[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 43 KB, 342x441, 61ZhqgKmlNL._SX342_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5363392 No.5363392 [Reply] [Original]

>you can just easily resurrect dead characters for a few peanuts
and here I thought these games actually could be fun and challenging when playing without savescumming

>> No.5363418

>>5363392
I specifically don't allow resurrections when I DM if a character was beheaded, disintegrated, crushed, immolated, melted, absorbed, bisected, exploded, had their soul taken, eaten, or had their brain or heart removed. Regardless of the level of the hero or the spell.

>> No.5363461

>>5363418
which is how IWD already works because of the overkill mechanic.

>> No.5363472

>>5363418
True Resurrection explicitly doesn't require the original body. Only the soul is needed.

>> No.5363475
File: 279 KB, 600x524, anime_damn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5363392
>tfw no IWD 2 EE yet
fuck, I just want to play D&D 3ed

>> No.5363476

>>5363475
>no IWD 2 EE ever
ftfy and thank xenu for that
also
>inb4 beamdog-pasta

>> No.5363614
File: 39 KB, 661x245, beamniggers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

>> No.5363651
File: 17 KB, 410x328, IMG_4203.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5363614
Holy fucking based

>> No.5363658

>>5363614
I'm going to buy the ps4 port.

>> No.5363663

>>5363658
Me too if it supports custom soundsets and portraits.

>> No.5363667

>>5363392
you can't resurrect dead members if they are dismembered in any way.

>>5363418
like this. unless you play on easy mode i don't think baldur's gate let you bring back any dismembered part members. did Icewind dale? i don't think so, but i haven't played it in years.

>> No.5363671

>>5363614
>This is in addition to adding a slew of ...
This bothers me. It's "slough".

>> No.5363712

>>5363392
>failstate needed for challenge
oh brainlet...

>> No.5363950

>>5363671
>It's "slough".
no, it isn't

>> No.5364004

>>5363950
You know what? Fuck the vagaries of English and fuck you.

>> No.5364008

>>5364004
>and fuck you
how about fuck your shitty memes and ur mom lel

>> No.5364014

>>5363614
>If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now
Who the fuck buys a 20 years old game in the first place? Just pirate it my nigga, Black Isle have been defunct for 15 years anyway.

>> No.5364031

I feel bad to ask to ask, but this is the most relevant thread I've seen for it in two days.

Can someone point me to a rip of the default character voice sets from BG:EE, so I can use them in other games? I've tried like hell to google for it but it's always just pages and pages of "how do I custom soundset?"

I read that there in .ogg format, and I'm assuming they won't work in any non-EE title, since at least every one I've played uses .wav. If that's case, can someone also point me to a converter? I don't know shit about this stuff.

>> No.5364065

>>5364031
some audio players have converters, foobar2000 can turn ogg files into wavs. sorcerers.net has soundsets for and from the old school original games, don't know in which format or if the ones that you are looking for are there though.

>> No.5364075

>>5364065
I'll check out those programs if I ever get a hold of those soundests, then. Thanks.

Sadly, they're not on sorcerers. One of the first places I checked.

>> No.5364181

>>5364004
don't play word police, esl. or take twenty seconds to hit the dictionary instead of putting your foot in your mouth.

>> No.5364193

>>5364075
there are a bunch of wav files inside the language folders of the BGEE instalation folder, which when you play them are precisely the PC soundfiles

>> No.5364229

>>5364193
The problem is I don't have BG:EE. Obviously if I did I wouldn't have a problem.

>> No.5364248

>>5364229
http://wikisend.com/download/446034/sounds.zip
there you go

>> No.5364252

>>5364248
Fuck, I really want to believe that this is them, but if it's some kind of virus or something I don't have the faintest clue how to protect myself from it.
Thanks anyway.

>> No.5364253

>>5364252
lol just trying to help , check it with virustotal or whatever, it's just a zip file with the wavs

>> No.5364258

>>5364253
>check it with virustotal or whatever
That's over my head.

>> No.5364270

>>5364258
well if you really want them, the link stays active for a week and you can ask someone who you trust to check the link and the zip file for you.

>> No.5364276

How's this team look so far:
Dwarf Barbarian dual wielding axes
Illusionist/Thief
Sorcerer
Elf Fighter/Mage with long bows and long swords
Totemic druid
What should my last party member be?

>> No.5364279

>>5363614
doesn't gog still have the originals, though?

>> No.5364284

>>5364270
I don't have anyone like that.
Short of getting them off an actual content host like sorcerers or gibberlings3, I guess I'm SOL.

>> No.5364301

>>5364284
>asks for helps
>someone on 4chan actually helps
>says fuck it, im computer illiterate and you wanna fry my PC.

im kinda gald I grew up in a time when looking for a tit on the internet took about an hour and you could get a virus that fucked up your hdd.

>> No.5364306

>>5364301
It's just Pascal's Wager. I can continue without the soundsets I already don't have, or I can wind up with a computer virus I can't do anything about and be out irreplaceable data and a PC I can't afford.
No offense to the anon, but, this is 4chan.

>> No.5364349

>>5364276
When in doubt, get a Bard. They're awesome in IWD (great song support compared to BG, free 2500 XP in the first location). Otherwise, Paladin for the Holy Avenger you can encounter and a bonus meatshield with some useful buffs.

>> No.5364357

>>5364349
Also, since you're playing EE: Inquisitors aren't as cool as in BG2 as there's not much of a point to free powerful Dispel Magics everywhere, and you lose some cool defensive spells (most notably Armor of Faith). Get either of the other two kits.

>> No.5364396

>>5364276
a 3 or 4 person party is ideal, so if you want 6 make sure they really fit

the barb is fine, but a berserker would be a ton better

you don't need three mages; it'd be better to have one single class mage (whether illusionist or sorcerer is up to you)

id switch the fighter/mage to a fighter/thief

I can't speak for totemic druids, but druids in IWD are supposedly pretty good

regular bards are great, especially once they get their last song (you can even make the bard your one mage, but I don't think I would)

The best run I've ever had in this game was with a dwarf fighter, human cleric, halfling fighter/thief and elf mage. Completely roflstomped the whole game.

>> No.5364451

A couple of classic BG questions for you guys.

How do you pull a mage's Mirror Image, or Invisibility/Improved Invisibility? And beyond that, does Mirror Image 'trick' AoEs like Hold Person? Dispell Magic?

Thiefs' Find Traps doesn't have the Detect Illusion component in BG as far as I can tell, so that seems to leave only the Detect Invisibility wizard spell and Invisibility Purge priest spell. Dispell Magic as well?

>> No.5364473

Will I miss anything if I go through bg2 with an evil character for my first time?
I'm really enjoying this evil fighter/cleric I made in bg1 but I usually like to play a goody two shoes on my first play through of rpgs.

>> No.5364517

>>5364396
>a 3 or 4 person party is ideal, so if you want 6 make sure they really fit
Unless you hate micromanagement then this setup isn't "ideal" at all, you get showered in XP in IWD, and at level cap that XP goes to waste. This advice is even more suspect on Heart of Winter.
>a berserker would be a ton better
This isn't BG2 where Berserkers reign supreme due to the way weapon proficiencies work out for them in BG2 progression and at-will immunity to Imprisonment.
The rage immunities for Barbarian work very well for IWD1 content, the Barbarian doesn't fatigue after the rage is over, the Barbarian is better at archery (which is amazing in IWD1), the Barbarian has more HP and a much stronger early game (+4 Strength and +4 Constitution is ridiculous even in a game that cares more about itemization than stats, and this isn't BG2 where any schmuck can just pick up Crom Faeyr)
>you don't need three mages; it'd be better to have one single class mage (whether illusionist or sorcerer is up to you)
Dual and multi mages are pretty much always superior to regular mages because IWD is a martial's game. If he has a Fighter/Mage, he's stronger than with a single-classed Mage.
>druids in IWD are supposedly
they're straight up superior to Clerics and if you only want a single divine caster in your group, you go Druid.
>dwarf fighter, human cleric, halfling fighter/thief and elf mage. Completely roflstomped the whole game.
If your post was aiming at optimizing his run then the only optimized character in your group is the halfling fighter/thief for Helm of the Trusted Defender placed on a competent combatant.

>> No.5364529

>>5364517
I didn't hit level cap, and I did everything.
Proficiencies work the same in IWDEE as in BGEE, str potions exist, archery doesnt matter when you're throwing axes with a str bonus + grandmastery, the AC bonus is better than a small/x per day bonus to attack and HP at the cost of AC
my single-classed mage in a party of 4 had ONE 7th level spell when I fought belhifet, a dual/multi mage would be even farther behind (though dualing into mage after a couple levels would make virtually no difference)
well, I like turn undead but I've never used a druid in IWD so I can't say if they're better or not (but I've heard they are good so I said so)

anyway naw, it's pretty dang optimized

>> No.5364564

>>5364529
>anyway naw, it's pretty dang optimized
Single-classed Clerics and Mages are 1 APR combatants that lose pretty much nothing from mixing with Fighter. The single level 7 spell you could get from the original IWD level cap (around 1,801,000 for a level 14 mage) isn't worth lugging around a squishy character who can't use any of the vast armory available in IWD, purely optimization wise.
This isn't BG2.
>str potions exist
The arguably most common Frost Giant Strength potions sold in Kuldahar can be combo'd with 25 Strength on Barbarian rage for massive damage and to-hit returns as burst damage.
>archery doesnt matter when you're throwing axes with a str bonus
Still stronger on a Barbarian due to Berserker rage not providing Strength. Archery (on both bows or crossbows) is used for excellent ammunition.
>Proficiencies work the same in IWDEE as in BGEE
They do, but the context is wholly different due to much of IWD revolving around random loot (barring savescumming). Going for just one weapon type is not necessarily the most optimal, and the returns from Grandmastery aren't as great.
>HP at the cost of AC
HP is better than avoidance, and Barb gets d12 health and faster speed to both engage in and engage out faster. You're also forgetting the % damage reduction.
The only time Berserker is "a ton better" is when he's a Human (so that he can dual-class), but we're talking about a Dwarf and what matters more to the OP is enjoying his party of 6 OCs rather than build autism. I would personally replace the Illusionist/Thief with a Fighter/Thief and so on, but it still doesn't really matter; this would be more of an issue if it was vanilla IWD and he didn't have a Sorcerer, who doesn't care about scrolls. 2 mages sharing scrolls between one another works.

>> No.5364593

>>5364564
>that lose pretty much nothing from mixing with Fighter
they lose spells and earlier access to them
>combo rage and potions
alright that is pretty cool
>Still stronger on a Barbarian due to Berserker rage not providing Strength.
I'm not so sure, especially when you add in the extra attacks the fighter gets.
>Going for just one weapon type is not necessarily the most optimal
you always find a ton of good axes, and several are guaranteed
I have always got the returning throwing axe, the defender +2, the celebrant +4, and then there is the one in the expansion that can be made +5

Anyway, I'm speaking from experience. My one dwarf fighter laid waste to everything he encountered, the only challenge in the whole game was lvl 4 of dragon's eye with those fucking yuan-ti priests and their trolls; it's all downhill after that
I was killing frost giants with the throwing axe before they could even get to me, it was ridiculous

>> No.5364596

>>5364473
>Will I miss anything if I go through bg2 with an evil character for my first time?
Ask yourself this: Would you miss anything if you went through BG2 with a good character for the first time? The answer is not really; Baldur's Gate is built to ensure your character ultimately kills the bad guys and incidentally saves everyone and you basically have to eat kittens between heroics by killing random NPCs or picking really fucktarded quest resolutions that don't really benefit anyone if you really want to commit to being evil. So you're basically "a massive asshole superhero". On the plus side, though, the Evil NPCs are some of the most memorable and have a lot of straightforwad power, particularly Korgan and Edwin. Mix them with Jan for hilarious color.

