[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 330 KB, 1920x1080, Baldurs-Gate-2-Enhanced-Edition-screenshots.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5343775 No.5343775 [Reply] [Original]

I just started playing Baldur's Gate 2, and I don't quite see how this is the "best CRPG ever". I played the first Baldur's Gate years ago, I don't remember too much besides the basics of the main plot and that I really hated the endgame, but I have some time now so I decided to give Baldur's Gate 2 a try. I just got to the Copper Coronet after doing the tent thing and getting Aeirie. Is this really it? I don't see the amazing writing or amazing setting, at least planescape hooked me right away with the fantastical setting, interesting characters and the mystery, I don't give a hit about this villian guy and Imoen is fucking annoying and I don't give a shit about saving her.

Should I push through? Does it get any better? What are your recommendations for party members?

I guess a general Baldur's Gate thread as well.

>> No.5343794

>>5343775
>I just started playing Baldur's Gate 2, and I don't quite see how this is the "best CRPG ever".
That's very fair. Tastes differ.
>Is this really it? I don't see the amazing writing or amazing setting
The writing in Baldur's Gate isn't particularly exceptional. The setting is Forgotten Realms, which, while full of cool stuff, is also fairly generic. Where BG2 excels is in the implementation of real-time-with-pause combat, richness of the AD&D system (spells, items, available classes), the colourful party members and very cool location design.
But if you are primarily a fan of writing and roleplaying opportunities, BG2 isn't my first recommendation. It's really good at what it does, though, which is a fun, tactical, varied, entertaining adventure romp.
>What are your recommendations for party members?
Every single party member in the game is valid and pretty strong in their own right, it's all up to playstyle. Mages are generally your most powerful and versatile members, but any team comp works, really, so pick whomever you find fun. Going evil might be a good idea for you because evil party members are very entertaining (iconic, in fact), have great banter between one another, have amazing abilities, and you don't care about Imoen anyway, so you can even roleplay it as someone out for revenge.

Otherwise, just have a fighter, a cleric or druid (or both, druids have some amazing spells), a mage and a thief and fill in whatever to have the bare minimum. More Warriors = faster fights, better burst single-target damage. More Mages = more well-rounded approach, better response to enemies, much stronger AoE.

Much of what makes BG strong is the modding scene turning it into a playground of infinite adventure. But I don't think it has strong writing, so maybe it's just not for you. Which is okay. Hope it helps.

>> No.5343812
File: 39 KB, 661x245, beamniggers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones:

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

>> No.5343831

>>5343775
Baldur's Gate isn't about freedom, choices, or role-playing. It's best played by shutting the fuck up and being lawful good like a good boy while you fuck your waifu (mine is Aerie but you'll probably like Jaheira and/or Viconia more) and doing all of the major quests.

BUT even though I'm like you and PREFER games like PS:T, Arcanum, VTMB, and Morrowind, Baldur's Gate 2 is a hell of a lot of fun. While BG2 isn't on Morrowind's level in terms of worldbuilding/lore or exploration, it is on Morrowind's level when it comes to ridiculous cheese. The way I beat the "super difficult" secret boss in BG2 was fucking hilarious.

More importantly, there are like 5-10 fairly involved side quests that legitimately feel like D&D campaigns with pretty damn good dungeon designs, whereas BG1 quests were fairly barebones. If you don't find the dragon fights, lich fights, or any of the other boss fights in BG2 to be fun, and if you hate all the NPC companions, then it's probably not worth playing.

>> No.5343837

>>5343794
>>5343831
Thank you for giving me some good insight. I will say I'm quite fond of the combat system, I actually enjoyed Icewind Dale a bit, but I always thought of that one as the bare bones story but great combat one, not this one. I suppose I'll push through a bit more, even if the story isn't great then good setpieces and great companions can push me through. I don't like Jaheira that much honestly, but Minsc is great as ever, and Aerie is fun. I also got that evil dwarf and he's fun. I may drop off Jaheira, stick with Minsc, Yoshimo, Aeirie, Evil dwarf and the Cleric man for now.

>>5343812
Don't care, bought the enhanced edition like 2 years ago for 1$, too lazy to get the old version to work on windows 10 AND mod it all up.

>> No.5343849

>>5343837
>Don't care, bought the enhanced edition like 2 years ago for 1$, too lazy to get the old version to work on windows 10 AND mod it all up.
It's an ancient pasta, every single IE thread has it.
Have fun with the game! Once you hit the big sidequests this helpful anon mentioned >>5343831, the gameplay should really pick up.

(I only disagree that you should be the most Lawful Good person ever, because playing the evil party IS a lot of fun even though you end up doing a fuckton of heroics while you're being an evil asshole. There are some evil solutions to quests, though, so it's not the absolute worst. But there are also some great party members for goody-two-shoes; I'm partial to Keldorn and Mazzy myself.)

Korgan is great. Korgan / Edwin / Viconia, the evil trio, are all great NPCs, but Edwin and Minsc don't mesh well together for obvious reasons, and the rule of thumb is that some good and evil NPCs will fight, but not all of them. It's the easiest to stick with a mono-alignment party with Neutrals mixed in or mod out the party conflict stuff from the game like I did because I think the reputation system is poorly implemented and there is some hilarious banter between Good and Evil types, such as Korgan having a crush on a halfling pseudo-paladin voiced by Jennifer Hale.

Also, if you like Minsc, get Jan Jansen.

>> No.5343864

>>5343775
BG2 depends on your imagination and what you bring to it. If you are just waiting to be spoonfed an experience then it won't work. It's like playing a D&D game, you have to imagine and become the character and make your own adventure, goals and motivations. Think up your characters' backstory and personality, the game gives you a lot of freedom to experiment.

Don't treat it like a linear piece of shit, it's more of an open world game where you make your own adventure. Also it can get pretty difficult at times depending on how you play.

>> No.5343867

>>5343864
What's the "easy" way to play?

>> No.5343880

>>5343867
full party, always reload after character dies, easy or normal rules setting (In Normal and Easy settings, characters always successfully scribe scrolls and get maximum hit points on level up. Mobs, spells, etc. do slightly less damage and characters do a bit more damage on Normal. Mobs do even less and players do even more on Easy).

But that's really boring, unless it's your first time playing a D&D CRPG, then it's okay just to learn the mechanics.

I prefer a smaller party, 3-4 characters and hardest rules. Once you know how to play then you can just solo the game on hardest setting with minimal or no reloading/quicksaving.

>> No.5343881

>>5343867
IMHO if you're playing the vanilla game on regular medium difficulty (since that's what I'm assuming OP will be playing cause it's his first time) the easiest way to go is a party with 3+ fighters, 1+ mage, 1 thief, 1 divine caster (you can have multiclasses, it's actually pretty damn impossible to have a thief but not a mage due to how the NPCs are set up) and simply cast Haste (and later Improved Haste on the hardest hitters) and just attack. Keldorn further simplifies this process with his Inquisitor's special Dispel Magic, but anyone will do.
In such a simple playthrough a mage exists mostly for buffing and removing magical defenses from people so that the fighters can get damage in.
Very fast, very efficient, hard to kill (cause you have a ton of high HP meatshields), capable of nuking big threats (dragons) in seconds, and very little micro because you have few spellcasters to keep track of. Keep a steady supply of consumables for big fights.

Heavy magic parties are generally more optimized because they have the answer to absolutely everything, can take on fights in multiple styles and have more tools in general, but if I wanted to give a beginner something he can stomp the base game with, I'd just pile up the martials and go fuck shit up. BG2 hands out great weapons like candy, after all.

>> No.5343885

>>5343775
I think dual orb 2 is more your speed

>> No.5343923

>>5343885
Dual orb 2 more like dual orb poo

>> No.5343926

>>5343812

FYI this weirdo has a copy paste thing on every single mention of this game.

Triggered because it has a gay character or whatever in the remake

>> No.5343929
File: 228 KB, 485x883, 1480665990494.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5343812
We get it faggot, Beamdog sucks. Go back to posting Andy Sixx memes or something.

>> No.5344002

>>5343926
>>5343929
why does this pasta triggers effeminate retards so hard every time lmao
are you really so dense as to think there's only one person posting this shit and taking the piss at the fact that beamdog sucks?

>> No.5344006

>>5343837
Drop these lame goody two shoes, get Edwin, Korgan, Viconia, Jan and Aerie for bullying

>> No.5344206

>>5343812
The biggest crime of Beamdog games is this:
BB:EEs don't have built-in Polish voice-acting with their Polish versions. That's a fucking crime against humanity. Also, Amber Scott is a misandrist, but that's obvious.

>>5343837
>Don't care, bought the enhanced edition like 2 years ago for 1$, too lazy to get the old version to work on windows 10 AND mod it all up.

I'm using Big World Setup to mod the original GOG BGs for me, so half the hassle trying to configure 40+ mods goes away.

>> No.5344254

Any tips for taking Firkraag down before going to spellhold?

>> No.5344279

>>5344254
Lower Resist and Breach, then melee him. Keep everyone spread to minimize his AoE. Stoneskin for dragons in BG is weirdly (uniquely) coded so Breach won't remove the Stoneskin, so use Secret Word or Pierce Magic or similar effect if you don't have a possible mod component that alters this behavior.

As dragons are mostly really big wizards with huge HP, melee is amazing to have in this fight, once the protections are down you can reliably hit the bugger and just zerg him down. In fact, as the series progresses, vanilla dragons go down pretty fast under either Improved Haste + Critical Strike or Greater Whirlwind. In SCS with doubled Dragon HP having solid melee is also really useful on these fights.

Keep everyone on high Fire resistance. A mage is probably the best "tank" for this fight, as Stoneskin, PfMW and all sorts of other defensive measures work really well here. With Lower Resist Firkraag should even hurt himself on Fireshield (Red).

Greater Malison and similar effects (Doom) can possibly enable some funny finishers like Chromatic Orb or Finger of Death. Lower Resist makes him vulnerable to Harm.

>> No.5344283

>>5343812
Beamdog be a guilty of a fuckin shitload of different crimes yo. Here is tha major ones:

1. Da Enhanced Editions is essentially a cold-ass lil collection of free modz dat had existed fo' nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered dem all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it n' resold it as a freshly smoked up product. Therez straight-up hella lil up in tha Enhanced Editions dat wasn't already up there, n' most of it is shiznit you don't want (like obnoxious characta outlines).

2. Da game didn't push so well n' tha originals was still far outpimpin them, even twenty muthafuckin years afta they release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop pushin tha originals n' ONLY push tha Enhanced Edition. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. If you wanna loot a gangbangin' finger-lickin' digital copy of tha originals now, they "bundled" tha fuck into tha Enhanced Edition. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Now these scumbags can claim salez from playas just wantin ta loot tha originals as they own.

3. Da inhyped 600+ bugs on launch. Da game is still riddled wit bugs (as even a perfunctory glizzle over they forums show) but tha fact dat it took nearly two muthafuckin years fo' dem ta git a game dat had been hustlin fine fo' 20 muthafuckin years ta reach playabilitizzle afta launch is spittin some lyrics ta of they wild incompetence.

>> No.5344284

>>5343812
>>5344283
4. This is where we git ta tha ones dat straight-up piss playas off. Beamdog couldn't just remasta tha game, they had ta fuck wit tha content like a muthafucka. New dialogue fo' existin NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was freestyled up in ta make tha charactas mo' progressive n' leftist bumpin'. Beamdog shills will argue dat "addin content aint changin content XDDD" but it is when tha freshly smoked up content chizzlez tha core personalitizzlez of tha existin characters. This is up in addizzle ta addin a slew of they own LGBT (hitherto there was none up in Baldurz Gate) NPCs, all flooded wit OP attributes n' magic shit ta encourage playas ta play dem despite they cancer.

5. Right back up in yo muthafuckin ass. Siege of motherfuckin Dragonspear.

>> No.5344328

So, I'm about to murder the fuck out of Sarevok and I guess I'm ready to tackle SoD and see what this shitstorm is all about. As long as you stick to non-EE companions (Dorn, Neera and the monk are already disabled by default), it can't be as bad as people claim right?

I guess it's just gonna feel weird for Dynaheir to forget everything about us being lovers in BG:EE, which is immersion-breaking as fuck, but at least you can start a proto-romance with Viccy from what I hear. Although taking into account the lead writer's sentiments towards men this might turn out to be a shitfest.

>> No.5344356

>>5344206
How the original release of Baldur's Gate looked in Poland? I know CD Projekt started there. They still have the best WRPG's physical editions, I have bought a couple of Obsidian games there.

>> No.5344372

>>5344356
Basically, CDP partnered with Interplay on a number of their old releases but couldn't get anything bigger because Interplay was wary of paying a lot of money to release a game in a market known for rampant piracy rates. But then they talked with the BioWare execs who really liked the guys and that opened the talks to a deal where CDP would basically fund the whole thing out of their pocket and do everything on their own - to the extent that Interplay / BioWare didn't even provide any localization guidelines.

They got some writers to do the translation of the first game, including a somewhat renowned translator and journalist Andrzej "EGM" Sawicki and shitty Polish writer and journalist Jacek Piekara. They hired a sleuth of well-known Polish stage actors to do stuff, although you can tell the voice acting direction was dodgy in places - the actors generally do a great job, but it's obvious some lines were done in only one take.

