[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.68 MB, 4200x3033, Powerslave.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5413610 No.5413610 [Reply] [Original]

I am now deep into my first playthrough of the Sega Saturn version and have to say, so far it's been simply excellent.

While the combat itself isn't exactly its strong suit, the art and atmosphere, level and sound design as well as the progression are among the best from that era. But don't get me wrong. It handles well enough - for an FPS without any analogue sticks. And there's some nice camera sway going on when you turn and strafe, that gives movement a unique feel (think Turok 2 maybe?). It's just that the auto aim can screw you over on occasion. What really sets it apart from other shooters is the interconnected world map. Levels often have multiple exits, many of which require specific character upgrades for you to reach them. The same goes for hidden items and collectibles. You can revisit any level you have previously traveled through. Oh, and there's rocket jumping. Or rather, grenade jumping. Which is the cooler of the two anyway, right?

So, who else has played this? I hear the PSX and PC versions are quite different (read: inferior) from the Saturn one. I remember seeing the box art on store shelves back in the day but never really took much notice. Totally under the radar all this time.

>> No.5413625

>>5413610
is there a source port for this game because I've been wanting to play this

>> No.5413628

Yes.

>> No.5413637

>>5413625
I haven't finished it yet but so far I have had no issues emulating it using Mednafen's Saturn core.

>> No.5413640

>>5413610

I just finished my play through on the Saturn. I thought it was great for a doom styled game, great graphics sound and gameplay. Too bad it’s the best or near best FPS on Saturn and that it couldn’t handle better games like quake 2 or alien resurrection style. All Saturn FPS seem to feel like the older wolfebstein or Blake stone, but I guess that’s what the Saturn could handle

>> No.5413672 [DELETED] 

>>5413640
Don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to be blasphemous or anything, so let me finish before you answer... But I think you're underselling the Saturn version when you compare it to the likes of Doom or Wolfenstein.

Sure, they're both great fucking games in their own right - or at least Doom is. But they're almost solely focused on combat and often considered the progenitors of the FPS genre.

Powerslave is, while also an FPS, much more focused on exploration, platforming, diving and sometimes backtracking too - it's almost an adventure game. Like a first-person OG Tomb Raider.

Technically it is quite a bit above the Doom as engine as well, which couldn't even stack rooms on top of each other. It's more on the level of Build engine games (Duke Nukem 3D, Blood etc.).

>> No.5413675

>>5413640
Don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to be blasphemous or anything, so let me finish before you answer... But I think you're underselling the Saturn version when you compare it to the likes of Doom or Wolfenstein.

Sure, they're both great fucking games in their own right - or at least Doom is. But they're almost solely focused on combat and often considered the progenitors of the FPS genre. Powerslave is, while also an FPS, much more focused on exploration, platforming, diving and sometimes backtracking too - it's almost an adventure game. Like a first-person OG Tomb Raider. Technically it is quite a bit above the Doom as engine as well, which couldn't even stack rooms on top of each other. It's more on the level of Build engine games (Duke Nukem 3D, Blood etc.).

>> No.5413678

>>5413640
>better games like quake 2 or alien resurrection
Uh, really?
Neither is better than Powerslave. Especially Quake 2, as it's mostly good as high-speed MP arena shooter and a base for modifications, neither of which can really be done on the consoles, or at least /vr/ related consoles with a possible exception of Dreamcast.
>All Saturn FPS seem to feel like the older wolfebstein or Blake stone, but I guess that’s what the Saturn could handle
I'm not sure why you feel that Saturn versions of Powerslave, Duke Nukem 3D and Quake are akin to pre-1993 PC shooters. Maybe you had Bloodshot and Zero Tolerance on your mind, but those are Genesis games, not Saturn ones.

>> No.5413681 [DELETED] 

this is probably one of those shooters better played on a controller. i tried the port on windows and it didn't feel right. same with turok.

>> No.5413684

>>5413675
>Powerslave is, while also an FPS, much more focused on exploration, platforming, diving and sometimes backtracking too
So you mean that it's a Metroid Prime before Metroid Prime was made?

>> No.5413695

>>5413610
>I hear the PSX and PC versions are quite different (read: inferior) from the Saturn one.
PSX, yes, as it's a version with simplified level design meant to prevent bigger slowdowns than ones that it has
PC version is just a different game that uses the same graphics and plot. It's not as good as console game, but pretty good.
>>5413625
No.

