[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 64 KB, 880x492, OP9SxHcWR1n_igYkpMtGOQ_Spellcross-Posledn-bitva-ikona.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5352617 No.5352617 [Reply] [Original]

I promissed to try to make a letsplay of this baby here like two years ago. Now after fighting with recording and editing. I made something... I wonder if it ever could have an influence on gog and motivate them to release it.

https://youtu.be/uq3EJRE89Co

>> No.5353568

To not only shill my shit, are any of you that know this game still around?

It still holds its ground even today. PLaying on hard gives really nice feeling of desperate fight against something that you cant really beat.

>> No.5353950

Never heard of it. Looks interesting tho.

>> No.5353956

>>5352617
go back to scandinavia

>> No.5354057
File: 81 KB, 653x367, 857461-spellcross-653x367[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5353950
yeah, that was its main problem. The international release lack almost any marketing. I state that is was first comercially sucessful game, but it wasnt even that. Which is a shame, because it could have been. The developer still exist (or it appears so), But I think some guy posted on GOG forums that the rights to Spellcross are owned by square enix..

>> No.5354091
File: 827 KB, 942x530, qqE6NPL[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Spellcross thread?

... not created by me?
what is this

I made my tribute to the game as the Spellcross DOOM wad

>> No.5354207

>>5354091
Aparently there are two people who know the game. If you are not me... funny enough I have yet to finish the game...

>> No.5354353

I have made some contributions to the abandoned public wiki I found at spellcross.wikia.com while playing this game like five(?) years ago. Mostly concerning research points (the game doesn't show how many you need for a particular research) and tables with unit stats (for the sake of easier comparison).

>> No.5354450

>>5352617
You will be needing to rely on entrenchment for the infantry ALL THE TIME, especially since you're playing on Veteran. Basically it's:
1. find the high ground
2. entrench everyone
3. send a scout to lure the enemy, then run back
4. survive the onslaught
5. send more scouts, if nobody is nearby, relocate to a new high spot
6. repeat

and yes, it's going to be a very slow game, at least in the early part when infantry is your main force

>> No.5354504

>>5354450
Yeah, also I got surprised how often and soon after digging in do the units get routed just by natural decrease of morale. I dont even want to imagine the hell when Undead will come on veteran...

Otherwise the tactics you wrote is esentially the only way to play. At least until you get to the desert, where shooters/casters can match your range or even exceed it. Then you will have to be more aggresive.

>> No.5354745

>>5352617
I actually remember seeing it once on a vhs tape, my dad recorded couple of tv shows about videogames/computer software and it definitely had a short three minute long review of it, it was very basic, but I remember some of the details that have been shared about it, and actually it would've been neat to know if it was true, the reviewer claimed that it was excelently balanced, bringing together a good combine arms feeling to the army of the human survivors.
>>5354091
Hey, it's you, good to know that you still lurk around.

>> No.5354775
File: 2.47 MB, 3264x2448, MQEIwIo[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5354745
I have to say I am still quite amazed by the AI. It can sneak up on you and use the terrain. And yeah, the combined arms feeling is there at least for me.

I finshed second episode and I have to say that I really enjoy the harder difficulty. https://youtu.be/0hJ6SWCcFUk

It is not trivial on easy, but this will probably force me to come up with some changes in tactics from time to time.

Found the picture of the CD that I had. It worked also as an audio CD with the moody midi OST

>> No.5356139

>>5354450
Can you remind me,when I finish the infantry level, I cant upgrade them to apcs right? I have to buy new vehicles and level them up and either lose or delete the infantry units right?

I am asking this because I am strongly considering buying heavy infantry instead of commandos, which I have been usually using. But the difference in prices makes me wonder if I can save some money this way to be able to buy one or two extra piranhas later on.

>> No.5356771

>>5356139
It's been a long time, but I believe infantry can be upgraded to other infantry type only. Anyway, I don't remember needing to explicitly dismiss any units, since the army pool is quite big (if not limitless), and the only limitation is how many units you can take with you on a single mission, while the others just stay behind (and you can use them if the enemy decides to attack in the next global turn while your recently used units are "cooling off"). I think I ended up upgrading the useless infantry units into flamethrower squads first, and used them for quite a long time, since they are especially effective against the undead, then into psychic squads, then into jetpack infantry or whatever, but I don't think I needed to delete anyone. I might be mixing some things up though, since it's been a long time.

>> No.5356946

>>5356771
cool I will see then. Its not like I will be struggling with place for troops while playing on veteran and without the money cheat...

The flamethrowers will be essential against undead. Seeing how units lose morale even without any enemy nearby, its gonna be mayhem when undead start screaming

>> No.5358150
File: 237 KB, 3264x2448, IMG_20190209_115100.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My bootleg CD

>> No.5358167

>>5358150
Looks better than the us version of the label imo. That one looked always messy to me. Also I love the original lettering on the czech edition.

Btw just now did I notice that the undead guy standing on the heads has a camera... perfect

>> No.5358847

Finished second episode and boy oh boy, It is a difference compared to easy mode on czech version.
I will have to count with losses. Gonna rely on them heavy infantry and hope that they will get that third attack soon. Ihope I wont pay the 40 gold I saved on the purchase on recruiting of fallen soldiers in like two maps:D Luckily the morale is not such an issue as I feared, so it will mainly be the undead to be concerned of.