[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 122 KB, 220x267, 220px-Baldur's_Gate_box.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5402232 No.5402232 [Reply] [Original]

>been hearing great things about this game for decades
>recently wanna immerse myself in a videogame and decide to finally give it a shot
>takes me a while to set up my character but I'm hyped
>start of the game tells me to go around town getting tutorialed by some dudes
>ok whatever
>see a building 2 minutes later that says "PRIESTS HOUSE" or something
>ok let's go in
>dude asks me if I'm the protege of that lord
>say yes how can I help you
>he murders me
wow what a fucking masterpiece DROPPED

>> No.5402254

bomdog os goulty of a nombor of cromes

>> No.5402259

>>5402232
Let me guess.
You are playing a wizard with 4HP or less?

>> No.5402265

>>5402259
elf fighter, even removed a lot of my smart to put into physical stats
didn't matter cause literally every swing missed and he beat me to a pulp by the time I figured out where my healthbar was

>> No.5402278

>>5402265
I dread to ask.
But you do have weapons and armor on you, right? Preferably, you are using weapons you have proficiency with?
Because unless you are running around butt-naked, attacking only with your fists, there is no way this guy can kill you this easily.

>> No.5402287

>>5402278
did you miss the part where this happened in the first 2 minutes of the game? literally all that had happened by that point was that I was dropped in some town and told to speak to NPCs for tutorials, decided to check out that building (assuming it would be flavor or more game info) and instead some fucking hobbo jumps me for the stupidest reason ever

>> No.5402294

>>5402287
...get the fuck back to the tavern - you know., the one you literally started the game in front of. Talk to the barkeep and buy yourself some decent armor and weapons that you can actually use.
Then you can run around like a happy person, checking every building you come across.

>> No.5402305

>>5402294
no I'm done with this game

>> No.5402332 [DELETED] 
File: 39 KB, 661x245, beamniggers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

>> No.5402353
File: 42 KB, 400x286, n00b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5402232
that's the way of life in the sword coast you fucking casual, git gud or gtfo

>> No.5402354

>>5402232
If you need games with handholding you should go back to /v/

>> No.5402372

>>5402332
Dude. Shut the fuck up.

>> No.5402381 [DELETED] 

>>5402372
I came to this thread just to see you this butthurt

>> No.5402395

>>5402305
>An RPG where, I, based retro game Completionist, die even once!? What a turd!
You can't even 40% it without a guide, so good job quitting now, you mentally ill autist.

>> No.5402402 [DELETED] 

>>5402381
funny huh? you probably created the thread aswell just to post the pasta too you cheeky faggot.

>> No.5402414 [DELETED] 

>>5402332
Based, redpilled

>>5402372
Bluepilled subhuman

>> No.5402425 [DELETED] 
File: 39 KB, 661x245, fuck you janny go suck my cock.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

>> No.5402427

I wonder
Why are only fucking retards creating these threads when once the retarded shitposting caused by their retarded OPs died down, the discussion is usually pretty high quality?

>> No.5402432

>>5402402
nope in fact I was just passing through on my way to /tv/ and saw a Baldur's Gate thread up.

>> No.5402451 [DELETED] 

>>5402425
janny trannies deleting beamdog truths

>> No.5402461
File: 2.00 MB, 1600x900, Baldr103.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how's that no reload SCS run going lads?
just killed Davaeorn and reached the Gate, feels pretty good desu
in b4 half my party gets popped on the next map because I forgot half of what's going on in this city
>>5402451
why would they even bother deleting this harmless tradition?

>> No.5402463

/v/irgins cant into videogame discussion.

>> No.5402473

>>5402461
How many scouts have you lost

>> No.5402480 [DELETED] 

>>5402372
>bluepilled LGBT cancer detected

>> No.5402485

>>5402427
Don't worry - give it some time and this thread will inevitably devolve into waifuposting and arguments which BG2 romance is the most based.

>> No.5402498
File: 34 KB, 443x455, repent.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5402305
Hahah you fucking zoomer, you want to play true RPG game, and you can't even spend 10 minutes to study it's mechanics? Go back to frotnite shithead.

>> No.5402556

>>5402473
so far nobody, Coran got close from exploding in a million pieces while feared but Edwin saved him by killing him with a magic missile
I usually use Kagain for scouting and never leave my party too far behind in case he gets in trouble, his HP pool usually allows him to survive (or at least ensure his portrait is still here if he dies)

>> No.5402578

>>5402425

I want to play BG again but with the original content - is there anywhere I can find a non-pozzed version of BG? Looks like steam and gog only have the beamdog edition

>> No.5402582

>>5402578
freegogpcgames, there's nobody left at bioware who worked on the game so don't feel bad about not giving them shekels.
otherwise there's a mod that removes the EE content from the EE

>> No.5402584

>>5402578
>let me Google that for you
Interplay and Black Isle have been out of businesz for years. They don't make any money from resales, and the game is long out of print. Just pirate it, faggot.

>> No.5402668

>>5402451
>truths
it's a biased distorted pint of truth, borderline shitposting, well we are in 4chan after all.
>>5402461
>harmless
yep, cos it's video games, so is the videogame itself, funny how these kids got so triggered over it they became "we are the anonymous squad pasta posting redpilled gamers".

>> No.5402676 [DELETED] 

>>5402668
there's literally nothing distored nor wrong in this pasta, shill
As for the second part of your post, i'd like to answer that as well, but I'm literally unable to decipher what you wrote.

>> No.5402685
File: 17 KB, 233x280, fun once.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5402232
holy shit. you died in the first part of the game?

sounds like the game dropped YOU and not the other way around, wussy biotch.

>> No.5402691
File: 337 KB, 492x376, thisisyou.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5402676
>literally
>shill
you are so easy to spot
>unable to decipher
it's simple really

>> No.5402696 [DELETED] 

>>5402668
>>5402691
short fact checking for the lone beamdog shill always squatting these threads, crying about the pasta and poorly trying to defend the company giving him shekels
1. The EE uses code directly lifted (with authorization) from several mods, most notably Tutu, 1pp and SCS. You can check their respective readme for reference.
2. I don't even understand how it's possible to deny that
3. I don't even understand how it's possible to deny that
4. I don't even understand how it's possible to deny that
5. I don't even understand how it's possible to deny that

>> No.5402705

>>5402696
>I don't even understand
that isn't surprising at all

>> No.5402713

>>5402705
>says the guy unable to make a coherent sentence
That's really a fascinating conversation, but if you have nothing to add, you really should just shut the fuck up before fucking up the thread for another 40+ worthless posts.

>> No.5402816 [DELETED] 

what the fuck is up with the mods itt seriously
reposting the fact checking, because there's absolutely no reason for it to be deleted, the
pasta is accurate. Nothing worse than some random clamoring about "distortions" while
being completely unable to explain them. Nothing wrong with putting him in his place, and
there's absolutely no good reason whatsoever to delete the explanation as to why.
The EE uses code directly lifted (with authorization) from several mods, most notably Tutu,
1pp and SCS. You can check their respective readme for reference.
The rest of the points made in the pasta are literally not even up for debate.
These posts were not remotely spammed and only posted in response to some dishonest
defense of a shitty company..
If someone amongst the mods has a problem with this very simple and obvious fucking fact,
please explain to us why instead of deleting accurate posts.
Fucking hell this website i swear.

>> No.5402930 [DELETED] 

Eat a dick you whiny faggot

>> No.5402934 [DELETED] 

>>5402816
It gets removed because it's spammed, reposted repeatedly, and is an "uncalled for catchphrase" (don't try to get cute with me on this). It is posted purely to start fights. I repeat; You are not posting to discuss, you are posting to start a fight. There's also the fact we heard your autism the first fifty fucking times.

SJW shit goes on >>>/pol/, >>>/b/, and >>>/trash/. Trolling goes on >>>/b/. Shitposts go on >>>/trash/ and >>>/b/. Pick one, and post it there instead.

>> No.5403016 [DELETED] 

Worthless piece of shit jannies

>> No.5403045 [DELETED] 

>you can't talk about beamdog's shitty business practices
>if you do you get banned and your posts deleted
lmao

>> No.5403052 [DELETED] 

What's your price janny, how many hotpockets do they give you lmao?
I'm not complaining about 4chan nor its policies, just asking :)

>> No.5403070 [DELETED] 

>he's still at it
I really hope you're not doing that shit for free lmao
Imagine not deleting one post itt
The discussion about the EE would have already died down and this thread would be at page 6 or already going in another direction and I would be playing some Baldur's Gate instead of shitposting like a retard
You suck at your job janny

>> No.5403075

Pasta retard spammed so hard he ensured future generations of posters will never see his message.

Talk about being hoisted by your own petard. We all agreed with you in the beginning. You just took it way too fucking far lol

>> No.5403076 [DELETED] 

Threadly reminder that beamdog is a despicable company :)

>> No.5403078 [DELETED] 

>>5403075
>pasta is posted once per thread as a tradition of sorts
>as soon as it gets deleted it's spammed
Really makes you think :)

>> No.5403087 [DELETED] 

Janny you still suck at your job :)
Beamdog is still a despicable company :)

It's really incredible that the more you want to delete this, the more I want to post it, and I never fucking do that kind of retarded obnoxious shit. I've never even posted this fucking pasta before you deleted it in this very thread.
Why do you want it deleted?
Was it spam before you did it?
Or has it become spam because you actively tried to kill a discussion?
A shitty one, maybe, but your obsession with purging only one side of it really makes me think :)
Maybe you're not doing it for free after all? :)

>> No.5403089 [DELETED] 
File: 33 KB, 511x671, 1550990579370.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FUCK BEAMDOG AND FUCK JANNIES

>> No.5403096 [DELETED] 

>>5403089
Based, redpilled and presidential medal of freedom

>> No.5403098 [DELETED] 

>>5403089
Absolutely 100% based af

>> No.5403106 [DELETED] 

Hey guise, did you know that beamdog was guilty of a number of crimes? :)
Maybe you'd like to hear about it? :)
Oops too bad you can't, this is an advertiser friendly board :)

>> No.5403125

>>5403075
I still agree with him desu
The enhanced editions are a despicable product, lazily and poorly made only for a quick buck
There's no passion, no understanding of the source material and no respect for it whatsoever in the way beamdog handled it
That's why this pasta is so good, because even almost seven years after its release the EE is still a despicable product and one of the greatest examples of what not to do when remaking a game or any other sort of cultural product for that matter. It is an absolute failure that's only played because it works out if the box on any modern system and is able to use all cores of any modern cpu. Also because beamdog pulled the originals off any market.

>> No.5403135 [DELETED] 

>>/vr/thread/5402232

>> No.5403156

so what's everybody's favourite class for the mc? i really prefer jester, great for a laugh. cast invis on him and have him sing in the midst of everybody. not terribly effective but an invisibile fool doing backflips to accomplish very little is a funny mental picture.

>> No.5403180 [DELETED] 

>>5398295

>> No.5403218 [DELETED] 

where's the beamdog copypasta?

>> No.5403239 [DELETED] 

>>5403218
hasn't been posted yet

>> No.5403245

>>5402395
>40%
meh, hardest part of the game is Durlag's you just bump into the rest of the content if you explore enough.

>> No.5403326 [DELETED] 

What the fuck happened itt

>> No.5403335 [DELETED] 

>>5403326
>>/vr/thread/5402232

>> No.5403342 [DELETED] 

>>5403335
i dont like beamdog either but holy autism

>> No.5403343 [DELETED] 

>>5403342
yeah the janny is a bit of a sperg

>> No.5403345 [DELETED] 

>>5403335
what the fuck kind of cleaning is that for fucks sake more than half the posts deleted
What the fuck can we even post itt

>> No.5403347 [DELETED] 

>>5403345
you can shill for beamdog no prob

>> No.5403350 [DELETED] 

The fucking retarded inflammatory OP? I sleep
Someone posting the beamdog copypasta? Better ban those fucking problematic cishet pieces of shit

>> No.5403406

>>5403156
I consistently play either a (conjurer) wizard or a rogue. It even fits in terms of story. Martials are getting boring very quickly so I tend to avoid them.

>> No.5403416

>>5403245
Did you REALLY 100% the game if you didn't choose every different option given to you at least once? This was a point I was trying to make earlier that I don't really care going in depth about anymore.

>> No.5403485

>>5403125
>There's no passion, no understanding of the source material and no respect for it whatsoever in the way beamdog handled it
Numerous things that do not work properly on BGT or TuTu work properly in EE because old WeiDu modders were given a platform on Beamdog. See also: BG1's unique random monster spawns.
Granted, it took them fucking years to get to that point, the game still spawns bugs where they are, and I still know a guy who ticketed an issue with his version of the game (localized; they don't seem to have much of a division for handling non-English versions) 6 months ago and still has received no reply, but I'm kinda happy for the people who get to work with the game they know down to the guts in the code.

>> No.5403503

>>5403156
>an invisibile fool doing backflips to accomplish very little
kek, good one

>> No.5403512
File: 1.76 MB, 856x1596, Aerowyn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5402232
5/10
if I hadn't played the game myself, you *might* have had an effect on me

>>5402254
10/10
this is what a quality post looks like

>>5402265
here's that (you) you were looking for, two in fact

>>5402427
it's actually a retarded /vr/ regular who starts a thread with bait, thinking that it will actually draw in more people and keep the thread alive, then switches to regular posts after the thread reaches sustainability
maybe it seems smart in the short-term, but it makes things worse for the board later on

>>5403156
pic related

>> No.5403690
File: 25 KB, 555x333, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So we're not allowed to post the Beamdog pasta anymore? Is that what this board has become?

Well let me tell you something, it is entirely thanks to that "retarded" pasta that I got into BG at all. I just ignored the games when they were first released thinking it was just more RPG shit with pixies and elves and other such fanciful nonsense. Fast forward several years and I made two important discoveries: (1) this board, where like-minded anons could post freely (or so I thought) about classic games; and (2) I started seeing the infamous pasta popping up in just about every BG thread. Having not played the games at this point, I didn't fully understand the gravity of Beamdog's crimes, but I could sympathise with the sentiment expressed in the pasta, that of anger against talentless hacks meddling with beloved source material. I remember feeling exactly the same anger when I saw Transformers -- my favourite childhood toys/cartoon -- turned into a moronic shitshow replete with Bumblebee pee-pee jokes by that talentless faggot Michael Bay.

But the pasta didn't just resonate with me, I also enjoyed it. Not just because the text is funny, but because there is always some fanny-flustered faggot who gets so triggered by it and then proceeds to shit up the thread with his childish tantrums. Anyway, my appreciation of the pasta grew with each reading, so much so that I decided I would give the games a try. So try them I did, both with and without the EE content, and I learned two things. First off, BG and BG2 are now two of my favourite games of all time and I have spent many happy days playing them (and furthermore I went on to play, and enjoy, games like IWD and NWN too, games which i never thought i would like). These fond experiences would never have happened without the "retarded" pasta. Secondly, I got to experience first-hand how bad the EE content was and truly understand the grotesque crimes that Amber Scott et al had committed against the masterpiece that is BG.

>> No.5403691

>>5403690
(Continued)
TLDR; the Beamdog pasta has had a profound impact on my life, in an entirely good way. Sure, some of the pasta is exaggerated but its overriding message is 100% truth. Blocking the pasta would be a terrible mistake and be massively detrimental to what was once a fine board.

So I beg you Jannies, don't block the pasta. Please use your power wisely.

>> No.5403710

>>5403690
>but because there is always some fanny-flustered faggot who gets so triggered by it and then proceeds to shit up the thread with his childish tantrums
ah yes, truly a good reason to allow pasta spamming, because it shits up threads

>> No.5403719 [DELETED] 

>>5403690
>>5403691
You're too pure for this dump, anon.
>>/vr/thread/5402232
>>5403710
Flustered fanny.

>> No.5403763

>>5403710
With all due respect, shitposting in all its various forms has always been an integral part of the 4chan (or 4channel, whatever) experience, at least as long as i can remember.
Accept it and learn to enjoy it I say. You'll be happier for it, I assure you. And there is much to enjoy in a truly vintage pasta.
If shitposting is to be banned then we might as well all just go to reddit. That would be sad.
Peace to you, anon.

>> No.5403782

Alright, re-installing BGTUTU with SCS when I get home. Thanks based retard OP.

>>5403156
What rare class combination should I play this time?

>> No.5404074

>>5402232
I made it to a little after Candlehearth before I died on my first attempt. I really love D&D but I just fucking suck at RPGs. I overthink stat allocation way too much.