>>5364451
>How do you pull a mage's Mirror Image
Shoot it with Bows or even more optimally Darts until it dies. Darts are good because you just need to hit an image for it to be gone. High level Magic Missile is generally fairly optimal as all 5 missiles pretty much guarantee the images are gone, as you're not facing SCS mages in vanilla BG1.
>does Mirror Image trick AoEs
It does. Dispel Magic, however, is a special case and although my memory of pure unmodded unfixed unBGTified vanilla BG is hazy, I'm sure Dispel beats Mirror Image.
>Invisibility
Detect Invisibility, duh. Otherwise the good old tactic of "guess where the mage would stand from invisibility and the moment they start casting, shoot to interrupt". Instant cast spells like Magic Missile help here.
>Dispell Magic as well?
This should work as well, but you can't target the enemy himself.

>> No.5364607

>>5364593
>they lose spells and earlier access to them
The opportunity cost of losing those spells is honestly not something I'd really write home about compared to the bonus martial prowess throughout the whole game, especially since in case of the Arcane you're still gated by scrolls which are random like all loot, and Divine casters have less powerful spells overall (although some are really strong still).
>Anyway, I'm speaking from experience. My one dwarf fighter laid waste to everything he encountered, the only challenge in the whole game was lvl 4 of dragon's eye with those fucking yuan-ti priests and their trolls; it's all downhill after that
Well, of course, the game as-is is pretty damn beatable with anything and a straight single-classed martial is going to be really strong.
I just thought it weird that the anon has already figured out 5 out of 6 of his dream team and your response is like "no, go 3-4, it's ideal", I thought it wasn't ideal. I ensure you a dwarf barbarian in the same setup will also have no problem wrecking face. Personally, I think BG2 kits hardly have a place in IWD1 and outside of some of the less disgustingly overpowered ones they trivialize much of the content.

IWDEE makes it even more gross as Dwarven Defender in the specific IWD context is stronger than either Barb or single-classed Berserker.

>> No.5364613

>>5364607
>especially since in case of the Arcane you're still gated by scrolls which are random like all loot
there are plenty of them though; my mage, despite having 1 7th lvl slot, had a ton of 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells in her book

>Personally, I think BG2 kits hardly have a place in IWD1 and outside of some of the less disgustingly overpowered ones they trivialize much of the content.

I agree, which is why I went with my party even though I'm using EE. Barbs fit pretty well, though, honestly.

>> No.5364742

elf cleric
human ftr 3 (bows)/mage
gnome fighter

half elf bard
half-orc barbarian
dwarf ftr/clr
gnome or halfling ftr/thief
sorcerer
druid

>> No.5364871

i had a fun run in this game with a fighter/mage, fighter/cleric and fighter/thief trio. good times

>> No.5364909

>just got a group invisibility spell off a doppelganger drop in bg1
>died to a trap immediately afterwards
>forgot to save
just fuck my spell book up.

>> No.5364984

just rolled a 92 with 18/00 strength
but 4chan wont let me open the "choose file" window or save images for some reason

>> No.5364998

Just how bad are the EE characters?
The only interaction I've ever had with any of them is when I steal Neera's gem bag.

>> No.5365075

>>5364998
that's really all they're good for

the monk has really cringey speech, the half-orc is fanfic tier awful/disturbing, and neera is like a quirky/wacky modern girl in a 90's medieval setting, and their quests are weird, buggy, and unbalanced

btw, you can get the scrollcase by helping out firebeard elvenhair and and can buy the potion bag from the wizard at high hedge

>> No.5365106

>>5364306
It's you being retarded

>> No.5365108

>>5363614
>"we must never let anybody forget how sexist the past was"
>story set in a medieval society depicts sexism
>"oh this won't do"

>> No.5365134

>>5364998
I think Rasaad is the least atrocious - he is simply bland and boring.
Dorn is a OC Coldsteel the Hedgehog variety of a fanfic edgelord played ridiculosly straight - even fucking Sarevok praises him how awesome he is.
Neera is your typical pink-haired Californian valley girl that thinks she's funny and cool - she doesn't fit the tone of the game at all.
And Hexxat is a strong, independent, black lesbian vampire that always has to have the last word and is "too cool" for anybody to talk to her. She even manages to intimidate Korgan and Viconia, who later on sings praises how awesome Hexxat is.

All of those characters are really disruptive and have this tendency to be too cool for everything that's going on. They always get the last word. You'll notice that something is wrong when Neera continues to shittalk Viconia without her ever having a chance to talk back.

>> No.5365156

>>5365075
I don't think me having a potion bag is a good idea, it would just allow me to hoard my stuff even more than I already do.
Last playthrough I still had hill giant strength potions I got in chapter 1 on me when I went into the sarevok fight.

>> No.5365335

>>5363667
I'm maybe not remembering correctly, but I recall two tiers of buyable revive spells. They were Return Life and Resurrect, the latter could bring a member back from anything and cost twice as much as the first which could only revive party members who died "whole".

>> No.5365346

>>5365335
Can you actually resurrect elves in IWD? There was something about them being unrevivable when they die.
Their souls fuck off to Arvandor or something.

>> No.5365785

>>5365346
in the original version (maybe EE too, I dunno), you couldn't use one of the revive spells on them, but I don't remember which

>> No.5365880

>>5364871
that does sound fun

elf ftr/mage
gnome ftr/thief, axes
dwarf ftr/cleric

i'd switch the gnome and elf, but the elf ought to use swords and bows, and the gnome shouldnt be in melee with axes

>> No.5366030

>>5365346
can at temple, costs twice as much

>> No.5366072

>>5364031
Humbly bumping this.

>> No.5366105 [SPOILER] 
File: 82 KB, 769x575, 1549996512019.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5364252

The things I'm doing for random strangers on /vr/...

The file is legit.
You'll have to trust a random stranger on the internet, though. I've run it through my AV and it's clean. I can show you the result - it's in Polish though, so keep that in mind.
And it's an .ogg file, so you probably won't hear the sounds anyway,unless you have proper software.

Also, why are you so insistant on BG:EE files, anyway? IWD default character soundfiles are way, way better then BG ones and easier to get. One of them even has Mark Hammil in it (HOWMALE2).

>> No.5366119

>>5366105
>insistent
I'm just collecting them all. I don't even know what most of them sound like. I wasn't trying to ask anyone to jump through hoops for me, just point me to a Beamdog thread or gibberlings3-sort of content host I may have missed because of Google's congested inaccurate results.

>> No.5366134

>>5366119
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1107-awesome-soundsets-vol-3/
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1106-awesome-soundsets-vol-2/
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1102-awesome-soundsets-vol-1/

There - NPC soundfiles from BG:EE, IWD 1&2 and PST all in .wav format.

>> No.5366186

>>5366134
That actually have the soundsets from BG:EE, but I appreciate it. I'm talking about the default CHARNAME soundsets. It's weird that no one's repackaged them for BG2. Unless literally no one liked any of them.

>> No.5366352

>>5366186
they're posted in the thread, someone else confirmed they're ok, yet you still are here begging like a child to get a link to download from a "trusted" site... maybe you should beg on those sites instead of looking like a child whith a whim on this forum, specially if you're the kind of guy who doesn't know how to scan a file for viruses neither with software on his PC or an online service.

>> No.5366357

>>5365108
this. lol.

>> No.5366412

>>5366352
Not that I could see. The first 4-5 pages are the posts that eventually made it into the pinned volumes, and the last 8 pages are talking about some installation engine bug.
The SoD CHARNAME sounds got posted on page 13, but that's just the sets that got added in SoD.

>> No.5366598
File: 476 KB, 1051x723, SiegeOfSocialJusticeSpear.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5363614

>> No.5366614

>>5366105
>IWD default character soundfiles are way, way better then BG ones and easier to get
Not just in English. Rzekł raz lisek do zająca... giń, durniu!

>> No.5366870

https://i.imgur.com/RB4qEI5.png

you know you're jelly

>> No.5366882

>>5366598
>getting that triggered over 0.0001% of the game's content
cuck city

>> No.5367046

>>5363392
i got icewind dale 2 on gog but i cannot play it in widescreen mode.
I installed the mod but it didnt work.
i dont know what to do im not good with computers

>> No.5367053

>>5365346
>>5365785
>>5366030
Yeah, I am remembering correctly (go me). Return Life doesn't cut it on elves lore-wise because, as was stated, their souls have fucked off, so you'd end up with a living body without a soul. Resurrect costs twice as much and can revive elves and the dismembered and also brings you back at full health.

To the OPs point it does get tough and add up after awhile especially if you're shit at abusing DnD mechanics, like I was at 12. I should really re-play the game without savescumming so much.

>> No.5367065

>>5367053
you don't need to abuse anything to beat this game, but knowing the mechanics keeps you from making stupid decisions

>> No.5367084

>>5366882
this right here.
I also bet most of these lame fucks weren't playing the game back in the day and have no idea how the gaming communities of these particular games were; if they had an idea, they would notice similar patterns in the playable NPCs of the new content and also the scripted events, including fights, and wouldn't be surprised about how modern official releases of the series are. Maybe if they had been the ones actively supporting the game and creating content while messing around with the engine, like those communites were, they would of had participated in the creation of official content and the remakes while getting paid for it. It's a generational thing though, late millennials and zoomers are mostly cancer.

>> No.5367092

>>5367084
Haha, yeah bro. I totally remember the rampant misandry and open homosexuality and transsexuality that dominated the videogame industry in the late '90s. It's definitely not something that's only cropped up in the last five years specifically because it didn't exist a decade or two ago.

>> No.5367158

>>5367092
>the rampant misandry and open homosexuality and transsexuality
you see, now you're exaggerating and also talking abnout the gaming community as "a whole" when the thing in discussion is about the people actively playing and creating mods and npcs for a specific game series during that time. This exaggerating is precisely the thing that's shitty about this age as a whole, you making a fuss about an optional gay character or transexual NPC that appears in Baldur's Gate... wtf? how could anyone be surprised by that, or let alone feel as something is trying to being shoved down their throat. In any additional content made to the base game you're gonna see part of the creators persona added to the content, that's how the modding community was mostly working back then, and those who weren't and trying to create a more "this is how is was supposed to be" material, like the ascension mod, also could never make it feel as if it was part of the original game imo. I think that, if you don't like it, simply don't play it, but you also go on a crusade shitposting/talking about a conspiracy to normalise fags... which in the end makes you look bad, not the other way around... or maybe like you need to go out a bit more bro, have some fun I dunno.

