>>5431585
It's awesome once you set it up.
I use it for various consoles with different aspect ratios and shaders.
You can also use launch commands with shortcuts which lets you boot up games without going to the emulator and picking them from there.
It works like any other exe file, I even make little icons for the shortcuts, it's great and saves time.

>> No.5431639

>>5431637
Except it isn't. MAME games are literally unusable without manually remapping every input

>> No.5431641

>>5431639
Doesn't MAME have its own frontend? Isn't that literally the whole point of MAME?

>> No.5431665

>>5431641
If you're supposed to use a separate program for just arcade games then why dont you just use separate programs for every console

>> No.5431717

>>5431641
You can even access MAME's internal menu through retroarch.

>> No.5431741

>>5431717
It can only be accessed from within a game and sets the internal menu resolution to the game resolution, which means 9 times out of 10 means it's completely unreadable.

And that still doesnt solve the issue of the Retroarch hotkeys overriding the Mame hotkeys so you still have to manually remap every input

>> No.5431747

I feel like it's meant for the kind of person who doesn't mind spending a bunch of time on forums and editing config files to get the experience they want. You're right that for the average person it's a clusterfuck especially when it comes to binding inputs. Just stick to standalone emulators if it bothers you that much.

>> No.5431789

>>5431585
>Why is the input in this program so shit? Default hotkeys are mapped to the same keys as emulator hotkeys and it's impossible to remap them for an individual core.
If that's your biggest problem with it, I'd say it's doing a fine job still considering all the other things that are possible with it. I personally don't rely so much on hotkeys. Also, remap files are possible on a global, platform, emulator or per game basis.

>>5431639
>Except it isn't. MAME games are literally unusable without manually remapping every input
MAME core is the only core I avoid like that plague most of the time. You're going through a multi-platform emulator frontend to boot a multi-platform emulator. At some point it becomes a problem.

>>5431717
It becomes rather complicated if you want some of the more advanced features of MAME to work. Like a stable remapper based on hardware ID - which I recommend to EVERY MAME user to learn about. Just use stand-alone if you have an involved MAME setup. If you only have a few titles might as well use the libretro core for shader fun.

>>5431747
This is also true. But not surprising given the nature of the project, no? Editing config files in Notepad isn't really necessary though. 99% of settings can be accessed through the menu (XMB).

>> No.5431807

>>5431789
Remapping HOTKEYS is not possible. You can remap inputs but you cant remap stuff like the menu toggle in a remap file

>> No.5431819

>>5431807
Can you name an example where you run into this issue?

>> No.5431838
File: 1.38 MB, 960x540, 2019-03-12 23-12-02.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>5431807
Motherfucker what does this look like to you?

>> No.5431857

>>5431838
That's not what we're talking about you dumb bastard.

>>5431819
By default the Retroarch menu toggle key is set to F1. This is also a system key in MAME. While you can change the menu toggle to another key globally as retard >>5431838 here pointed out, you cannot change that hotkey exclusively for MAME while maintaining the default behavior elsewhere using the MAME core remap file.

You cannot create a

>> No.5431974 [DELETED] 

>>5431838
If you can't figure out a satisfactory solution to asimple key bind conflict when you can effectifely rebind ALL the keys involved - every single one! - then you are just not using your brain all that much. And who wants the hotkeys of a fully unified emulator frontend to constantly change depending on what core is loaded anyway? Defeats the purpose of a unified setup, no? This might very well be the most retarded feature request / rant I have ever read. I'm serious. Dismissing all of RetroArch under the pretext of this tiny personal issue of yours is frankly ridiculous. But I'm not suprised in the least, seeing as you immediately resolve to insulting and cussing in your posts. It's rather typical. Grow up, kid.

>> No.5431978

>>5431857
If you can't figure out a satisfactory solution to asimple key bind conflict when you can effectifely rebind ALL the keys involved - every single one! - then you are just not using your brain all that much. And who wants the hotkeys of a fully unified emulator frontend to constantly change depending on what core is loaded anyway? Defeats the purpose of a unified setup, no? This might very well be the most retarded feature request / rant I have ever read. I'm serious. Dismissing all of RetroArch under the pretext of this tiny personal issue of yours is frankly ridiculous. But I'm not suprised in the least, seeing as you immediately resolve to insulting and cussing in your posts. It's rather typical. Grow up, kid.

>> No.5431989

>>5431974
You can remind retroarchs keys even if confirm/ cancel corresponds to x or o but you have to do it in a cfg file, theres no ui for it.

>> No.5432028

>>5431585
>Why
A unique blend of autism and retardation with a dash of insanity

>> No.5432032

>>5431978

>Defeats the purpose of a unified setup, no?
Not when the "unified" settings are conflicting with the built in settings of the core. In fact theres even more reason for piecemeal customization in a "unified setup" because it preserves global behaviors while allowing for the handling of individual edge cases. Defending shipping a program that's flat out broken on the basis of "w...well you can change it" is fucking retarded

>"cussing"
Are you a fucking toddler? Come back when you're 18.

>> No.5432054

>>5432032
Very well. I shall return the day I turn 18 whereat we will finish this debate.

>> No.5432061
File: 85 KB, 577x432, kebop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>5432032
>Are you a fucking toddler? Come back when you're 18.

>> No.5432114

>>5432054
enjoy your ban

>> No.5432119

>>5432114
Dang it you really are a tard, aren't you? I'm sorry.

>> No.5432125

I'd rather use the MAME libretro core just because at least I'm not dealing with some mad input lag that will make fighting games unplayable.