Anyway, the piracy problem was dealt with by simply releasing a game on multiple CDs (pirated games were appreciated on a per-CD value; apparently, they didn't want to initially localize Fallout because of this) and packing it full of feelies so that pirating wasn't worth it.

Baldur's Gate was a massive success as a result, and a hit. The sequel also sold like hotcakes. In terms of localization, it was better or worse in some cases - it was worked on mostly by hobbyists (including a 16 year old guy who went on to become, like, the biggest Polish youtuber), but they really cleaned up the voice acting (BG1 had the dreadful faux-Russian accents given to Imoen and Dynaheir, of all people; Minsc, also a Rashemeni, sounds nothing like he's related to Dynaheir as a result), though at the expense of other things (way, way more text to translate + weaker translators = many, many more fuckups per volume).

>> No.5344373

>>5344356
Polish version of Baldur's Gate 2 is actually considered one of the best localisations of the game. The game was HUGE in Poland and is one of the reasons why this genre is alive in well in Poland.

And from what I remember the physical edition was quite rich - with added soundtrack, t-shirt, giant manual and walkthrough, behind- the-scenes stuff and so on. It also cost a small fortune.
And the localisation itself was great - CDP brought the best and most recognizable Polish actors at the time with 20+ years of experience in movies and theater to perform and it showed. Fronczewski, Kolberger, Kownacka, Perepeczko, Zborowski and Opania were huge household names that most blockbuster movies would be envy of.
Although some BG 1 voices were sometimes hit-or-miss - like the Imoen one who was given a new voice actress in BG2, or Sarevok who sounded a bit too evil and try-hard for my taste.

>> No.5344375

>>5344356
>>5344372
It bears repeating that the Polish version wasn't supervised by the patron company in any way and they basically threw their stuff in by editing the dialog.tlk with in-house programs they coded themselves, and the main problem of the Polish version (which is overall an excellent effort) is that no translator ever received any context as to which line is spoken by whom, and they also didn't organize their work much; the illithium questline has NPCs constantly changing their mind about the amount of the ore necessary for the bust because the translators didn't come up with an unified weight conversion system and dialog.tlk is a chaotic mess where you're, by necessity, doing things out of order, with very little context.

Generally speaking, localized video games in Poland very often become big hits and exude inexplicable meme power after the years. Baldur's Gate here is iconic as a result. Another RPG whose appeal was largely carried by the translation is Gothic.

>> No.5344384

>>5344373
>like the Imoen one who was given a new voice actress in BG2
Anna Dużyńska actually had played Imoen in both games (Not Iwona Rulewicz as Wikipedia claims - she's listed nowhere in the manual for either game). My assumption is that the weird Russian accents given to some NPCs (including Imoen) stemmed from the original translators thinking they have to emulate the colourful accents present in the English dubbing (Jim Cummings as Minsc sounds vaguely Slavic). Evidently they quit that because nobody in BG2 speaks like that anymore.

The voice actor for Minsc between the two games also hasn't changed one bit - they just told Janusz Marcinowicz to ham it up in the second game.

>> No.5344387

>>5344372
>packing it full of feelies
Do you have pics of that?

>> No.5344392

>>5344375
>localized video games in Poland very often become big hits and exude inexplicable meme power after the years

It still shows some particular good taste. Baldur's Gate was fully localized here too (Spain) but no one cared that much. In the other hand Metal Gear Solid dub is still remembered. There's a thing with RPG's in Poland, don't know why.

>> No.5344393

>>5344384
Doesn't it stem from the fact the Imoen was in fact the last-minute addition to the game, and nobody from the translation crew knew what the fuck to do with her and what's her point so they half-assed some stupid accent for her and moved on?

As for Minsc - I have a vague impression that his voice was digitally altered in BG2 to sound deeper than it really is. And it sounds really bizarre.
Same case with Sarevok - Zborowski has some fucking DEEP voice but not this deep. There are sometimes instances when I cannot understand what he's saying.

>> No.5344423

>>5343812
based and redpilled

>> No.5344424

>>5344393
>Doesn't it stem from the fact the Imoen was in fact the last-minute addition to the game, and nobody from the translation crew knew what the fuck to do with her
Very much irrelevant to the translation process because CDProjekt started off the localization work on a very late pre-release of the game.

Remember that Baldur's Gate is primarily a collaboration of Polish artists working for major theatres. Dużyńska was also a theatre actress and voice acting sessions are generally done "in one go", so its doubtful they'd suddenly be like OH SHIT WE NEED AN ACTRESS FOR THE NPC NO ONE KNEW ABOUT. Dużyńska is pretty talented anyway; it's not her fault that her accent is retarded, she loses it in BG2.
Most of BG1's voice acting is like that, really - everyone has their own pronunciation for things, at one point Fronczewski is told to say "lasy Cloakwood" instead of "Knieja Otulisko", they didn't have a goddamn clue what the desired effect should be.

It's not like Taerom Fuiruim whom in Polish only exists the way he does because one of the devs wanted a cameo. Mogę seplenić, jakkolwiek zechcesz, ale niech to będzie wyzwanie!
Just look at how Dynaheir in English sounds French but her accent in Polish is also some weird mutant while Minsc's original accent is missing entirely. They didn't have direction, they just had the vague idea and saw what sticks. CEO is on the record as saying that they really want Kowalewski to do Tiax in BG1. Notice how Tiax in BG2 sounds completely different? They didn't get Kowalewski to reprise his role and in the middle of the process made new Tiax sound like a carbon copy of his English self instead.
Like, compare the delivery of:
"Do ya wanna tell me a story 'bout trollops an' plug tails? Please?" - your little sister asking you to tell her a story.
to
"Chcesz mi opowiedzjec historiję o królach i kapuscje? Proszę!" - your weird Russian sister reacting to you offering to tell her a story.

>> No.5344467

>>5344424
Interesting post but
>Just look at how Dynaheir in English sounds French
She absolutely doesn't, or I'm definitely missing something
t. French

>> No.5344478

>>5344467
She says "D'accord" if I'm hearing her correctly.

>> No.5344481

>>5344423
>based and redpilled
>lol 4chan approved right? kekeke
kys you fucking drone

>> No.5344485

>>5344467
For my ear Jennifer Hale does a trip all over fucking Europe with that accent.

>>5344478
I'm pretty sure she's saying "Thy called?". Dynaheir obssessed with "thee's" and "thou's".

>> No.5344503

>>5344485
You're right, actually. well, either way, Dynaheir has a weird accent.

>> No.5344506

>>5343775
Back to Skyrim with you. Infinity engine games are not about "cinematic experience", they are about actually well done role playing gameplay.

The graphics are timeless, and the gameplay is actually really good for RPGs. They actually can be challenging without being boring broken shit.

>> No.5344513

>>5344506
>they are about actually well done role playing gameplay.
If you could actually read what he said then he praises PS:T in the post you're quoting.
>they are about actually well done role playing gameplay.
BG2 has hardly any choices and consequences, a poorly developed "evil" playthrough and the story is nothing to write home about.

>> No.5344539

>>5344254
A couple of lower resists and then Feeblemind will allow you to just beat him to death no worries

Or you can lay a shitton of traps and kill him like that

>> No.5344572

>>5344513
>he praises PS:T
Yea, because it panders to braindead retards who only paly games for "muh story, muh cinematic experience".

>>5344513
>BG2 has hardly any choices and consequences, a poorly developed "evil" playthrough and the story is nothing to write home about.
Again, nothing but "muh story". I was talking about actual gameplay. This is much more important than the fucking story. If you want a good story then read a fucking book. I like Infinity engine games because they actually have interesting and very tactical gameplay. This is something which is extremely rare in RPGs.

>> No.5344578

>>5344572
>Yea, because it panders to braindead retards who only paly games for "muh story, muh cinematic experience".
>literally in his previous post: "Infinity engine games are not about "cinematic experience"
>PS:T is not an Infinity Engine game
Go bait somewhere else.

>> No.5344581

>>5344578
>PS:T is not an Infinity Engine game
of course it is, but it is the worst
i think icewind dale is the best, because it focuses on the gameplay instead of just muh story shit

>> No.5344585

>>5344581
>moving the goalposts
you obviously haven't even played PS:T

>> No.5344590

>>5344585
except i didn't move any goalposts
infinity engine games simply have the best rpg gameplay imo, due to the d&d rules and the RTwP combat
PS:T is just an exception because it focuses so much on the story

>> No.5344597

>>5344481
>tourist snapping at a pasta and some guy answering 'based'
Just fuck off this website, Amber Scott.

>> No.5344601

>>5344590
you made a blanket statement about IE games failing to read the OP and telling him to go back to Skyrim because a pedestrian first person experience reliant on setpieces in an open-world game is according to you comparable to a game that is mostly presented through text
in short, you're the kind of person that claims a book is "cinematic" because it has narration and calling everyone a retard even though you're the one who has problems reading
and you're being painfully disingenuous on top of that because PS:T is a very competent adventure in its own right and not some humorless words-words-words-words drivel

>> No.5344613

>>5344601
>you made a blanket statement about IE games
no, i made a correct statement about them
PS:T is simply an exception because it focuses on the story

>telling him to go back to Skyrim
yea, because he is obviously not interested in good gameplay
he wants easy shit gameplay any retard can play while only caring about story shit
in other words he wants to get spoonfed and skyrim is pretty good for this

>a book is "cinematic" because it has narration
definitely more cinematic than games
retards liek you don't want actual games, you just want cinematic experiences, you want interactive movies
that's why i rather recommend skyrim instead of IE games to you

>> No.5344614

>>5344601
Not him but you're completely overblowing and misinterpreting what he says
Fuck those "look at me, right after getting out of Irenicus' dungeon and reading 3 dialogs I can 100% say BG2 is completely overrated because the story and characters aren't deep enough for my refined and complex literary tastes" threads indeed.

This one is an exception because OP seem to genuinely want to discover the game anyway and didn't act like a retarded cunt, but still. Fuck that retarded pseudo intellectual bullshit.

>> No.5344643

>>5343880
Once you know how to play, there's literally no reason not to do it with SCS, rather than boring shit like solo runs.
Ironman or no reload is the shit though, really adds depth and intensity to the run
tfw Edwin gets permakilled and you lose both your best caster and the robe of vecna and you have to go pick up Nalia and you still don't know how are we helping the less fortunates trudging around in here

>> No.5344649

>>5344613
>retards liek you don't want actual games, you just want cinematic experiences, you want interactive movies
I play Insane SCS/Ascension and can still appreciate PS:T for what it brings to the table
Meanwhile OP made a well-intentioned post about how BG2 starts slow for him and afterwards mellowed out after he was told that the adventure gets better, just not in the way he might be used to
Meanwhile you are reaching and calling him a cinematicfag who can't appreciate IE games evne though he named one he liked and then proceeded to instantly claim "but that one doesn't count!"
PS:T has an interesting adventure setting, great NPC interactions and explores one of the most underused D&D settings out there. It's a gem for these reasons. If you claim "it's just story" as if it were fact and compare its brand of storytelling to Skyrim, you haven't played it.
And you claim I'm misrepresenting and overblowing what he says when he's making statements like these: >>5344613
You know what's more cinematic than anything else? Watching helplessly while Imoen is jailed for casting spells and going through all the dream sequences.

>> No.5344660

>>5344649
>calling him a cinematicfag who can't appreciate IE games evne though he named one he liked
yea, because he liked the only IE game which panders to cinematic fags
again PS:T is an exception because it doesn't focus on the gameplay as much
he obviously is more concerned about the story than the gameplay, so I think he should rather play Witcher 3 or whatever
this game is amazing when it comes to story shit, but the gameplay is complete garbage

>> No.5344670

>>5344660
>the gameplay is complete garbage
Mental stats actually affecting choices in conversation, seeking out tattoos to enhance your stats, multiple different endings, choices regarding your companions that later bring dividends or consequences depending on what you picked are all part of PS:T gameplay, exploring the setting world, exploring the characters you travel with. That you're willing to dismiss it all under the blanket term "story" is ludicrous for me.

>> No.5344684

>>5344670
did i ever say PS:T has no gameplay at all? nice strawmanning
of course the game also has some gameplay elements, but in comparison to other IE games it focuses more on the story

that's why OP likes it, but I think the story was never the strength of these games
the strength of IE games is the gameplay and the timeless graphics
they just have very cool combat and really nice aesthetics, but in terms of story, I think they are nothing really special

>> No.5344691

>>5344684
>did i ever say PS:T has no gameplay at all? nice strawmanning
I am being called a strawman by someone who tells people that if they enjoy games with stories then they are brainlets who should fuck off to /v/ and that PS:T is in the same basket as Skyrim. Absolutely rich.
>they just have very cool combat and really nice aesthetics, but in terms of story, I think they are nothing really special
Which was established 20 minutes into this thread's creation.