>> No.5413712

>>5413678
>Uh, really?
>Neither is better than Powerslave. Especially Quake 2
I wasn't really sure if that's what was meant. So I didn't comment on that. But you're absolutely right.

>>5413684
>So you mean that it's a Metroid Prime before Metroid Prime was made?
Certainly describes it better than "first-person OG Tomb Raider" lol

>> No.5413713

>>5413610
Powerslave PC is pretty much Powerslave 1, Powerslave Saturn is pretty much Powerslave 2. They share a pool of art assets though. Gameplay-wise they differ, however in a way similar to how Turok 1 and 2 differ, although also accounting for a completely different engine.
Powerslave PC is on an early version of Build engine, and it plays sort of like a crossover between Heretic (although clunkier) and Dark Forces. What elevates it to something noteworthy, apart from the aesthetics you have already experienced anyway, is that a lot of the maps in the game are Seriously Good, although the game suffers somewhat from a "shareware syndrome" putting some of the best and most intricate maps in the game in its first third, in order to create a very favorable first impression, and then seriously cranks on the maps that are nowhere near this well detailed or varied in their intended playstyle, as those initial maps were, in its, more or less, second half.

>> No.5413718

I finished it on PS1 and then got the Saturn version. The Saturn version is so much worse it's baffling how Digital Foundry though it was better.
>worse resolution, you can't see shit in front of you
>much worse framerate
>slippery controls. Ps1 is more precise
>useless flamethrower
>worse autoaim

>> No.5413908

>>5413718
The autoaim is better and the framerate is worse because the maps are more complex.

>> No.5413968

>>5413908
PS1 also lacks bomb jump. It's not possible.

>> No.5414013

>>5413610
I love this game. The level design is fantastic, the magic abilities are fun to use, the bosses are above average (for a 90s fps), everything is just so solid. You should try the Powerslave EX port someday, you can play with dual analog or kb&m (much better than PS1 or Saturn controls).

>> No.5414032

>>5413684
Metroid Prime isn't an FPS.

>> No.5414057 [DELETED] 

>>5413675
>It's more on the level of Build engine games (Duke Nukem 3D, Blood etc.).

The PC version of PowerSlave/ Exhumed uses the Build engine, and it is a completely different game from the Saturn version. The big difference is that the Saturn version uses a custom game engine developed by Lobotomy Software called "The Slave Driver" engine, which actually is a fully 3D engine (well, it uses quads) that allows for rooms over rooms and horizontal level design. I would say that the Saturn version is much closer to Quake. Quake was actually ported to the Sega Saturn by Lobotomy Software using the Slave Driver engine. So was Duke Nukem 3D, for that matter.

The PC version of Powerslave/ Exhumed is much more straight forward game, you basically just go from level to level. The Saturn version does have an exploration element, with a map screen that lets you revisit maps, there is also a bit of a "Metroid" element, as you can find items and revisit maps to unlock new areas.

The PS1 version is a port of the Saturn game. The framerate is higher on the PS1 version and can reach up to 60fps in some cases. But the level design has been hacked up a bit. Still a good game, but I prefer the Saturn version, myself. Also the PS1 port was re-ported to the PC by Nightdive studios a a couple years ago. They released a fully playable beta of it online and I bet it can still be found if you do a search for it. But there may have been some legal reasons that prevented them from selling the port.

>> No.5414067

>>5413675
>It's more on the level of Build engine games (Duke Nukem 3D, Blood etc.).

The PC version of PowerSlave/ Exhumed uses the Build engine, and it is a completely different game from the Saturn version. The big difference is that the Saturn version uses a custom game engine developed by Lobotomy Software called "The Slave Driver" engine, which actually is a fully 3D engine (well, it uses quads) that allows for rooms over rooms and vertical level design with lots of platforming. I would say that the Saturn version is much closer to Quake. Quake was actually ported to the Sega Saturn by Lobotomy Software using the Slave Driver engine. So was Duke Nukem 3D, for that matter.

The PC version of Powerslave/ Exhumed is much more straight forward game, you basically just go from level to level. The Saturn version does have an exploration element, with a map screen that lets you revisit maps, there is also a bit of a "Metroid" element, as you can find items and revisit maps to unlock new areas.

The PS1 version is a port of the Saturn game. The framerate is higher on the PS1 version and can reach up to 60fps in some cases. But the level design has been hacked up a bit. Still a good game, but I prefer the Saturn version, myself. Also the PS1 port was re-ported to the PC by Nightdive studios a a couple years ago. They released a fully playable beta of it online and I bet it can still be found if you do a search for it. But there may have been some legal reasons that prevented them from selling the port.