>> No.5367628

>>5363392
You can also have dead characters permanently killed if they took too much damage when dying. I believe -10 HP was the threshold?

>> No.5367690

>finally get through durlags tower got heaps of cash and good items out of it
>realize I've got noting to use any of this shit on since I went through it just before fighting sarevok
When do you guys usually go through the tales of the sword coast stuff? Seems like a waste to wait until late game to do it.

>> No.5367710

What mods would you guys recommend for iwd/bg? So far all I've used is scs and unfinished business.

>> No.5367820

>>5367158
>bro complaining about shitty retarded content added by a bunch of hacks that didn't even work on the original to a timeless classic is necessarily political and if you disagree you're a misogynist homophobic pig
Fuck off retard.

>> No.5367873

>that first orc cave on insane difficulty
it's such a difficulty spike in icewind dale

>> No.5367887
File: 65 KB, 237x233, 14413507982000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread might be exactly what I was looking for.

Played Icewind Dale 2 recently, my party got a paladin and a ranger. When both hit level 4 they got their respective level 1 spells. WHen the paladin hit level 8 he got his level 2 paladin spells, but when the ranger hit level 8 he didn't get any new ranger spells. Both are now level 9, the ranger still didn't get any new spells. Both have the same WIS. I know there is a chance that the ranger gets his new spells at level 10, but this is still bothering me. Didn't have the time to play yet and get him to that level.

So, is there a chance that the game just bugged out a bit? I got the GoG-version.

>> No.5367905

>>5367887
The only explanations I have for that is that IWD2 might run the Paladin's bonus spells off of Charisma instead of Wisdom or the Ranger's spell progression is fucked up. If they both have 13 WIS neither of them should have 2nd level spells but if they have 14 WIS they both should have them.

>> No.5367915

>>5367905
They both have a WIS of 14. But I didn't take the bonus Charisma into account, thanks for the answer.

>> No.5367920

Ok, so I noticed that resurrecting characters actually costs a ton of money after a few times using it. Maybe not as broken as I first thought

But still pretty unimmersive. They should have rather turned the people into injured sprites who are unable to fight or something.

>> No.5367928

But seriously, how are you supposed to clear the first orc cave in icewind Dale on insane difficulty without losing any characters.
That shit is the hardest part since everyone is still so low level and there are a ton of orc archers.

>> No.5367954

>>5367928
Crowd control spells are your friend.

>> No.5368112

>>5366870
that you linked to an image instead of posting it? yeah, totes.

>> No.5368283

>>5367928
are you playing on insane without the damage or exp increase? cuz that's how I roll

you can move up, spot a couple, then move back and they'll follow, make sure you're using whoever has the best AC, then focus fire them one at a time, going from strongest to weakest

>> No.5369557

>>5368112
totes mcgee, brah, like, for real, y'know?

>> No.5369607

>>5368283
It's like the dark souls of infinity engine games.

>> No.5370178
File: 1.50 MB, 1920x1080, 2019-02-14_2014_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just finished up my first evil playthrough of bg1. everyone really pulled their weight in this party, I was missing an archer which I thought would really hold me back but everyone was doing so well that I never felt the need to replace anyone.
Montaron was the mvp for a lot of encounters surprisingly, he definitely sold me on fighter/thieves, will probably make one next time I play.

>> No.5370354
File: 261 KB, 332x397, 1364218728406.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5370178
>Evil party
>Not taking Dorn instead of Kagain or Montaron

>> No.5370415

>>5370354
>using an EE character

>> No.5370476 [SPOILER] 
File: 802 KB, 499x706, 1550154522721.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5370354
Dorn is worse an NPC than either of these.
Blackguard has been nerfed fairly early into EE patch cycles (along with Assassin, because they didn't bother coding a separate poison ability for a potent martial and for a 1 APR thief, genius move) and aside from that, his stats are much less impressive than either of the two OG characters.
These two are high CON shorties, which means enhanced saving throws, Kagain is a pure warrior (better damage scaling overall, even in spite of Dorn's strength; Strength is, overall. in BG series, one of the easiest attributes to fix, and the half-orc's one niche stops being relevant fairly soon). Montaron has added utility (easier to fit into a party, backstabs in BG1 not outscaled yet) and better proficiencies - for one thing, he's a competent ranged character, which is a big boon in BG1 (magic ammo and the overall benefit from not being in range of dangerous beasts, easier mage disabling, better THAC0, 2 attacks per round early game...).
Dorn, for a warrior, is middling because outside of his unique greatsword (which you will replace with Spider's Bane ultimately) he is lacking Constitution.
Shar-Teel is better than Dorn. She has exactly the same Constitution bonus (yes, 9 Con and 14 Con are virtually the same in the game mechanics), but she's actually capable of being dualled into a Thief (which adds to versatility in compositions), will ultimately do more damage (with greater weapon specialization) and is a capable archer from the start, nullifying the Con's weaknesses by a large margin.
There's never a reason to pick Dorn over any of the other evil warriors, powergaming wise. And personality-wise, well, I can't deny having a weakness for half-orc men, but even I find Dorn overrated in that regard, mostly because his personality is meh and his special status (guy from distant land on a mission that is a complete outsider and has his own special weaponry that doesn't break, lookathim!) is bad.

>> No.5370516
File: 1.59 MB, 300x225, lloyd.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5370476
>female furries

>> No.5370520

>>5370516
Having hots for half-orcs isn't furry.
Most fantasy art presents them as hunky supermodels with a bit of a bad boy attitude, so sue me.

>> No.5370576

>>5370178
since you used kagain, tell me, was he a lightning bolt magnet for you as well?

>> No.5370664

i must say the resting mechanic in these games is really broken and annoying
you always can just kill a few enemies, go back outside the dungeon, rest for OP spells, and go back in to kill more

i find this really annoying, because it makes the game way too easy
you don't even really need all the items you have, when you can just easily refresh spells as much as you want

>> No.5370679

>>5370664
the solution, however, is dirt simple: don't do that

>> No.5370707

>>5370664
>Sleeping is OP
>Too stupid to self-regulate
I'll never not be frustrated by people with stupid opinions.

>> No.5370750

>>5370679
>>5370707
so games don't need difficulty balancing in your opinions then?
people like you are the reason games like skyrim exist, where you can just totally break the system by crafting a bunch of daggers

>hurr game has a "press x to win button"? who cares, just don't press it!

lmao

>> No.5370763

>>5370354
>evil party
>not using coldsteel the hedgehog instead of fucking dorn
Why would you use the bland copy when you could have the flamboyant original
In other words, fuck off you shit eating nigger

>> No.5370773

>>5370750
>hurr let me grasp at straws because I am a fucking mongoloid
once and for all, there is nothing imba about resting.
If you abuse it, it's entirely up to you to be a fucking noob or not.
It's like you hate freedom or something.

>> No.5370775

>>5370750
in skyrim, you should only craft what you intend to use

anyway, pillars of eternity went very heavy-handed with that kind of balance and it's a shit game; we're big boys, we can handle it ourselves

>> No.5370782

>>5370750
>gets Skyrim
>Instead of having fun and exploring the game organically, you went out of your way to craft a billion daggers and then exploited the Smithing/Alchemy ramping
>"duuuuurrrr dis gaem stoopid it 2 ez y day let me do dis?"
Fucking Christ.

>> No.5370793

>>5370775
>we're big boys, we can handle it ourselves
no, you are just shit players who hate any kind of challenge

it's fucking annoying if a game is piss-easy
>hurr you are dying in a fight? well just go outside and rest again
what's the point of playing a game you can't even lose at? go and watch a fucking movie if all you want is just your immature "cinematic experience"

>> No.5370796

>>5370793
butthurt pillars dev detected

>> No.5370807

>>5363614
>Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.
>
>1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).
>
>2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.
>
>3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.
>
>4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.
>
>5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

>> No.5370809

>>5370807
Do we know whether the console EEs will support custom soundsets and portraits or not yet?

>> No.5370813

>>5370809
>
>1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).
>
>2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.
>
>3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.
>
>4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.
>
>5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear

>> No.5370816

oh, he mad

>> No.5370820

>>5370782
>you went out of your way to craft a billion daggers
no, but when i play rpgs blind i want to be able tiimmersive myself in the game
i want to feel like a warrior in a fantasy world fighting to survive and getting stronger
you simply can't have that feel when there are exploits all over the gameplay

>> No.5370829

i guess you could still speedrun these games, so at least they are not totally useless

but still, for a blind playthrough (which is usually the most fun in rpgs) it's really annoying if the game is full of exploits

>> No.5370845

>>5370820
>>5370829
Either you're fucking retarded or you're fucking retarded
In both cases I don't have any advice for you aside from killing yourself
Not even a question of speed run or anything, just a question of having options and the ability to use them or not
The entire meat of the game if you enjoy power gaming is finding actual exploits, not abusing rest
But who am I kidding, it exists so it's bad because you're too fucking dumb to find your own playstyle in a game that allows you to do so

>> No.5370868

>>5369557
shway

>> No.5370879

>>5370845
wow, you really must be a sad existence with your blatant aggression issues

>The entire meat of the game if you enjoy power gaming is finding actual exploits, not abusing rest
where did i ever say i enjoy "power gaming" or abusing exploits? i simply don't enjoy constantly having to move around them
it's like you are trying to shoe-horn some gameplay into a totally broken mess, it ruins the game

for example, if you are in a dungeon and you notice you are losing the fight, or the fight becomes really tough, then what are you gonna do?

you just go through the whole dungeon, no matter how big without ever resting?
or do you set yourself some arbitrary rules for each dungeon?
>hurr this dungeon is really big, i allow myself to rest 3 times now
it's just fucking retarded, and you are clearly just making excuses because you are a shit player who hates challenge in games
you only want the shitty illusion of challenge to feel better about your pathetic self

>> No.5370881

Is there a mod out there to lower Attacks Per Round on ranged weapons in BG/BGTutu, specifally bows? They're fucking ridiculous.

Imoen runs herself out of arrows in 20 minutes no matter how many I buy, and facing bandits is such a pain in the ass because they all get like five shots off every round. Sendai's two archers killed both my tanks before they could even get to them. It's fucking nuts man.

>> No.5370890

>>5370881
bows are usually only OP in the beginning in rpgs
at late game they become weaker

they are basically the opposite of mages/wizards, which are underpowered early game but become OP later

>> No.5370902

so is there any mod to make resting less OP in iwd:ee?
in table top games you also can't simply rest after every fucking fight, which makes mages totally unbalanced

>> No.5370940

>>5370476
>Blackguard nerfed
>Dorn not one of the best NPCs

Please quote your sources because I have never heard these things.

>> No.5370957

>>5370879
>you only want the shitty illusion of challenge to feel better about your pathetic self
>says the guy complaining because he can rest despite still being able to get instagibbed regardless of how many times he rests
Just fuck my shit up
Lack of self-awareness and retardation, what a fucking shock
Resting is not cheating, you're just too fucking dumb to understand how this game works, this has nothing to do with challenge, or limiting yourself. Use it when you need it, I just don't fucking understand what more there is to it.
And Gmgo stick your passive aggressive assumptions in your ass, these are what triggers aggressivity against you, because you express retarded opinions with shitty arguments like a fucking bitch.