>> No.5344706

>>5344691
>tells people that if they enjoy games with stories then they are brainlets
nice strawmanning again

i also enjoy a good story in an rpg, but you also can exaggerate this, you know
i don't expect high level story telling from a fucking video game
i play video games mainly for the gameplay obviously
but OP sounds like he just plays for the story, which is fucking retarded

that's why i recommend rather modern rogs, because they dumbed down the gameplay massively and instead just focus rather on story and cinematics

IE games are more similar to pen and paper, while modern RPGs are more like interactive movies

>> No.5344732

>>5344706
>it panders to braindead retards who only paly games for "muh story, muh cinematic experience".
>muh strawman

>> No.5344734

>>5344581
Eeeeh, I would say that from all the IE games I enjoy BG series the most. It feels like the most complete package, with decent story and characters and good gameplay and encounter design.

Torment has a great story, characters and RP, but the gameplay itself can be a bit lackluster. Sometimes it plays more like a visual novel than a cRPG.

And honestly, I could never get into IWD series. It has good encounter design, but I never could get into the story and constant series of fights kinda bore me after a while.

I'm not shitting on the PST and IWD, mind you. It's just if I were to pick one, that would be BG.

>> No.5344736
File: 459 KB, 640x480, summons.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5343775
It isn't a game for everyone. If what you want is near endless replayability due to party composition and build choices, this is the game for you. The game engine is awesome and paying a warrior, thief, mage, cleric, or combination thereof all feel very different and give you different approaches to encounters. In addition, the system lets every class feel overpowered in its own way (while still being a little challenging, instant death everywhere).

It is the best RPG because no single game has as much content, variety, playability, graphics, etc in one package. Not because every single person is going to like it.

>> No.5344737

>>5344732
>only playing for story is the same as enjoying a story
get a fucking brain you tard

>> No.5344738

>>5344737
How do you know the OP only enjoyed PS:T because of the story? Did you just make up a strawman? :^)

>> No.5344740

>>5344738
because it focuses heavily on the story, and OP just complained about story shit

he is obviously more concerned with story than with gameplay

>> No.5344741

>>5344740
I don't even know where the idea that you should play an RPG for the story is from. Dungeons and Dragons is a game where you go into dungeons and crypts and collect treasures from defeating monsters and looting chests.

>> No.5344742

>>5344740
>he is obviously more concerned with story than with gameplay
>obviously
nice strawman

>> No.5344743

>>5344734
a good story is nice, but it starts to get annoying when you want replay games

>> No.5344747

>>5344741
that's just modern gamers
they just want interactive movies instead of actual games with replayability

>>5344742
did he ever complain about the gameplay?

>> No.5344751

>>5344206
>I'm using Big World Setup

only acceptable answer when it comes to playing BG with TuTu a close second if you want to experience the noveltly of playing the two games seemlessly combined in the 2nd game's engine.

>> No.5344752

>>5344747
>that's just modern gamers
>they just want interactive movies instead of actual games with replayability
another strawman
>did he ever complain about the gameplay?
he did, but you've already shown your inability to read the OP before bashing. He managed to do 4 hours of the game and was unimpressed by what you do in it, by the NPCs, by the setup, by the areas. All part of the gameplay.
He later admitted anyway that he likes the combat.

>> No.5344762

>>5344743
I agree with John Carmack. The story in a video game is like the story in a porno. You expect it to be there and its better that it is, but that's not why you are there.

>> No.5344764

>another strawman
except it's a fucking fact

replayability is bad for making money with games
for companies it is optimal that people play through your game once, and then move on to the next
that's the way of consumerism, always looking for the next trendy thing

that's why rpgs focus so heavily on cinematic shit and story nowadays, instead of actual nice gameplay like most IE games did

thus you have all these dumbfucks who only play for the story nowadays because they were literally programmed to think like this

>he did
no, he did not, at least not in the OP
he only complained about the story and the aesthetics
if you expect me to read a whole thread before posting then fuck off

the story in BG2 is good enough
no idea why anyone would dismiss the game for its story

>> No.5344772

>>5344762
i disagree with that
some story belongs to rpgs, yes, but there are also many great game genres where story is just fucking annoying

>> No.5344778

>>5344764
>except it's a fucking fact
which is why Divinity Original Sin 2 sold better than Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny and Tides of Numenera, right?

>> No.5344781

Are there any mods that improve the infamous romance ending for Viconia? The only one that comes to my mind is the one from the Edwin mod.

And for fuck's sake, my CHARNAME deserves some happiness in love. He lost Dynaheir, was forced to undergo the events of SoD (and that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy - some retarded gnome kept pestering him for buttsex) and when things were starting to look up with Viconia, she's about to die in the epilogue from some bullshit deus ex machina

>> No.5344797

>>5344778
it most likely sold better simply because it has modern graphics

2d graphics are also a big no-no for modern gamers

>> No.5344826

>>5344797
Also Co-op.
On the other hand, Kingmaker is also doing relatively well. It's not selling in millions of copies, but it's doing fine.
On the other hand, Deadfire, Tides of Numanuma and Tyranny flopped spectacularly.
It might be due to the fact modern players don't like old-school RPGs, or simply because all of the above games are simply boring and unapealling to the larger fanbase. Gamers want fun, lighthearted games, not pretentious pseudo-philosophical hack stories with contemporary agendas thrown in for a good measure, written by some asshole that thinks he's making new Torment.

Deadfire in particular misunderstood why players still love Baldur's Gate to this day (by Sawyer's own admission - he doesn't give a fuck about IE games and their legacy) and the game managed to alienate the old-school crowd quite succesfully while not being appealing enough to a popcorn RPG crowd. Also there were no waifus in Deadfire.

>> No.5344860

>>5344002
Truth hurts.

>> No.5344957

>>5343812
Thank you, for your service

>> No.5344968

>>5344762
So the story is important.

>> No.5344997
File: 120 KB, 210x330, Anomen_Delryn_NANOMEN_Portrait_BG2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Baldur's Gate 2 is the best CRPG made yet.
There are just so many different aspects to it. 14 playable characters, each of whom has at least a basic character arc and storyline (some more than others) and unique interactions with each of the other party members. 13 classes, each divided into subclasses. A rules engine you could write a dissertation about. Multiclassing and dual classing. The party and player character class combinations are greater than the number of atoms in the universe and capable of providing radically different gameplay experiences. THREE elven waifu romances to choose from (sorry ladies you're stuck with just this utter tool). Cat fights between waifus! Genuinely rewarding gameplay (i.e. the game rewards you for playing well - not grinding, but for being tactical and inventive). A bad guy you REALLY WANT TO KILL. The music and ambient sound is so good, and so varied, you can tell where you are in the game with your eyes closed by listening to the audio cues. An amazing library of spells you can experiment with. Magic weapons with stories. Magic weapons with personalities. TRAPS. The list is endless.

>> No.5345009

Holy fuck I woke up and came back to a shitstorm

As I said in >>5343837 I really like the IE combat engine, and I love AD&D, grew up playing it with my friends. My problem was if I just want combat challenges and dungeon crawling, I could just go play ID. I cam to BG expecting a mixture of story and gameplay, and was disappointed with the gameplay initially

I will say I put in a few hours last night,got the evil allies, did the slaving ring quest, got the book for the dwarf and did a part of that murderer quest at the bridge and I'm enjoying it a bit more now. I think the starter dungeon just really took something out of me, it was a neat idea and had some cool shit in it (The room with perserved slaves, the elemental whatchamidgits, cloning vats) but it just didn't appeal to me for some reason. Now I'm having more fun.

>> No.5345016

>>5345009
Dungeon crawling and gameplay in general is better in Baldur's Gate than in Icewind Dale.
I mean, if you're already familiar with IE games, just go with Sword Coast Stratagems, it's hands down the best tactical experience the genre has to offer, absolutely unironically.

>> No.5345019

>>5343775
I didn't like it when I first got it either. It took me quite a while to appreciate it, now it's probably my 2nd favorite of the genre.

>>5344826
>It might be due to the fact modern players don't like old-school RPGs
the crowd they're trying to reach just doesn't like those games, and the people that do don't like the ones they're trying to sell

>> No.5345023

>>5344002
>there's only one person posting this shit

Nah, just NPCs.

>> No.5345031

>>5345009
Also you're barely at the beginning of the game, I mean there are a fuckton of quests with amazing encounters and great level design, from the beginning to the end. De'Arnise Keep, Planar Sphere, Planar Prison, Unseeing Eye, the Temple Ruins, the Windspear Hills, and that's only for chapters 2-3, chapter 4 to 6 have tons more.
There are so many great dungeons in this game, it's not even funny.
But it takes more time to get to them because there is more content than in Icewind Dale and it's not spread in the same manner but you'll discover all of this on your own.
>>5345023
Very insightful retort to which I tip my fedora.
But tell me, O free thinker, what kind of mindless fucking drone comes in /vr/ threads exclusively to defend a retarded shitty company against the vile assaults of a copypasta denouncing its misdeeds?

>> No.5345034
File: 268 KB, 1680x1050, 2016-01-11_00002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5344997
the two most basic things I enjoy about BG 1/2 is how the sprites and items look, and the simple noises of the game, like equipping various items/casting spells/hitting an enemy, and the voice acting/dialogue is about the best I've seen
When I play a game that doesn't have that, I can really feel the absence.

>>5345016
>Dungeon crawling and gameplay in general is better in Baldur's Gate than in Icewind Dale.
The dungeons in bg2 are more like puzzles/contained adventure scenarios (and more of a chore, IMO) which is truer to D&D, but I generally like the dungeons in IWD better, aesthetically if nothing else (though some are plenty bad). I always look forward to the early vale of shadows, severed hand, and upper dorn's deep.

>> No.5345046

>>5345034
>and more of a chore, IMO
That's funny, that's exactly how I feel after a few hours on Icewind Dale. But I have replayed every single dungeon in the BG saga several times with and without SCS without ever getting bored.
Apples and oranges I guess.

>> No.5345054

>>5345009
Well, the starting dungeon AKA Chateau Irenicus is kinda sorta shit.
It goes forever, it's sometimes really obtuse, it forces backtracking - the quicker you are done with it the better.
The game really opens up once you start gathering money for the main quest.

Also, if you haven't done it before, go to the Noble District immediately to snatch the best waifu (and the cleric) in the game.

>> No.5345086

>>5345054
I already did. My party so far is:
Minsc
Aerie
Jan
Viconia
Korgan

Does that sound bad?

>> No.5345087

>>5345086
Do you play as an arcane caster? If not I'd say kick Minsc out and get Edwin.

>> No.5345092

>>5345086
it's bad for at least one reason: it won't last too long, but don't worry about that, just play the game

I almost always play good characters, and I still like to have korgan in my party, for a while anyway, because of how good he is, and I genuinely like him. Viconia too, to a lesser extent.

>> No.5345093

>>5345086
>Aerie & Viconia
I want to save them both brehs..

>> No.5345094

>>5345086
Otherwise that should work anyway, but if you don't have at least one full class mage, you're missing out on all the good stuff.

>> No.5345101

>>5345087
I'm playing a Fighter/Mage

>>5345092
I know Aerie was IMMEDIATELY very against having her, so I imagine she'll eventually leave if I continue. Fuck her, I want me my sexy drow cleric.

I don't want a completely evil party, what is a good alternative if she ends up leaving.

>> No.5345109

>>5345086
Aside from the fact that half of them will try to murder each other, it doesn't sound too bad.
I would switch Jan for Yoshimo as a rogue, but that's just me. You can also drop Korgan for Keldorn later on - he's a good Paladin tank.
Keep in mind that Keldorn has conflicts with Viconia later on. Aerie starts off quite weak, but becomes a universalist powerhouse later on.
You might also consider Edwin if you are in a dire need of a wizard - but he also comes into blows with Minsc.
Some claim that Jaheira is pretty good, but to be honest I never could find a use for her in my party other than backup healer.
Also, what class is your CHARNAME?

>> No.5345110

>>5345101
well, she's a mage and a cleric
if you want a mage, get nalia (or edwin if you want evil)
if you want a cleric, get anomen
there are others, but I recommend these

>> No.5345114

>>5345109
>Some claim that Jaheira is pretty good, but to be honest I never could find a use for her in my party other than backup healer.
she's fucking solid
she's a great tank, has good offensive/buffing spells, and is a healer as well; you ever used mountain bears?

>> No.5345118

>>5345101
she won't leave because of Viconia (unless you're actively a dick to her at certain points, but who could be so cruel?), but she might force you to choose between her and Korgan at some point.
A good workaround for that is replacing Korgan with Keldorn or Haer Dalis, even temporarily, or having 18 charisma (almost no chance for the conflict to erupt at this charisma level)
>>5345109
none of them will get at each other throats, even if Korgan or Aerie have a conflict you have 24 hours to remove one from the party to avoid Aerie fucking off forever (and even then, I think she goes back to the circus anyway so you can recruit her again).
Also, dropping Jan for Yoshimo is really a piss poor idea. You have one thief who can do basically nothing, and one thief who can cast spell, one is clearly better than the other and pro-tip, it's not Yoshi.

>> No.5345119

>>5345109
>Also, what class is your CHARNAME
Said it in the post you replied to, Fighter/mage

>> No.5345128

>>5345101
>fighter mage
all the more reason to drop Minsc and get the best spellcaster in the game I'd say.
But your party is pretty viable already.
Only thing is, you'll take a while to get to level 6-7-8-9 spells (the good stuff) while Edwin will be able to spam those pretty quickly.