>> No.5414070 [DELETED] 

Yeah, the Saturn version seems somewhere in between Quake and Duke Nukem 3D technically. All the objects, enemies, plants etc. are sprite based like in Duke Nukem while the world is 3D like in Quake. I imagine the game pushes the Saturn's capabilities quite a bit.

>> No.5414073

>>5414067
Yeah, the Saturn version seems somewhere in between Quake and Duke Nukem 3D technically. All the objects, enemies, plants etc. are sprite based like in Duke Nukem while the world is 3D like in Quake. I imagine the game pushes the Saturn's capabilities quite a bit.

>> No.5414087

>>5414067
It's funny, the PC version literally is a Build game, but it doesn't really feel like any of the classic Build games. It doesn't use any of the advanced features like slopes, translucent walls, simulated room over room, and so on. It feels more like a Doom engine game but with more expansive level design. Although, oddly enough, some hackers discovered that the engine actually is capable of slopes - the devs just never used it for some reason.

>> No.5414157

Soundtrack's pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8L_o2XPza0

>> No.5414179

>>5414067
> actually is a fully 3D engine (well, it uses quads)

quads don't make it any less 3d

>> No.5414335
File: 1009 KB, 1441x928, POWERSLAVEEX.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5414067
>Also the PS1 port was re-ported to the PC by Nightdive studios a a couple years ago. They released a fully playable beta of it online and I bet it can still be found if you do a search for it.

I just did a search for it, and found the last beta they released. Power Slave EX is a port of the PS1 game for Windows PC, but I am running it on WINE through Linux. It has PC and mouse controls as well as game pad support. Definitely worth looking for.

>> No.5414338

>>5414179
>quads don't make it any less 3d

No it does not. It's just being rendered differently. I agree that the game feels like a cross between Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

>> No.5414718

>>5413908
In my experience the autoaim is worse, especially with the machinegun.
While the PS1 has simpler levels, it still has way higher framerate in similar structures as the Saturn, and I'll take the smoother fps anyday.

>> No.5415485

i absolutely love the sound design of this game. every sound is pleasant to hear even the machinegun, it made me realize how much it's important in a game and how often it's bad

>> No.5415663

>>5414718
saturn targets 30fps while ps1 targets 60. Both versions tend to drop to 20fps at times. There is nothing smooth about dropping half your target fps.

>> No.5415674
File: 34 KB, 320x200, RUIN0005_zpsdvvdzysk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

gun fights in the PS1 version feels like shit. There is no impact whatsoever. Saturn version as it best.

Stay away from EX... Let's put it like this:
- original Saturn game
- got recreated on a different engine on PS1 and already lost a lot in the translation. Still worth playing because of the different level design in 3-4 levels, but overall much worse; the only thing handled better was the Team Dolls which are completely optional
- EX is recreation of the PS1 version, a recreation of the recreation, loses even more in the process and adds new glitches etc

You can play the original game, or you can play the chinese bootleg version based on a recreation of that original game.

>> No.5415687

This thread has some fun bits of info here and there if you're bored:
https://forums.duke4.net/topic/8655-powerslaveexhumed-general-discussion/

>> No.5415808

>>5415663
The Saturn runs at a less than acceptable framerate far more often than the PS1. Even with some drops, the PS1 version is much more enjoyable and easier on the eyes.

>> No.5415824

>>5415808
It plays like shit

>> No.5415929

>>5415808
Funny you say that, I've had the opposite experience. The PS1 version lags all the time while it's very consistent on Saturn.

>> No.5416047

I assume many of you have already seen it but I'm linking the DF Retro episode on the game anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCsO8O4W4Fw

>> No.5416620

Man, analog stick support on Mednafen's Saturn core is totally FUCKED. Crazy drift going on there on the latest stand alone as well as the RetroArch core. In RetroArch you can set the dead zones but even with value cranked up to the max it's impossible to to walk in a straight line in Powerslave. It only helps in the sense that you're not moving around while the controller is sitting on you desk untouched. That's have fuckerd it is. Super sensitive. Tested this on a Dualshock 3 and X360 controller.

Has anyone else experienced this before? It's very annoying. Playing this game with all digital inputs just isn't as fun, as you kickstart to ~80 mph.