>> No.5370987

>>5370957
>still being able to get instagibbed regardless of how many times he rests
so instant deaths are the only real threat in these games, and everything else redundant?
sounds pretty broken to me

and even if you get instantly killed, retards like you will just reload anyway, because you only play for "muh experience, muh story faggotery"

that's also why story-fags like you hate BASED PoE so much, because it actually can be challenging

>> No.5370995

>>5370940
Dorn is squishy as fuck and is only really useful if you ran out of other archers in BG1. Blackguard is a bad fighter kit, just like paladin is, but at least paladins get Carsomyr and can dual wield the Purifier and Foebane late game.
Blackguards just don't have anything going for them, especially when they come with shitty CON.

>> No.5371003

>>5370987
>so you're saying...
No, I'm not, learn to read and stop making assumptions you strawmanning fuck.
I'm also in the middle of my second attempt at a no reload scs insane run of the complete BG trilogy, not that you have any idea what these words mean apparently, nor that you would care if you did.
Fuck off and go shill your boring game with the shitty balance of a bad moba elsewhere.

>> No.5371005

>>5370995
I asked for sources on nerfs, not contrarian opinions.

>> No.5371014

>>5371003
>I'm also in the middle of my second attempt at a no reload scs insane run of the complete BG trilogy
don't forget to rest a lot!

>> No.5371095

>>5371014
Don't forget to go fuck yourself. >>5371005
Sources are his stats and his kit description, both easily available on BG wiki or anywhere else, an item list, easily accessible on sorcerers.net, and your ability to connect dots and think by yourself if you are able to do such a thing.

>> No.5371107

>>5371095
The BG Wiki doesnt list anything for nerfs to Dorn or Blackguard. If you have no source then I'm just going to assume you're full of shit.

>> No.5371119

>>5371107
>i can't into google therefore you're wrong
whatever

>> No.5371127
File: 77 KB, 700x525, iwd_babe1b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5363476
It's still kinda too bad. If any of the games really needed some time and love it's IWD2, which was kind of rushed, and was also the IE's last game.

>> No.5371150

>>5371119
You're wrong because you have no source to backup your claims. If what you claimed was correct you would have provided one by now. And considering that you think Blackguard is a Fighter kit I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you don't know what you're talking about.

>> No.5371160

>>5371127
It also runs the worst on modern hardware. Considerably worse than the other vanilla games, for whatever reason. There are workarounds, but they're inconsistent at best, so there's a solid chance you'll be enjoying a 15 FPS slideshow.

3E without prestige classes, class feature substitutions and splatbook-added extra base classes is also a worse system than the "2.5E" we had by Throne of Bhaal, also. At least the other IE games give warriors some purpose and have viable multi/dualclasses that don't consist of silly things like taking one level of paladin for your sorcerer.

>> No.5371165

>>5371150
>type BG ee blackguard nerf
>find anything you want to know on beamdog forums about the nerf of their poison weapon, which was the only thing going for them, and more
And apparently you can't into reading either, because if you can't understand what I meant by 'blackguard is a shitty fighter', there's just no helping you.

>> No.5371227

>>5371165
>type BG ee blackguard nerf
>receive no hits that have anything to do with a blackguard nerf
You can't prove a negative. The onus is on you to provide evidence for your claim. You obviously can't. Continue to shitpost if you like but you have no argument.

>> No.5371237

>>5371227
Yeah sure, go fuck yourself illiterate nigger.

>> No.5371273

>>5370940
Blackguard Poison Weapon was explicitly made weaker in a patch:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48418/poison-weapon
in 2016.
For both Assassins and Blackguards.
Dorn has nothing amazing going for him outside of this ability (for fucking with spellcasters) and outside of his early game (19 Strength and personal gear) he really isn't some sort of must-have.

>> No.5371282
File: 192 KB, 827x1169, horc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5371273
And even in the early game I'd take someone who isn't a one-trick pony (** Two-Handed Swords and ** Two-Handed Weapons) and can use ranged weapons well, because on Insane Dorn's HP total ensures his two-hander can only be used from behind someone tankier (preferrably a summon) due to the additional range on zweihanders.

Also I wasn't around for the whole exchange with other anon, too busy ogling half-orcs.

>> No.5371290

>>5371273
Poison Weapon is an ability several classes get. It isn't unique to Blackguard.

>> No.5371292

>>5371290
Yes, I named these classes already. Nerfing this ability nerfs Blackguard, however indirectly. It's hard to argue Blackguard's design wasn't, in fact, a pretty big design elephant considering that old Poison Weapon is fine on a 1 APR class with Thief THAC0 yet becomes much more potent on a 5 APR martial class.

And no, Dorn still isn't one of the best characters. I'm not being "revisionist" - his power is extremely frontloaded in the early game because you see a hulking half-orc with 19 Strength and his own sword and you're absolutely wowed, but then he falls off and is brought in line with other martials if not outstripped. Pure Fighters outstrip him in damage done and he doesn't have any multiclass ability.

>> No.5371298

>>5371292
That's a nerf to the game, not Blackguard. and you'll be fighting an uphill battle arguing that the early nerf to poison weapon somehow made Blackguard anything less than the best warrior kit.

>> No.5371301

>>5371292
Dorn is the most powerful character in BG1. Trying to reference BG2 is moving goalposts to the extreme.

>> No.5371324

>>5371301
>Dorn is the most powerful character in BG1.
What the fuck am I reading...
How in hell is a non arcane caster middling and squishy fighter better than at the very VERY least Edwin, Coran, or Kagain. How the fuck.

>> No.5371325

>>5371298
>you'll be fighting an uphill battle arguing that the early nerf to poison weapon somehow made Blackguard anything less than the best warrior kit.
Because it, by far, isn't. Berserker is much better (due to an ability allowing immunity to maze, imprisonment, and a fuckton of other status effects; they completely trivialize certain encounters starting as early as 2000 XP Sirine pińatas), Dwarven Defender is tankier (though Paladin-types can be very tanky with Armor of Faith + Defender of Easthaven in the off-hand in BG2), Archer is much more deadly for like 80% of the game (and especially much better in BG1) and still remains fantastic even in ToB (and he's hilarious with Greater Deathblow), and in the "pure DPS" department he's outstripepd by Kensai.

>>5371301
In BG1, Archers and Berserkers still reign supreme. Even a pure Fighter like Kagain is better.

The only thing you said so far is "Blackguard is the best because it's the best", and you've been demanding data and proof for every time I tell you Dorn sucks with facts and examples you say it doesn't matter or "Dorn best because Dorn best". Ball is in your court. Why is Dorn the best? I've made direct comparisons to other NPCs and noted why they're better. You're asking me for "sources". If you want an outside authority to confirm this (which isn't an intellectually honest arguent), then the guy who does no-reload runs on Twitch claims the same thing.

>> No.5371354

>>5371298
>That's a nerf to the game, not Blackguard
Also, what the fuck is with this argument? I neglected to mention it earlier, but literally two kits in the game use it - Assassin and Blackguard. Both are weaker because of it. This isn't a "nerf to the game", it's a nerf to 2 kits out of like 30+.

>> No.5371395

>>5370354
I might use dorn in a later playthrough for laughs since he's so comically edgy but there's no way I'd use him on my first evil run when bg1 is already filled with great evil characters.
>>5370576
I don't use lightning , they never end up working in my favor, fireball spam all the way.

>> No.5371417

so what am i supposed to do to find that stupid ice bitch this kesselack or whatever he is called wants me to kill?
i seriously have no idea where that bitch could be, i was already everywhere

>> No.5371463

>>5371324
are you having fun arguing with a leftist troll? because if not you should learn to ignore them

>> No.5371475

>>5371417
find her cave

>> No.5371478

>>5371475
i was already in every fucking cave i could be

>> No.5371482

>>5371478
I guess you'll just have to give up and quit
IWD is a game for people with the smarts, apparently

>> No.5371492

>>5371482
so it doesn't involve retarded backtracking or what?
just tell me if i missed a new place or do i have to go into every fucking cave i already was again?

>> No.5371502

maybe in the ice cave where the jedies were under the big statue?

>> No.5371506

>how could I possibly be expected to know that?
>this game is retarded; nobody should ever have to backtrack for any reason
>gosh, I sure love trolling threads for this game, the attention I get assuages the butthurt I have for being too stupid for an easy game

>> No.5371589

>>5371463
Are you having fun asking rhetorical questions?
Because I'm having even less fun answering them than to the other escaped tard, at least I have a good reason to insult him and his whore mother.

>> No.5371601

>>5371492
if you wanted to be told the answer you could have binged it already, you lazy stupid cunt.

>> No.5371751

>>5364279
no
beamdog had all the originals removed

>> No.5371770

>>5371506
>>5371601
fuck off, i already killed the bitch
the problem was just that she was not in her cave because i said to kesselack first i will think about killing, not doing it
i went straight into the cave, but she is only there if you actually say yes to killing her, which is really dumb

>> No.5371779

>>5371770
you're dumb

>> No.5371795

>>5371779
no, i just wanted to talk to her first before maybe killing her
that is why i said "i will think about it" instead of "yes sir i will murder for you"

>> No.5371796

>>5371795
did you think you were playing a roleplaying game?

>> No.5371805

>>5371796
>>5371796
yes? the game is good but has some flaws obviously

>> No.5371818

>>5371805
you should give a good think to what rpg means and what it should mean

>> No.5371824
File: 109 KB, 1063x305, gog.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5371751
did I dodge a bullet? never even played them

>> No.5372223

>>5371282
Did you really just reference Critical Role of all things?

>> No.5372229

>>5371751
You still get the originals when you buy EEs on GOG. And I think only on GOG.
It's scummy as fuck coming from Beamdog, but originals are still there.

>> No.5372389

>>5372223
I have no idea what's this picture from, to tell the truth.

>> No.5372406

>>5372229
Yeah, they are 'still here' in the same measure that you can still pirate them
Which you should because fuck beamdog.

>> No.5372697

Playing bg2, right now my party is:
Fighter/Cleric charname
Viconia
Jan
Edwin
Korgan
Any suggestions on who the last party member should be?

>> No.5372712

>>5372697
Haer' Dalis or Cernd I'd say, Aerie isn't a bad choice either but she needs good items and xp to be competitive in melee.

>> No.5372725

redpill me on druids.

>> No.5372730

>>5372725
Insect plague
This kills the arcane caster

>> No.5372737

>>5372697
What's wrong with Jaheira?
She's the jack-of-all-trades for BG2.
Aerie starts off very weak, but becomes a support powerhouse in the late game. She's a good choice if you don't mind a goody-two-shoes in the party.
I could never get into the Shapeshifter subclass for a druid and for me Cernd plainly sucks.

Otherwise I would go for another fighter - like Minsc or Keldorn (although they will have conflicts in the party). And then make room for Sarevok once you reach ToB.