>> No.5345131

>>5343831
>It's best played by shutting the fuck up and being lawful good like a good boy while you fuck your waifu
It's actually about trying to make the best of your situation (murder every single day) and grind mad exp before anything stronger than you can show up and kill your face. The reason you do good-boy shit is so that society doesn't immediately reject you and you can get your grubby hands on their assortment of magical trinkets. That and the XP rewards are literally the only reason you go through such nonsense. By all means, even if you save them now, there will be MORE trolls and MORE evil dragons once you have left and every individual person who doesn't spend their childhood chasing rats with a kitchen knife in preparation for the future they know is coming is explicitly selfish and lazy.

>> No.5345132

>>5345101
I don't think Aerie will leave because of Viconia - unless you will deliberately try to fuck both of them, which would lead to some pretty nasty catfight. Also Aerie and Korgan HATE each other so keep that in mind.

Also, keep in mind that in TOB you'll get the access to the best fighter in the entire series - so you may plan your party accordingly.

>>5345114
Don't get me wrong - I usually have her in my party anyway - she's just this jack-of-all trades without any established function in the party.
Minsc/Keldorn/Sarevok usually take care of tanking and damage, Aerie and/or Viconia is for buffing and healing, my MC (usually a mage) or eventually Imoen takes care of the offensive spells. Jaheira just kinda feels a bit redundant .

>> No.5345137

>>5345132
with ironskin, I think she is the best tank

>> No.5345140

>>5345131
absolutely based and redpilled

>> No.5345142

>>5345137
arcane casters are the best tanks

>> No.5345146

>>5345142
with all the right spells cast, sure
but jaheira casually walks around with -10 or lower and has a lot of hp to boot

>> No.5345149

>>5345146
Not even that many spells to cast to reach that.
I mean fighter mages will have a big hp pool too, but most importantly all arcane casters (except fucking transmuters, but who in the hell would make one?) have the best spell in the game, spell immunity abjuration, which prevents them from getting dispelled at the wrong time. Can't beat that.

>> No.5345152

Thinking of doing SCS as a solo F/M/T with Kensai (staff obviously) kit. How absolutely madman would this be and at what point will shenanigans not be completely hilarious?

>> No.5345153

>>5345149
You can beat that with spellstrike. You just cast spellstrike over and over.

>> No.5345157

>>5345149
my point was that you have to stop and cast a lot of spells, which have finite durations
even if the durations don't run out during the dungeon, that's still a chunk of your spells per day and you have to do it every time

but that's the end of my argument, so if I'm still wrong I'll drop it

>> No.5345159

>>5345153
>spellstrike
why use a level 9 spell for that when spell thrust does the job at level 3.
but spell shield.
As long as spell shield is refreshed, even spellstrike won't hit the spell immunity abjuration.

>> No.5345162

>>5345157
managing the durations and the spell protection dispelling is the core of F/M gameplay, but as long as it's properly managed, it's virtually unbeatable.

>> No.5345165

>>5344778
>>5344797
Divinity is a way better game than any of those. It has a fun, tactical combat system with flashy attacks that are satisfying to pull off while PoE is shallow and dull.

>> No.5345172

>>5345165
PoE and Numanuma take themselves way, waaaay too seriously. Also, the PoE system is an obtuse mess, that deliberately tries to reinvent the wheel - sometimes for no fucking reason.

>> No.5345173

>>5344762
>but that's not why you are there
Except when you are, and the rich and branching story is the game's selling point, which is not uncommon in the RPG genre? I don't like Forgotten Realms, for example, so i never played BG1 and BG2 for more than several hours. I won't say anything about the gameplay because i obviously not familiar with it but the setting alone turned me away. The point is, noone absolutely has to suffer through the aspect of the game he actively dislikes if the other aspects don't compensate it for him.

>> No.5345187

>>5345173
Not really. Planescape Torment is one game.

>> No.5345191

Thinking of a one of each race party in iwd

>Human Paladin
>Half-Elf Bard
>Halfling Fighter/Thief
>Dwarf Fighter/Cleric
>Gnome Fighter/illusionist
>Elf ...
What's the elf?

If bg2 classes, I guess Sorcerer
Ranger or bow Fighter maybe
Mage/Cleric perhaps
Ideally not Fighter/Mage since it would be too close to the gnome

>> No.5345196

>>5345191
Disc version or EE?

Disc version: Fighter, Ranger, Fighter-Mage
EE: Swashbuckler is a solid choice (hell, it is for the halfling, too).

>> No.5345197

>>5345165
it is flashy shit for zoomers, yea
pillars of eternity instead is like a fine painting, calm and sophisticated, rather for a more mature audience

>> No.5345206

>>5345197
That's pretty low effort, man.

>> No.5345207
File: 943 KB, 624x910, elf_druid.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5345191
I would go pure Wizard. You can't have enough magical firepower.
If not - a druid.

>> No.5345213

>>5345206
divinity is for the world of warcraft and dota crowd
you can already see this in the artstyle

pillars of eternity has a much more mature artstyle

>> No.5345216

>>5345213
The gameplay of PoE is a dumbed down version of Dragon Age (a game already shallow compared to Baldur's Gate).

>> No.5345224
File: 147 KB, 585x100, those_sad_people.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5345213
You know what?
I think I'll take my World of Warcraft artstyle if you don't mind.
You can have your "mature style"if you want, though.

>> No.5345223

>>5345216
What's shallow about PoE, what's missign from it compared to Baldur's Gate? I thought it was basically D&D with the serial numbers filed off.

>> No.5345226

>>5345207
Only humans and half-elves can be druids, otherwise that would've tied things up quite nicely imo.
Pure wizard might be the way to go.

>>5345196
I think I'll go EE, but I might purposefully avoid the bg2 classes.

>> No.5345229

>>5345226
>elves can't be druids
That's what I get for using mods that remove the class restictions.

Also - where is the logic in the fact that elves can't be druids? It's fantasy cliche 101.

>> No.5345230

>>5345191
>Elf Cleric/Mage
makes the most sense, but all these partial casters in a 6-person party are not going to get good spells

but you don't have a "nature" character, so I guess an archer ranger, which plays to an elf's strenghts perfectly and gives you a solid ranged attacker

if not bg2 classes, then fighter, specializing in bows first and longswords second, or ranger if you really want those spells

>> No.5345232

>>5345223
When you play it for a while, you realize that all abilities are just slight modifiers. Baldur's Gate AD&D2e is about huge swings (this is what makes it exciting). Crowd control in PoE is garbage, AoE is limited, items are boring (they all item incremental %). Can you summon hordes of powerful allies in PoE? Can you rain massive AoE abilities on to entire rooms? Can you spam massive crowd controls to confuse hordes of badguys? Not really.

>> No.5345236

>>5345224
looks better than the shit in divinity
divinity looks like cheap plastic compared, while poe looks like a fine painting

>> No.5345242

>>5345229
>Also - where is the logic in the fact that elves can't be druids? It's fantasy cliche 101.
I don't know really, always thought it was a little odd.
Maybe it has something to do with faerûn druids being about balance, where they might protect goblins from more civilized races like elves if they see them as part of the ecosystem, while elves love nature and prefer to lord over it.

Maybe wild elves can be druids but not the playable moon elves.

>> No.5345260

>>5345242
Huh, I am pretty sure that elves in IWD:EE can be druids.
I am rolling one at the moment. Maybe it's something EE added. I actually don't remember how things were in original IWD. I played it years ago.

>> No.5345261

>>5345232
sounds more like the game is simply too hard for you, and you rather want flashy overpowered shit to completely ruin any form of challenge

>> No.5345264

>>5345261
I know this board is dominated by low effort trolling like this, but since this is the best place for discussing Baldur's Gate, I'd ask you to kindly cease.

>> No.5345270

>>5345261
Go home, Josh. You're drunk. Nobody likes your game.

>> No.5345273

>>5345264
if you only complain about lack of OP spells and completely dismiss the game for this, then this is simply how you sound

if lack of OP spells make a game bad, then baldurs gate games are also shit except for the endgame

>> No.5345275

>>5345273
Why are you even here?

You know all enemies in Baldur's Gate have the same spell pool and the series is infamous for how often enemy mages use crowd control and instant death.

>> No.5345276

>>5345261
He's absolutely right though, PoE is a watered down normalised version of 2e, all about muh balance and all of that MMO/MOBA-inspired boring shit.
Infinty engine games are so endearing because the balance is good but not autistically "everything must be equal to everything else" retarded tier and the fun comes from finding out how a game mechanic can be not only abused but quite literally gangraped.
There's none of that in PoE, just minmax as best you can and you'll still be pretty much as boring as any other class to fight borderline retarded AI. What amazing fun.

>> No.5345279

>>5345260
Probably an EE thing.
Elves can't be elves in bg which I can confirm in fairly reliable guides, but I don't have any reliable iwd guides at hand.

IWD did have some slight changes to baldurs gate, like sleep being a different level spell iirc, different opposite spell schools.
So it could've been different there too.
I don't have iwd installed at this moment. Might install both ee and standard iwd later to check.

>> No.5345289

>>5345191
I once did
>human inquisitor
>half-elf ranger/cleric
>elf archer
>dwarf fighter
>gnome ftr/illusionist
>halfling fighter/thief

and in BG1 I did
>half-elf bard
>half-orc fighter
>dwarf cleric (MC)
>elf archer
>gnome illusionist
>halfling thief

>> No.5345292

>>5345276
in other words, you are a powergamer who simply wants to cheese the shit out of the game

>it's badly balanced, therefor it's better balanced
your argument is just fucking retarded, makes no sense at all

>> No.5345294

>>5345292
Every single class is unbalanced in its own way, so yes, that is balance.

Compare to PoE where some classes are better than others, or Dragon Age, where they only way to tackle the highest difficulty is to take every mage, because they are a better class than the others at everything except face tanking bosses.

>> No.5345296

>>5345294
And this is with no revisions, either.

PoE has had tons of autistic tweaking, none of which has made it any more fun. You just tank and spank every fight because creative use of abillities is too complicated for the shallow, boring drudge of grinding through enemies.

>> No.5345297

>>5345279
Apparently, it's the old AD&D thing, so both vanilla IWD and BG 1 disallow elves to become druids beacuse reasons.
You'd think that wood elf druid is a no-brainer combination.
EE actually allows the elves to roll a druid. IMO one of the few things EEs have done right.

>> No.5345305

>>5345289
>half-elf bard
*skald

>> No.5345313

>>5345292
are you a literal tard with no ability to understand what the fuck he is reading?
Serious question.
If you want to have fun with an autstically balanced system in which each class is stricly equal to any other, just go play any MMO or any MOBA on the market, at least, you'll have actual players to be on equal boring footing with.
Otherwise, I don't think at all that finding fun in discovering how rules can be used and abused is powergaming, it's quite the opposite really, because there is not actual powergaming goal behind it aside from finding fun to play combinations, not the most efficient one. Which you would have understood from my previous post if you were not completely illiterate. Stick your "in other words" in your ass until you learn to read, trying to rephrase is only useful if you are able to extract meaning from the original statement, you strawmanning shithead.

>> No.5345317

Why is fireball so bad? It's nearly always going to hit your own allies, and most of the time you're going to be hit before you have time to cast it anyways.

>> No.5345325

>>5345317
Use invisibility or rogues to scout out potential targets to hit them before they can see you. Or use it to clear out archers or casters.

>> No.5345334

>>5345292
PoE doesn't have waifus. Therefore it's shit. QED.

Seriously though, you can sperg about game mechanics all day, but one thing that put me off Deadfire and to a lesser extent PoE 1 was the writing.
It's simply too pretentious and way too deep it's own ass and the story it's trying to tell is simply not enaging for me to care.
Baldur's Gate had rather simple (but not stupid) story that immediately hooked the player, plus some fairly cliched if really likeable companions to make adventuring fun.
Companions in Deadfire on the other hand are simply unlikeable - and don't get me started on the romance, and the story is the prime example of dungeon master playing with himself - while the player is forbidden to interfere with a story he's trying to tell - while at the same time being so barebones that it feels like an afterthought. At least in BGs - who admittedly was also quite linear - shit was happening.

>> No.5345335

>>5345294
>Compare to PoE where some classes are better than others

>>5345313
>autstically balanced system in which each class is stricly equal to any other

you retards here make zero sense
it's obvious as fuck that you are just heavily biased

>> No.5345338

>>5345335
And you're unable to provide any intelligible argumeent for whatever the fuck you're trying to argue now.
it's obvious as fuck that you are just heavily biased

>> No.5345340

>>5345335
Its exactly like a MOBA, everything is homogenized, and because of this, every class does the same thing. But because one class can do it slightly better, it is a better choice. Not sure how that's confusing. In Baldur's Gate, classes do wildly different things.

>> No.5345345

>>5345317
In BG 1 I kept casting FB pretty much blindly to clear out casters in the second row. One well-placed fireball can make your life much easier.