>> No.5404134

If you're dying constantly this early into the game you probably aren't using enough spells. Ditch the ones that do direct damage and put heavy emphasis on spells that disable the enemy. Also remember to give every character the strongest ranged weapon they can use. This is one of the rare games where bows don't feel underwhelming

>> No.5404137 [DELETED] 

>> No.5404143 [DELETED] 

>>5404137
Based.

>> No.5404241

>>5403763
Shitposting is for /b/. The rest of the site is for discussing hobbies and media.

>> No.5404295

>>5404074
At this point, until you get yourself a decent party, with at least two fighters and a cleric, don't try to pick a fight with everything that moves. Wolves and bears will destroy you at lvl 1.

Also, as soon as possible go east of Friendly Arms Inn to Peldvale to secure the best cleric (and waifu) in the game.

>> No.5404504

>>5404241
no, newfriendo. now tell us how you've been here since 2005.

>> No.5404526

>>5402305
k

>> No.5404529

>>5403156
My favorite classes are Stalker, Cavalier, and Sorcerer.

>> No.5404574

Gonna do a first playthrough. What is a good race/class/alignment for someone whose only other RTWP game was PoE?

>> No.5404590

>>5404574
First of all - forget everything you know about PoE character building and mechanics. BG doesn't work this way.
The most important question is: which version do you have? Vanilla BG? BG:EE? Because this makes a world of difference.
I wouldn't maybe recommend a spellcaster for you, unless you are familiar with D&D and don't mind a challenge. If so, pick a wizard. It's a fun class, with a lot of mileage.
Fighter is always a safe bet - if sometimes boring to play. As for race - it doesn't matter that much mechanically. I would go for a human, personally. Also, keep in mind that some races are barred from romances in BG2, if you wish to continue with the same character and you are into that sort of thing.
As for aligment - doesn't matter. The game will push you into playing a good guy anyway.

>> No.5404593

Just started a new campaign for the first time in years. God damn I love this game

>> No.5404595

>>5404590
EE.

Thinking of doing an evil Half Orc Cleric. It sounds like a fun build. Will I be fucked?

>> No.5404610

>>5404595
Not really. To be honest, I never played a MC as a cleric - because the game throws cleric companions at you at every opportunity, but the class itself is alright. Just keep in mind that half-orcs get bonus to Strength, and as a Cleric, your role will be less of a fighter and more of a buffer/controller. Just invest in heavy armor, shields and Constitution.

Also - Wisdom is the important stat for a Cleric, so max it out. Good spell selection is key - things like Bless, Cure Wounds and Command are a given.
Or try a figher/cleric (IMO also works pretty well for a h-orc) and see where this gets you. And then quickly snatch Viconia (the best cleric in the game) to be your drow cleric waifu.

>> No.5404613

>>5404595
Do Half-Orc Fighter/Cleric for a character that's pretty much infinitely more powerful. Single-class Clerics have a lot of self-buffs that benefit more from being a Fighter. So yeah, F/C is a blast to play and very tanky and safe, pure C is kinda sluggish.

>> No.5404649

Does anybody else play single player through multiplayer mode so they can use their own 6 man custom party?

>> No.5404659

>>5404649
A lot of people. I personally never did that. For me, it kind of defeats the purpose of having story companions with you - especially in regards to BG2. But some people like having a much higher level of party customization.
So to each it's own I guess.

>> No.5404678

>>5404574
If you install the tweak anthology mod you can select a component which de-restricts the race/class restrictions allowing you to play any race/class combo you desire. From personal experience I can recommend a half-orc cavalier paladin

>> No.5404684

>>5404678
cringe

>> No.5404694

>>5404684
How is any of what I said cringe-inducing?

>> No.5404701

>>5404694
>m-muh halh orc paladin

just play the game without meme mods

>> No.5404712

>>5404678
>Playing with cheat mods
Yikes

>> No.5404717

>>5404701
>>5404712
Look, I'm 36, I bought the original games when they first came out. I've done more vanilla playthroughs than you've had hot dinners, I felt like mixing things up a bit for my last run, is that really so bad?

>> No.5404719

>>5404701
There's literally nothing wrong with a half-orc paladin, though? Do you have autism?

>> No.5404853

>>5404649
The banter and interactions are a major part of the game, it works better in Icewind Dale.

>> No.5404961

>>5404678
>suggesting mods for a first playthrough
Yikes. Most of the race restrictions are stupid but why would that matter to someone who's playing the game for the first time?

>> No.5405000

>>5404595
>>5404613
you can do a halforc cleric and he'll be much better at melee than other clerics, but spells soon bridge that gap, and you'll definitely be happier as a fighter/cleric

a dwarf would be objectively better, but you'll already be the strongest character in the game, and the game isn't too hard, so don't worry about it

>> No.5405002

>>5404649
ive done that a handful of times in BG, but only a little bit in bg2
in bg2, a big part of the game is character interactions and npc-specific quests; you'll miss out on a lot
but yeah it's fun as hell in bg1 if you've never done it before

>> No.5405370

Was Imoen supposed to join my party after my mentor died? She ran up to me, but I couldnt talk to her. She just stood around. I've already recruited the necromancer and his dwarf friend, but the wiki says Imoen is supposed to be the first companion. Can I still get her later?

>> No.5405389

>>5405370
>Was Imoen supposed to join my party after my mentor died? She ran up to me, but I couldnt talk to her. She just stood around.
Yes, she's supposed to be your first companion. There's a way to force her into your party with a console command if you can't reset her, look it up somewhere, it involves playing around with baldur.ini.

>> No.5406004 [DELETED] 
File: 148 KB, 927x585, ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5402232
Anon, before giving up on BG altogether, why don't you try playing BG2 first? I started with BG2 and then went back to BG1. To be honest, there is absolutely no need to play the games in the proper order.

Why start with BG2 you may ask? A few reasons:
- It's actually a waaaay better game. Not saying BG1 is bad but BG2 is epic and generally much better made.
- It's a bit more linear in terms of the order quests are performed. This means you are less likely to accidentally go somewhere you are totally not ready for and get killed (this is definitely still possible though).
- You start at a higher level which IMO makes things more interesting. E.g. you quickly get access to more special abilities, more powerful spells, good magic weapons, and you also face much more interesting enemies (demons instead of goblins).

Also, don't be ashamed to set the difficulty to easy. There's a lot to learn after all, but the game is VERY rewarding if you give it a chance. Also save A LOT.

Final point, don't play the enhanced editions (pic related). Good luck.

>> No.5406046

>download soundset
>doesn't play in-game
>can't even play them with my media player
Help? I assume this is a 'codec' thing or some shit.

>> No.5406054

>>5406046
install quicktime

>> No.5406116

>Cannot find Neera or Hexxat/Clara CHARNAME soundsets literally anywhere
Jesus, either people got lazy as fuck, or literally no one liked either f their voices. There's soundsets for CHARNAME of every other NPC from every other IE game.

>> No.5406119

It's a meme game that oldfags lord over others because of its complexity. It's a shit game.

>> No.5406175

>>5404649
Not custom party, but I have modded some NPCs. Played BGT with monk Imoen, sorc Aerie, archer Jaheira and half-ork berserker Minsk with one-handed Lilarcor.

>> No.5406203

>>5406119
There are more complex RPGs out there that aren't being "lorded over" because even if the chargen or combat system is heavenly, the overall game experience might be not as great as the tried, true, and endlessly replayable Baldur's Gate.

See also: Temple of Elemental Evil.

>> No.5406276

>>5406203
Temple of The Elemental Evil is my favorite CRPG. It isnt "lorded over" because its not /vr/.

>> No.5406583

>>5402305
good to see a casual so efficiently filtered.

>> No.5406590

for someone fond of savestates you didn't even savescum
step up your game op or just download a trainer

>> No.5406636

>>5406276
also because it's autistic and boring

>> No.5406667 [DELETED] 

>>5406046
look here for soundset
>>/vr/thread/5402232

>> No.5406694
File: 68 KB, 620x161, ba.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5406276
based

>> No.5406901

>>5406175
What mod did you use to mod the NPCs?

>> No.5406963

>>5406901
Not any particular mod, just edited NPC files myself with Near Infinity and Shadow Keeper.

>> No.5407242

>>5406276
Nothing in my statement ever implied that I'm referring to the environment of /vr/ only. ToEE with Co8 is a fun experience, but claiming BG is only liked because of some complexity boner is ridiculous considering it's not even one of the RPGs with most moving parts out there. We're still in the D&D edition where Fighters mostly exist to autoattack.

>> No.5407251

>>5407242
Fighters exist to be the mechanical explanation for why Wizard + friendship is better than wizard + summons and fodder

you know it's true

if you ever won as a fighter without your wizard's help it was because of of hand of god bullshit nonsense or trash encounters

>> No.5407265

>>5406004
Dude, look at the archive of this thread before you post that shit. It's moddable now because ((((((you)))))) cunts kept spamming it and starting fights.

>> No.5407306 [DELETED] 

>>5407265
this thread is being raped because one irate janny is tranny hormone raging

>> No.5407369

>>5407251
I don't see any correlation between what I wrote and what you wrote. I merely said that fighters are "you point, I chop" people with not a whole lot of complexity to what they do - outside of consumables the only way they really manipulate the battleifeld is through HLAs. You don't get mechanics like trip, disarm, sunder or push away. This is to support the argument that BG isn't some sort of vanguard of complexity. Dragon Age: Origins has a more complex Fighter class (with kits and a whole bunch of new maneuvers and a dual specialization), but whether these moving parts contribute to more gameplay depth is a whole different question.

>> No.5407593

Redpill me on Thief/Clerics.

>> No.5407627

My fighter had a bow. Hell, all of my party had ranged weapons. This game wasn't that hard I just focus fired and switched to melee when the enemy got closer but I'm going to admit bears were scary before I got some levels up.

>> No.5407707

>Evil characters cant be archers
What a shit game

>> No.5407745

>>5407593
Your main selling points are being a toolbox and delivering the strongest backstabs in the game thanks to your ability to hit 25 Strength at-will and the best backstabbing weapon (staff) being blunt. UAI lets you bypass the Clerical ethos. For duals, late-dualed Assassin->Cleric plays into the backstab synergy (and I guess it can tie up Poison Weapon into Energy Blades late in the game) and Swashbuckler->Cleric is a somewhat adulterated (unless you dual it late enough to get UAI) Fighter hybrid (Clerics can already cast True Seeing so the only real boon from Detect Illusons on such a combo is that it bypasses SI: Divination SCS mages are fond of) that you can flavor into a follower of Tymora or some other tricky god, or a navy ship chaplain. Cleric->Thief duals, however, don't seem to be as good as Cleric->Fighter (and I didn't miswrite, Priest of Lathander -> Fighter is a strong, if unorthodox, combo), but you could go PoL->Thief for Lathander's Boon and buffs mixed with UAI dual-wielding of speed weapons for some neat potential.

You get to be a Gnome (shorty saving throws; available Aerie romance) or a Half-Orc (19 Strength for a stronger initial backstab and 19 Con for regeneration from the BG1 tome; available Viconia romance) if you multiclass.

It works well. as it hybridizes two classes that take a lot of work to really leave an impact, it's interesting to explore from a mechanical perspective (if you enjoy unohrthodox challenges) and perhaps somewhat tricky to look at from an RP perspective.
>>5407707
Archer as a Ranger kit is perhaps somewhat unfortunate in this regard, but among joinable NPCs there are strong ranged attackers, obviously Mazzy with her Short Bows and somewhat less obviously Anomen due to Strength-slinging.

>> No.5407760

>>5402232
i wanted to see what op's fuss was about so i looked up a longplay.
>every time the player clicked for movement the character screamed "ALL RIGHT, ALL RIGHT" all put out.
>The character goes into the tavern
>My hotel's as clean as an elven arse
i closed the tab

>> No.5407779

>>5407760
*BURP* I need t'stop dippin' into me own ale, hehehehe

>> No.5407810

>>5407745
>and delivering the strongest backstabs in the game thanks to your ability to hit 25 Strength at-will and the best backstabbing weapon (staff) being blunt.
a fighter/thief can do the same thing via potions and/or Duhm, and can have a higher proficiency in the staff, and a better chance to hit thanks to a higher thaco

>> No.5407812

>>5407760
thanks for replying
it seems this game is not for you

>> No.5407875

>>5407810
Kensai>Thief is pretty fucking legit man if we're gonna make comparisons

>> No.5408168 [DELETED] 

Baldur's gate thread without the pasta and with all discussion of beamdog's crimes sterilized just feels so bland.
Why is there only one guy crying about it 'starting fights' when there is no fights whatsoever about this pasta except him crying about it?
Just look at the archived previous threads, where are these alledged 'fights ' this cunt is crying about? Where???
There are no fights about it because all of it is true, the only ones starting fights are the ones crying about it by trying to paint is a lies and complaining about it every. single. thread.
And I'm pretty sure it's just the one guy who is repeatedly crying about it itt, and I'm pretty sure he's also the one deleting it.
Really boggles my mind.
>>5407242
>>5407369
'fighters auto attack therefore BG is not complex' wow, what a great analysis, where can I subscribe to your snarky youtube channel my euphoric enlightened friend?

>> No.5408173 [DELETED] 

And even if the pasta actually started 'fights', what's the problem as long as the discussion is honest and interesting, like it has almost always been in these threads? Is controversy forbidden on /vr/ now? Strong words and opinions not welcome?

>> No.5408221

Fuck me I'm done with BG1 scs no reload, back to BG2 and thank fuck for that
Coran and Kivan got permakilled in Durlag's tower, had to replace them with goody two shoes Khalid and Minsc for the last two floors to get both those idiots some XP before Sarevok (after making them kill their respective significant other, which somewhat alleviates the pain of losing two of my original archers at full XP but still)
Was a good experience, but there are too few good fights in BG1 imo, some fun ones in Durlag when you've forgotten them, Davaeorn, the bandit camp, the Iron throne, the ogre mages in candlekeep, maybe two or three good ambushes, and Sarevok. The ducal palace fight is pure hell on no reload since you can make the game unwinnable quite easily if the npcs get killed. But there is a lot of slogging around to get to these shining moments. BG1 is a great game, but BG2 is much more enjoyable to replay on the regular for me.
Can't imagine playing without no reload or scs now though, really, really fun and intense game.
Really recommend it, if you already know your way around the game try playing like this, you won't regret it!

>> No.5408227 [DELETED] 

Why is it even impossible to discuss the decision to delete the pasta without having your post deleted?
I really wish some mod could come in and explain to us what he means by this I'm really confused at this point.
What are we even allowed to discuss itt, pls explain instead of deleting
Am I allowed to say that beamdog is a shit company, am I allowed to discuss the EE, what can I do, what can't I do?

>> No.5408239 [DELETED] 

>>5406667
well memed

>> No.5408241

>>5407760
Yeah that can get annoying, it's just a recurring problem that old real-time strategy games and their ilk have.

>> No.5408247 [DELETED] 

>>5408227
Here's an explanation; we want to discuss Baldur's Gate without (you) being a faggot about it. If you have a problem with it, go whine to the mods directly.

>> No.5408249 [DELETED] 

>>5408247
What the fuck do you mean by this for fuck's sake? What's your fucking problem?

>> No.5408251 [DELETED] 

>>5408249
I mean "We want to discuss videogames without you being a faggot about a release nobody cares about from seven years ago. If you want to continue being a faggot, go to the mods and say to them "I want to be a faggot again""

>> No.5408254 [DELETED] 

>>5408251
What's not related to videogames about the EE?
Why do you say nobody cares when it's obviously just you?
Who pissed in your coffee this morning?
Why the fuck can't we discuss the EE for and who in hell do you think you are?

>> No.5408257 [DELETED] 

>>5408254
This conversation is over. You're just baiting for (you)s.

>> No.5408258

This thread got autistic real fast. This is what happens when you start a thread with bait instead of a normal op.

>> No.5408259 [DELETED] 

>>5408251
By the way, could you please indicate me the proper way to contact mods and tell me why you're such an inflammatory person?

>> No.5408260 [DELETED] 

>>5408257
Are you fucking serious right now?

>> No.5408263 [DELETED] 

>>5408257
Every fucking post mentioning the EE gets deleted
I ask why and you're telling me I'm baiting because I'm not agreeing with your binary black and white vision that all discussion of the EE should be banned, what the fuck ??
Are you fucking serious???

>> No.5408265 [DELETED] 

>>5408257
Please tell me you're not the janny deleting everything itt that would really unironically hurt me if you are

>> No.5408272 [DELETED] 

>>5408251
> Release from 7 years ago
Umm, you do know which board you're on right buddy?

Or are you implying that discussion of the EE shouldn't be allowed here because it's too recent?