>> No.5416718

> ps1 fags can't appreciate one of the few good saturn fps

we already know you won can you at least give us this

>> No.5416997

>>5416620
I bought a 3d pad to play lobo games with. I live in PAL so analogue controls aren't supported in Exhumed but it dose for duke and quake. Play awfully with analogue controls. As you stated, straight lines are out of the question and the famous "jevons" control are crap aswell as letting go of the stick snaps the y axis back to 0.

>> No.5417051

>>5416997
You're saying this issue is present on original hardware as well?

>> No.5417080

>>5413610
I remember a bug in the last lava stage: using the camel right at the start unlocks the level after.
You still have to do the level if you want to 100% the game.

>> No.5417137 [DELETED] 

>>5416997
>the famous "jevons" control are crap aswell as letting go of the stick snaps the y axis back to 0.

The Jevons control scheme was named after Dan Jevons, who worked at Die Hard GameFan magazine under the name "Knightmare". I believe he suggested in a magazine article ( probably have the issue too) that Lobotomy should add a "Turok" like control scheme to Lobotomy's later games using the Saturn's 3D pad. Lobotomy added it in as a secret code for Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. I always thought it was a bit weird that it was included as a cheat and not something that was easily accessible from the options menu.

But, one of the more interesting secrets of the Saturn game were the hidden "power dolls" which were little voodoo dolls of the game developers. Find them all in the game and unlock the secret 7-player multiplayer game Death Tank. Finding all the Power Dolls was one of the biggest challenges in the game.

>> No.5417142

>>5416997
>the famous "jevons" control are crap aswell as letting go of the stick snaps the y axis back to 0.

The Jevons control scheme was named after Dan Jevons, who worked at Die Hard GameFan magazine under the name "Knightmare". I believe he suggested in a magazine article ( probably have the issue too) that Lobotomy should add a "Turok" like control scheme to their later games using the Saturn's 3D pad. Lobotomy added it in as a secret code for Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. I always thought it was a bit weird that it was included as a cheat and not something that was easily accessible from the options menu.

But, one of the more interesting secrets of the Saturn game were the hidden "power dolls" which were little voodoo dolls of the game developers. Find them all in the game and unlock the secret 7-player multiplayer game Death Tank. Finding all the Power Dolls was one of the biggest challenges in the game.

>> No.5417886

>>5413625
Powerstone EX for now. There is a fan patch to fix Windows 10 compatibility. https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/1218-powerslave-ex-fix/

The dev who deleted this source port is now making an official one for Night Dive studios, so I suspect pretty soon we'll have a new and improved release of this source port...probably under a different name.

>> No.5417903

>>5417886
>The dev who deleted this source port is now making an official one for Night Dive studios, so I suspect pretty soon we'll have a new and improved release of this source port...probably under a different name.

lol, it's not going to happen

Why do you think they announced it publicly and then backed off ? They don't have the rights to it.
They grabbed the trademark because it was up for grabs, but that just means they have the rights to use the name Powerslave, that doesn't mean they have the rights to the IP or any version of the game.
It's what Nightdive does, they're crooks. Even their Blood 'remaster' is on the verge of legality.

>> No.5418103

>>5417080
Interesting. Couldn't have posted it at a better time, too. Pretty sure I just got to that level yesterday and decided to call it quits. So my save file is sitting at that exact spot. I'll try and see if I can reproduce this bug.

>>5416997
>>5417142
So the Jevons control scheme is an unofficial term that refers specifically to a Saturn layout implementation? Never heard of it before. But I'm also not very familiar with the Saturn.

>> No.5418117

>>5418103
>>5417080
Speedrunner here. This bug is only in the PAL Saturn version of the game. Not in the NTSC-U version, not in the NTSC-J, not in the PS1 versions.

>> No.5418130

>>5418117
Oh, okay. Thanks. I initially started out on the PAL version for the first half hour or so, as that was what I had. But RetroArch was showing the dreaded 50 fps. Fuck that! Never going back to those days.

>> No.5418136

>>5418130
The PAL Saturn version, and unlike the PS1 PAL version, is optimized to run at the correct speed though, even at 50FPS.
Only the timing of the revolver and the machine gun differ and have a bit slower firing rate. Everything else is correct.

The PAL version also has some extra level design differences, less HP/AMMO refills, and a couple of exclusive glitches.
All in all it makes it the most difficulty version, but actually the fastest to speedrun.