>> No.5345357

>>5345297
Part of the EEtweaks mod allows you to roll any race/class/kit you can think of. My IWD:EE party went something like this:

Halfling cavalier paladin (can use Helm of the Trusted Defender,
longswords for Pale Justice)

Dwarf defender(axes, hammers and sword+shield style)

Half-elf fighter/cleric of Lathander (used EEkeeper to give the cleric kit, sword+shield and mace/morningstar/flail)

Elf fighter/thief (two weapon style and shortswords)

Elf archer (short+longbows, class is kinda OP and has about 60% of all party kills early on)

Human fighter/Transmuter (crossbows and staff, again used EEkeeper for the specialist mage class)

>> No.5345370
File: 619 KB, 635x480, bg1no3pips.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5345357
>Human fighter/Transmuter (crossbows and staff, again used EEkeeper for the specialist mage class)
That might've been possible in og iwd.
It was in baldurs gate 1.
Characters that did dual class into specialist mages would turn into normal mages upon converting to bg2 though.

>> No.5345382

>>5345357
>Elf archer (short+longbows, class is kinda OP and has about 60% of all party kills early on)
Yeah, the ranged classes are beastly in early BG1 - as Kivan promptly demonstrates, and archer in BG:EE is insanely broken.

My archer actually managed to murder the fuck out of Firebead Elvenhair and half of Candlekeep right at the very start of the game without any effort.

>> No.5345386

>>5345370
Huh, shows how long it's been since I played vanilla, will add that EEtweaks allows multi/dual class characters to put more than two pips in a weapon proficiency or fighting style

>> No.5345387

>>5345382
After I first beat iwd I decided to make an elven fighter(2 pips in bow, 2 pips in large sword), then I added 6 of him to my party and killed all of easthaven

can't continue throughout the game doing that sadly

>> No.5345391

>>5345386
fighting style for all classes is a pretty good component imo.
Can finally stop wasting points in every weapon category that you will never use for non-fighter types.

>> No.5345392

>>5345387
Just make an elf archer, use console commands to get the godbow and solo the game, shits a riot.

>> No.5345401

>>5345391
True, I always give my ranged characters a melee weapon and single-weapon style just in case something gribbly gets through the meatshields and goes for my backline

>> No.5345404

>>5345386
I feel like limited pips are an important balancing factor. Grandmastery is too strong (since EE uses full grandmastery) too give out to multiclasses.

>> No.5345424

>>5345404
not really, when you think about it dual classes can get it and there's no logical reason for a multiclass to be stuck at two pips. Grandmastery is nice sure, but not gamebreakingly powerful either, and even if you don't have it there are some indirect and limited ways to get it anyway, like black blade of disaster. The extra 1/2 APR is definitely nice, but it's not that much of a critical balance factor in a game where you can do way crazier shit than boosting your hasted APR count by 1.

>> No.5345426

>>5345370
>might've
What am I saying.
I know it was possible in og iwd.
I had a Thief>Invoker and a Thief>Conjurer in the party I beat the game with.

>> No.5345428

>>5345404
I see where you're coming from but I've played the original IE games to death over the years, I mostly play IWD:EE (pirated it as i couldn't justify spending money on it) going for a HOF playthrough with level 12 party where you could argue that grandmastery is needed to actually hit what you're trying to fight

>> No.5345452

How do I play AD&D IRL

>> No.5345471

>>5345452
You need friends for that :/

I guess you can play with strangers, some do that. Go to /tg/ and ask them.

>> No.5345478

>>5345452
You could try Roll20, or do what
>>5345471
Says and ask the greybeards

>> No.5345482

>>5345452
I would run you a basic one-shot adventure over Discord if we had a few people, I can't get a game going and my tabletop life is depressing, but I could at least get you an introduction into the P&P world.

>> No.5345527

Baldur's gate is nice and all, but the Gold Box games are where it's at

>> No.5345591

Vicky ending is bittersweet, but she lives on through her son, so I don't think it feels pointless.
I wonder if Lolth eventually get to her when you don't romance her.
I'm not sure what happens to Viconia in those circumstances, is her soul taken to the demonweb pits to be tortured for ever, does shar claim her.
If you ascend, you probably can't just kill Lolth, but maybe you can at least protect Viconia. Especially if she became your first cleric.

As long as Aerie grows and becomes strong during your journey with you, without the romance, I think she'd find a happy life eventually among the gnomes. Maybe one day sit in a cottage with gnome/elf grandchildren reading them stories.
It's not as sweet as the romance ending though.

Jaheira seems lost in her ending without romance, and I don't think she'll love again after Khalid if it isn't Charname.
Initially I thought she was the most whole of them, who didn't need charname, but I think she needs him the most.

eh, anomen will be fine

>> No.5345616

I was able to beat Irenicus in BG2 but for the life of me I never beat Sarevok in BG1. What are the best cheese strategies against Sarevok?

>> No.5345625

>>5345452
You become a fa/tg/uy

>> No.5345627

>>5345616
Just put all your best equipment on your strongest fighter and give them every buff you can, then go in along the left side until you aggro him (and him alone), then just whack him to death.

>> No.5345629

>>5345616
I struggled against him too, I finally beat him by casting Dispel on him followed by repeatedly hitting him with a wand of paralysation until he failed his save (took a couple of reloads) this strategy also works with the TOTSC boss Karoug

>> No.5345638

>>5345627
This way seems to have variable results, especially on EE, I've often found that as soon as you aggro one of them they all pile in, scouting the goons out with an invisible thief and hitting them with silence can be a lifesaver, also helps if you kill Tazok back at the bandit camp

>> No.5345648

>>5345591
I always kill aerie while she's an ogre

>> No.5345651

>>5345648
there's a special place in the abyss for people like you

>> No.5345659

>>5345651
the throne of bhaal?

>> No.5345672

>>5345651
she's not a good person. she's selfish. she's a narc. she whines and expects others to care because she's special, and she bases her sense of self worth on this and assaults others with her feelings when she's displeased. having her around is a job and her use as a tool doesn't make up for her inability to care for herself.

>> No.5345678

>>5345651
also last time I talked to anomen he hit on my wife viconia and I immediately petrified him and left him sitting in the bar for the rest of the game

toxic narcissists need to be removed

>> No.5345707

>>5345034
IWD has possibly my favorite atmosphere of any game ever. The encounter design is just leagues about BG 1, also. God, I wish I could forget that game and play it again. Sorry for the blog post but I first played it the summer when I was 12, getting up early to play it. Then I rediscovered it after I had graduated college and was broke and lonely working a job I hated in a new city. And IWD was just as good as it was when I was 12.

Fantastic game, hugely underrated. The sequel isn't bad, but it drags on for far too long and the difficulty spikes are a little ridiculous. Also only Infinity Engine game besides PS:T to never get an expansion pack.

>> No.5345708

>>5345672
she hits character development to the point where she tells Korgan he is an unwashed manlet with a tiny dick and pulls her weight in combat while pregnant

>> No.5345710

>>5345191
Keep in mind that IWD is low on scrolls, so I'd go with a sorceror.

>> No.5345716

>>5345708
because she's scared of being rejected or abandoned. that makes it worthless. it's less than worthless, it's fucking annoying.

>> No.5345735

>>5345708
>Aerie: I’m sick of your insults, you bastard! You’re worth less than the feces of an unwashed kobold! You’re stupid, bigoted, mean, small minded and small membered! Now leave me alone or I’ll cast a spell of withering on that pathetic excuse for a manhood you’re always scratching at between your legs!
daaaaamn

>> No.5345736

>>5345716
not at the point where those interactions actually happen
she becomes a much stronger woman in ToB, whether you romance her or not
Korgan, after the verbal lambasting she gives him, considers her as having passed his "test"
meanwhile in your relationship with her she graduates from "shy virgin I don't know what to do help me oniichan" to "I prepared a Spell Suckwiener with three of Aerie's Kegel Enhancers, get ready to be drained tonight"

>> No.5345745

>>5345736
literally trash tier worst girl in the entire series

>> No.5345746

>tfw no aerie gf who stutters as she calls you her love
>tfw no viconia gf who you can blow away with cuddling
>tfw only nalia gf

>> No.5345750

>>5345745
great argument anon

>> No.5345757

>>5345745
>worst girl in the entire series
>in the entire series
>not Skie

>> No.5345765

>>5345750
she's a fucking trained pet

>> No.5345781

>>5345707
I agree. I was also about 12 or 13.

I love chapter 1 of IWD 2, but it starts to drag for me after the airship crash. Gets good again after you leave the underdark, but that's so far into the game that I rarely get that far.

>>5345672
anon, you're evil IRL, that's why you think this and why you have such a bad attitude

>> No.5345792

>>5345781
adults do not have a right to act like children

>> No.5345795

>>5345792
that's a swell opinion
anyway, it's not her fault she's been super sheltered

>> No.5345808

>>5345792
ironic

>> No.5345820

>>5345795
yes it is, being submissive and passive aggressive and getting people to baby her is literally just her mode of conversation, her victim status is a means of leverage and when she finally catches up with everyone else she acts like she deserves validation for being such a good girl who can meet everyone's expectations

it's trash. nobody needs this person in their lives except for other trash.

>> No.5345829

>>5345820
Who hurt you so badly anon? You can tell me, I promise it'll be our secret

>> No.5345834

>>5345820
are you aware of how *you* come off?

I don't blame aerie, she's was raised in a circus cage for fuck's sake, and guess who the first person to "raise" her was? The biggest asshole potential party-member in BG1.

>> No.5345841

>>5345829
I've only ever been disappointed
>>5345834
she doesn't deserve help.

>> No.5345846

>>5345820
A lot of people are trash, but they can become something more with support

>> No.5345852

>>5345841
well, that finishes my argument

>> No.5345856

>>5345846
if they can't change to surpass themselves they never became anything and have no value as a sentient creature

>> No.5345862

>>5345856
where'd you find this description of me

>> No.5346129

What are some other old CRPG's if I like Baldur's Gate. Preferably not fantasy..

>> No.5346138

>>5346129
>not fantasy
>old cRPGs
>like Baldur's Gate
Fallout comes from the same era but has a wholly different direction, Albion is a small game where sci-fi meets fantasy halfway in a unique blend, and Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday plays like a Gold Box game but is set in space. Also not strictly an RPG, but try Jagged Alliance 2.

>> No.5346157

>>5346129
[SPOILER]underrail[/SPOILER]

>> No.5346160

>>5346157
fuck

>> No.5346186

>>5344254
Buff Cleric THAC0+Harm. Fight's over if you break his magic resistance.

>> No.5346192

>>5344372
>Andrzej "EGM" Sawicki
Awww shit, he's dead.

>> No.5346196

I'm looking to play a female paladin, but none of the voice sets in BG2 fit. Anyone have any recommendations for a voice set mod?

>> No.5346279
File: 845 KB, 1920x2164, iwdeenoelfdruid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5345260
>Huh, I am pretty sure that elves in IWD:EE can be druids.
>I am rolling one at the moment. Maybe it's something EE added. I actually don't remember how things were in original IWD. I played it years ago.
What mods are you running?

>> No.5346284

>>5346192
It wasn't a pretty end, either.
His last writings basically imply he lost his will to live along with his wife and son.

>> No.5346286

>>5345229
My only complaint with AD&D/2nd Edition is Gary Gygax's bizarre views on racial class restrictions and classes in general.
>elves can't be druids
>dwarves can't be paladins
>dwarves and elves can be clerics and thieves, but only gnomes and half-orcs get to be cleric/thieves
>bards have to become 5th level fighters, 5th level thieves, and then become a druid, except instead of becoming a druid they become a bard at that point

>> No.5346298

>>5346286
>>elves can't be druids
>>dwarves can't be paladins
>>dwarves and elves can be clerics and thieves, but only gnomes and half-orcs get to be cleric/thieves
Seems fine to me

>> No.5346307

>>5346298
>elve's can't be druids
>seems fine to me
What? Elves are treehuggers, they should be the pefect druids

>> No.5346356

>>5346307
Elves are smart enough not to become furries

>> No.5346372

Couple questions incoming.

I've got BG:TotSC and BG2:ToB, which I'm using to play BG Tutu.
I'd like some of the BG:EE stuff though, like BG2 spells at the shops/in random loot tables, as well as a way to buy katanas. There doesn't seem to be anything on sorcerers.net for that, though. Anyone know of any mods for that kind of thing? I've heard people mod EE to be more like Tutu, hoping I can go in the other direction.

Also, I have a soundset I got from IWD2 that I really like, and it works on BG2/Tutu, but it's really quiet for some reason, like it's still barely audible even after everyone else is way too loud. Any ideas how I can make it louder? Maybe I could upload it somewhere and someone could do it for me?

>> No.5346382

>>5346356
This was 1e/2e, wildshape wasn't a huge part of their repetoire, it was a side thing. More than anything they were nature priests that happened to be able to shapeshift at high levels

>> No.5346384

>>5346372
Tweak Anthology, the Exotic Items Pack component. No idea for the sounds though.

>> No.5346403

>>5346384
>Tweak Anthology
Thanks a million.

>> No.5346407

Why are there monks and sorcerors in Baldur's gate when those classes didn't exist in 2e?

>> No.5346418

How good is a fighter for soloing?

>> No.5346421

>>5346407
There aren't.
Mods and EE added them to baldurs gate.

3rd edition came out around the time of bg2 and some stuff from it were added.