>> No.5408278 [DELETED] 

Unironically where can I contact the mods?
I really want to know what the fuck is going on ITT, this is a fucking shitshow

>> No.5408279 [DELETED] 

>>5408278
There's a contact link at the bottom of the page.

>> No.5408284 [DELETED] 

>>5408279
Doesn't seem to have anything to do with mods, it's not for ban appeal, advertising, technical support nor bug report, I just want to understand what the fuck I can post because I'm fucking sick of getting my posts deleted.

>> No.5408289 [DELETED] 

>>5408279
What address am I supposed to use? I don't see anything related to moderation and rules on the contact nor the feedback page
How retarded am I?

>> No.5408291 [DELETED] 

>>5408289
https://www.4channel.org/feedback

>> No.5408295 [DELETED] 

>>5408291
Yeah I already sent some, but there is no way to get an answer from this page and I'm pretty sure nobody reads it anyway
I just want to fucking know what I'm allowed to post ffs, the rules don't help

>> No.5408298 [DELETED] 

>>5407265
I really would to believe this (or rather, partake in that delusion), but the pasta was deleted before that shitshow and the deletion is even the cause of it
I can't find anything about spam in the previous BG threads
So pls explain

>> No.5408308 [DELETED] 

>>5408278
>>5408295
IRC

>> No.5408314 [DELETED] 

>>5408308
Fucking hell, the things they make you do to fucking post in a fucking BG thread I swear... I'm installing a client after lunch, fuck this shit

>> No.5408316 [DELETED] 

>>5408258
This is what happens when you delete half the posts and don't bother explaining why

>> No.5408382

>>5407810
And the Cleric gets Righteous Magic, consumes fewer resources per backstab, and DUHM as an innate power is lost mid-BG2.

I guess a Mage might be more of a contender, though, because I forgot about the Iron Golem backstab from 4d10 base damage and Mislead cheese that the othe two can only achieve through rare scrolls.

>> No.5408384 [DELETED] 

I wonder if anybody has learned a lesson from this thread?

Option 1: allow pasta. Get maybe 1 to 3 "outraged" responders then things calm down and normal discussion ensues, as per every other BG thread before.

Option 2: delete pasta. Shit storm of acrimony ensues as angry anons repost pasta (numerous times), scream abuse and generally trash the thread. Many posts deleted and No doubt several regular posters were banned too. /vr/ is a quieter less interesting place for a while. Some of those pissed off anons may not come back ever again.

I sincerely hope wisdom prevails next time.

>> No.5408391 [DELETED] 

I'm just happy to see the people crying about political correctness and special snowflakes show their true colors as seething shitposters the moment someone takes away their poorly written, stale pasta.

>> No.5408404 [DELETED] 

>>5408391
way to go to miss the fucking point and make it about politics when it's just about a shitty company and its retarded practices
there is literally nothing wrong with debating them
The debate about the enhanced editions has always been a legitimate one, be it from a pure gameplay perspective or values related debate over the question of beamdog's legitimacy in even owning the license.
What's incredible to me is that there aree legit good posts that get deleted when this low effort inflammatory shit of "i deleted your posts, now you're angry, that means i was right all along lmao" stays up.
Fucking incredible thread, and this guy is partially right >>5408384
deleting it only ensures that actual game discussion gets forgotten because guess what, part of that game discussion is now a bannable offense. Since you can't apparently delete the pasta without also deleting posts that make the same fucking point, which will inevitably come across at some point when discussing BG since a lot of fucking people do use the EE nad do have afucking opinion about it.

>> No.5408418 [DELETED] 

>>5408404
>there is literally nothing wrong with debating them
oh yes, it's never political, except when it's a 30 post circlejerk about leftists ruining western civilization whenever you let these autists run rampant
the guy who is "partially right" highlights that you're a bunch of apes whose tantrum is exactly the same as the "outraged" responders you're talking about except it derails everything it touches
>deleting it only ensures that actual game discussion gets forgotten
nobody remembers shit on a fleeting 4chan thread in a board that's so slow it autosages itself, people keep posting the same misinformed shit about mods or team compositions in every single one of them
you just got called out that your shitposting is not constructive, interesting, or funny anymore and you still can't get over it

>> No.5408429 [DELETED] 

>>5408418
>except when it's a 30 post circlejerk about leftists ruining western civilization whenever you let these autists run rampant
which basically never fucking happens in these threads, this is not /v/ and you'd know it if you were not a fuckign tourist.
you sound like a keyboard warrior who spends his days debating poltards and who can't see any issue outside of that prism
But let me tell you this, I'm here, like many other regulars on these threads, to discuss the motherfucking game.
The motherfucking game, whether you like it or not, has an enhanced edition.
This enhanced edition, whether you like it or not, is the result of at best, debatable business and artistic pratcices.
These debatable business and artistic practices are perfectly summed up in ap asta that resonates so well with many players of this game that it became a staple of these threads on /vr/ andother boards.
This has nothing to do with your the endless political debates you apparently spend your days involved in.
You have said nothing constructive whatsoever in this entire thread aside from crying about the pasta. I bet you've not even posted anything about the fucking game itself.
You're just crying over hypothetical situations that are probably a common occurence on fucking /v/, but the BG threads on /vr/ and the debate it generates about the EE are top fucking notch, perfectly on point most of the time. This debate is inevitably political, because every fucking thing beamdog wrote, sotry and character wise IS political.
But the threads only become purely political and devolve into such nonsensical debates as the one we're having when a little bitch like convinces himself this debate is purely politcal. And proceeds to start crying about "muh snowflakes muh PC bullshit" or even worse "muh muh snowflakes, muh muh political bullshit", just like you do, and see his political nemesis' shadow around every fucking post, just like you do.
Give us a break with this shit for fuck's sake.

>> No.5408438 [DELETED] 

>>5408391
Fair enough, but I hope you realise that you are helping to create that which you claim to despise. Pasta spammers, frog posters and a whole array of other shit posters exist primarily because they enjoy annoying people. You may not be the author of the pasta but responses like yours are its genesis. Just ignore it, unless of course you enjoy it more than you are letting on.

>> No.5408442 [DELETED] 

>>5408429
>which basically never fucking happens in these threads, this is not /v/ and you'd know it if you were not a fuckign tourist.
nah man I just painstakingly respond to people's actual questions about the game and the contrast between actual discussions about the game and shitposting about a woman who no longer works at beamdog is very clear
>the entire rest of this post
xD

>> No.5408443 [DELETED] 

>>5408429
In the original game there is Anomen as a gay character, there is Nalia who helps the poor etc. but no one will ever say this is muh SJW. Beamdog added nothing political that wasn't already in the game before. You're fucking stupid.

>> No.5408449

>>5408443
>Anomen as a gay character
Where did that come from? He's a romantic interest for female CHARNAMEs only.

>> No.5408456 [DELETED] 

>>5408443
Anomen isn't gay as far as I remember, I've never been able to romance him as a man
But then again, I play the game, not shitpost about it so what do I know
What you fail to demonstrate is how the fuck a gay character (if he even existed right?) or another helping the poor are political issues, when the writing of beamdog's story is basically a mouthpiece for the author's politcal convictions.
But then again, you can just call me stupid again, that'll probably do it.

>> No.5408460 [DELETED] 

>>5408442
>shitposting about a woman who no longer works at beamdog is very clear
great way to strawman every discussion about the subject of the EE, awesome talking to you
if you answer people's questions the same way you do to that, that's probably hilarious to read, please point me to it, you can probably tell me more about about your amazing game knowledge

>> No.5408469 [DELETED] 

>>5408442
>xD
what did he mean by this?

>> No.5408493 [DELETED] 

>>5408456
Show us the dialogue you don't like.

>> No.5408496 [DELETED] 

>>5408493
Why do you care now?

>> No.5408501 [DELETED] 

>>5408496
Just want to know how you back up your accusations.

>> No.5408512 [DELETED] 

>>5408493
>>5408493
I'd like to know how you back up yours too, you're the only calling me stupid right? You should be able to demsonstrate that BGII 'classic' is political right?
what you fail to understand with this stupid question is that I could take almost every character dialogue in the EE and make that exact point about it.
It's not even a question of liking it or not, just a question of artistic intentions.
Baldur's Gate II presents an array of behaviors and characters. Many of them have moral dilemmas that you, the player, can have an impact on. And although very limited compared to more ambitious RPGs of the same time or before in terms of writing, these dilemmas still exist. And have the quality to let the player choose to be an absolute dick if he wants to hate a character for the morality the player feels this character incarnates.
In essence, the game's writing does not take sides. It gives you characters with ideas and morality and allows you to treat them as you want without handholding or judging you too much in the process. It's tame, but it's pretty complete, I mean just try it, there are some impressive outcomes.
A possibility that is very tamed in beamdog's writing, who also assert their characters as often morally superior to others companions, always besting them in banters and proving themselves right every single time. Even when they're obviously clinically retarded.
In itself, this alone would simply bad fanfic writing.
But every single one of these characters incarnates a form of morality too, pretty obviously rooted in modern identity politics. It's obvious in the dialogues alone if you've not been living in a cave these past 10 years, but it is backed by the writers interviews, who admit that their characters are mouthpieces for their own political ideology.
This is their artistic intent, and this is why the enhanced editions, whether you like or not, are political in essence. Regardless of what you think about their writers opinions.

>> No.5408514 [DELETED] 

>>5408512
for>>5408501

>> No.5408518 [DELETED] 

>>5408512
Show us the dialogue.

>> No.5408520 [DELETED] 

>>5408518
read the motherfucking post

>> No.5408528 [DELETED] 

>>5408518
It gets cancelled out by the sidequest that, if failed, results in Neera getting raped by a foreign and she runs away in shame because she felt she oppressed him.

See? I can make shit up too, post the actual dialog.

>> No.5408529 [DELETED] 

>>5408528
what the fuck are you even on about with that?

>> No.5408531 [DELETED] 

>>5408528
Just what dialogue do you need to support that? Which ones of my claims are you even contesting? What dialogue do you want? Please tell, I will provide.

>> No.5408532 [DELETED] 

>>5408528
t. beamdog shill

>> No.5408537 [DELETED] 

>>5408528
Meant to reply to >>5408520

>>5408531
>always besting them in banters and proving themselves right every single time. Even when they're obviously clinically retarded.
Show us this part, the part where a shitdog NPC rattles her tits and wins the same way a webcomic feminist does.

>> No.5408539 [DELETED] 

>>5408537
>here demonstrate a point that is absolutely not the one you make
try fucking reading my post for fuck's sake and start making sense
what the fuck are you on about that webcomic feminist shit

>> No.5408548 [DELETED] 

>>5408520
>ask for examples
>get another wall of text
cool story bro

>> No.5408550 [DELETED] 

>>5408548
>ask for "examples"
>isn't able to articulate of what
cool story bro

>> No.5408554

>>5402232
this is so sad
can you play deus ex now

>> No.5408562 [DELETED] 

>>5408548
>complaining about walls of text in build autism land
it's like you're a tourist or something

>> No.5408661

>>5408221
>Coran and Kivan got permakilled in Durlag's tower, had to replace them with goody two shoes Khalid and Minsc
>all four have good alignments
>?

>> No.5408665

>>5408382
sure, by bg2, but I thought we were talking about bg1

>>5408391
couldn't have said it better myself

>> No.5408674 [DELETED] 

>>5408384
You would think 4chan mods of all people would understand that censorship doesnt work

>> No.5408675

>>5408661
If anything Kivan is arguably more goody-two-shoes than Minsc. You do not want to anger Minsc. He will fucking disembowel you.

>> No.5408758 [DELETED] 

>>5408391
>>5408665
>i'm just happy to be as immature and petty as the people i supposedly despise
>yeah me too!
lmao

>> No.5408813 [DELETED] 

lmao this thread really

>> No.5408823 [DELETED] 

L M A O
M
A
O

>> No.5408845 [DELETED] 

Holy shit, 85 deleted posts in this thread and almost every single one on-topic and violating neither board nor site rules. How have the mods not fired whatever janitor is fucking up this badly?

>> No.5408847 [DELETED] 

>>5408845
SJW shit, bitching about mods, and responding to shitposts are all against the rules, Anon.

>> No.5408850 [DELETED] 

>>5408847
Someone posting something on-topic you don't like isn't a shitpost. The copypasta isn't a shitpost. And it's not a mod deleting this stuff, it's a janitor. The mods know better.

>> No.5408852 [DELETED] 

>>5408845
honestly the thread is much better now than before, this is the kind of Poland I never did anything for

>> No.5408853 [DELETED] 

>>5408847
>everything I don't like is against the rules
half of those posts answer to none of these labels

>> No.5408856 [DELETED] 

Beamdog

>> No.5408858 [DELETED] 

>>5408852
yeah sure

>> No.5408869 [DELETED] 

So, this thread is basically a wash until the next one. Seems like the Jani finally got dressed down by the mods so he's not delete-spamming everything, but he's already fucked the thread for having a reasonable discussion.

>> No.5408905 [DELETED] 

>>5408869
no, we still can make 200~ valuable and interesting posts about the games themselves instead of the meta discussion you're trying to force

>> No.5408907 [DELETED] 

>>5408905
>being this pissed that the mods told you to quit deleting everything in the thread

>> No.5408909

>>5402232
>>5407760
I see that BG's retard filter is still working. Good.

>> No.5408924 [DELETED] 

>>5408869
janny is sleeping or dilating, shhh

>> No.5408965 [DELETED] 

This is fucking ridiculous.

>> No.5409034 [DELETED] 

Why?

>> No.5409110 [DELETED] 

You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.

>> No.5409128

based mods

now if they'd just ban the bitchers

>> No.5409141

>>5409128
now if they'd just ban you

>> No.5409182

>>5409141
butthurt

>> No.5409187 [DELETED] 

/v/niggers seething

>> No.5409369

>>5408221
>The ducal palace fight is pure hell on no reload
it's a really annoying part and fucking bugged out on me last time I was there setting me back like an hour man, I feel your pain, I think you can even get one of those awful situations where your party just has to hang out waiting for one asshole with invisibility to stop wandering in the dark, and it's such a low level to have to have detect illusions up

>> No.5409413

>>5408221
>the ogre mages in candlekeep
?
you mean the ones in the house next to the iron throne?

>> No.5409424

>>5409369
I just kept scrolls for that on edwin, since he can't learn those spells but still use them, a few detect invisibility and detect illusions (like 5-6 total) were enough for the whole game, I usually just used remove magic, works pretty well for the entire game.
>>5409413
SCS moves them in candlekeep, they ambush you when Eltan teleports you back there.

>> No.5409427

>>5409369
but yeah this fight bugged out a lot on my very first playthrough and i had to fight it maybe 10 times because each time either the NPCs got stuck, either they got killed.
So it was pretty much burned in my memory, SCS doesn't change it that much.

>> No.5409468

little tip on how to win (almost) every single tough fight in BG1 scs without reloading if you want to try
in that order
get 3 archers, get gold, get potions of power,
get arrows of dispelling, get arrows of detonation, get haste
and that's pretty much it, if needed use potions of magic blocking and invisibility on your main character and congratulations, you might've won BG1 without quicksaving.
watch out for traps though
too late, portrait's gone

>> No.5409558 [DELETED] 
File: 28 KB, 1298x250, give him an inch, he takes a mile.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5409128
It's not the mods. It's one suicidal janitor who's overstepping his authority and deleting everyone who disagrees with him. He went back and deleted some of his own posts too to act like it was the discussion itself, but the damage is done and now he's all-in hoping the mods don't fire him.

>> No.5409587 [DELETED] 
File: 90 KB, 800x534, things.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5409558
>fire him

>> No.5409616 [DELETED] 

>>5409558
>shit up every single thread with stale pasta and the same circlejerk
>be surprised it's under review
>still cry about it

>> No.5409649 [DELETED] 
File: 28 KB, 1298x250, give him an inch, he takes a mile.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5409587
>>5409616

>> No.5409673 [DELETED] 

>>5409616
how does the pasta shit up the threads on /vr again?
We've seen you cry about that a lot but you still haven't explained what's bad about it

>> No.5409680 [DELETED] 

You can keep deleting all the posts that disagree with you and putting your jani max of 15 minute blocks on people, but eventually the mods are going to take a look. The only rules being broken here are the janitor rules against subjective moderation. And if you think anyone on this board is going to be sad to see a power-abusing jani get kicked who's only succeeded in fucking up one of the most used threads in one of the most stable boards, you must be out of your hot pocket mind.

We get that you don't like people talking shit about Beamdog, but it's not your call to make on telling people what parts of Baldur's Gate are okay for discussion or not. There's a reason these threads hit bump limit multiple times a month without being a shitflinging fest AND still have the copypasta and brief Beamdog discussion up. If you kept your greasy fingers off and did your job right, you'd have seen why.