NTSC-J version, despite being released later than the PAL version, is identical to the NTSC-U version, doesn't have the changes of the PAL version; except for the fact that it's the only version which gives more Cobra Staff ammo (iirc it's 25 instead of 20)

>> No.5418138

>>5418130
I mean, of course it's not actually running at 60 fps now. Hell, game does not maintain 30 fps in many instances. But the PAL version definitely runs even slower - at least when using Mednafen.

>> No.5418151

>>5418136
Aah, see I definitely noticed the difference in the firing rate of the revolver right away as you pick it right at the beginning of the game. I saw the 50 fps, loaded the NTSC-U, saw it registering 60 fps and the revolver sealed the deal. I thought turning felt smoother as well but that was probably just my imagination then as you seem to know the game pretty well.

>> No.5418189

>>5418117
>>5418136
What's your PB running the game by the way?

>> No.5418397
File: 797 KB, 1668x2162, 001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5418103
>So the Jevons control scheme is an unofficial term that refers specifically to a Saturn layout implementation? Never heard of it before. But I'm also not very familiar with the Saturn.

No, it only refers to a hidden control scheme that is accessed via a cheat code for Quake and Duke Nukem 3D on the Sega Saturn, which were ported by Lobotomy Software. The control scheme basically emulates Turok on the N64. The name "Jevons" came from this issue of Game Fan mahazine, where an editor by the name of Dan Jevons did an interview with Lobotomy games about Quake and Duke Nukem 3D. He asked one of the developed if they could put in a "Turok" like control scheme that would take advantage of the Sega Saturn 3D game pad. and the developer said something like "we'll see". They hid it as a weird secret.

Whole magazine is here on the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/Gamefan_Vol_5_Issue_05/page/

>> No.5418518

>>5418397
Nice. You dug it up. I'll have a look inside later.

>> No.5418592

>>5418189
25m27s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nfxUZqHWcw

I'm using bomb jumping, the kamel glitch which is PAL only, and also a couple of other exploits including using pot explosions and sprites to push myself to higher places. Pot explosion is like with bombs but requires an even better timing.
Also the game is programmed so that you get pushed back if you jump on top of a sprite (props or enemies), but you can use it to push yourself forward. Then, the game is programmed so that if you fall down a ledge, you have the chance to push yourself back up. I combine the two to reach higher ground and do skips.
Once you get the bomb all those tricks are useless though.

None of these things are possible in the PS1 verison, however I did find a couple of tricks that would allow me to beat the current PS1 speedrun; however it'd still take 1h at least to beat the game in that version

>>5418397
Very nice, didn't know about this interview

>> No.5418704

>>5418592
That is your run?! Cool. Actually took a glance at it before but since I am on my first playthrough, I didn't want to spoil myself. Saw you use a pot explosion to reach that first life upgrade early tough.

>>5417142
>Finding all the Power Dolls was one of the biggest challenges in the game.
Yeah, they seem well hidden. That one room in Thoth Treasure Reliquary that contains two dolls requires 4 grenades to get in, collect and get back out again. Those are the only dolls I have found so far.

Addendum to the dead zone issue:
I found that it is actually possible to remap the controls in a way that circumvents the dead zone issue and therefore allows for precise fully analog controls in RetroArch. But it is less than ideal anyway. Basically you can not have two axes mapped to one analog stick like you would normally expect to be possible. They interfere with each other because of the non existent dead zones. For example, if you run straight you'll start turning when you don't want to. The solution is to seperately map the movement axes to two different sticks - which takes some getting used to to say the least:

- Left stick = Move forward & backward
- Right stick = Turn left & right
- Trigger buttons = Strafe left & right

Oh and of course you have to set the input method to "3dpad" insteal of the default "gamepad" or whatever it's called.

>> No.5419219

>>5417051
Yes. If you watch gameplay videos of people playing lobo games with 3d controller, you will notice that they can never walk straight forward. Always veering a little left or right.

>> No.5419226

>>5418136
I heard somewhere that the reason why PAL saturn games where lacking features was that it had to be submitted to sega of europe earlier, despite the fact the games were technically unfinished.

>> No.5419264 [DELETED] 

>>5419219
>Yes. If you watch gameplay videos of people playing lobo games with 3d controller, you will notice that they can never walk straight forward. Always veering a little left or right.

That must have been a real bummer if you bought one of those controllers back then, I imagine. Likewise I have to partially redact my previous statement from this post >>5418704 That method is not a 100% fix but it greatly reduces stick drift on my controllers. To the point where you might not even notice it happening anymore most of the time. Very slight. But it's still there sometimes. Initially I thought the emulator was to blame. I wouldn't have guessed it happens on the original machine as well.