>> No.5372765

>>5372737
Jaheira isn't bad but is a pretty shitty fighter for most of BG2 in a team of 6, and is a real pain to get from lvl 13 druid to lvl 15.
Cernd on the other hand can spam insect plagues pretty quick, which is really what druids are all about, this spell is that fucking good.
Aside from that, shapeshifter is a somewhat shitty (and dysfunctional) kit, but the redesigned shapeshifter component from the tweaks anthology makes it pretty viable in melee, and even really fun to play (ability to shapeshift and cast on the same round makes it pretty good, insect plague then hated melee kills a lot of spellcasters even in scs)

>> No.5372817

>>5372697
haer dalis is the natural selection for the 6th slot of an evil party

>> No.5372819

>>5372765
>but is a pretty shitty fighter
in my experience she's solid all around

>> No.5372875

>>5372725
Call Woodland Beings
Insect Plague
Iron Skins
Nature's Beauty
Greater Elemental Summoning
That's it. They're relative late-bloomers when it comes to spell levels (in vanilla BG1 they're somewhat dreadful due to a dead 2nd spell level, lacking Bless and Chant, and while pure Druids get to access the 5th spell level, the *only* spell they get in there is Cure Critical Wounds), but these spells are their calling card and they're always worth consideration for a spot in the party just based on these. If they had literally nothing else, they'd still be okay.

>> No.5373010

>>5372819
She's not that bad as a fighter, but she will have a tough time surviving in melee for a while if you play with scs and/or in hard/insane. She also won't have an amazing dps, but if you play on unmodded core rules she'll hold her own. However she becomes quite good in melee late game with her earth elemental transformation and her late fighter levels, but it obviously takes some time to get her there.

>> No.5373108

>>5373010
Yes, Jaheira really starts to shine once you can get Greater Whirlwind to combo with Staff of the Ram. Takes a while to really get going, though; her best spells for a bit will be Elementals, Call Woodland Beings and Ironskins, and she will mostly be a support / damage-soak rather than a full-fledged killer, though the ability to equip her with Belm and fighter-only potions helps. Considering that this is how most people play their Priests, this might not be such a problem...
But once she hits that sweet spot, she's a strong candidate for the best melee character of them all in the core game, and might honestly surpass Korgan.

>> No.5373587
File: 119 KB, 1366x623, 20190215233814_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wtf am i supposed to do here? this shit is impossible on insane

i can't go into the room with any summons (which is fucking retarded), and they spawn right in front of me

i don't have time to do anything to keep them away from me, so they just easily steamroll my 2 tanks and i am dead

>> No.5373682

>>5373587
do you have a cleric with turn undead?

>> No.5373689

>>5373682
no, i just have a druid and a bunch of archers/tanks

>> No.5373705

>>5373689
you could try putting all your best defensive items on your best tank, prebuff the shit out of him before entering that area (including potions from kuldahar), have them immediately run forward to draw all the aggro, have your druid keep healing them constantly with cure spells, while everyone else focus fires one ghoul after another

>> No.5373717

>>5373705
i have a totemic druid and rather went for animal summonings
i only have 2 buff spells and they are shit
the potions so far are also shit

it's a total difficulty and just stupid

>> No.5373727

i just don't understand why they don't let you take summons to another map
this just breaks my whole party whenever a horde is right in front of me

>> No.5373741

>>5373717
well you chose to play on insane with a meme party

>> No.5373758

>>5373741
>meme party
it is just simply an elven party, so of course there are a bunch of archers and shit

>> No.5373761

>>5373758
elves have a ton of clerics, mages, and fighters/swordsmen as well

>> No.5373765

>>5373587
uninstall faggot enhanced edition and start over with the real game.

>> No.5373772

>>5373761
i have fighters, 2 of them, but there are just too many enemies

>> No.5373793

>>5373772
you made a larp party and chose to play on the deliberately unfair difficulty setting. have fun bashing your head against the wall with no clerics and no mages.

>> No.5373798

>>5373793
>deliberately unfair difficulty setting
the game was pretty easy up until this point
the difficulty was good, but this part is just retarded

>> No.5373889

>half elf cleric/ranger
>gnome fighter, axes
>human fighter 3/mage with bows

I think this is the ideal party for me. I've got everything except traps, which I just tank, with my tank, who has really good saves from magic items.

>> No.5373894

>>5363392
Every RPG ever is only challenging if you never scum.

>> No.5373904

>>5373798
yet you can't figure out what to do here, superpro? i'm not going to tell you.

>> No.5374149

>>5373889
NOBODY TOLD ME that if you dual out of fighter that you can keep putting pips into weapons all the way to five

my fighter 3/mage 6 just got longbow ****

>> No.5374246

Gonna make a new char, should I go Blade, illusionist/Fighter or Fighter/Thief?

>> No.5374581

>>5373894
>who cares about builds and theory crafting, only micro makes a game challenging

>> No.5374630

>>5367887
Nobody probably cares, but that anon. Ranger reached level 10 and got his level 2 ranger spells.

>> No.5374809

well, icewind dale fucking sucks

my party is fucked because of that retarded design decision that you can't take summonings to another area
this just totally underpowers summonings

>> No.5374813

>>5374809
>this game sucks because I'm stupid
Why are these threads filled to the brim with literal retards these days?

>> No.5374824

>>5374813
not my fault the devs are retarded and make summons totally underpowered

my party was totally fine, as long as i have enough time to do my summons before the enemy arrives

but when the enemy is there right in front of you when you enter area, then it's just completely useless

it's retarded design

>> No.5374834

i guess i will have to start a new game

i think i should take out my beastmaster because it becomes kinda redundant with my totemic druid anyway (another stupid design choice that you can't have more than 5 summons)
and instead of this i take in my sorcerer which should have some crowd control spells i hope

>> No.5374849

>>5374834
To be frank all the classes you're claiming to be weak in this particular encounter can probably use their secondary kit characteristics to simply destroy the encounter on their own.

>> No.5374868

>>5374849
to be frank i think you are fucking retarded, because i never claimed any class to be weak
i just said that when the enemy spawns right in front of you when you enter a new area, then you are fucked if you build your party around summons

otherwise summons are great, but in this case, it's totally underpowered, because you don't have any time to prepare
i would need some kind of spell which gives me some time to do my summons, something like color spray for example

>> No.5374878

>>5374868
>to be frank i think you are fucking retarded, because i never claimed any class to be weak
In the very next sentence:
>i just said that when the enemy spawns right in front of you when you enter a new area, then you are fucked if you build your party around summons
These two statements sound contradictory.
Calm down, Anon, please. What I'm saying is that you should be able to use your classes' other abilities outside of summonings. Any summoning class I can think of is a competent combatant outside of their niche.

If the enemy spawns right in front of you when you enter a new area, you can try popping pre-bought invisibility potions at the very start of the area, walk in with invisibility already pre-cast, or try to use any instant cast abilities (wands, for example) that you have to clear the perimeter and buy you breathing time.

>> No.5374889

>>5374878
>invisibility potions
Kuldahar only has a limited amount of them and I already used most of them for emergency situations (for example once my thief was knocked out and surrounded by enemies and barely survived thanks to the potion)

The whole encounter is just crazy. It's a whole army on insane. And apart from my summons I don't really have anything to deal with such huge crowd.

>> No.5374894

>>5374889
What are your actual levels and party composition?

>> No.5374896

>>5364004
To your credit, I'd have just quit the thread and waited for the whole thing to have fallen off the catalog.

>> No.5374910

>>5374894
Totemic druid (mostly for summons, a bit healing, single target spells)
A fighter with 2 handed sword and shortbow
A ranger with dual wielding swords and bow
An anrcher with longbow
A beastmaster with bow and faery dragon
And a thief with shortbow

They are all around level 9-10

I really think the beastmaster is the most useless, because when I started I didn't know you can't have more than 5 summons, so it clashes with the druid summons

>> No.5374935

>>5374910
Well, if you hadn't been playing the Enhanced Edition, you'd be able to use the Character Arbitration button to simply swap characters in and out of your party at leisure. This is supposed to be one of the core functions in IWD1, but it's a shoddy port from BG2 and it lacks this feature.

To simulate this behavior (although I'm confident this party should be able to do this encounter somehow) you can use EEKeeper to kick out a party member and create a new one, perhaps.

>I really think the beastmaster is the most useless, because when I started I didn't know you can't have more than 5 summons, so it clashes with the druid summons
On the other hand, the Beastmaster can simply replenish dead summons.

Considering that the casting time of the animal summoning spells is half a round, what you could attempt to do is use your frontliners to soak up as much of the army as possible (using as many defensive elixirs as you possibly can find) while both summoners get summons out, and then focus on the Druid getting his AoE out of the gate while frantically drinking healing potions. Then, once the summons are out, you could retreat whoever is alive in the frontline, try to get the summons to stick, keep recasting the spells as summons die, and pelt the army at range.

Do you have any decent AoE abilities from wands or oils of fiery burning?

Not having an Arcane caster hurts, I suppose.

>> No.5374948

>>5374824
>hurr I can't understand the rules so it's bad design
Who let the retards out for fuck's sake?

>> No.5374949

>>5374935
>you'd be able to use the Character Arbitration button to simply swap characters in and out of your party at leisure
Yea, I've heard about this. Sounds like a really nice mechanic. But I guess the characters would be too underpowered as level 1 characters anyway at this point. Plus I tried to do a permadeath run, and I already died so much on this encounter, that would have to restart anyway.

>On the other hand, the Beastmaster can simply replenish dead summons
Sure, but that is something the druid could do too, only better. The beastmaster is really weak. It only has one shitty level 1 animal summoning spell yet, while the druid has a ton already way better. Plus the find familiar spell is also totally useless, since you could just easily use a scroll for this permanently. It's really not a good class for when you already have a druid.

>what you could attempt to do is use your frontliners to soak up as much of the army as possible
It's what I already did, but it's just too much. There are just too many enemies. And even the summons are not THAT helpfull there.

>any decent AoE abilities
No, that's the problem. I would really need that color spray spell, because that spell is so good against crowds. But I can't use this as druid.

>Not having an Arcane caster hurts, I suppose.
Exactly. That's my main problem I think. The beastmaster was redundant and I should have taken my sorcerer instead.

>> No.5375085
File: 585 KB, 1920x1080, 2018_01_28.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5363392
When I finished the game, half of my party was dead because they were killed so hard, their bodies disintegrated and I wouldn't reload. Pic related, my fight with the final boss, my priest and rogue about to be disintegrated, with my barbarian killed in the dwarven citadel.

>> No.5375327
File: 44 KB, 600x420, NEW_TO_DD_Races_HalfOrc_T_140722.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5371282
>ogling half-orcs
That's not a half-orc. That is a green elf.

>> No.5375350

>>5375327
No, that's a Critical Role tumblr-approved half-orc.
You don't wish to know how a Critical Role firbolg looks like.

>> No.5375387
File: 274 KB, 1920x1080, 2017_12_21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5373587
Start over with a less gay party. Just kidding, I appreciate a fellow monorace player.

>> No.5375398

>>5375387
>gay party
>has only men (or rather little manlets) in his party

>> No.5375404

>>5371282
I want to choke the life out off whoever made this

>> No.5375405

Also, is it normal that you can kill trolls only with this sun spell? I also could sometimes give them the final blow when they lay on the ground with my bug summons, but that was a rare case, since they don't do their aoe attack often.

It's pretty stupid, that you need so many of these sun spells for this enemy.

>> No.5375413

>>5373587

Don't you have a cleric?

>> No.5375419

>>5375413
is cleric really that great against undead?