>> No.5409693 [DELETED] 

lmao

>> No.5409703 [DELETED] 

amber, honey, i know getting fired is tough, lord knows we've all been there, but baby you could've done a little better than /vr/ janny don't you think? a little makeup, a smile. you have to think positive.

>> No.5409715 [DELETED] 

all these shills short-circuiting

delicious

>> No.5409771 [DELETED] 

Does anyone know a good mod that removes content I find objectionable even if it doesn't actually break any of the game rules? See, I'm a cancerous faggot who gorges on hot pockets, and the rules don't matter to me, only my safe space.

>> No.5409942

So, how long does everyone roll for stats?

>> No.5409951

>>5409942
a minute or less

>> No.5409978

>>5409942
like 5 minutes when I made an F/M/T which one of the cases where it takes a lot longer than you want it to. I think he has like 18/08 str which is not good but won't matter after candlekeep.

his Chr is of course, completely horseshit terrible.

>> No.5409985

>>5409978

Does low charisma really have that little impact? It always felt kinda weird dropping it so hard

>> No.5409994

>>5409978
>>5409985
if you play an elf, the minimum is 8, which is not a penalty
7 is when penalties begin, and it doesn't matter at all if you just make somebody else party leader, like imoen

my elf f/m/t's are always like:
Str 18/xx
Dex 19
Con 7
Int 18
Wis 13+
Cha 8
which you can get very easily

in 2009, I played through the game with one who had
Str 18/93, Dex 19, Con 7, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 13
which took me quite a while to roll

>> No.5410169

>>5409985
Charisma, along wtih Reputation, determines NPC reaction to you, which leads to better quest rewards and better shop prices. At some point, though, most people run around with 20 Rep and that means the Charisma impact is lessened. Plus you can almost always get a more charismatic party member to talk for you. And BG2 gives you the ring of 18 Charisma to boot. Charisma stacking is mostly somewhat interesting if you can stack it with Friends spell if you're gunning for some expensive artifact in the early game.

Charisma (and to an even smaller extent Intelligence) also has a very meager effect on your dialogue options in BG2, most notably when wanting to get out of having to fuck Phaere.

>> No.5410720

on my first play through of bg2 right now and I'm kinda underwhelmed so far.
In the underdark right now and most encounters are over before they even begin as long as I've buffed everyone beforehand. I barely even need my mages outside of casting haste and then breach on any enemy casters.
I feel like in bg1 I had to pay more attention to positioning and making good use of my casters since everyone was squishier and had less spell slots, but maybe I'm misremembering since the last play through I did of it was using SCS.
I'm still enjoying it though, pretty much everything else is a huge improvement over 1 and I did have a bit of trouble with that cave full of beholders in the underdark so maybe the difficulty will pick up soon.

>> No.5410801 [DELETED] 

>>5403690
>neverhappened
look at this buthurt fag not being able to spam his stupid pasta :^)

>> No.5410808

>>5402232
>>5402305
>zoomer can't even get past a game's tutorial
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.5410812

>>5410169
>wanting to get out of having to fuck Phaere.
That, or you can just romance Viconia.
She doesn't mind.
She just has some words for Phaere in the Ust Natha finale. Something along the lines of: "did you really think that you can manipulate MY man, you braindead idiot?"

>> No.5410838

>>5410812
Neither does Jaheira, you just have to have a high reputation to make the "I had to" check.
Aerie technically also doesn't, but that's because of a bugged interaction where in the following conversation you're supposed to say that it's all non-committal and then she's mad but actually isn't.

>> No.5410921

blackguard or fighter for an evil 2h swordsman?

>> No.5410954 [DELETED] 

>>5410801
Look at this inflammatory retard shitting up the thread while accusing a pasta of doing it...

>> No.5410997

>>5410921
Berserker (I don't see why you'd really go Pure Fighter) has the most powerful anti-crowd control steroid in the game and will hit harder overtime than Blackguard under True Grandmastery rules (that EE uses). Blackguard gets a few nifty abilities and can cast Armor of Faith, making him tankier, plus he can use the Ir'revrykal Reaver +5, though aside from the on-hit dispel I don't think this weapon measures up to the Carsomyr it's supposed to be a counterweight against - +5 vs Good is usually meh considering the alignment of people you usually fight (either Neutral or Evil), and I believe it has a smaller damage die.

Your competitive weapons in the late BG2, aside from that Blackguard sword, are Silver Sword (only +3 enchantment, but Vorpal on hit is pretty good), Gram the Sword of Grief (you'll be wielding it while applying GWW so the poison is likely to trigger every round) and Soul Reaver +4 (the THAC0 penalty on it stacks). For a long while you will be using Lilarcor, which is generally quite potent. In BG1, it's quite a long way to go until you get Spider's Bane +2, but it's amazing.

Consider segwaying into Halberds if you aren't sticking too closely to the swordsman theme (and you will have way too many proficiency points anyway, especially if you choose Blackguard), ToB has some great ones. Or get a backup ranged weapon if you choose not to go Berserker (though Berserkers can learn to use thrown weapons like Axes and Daggers with no problems).

>> No.5411035

>>5402232
Holy shit, what a fucking cuck. Good thing you didn't get to the rats, because they probably would have raped you, murdered you and enslaved your immortal soul to suck dicks in glory holes.

This is apalling and frankly I am ashamed to have ever been in your thread, OP.

>> No.5411109

>>5411035
Fun fact - rats do no damage, so good luck dying to those.
This OTHER assassin on the other hand...
And then there is always Tarnesh in front of Friendly Arm Inn. If you haven't figured out how to cancel enemy spells by now, you are in for a fun experience.

>> No.5411238

Is there any point to making a mage? I like playing mages but so many of the companion characters are mages it seems redundant.

>> No.5411290

>>5411238
Sure there is - mages are actually pretty fun to play. And with you being able to choose specialization and pick spells from the very beginning you are at the advantage early on - Sleep and Charm are game changers at the beginning. And even then, having two mages in the party is not the worst idea ever.
And it's going to take you a while to get to a good mage companion anyway. Xzar is pretty meh, and you won't get Dynaheir, Xan (who also isn't all that good) and Edwin until Nashkel. Technically there is also Neera, but we do not speak about her is polite and civilized society.

>> No.5411294

>>5411238

Sorc. might be a good option then since they play a little differently from straight mages.

>> No.5411305

>>5411238
There are no Fighter/Mages, Wild Mages or Sorcerers in the base game and Mages are just fun to play.
You can honestly run a full arcane party, up to 3 mages isn't anything outlandish by BG standards, you can even run more.

>> No.5411316

>>5411305
Fighter/Mage is a shit combination though

>> No.5411339

>>5411316
How so?

>> No.5411379

>>5411316
Please leave the premises.

>> No.5411381

>>5411316
The most cookie-cutter dual-class combo and one of the more popular multiclasses is a shit combination. Uh-huh. Interesting.

>> No.5411390

>>5411381

A Fighter fights and needs physical good points.

A Mage stays usually behind and does other things, curing is useful, muh fireballs are shit if compared to a real nazi dwarf fighter.

You are making a shitty jack of all trades that won't excel in anything but creating yellow bottles out of thin air.

>> No.5411418

MAGIC MAN BAD

>> No.5411426

>>5410720
Vanilla BG2 is ultimately an easy game with a high degree of system mastery. People have been able to do solo no-reload playthroughs quite consistently for a long time, even with the inherent randomness of a dice-based system. Once you understand the spell system and what immunities things have, you're generally going to roll through most things without the sensible AI that SCS adds.

>> No.5411429

>>5411390
Okay, you are working off of the presumption that there are exactly two parts of the Fighter and Mage and they do not synergize in any way.

To wit - no Fighter/Mage will choose fireballs and "staying behind" as their primary tactic. They will use the blade to compliment their arcane prowess. The niche of the Fighter is high HP and the best and most consistent single-target damage output in the game. The mage part is adept at enabling physical damage (Breach), tankiness (mage defensive steroids like PfMW and Stoneskin are superior to damage reduction available to fighters) and AoE damage (from stuff like Horrid Wilting or Skull Trap).

A Fighter/Mage doesn't weep about the stunted scaling on his Fireball (though a Fighter->Mage dual loses precisely nothing from dualing from Fighter - it's been mentioned time and time again that it takes exactly the same amount of XP for a Fighter to pass the level 9->10 barrier as it does for a Mage to pass the entire 1->10 levelling route). A Fighter/Mage puts on Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Blur, Ghost Armor, self-casts Improved Haste, fortifies the whole thing with some Contingency or something, finishes the process with Protection from Magic Weapons, then optionally puts on plate after his prebuffing is done, and goes to town.

Pick your poison - a Fighter (9) -> Mage advances exactly the same as a regular Mage would, but gets 9 levels worth of HP, THAC0, and weapon proficiencies (vastly boosting survivability and available options) and has no issues with scaling. A multi-class Fighter/Mage advances in both might and magic and constantly uses magic to enhance his already formidable combat prowess. On top of that, multi F/M can be a Gnome for a school specialization and amazing saving throws.

What you're proposing is a version of F/M that is horribly unoptimized and doesn't play to the strength of the combo at all.

I have no idea what "yellow bottles" and "curing is useful" mean.

>> No.5411486

>>5411429
an ignorant alabama motherfucker who shoulda been killed in the tornado

>> No.5411506

>>5411486
I actually live in Belgium and I have never been to Alabama. My limited experience with American popculture tells me that Alabamans generally appreciate their Fighter/Mages as long as they're not black.

>> No.5411767

>>5411429
Good post.
>>5411486
Bad post.

>> No.5411776

BG1 > 2

>> No.5411861

>>5409985
I actually have 3 chr and there were a few times I used the MC by mistake to talk to people and they just fucking refuse to put up with you or give you quests and shit, right at the start I picked the jokey option with Winthrop and he just fucking tore into me and said he'd have dumped me in the wilderness if not for my grandad.

>> No.5412220

>>5411861
seriously try making a low charisma character and just walking around candlekeep getting bullied, it's surreal, especially if you rolled a goodboy paladin or something your first time

>> No.5412230

>>5412220
ackshyually, you can't make a low charisma goodboy paladin because their min chr is 17

>> No.5412254

>>5412230
That's what I'm saying, Cavalier is probably the most recommended starting character for non-DnD players, so lots of people never even saw what it was like being low charisma unless they were a mage irl.

It's almost really depressing if you're not aware of it because if you dump charisma in the game it's like you dumped charisma in real life, people just fucking rip on you all the time.

>> No.5412268

>>5411776
Unpopular take but I like it.

>> No.5412272

>>5412268
BG2 has a problem of crutching encounters by locking you in a room or ambushing you with teleports during dialogue or scene changes or something. As a whole, I feel like all the games would have benefited more if it used only honest encounters and had branching paths for if you lost like you were supposed to or actually got captured when incapacitated or you could force the enemy to flee based on your tactics, maybe some real time limitations to check the amount of preparation you could do.

Which is to say I really like Baldur's Gate but it ain't no SaGa game buddy! So Baldur's Gate 2 is better by being better DnD, even if it's only kill or be killed battle gauntlets.

>> No.5412282

>>5412272
Like imagine if they took the highlander thing a step further, and all over the sword coast bhaalspawn, like say 20 of them were wandering, compelled to murder each other. Over time the ones that survive would consume power from each other and grow stronger, and you would have to hunt them down before they can outpace your strength or get taken by someone else. By killing them you would gain fragments of power, and at the end of the game all of the ones you didn't kill yourself would have their power taken by Sarevok.

That's what I call a sweet set up man

>> No.5412289

>>5412272
>>5412282
=/= >>5411776 btw

>> No.5412305

>>5402232

Baldur's Gate is seriously shit. Play Planescape Torment.

>> No.5412317

is the setting a nicer place to live in than Dragon's Age

>> No.5412318

which class specializes in spears?
I'm a spear kinda guy.

>> No.5412321

>>5412317
Sword coast is in the forgotten realms setting and pretty much the most popular dnd setting created from the official source. There are others, but the forgotten realms have the most liked and “disliked” npc types.

>> No.5412323

>>5412317
Probably. At least for Elves for sure.

>> No.5412330

>>5412321
>“disliked” npc types
would you mind elaborating pretty please

>> No.5412339

>>5412330
Drizzt for one. It’s you either love him or really hate him. He’s a dark elf ranger which in itself is insane because of how 2nd edition works.

>> No.5412340

>>5412305
Planescape torment event the enchenced edition is underwelming espacially that you required stat to unlock questline wich make the game boring and redundant.

>> No.5412349

>>5412318
fighter

>> No.5412353

>Spend an entire day rolling for a 93 for perfect min-maxed stats on my F/M (16/19/15/19/18/14 after finding all the Tomes)
Finally give up after I remember that I have to give up a, Attribute point at Candlekeep anyway
Feels bad, man. Highest I got was a 91.

>>5412330
They're all x Evil le quirky funni Reddit shitters. I fucking hate literally NPC in every game except Kivan, BG2 Imoen, and Aerie, and everyone else hates them.

>> No.5412360

>>5412353
Kivan is a solid citizen

>> No.5412362

>>5412353
You like Aerie

>> No.5412374
File: 34 KB, 325x409, Tina01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to start playing some Baldur's Gate, then some Neverwinter Nights 1+2. I want to make a MC based on pic related.
What class would work? I'm thinking the alignment is Neutral Good which is how I usually roll.

>> No.5412398

>>5412340

>enchenced
>underwhelming
>especially

How did a 12 year old get all these old games? Are you from Guetemala on your dad's computer which can't run new games?

>> No.5412416

Okay, so serious question. Is using an auto-roller cheating?

Not EEKeeper, but a roller.

>> No.5412424

>>5412416
its technically cheating
you never need to anyway; you can get perfectly good stats in less than a minute

>> No.5412514

Having a problem with BGTutu lads.

I'm crashing everytime I try to enter Peldvale after killing Tranzig. I went there fine to pick up Viconia, so I think it has to do with the Chapter II intro narration.

Is there a way using ShadowKeeper to mark it as having played already?

>> No.5412593

>>5412416
in theory yes, but in practice there's basically always a stat that you can dump to 3 without any consequences
say you make a fighter/mage, or a thief/mage, or basically anything that has no cleric spells, your playthrough will not be impacted whatsoever if you have 3 WIS or if you have 18
Same with say, dex if you go with a backline class, a class that doesn't rely on AC to tank or more generally, a class that has no good bracers options (so almost of them) to get the bracers of dex and get 18 even if you rolled with a 4.
You can dump int even as a mage, it will only be a problem to scribe scrolls in BG1 where there are like 10 potions of genius, and they don't stack like in BG2
etc.
basically always ensuring that you can have 18 or 16 in all necessary stats with anything higher than 85 which usually takes seconds to roll.
So if you want to play your mary sue with a 96 roll and not spend 3 hours clicking a button to get to that part, go for it, who gives a shit anyway, stats don't matter much
who can even tell what's cheating in a game where you can (and are basically encouraged to) get from 0 to 32k XP by watching a ghoul kill basilisks.

>> No.5412602

>>5412593
I think they fixed the bug where wisdom didn't affect your saves
and a wis dump hurts your lore, if you care about that

>> No.5412606

>>5412602
>oh no my lore
kill basilisks, get 32k XP, talk to Garrick, never worry about lore ever again.

>> No.5412615

>>5412606
>sharing exp with a useless shmuck just for identifying
tsk tsk

>> No.5412616

>>5412615
>sharing
it's free though

>> No.5412621

>>5412616
once he's in your party, he sucks up a share of exp

>> No.5412626

>>5412374
Forgive me if I sound like I'm assuming you're a massive nub.
>Riot Blade
>but also extreme magic prowess
>can equip all items
>FF6
>Human
>presumably your waifu whom you want to succeed and help grow
BG1/2: Human Berserker or Kensai (flavor Enrage/Kai as having a Desperation Ability / Trance)->Mage. Get at least 15 Strength (you will likely end up with multiple 18s if you reroll) and 17 Intelligence. If you're a noob to dual-classing and plan to unlock your magic abilities in BG1, dual at level 3, 5 or 7 (these levels are where you can reasonably get a functional F->M in BG1) depending on how fast you want to transition into pewpew. BG2 duals should dual out at level 9.
NWN1: Human Paladin (1) / Sorcerer (rest) [has to be Lawful Good, but that's a small stretch]. Will have 18 Charisma.
Basically, standard-issue "gish" (sword & magic) builds because Terra can equip all armors and weapons but is mostly remembered as a strong caster (your "Mage" side will vastly outpace your "Fighter" side later, but you will always have steel as backup).