>> No.5419271

>>5419219
>Yes. If you watch gameplay videos of people playing lobo games with 3d controller, you will notice that they can never walk straight forward. Always veering a little left or right.

That must have been a real bummer if you bought one of those controllers back then. Likewise I have to partially redact my previous statement from this post >>5418704 That method is not a 100% fix but it greatly reduces stick drift on my controllers. To the point where you might not even notice it happening anymore most of the time. Very slight. But it's still there sometimes. Initially I thought the emulator was to blame. I wouldn't have guessed it happens on the original machine as well.

>> No.5419668
File: 2.94 MB, 560x404, Powerslave (Saturn).webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5413610
The nonlinear aspects of this game are the best part.

>> No.5419839

>>5413610
>I hear the PSX and PC versions are quite different (read: inferior)
Powerslave EX for the PC is the best version. Everything else is unplayable garbage by comparison.

Is this thread just full of underage /v/iggers? I would expect /vr/ to know about this.

>> No.5419860

>>5419839
If they were unplayable garbage nobody would have made powerslave ex

>> No.5420030
File: 75 KB, 640x637, 6252_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why is it the best version?

>> No.5420129
File: 2.17 MB, 4656x2620, P_20170808_154359_vHDR_Auto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love the game. EX is unfinished and inferior. The original on Saturn is excellent, the PS1 version is good. The DOS version sucks.

>> No.5420137

>>5413625

Powerslave EX, but its a clone of the PSX version of Powerslave so no fancy Saturn like lighting.

>> No.5420161

>>5420137
collision with the world geometry is also fucked up to the detriment of the game play.

>> No.5420508

>>5419860
>nobody would have completely reworked the game if the older versions were fine
HRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM

>> No.5420554

>>5419226
the PAL version was released after though, and actually has more stuff in some places.
But perhaps you have a point, perhaps you are right and, despite the NTSC version being released first, the stuff that isn't in the NTSC version was actually removed from the PAL version, for instance to give better framerate; and also added more HP/Ammo refills after getting more QA. This would also explain why the PAL version has those 2 extra glitches.

>>5419668
>not skipping directly over the level exit through the lava by using bomb jumping and without the required ability

see 19:30 in the video >>5418592

>> No.5420603

>>5420508
if they were unplayable nobody would have ever played them enough to get an interest in improving them

>> No.5420605

>>5420129
dos exhumed is a different game

>> No.5420726

>>5420554
Yeah, the WebM file size limit is just too small here on 4chan. The video already looks like ass at a mere 23 seconds of playtime - and I tweaked the hell out of it. Some games are very hard to get to look decent in these. I had to turn off the shader that you can see in the OP screenshots too.

Also, I actually couldn't to get over the second lava pit to the level exit because I tried to nade boost from the initial jump off and make it all the way in one go. That doesn't work at that spot as you probably know. The trajectory is off and does not carry you through the hole in the wall. That, and I'm on my first casual playthrough so I actually didn't want to veer off the path too far. Mainly just trying to make the game look nice. Cobra Staff Face-off! *ttsssssss*

>> No.5420740

>>5420726
>Also, I actually couldn't to get over the second lava pit to the level exit because I tried to nade boost from the initial jump off and make it all the way in one go. That doesn't work at that spot as you probably know. The trajectory is off and does not carry you through the hole in the wall

I'm doing it in the video but it's toughest bomb jump in the game. You have to make the jump just right at the start, go through the hole, and when you arrive at the end of the 2nd pit, use a bomb against the wall so it lifts you up.

in my speedrun I also don't acquire the p-up which protects against lava so any fail was death, I failed good runs a couple of times there

>> No.5420756

>>5420740
Oh, so that one is the run killer huh? I just to a look at the camel over there and went: "Yep, this is impossible." It didn't occur to me to try doing it your way. So in theory you could go for an extended amount of time without touching the ground by repeatedly nade jumping? I just assumed it only worked when first getting off the ground for some reason.

When was the last time you ran the game anyway? Do you do it on original hardware only?

>> No.5420767

>>5420756
I haven't done it since that video, it was a good run so I stopped there, to my knowledge I can only improve this run by about less than 1 min max and there are a lot of factors in play.

The run were done on a PAL Saturn but I also played the NTSC-U and NTSC-J version using Yabause emulator and it emulates perfectly afaik, the only difference is that the background screen during loading times don't show up