>> No.5346426

>Prevent Aerie-Haer'Dalis Romance
Kek. I never delved into any of the romance stuff (Hell, I didn't even know BG1 had companion quests), but, of the available females I definitely liked Aerie the most (at least by default since Imoen's your sister), so that shit would definitely have pissed me off. Didn't even know Haer could romance Aerie.

>> No.5346429

>>5346418
Rough, not sure if it's doable.

Dwarf or Halfling Fighter/Thief might work.

Human thief, that gets to 100 find traps and then dual classes into fighter might have a chance.

>> No.5346434

>>5346426
>haer'dalis challenges you to a duel
>you defend yourself
>aerie tells you to stop and says she loves haer'dalis
That would've crushed 11 year old me, luckily 11 year old me had excellent taste and went for Viconia... while being the wrong race so no romance.

>> No.5346436
File: 1.16 MB, 1222x1014, half elf dagger fighter.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5346418
blew through bg1 no problem
started bg2, but got kinda burnt out, cuz of number bloat and magic traps

i'd wager it's doable, but I'm not positive.

>> No.5346442

>>5346436
oh cool

>> No.5346443

Alright so I'm on the Tweaks Anthology page but I'm a fucking brainlet and have no idea what in the hell I'm doing. Can I get some handholding?

I'm here:
https://github.com/Gibberlings3/Tweaks-Anthology
I don't know what a .bat is, I don't know what .gitignore is.

I clicked the button and downloaded the .zip, but, I have no idea what to do now. The Gibberlings page says I can select each component to install separately, does that mean there's some kind of install wizard that will open? I don't see an .exe anywhere.

>> No.5346509

>>5346443
get it from here
https://www.gibberlings3.net/files/file/973-the-tweaks-anthology/
download the exe, run, profit
just kidding, read the goddamn readme first if you want to know what you're doing.

>> No.5346513

>>5346509
(run the exe, it will prompt an option asking if you want the readme, say yes, so you won't have to guess what the components you are installing actually do)

>> No.5346517

>>5346434
Lemme guess - an elf?
It is kinda bizarre that Viconia doesn't want to fuck elves, yet she has no problems with half-elves.

Also, from what I remember Aerie/Haer'dalis romance goes nowhere beacuse they break up anyway.
And IIRC you have to be a complete brainlet/asshole to make Aerie choose Haer'dalis over you. This love triangle is actually stacked in CHARNAME's favor.

>> No.5346528

>>5346517
Wait, I can't romance Viconia if I'm an elf?

FUCK

>> No.5346541

>>5346509
>>5346513
I read this:
"Windows
"Tweaks Anthology for Windows is distributed as a self-extracting archive and includes a WeiDU installer. To install, simply double-click the archive and follow the instructions on screen.

"Alternatively, the files can be extracted into your game directory using 7zip or WinRAR. When properly extracted, your game directory will contain setup-cdtweaks.exe and the folder cdtweaks. To install, double-click setup-cdtweaks.exe and follow the instructions on screen.

"You can run setup-cdtweaks.exe in your game folder to reinstall, uninstall or otherwise change components."

But nothing I did would make the "setup-cdtweaks.exe" show up. I tried extracting to Black Isle, and every game's root folder. I only ever got the "cdtweaks" folder, and "package_mod.bat" and whatever ".gitignore" is.

I just downloaded "cdtweaks-v8.exe" from the download sidebar on the page you linked, and that seems to be working.

Thanks mate.

>> No.5346548

>>5346517
Yeah elf, it's the go to preteen-teen race
In bg1 I made an elf mage as the character I mostly remember as "my character", but I may have made like 50 that didn't even clear nashkel mines.
bg2 also elf, but elf kensai and colored like a drow.

I'd blame drow indoctrination being especially severe against darthir, but she seemed more receptive towards coran and kivan(even though he didn't care for it), so I don't think that really fits. What opens up the romance in the early stages seem to be lust anyway so elves should look fine to her.

>And IIRC you have to be a complete brainlet/asshole to make Aerie choose Haer'dalis over you. This love triangle is actually stacked in CHARNAME's favor.
hm, what I read suggested that it all hinged on you accepting the challenge to duel, but maybe there were more modifiers to it.
The guide from sorcerers.net skipped the haer'dalis stuff sadly so can't consult it, otherwise it was pretty thorough with dialoge trees, but only the ones with consequences(other than haer)

>> No.5346549

>>5346279
None, actually. Elf druids are a thing since 1.4 update. So it seems, your game is not up to date.

>> No.5346553

>>5346548
>The guide from sorcerers.net skipped the haer'dalis stuff sadly so can't consult it, otherwise it was pretty thorough with dialoge trees
most of these dialogues are in the NPC interactions guide slightly below this one.

>> No.5346568

>>5343812
Only thing of any value Beamdog ever did was bunch of new textures. Old ones weren't exactly perfect for scaling up to modern bit higher resolutions. That shit was originally done photographing odd materials and adding color filters with photoshop on 'em.

>> No.5346581

So how do the romances work exactly? Can I not romance Aeirie because I had the drow in my party? And where does Jaheira go when you dismiss her?

>> No.5346613

>>5346581
>Can I not romance Aeirie because I had the drow in my party?
You can.
Their romances can be active at the same time, and if they are they'll interrupt eachother at times.

>AERIE: Shut up, drow! Shut up! As if anyone would listen to... to the opinions of some poisonous serpent! Spend your venom elsewhere, Viconia! He won't listen to you!
>VICCY: What if he will? Perhaps my charms appeal more than yours. You might amuse for a few moments, but <CHARNAME> deserves someone of vigor like me.

>> No.5346619

>>5346581
Occasionally companions will strike up a conversation with you. If that character is eligible for romance, they'll do this more often. Say the right things to them and the romance grow, say the wrong thing and the romance will be broken. Having them leave your party can also break it.
Aerie and Viconia are both male romance options (depending on your race) and will compete for your affection until you pick one outright.
About half the companions (including Jaheira) go to the copper coronet when dismissed. The others have a home to go back to.

>> No.5346646

>>5346581
Having a drow in the party has nothing to do with it.
How it works is that romances are based on the universal timer.
Every 1 RL hour your potential love interest - Aerie, Jaheira or the only one that truly matters, Viconia will try to initiate a conversation with you. You'll recognize it by cutesy musical cue kicking in, provided you met the romance requirements (a proper race and sex and IIRC in Aerie's case high reputation). It usually boils down to not being an asshole to them during a conversation and giving them the "right answer" to their questions depending on their personality traits and the romance will continue. If your LI haven't talked to you in more than an hour - and you are not in the dungeon that freezes the conversation timer - the romance is probably dead or you have to go somewhere special, like the inn or something.
If you try to romance two or more of them at once they will start sniping at each other in their lovetalks and will eventually force you to choose if this goes on for too long. Aerie is suprisingly vicious in her catfights.
Also apparently romance is supposed to break if you dismiss your LI from the party - but this is quite wonky. I kept dismissing Vicky from my party and she was still eager to jump my bones.

Also, Jaheira should hang out in the Docks near a Harper Hold after you dismiss her. Vicky goes to the graveyard, Aerie goes back to the circus.

>> No.5346652

>>5346646
>Aerie is suprisingly vicious in her catfights.
The Khalid line is pretty damn mean.
I'd want there to be an option where say you like aerie while also telling her that speaking so ill of Khalid isn't okay.
I used to let Jaheira get petrified and then adventure with Khalid in bg1.

>Also apparently romance is supposed to break if you dismiss your LI from the party - but this is quite wonky. I kept dismissing Vicky from my party and she was still eager to jump my bones.
Apparently Jaheira is especially sensitive to that.

>> No.5346653

>>5346652
>I used to let Jaheira get petrified and then adventure with Khalid in bg1.
Based.

>> No.5346654

>>5346646
Can you make them fight to the death though?

>> No.5346679

>>5346654
No, but you can make Aerie so sad and angry she fucks off back to the circus but then never actually makes it there and probably gets killed on the way.

>> No.5346681

>>5346654
I've been looking, but I haven't found any results that lead to Viconia casting hold person on you and then taking down aerie with drow-ju-jitsu.
I'll keep looking though, it is the logical conclusion of the love triangle.

>> No.5346697

>>5346681
the actual logical conclusion of this love triangle should be yuri

>> No.5346698

>>5346679
Or get hopelessly lost and then abducted by some perverted old dude and sold as a sex slave.
That's a basis for some wicked hentai.

>> No.5346704

>>5346679
she probably stumbled upon a genie and got her wings and flight capability back and flew home :)

>> No.5346707

>>5346646
>Jaheira should hang out in the Docks near a Harper Hold after you dismiss her.
Only if you kick her out after leaving Chateau Irenicus. If you ask her to leave beforehand, or don't even let her join right of her cage, she will leave forever.

>> No.5346746

>Vicky and Aerie interrupt Jaheiras romance once
>Aerie interrupts Vickys romance twice
>Jaheira interrupts Vickys romance thrice
>Vicky and Jaheira interrupts Aerie romance four times.

>> No.5346750

>>5346646
Aerie and Viconia can be dismissed for about three days without breaking the romance, Jaheira is the only one that can't ever be dismissed if you want to complete the romance. Reputation has no impact on the romance except if you are in the unhappy-serious range or below (5 or less for Aerie, 16 or more for Viconia), it might stall it until you get the reputation back to an acceptable level. If they fuck off because of your rep it also breaks the romance.

On a side note, petrification and imprisonment will cause a bug that breaks the romance 99% of the time.
It isn't usually much of a problem, but if you are playing with SCS, this can happen more than once, and it can happen even if you have "completed" the romance (RomanceActive global variable at 2).
So just in case, if you play with SCS and are going for a romance, you might want to keep the console command to put the romance back on track handy.

>> No.5346760

>>5346746
And Aerie has the shortest romance. She can't seem to catch a break.

Also, apparently Viconia has the longest. I notoriously keep running out of game content, while the romance is still unfolding. I actually had to stop progressing in the story and wait for a while just standing still, for the romance to conclude.

>> No.5346767

>>5346750
>Reputation has no impact on the romance except if you are in the unhappy-serious range or below (5 or less for Aerie, 16 or more for Viconia), it might stall it until you get the reputation back to an acceptable level. If they fuck off because of your rep it also breaks the romance.
Affects some specific choices.
Like when you sleep with Phaere

>1. She forced me, Jaheira. I had no choice if I wanted to maintain our guise.
13+ reputation and she accepts it, less then 13 and the romance ends

>> No.5346781

>>5346750
Refresh my memory - is there an option to decrease the reputation in BG2 that does not involve the Slayer or murder of random peasants? I think BG NPCProject introduced bards that could've smear you.
My reputation is usually fairly high - and I'm about to hit Trademeet and this fucking place gives away reputation points like candy. And I really want that sexy drow ass.

>> No.5346801

>>5346781
Stealing from stores and getting caught gives a small reputation drop.
Just make sure they don't have anything good first and they're out of the way somewhere because they'll go hostile and killing them will tank your reputation significantly.

>> No.5346804

>>5346760
In my very first BG2 run I remember the last conversation happening right in front of the gates of Suldanessellar and the main part of the romance playing out in the underdark, timing was really good on this one.
>>5346767
I think you have another dialogue option to get away with it regardless of your rep
>>5346781
I usually play low-medium rep, between 6 and 9, main thing is to avoid reputation boosts, and you can avoid almost all of them with the right choices and dialogue options.
For trademeet, if you don't care about Cernd, you can poison the druid grove and actually lose rep if you talk to Logan again (but you need to be of evil alignment to get this option, a npc will spawn and offer you this solution because he wants to bulldoze a road though the grove)
Otherwise, there are a few opportunities to lose rep while maintaining roleplay and not going on a djihad in the name of Bhaal
In the Mae'Var quest, when you get to kill him, spam AoE spells and kill the poor dude in his cell "by accident". You can also murder Marcus to get the documents.
If you have unfinshed business (and you should, it's great), it adds a pretty good quest with Haer Dalis, The Murder of Acton Balthis, HD will be falsely accused of murder and you can execute the guy who framed him on the spot, losing rep for doing so
if you play a short tempered character, you can of course decapitate good old Neeber
you can kill the guy who cucks Keldorn
you can blackmail and ransom the noblewoman in the bridge district linked to the red cloth gravedigger quest (and get a pair of sick trousers in the process)
and the best one imo
you can talk to Salvanas with Edwina

>> No.5346819

>>5346804
>I think you have another dialogue option to get away with it regardless of your rep
Yeah you do.

>> No.5346821

Does CLUAConsole:Exec not work in BGTutu? I'm trying to use it to automate learning spells but I just can't get it to work.

>> No.5346827

>>5346804
>I think you have another dialogue option to get away with it regardless of your rep
If I remember correctly Aerie will always break up with you you sleep with Phaere, you can convince Jaheira "it was necessary" based on a rep check, and Viconia doesn't give a fuck. She just has some quality words for Phaere later on during the Ust Natha finale. Something along the lines of: "You really thought you could manipulate MY man?".

>> No.5346849

>>5346750
Huh, is the reputation conflict dependent on the romance progession? My rep was 18+, I was NG, I was quite far into the Viccy romance and she never even made a peep that she wants to leave and the romance never stalled.
And no - no mods were installed at the time. My charisma was 19 at the time, though.