>> No.5412630

>>5412621
>get him in party at the 32k XP mark
>dump all unidentified items in his inventory
>right click all the way
>get items back
>fire his ass
>repeat as often as needed
but that's a lot of work for not much, it's usueful early on because your first 10k or so are quite valuable, since there are a few good items and scrolls you need
but beyond that there's plenty of gold to go around in BG1 anyway, if your mage can't id something, just pay the 100, it usually pays off

>> No.5412632

>>5412626
She could also pull off being a Priest of Lathander->Mage in BG1/2 using the same rationale, if you want her to be a caster from the start (you can dual her out as late as BG2, around level 9-10, in such a case). Priest of Lathander has a powerful melee steroid and starts the game as an armored caster with some powerful utility (mostly Command and Bless). Clerics are awesome in BG1. In which case you'd want to be a 15 Wisdom / 17 Intelligence character to pull this off.

>> No.5412634

>>5412630
yeah, okay, that works

>> No.5412654

>rolling a new BG1 char since my Tutu is broken (please help me you dicks)
>trying for that 93 again
>need all three pairs of my stat rolls to sum to ~ 31
>can roll one or two 30s, but the third pair is always something shit like 25 or less
This is what Hell is like.

>> No.5412983

>Pirate the steam version of Enhanced Edition which was meant to be GOG
>Pirate the GOG version of Enhanced Edition 2
>Mod it up into trilogy
>>I'm using EE because it has better system stability than the original which crashes all the time for me, have it on disc
>Doesn't seem to install properly, the game only loops through the SOA/TOB/Black Pits2 selection when I pick singleplayer, so I have to do some shenanigans to make it work
>FORGOT TO INSTALL THE SEND-NPCS-TO-THE-INN MOD AAAAHHHHHHHHH

Is the fact one was the Steam version (assuming so because it had the steam API files in it) causing the looping problem?

>> No.5413203 [DELETED] 
File: 39 KB, 661x245, 1483221068324.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5402232

6. Fuck mods and fuck jannies.

>> No.5413250

>F/M with 14 Con
>Level up from 1/1 to 4/3
>7HP to 14
>What the fuck that can't be right
>Reload and level up again
>22 HP
That's a little better but aren't I still getting shortchanged as fuck? Shouldn't I be getting (d10+0/2)+(d4+0/2)? I could be getting 19 HP for these levels and that fucking game just tried to give me 7. I can see why people use max-HP-on-level mods. I don't need all 19, but fuck getting 7.

>> No.5413349

>>5413250
Just use the nwn style rolls component from the tweaks anthology if you don't want to reload every time to not get screwed by rolls but don't want full HP either.

>> No.5413551

>>5413250
Welcome to dungeons and dragons

>> No.5413682

Turn down the difficulty for those parts of the game and then turn it back up to normal once you get the hang of it.

>> No.5413767

>>5413682
>need all 19, but fuck getting 7.
>>>
>Anonymous 03/05/19(Tue)05:16:53 No.5413349▶
good advice for an actual no dick faggot

>> No.5413858

>>5403691
The pasta isn’t even true. Sure, the additional content isn’t as good, but it’s not like you have to do any of it, and they didn’t do anything to the original games.

>> No.5413863

>>5402232
>>5402305
t. zoomers who don't know ad&d 2nd edition

>> No.5413874

Baldur's Gate 1 is a fine pleb filter.
Especially chapter 1, sometimes even the prologue.

>> No.5413883

>be me in late 90s, fan of ad&d crpg
>bg was a new game
>told my friend about bg 1
>he tried playing bg 1 in my pc
>he didn't know ad&d
>chose fighter/druid
>didn't have any idea about the primary attributes
>finished the tutorial
>went to friendly arms inn
>got ambushed at the door
>got killed
RAGE QUIT

>> No.5414417

First time playing. I want to play good character and I just had an evil Halfling thief and Necromancer join, will they mess things up?

>> No.5414420

Also I'm playing the vanilla game and all beginner advice I find online is based around the EE version with all these added things. Can I get some tips for the original game?

>> No.5414456

>>5414417
>will they mess things up?
Only if you have NPC Project mod installed AFAIK -- there's one minor quest Montaron can screw up:
In Feldpost's Inn at Beregost there's a man who'll try and pick a fight with you. If you talk him down, you can get 900XP, but if Montaron's in your party he'll goad him into attacking.

>>5414420
Fighter is a very good choice for your first character. Try to get your Strength to 16-18, your Dex to 18, and your Constitution to 15-18 for maximum survivability while you learn the game.
Clerics are very, very good to have in your party. The two in BG are a bit out of the way, though.

>> No.5414470

>>5414456
How do you remove him from the party?

>> No.5414479

>>5414470
From the Information tab (looks like a silhouette, has the character portrait and character sheet on it), click Reform Party and remove him from there. Xar will go with him.

>> No.5414505

>>5402232
>wahhhhhh older games don't coddle me!!!
yfw there's no arrow pointing you exactly where to go and you only have one narrow path you can go anyway

>> No.5414695
File: 660 KB, 698x840, 1207b3a796bed6a910a5ea151435100b9daaca89c69a210fb0696950b2cf62b6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5402232
>try to get into BG2 probably around a dozen times now
>keep bouncing off it
>companions are peak annoyance
>design feels like "dude what if we just put a bunch of cool shit here"
>chasing after some gay ass wizard who kidnapped someone who wasn't even my party in the first game for some reason
>quests thrown at you willy nilly
>game pretends to be open
>high level DnD
tried IWD and loved it though

>> No.5415279
File: 281 KB, 1493x1002, 20190306012359_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've only completed the game once, now I'm doing my first solo playthrough as a human generalist mage. Amazingly I beat Mulahey without reloading, but I have a shameful 26 deaths so far, virtually all of them to hold person. Is there no early counter to that spell? I know I can buy a potion to protect against it in advance but it hurts my roleplaying to just look up the fights online beforehand, I try not to cast anything unless my character would realistically think they were in danger and I don't want to go kill the guy for the ring of free action because how the fuck would I know to do that.

>> No.5415297
File: 549 KB, 1080x1080, 1551573203289.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Berserker is literally the only non-conjurer class worth playing

/berserkergang/

>> No.5415307

>>5404649
When you create your character in enhanced edition, there's a button next to accept called 'create party' that lets you do this without going through multiplayer

>> No.5415319

>>5414417
They will fight with some good characters if they are in the party together too long (namely the guys you meet in the friendly arm inn) and they'll leave your party and disappear completely if your reputation gets too high.
You can use them if you want but it might come back to bite you if you go full goody two shoes.

>> No.5415396

>>5415279
>Is there no early counter to that spell?
If you can make it to Ulgoth's Beard, Dushai has a Ring of Free Action.

>> No.5415420

>>5415279
post your avatar here.

>> No.5415836

>>5415279
Your character is always in danger, he doesn't realise it, that's why he dies.
The sword coast is a harsh place, and everyone walking around without at the very least resist fear and a ring of free action deserves to explode in a million pieces
actually, people with a ring of free action deserve death even more because such a prize is more valuable than the lives of an entire village
Kill Dushai in Ulgoth beard if you can't pickpocket him is what I mean.
Also use as many buffs and items as possible. Realistically, in a world where virtually everyone wants to murder you, you don't walk around butt naked. If your character doesn't feel in danger all the time after several assassination attempts and meeting dozens of creatures who want nothing but to die trying to kill him, he is a slow learner.

>> No.5415841

Congratulations OP, you're on your way to realizing that these iconic WRPGs are utter shit.

>> No.5415848

>>5415836
You can't feasibly have buffs up all the time though. Shield, protection from evil, mirror image, resist fear, that's basically all I got at this point and they don't last. Then I rest and get ambushed without them, it doesn't really work out.

My current strat is to pause and cast invisibility at the first sign of serious trouble. That has basically stopped all random deaths so far. It's when I try to fight things that I die now because hold person or confusion and it's all over

>Kill Dushai in Ulgoth beard if you can't pickpocket him is what I mean.
I can't just break all immersion like that. I'd rather spawn the item and say it was a gift from gorion then go to a town I've never heard of and kill a dude I've never met for an item I don't know he has just because it'll win the game.

>> No.5415849

>>5415841
Great post, I tip my fedora to you my enlightened friend

>> No.5415859

>>5415848
You can have shield up pretty much all the time, same with resist fear, and you should always cast a mirror image as you first action in any vaguely difficult fight.
If you can't 'break immersion', then don't play solo. Lonely characters who aren't thieves die because they couldn't pickpocket dushai and never realised she had a ring of free action, too bad for them.
Otherwise get potions of magic blocking, use them (wisely) when you fight mages.

>> No.5415867

>>5415859
>If you can't 'break immersion', then don't play solo
You're right, I'm kind of being a hypocrite here because it makes no sense to go alone in such a dangerous world. Feels satisfying as fuck though to go from humble wizard with 4 hp that gets killed by everything to soloing full parties

>> No.5415872

Makes little sense to play solo and not 'break immersion' anyway, first thing any rational charname mage would do would be to hire someone to put an additional body between him and his opponent's blade, not wander around all by himself to complete some sort of personal challenge but whatever.

>> No.5415879

>>5415848
so why don't you make a familiar and turn it invisible while you walk it around with a summoned ogre or whatever so your mage can stay safe offscreen unless he needs to do something.

>> No.5415883

>>5402232
>gets killed by Shank
HAH! What a loser.

>> No.5415887

>>5415848
Also, always rest at the edges of the map, might save your life if you get ambushed.

>> No.5415901

>>5415887
There's a certain point where you just stay invisible all the time. This is the main reason why a Mage/Thief is much better than a Mage for solo, you can stay invisible while detecting illusions and stealth becomes a means of hiding from enemies who can otherwise see invis. It also makes it a million times easier to get items from shops.

>> No.5416006

>>5415901
Also Mage/Thief generally synergizes better with one of the best spells in the game (Improved Haste) because you can dual speedweapons, especially once UAI kicks in (and even if it doesn't because you're something like Swash (10)->Mage, you always have Belm+Kundane), so you're also solid in melee.

I think the only time a dualable pure class is possibly better at something is pure Kensai and pure Archer, and that's only because they have scaling DPR.

>> No.5416093

>>5415883
Aren't the odds of dying to Shank in the tens of thousands?

>> No.5416106

>>5416093
As a 6 HP mage? He has a dagger he wields with base THAC0 of 20, and either on Insane or due to a crit you might get.... well, shanked.

On SCS he drinks an invis potion and has a poison weapon.

>> No.5416113

>>5416106
I know SCS tries to be rules legal but poison that early in the game is just bullshit. Not as bullshit as Tristan and Isolde though, fuck those two. Hard.

>> No.5416116
File: 417 KB, 907x515, rozwaz.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5416113
On the other hand, Shank's profession is an Assassin, plus it doesn't stretch the realm of probability that a hefty sum on someone's head would necessitate all possible preparation, especially since Assassins rarely play fair. Someone managed to smuggle these two clowns into Candlekeep in the first place, so it's not a stretch to think they have resources.

IMHO them being first level Assassins with a decent budget is in character and fairly legit even if unfair.

>> No.5416142

>>5416116
200 gold is far from a hefty sum. Shank was an amateur mugger at best.

>> No.5416146

>>5416142
I doubt it. Amateur muggers don't easily slip into a highly elite city-state that has its own Draconian laws on who gets to enter and who doesn't.

>> No.5416157

>>5416106
He does 2 damage on a crit in vanilla. The battle is Orlandu with Math Skill levels of rigged in your favour.

>> No.5416202
File: 578 KB, 849x700, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

should I? my character is a monk
i'm also using a mod that changes belts from setting strength to modifying strength

>> No.5416206

>>5416202
Strength is one of the easiest attributes to pump in the entire game, although as a Monk you don't have access to Cleric spells, Angurvadal or Crom Faeyr. I don't think it's worth drinking on anyone; Monks are a pretty bad class overall, but they generally don't suffer from bad DPR or THAC0 in the late game, and they also have low HP, so lowering that some more might be annoying.

>> No.5416217

>>5416202
>my character is a monk
I'm sorry bro, I don't have words to ease your pain
On a more serious note, if you reload, go for it, if you play no reload, don't, save vs. death are pretty fucking useful for a lot of quite damaging effects and you really don't want to lose HP on a non-arcane class that has no protection against crits
Fucking monks man.

>> No.5416274

>>5416217
Hi Dav

>> No.5416280

>>5416274
i actually tried one after watching his stream lmao
he's absolutely right on the matter, i couldn't do anything for the entirety of BG1 and for two thirds of BG2, you just die if you try (or get dispelled and then die in BG2)
And I play on core, not on hard or insane, but maybe I just suck

>> No.5416437

>>5409942
9 hours

>> No.5416442

I'm always on the edge of death in this game. I don't know what I'm doing.
What are essential spells on a fighter/mage?

>> No.5416445

>>5409942
I just use a save editor for starting stats, fuck it

>> No.5416459

>>5416442
Shield, mirror's image, Stoneskin

>> No.5416519

>>5416442
>>5416459
these, plus resist fear and protection from fire (the mage spell gives 100% resistance to fire contrary to what the confusing description says, for 1turn/level, which is long as fuck) for any fight involving enemy casters, spirit armor (base AC 1 and +3 to save vs. spells, which is pretty big, also potions of invulnerabiltiy, there are at least 30 of these in BG1 and a lot more in BG2 so don't hesitate to use them in any difficult fight)
In BG2, add spell immunity: abjuration + spell shield, improved haste, protection from magic energy, improved invisibility (always keep at least 3-4 stoneskin though)
if you have a cleric around, death ward and chaotic commands are pretty handy in BG2, in BG1 resist fear, bless, chant, protection from evil 10' radius

Check the durations, one round is 6 seconds, one turn is 10 rounds so a minute. Spells with duration written in hours are in game hours, so 5 minutes IRL for each hour.
Basically if you want to be as protected as possible, once you have access to level 4 mage spells, stoneskin constantly on, resist fear, spirit armor, protection from fireprotection from evil 10', death ward and chaotic commands as often as possible
mirror image, spell immunities and haste in combat
what i advise is taking the time to understand how these spells work and how they can get diseplled, and how to avoid it; because puttig up this entire buff sequence can make the vanilla game pretty piss easy even if you don't really know what you're doing.
But that's basically it, go through you mage and priest spell books and scrolls, look for useful long and short duration buffs and adjust when to cast them according to their durations.

>> No.5416538

>>5416519
is there way to forget a spell?

>> No.5416542

>>5416538
yeah you can erase it, but why would you want to do that?

>> No.5416550

>>5416538
if it says you can't write more spell for this level or something, just drink potions of genius
actually do that everytime you have to write scrolls because in addition to removing the spell limit in your spellbook, having 24 or 25 INT puts your chance of successfully writing scrolls at 150%

>> No.5416557

I'm going to play Persona 4 instead, this is too much for me

>> No.5416558

is haste op in tabletop too?

>> No.5416562

>>5416558
It ages you if you overuse it, and got nerfed in 3rd Edition. It's still great, though.

>> No.5416564

>>5416557
jrpgs are more suitable for brainlets

>> No.5416565

>>5416564
I don't have time for this shit

>> No.5416568

>>5416557
fighter/mage is tough to understand on a first playthrough, BG is pretty easy to get through with a pure martial class while not fully understanding two thirds of the game mechanics, if you want to you have to read a couple things in the manual or on the wiki
it doesn't take much time nor effort to get started on that but whatever suits you i guess

>> No.5416657

>>5416442
Also in bg1 you can buy a shield amulet with enough charge to last the whole game in the carnival or since you'll have so little spell at the beginning equip a full plate, a tower shield and use wands.
if you play the ee you can get an elven mail that let you cast spells when wearing it by completing dorn's quests

>> No.5416846

>>5416557
These threads don't deserve this kind of shitposting.

>> No.5417602

>>5403512
>backstabbing with a longsword

>> No.5417680
File: 50 KB, 822x960, 1549758176951.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>why yes I do play as a fighter/cleric, how did you know?

>> No.5417706

>>5416657
>if you play the ee you can get an elven mail that let you cast spells when wearing it by completing dorn's quests
If you use the "Disable EE NPCs" mod - and you REALLY should use it if you value your sanity, you can buy the Elven chainmail in Thunderhammer Smithy for some ridiculous amount of money.
I actually kept wondering where this thing came from. IMO this item shouldn't be in the BG1.

>> No.5417818

>>5417602
?

>> No.5417852

>>5416568
OP is a JRPG player. The tutorial in JRPGs are like spoonfeeding a baby.

>> No.5417861

>>5417852
Or a troll.
I was 10 by the time I played BG1 and somehow I still managed to figure out that buying armor and weapons right of the bat in the tavern would be a good idea.