>> No.5432312

>>5431585
you can, get used to core/game overrides
and then editing the actual text files because core overrides don't always save properly due to retroarch feature bloat

they really need to condense all the options now. like one saving method shouldn't have to compete with another

>> No.5432325

>>5431857
Can't you just change it before playing mame, and switch it back after? Or even change it to something totally different so you don't have to remap it again?

>> No.5432342

>>5431747
I like to dig into configs, settings, etc. but why would I want to have all these emulators for systems I'll never play? If I want to emulate a system I get into finding out which of the dedicated emulators for that system is the best, then let me dig into configs.

>> No.5432787

>>5431585
>connect xbone controller to retroarch
>bind it to the proper buttons
>uh oh B is select option and A is go back
>fiddle through the menus, eventually find a "switch A/B and X/Y" option
>it talks about how off is the "japanese layout" and on is the "international layout" even though that's only for playstation, a device that doesn't have A/B buttons
>fuck the dev's autism, toggle it to on anyways
>A and B now do what they are supposed to
>close retroarch later on
>reopen it
>see that the option I just toggled is set to off, yet A and B still function properly
No, they clearly don't test their own software

>> No.5432812

Most of my hate is directed at its lack of diagonals.

>> No.5432845

>>5432787
>it talks about how off is the "japanese layout" and on is the "international layout" even though that's only for playstation, a device that doesn't have A/B buttons

And the SNES, and DS/3DS and Switch.

Actually everything except Xbox and Dreamcast.

>> No.5432886

>>5431585
Fuck retroarch, standalones or get fucked

>> No.5432897

>>5432845
What, even the MD/Genesis? Even the Saturn???

>> No.5433146

Takes a fucking retard not to figure out these settings. Christ. Just take a little time and RTFM.

>> No.5433237

op is a nigger zoomer

>> No.5433286
File: 107 KB, 1304x713, mame vs retroarch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Retroarch is trash

>> No.5433421

>>5432342
>why would I want to have all these emulators for systems I'll never play
you choose the cores to download, and they all have the same interface so you lose less time configuring a new system
retroarch is not perfect in any way but these complaints are retarded

>> No.5433437

>>5433286
>the cores are just hacked up old versions that don't work
it's great that people save images like this and actually believe the shit in them

>> No.5433468

>>5433421
ok but even after doing some research about the most accurate emulators (the ones I'm interested in at least) out today, you hardly come up with some retroarch cores in the lists. being the kinda guy who wants to fuck around with high accuracy, there's no need to download this "standard" interface for various cores/emulators I don't want.

>> No.5433483

>>5431838
Speaking of which, there is no way to just delete a key and leave it blank, is there?
Unless they fixed that, but I remember accidentally assigning an important button on the D-pad as a hotkey and not being able to take it off afterwards, I had to change it to another button on the pad, because even if you set it to a key on the keyboard it just keeps both.

>> No.5433494

>>5433468
>most accurate emulators (the ones I'm interested in at least) out today, you hardly come up with some retroarch cores in the lists
any example?
for what I play nes, snes, megadrive, psx, gb, n64, ngc all use the best emulator available, what sort of niche platform do you want to emulate?
if arcade you should go mame anyway

>> No.5433736

disable the hotkeys and use a hotkey to enable the hotkeys

>> No.5433778

>>5432897
If you tilt your head a little and ignore Z and C then the Genesis and Saturn controllers have the same layout as Dreamcast and Xbox. The point is the program is half assed in such a way that it functionally saves the setting yet somehow visually does not

>> No.5433803
File: 47 KB, 571x595, 52762725_1843888512424581_5262557910265012303_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>5433778
I know that LB=Z and RB=C by way of the Xbox (which tried really hard to "replace" Sega after it died) but your post was worded as if Japanese Sega games use B to confirm and A to cancel and I really need to know if that's true

>> No.5433872

>>5433483
You've been able to do this for awhile anon

>> No.5433878

>>5433468
there's plenty of high-accuracy cores. what is it that you want to emulate?

>> No.5433921

>>5432787
>see that the option I just toggled is set to off, yet A and B still function properly
I swear, RetroArch being super anal about saving configs is one of its worst points. I don't know if it's because I'm using it mostly on other devices instead of a regular comp, but I always have a hard time with this.

One time when I first installed it on the Wii, I wanted to switch around the default and awkward B and A mapping on one of the NES cores, and it never worked, took me several hours to figure that you have to not only load the core for which you want to change the config, but also LOAD a game, or the config won't save. How the fuck is that intuitive? It doesn't even say that anywhere on the documentation, I had to figure it out for myself.

More recently, I installed it on the SNES Mini and was trying to set some hotkeys. I would load a random game, change the keys, save it from the menu, exit, come back, and they reverted back to the defaults again. Turns out apparently this function is just down right bugged on the current release and it's been that way forever, so if you wanna change those hotkeys, you have to dig into the config file and manually edit it on Notepad or whatever, like a fucking caveman. Excuse me, what? All the other settings save fine but you couldn't figure this one out for whatever reason?

>> No.5433936

>>5433921
When was the last time you attempted the mapping problem? Are you saying that you would remap, load the cores + game and it would revert to the default one?

I know for sure it's not like that now - there's options to save the config on exit or just load whatever one you last used, which makes it super simple. I know RA used to be a pain in the dick about inputs before but it's really come a long ways. I was surprised to download it again recently, plug in my DS4 (with ds4windows active) and i never needed to tinker with any of the inputs at all it auto did it for me.

>> No.5435394

>>5433803
They don't.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action