>> No.5346865

>>5346849
maybe it's just for Aerie then, her romance stalled when I got below 5 and took back up once I was above 6. I tried going below and she indeed left. Maybe Viconia doesn't care about rep as long as her romance is active then. I'm pretty sure charisma has no impact in this instance.

>> No.5347156

So, there's a way to override NPC character portraits, there's a way to give custom soundsets subtitles, and there's a way to entirely change NPC classes and attributes.

Is there a way to override NPC soundsets?

>> No.5347307

>>5344581
>because it focuses on the gameplay instead of just muh story shit

a balance of those two would be better. IWD became a stale experience quickly. Only the exploration aspect kept it somewhat exciting. I take PS:T any day over that.

>> No.5347389
File: 55 KB, 2198x422, phaere.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5346827
You don't need the reputation for jaheire, there's still another option.
But one of the options you have is dependant on reputation.

>She just has some quality words for Phaere later on during the Ust Natha finale. Something along the lines of: "You really thought you could manipulate MY man?".
neat

>> No.5347429

>190 postings in a day
jfc wtf, this ain't /v/.

>> No.5347440
File: 1.14 MB, 250x250, young bryan cranston reading your post.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5346443
>I don't know what a .bat is, I don't know what .gitignore is.

>> No.5347492

>>5347307
>IWD became a stale experience quickly.
Thank you. So I'm not the only one who thinks that.
Truth be told - I could never get into Icewind Dale. I only managed to finish it once. By comparison I have 15+ complete playthroughs of Baldur's Gate Saga. I guess I need something more than just constant combat to get me entertained in my RPG.
IMO Baldur's Gate strikes a nice balance between a story and gameplay. But I guess that's just me.

>> No.5347494

>>5347156
Well yeah, just overwrite the sound files
gl hf

>> No.5347503

>>5347440
Hey man, I'm trying to play a game about being a tree-hugging elf in a high-fantasy world, killing shit with sharp bars of steel. I don't know shit about computers.

>>5347494
Hey now. Overriding portraits takes knowing a specific filename format and putting them in the Override folder. I have to imagine overriding the soundsets takes at least that much. And I don't have any idea how to give them subtitles.

>> No.5347518

>>5346443
Just beacuse I'm not an asshole:
You simply extract the mod zip files onto your BG game directory. There should be a new folder and a Setup_modname.bat created. Then you literally click on the setup file, and the Weidu installer guides your modding proccess from there. It's literally "press 1 to install this component, press 2 to install this component and so on". It even tells you if you fucked up something and why.

>> No.5347519

>>5347503
There's a mod that adds all IWD soundsets to BG and vice versa, google it. For the soundsets, each sound file is one dialogue played in a certain situation, so you have potentially dozen of files to replace because bants. Again, gl hf, there is absolutely no good reason to do that, just create a munchkin party and give them whatever soundsets you want.

>> No.5347528

>>5347518
None of that happened. Didn't help that I don't what they mean by "directory". I extracted the files to my desktop, to Black Isle, to Baldur's Gate, to Baldur's Gate's Override folder, every other game's root folder, to every other game's Override folder. Nothing.

The problem was resolved, though. I just downloaded the .exe directly and that worked fine. Sad thing is it didn't even seem to do the two things I was looking for.

>>5347519
I'm not worried about banter. It happens so rarely just because of the way I play I guess. I just want different selection and action sounds.

I guess what I'll do is just load the save up in multiplayer and just create another character to fully replace the one. Sounds like less trouble.

>> No.5347536

>>5347528
>directory
Just the fucking root of you BG2 folder.
>sounds like less trouble
Well yeah, it also avoids you breaking your game altogether. There's just no point overwriting soundsets, I mean if you clearly don't care about the bants why do you even bother editing NPC over creating a munchkin party.

>> No.5347548

>>5347536
>if you clearly don't care about the bants why do you even bother editing NPC over creating a munchkin party.
Trying to use what the game gives me. Also I didn't say I don't care, I said it doesn't happen much.

Everybody's got such a fucking hardon for Xzar and Montaron for some reason, and they seem to have entire sidequests and shit devoted to them.

I was watching a dude play EE yesterday and Xzan's got a Dryad sidequest I've never seen, Kagain has a sidequest I've never seen that ends in a big party battle, Edwin's got some kind of sidequest, shit even Brawnwen has unique dialog with Tranzig I've never seen. Apparently there's a thief chick in Baldur's Gate I've never met.

I tend to roll with Khalid, Imoen, Jaheira, and Kivan, and I guess they're all just vanilla as fuck 'cause there's nothing to see or hear beyond the MC apparently.

Problem is, I don't really go for manic/evil obnoxious fucks, who seem to have the lion's share of the side content.

>> No.5347561

>>5347548
>I was watching a dude play EE yesterday and Xzan's got a Dryad sidequest I've never seen, Kagain has a sidequest I've never seen that ends in a big party battle, Edwin's got some kind of sidequest, shit even Brawnwen has unique dialog with Tranzig I've never seen. Apparently there's a thief chick in Baldur's Gate I've never met.
That's likely to be a part of the BG1 NPC Project and not part of the core game.

>> No.5347563

>>5347561
Well, aside from the thief chick in Baldur's Gate that you never met. That's likely to be Alora, an NPC that is very easy to miss.

>> No.5347568

>>5347561
Speaking of BG 1 NPC Project. I am really disappointed how little content Viconia was given in this mod. It's quite literally two short banters throughout the entire game.
On the other hand Kivan won't shut the fuck up.

>> No.5347574

>>5347561
Yeah, that's what it was. I picked up Unfinished Business thinking that's what it was, but so far I haven't seen anything new. Hopefully NPC Project works on Tutu.

>>5347563
Her too. She's a Halfling, right? The one I was talking about is Skie I think. I have her soundset even but I have no idea where she is except she's apparently a thief in Baldur's Gate and has a quest attached to recruiting her.

>> No.5347607

>>5347548
>manic/evil obnoxious fucks
mod babies and coders?
big think

>> No.5347619

>>5347574
>Hopefully NPC Project works on Tutu.
it does

>> No.5347653

>>5347619
Just installed it and started a new game.

At the risk of outing myself as even more of a brainlet, can someone tell me why the download page (https://www.gibberlings3.net/files/file/908-bg1-npc-project/?do=download)) has three items on it? Different OSs? The Windows readme talks about using a .zip, again, but the last one (Tweaks Anthology) wouldn't work and the .exe seems to have worked fine.

>> No.5347664

>>5347653
Yes - those are different OS versions. If you run Windows bg1npc-v23.3.exe is the one that should interest you. Just launch the .exe and specify the directory in which your Baldur's Gate is installed.
The WeiDU installer should kick in immediately and will lead you through the installation.

>> No.5347685

>>5347664
I guess it's just the language that's confusing me. The readme says "The BG1NPC Project is packaged and installed with WeiDU and is distributed as a self-extracting archive. To install, simply double-click the archive and follow the instructions on screen." When I see "archive" I think .zip/.rar, and Tweaks' readme even talks about using WinRar to unpack the archive, but I guess by "self-extracting" it just means the .exe.

>> No.5348116

Late to this thread but FYI you can "pause" romances by kicking your waifu out of the party but locking them in a room so they can't run up to you and give you the guilt trip. You can go off and adventure for weeks, return, let them out of the room, and when they ask you if you really want them to leave, say no. Hey presto, the game doesn't consider you to have expelled them from the party and the romance is still active.

The locked room trick can also be used to "store" Mazzy in the Copper Coronet so she doesn't fuck off to Trade meet every time you need a reshuffle.

>> No.5348389

Theorycrafting parties and just remembered something

Did EE make it so kensai couldn't use throwing weapons?

>> No.5348451

>>5348389
Ah found it, can't use thrown as kensai with iwdEE

>> No.5348518

>>5348451
RIP kensai dart thrower

>> No.5348528
File: 28 KB, 480x360, tungurknivur.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5348518
yeah
Kit classes should be pretty op in iwd anyway so I won't "fix" that change in iwd.
If I'd play bg2ee and it was changed, I'd possibly correct it.

Thought a halfling kensai would've been a pretty neat thrower thematically

>> No.5348601

How do you pull down Mirror Image? Dispell Magic?
I assume it can eat targeted spells like Breach or Pierce Magic, meaning you can't just ignore it. Or can't it?

>> No.5348613

>>5348518
You can still use it with thrown knives or axes
Kensai throwing Azuredge or K'logarath is legit

>> No.5348624

>>5348601
I think true sight, dispel magic and Find Traps with Detect Illusions work against mirror image

>> No.5348632

>>5346821
Bumping this.

>> No.5348921

>>5348632
From what I've understood, this command was actually introduced by GemRB, so it doesn't work in the original infinty engine. So you have to install GemRB first to get it to work. It is fully compatible with tutu and any other mod but you'll have to do a fresh install, the saves should be compatible without dialog bug if you repeat STRICLY the exact same install order you did the first time.
http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start

>> No.5349012

>>5348921
>you'll have to do a fresh install
Ugh. Thanks but no thanks.
Thanks for the info though.

>> No.5349523

>>5347685
>but I guess by "self-extracting" it just means the .exe.
bingo

>> No.5349545

>Can't do IWD2-style Fighter/Sorc in BGtutu/BG2
Feels bad, man.

>> No.5349579

>>5349545
Why not?
By the way D&D 3.5 works and by how I expect the level spread on that to be (2 Fighter, rest caster), I figure you should be perfectly serviced by a regular dual build.
Granted, you can't legitimately dual into Sorc, but there's a mod or cheat for that.

>> No.5349581

>>5349545
Also, look up Icewind Gate 2.

>> No.5349606

>>5349579
>Why not?
I dunno. It's what I read in the Beamdog forums.
>Granted, you can't legitimately dual into Sorc
If a mod can do it that's ok.
>Icewind Gate 2
Eh, I don't want a full IWD conversion, I just kinda want to run a Fighter-Sorc in BG1-2 to see how it is.

I'm running Tutu with a couple mods, but I don't think anything but EE, or maybe SCS, is going to actually update my loot tables and enemy spell lists to use all the BG2 spells. That's basically the only reason I was interested in a Fighter/Sorc, I usually roll a Fighter/Mage but Sorcs don't have to console in BG2 scrolls.

>> No.5350854
File: 774 KB, 1920x2108, elfbarbs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>crashed as I alt tabbed to post this
meh

>> No.5350904
File: 509 KB, 1920x1080, elfbarbs2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5350854

>> No.5350908

has anylne here actually played AD&D

>> No.5350917

>>5350904
bambalam

>>5350908
not personally, no
ive read through some of the books, but I don't even know anybody who has played it

>> No.5350926

>>5350904
The IWD character portraits are so sexy.

>> No.5350959
File: 333 KB, 1920x1080, elfbarbs3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

it's fun for now, but 6 archer elf barbs won't survive traps I imagine

>> No.5350963

>>5350959
traps aint shit in IWD

im curious why you went with barbarian though, if you're making them focus on bows

>> No.5350974

>>5350963
the move bonus

was thinking of throwing together a quick 6 elf fighter team, but decided to see what more varied archer set ups could be with different classes, but still all elves, with either classic or ee classes.
Thought maybe a team of 6 elf bowmen, where there's 1 stalker, 1 archer, 1 beastmaster, 1 fighter/mage, 1 wizardslayer 1 fighter/thief, then I considered replacing one with a barb and thought the move bonus wouldn't be as neat unless everyone had it.

Chadolas almost died to the orcs in this starting cave btw, drank the starting potion to make sure he didn't die

>> No.5350975

>>5350854
>crashed

you could try the NWN2 Icewind Dale module if you get tired of that clunky ass system. It was quite good.

>> No.5350996

Sell me on IWD, /vr/.
This is the only IE game series that I could never get into. The combat-heavy nature of the game gets kinda stale after a while for me.
I guess I'm more of a storyfag that likes to hang out with companions and waifus.

>> No.5351002

>>5350996
The atmosphere and sense of exploration carries it. It also has way better portraits than the BG series. You can RP waifus just through the portraits.

It's kind of autistic, but the blank-slate nature of IWD is actually great for RP'ing. I once made a party with characters that were some of my friends (and also Mitt Romney, who was a lawful evil cleric).

>> No.5351012

>>5350996
You'll still follow a story and uncover stuff. Your characters are just statblocks though. There's history to that world, and you can get some personal stuff out of the npcs if you choose to talk to them.

It starts in a tavern around a table like many d&d parties, and you can try to make up what kind of characters they are beyond the statblock. Maybe they're different races who all just met there, maybe you just have an elven power couple, maybe a group of 4 dwarves befriended an elf and a human there and they started adventuring.

>> No.5351015

>>5350996
>>5351002
>The atmosphere and sense of exploration carries it
this

just try to immerse yourself and get a boner for exploration and treasure hunting

>> No.5351016

>>5343775
someone please end this fucking thread

>> No.5351039

>>5351016
why?

>> No.5351068

>>5351039
Maybe he's an Elder Scrolls fan or something.

>> No.5351104

A want a new IE game so very badly. Icewind Dale 3 when?