>> No.5417863

>>5417861
OP RAGE QUIT after losing his FIRST battle in the tutorial.

>> No.5417951

>>5416202
So this is what Performance Enhancing Drugs do but this is the Magic version.

>> No.5417952

>>5416202
Is this from the Enhanced version? Don't remember it.

>> No.5418024

>>5417863
I think it might be Spoony.

>> No.5418028

>>5418024
Spoony Bard?

>> No.5418041

>>5418028
Eh, sadly, nothing so jolly.
There was a guy named Spoony on the internet who did reviews of various games including oldschool RPGs and then went into a deep depression where his Patreon is funding him not doing absolutely anything with his time other than scrolling Twitter and complaining about American politics and his life. It's a study of a trainwreck at this point, the man is insane.

He also recently did a Fallout 2 "Let's Play" that consisted of screaming at the Temple of Trials of all things and mass-banning his chat for telling him hints, so raging this hard about the tutorial area of BG1 sounds in-character.

>> No.5418061

>>5418041
Never heard of him. I don't watch streamers. The only one I know is the AVGN. I don't watch his streaming either.

>> No.5418067
File: 143 KB, 700x788, I dindu you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I spent way too long as a kid trying to find out how to cast magic shit as fast as Gorion. Fking hack cheated. Must have...

>> No.5418072

>>5418041
Was he the one hanging out with Doug Walker and Channel Awesome?
Funny, how quickly all of it crashed and burned.

>> No.5418074

>>5418067
It's called Aura Cleansed. You can pull it off in BG2 if you combo Vekna's Robe / Amulet of Power and / or the Alacrity spell.

>> No.5418081

>>5418067
I spend half of my childhood trying to keep up with Irenicus. And then it turned out that the motherfucker in fact did cheat. He'll never run out of spells, no matter how long you fight him.

>> No.5418091

>>5418074
Don't try to bs me mate! I went over him and found no cloaks, amulets or crap just a shitty knife and a note telling me to talk to an elven cuck and his tree hugging hag.

>> No.5418092

Cloakwood is tough. These fucking wyverns are BTFOing my party.

>> No.5418095

>>5418091
Ergo he had cast Alacrity beforehand, or, what's more likely, he used the Cutscene Power spell to speed up the fight which would otherwise not look nearly as flashy

>> No.5418101

I spend lots of time to kill Tethoril in Candlekeep during the tutorial. He cheats. Also that thief in the Shadow Thieves guild. He appears if you kill Aran Linvail before you decide to join the thieves or the vampire. He also appears if you join the thieves and kill Aran.

>>5418081
He has unlimited magic missiles. I equipped an item (or a spell) with magic missiles immunity and he kept spamming missiles at me.

>> No.5418109

>>5418101
You can beat the thief you mean (Arkanis Gath) like every other NPC in Baldur's Gate - by Shapechanging into a Mind Flayer and eating their brains. Of course, it's another issue altogether to have that spell in Chapter 2.

My favourite cheat of all time is original BG1 Elminster not having attack animations programmed so if he ever reaches you to attack you, the game crashes. It's like he manipulates the universe in a peculiar way.

>> No.5418110

>>5418095
Theres no way you can try to justify that! Gorion hacked and you are defending him... Yer a bleedin HARPER arn't you!?

>> No.5418116

>>5418109
I knew that trick after reading some forums because I was really curious if he's killable or not.

>> No.5418118
File: 124 KB, 373x417, M&Z2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5418110
>harpers!

>> No.5418120

>>5418109
>It's like he manipulates the universe in a peculiar way
"Elminster's End of the World" spell. I'm surprised you've never heard of it.

>> No.5418123

You guys have any alternate NPC portraits you like? Looking for something for Coran, but all mine are for chicks.

>> No.5418128

>>5418123
I am using Artastrophe's Paint BG. I like them. Some of the portaits are hit or miss, but overall they have this nice, cozy look.

>> No.5418131
File: 21 KB, 328x400, Fabulous Coran.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5418123
Here ya go. On the house.

>> No.5418137

>>5418131
It stopped being funny after 5e retcons about elves.

>> No.5418168
File: 30 KB, 500x430, elves.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5418137
indeed

>> No.5418170

>>5418131
Gross.
Also I don't get it.

>> No.5418176

>>5418128
>Artastrophe
Wound up using their Kivan for Coran, thanks.

>> No.5418253

>>5402232
it has a slow and sluggish sort of start.
so if you don't have the patience and diligence go back to your arcade shooters or Cawadoodoo.

>> No.5418257

>>5417952
no it's a mod

>> No.5418260

what do i spend money on?

>> No.5418363

>>5418131
>tim curry
now I'm sad.

>> No.5418382

>>5418363
He's still alive.
Mostly.

>> No.5418385

>>5418128
Someone needs to tell those PC portrait guys that Charname is about 17-18 years old. It seems every portrait is someone 35+. Except the female ones where they're all young sexy supermodels.

Also, Jan Jansen is supposed to be a fairly young gnome. His portrait makes him out to be old as fuck.

This annoys me and I don't know why.

>> No.5418406

>>5418385
There are some decent young portraits. It's still better than what portraits in original BG1 gave is.
My pet peeve is - no male elf models, unless you want to look like a long lost twin of Coran or Kivan.
As an elf fan this annoys the fuck out of me.

>> No.5418412

>>5418385
Charname is 20 but may as well look 17-18, being sheltered in Candlekeep all their life before dealing with Sword Coast stresses.

>> No.5418468

>>5418041
go figure a guy with the handle "spoony" ends up being fucking looney tunes

>> No.5418473

>>5418110
>doesn't like harpers
>is a nutcase
imagine my surprise

>> No.5418504

>>5418473
Not him, but Harpers are scum and the sword coast must be purged of their presence
Burning Galvarey estate to the ground best day of my life

>> No.5418507

>>5415297
well no shit
it's easily the best fightan class with no real drawbacks
but then again fighting classes are kinda shitty once you get out of low levels

>> No.5418513

>>5418385
>Jan Jansen is supposed to be a fairly young gnome
never knew that; he totally seems upper middle-aged

>>5418504
they're about the only group I like
I dunno why bg2 went so hard on them being corrupt; gave a lot of newbs the wrong impression

>> No.5418516

>>5418507
Not really, they don't loose any usefulness until Irenicus in hell/ToB, and you can dual class them into mage, which makes them basically the best class in the game

>> No.5418517

why is fighter/mage allowed?

>> No.5418525

>>5418516
>loose

>> No.5418538

>>5418513
Harpers are scum meddling with affairs that do not concern them under the pretense of ensuring balance.
The true balance in faerun will only be restored when the last Harper swings from a tree. The Harper is immunized against all dangers. One may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it runs off him like water from a raincoat.
But call him a filthy Harper and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back "I've been found out"

>> No.5418539

>>5418517
Because it's fun?

>> No.5418541
File: 180 KB, 847x744, 762eb3de28045d062033923c64252623a7185d800dafa663aa8fcc20a44a4a59.jpg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5418516
>dual classing
>not playing pure class no kits

>> No.5418545

>>5418541
>playing X
>not playing Y
>smug.png
who gives a shit

>> No.5418550

>>5418538
i hate how jews always play both sides
harpers are anti-jew; their enemies are pure ZOG: church of bane, red wizards, iron throne, the zhents, mind flayers, literal demons/devils, etc
now here you are with your bigass nose, trying to act like the harpers are the jewish ones
"the jew cries out in pain as he strikes you"

>> No.5418553

>>5418385
He should be 20+ years old. In the novel, he's 25 years old. This is not JRPG where MC is a teenage.

>> No.5418556

>>5418550
>hum fighting other groups that want to influence totally makes us the good guys 100% of the time and if you disagree you are an enemy of balance
Harper logic following me even here, BEGONE HARPER SCUM

>> No.5418563

>>5418556
did somebody foil your evil plans?
cmere buddy, hugtime

>> No.5418567
File: 111 KB, 210x330, Xzar_XZAR_Portrait_BG1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>5418563
STOP TOUCHING ME

>> No.5418572

>>5418553
"Within these hallowed halls of knowledge your story begins. You have spent most of your 20 years of life within this keep’s austere walls, under the tutelage of the sage Gorion. Acting as your father, he has raised you on a thousand tales of heroes and monsters, lovers and infidels, battles and tragedies. However, one story was always left untold: your own. You have been told that you are an orphan, but your past is largely unknown."

>> No.5418653

>>5418572
This entire premise falls apart when you decide to roll an elf. Or a gnome.
20 year old elf is a child by elven standards.

>> No.5418661

>>5418513
Canonically, Harpers were always a bit shady. They are supposed to be good guys, but they are essentially a secret police and a spy network the operate under the radar.
Although, they are buddy-buddy with the Church of Eilistraee - so they are fine in my book.

>> No.5418682

I just restarted as a fighter human guy and now I'm kicking ass

>> No.5418689

>>5418382
He'll probably never act again unless it's as a cripple

>> No.5418749

FUCKING Hell Cloakwood Mines is harder than I remember.
The fucking pathing too, Jesus Christ.
>oop, your green circle touched my green circle, better walk six hallways in the wrong direction
>let me just ignore these dozen sleeping enemies right next to me to keep trying to attack that one enemy completely blocked in the corner who's still awake

I still say BG1 > 2, but holy hell BG2's engine is so much better.

>> No.5418762

>>5418689
He can still work as a voice actor. At least in theory.
He's a pretty fucking good one, too.

>> No.5418880

>>5418661
>secret narc patrol that thinks they have a license to kill
>"they're fine"

>> No.5419097

whic bg2/tob quest mods are good?

>> No.5419101

>>5419097
saerileth is the best mod

>> No.5419136
File: 41 KB, 512x384, cirno.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5402305
>>5416557
This game is too hard for baka.

>> No.5419145

>>5419136
Persona 4 is objectively better than any D&D game
Forgotten Realms is an atrocious setting

>> No.5419154

BG 1 and 2 are literally, LITERALLY: Save-scumming - The Game.

The game practically forces you to use magic and slings-bows at the start and reload every battle until something ends the way you want. Unless you have a pretty good fighter, melee is not an option at all. So much for role playing.

>> No.5419157

>>5419154
This game has been Ironmanned to death by many players.

>> No.5419159

>>5419154
Everything does seem kinda random. You could be totally screwed just because you got a bad roll... this kind of randomness isn't fun or even realistic.

>> No.5419162

>>5419145
Forgotten Realms has a church consisting almost entirely of dark elf female nudists that are obligated by their goddess to be nice and helpful to any surfacer they come across - especially males.
I've seen worse settings, personally.

>> No.5419165

>>5419157
that's after the system and game's design has been dissected numerous times

>> No.5419169

>>5419145
How would Persona 4 pnp work?

>> No.5419171

>>5416557
>>5419145
>>5419169
>Persona 4
>>>/v/ and kys

>> No.5419184

>>5419154
>Unless you have a pretty good fighter
even then they usually just serve as bait/tank while your mages get to work
but yeah, it's an issue with high level D&D

>> No.5419237

>>5419154
>>5419165
this retarded post is literally, LITERALLY: Git Gud - The Post
git gud.

>> No.5419241

>>5419159
not you again, go away and never come back.

>> No.5419243

>>5419159
same, git gud
game literally showers you with everything you need to not rely on RNG ever, not the game's fault if you're too dense to notice or read a spell description.

>> No.5419265

>>5418653
Bhaal shit making all his kid grow faster

>> No.5419269

>>5419184
it's not an issue because a ton of classes have a ton of options to reduce damage to a minimum late game and fight easily in melee
not even mentioning arcane classes who are basically invulnerable and can tank absolutely anything at high level

>> No.5419272

>>5419184
I must have played a completely different game because fighter rip & tear to the very end

>> No.5419287

>>5419145
I bet Cirno can play BG better than any JRPigs.

>> No.5419290

>>5419162
Sounds like typical weebshit desu

>> No.5419332

Would you recommend dual classing starting as a fighter then a mage? I'm totally new to this, tried starting as a mage and didn't do very well
I'm a human heterosexual white male

>> No.5419345

>>5419154
Anon, the last time you tried to lie your way through this discussion to prove this point, you ended up aggravating 20 posters to spam up 491 posts with statistics, calculations, numerical proof and appeals to authority. Please stop.

>> No.5419360

>>5418880
don't be an evil fuckhead then

>> No.5419361

>>5419345
Who the fuck are you implying I am

>> No.5419384

>>5419332
yes, it's probably the best class in the game and a great way to understand how it works
dont forget to get at least 17 INT, then dual at level 9.
You'll be a level 1 mage and level up as a full class mage from now on. It wil take 250 000 XP to regain your fighter abilities.
Best combination is berserker/mage, because you play BG1 as a berserker, a fighter with no downsides (except no being able to use bows very well, but you're a heterosexual male, so you can let your party do that jo while you use a melee weapon) and the ability to enrage, which gives a thac0 bonus, an AC bonus and immunity to all status effects in the entire game (including imprisonment and level drain) except paralysation. Which will still be very useful as a fighter/mage.
If you don't want to bother being a level 1 mage in BG2, scrolls give XP when you write them.
If you fire your party, that's a lot of XP. More than enough to regain your fighter levels without experiencing the death of fun of being useless in combat for a while.

>> No.5419390

>>5402232
Serious question: How the fuck do I find the original vanilla versions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2? I'm not wasting my time or money on the "Enhanced Edition" nonsense.

>> No.5419391

>>5419361
Well, okay, you probably aren't the guy who wouldn't understand a single thing written to him, but trust me, that topic is dead and buried.
>>5419384
As an addendum to this, if you're impatient for any reason then dualling at level 7 is also okay (and the whole dual can be actually completed in BG1 that way). 9 is more optimal, primarily HP wise. Just don't wait until level 10+ unless you're solo.

>> No.5419392

>>5419360
>just don't behave in a way the occult self-proclaimed "good" secret organisation would disapprove of, don't try to change the world or they just murder you, goy

>> No.5419396

>>5419391
dualing at 7 is also ok sure but if you're indeed impatient, do it at 9 in BG2, it's a pain to regain fighter levels in BG1.

>> No.5419403

Would following an ethical code like the non aggression principle be consider neutral good or lawful neutral?

>> No.5419404

>>5419332
Start as a fighter first. After level 3 dual-class into a mage. Make sure you have high enough intelligence. Dual classing from mage to fighter makes little sense. You will stop leveling as a mage and start levelling as a fighter - and in effect you'll block yourself from high-level spells, which is a shitty tradeoff.

>human heterosexual white male
Congratulations.

>> No.5419407

>>5419390
jewgle free gog pc games

>> No.5419410

>>5419403
both, it all depends on why you do it
it can also be lawful evil, lawful good, true neutral, it could even be justfied in most chaotic good characters, and even neutral evil
all that matters is the reason

>> No.5419413

>>5419392
>ugh, why can't I do whatever dumb/evil shit I want without repercussions?

>> No.5419414

>>5419390
it's packed with the EE versions on gog, isn't it? Or was that changed?
I'm also curious if the Diamond Edition of NWN nights is packed with the EE. I still have the Diamond Edition in my gog library when they were giving it away for free.

>> No.5419416

>>5419396
Yeah, I mostly am preaching to the sort of person that would like to be a full-fledged spellsword at the end of the first chapter of the saga - a lot of people like it that way for roleplaying. Regaining levels in BG1 is sorta painful, but you still have all of your Fighter levels and the late-game quests quickly push you to around level 5-6 where you already start contributing (with Fireball/Skull Trap or Haste), plus you can always be the wandbitch for a while.
Just throwing it out there, it's always nice to feel you have options. Some roleplayers out there feel like speedlevelling through your 2nd class through lonely scroll sessions is too cheesy and metagamey, too - not something I personally pay attention to, though.

>> No.5419418

>>5419404
>dual at level 3
just make a mage honestly, the bonuses it gives at level 3 aren't really worht it Most importantly, for a first run, completing BG1 as a martial class is a lot easier than trying to dual class while you're still trying to understand how the rest of the game works and reloading every ten seconds to try things out.

>> No.5419421

>>5419413
>ugh, why can't I arbitrarily define what is good and what is evil without being considered an authoritarian illegitimate piece of shit

>> No.5419426

>>5419421
the only people who have problems with the harpers are bad people
you can't argue yourself out of your evil alignment

>> No.5419427

>>5419418
I think low-levelling dualling is sorta alright if you only care for benefits like armor and HP, but still want to progress through most of the game as a mage. You don't really lose a whole lot from doing this (you're still superior to a pure mage and I'd argue even a specialist mage), at most it's just sorta suboptimal.