>> No.5375424

>>5375419

Dude, just turn undead. If I remember correctly one cleric should be able to force at least half of that group to flee.

>> No.5375429

>>5375424
i may consider using a cleric when i start over

>> No.5375453

>>5375405
You just need anything that can do even 1 point of fire or acid damage to kill them once they're on the ground. The fire oils you find in areas with trolls are one way, elemental arrows another, and there are several weapons that deal fire or acid damage on hit. Spells are pretty desperate, you should have enough of the other options that you don't need to waste them.

>> No.5375471

>>5375453
i see, of course, they are trolls, so they need fire dmg to not regenerate
i was confused i think because they don't really look like trolls to me, rather like hunters from resident evil or something

>> No.5375837
File: 597 KB, 1920x1080, 2018_01_27.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5375398
>rather little manlets
You take that back!

>> No.5375853

>>5375837
I wonder why BioWare didn't use Black Isle's fire giants, iron golems and so on for BG2/ToB. They did use some assets, like the orcs and goblins, but stuck with their hideous Play Dough golem sprites.

>> No.5375931

bros i dont have a gaming pc rn shud i cop icewing dales for my ipad? or is that wack?

>> No.5376026

>>5375931
You can run IWD:EE on a ten year old laptop running windows Vista with decent performance, take it from one who knows

>> No.5376106
File: 491 KB, 801x600, id.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>/vr/
>retro games
>faggot edition screenshots everywhere
faggots

>> No.5376114

>>5376106
nice nerd party, faggot

>> No.5376190

>>5376114
Hello, Beamdog customer.

>> No.5376212

>>5363614
>That's not really the story we want to make

YOU didn't make the story, you fucking niggers. You stole the game and pretended to fix it.

>> No.5376246
File: 3.77 MB, 3104x2484, ar0400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5376106
I have the full-size Map RAW's.

I had to reduce the size of this by about 20%.

>> No.5376271

what exactly does higher charisma do on druids in icewind dale? i read it's important for them, but not exactly why.
only thing i know is it makes prices cheaper

>> No.5376278

>>5376271
Well I know that Handle Animal and Diplomacy are both charisma based.

>> No.5376317

>>5376271
Absolutely nothing beneficial. This is a vestige from AD&D that wasn't really realised on the video game ground. All it really does is force someone interested in dual-classing to Druid into having 17 Wisdom AND Charisma.

>> No.5376335

>>5376271
>>5376317
>druids
>smelly tree-hugging hippies who look down their noses at literally everyone from the incomprehensibly retarded alignment of true neutral, which makes about as much sense as 'only (an absolute) Sith believe in absolutes' (a Jedi idiom)
>peak-human charisma
It's some comical bullshit is what it is. Druids are probably the most universally dislikable class.

>> No.5376698

bless this game for having actual proper sized dungeons

bg2 had hard, puzzle dungeons, but they were generally pretty short, like less than an hour your first time through short

>> No.5376942

Redpill me on the bard kits.

>> No.5376989

>>5376942
Most important thing to pay attention to: all the Bard kits will have their song replaced by the Improved Bard Song HLA once you pick that. That means Bards in the end-game tend to be homogenized.
Remember that you can use Simulacrum tactics to keep your Bard in the fight while also providing song support.
>Blade
The most popular and go-to kit because it gives the most frontloaded offensive capability. Rogue-types are already semi-decent at damage dealing once they're given speed weapons (Belm, Kundane, Scarlet Ninja-To) and under Improved Haste. Further buffs improve your defense and offense some more. Once they pick the song HLA, one of their weaknesses disappears entirely. Low pickpocket hardly matters - people go on pickpocketing sprees mostly when they're imbued with potions anyway.
>Jester
An actually potent crowd control machine. The AoE confusion can be a real boon, and before EE / fixpacks you could sing while invisible, which was ridiculous if done right. After you pick the Bard Song HLA your Jester becomes a standard Bard. More of a support / disrupter. Jester song doesn't scale badly and shines in fights against potentially high-damaging trash.
>Skald
The only Bard that actually acts as a force multiplier for everyone else. This one is solid in heavily martial parties from the beginning of the game; song bonuses actually stack up fairly well when everyone is an archer or melee.

Remember that regardless of kit, the same tricks to go into melee work very well, so never be afraid to buff up and dual-wield in the frontline. Blade is just the best at it due to spins, but any Bard can be a valid contribution especially at HLA levels, with decent buffs (including but not limited to PfMW), UAI, the traps, and/or the superbard song.

>> No.5376994

>>5376989
Also, for IWDEE specifically (which is the only place where you'd actually have bard kits in IWD), I have absolutely no idea how do the special, IWD-only bard songs work with kits. In IWD1, pure Bard is actually a really good party member.

>> No.5377018

is intelligence really only important for mages or does it also play a role for other classes like priests/druids?
you would think intelligence is always important for spell casters

i hate that they don't really tell you in these games what the stats actually do

>> No.5377041

>>5377018
>is intelligence really only important for mages or does it also play a role for other classes like priests/druids?
Intelligence doesn't do anything outside of affecting specifically Mage (not Sorcerer, though) spellcasting and minor skills like Knowledge. In BG2, the amount of dialogue nodes that actually ask you to run an intelligence check can be counted on one hand and are very optional.

>> No.5377051

>>5376989
>all the Bard kits will have their song replaced by the Improved Bard Song HLA once you pick that
Man that sucks, it makes sense for blades and bards since its a straight upgrade but its pretty lame that the jester just becomes another bard after a certain point.

>> No.5377053

>>5377051
You can delay picking up that ability if you want to, just get more Traps or whatever.

>> No.5377054

>>5377041
>not Sorcerer, though
then what should a sorcerer invest points in when not intelliegence?

wisdom is only good for priests afaik

are sorcerers supposed to be fighters in these games or something?

>> No.5377061

>>5377054
Sorcerers have no primary casting stat. You can get Dex and Con for better defense, Strength for better encumbrance, Wisdom for better results from (Limited) Wish spells (in BG2) and Charisma to free up dialoue choices. Intelligence doesn't do jack shit for you, you can leave it decently high for green scrolls or defense against mindflayers.

No, Sorcerers are still primarily spellcasters, they're just poorly backported from the 3rd Edition of D&D into the AD&D edition BG2 uses.

>> No.5377168

>>5377061
>Strength for better encumbrance
is strength really only for encumbrance? i would think it also makes attack harder with melee weapons

>> No.5377376

>>5377168
Yes - but the only instance I can think of where you'd want to punch someone in the face in melee with a Sorcerer is either shapeshifted (at which point you're assuming the shapeshifted form's Strength, although shapeshift playstyles can actually be quite potent if set up properly), touch spells (hardly known, but touch spells have an undocumented -4 THAC0 bonus to hitting things in melee; I think it was bugged in vanilla IE games because fists belonged to a proficiency that no one could use, so it cancelled itself out) and something like Tenser's Transformation, but in these cases the majority of your damage won't really come from innate Strength and most people don't want to bother with setting up a Chill Touch build. (It's a jokey kinda setup - technically, CT is your best level 1 damage spell because it doesn't disappear after whiffing or connecting and it lasts a full turn, so you can do 1d2 + Strength bonus + 1d8 cold damage while stacking a THAC0 malus against whoever you're hitting, but it's really hard not to die when attempting this and lowbie mages are better off stacking Sleep or even Color Spray. You can also bug Chill Touch with something like Minor Sequencer to replace your shapeshifted form's attack; it has a synergy with the Polymorph Self into the 5 APR Spider form.)

>> No.5377423

>>5363614
>
>
>
>
>
>5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

>> No.5377441

when playing a sorcerer, can you even chose the spells you learn when leveling up? i don't really understand how they work differently than mages, and i really would like to chose only certain spells

>> No.5377452

also, it says that sorcerers can't learn spells from scrolls... but they can still use scrolls, right?
i ask because i really would like to use a find familiar scroll sometimes

also fuck these fucking image captchas on this site
they drive me insane

>> No.5377464

>>5377018
a high enough int can make certain dialogue choices available

other than that, the only thing it does is affect how easily a mage can learn a spell from a scroll and how many spells they can have in their spellbook

also, you need at least 9 int to use scrolls of any kind

int, is basically a 3, a 9, or an 18

>> No.5377471

>>5377464
>you need at least 9 int to use scrolls of any kind
what does a find familiar scroll take?
does this also take a certain amount of wisdom?

>> No.5377479

>>5377471
9, they all require 9, assuming you can use the scroll at all, though anybody can use the green protection scrolls

i dont know about wisdom affecting it

>> No.5377480

but why does it say in icewind dale that the most important stat for sorcerers is intelligence, when it doesn't do jackshit for them?

it makes no sense that they wouldn't need intelligence

>> No.5377501

>>5377480
as far as I know, sorcerers dont actually need any stat, as long as they have 9 int to use scrolls in combat

>> No.5377520

>>5377501
then what is the downside of them? can they not learn as many spells as mages or something?

the downside is that they can't learn spells from scrolls, right?

>> No.5377573

>>5377520
theyre always stuck with the same spells known, whereas a mage can add any spell to his book to prepare for a day

>> No.5377576

>>5377441
Yes.
>>5377452
Yes.
>>5377464
>a high enough int can make certain dialogue choices available
Not in IWD1, right? And in BG2, it also usually doesn't happen.

>> No.5377585

>>5377573
>a mage can add any spell to his book
you mean they can add them from scrolls, or what?
i mean sorcerers can still learn new spells right? and they can chose from some spells when leveling up?

>> No.5377612

>>5377576
>Not in IWD1, right? And in BG2, it also usually doesn't happen.

It does happen both in IWD1 and in BG2 (I definately recall high INT CHARNAME having much easier time bullshitting the drow about his identity), it's just really situational though and overall not that worth picking up just for a bunch of additional dialogues.

>> No.5377630

>>5377612
Yeah, the Phaere conversation is one of the very specific situations where Int is relevant and you are also allowed to bullshit your way out of it with high Charisma, which a number of popular PCs already have high (Paladins) or you simply end up with a Ring of Human Influence on for the occasion anyway.

>> No.5377631

>>5377585
sorcerers learn new spells on level up only, while mages learn them from scrolls only

>>5377576
theres at least one in IWD, that I know of

>> No.5377648

>>5377630
The other instance is using high INT dialogue options (knowing who the illithid are and that kind of stuff) apparently grants you additional "approval" from Solaufein. This in turn makes it easier for him to trust you and reveal that he's the master bullshitter Eilistraeean spy - which leads to him giving you another set of fake eggs to fuck with both Ardulace and Phaere. If he doesn't trust you enough, he just fucks off without helping you.

>> No.5377691

>>5377648
>and reveal that he's the master bullshitter Eilistraeean spy
hes not a spy, hes just hiding his true feelings since its illegal and punishable by death

>> No.5377712

>>5377691
I could;ve sworn he was a spy.
Nevermind - he definately secretly worships Eilistraee, which makes me wonder why he didn't try to fuck off to the surface earlier. He definately had a bunch of occasions as relatively well-off House Swordsman.