On a completely different note, a silly idea I always sort of enjoyed in concept is Mage (2) -> Fighter - basically a Fighter with the ability to use wands, and you get to fix the lost HP dice with Find Familiar. Not that it's optimal, it's more of a "Gorion's really swole magic initiate who found his true calling at the gym" build.

>> No.5419430

>>5419426
>muh bad people
[citation needed]

>> No.5419440
File: 4 KB, 110x157, no reading.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5419430
In D&D, evil is an objective force that you can be scanned for through Detect Evil. If you're evil, you're objectively carrying the taint of evil wherever you go, and you will light up like Hiroshima the moment a paladin walks near.

>> No.5419443

>>5419440
>luddite terrorists, spies and assassins are "good" because game mechanics says so
Okay.

>> No.5419445

>>5419427
Oh yeah, in itself it's not a bad idea, but it's not worth going for a fighter to dual at level 3 for a first playthrough imo, especially if he plans on going all the way, you'll have a lot more options by dualing at level 9 in BG2. Dualing at level 3 when you're still learning the game can be quite the pain in the ass I think, before cloakwood there ain't that much XP to get, if you don't rush the basilisks alone.

>> No.5419446

>>5419440
That's retarded. Catholics have a more sensible notion of evil.

>> No.5419447

>>5419443
"luddite terrorists" is a retconned early editions thing
"spy" and "assassin" are concepts not constrained to certain alignments; there are lawful good "spies" and "assassins"

>> No.5419448

>>5419440
>evil is an objective force
>automatically catalogues you as such if you're not a goody two shoes treehugger
hmmm... really makes me think on (((who))) gets to define that objective force

>> No.5419449

>>5419390
Vanilla versions are packaged together with EE editions on GOG and only on GOG. Not the most optimal deal out there - but here you go.

>> No.5419451

>>5419448
t. butthurt kike

neutral people can be and are often are pretty douchey; you have to go out of your way to be evil
but the harpers also oppose some neutral types

>> No.5419452

>>5419390
freegogpcgames

>> No.5419454

>>5419452
that site was shoah'd

>> No.5419457

>>5419451
no, it's goodolddownloads who got nuke, freegogpcgames is up

>> No.5419458

>>5419454
for>>5419457
it's also a torrent site not a direct download links repository, so no dead download links.

>> No.5419461

>>5419448
The only creatures that are objectively good or evil are fiends and celestials.
Other races fluctuate. Some lean towards good, some evil, but vey rarely that is a monolith.
Even the evil as fuck drow have a lot of good- and neutral aligned individuals. They even have a good aligned goddess that wants them to play nice and gives them candy.

>> No.5419465
File: 110 KB, 1704x489, alignment.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5419448

>> No.5419473

>>5419461
There are fuckton of fallen celestials. "Objectively good", my ass.

>> No.5419475

>>5419465
>everyone i don't like is a retard, an illiterate, a fascist or a meanie
10/10 post, goody two shoes win again

>> No.5419478

>>5419475
calling non-evil people "goody two shoes" isn't helping your argument
you may as well hold up a neon sign

>> No.5419480

is there a map somewhere? I don't like roaming around looking for things.
And do you get some kind of teleportation later on? I keep getting jumped when I try to travel to distant areas.
>inb4 git gud
I just don't have the time to grind through so much empty padding

>> No.5419483

>>5419465
genociding orcs is literally lawful good though

violent stinking pieces of shit they are

>> No.5419484

>>5419478
I'm gay

>> No.5419485

>>5419478
>muh argument
are we seriously having a debate?
I'm just taking the piss at calling the Harpers objectively good, you pull out a screen capped post which is basically a strawmanning lithany of insults, what do you even want to debate?

>> No.5419497
File: 551 KB, 860x701, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why do modders suck at balancing so much

>> No.5419505

>>5419483
well, it is until it isn't
there are non-evil orcs, and it's wrong to kill them because they're orcs

I've always thought that if someone is evil, you ought to be able to kill them just because of it. You don't get to be evil without doing something to deserve it, and letting them live is like letting a murderer or rapist out of prison. But killing them just because they belong to a race that is usually evil is wrong if you don't know that they're evil (and a lot of people, even non-evil types, think it's wrong to kill someone just for being evil, but I don't think they're really thinking about what they're saying).

>>5419497
single biggest reason I never use mods

>> No.5419507

>>5419497
Garbage mods do that, but there's a pretty well-accepted core of mods that appeal to every palate, I posted my own setup in the last thread that I consider to be fairly well-balanced, but it comes from a challenge / replayability sorta nerd, and not everyone likes to play SCS / Ascension. I wouldn't say all mods suck at balancing, though there certainly are issues with content creators trying to put their work into the spotlight.

>> No.5419508

Baldur's Gate 2 has more content?

>> No.5419509
File: 410 KB, 518x501, Sans titre.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5419497
you are like a little baby, watch this
it's not even from a mod, it's one of the items that was never used in the game, CLUAConsole:CreateItem('SHLD7P')
it's class-restricted to rangers but it can be used with use any item, have some free action on hand though :)

>> No.5419516

>>5419505
>hurr there is a scroll that gives +2 strenght, therefore all mods suck
?
I mean it's not even that broken in a game where any class that can do something in melee and therefore ever need strenght can end up using Crom Faeyr and get 25 STR.

>> No.5419517

when a character gets whacked, can I revive them?

>> No.5419518

>>5419509
basically tuns Jan or any mage/thief into an infinte spell spamming machine if anyone's wondering what this thing does

>> No.5419521

>>5419517
not if their portrait is gone
otherwise yeah sure, like just go to a temple

>> No.5419524

>>5419509
why is it called "aura cleansing"? is that some kind of new age joke?

>> No.5419525

>>5419524
no idea but it's pretty fucking fun to use

>> No.5419527

>>5419524
Because the game is coded in such a way that whenever you finished spellcasting and are on a sort of "cooldown" (the time to elapse until the next round when you can cast again), your aura is "tainted". Cleansed aura means that you're ready to spellcast.

>> No.5419529

>>5419509
it's actually SHLD07P* my bad

>> No.5419540

so can I get a quick rundown on how magic works in BG? How do you make new spells? Do you have to look for them or is there some crafting involved? Do you have limited space in your spellbook and can only learn a certain number of spells?
Also to use spells multiple times do you have to memorize the spells multiple times? Is resting the only way to recharge spells or are there mana potions?
Can other classes use scrolls, and are they less effective than a mage's casting?

>> No.5419547

>>5419540
just play the game and read the manual, it's basically "how do i even play this game" that you're asking

>> No.5419554

>>5419509
>+1
>aura cleansing

>> No.5419559

>>5419446
>That's retarded
And false. Detect Evil pings you as "evil" if you are an evil-aligned monster (werewolf, succubus, red dragon in human form for example) or an individual of at least 9th level of your class. Detect Evil supposed to be the last evidence of someone's status as a bad guy, not the first. Also, it is possible to hide your alignment with magic.

>> No.5419561

>>5419547
I'm specifically asking about aspects of magic system

>> No.5419562

>>5419507
>I posted my own setup in the last thread
got a link?

>> No.5419564

>>5419561
that you will grasp in no time once you have booted the game and looked at the mage spellbook at least once

>> No.5419580

>>5419561
but come on, in three words, you don't craft spells, you find scrolls or buy them and write them in your spellbook
you have a score for chance to learn spell, so look for potions that increase your int and write lots of spells at once once you've drank them
there is a limit to the number of spells you can write, but haviong 25 int removes it and the spells stay after the potion wears off, so don't ever bother about that.
there is no mana system whatsoever and the rest of your questions will be answered the first time you open the mage spell book and try to cast a spell.

>> No.5419582

>>5419564
why can't you help out instead of starting a passive aggressive endurance test... the spellbook explains nothing

>> No.5419587

>>5419582
>>5419580
and it explains nothing because you're not looking and not reading, instead waiting to be spoonfed
check the manual, you don'ty have to read everything, but at least check it

>> No.5419590

>>5419580
is resting the only way to restore spells?

>> No.5419593

>>5419590
no, you can wish for it once you've found a wish scroll if you're level 18
just play the game

>> No.5419598

>>5419587
>>5419593
nevermind, puta

>> No.5419601

>>5419598
yeah, go fuck yourself

>> No.5419603

>>5419598
>I wanna play as a mage, but can't be assed to learn how magic works in this game
Fucking zoomers.

>> No.5419604

>>5419603
>please tell me where to click on the screen
zoomers have become boomers we're full circle

>> No.5419606

>>5419582
The basic of the Vancian casting system is that you, the caster, use no "mana" to cast your spells - a "spell" is the result of a long, arduous arcane-scientific training, kinda like the universities and uni students were looked in the middle ages. An 1st-level caster can keep one (1) level 1 spell in his head, which he needs to learn from his spell book, or, if he is a priest, pray for it. It will stay in his head until he cast the spell - after it, he needs to learn again from his book. As the caster gains levels, his mind can contain more and more spells, of better and better power levels - every odd level will give you access to more powerful spells, and every even level will give you access to more spells on the same or lower power level. Wizards (Uni dudes) need to collect spells from either other Uni dudes (this is not in the game) Priests (Church dudes) get all spells their god lets them have (although there is no difference between gods in this game, you can not choose which deity's priest you are), but they are capped at power level 7 while wizards can go to as high as 9. But chuch dudes also hit the gym while wizards don't, so clerics can use weapons and armour, while wizards can only use sticks and darts (they still go to the pub, right?) What else do you want to know?

>> No.5419612

>>5419604
Where are you even supposed to click in the mage spellbook to "learn" anything other than what each spell does?

>> No.5419615

>>5419606
>need to collect spells from either other Uni dudes (this is not in the game)
well yes, you just have to murder them for it, great mechanic imo
there's also poor mighty thalanthyr living in such a piss end town
>>5419612
on the icons, if you're not completely stubborn or retarded it allows you to understand how picking spells works and basically answers half of your questions on its own, try it

>> No.5419623

>>5419615
>on the icons, if you're not completely stubborn or retarded it allows you to understand how picking spells works and basically answers half of your questions on its own, try it
What icons? I think you're... kinda pulling my leg, buddy.

>> No.5419624

>>5419615
It works better in the paper an pen version, but remember please that Baldur's Gate was good because it was a glass of water in a desert - before that, everyone was busy making Doom clones and RTSes, we didn't have anything new for years and Final Fantasy was console only.

>> No.5419632

>tfw gonna try the sarevok romance mod this time
wish me luck lads

>> No.5419636

>>5419624
> Baldur's Gate was good because it was a glass of water in a desert
not really, sure there hadn't been any great RPG release in the years prior but come on
Baldur's Gate and especially BG2 is still good because it's the most fun and interesting isometric RPG, its rules are great and if SCS was a part of the base release, it would probably be the best rpg ever unquestionably
although more obscure for sure, not the most accessible thing ever i guess.

>> No.5419638

>>5419623
>quicksave
>try to write scrolls
>try to cast spells from scrolls
>open magebook
>put spell in the boxes
>rest
>cast spells
congratualtion you've answered your own questions.

>> No.5419649

>>5419638
Literally what are you talking about? Is this a thing in BG2 because I'm still on the first game and not the EE version or with any mods.

>> No.5419651

>>5419649
are you telling me you didn't even right click on a scroll to see what you can do?
Are you telling me you're literally unable to understand how the mage spell book page works?
What the fuck do you not understand?

>> No.5419652

What good is a mage while they're hoarding spells for the right moment? This is especially bad in old Wizardry where you can't restore them as easily

>> No.5419653

>>5419636
BG2 is much better than 1, that's for sure, but it is a problem with ADnD that you don't have many options for low-level play and it shows on BG1. Also, I dislike the idea that you supposed to create only one character, most NPCs come in pairs, and if you don't like one of them, you will lose both. I think the classical gold box system of having a full 6-man player-generated team and a maximum of two NPCs who join for some quests is much better than that.

>> No.5419657

>>5419653
well, just create a multiplayer party and import it
>>5419652
it's always the right moment

>> No.5419663

>>5419606
This is literally magic in FF8

>> No.5419664

>>5419652
The mage supposed to research the problem first, then choose and prepare the right spells for it, and not just get into a dungeon trusting that his Lightning Bolt, Mirror image, Stinking Cloud, Magic Missile, Charm Person, Shield repertoire will be enough for it.

>> No.5419671

>>5419653
I mean, very low level dnd in videogames is tough, it's interesting once or twice, but every time I replay BG1 now I just skip right to the basilisks and get level 6 in 15 minutes.
I'd still say BG1 does it best tough, you level up pretty fast out of low-level hell in Icewind Dale and many other later dnd based games.
In BG1 you can get stuck here quite a while but the few first time around it offers an interesting challenge that allows you to understand the very basic mechanics easily on core rules unmodded. Good atmosphere, not too much bullshit, alright difficulty that somewhat forces you to think about what you can do and what you need. I have a lot more fun replaying BG2, but it's pretty well crafted overall, and the second half of the game, basically after Cloakwood, is more entertaining and fast paced imo. You start to have good spells and enough slots on your mage, the rest of the party doesn't miss every single time, you're out of low-level hell.

>> No.5419673
File: 66 KB, 577x220, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5419651
Baldur's Gate game manual, page 54
Why are you such a lazy fuck?

>> No.5419675

>>5419673
what the fuck are you even on about now?

>> No.5419676

>>5419675
>>5419673 was to >>5419649

>> No.5419680
File: 54 KB, 1294x430, modlist.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5419562
I've rewritten this post so many times that I lost track of the last version of it in the archive but here's one of the versions of this post. The only thing I'd add to this post is that Spell/Item Revisions are strictly for people who are tired of the usual weird spell / item interaction cheeses and want something new.
I'm fairly conservative in modding, don't really care or know much about good NPC mods, I mostly just throw mods in to change up mechanics and pump up the encounters.
DEFINITELY do not install the final line of "spitroast" mods if you don't want to be, well, spitroasted. Improved Anvil/Asylum was specifically designed to not be a no-reloader / casual player's safe space. Mostly there as a curiosity for veterans of the engine, or some really highly competitive grognards - I have multiple Insane playthroughs under my belt with lots of various difficulty mods and I still don't have the patience for this shit.

>> No.5419692

>>5419680
>tactics/ improved battles
how fun is it compared to full SCS + Ascension only?
I'm still trying to beat this in no reload, on my 5th attempt, I would have nothing against a bit more difficulty in many areas, but how bullshit is it? Tactics seems manageable in that setting and seems like it would blend well with both SCS and Ascension but I haven't tried it so far

>> No.5419696

Can you take your time exploring for quests or is there a time limit? I'm not even sure what they want me to do after recruiting Jaheira and Khalid... I see talk about the iron crisis but I don't feel like tackling it yet.

>> No.5419703

>>5417602
what's wrong with that?

>> No.5419716

>>5419696
there's no time limit, when there is, the NPCs will tell you, for Khalid and Jaheira (and Xzar and Montaron,) you just have to get to the town of Nashkel, not complete (or even start) the quest, so just get to Nashkel and do whatever you want, there's a lot of good low level content to the south-west anyway.

>> No.5419717

>>5419696
and you have like 15 or 20 days before they leave after the first time they complain about it, and they'll repeatedly bitch about it during this delay so it won't come as a surprise.

>> No.5419718

>>5419692
>how fun is it compared to full SCS + Ascension only?
Tactics / IB was definitely designed to push it to the limit. Tactics' most famous component (that you could choose to ignore, but still...) is the one that turns the Ilyich fight in Irenicus Chateau into a fight against a barbarian and cleric in their 20s, a mage in their teens, and if I recall correctly, a glabrezu and a balor. Unlike SCS, it doesn't run off the premise of "making the most out of the limitations of the AI in Infinity Engine by giving it access to prebuffing and maximizing its scripts so it can kite you and not spam useless spells on you". Instead, you get hammered with a blunt object over and over again and you have to survive against a heavily stacked deck. It's sorta fun, and it was sorta fun back in the day too if you were so inclined, plus it's rewarding to beat, but it will only appeal to a very limited niche of the playerbase.

>> No.5419726

>>5419718
>turns the Ilyich fight in Irenicus Chateau into a fight against a barbarian and cleric in their 20s, a mage in their teens, and if I recall correctly, a glabrezu and a balor.
thank god I play monk this will be ez as fuck
do they come with SCS style pre-buffing?
because if yes, I have no idea how to beat that aside from running around until all their buffs run out and pray I don't get popped while doing it
Imoen has no spells, Minsc and Jaheira will get popped, if you don't play mage or sorc what can you do?

>> No.5419734

>>5419718
(aside from running away and missing all that delicious xp?)