>> No.5377716

it sucks that you can't really multiclass a battle mage with armor like with fighter/druids

>> No.5377754

>>5377712
whats he going to do there? his items will be dust and people will kill him on sight

he might not even speak the languages

I do wonder how he even knows about eilistrae; he may not know where to find the clergy

>> No.5377757

>>5377716
well, you have archmagi robes, bracers of armor, elven armor, armor spells, etc

>> No.5377779

>>5377754.
He worships Eilistraee. And she's a VERY active and nurtuting deity. Her worshippers would probably find him the minute he shows up on the surface - they have this habit of showing up fucking everywhere they are needed. And if not, he only needs to contact the Harpers/priests of Mystra/Liiria/Seldarine, who are in cohoots with Eilistraee and her priesthood.
If I were him, I would go straight to Suldanessallar, reciting the Eilistraee dogma.

And lore-wise, most drow "intuitively" know about Eilistraee, they just shut themselves off to her. She actively calls out to them. This entire "drow worship Lolth" thing is a bit of an unnatural abomination. Lolth kinda tricked the desperate drow into worshipping her during the Crown Wars and it stuck.
Before the Crown Wars, the drow were formerly much closer to Eilistraee/Vhaeraun, with Lolth being a bit of a boogeyman.

>> No.5378303

Are archers underpowered? I just don't see any reason to chose an archer when I could just take a ranger instead who also can wear heavy armor.

>> No.5378336

>>5378303
enhanced edition is for faggots

>> No.5378431

>>5378303
>>5378336
you both got the dumb

>> No.5378787

I’m thinking about doing a run with a party full of the less loved classes like wizard slayer, shapeshifter, bounty hunter.
What else?

>> No.5378793

>>5378787
Kit-less Paladin.
Maybe Beastmaster?

>> No.5378797

>>5378787
swashbuckler, stalker, cavalier, undead hunter, barbarian, avenger, sorcerer, skald
some of those are probably better than what you intend, but those'd be my "cool-but-less-than-optimal" choices

>> No.5378841

Just killed the shade lord's dragon, is the Crom Faeyr worth making? Giving up all those strength boosting items seems like a steep price to pay for one weapon.

>> No.5378904

>>5378841
It's a +5 weapon in a game that doesn't have many +5 weapons. It boosts the wearer's strength to 25 and deals some sweet blugeoning/electrical damage on top of that. It's a perfect thing for priests or fighters with warhammer proficiency. Plus it's efficient against bullshit trolls and golems.

>> No.5378910

>>5378841
would you rather have multiple decently strong fighters or one unstoppable one?

>> No.5379091

>>5378303
>Are archers underpowered?
No, they're by far one of the best damage dealing kits in the game, and Archer is the go-to Ranger kit by far.
>I don't see any reason
Level-scaling damage and THAC0, and Called Shot is a sweet, sweet ability. These tradeoffs are well worth not having armor, considering you're fighting at range anyway.
>>5378797
>sorcerer
>cavalier
>less-than-optimal
what
>>5378841
A lot of the time it isn't. Clerics who seem like natural users of the weapon have a ton of Strength boosts to hit 25, and as a Fighter mainhand weapon (for stacking the electricity damage) it has a lot of competition. It depends on your party and needs.

>> No.5379095

>>5378904
>It's a +5 weapon in a game that doesn't have many +5 weapons
Bear in mind very few enemies in the saga actually require +5, or even +4, weaponry to hit them, and by the time you start really taking on those encounters you're likely to have multiple +5 weapons or similar effects (Melf's Minute Meteors, Gesen Bow, Carsomyr, even the Firetooth crossbow can harm Kangaxx), and if you already have 25 Strength some weapons might offer more, e.g. Celestial Fury or Flail of Ages.

>> No.5379103

>>5379095
It's still an additional +5 to attack and damage with free additional modifier to attack from 25 STR. And one-handed 2d6 damage doesn't sound too bad. Give to Korgan for some hilarity.

Granted, I never used Crom Fyer that much myself - it usually went to Vicky, who preffered upgraded Mace of Disruption. And bosses like Kangaxx can be easily dealt with with a combination of Protection against Undead and Mace of Disruption - or in worst case scenario - transformation into a Slayer (immunity to Imprisonment and +4 "hand" attack".)

>> No.5379189

>>5379091
>considering you're fighting at range anyway.
Not always tho. Sometimes you have to keep the enemy away from you, and there having 3 tanks is really nice.

But yea, the dmg archers do is really good.

>> No.5379191

>>5379189
Use summons, Teleport Field, or crowd control effects to distance enemies from the Archer. Anyway, considering your 3 tanks can also be multi- or dual-classes and that Fighter-types aren't even the best tanks in BG2, I don't see what you mean.

>> No.5379198

>>5379191
>Use summons
That's exactly what I tried in my last run, but since you can't take summons to a new area, it didn't work.

>Teleport Field, or crowd control effects
Yea, I also took a sorcerer now, which should be enough. Mages/sorcerers really seem OP in these games.

>> No.5379397
File: 122 KB, 232x232, sweating.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm in the mood for some IWD
Should I get Icewind Dale EE or IWD2?

Played through the regular IWD1 ages ago. Don't really remember a thing apart from the fact that I got rekt big time in the expansion area.

I heard a lot of good things about IWD2.

>> No.5379429

>>5379397
Get vanilla IWD1 if possible (pirate a GoG installer) because IWDEE with the introduction of BG2 mechanics is an adulterated experience that is much easier to play without self-imposed rules.

IWD2 is a great game, but you might have a hard time running it nowadays. Still, it's really fun for tinkering with builds and the dungeon crawling core is good. The game is good even though its plot was reportedly written by J.E. Sawyer in 48 hours on the back of a pizza box (yes was).

>> No.5379430

>>5379397
>EE
>ever
Beamdog is guilty of a number of crimes...

>> No.5379457

>>5379430
>>5379397

>>5363614

>> No.5379647

>summon a bear
>use stealth archer to do a surprise attack
>run back to let the enemy run into bear
>bear blocks my way and archer dies
this is such annoying bullshit
it totally looked like there was enough room for the archer to walk past the bear

>> No.5380360

>>5379397
get both, play both

>> No.5380438

does a sorcerer in icewind dale still get more level 2 spells than just 3?
i took invisibility because i thought i could make my whole party invisible with this but i only have 3 of it

>> No.5380445

>>5380438
you'll get more as you level up, I believe

>> No.5380496

>>5379429
>IWDEE with the introduction of BG2 mechanics

Doesn't BG2 run on D&D3 already?
IWD was still AD&D. Did they just change the ruleset?

>> No.5380516

>>5380496
They both run on 2nd edition ADnD.

>> No.5380561

>>5380496
BG2 runs on AD&D 2e, it's just that it was being made right around the time of 3e becoming a thing, and they decided to shoehorn Barbarian, Monk and Sorcerer (3e core classes) into BG2. These classes are glorified homebrews; backports from 3e to AD&D2e.

>> No.5380704

Is there a mod to bring IWD spells to BG? Im playing a druid in IWD for the first time and they have some really kickass spells.

>> No.5380736

>>5380704
IWDification.

>> No.5381360

Just started playing planescape for the first time, any tips?
Also how long until I can become a mage? Being stuck as a fighter when my stats are built for magic sucks.

>> No.5381371

>>5381360
You might want to go see Mebbeth in the Ragpicker's Square.
Also, you might have noticed that by now, but your character will never be the most efficient fighter out there. It doesn't help that the two most important stats in the game are charisma and wisdom. And those serve no mechanical benefit. And by playing a average-intelligence fighter you'll miss 50% of the content.
PST is weird like that. It has some really counterintuitive designs.

>> No.5381380

>>5381371
>charisma and wisdom are the most important stats
Ouch. I didn't put anything into either of those stats, I only put points into dex, into and con, how fucked am I?

>> No.5381383 [DELETED] 

>charisma and wisdom are the most important stats
Ouch, I didn't put anything into either of them. The only stats I put points into were dex, int and con, how fucked am I?

>> No.5381385

>>5381380
You'll still be able to finish the game. You'll just possibly miss out on a lot of details of the story.
Wisdom unlocks new memories (so you can figure out what the fuck is going on in the story) and gives XP bonuses, while charisma lets you milk people for additional information - and gathering info is VERY important in this game.

Try bumping wisdom or charisma while leveling up - it'll come in handy eventually, trust me.

>> No.5381386 [DELETED] 

>>5381380
Not fucked to finish the game, but you'll miss half the content because high WIS high CHA high INT is the only way to get most dialogue options and flashbacks in a game where they sure are more interesting than the gameplay.

>> No.5382050

>>5381380
>>5381385
He could always swap the DEX or CON points for WIS using a save editor. If you're only planning on one playthrough, it's probably worth it. If you do, make sure to keep talking to Dak'kon about the Unbroken Circle, it's very rewarding for mages with high enough mental stats.

The Nameless One doesn't need anything but a big brain if you're playing mostly as a mage, because he shouldn't be targeted or take much damage in the first place. Morte is probably the best no-effort tank in any of the IE games, because he has huge (75%?) resistance to all physical damage. You can help out his shitty AC with some mage buffs like Greater Embalming.

>> No.5383015

braindead retard here, been playing BGEE with my friend online and enjoying it(yes I know EE sucks, just using it for easy online). im playing as a berserker and intend to duel class into a mage in the 2nd game. How exactly does that work? I mean like, do I still get to use armor and weapons? or do I just keep my hp and berserk ability? What makes the duel classing into a mage so powerful? Is it buffs or something?

sorry, just wanted to try duel classing dispite it being my first playthrough, and I dont know all the dnd mechanics.

>> No.5383031

>>5383015
Read the fucking manual.

>> No.5383535

Are F/M/T worth using outside of solo runs? Seems like they'd level too slowly in a full party.

>> No.5383610

>>5383535
Fighter Druid is pretty cool for full party

>> No.5383619

>>5383015
Need 17 (permanent) int and 12 wis, lose fighter and berserker benefits during the dual classing process, get them back afterwards, do it at level 9, you'll need to reach mage level 10 minimum to achieve dual class
At 500k xp your character will be a berserker 9 mage 10 progressing only in mage levels with the full benefits of both classes, now try buffs and improved haste, read the fucking manual and the baldur's gate wiki article on dual classing, buy potions of genius and write scrolls for easy and quick mage xp.

>> No.5383621

>>5383619
>and 12 wis
What? No. You need, innately, 15 Strength and 17 Intelligence to dual F->M. Wis has nothing to do with it.

>> No.5383636

>>5383621
Whatever, 5 seconds of checking the fucking wiki will give him the exact correct requirements, which he should have in the first place, would avoid this pointless exchange, rest is correct, piss off

>> No.5383781

>>5383636
Please relax, I didn't mean to shit in your Cheerios, clarifying this small issue won't undermine your authority (you're Anonymous anyway, who cares) and doesn't cost me much energy. Calm down, these threads are much nicer when people cooperate.

>> No.5383793

>>5383535
I played through bg1/2 with one in a full party, twice

for IWD, there's never really a need to triple up like that, and since it's so slog heavy, you're probably better off having each person dedicate to what they're doing

what kind of party were you thinking?

>> No.5384340

I didn't really have any party in mind, I was just curious since the only time I see them brought up is when talking about solo runs.

>> No.5384387

>>5384340
well, I have one game I never finished where I'm using one

it's three elf chicks, on the 4th level of dragon's eye
a half elf bard, a half elf cleric/ranger, and an elf f/m/t, and she's doing alright

>> No.5384598

>>5384340
they're quite good in small parties and in IWD1's HoF mode (and thus, conversely, in BGEE's LoB) because multiclasses in IWD1 aren't affected by the XP cap across every single class and HoF gives you a ton of XP.

>> No.5385338

>started my first solo run
>forgot I still had SCS installed
How fucked am I?

>> No.5385348

>>5385338
Depends on the char you're running. And how well you understand the game and AD&D mechanics. Still, I guess that Silke and/or Dark Side kobolds in Nashkel mines might fuck you over regardless.

>> No.5385479

>>5385348
I'm playing as an elf F/M/T, doesn't seem too hard so far but I haven't gotten to Nashkel so far we'll see how that goes.
Any thoughts on what I should put my proficiency points into? I put 2 points into longswords and longbows on character creation and I'm not sure if I should go for two weapon style for the extra damage or a weapon that does crushing damage so I can deal with all the golems in bg2.

>> No.5385636

>>5385338
Finishing a solo run with the classic ai is sometimes a bit like beating the shit out of a cripple, you'll probably have more fun with SCS installed. And you're never, ever fucked as long as you can reload anyway.

>> No.5385642

>>5385479
Only golems completely immune to slashing damage are clay golems, just put a point in some crushing weapon for them somewhere down the line, they get killed in two hits max with the flail of ages, same with juggernaut golems
The rest just get massacred by pretty much anything +3 and can't damage you through stoneskin anyway, who cares.

>> No.5385645

>>5385479
So yeah, just go for two weapons style, that's not even a question, not like you'll really need a lot of points to kill golems. You could probably even get away with the non proficient penalty honestly, they all have terrible AC.

>> No.5386283

>>5385479
you'll want shortbow for bg2, those should be your next points
there is a particular weapon you'll use against golems; you won't need any special proficiencies for it though (maybe a blip in quarterstaff)

the best weapon in endgame bg2 is a warhammer

sword and shield is a good one

I wouldn't do two weapons, personally, your thaco isn't the greatest

>> No.5386323

why are there no cloak sprites for characters in icewind dale??? this fucking sucks

cloaks are stylish as fuck, but when i got one you can't even see it on my ranger!!!

>> No.5386329

>>5386283
it's actually a pair of bastard swords (purifier/foebane), a flail (of the ages) or a quarterstaff (magi and staff of the ram), crom faeyr isn't that great honestly.
dual wiedling is amazing, no thac0 penalty as soon as you put two points in two weapon style, -4 AC against missile weapons is completely, absolutely worthless once you've completed bg1 and AC itself isn't worth much after a point in BG2 since every enemy will have an insane thac0 and still hit reliably at -20AC.
Shortbows are pretty good, but not that much on a F/M/T who has all the best melee options available.

>> No.5386339

>>5386329
no main hand thac0 penalty* as soon as you put two points in two weapon style

>> No.5386347

>>5386329
it's the rod of smiting, actually
it doesn't matter what weapon you use against adamantite golems, because they have such insane damage resistance, but that rod can kill them in one hit if they fail their save

>since every enemy will have an insane thac0 and still hit reliably at -20AC.
yeak ok

>> No.5386398

>>5386347
give me a big beefy golem to kill any day over a high level arcane spellcaster really
one stoneskin and there's nothing he can do

>> No.5386432
File: 1.76 MB, 856x1596, Aerowyn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5386398
well, they hit hard and often, and there's been times where I've had to fight a few at once (apparently enemies scale with you to some degree)

>>5385479
here's mine at max level in bg2, with the best equipment (for him) from the whole party

>> No.5386478
File: 348 KB, 877x638, 142343.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do you think of mods like the Big World mod for Baldur's Gate

>> No.5386489

>>5363614
how is NWNee?

>> No.5386535

>>5366870
Your stats are trash

>> No.5386575
File: 399 KB, 480x238, (you).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5386535
truly, ive never been so buttblasted in my entire life

>> No.5386628

>>5386478
BWS is bugged out, half the files are outdated and don't install anymore. I'm mad as hell

>> No.5386784

>>5386535
My baseline for "are these stats trash" is basically "would you be okay with hiring a companion that has this statline" and most of the time the answer is yes.

>> No.5386865

>>5386784
Still trash

>> No.5387161

>>5386865
this nigga jelly

>> No.5387451

bg2 custom party

>human fighter 9 (flails)/cleric of lathander (or just cleric, not sure if can kit)
>dwarf fighter (axes/warhammers)
>elf archer (shortbows)
>halfling fighter/thief (shortswords/daggers)
>gnome fighter/illusionist (staffs/crossbows)

>> No.5387474

>>5387451
You can't dual into a kit.

>> No.5387652

>>5387451
why would you give an archer only shortbows when longbows are much better?

>> No.5387663

>>5387652
Not him but longbows suck in BG2, there's not one good longbow in the entire game, meanwhile shortbows have tansheron, tuigan and the gesen bow.

>> No.5387823

>>5387161
Why are you typing like a negro as if that somehow validates your point? You were bragging in your first post over stats that were nothing to write home about. I understand it's probably your first playthrough, but trust me; for certain classes, they're useless and for others they are average at best.

>> No.5387849

I know noone probably cares, but I beat this IWD:EE with only a Stalker and and Archer on the hardest difficulty. It took me so long, but it was fun as fuck. Easily the hardest boss was the snake god. Her fight is terrible when you only have single target damage. But, I got through it.

>> No.5387869

>>5387849
anything but permadeath runs on insane is easy

>> No.5387871

>>5387823
dig that hole deeper, dumb nigger

>> No.5387879

>>5387871
You're the one bragging about trashy stats, kill yourself zoomer

>> No.5387881

>>5387879
highest roll ive ever seen was a 93, and it didnt have 18/00 strength
so unless you're ctrl+8 ing, you're full of shit and fooling exactly nobody

>> No.5387884

>>5387881
highest possible roll is 108, i have had rolls of over 93, also play non human races to get >18 stats. You're still a little kiddie in his 1st playthrough

>> No.5387890

>>5387884
>18 x 6 = 108
ok

>> No.5387894

>>5387890
anon, he's autistic, quit replying

>> No.5387896

>>5387849
why that particular combo?

>> No.5387940

Never played BG1 and the Gog version isnt working right with the widescreen patch.

Should I play with Tutu or the BG Trilogy?

>> No.5387950

>>5387890
Ok indeed
>>5387894
samefag

>> No.5388573

>>5387940
Both are good, easytutu is the most stable and bug free option, but BGT is really not far behind, check the readme for details. They work the same as far as rules are concerned, and all mods will work with both. It really boils down to wanting Edwin and Viconia right away in BG2, which I wouldn't recommend at all on a first playthrough. They both come with good backstories as for why they are in Athkatla at the beginning of BG2 and you will meet them quite naturally following early quests and wandering around. I'd say it's best to go with tutu for a first playthrough if you really can't bear the original resolution.

>> No.5388731

>>5387940
the best resolution for the widescreen mod is not 1920x1080, it's 1600x900 both for BG1 and BG2, tutu and bgt included. Your problem might also come from this.

>> No.5389412

So I hear weapon summoning spells are shit on pure mages because of their THAC0... is there any way to circumvent that besides multiclassing?

Speaking of THAC0, how does it work in BG-BG2? If my base THAC0 is, say, 17, and my Strength is, I don't know, whatever it would need to be to have a +3 bonus (16, I think?), does that mean I need to roll 14 to hit AC0 with a melee weapon (before applying bonuses and penalties, etc.)?

>> No.5389565

>>5389412
Summon your weapon then cast tenser's transformation maybe. The shit part is the 1 apr for me.

>> No.5389582

What do you like about iwd? I played it as a kid and reached that part where you fight drows before stopping I think then I tried replaying it a few days ago and dropped the game at the library after the Vale of Shadows. Didn't really like how the game tried to drown me in trash mobs. Maybe playing with insane spawn was a mistake.

>> No.5389726

>>5389582
I liked it for it's focus on combat and amazing (for the time) background art, could have benefited from some high-level mage battles to really challenge you; as it stands once you hit level 20 or so and have decent gear the game becomes a bit too easy. Currently playing through Trials of The Luremaster and steamrolling everything

>> No.5389732

>>5389582
iwd is the best because it focuses on the gameplay, not on obsessive story shit

i also like how you can chose your party right from the start
it's the closest to actual pen and paper

>> No.5389806

What spells do you pick for shaman?

>> No.5390183
File: 268 KB, 1680x1050, 2016-01-11_00002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5389582
>What do you like about iwd?
music, in-game sounds (including the voices you can choose, as well as enemy noises), ambiance, some of the environments look really nice (especially kuldahar), I prefer it's designs for the equipment screen and some of it's items (armor, weapons, gem bag, etc) over that of BG's, I like the sparse talking npc's (when you do talk to someone, it feels special) and the feeling of being alone in the past at the far edge of the world, I actually really like mowing through hordes of weaker enemies with a few strong enemies and the occasional difficult boss

it's really not hard, it's just satisfying; it's a very all-around satisfying game to play
sometimes I'll just linger somewhere because of how it looks, sounds, and feels

>> No.5390228

>>5389412
>Speaking of THAC0, how does it work in BG-BG2?
Subtract enemy AC from your THAC0 after all the modifiers. That's what you need to roll at or above to hit.

>> No.5390243

>>5390183
it also has the best portraits by far

pic related is my smug fighter druid

>> No.5390246
File: 45 KB, 210x330, post-4629-1184864712.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5390243
forgot

>> No.5390251
File: 51 KB, 537x608, 1549031260696.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5364014
I play some vidya with this dude and he told me he had never played the original Doom.
I offered to give him the IWADs and get him set up with a source port. He refused and said he would rather buy the games off Steam or GOG. I was so confused that I didn't even know what to say.

>> No.5391804

Why can Viconia use Holy smite but my Fighter/Cleric mc can't?
We're both neutral evil so shouldn't we both be restricted to unholy blight?

>> No.5391814

>>5391804
that must be a bug

>> No.5391817

>>5363392
What difficulty are you playing on? I hope its at least core rules

>> No.5391917

>>5390183
couldn't have said it better, IWD truly is an atmospheric eye-eargasm

pls go out with me

>> No.5391989

Anyone tried the npc mod?

>> No.5392036

>>5391989
You will have to be more specific, anon. I'm going to assume you mean BG1 NPC Project, in which case - yeah, it's good effort and overall faithful to the BG1 personalities.

>> No.5392039

>>5392036
Also I forgot that this is technically an IWD specific thread (I think about those threads as all-IE games), so I guess you mean the relatively obscure IWD NPC mod, in which case, no I haven't. Kinda don't see the appeal.

>> No.5392459

>>5391989
Saerilith is the best NPC, come at me, haters.

>> No.5392561

>>5392459
most of my favorites from bg1 either die or are ignored/forgotten completely
solaufein seems like he'd be a cool addition; never used mods though
I always wanted to know what ender sai was

>> No.5394635

>>5392459
Cringe and pedopilled.