>> No.5419748

>>5419718
will probably try it at some point though, BG2 doesn't seem to burn me out no matter how many times I play it

>> No.5419845

>>5406119

>2ed ADnD is complex
how do you remember to breathe?

>> No.5419858

>>5412330

Fucking. Elminster.

>> No.5419871

>>5419858
what's wrong with elminster?

>> No.5419885

>>5419414
>>5419449
They literally come in the same download? Like you get 2 different install files?

>> No.5419905
File: 101 KB, 300x402, drizzle foshizzle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dervish (Ranger Kit)

+
up to grandmastery in scimitars
scaling AC bonus (like swashbuckler)

-
no spellcasting
may not wear helmets or use shields
d8 hit die

>> No.5419923
File: 73 KB, 800x420, 020616sjw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5419871

>> No.5419927

>>5419923
he's a white male?

>> No.5419941

>>5419927
Pretty much.
White, male, fatherly, wise. Probably triggers everyone at Beamdog.

>> No.5419985

>>5419726
>Imoen has no spells, Minsc and Jaheira will get popped, if you don't play mage or sorc what can you do?
There are YouTube videos of a guy doing it with a solo level 11 Jester by preparing for combat meticulously and utilizing Line of Sight luring and separation tactics.
SCS precasting and scripts should interact with Tactics somewhat, but I'd be wary of the stability of this combo, especially insofar as some of the Tactics components have found their way into SCS in a slightly altered form and they pretty much warn you outright to watch the fuck out before you confirm component installation - Improved TorGal, for example. And there's also the fact that Tactics comes from a much different school of thought - Tactics is about bashing you in the skull and it doesn't have a sense of fair play like SCS does. The Tactics mod bonanza might be really dangerous to mix with SCS' smarter AI and prepared mages, not to mention that I'd be worried about stability issues in this particular case.

If Ilyich in particular bothers you, simply do not install that component. That's what a lot of people did - Irenicus Chateau in Tactics is already plenty of bullshit, for example getting mobbed by souped up thief mobs when you rest (again, a component that also made it into SCS in an altered form, but it still discourages spending your summer vacation in that place heftily).

Last word of warning about Tactics: when you acquire Celestial Fury, be prepared for a visitor.

>> No.5420001

>>5419985
It's also worth noting that Tactics and Ascension come from the same family - the difference is, Ascension is a mix of David Gaider's personal storyline fixes and some of Westley Weimer's ideas on making more appealing bossfights (since ToB, outside of WK, basically IS a giant boss fight, but some of those bosses are utterly underwhelming in vanilla - Illasera, for example) that can and will pull out some insane bullshit, but the player will meet them at level cap with all the arsenal that entails, so it's not so bad. You also get some special bonuses that help soften the edge a bit (like a certain new special ability in the Throne fight), so the overall experience is much more balanced and it's really easy to forget Ascension's pedigree comes from Tactics, all things considered Asc is something more of a "Hardened Veteran" playthrough than some "CHARNAME Must Die!" shit.

Also, Improved Anvil is something from an entirely different planet. It basically overhauls the whole game so that combat becomes more of a fixed puzzle than an open-ended challenge. Count on pretty much everything being immune to everything, except for some specific weakness (most of the time physical because it enforces specific thresholds for optimizing high APR characters). It's NOT meant to be no-reloaded or casually enjoyed and it WILL fuck you in the ass.

>> No.5420037

>>5419905
-
can only wear armor that allows stealth

>> No.5420145

>>5419885
Yes, you get essentially two games in your library. Both count as a seperate installer.

>> No.5420151

>>5419905
Is Drizzt still a thing nowadays?
From what I've seen most 5e players would rather play as genderfluid tieflings or something.

>> No.5420187

>>5420151
How does it feel to have your entire worldview shaped by retarded ragebait threads on /tg/ and /pol/

>> No.5420201

>>5420187
When you come to Los Angeles you can suck my cock

>> No.5420338

How in the fuck do you beat legacy of bhaal mode

>> No.5420348

>>5419985
>>5420001
thanks for the in-depth explanation, pretty interesting stuff, I will spend a day fine tuning a tactics install when I get tired of SCS, for now I think I enjoy this mod's philosophy a bit more
The better calls for help make pulling aggro pretty tough, I assume Tactics has something like it or does this stuff also not mix well with it?
But for me SCS is a really great mix between roleplay and interesting difficulty, you don't have to play full buffs all the time, most of the components make the fights interesting rather than tedious, and some of them add some depth to the atmosphere and the story.
Assasins in Irenicus dungeon is a great idea, and it's too bad that it's not fully implemented in SCS, you have one "free" rest to at least pick your spells. Stuff like the spellhold components are where it shines the most, stripping you of your equipment and having Bodhi spawn with a small war party each time you rest or if you just take too long. It's pretty interesting to play and somewhat difficult if you can't ever reload (fucking lich and fucking narrow corridor), while it still allows you to stay "in character" and not come with a buttload of enchanted weapons and summons pre-memorized in anticipation if your every-day build has everything you need to rest safely.
ToB with SCS and Ascension seems the closest thing I've played to the tactics gameplay, basically forcing you to come fully pre-buffed to every party and empty ten spellbooks each time if you want your entire team to stay alive or at least not get permakilled. But it's still fun and doable to play no reload.
Tactics seems like a lot to memorize to get to that point, especially with other mods, and I doubt I would play it with vanilla companions. But I'll definitely try it.

>> No.5420349

>>5420201
>come to Los Angeles you can suck my cock
you really want him to don't you

>> No.5420558 [DELETED] 

>>5420187
t. butthurt 5e sjw baby

>> No.5420590

>>5419985
>when you acquire Celestial Fury, be prepared for a visitor.
tell me more please.

>> No.5420656

Should I bother with BG1 NPCProject? I've heard some goid things about it and it allows you to fuck Dynaheir, so that's nice. I just have my reservations towards fan-made companion content in general.

>> No.5420667

>>5420656
> fuck Dynaheir
will misc allow it?

>> No.5420671

>>5420667
IIRC, he gets more confused than anything. The concept that CHARNAME is boning Dynaheir every night it a bit too much for him. He just gets sad that she prefers to hang out with CHARNAME rather than with him.

>> No.5420680
File: 15 KB, 210x330, 7-saerilel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5419101
Based girl from based mod.

>> No.5420684

>>5420656
90% of the dialogue is super cringey, but the NPC quests are cool to have.

Something fucked up with Vico in my game and I had to uninstall it to enter Peldvale, so, buyer beware.

>> No.5420690

>>5420684
From what I've seen so far, Viccy doesn't have a lot of content in the mod anyway. She just gets a few short lines here and there, compared to Kivan or Dynaheir who won't shut the fuck up.

>> No.5420701 [DELETED] 

>>5420680
based and pedopilled

>> No.5420702
File: 868 KB, 1024x768, Baldr007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5420690
Yeah a couple of Kivan's are what I was thinking about when I said they were cringey. On the other hand the ones that aren't cringy are actually pretty good.

I'm not sure what actually broke on Viconia. Googling the problem got a vague "it's a model/animation problem with a sprite on the map" and uninstalling the mod worked, so I assume it was something to do with her. Actually, Kivan's player sheet is screwed up too now that I think about it. Pic related.

>> No.5420705

what's the recommended level for watcher's keep?

>> No.5420708

>>5420702
Weird. She has identical animations to every other elf in the game, so missing sprites shouldn't be an issue.
Are there any other mods you are using?
From what I see, is this BGT?

I once had a "hilarious" bug that fucked Edwin's spellbook after his transformation to Edwina, because my Tweaks mod was installed in the wrong order. Everytime the game was trying to restore his memorized spells the game was crashing. I had to kick him out of the party in order to even be able to rest.

>> No.5420715

>>5420702
>when Kivan start singing and dancing in the forest
Yeah, i'll take beamdog's shit over this

>> No.5420717

>>5420708
I'm using Unfinished Business, Tweaks Anthology, and was using NPC Project until yesterday.

It's BG Tutu. I see "BGT" referenced sometimes but no idea what that is, or if it's just synonymous with Tutu.

>> No.5420721

>>5420717
tutu is bg1 on bg2 engine
bgt is baldur's gate trilogy, merges bg1 bg2 and tob into one game

>> No.5420729

>>5420721
>bgt is baldur's gate trilogy, merges bg1 bg2 and tob into one game
Ah that's neat. I don't suppose it's too literal, though? Like you can't walk from BG to Amn? It's just all the games/expansions on one install?

>> No.5420732

>>5420715
Have some standards.

Nothing is as bad as Neera's "quirky" jokes or Hexxat's edgy attitude.
I remember Neera even dropping "Jeeezzus" in one of her dialogues - I think in Tradesmeet. Because Beamdog writers apparently don't understand how to write a fantasy fiction.

>> No.5420735

>>5420729
No. The game just seamlessly transitions from BG1 to BG2. Similarly how BG2 transitioned to ToB.

>> No.5420739
File: 128 KB, 795x594, dude.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5420732
>Hexxat
How hard do you have to try to fuck up evil lesbian vampire? They even had the shitty "immortality is a curse" cliché

>> No.5420745
File: 293 KB, 808x970, MoARYgP53M.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5420732

>> No.5420749
File: 100 KB, 569x571, 7b2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5420739
>'like totally'
>'crashed on his couch'

>> No.5420754

>>5420739
They've made her a "strong independent" Mary Sue. That kinda cliche.
She always has the last word, everybody is either in awe of her or gets intimidated by her. She manages to intimidate Korgan and Viconia. Viconia then starts showering praises how awesome Hexxat is. VICONIA.
And the entirety of her "romance" consists of CHARNAME pretty much beggining Hexxat for attention.
She's insufferable.

>> No.5420768

>>5420745
>it's funny, because he's a stoner elf from california
Kill me. Please.

>> No.5420848
File: 147 KB, 1024x768, 1423071595067.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i thought this mod was supposed to be good

>> No.5420858

>>5420848
Why do people keep playing meme mods is beyond me.

>> No.5420862

>>5420848
I played it just to dump my warm seed deep in my half-sister's womb. I found it cringey and out of character the majority of the time outside of that.

>> No.5420912

>Called Candlekeep
>It's a Library
Seems unsafe.

>> No.5420937

>>5420912
Pretty unsafe you have to do chores read books and shit and assassins are trying to kill you fuck that place.

>> No.5420952

>>5420937
Given that half of the Candlekeep consists of high level mages - and the other half consists of guards armed to the teeth, this place is supposed to be extremaly safe.
And books are probably being protected by Fire Protection spells or something.

>> No.5420964

>>5420952
I'm aware, dude. Sheesh.

>> No.5420970

>>5420848
You're not really playing the game though. What you posted is an ancient screenshot that has been floating around here for ages.

>> No.5420971

>Make joke
>Not one, but two anons feel the need to kill it
Fuck this thread I'm out.

>> No.5420975

>>5420590
Sometime after you get Celestial Fury, Kuroisan, a powerful kensai/mage with a fuckton of artifacts, including his custom acid katana, the Sanchuudoku, will show up out of nowhere to completely eviscerate you and expand his katana collection. Kuroisan tends to be a fairly memorable roadblock in this mod, mostly due to being a surprise encounter that just so happens to be a powerful spellsword, but if you do kill him, the Sanchuudoku is yours.
>>5420348
You're welcome, I'm glad I could help. No, I don't think Tactics really improves the AI or helps out with pulling aggro, otherwise you wouldn't have to resort to shit like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4_ED-_b0kc
(this is the solo Jester I wrote about earlier).
Tactics is a fairly old mod that's not updated anymore, SCS is still maintained in the meantime.

>> No.5421003

>>5420338
Lots and lots of archery and kiting until you get massively inflated levels from LoB XP gains, then the game gets easier until level cap when you can no longer keep advancing but the enemies still have bullshit values. Overall, it's a pretty hogwashy mode. Summons are pretty broken in it because they also get the insane LoB scaling; one of the powerbuilds that has beaten the mode solo (with I think no-reload) is a Totemic Druid->Fighter.

>> No.5421061

>>5420858
Because the EE, the only version of the game sold in stores nowadays, is about as memey and cringey as pretty much any bad mod out there
Completely destroys the standards
Nobody playing the EE should have the right to complain about any mod's 'meme' status.

>> No.5421069

>>5420971
I liked the joke.

>> No.5421071

>>5420338
You kite everything to death until you can drown them in damage in BG2
What a fun, entertaining and fine tuned experience
play SCS if you haven't, much better difficulty setting

>> No.5421093

+1 STR or +1 DEX for monk?

>> No.5421102

>>5421093
Neither of those will prevent you from being useless in combat and then dying so it doesn't really matter I guess

>> No.5421161

>>5421093
Strength. By the time you get to make this choice, the bonus AC from Dexterity is fairly miniscule, as avoidance doesn't scale well.

>> No.5421206

Question about dualing. Let's say I'm a fighter 7 and dual to mage, does my THAC0 drop to 20 because I'm a 1st level mage now? Or will it still be 14 until I hit level 7 in mage?

>> No.5421213

>>5421206
IIRC you lose everything except Hit Dice and saving throws until you match the level and the tables are added together.

>> No.5421258

>>5420975
Kensai 13 / Mage 14
Katana +4 (regen+1, acid immunity, decrease acid resistance with each hit, acid damage bonus, acid backlash)
Start with some potions effects.
Shit.

>> No.5423548

Best single class to solo from BG1 to ToB?

>> No.5423572

>>5423548
Wiz or sorcerer maybe

>> No.5423575

>>5423548
It's gotta be either Berserker/Mage or F/M/C.

>> No.5423576

>>5423575
>single class

>> No.5423579

>>5423576
My b. I'd guess Mage, then, since people do it solo even at Lv1. Requires wand kiting and other stupid shit though.

>> No.5423716

Mage solo just sounds so... common. What about jack of all trades Bard, a Blade would probably fit best, with his pick locks, traps, mage spells, etc. and Use any item when he reaches his HLA.

Or even a summon spamming Druid. That might be fun.

No matter what class, the first couple of levels in BG1 will be hard, with savescumming galore.

>> No.5423719

>>5403782
berserk -> cleric is underrated and fun as fuck

>> No.5423723

>>5423716
Just watch korax kill basilisks for a bit and you won't have to spend half the game die to the first projectile that comes your way

>> No.5423724

>>5423716
>Or even a summon spamming Druid. That might be fun.
The class lacks Fear removal and doesn't do a whole lot of damage, and Death Spell is annoying, particularly on modded playthroughs.

If you don't want a Mage solo, I'd suggest a Thief (particularly Bounty Hunter) or Bard (due to UAI these two classes can handle any encounter in the game, they just do not excel at speed, but they can be really crafty motherfuckers) or a Paladin solo (access to a dispel on-hit weapon, remotely tanky with Armor of Faith + Defender of Easthaven + Hardiness)

>> No.5423727

>>5423719
>berserk -> cleric is underrated
it's just less good than zerker mage and zerker druid. Which doesn't make it bad at all, far from that, but it's not underrated either

>> No.5423729

i had so much fun with assassin
poisoning mages left and right and then just pointing at them and laughing how they fucked up every incantation

>> No.5423736

>>5402232
>>>/v/
I recommend Fallout 4. It was made with your kind in mind.

>> No.5423737
File: 183 KB, 1162x850, the end.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw your cleric gets high enough lvl to watch every undead fuckin explode

>> No.5423746

>>5402232
I feel like the hack n slash genre is dead
I loved Baldurs gate dark alliance, champions of norath but today the only things like them are path of exile and diablo 3 :(. If it ain't broke dont fix!

>> No.5423752

>>5423746
>today
Grim Dawn
Torchlight 2
Book of Demons
Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
I think you're not looking hard enough.

>> No.5423772
File: 275 KB, 1920x1200, sadfrog window.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>ywn live out of the Friendly Arm Inn, killing Hobgoblins and Ogres
I love these games but Christ almighty they make me want to myself

>> No.5423778

>>5423772
isekai to forgotten realms world

>> No.5423854

>>5423548
sorcerer hands down for soloing
it's head and shoulders above everything else since there's only a few good spells from every level

of course for fun soloing, pure fighter, no kits, sword and board

>> No.5425495

has anyone ever seen wulfgars 2e stats? in 3e, he has 19 strength. They ported drizzts stats over to 3e from 2e without changing the numbers, so if they did the same for wulfgar, then he is supposed to be as strong as a hill giant.

>> No.5425772
File: 292 KB, 1682x740, ding dong bannu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5421061
Don't criticize the EE here, man.

>> No.5425798

>>5425772
>No not my pasta spamming

>> No.5425841
File: 80 KB, 850x850, 1505877973598.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5425798