>> No.5351110
File: 373 KB, 1920x1080, kuldahar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Chadolas, Chet, Betty, Stacey, Geeser and Tanner the elven barbarians made it to kuldahar

>> No.5351123

>>5351104
never
unless you make it yourself
this iso-rpg renaissance has proved to be a dud

>>5351110
I can't remember any magical splint mail, just chain mail
arrows and swords are bad against skellies; good luck

>> No.5351130

>>5351104
After playing Kingmaker I would actually kill for a new isometric D&D game set in Forgotten Realms. I would even swallow a 5E system.
Preferably TB, although RTwP would be cool too. Maybe set it in Cormyr or Dalelands - still relatively cool places, yet less overdone than the Sword Coast.
Although, given the complete incoherent, retcon-riddled mess that is 5E Forgotten Realms lore, I have my reservations.

>> No.5351138

>>5351123
I'm also disappointed with the iso-rpg Renaissance. My computer is too shitty to run the Divinity games, Tyranny's writing was godawful (why do the leaders of the most powerful army in existence bicker with each other like high school theater kids?), Pillars of Eternity was too wordy and had boring combat...
I am looking forward to Jeff Vogel's new game, though.

>> No.5351145

>>5351130
the actual BG3 would be great

>>5351138
I have the first divinity; I don't like it at all
if you dont mind guns, robots, and psionics, check out underrail; it's my favorite game

>> No.5351149
File: 82 KB, 677x1019, 4abb47f12234756c514ef9ec67d98ac0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5351138
Check out Pathfinder - Kingmaker. It (used to be) buggy as fuck - most bugs were ironed out by now, though - and loading times are atrocious, but the game itself is really legit and really scratches this Baldur's Gate/IWD itch. And the DLC introduces cute tiefling waifus that you can have a threesome with.

>> No.5351150

>>5351145
I have it, but I never got into it. Maybe it's time to give it another go.

>> No.5351158

>>5351149
It looks like it'll run on my potato, so it's wishlisted. Which DLC has the tiefling waifu?

>> No.5351161

>>5351150
let me just say this, I love BG1/2 and IWD 1/2 to death; they're some of my favorite games

when I first played underrail, I didn't like it much; I sat it aside and left it alone for several months. Then I gave it a 2nd chance and started to see things in it I liked, and now it's my favorite game, period. If you don't like it by the time you do depot A, quit.

>> No.5351167

>>5351158
Wildcards one. It introduces a tiefling race, kineticist class and a new romancable tiefling companion - Kaessi that are in reality two twin sisters - good and cutesy Kalikke and sexy, femme fatale Kanerah. She's hilarious.

>> No.5351170
File: 455 KB, 1920x1080, release.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5351123
One of the more comfortable parts of warriors that aren't pure fighters is that you do get proficient with more different kinds of weapons, but switching weapons makes me lose out on the elven advantage.

I made a dumb and didn't get enough blunt weapon proficiencies with my first pip on levelup though.

I went sword+shield, sword+shield, axe, dagger, sling, crossbow for the first pip with each character.

Betty and Stacey started with 2 pips in shortbow and 2 pips in short swords.
The guys got longbows and longswords as starting proficiencies.

>> No.5351180

So. How's that Imoen romance?

>> No.5351183

>>5351180
terrible, she'll break up with you if you tell her you want kids

>> No.5351185

>>5351183
Dafuck. Even Viconia has a kid with you.
What is this bitches problem?

>> No.5351207
File: 498 KB, 1920x1080, scary.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

spooky sleep trap

>> No.5351216

with the multiple romance mod+imoen romance, how does the game handle bodhi's abduction and the master wraith? pick one of them at random?

>> No.5351221

>>5351216
I think it does actually. That or it glitches out. It seems that Bodhi cannot handle your harem.

My suggestion is - install Romantic Encounters mod that allows you to fuck Bodhi as well - just to make this scene even more awkward.

>> No.5351235

>>5351221
>best way to unfuck the problem is to fuck your way through
god bless bg2 modding

>> No.5351302

Not having a cleric makes recovering hp expensive

>> No.5351306

>>5351302
right? what the fuck was the point of those berries

>> No.5351318

god damnit I think I'm going to reinstall and mod it for the 4th time just because I fucking broke Imoen last time and can't learn my god damn lesson

no it was NOT the romance mod ffs

>> No.5351320

>>5351318
Broken Imoen is the best Imoen. I hope whips and chains were involved.
She likes it rough, you animal.

>> No.5351327

>>5351320
She kept losing her shit and acting like I was removing her from the party forever when we were just walking around and stuff, it was annoying af and she was my only pure mage in the underdark

>> No.5351334

>>5351327
Probably some dialogue cue got fucked in one of her banters. Happens if you install mods in the incorrect order or reinstall/uninstall them on the same save.
I once had Viconia reciting the stats of the Sword of Chaos+2 during her lovetalks. It was cute.

>> No.5351345

>>5351334
I think it was an experimental tweak that's supposed to carry her status over from BG1 to BG2 or something instead of overwriting it actually, and at the time I sort of realized I was doing it wrong but fudged it

I was doing a lot of shit with shadowkeeper too though so it could have been any number of bullshit decisions

>> No.5351371
File: 46 KB, 288x358, 1520586246517.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5351334
>install mods in the incorrect order
How does one know the correct order?

>> No.5351394

>>5351371
essentially try to find a guide and check any notes on what you're installing and formulate an ordered list then ask someone if you fucked up if you're not sure

>> No.5351396

>check google for playable Tiefling mod
>Thread on Beamdog where guy asks for one s entirely derailed by histrionic retards whining about how OP it would be and talking about completely unrelated shit
Forums are such cancer.

So, is there a playable Tiefling mod for BG2/Tutu?

>> No.5351403

>>5351396
Are you fucking retarded? Do you know how OP that would be?

>> No.5351404

>>5351371
From what I recall - usually "big" questpacks like Ascension should go first. Then quest packs, NPCs, SCS, tweaks, fixpacks, graphic mods and you finish it up by biffing the files so the game doesn't lag. It's all needed so that various mods don't overwrite each other and bug out in result. The order may vary though. Honestly, I use Big World Setup nowadays to install the mods in the proper sequence for me, so I don't have to bother with it.

>> No.5351405

>>5350996
It's the best for doing permadeath runs in insane difficulty, since restarting is not that annoying with no excessive story

>> No.5351413

>>5351404
big world really seems like it would cause problems all on it's own to me, given how the state of every mod and their compatibility is continuously changing

>> No.5351429
File: 23 KB, 1588x566, Screenshot_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5351371
>>5351394
>>5351404
here's what I'm going with this time though honestly I'll probably fuck up somewhere in the middle here by adding some shit that's totally unnecessary from the tweakpack

>> No.5351431

I think biggest problem for BG and IWD is that they assume you know ad&d and they assume you know about Forgotten Realms.

FR was quite big in the late 90s, it is having a comeback due to it being 5e's official setting, so deffinetly the dark age of 4th edition FR is gone but still it is relatively unknown.

One could start FR with Baldurs Gate but you were also surrounded by FR fantasy novels, sourcebooks etc back then. It was easy to read about time of troubles in 2000 than in 2019 even after the 5e comeback of FR.

>> No.5351440

>>5351149
Horrid SJW infection all over the game. Just an insult to gaming. Just like having North Koream propaganda bureau making a game.

>> No.5351448

>>5351431
>FR was quite big in the late 90s, it is having a comeback due to it being 5e's official setting, so deffinetly the dark age of 4th edition FR is gone but still it is relatively unknown.

The thing is - 5E FR lore is a mess, that even WotC doesn't give a shit about. It's full of plot-holes, retcons, inconsistencies and overall bullshit. There is no "lore" to speak of. Even the 5e lorebooks contradict themselves - like SCAG and MTOF with everything regarding Corellon and elves. It is a fucking disaster.

WotC nowadays wants to push the idea that "all D&D settings are interchangable". You want Eilistraee in Dragonlance, Lolth in Eberron and Vecna or Raven Queen in FR? - who is now an elven goddess as powerful as Corellon or Lolth - sure, you can do it now.

>> No.5351453

>>5351448
I wonder why there's such a disconnect between each generation even though they like the same things

who teaches them to hate and to react like that?

>> No.5351457

>>5343812
Goddamn these people are mad. I wonder if they hate the Simpsons because of how overplayed the stupid, lazy husband trope is...

Even the damn quote shows how obsessed they are. "Theres a lot of jokes... well not a lot but theres a couple." jesus fucking christ I need some chemotherapy.

>> No.5351459

>>5351457
>implying that men are allowed representation for their grievances in 2019

>> No.5351472

>>5351440
If anything PF:KM is a great example of stories that shit on forced SJW agendas.
Like with Valerie and Amiri - resident "strong independent females" and complete brainlets with egos so fragile that they need constant validation to keep going. And other companions absolutely recognize how much of a moron Valerie is and shit on her constantly.

>> No.5351476

>>5351472
I go through my day to day life constantly challenging and denying validation to people unless they are literally actual children

it's usually pretty funny

>> No.5351492

>>5351476
Doing God's work.

>> No.5351563

>>5343794
>The setting is Forgotten Realms, which, while full of cool stuff, is also fairly generic.
People say this, but I've never heard anyone able to actually give an example of how.

>> No.5351580

>>5351563
It has elves, dwarves, magic and knights. Ergo, generic. Also, something, something, Greenwood's magical realm.

Seriously though, one thing I like about FR - at least the Greenwood-era one - is how well-described and coherent this setting is even with all the powerful magic flying around willy-nilly. You actually can get some good idea of how typical day-to-day life may look like in this world. Especially if you bother to read some decent FR novels.
The setting feels lived-in and there is suprising amount of grey-areas and nuance in it despite being generic at the first glance. There is a reason Eilistraee is a FR-specific deity - Greenwood notoriously hated the idea of "always evil" races.
But yeah - I am kinda biased towards FR.

And too bad WotC as of 5E seems to latch onto the idea that "Forgotten Realms is just a generic fantasy kitchen sink, so everything goes". It leaves off some bad first impressions.

>> No.5351596 [DELETED] 

>>5351457
wtf did I just read

>> No.5351623

>>5351170
well, just put all your best defensive gear on one guy and let him tank while everybody else focus fires the skellies

it's too late for you, but couldn't you make a human barb and dual to cleric? I think you're going to feel the lack of healing/turning soon.

>> No.5351658

>>5351623
skeletons usually died to the first volley from 3 characters
normal weapon immune shadow were a bit scary though the first time.

Can't dual barbarians.
And I ended up wanting specifically to do 6 elven barbarians with bows.

I've been switching around gear a bit, so I don't lose a character to traps. Putting the best gear on the highest hp barbarian, send him/her forward to tank traps.

Found myself 2 shortbows +1 which is nice.
I don't remember if those always dropped in vale of shadow crypts or if I was lucky.

>> No.5351661

>>5351623
>think you're going to feel the lack of healing/turning soon.
oh and I feel it, I had forgotten how you basically get no hp from resting without healers and below 20 con.
Buying heals from the temple is okay but it adds up.

Seems like the shops are all in league, I thought they weren't earlier, like first time I sold 16 shortbows I got 10 for each, I figured the price would change in that shop, but it changed in all of them.

>> No.5351663

>>5351658
>Can't dual barbarians.
are you sure? cuz they're a fighter kit now

>> No.5351683

>>5351663
No I'm not sure, it could've been changed like elf druids, but like elf druids it's not something I'd use.

>> No.5351687

>>5351663
Wait.
What sort of bullshit EE pulled off this time around?

>> No.5351701

OK - what sort of moron at Beamdog came with the "new and improved" way of picking custom portraits?
Instead of extentable list with all the portrait filenames I have in my directory like before, now I have to click through EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. PORTRAIT I have in order to find the one I'm looking for.
Motherfucker, I have 100+ potraits in my IWD custom potrait folder. This shit takes literally forever.

>> No.5351712

>>5351663
>>5351687
barbs and some other kits are bugged so you can't dual with them unless you mod it, this isn't unique to EE or anything

>> No.5351715

>spend 4 hours downloading reinstalling and modding the game and finding an ideal resolution/framerate compromise
>the sun rises and I don't really feel like playing right now anymore
sigh

>> No.5351721

>>5351715
honestly it was just supposed to hold me over until friday when I was gonna start doing lots of cocaine and marathoning all the kingdom hearts games

>> No.5351929

>>5351701
What are you talking about? I remember scrolling through portraits back in 2000.

>> No.5351985

>>5351929
There is no longer a "Custom" button in the portrait selection menu for choosing a custom portrait. Now you have to click through every single portrait you have - official or otherwise - in order to find the one you want to use. Imagine what happens when you have 40 of them. Or 100.

>> No.5352030

>>5351715
>being this much of a faggot
>over a game that came out 20 years ago
God I fucking hate mustards so goddamn much.

>> No.5352053

>>5352030
Don't be so mad, sometimes planning the installation is part of the fun.

>> No.5352056

>>5351448
>>5351453
Problem is when they tried to reform,change FR in 4th edition it really backfired on them. Wotc assumed time moves on, gods die, nations get destroyed, magic changes etc and did quite a bit of changes in FR.

I would say in 5e wotc is not careless but very very conservative it litreally retconned FR back to 3e conditions, destroyed most of 4e revision but it also became quite cosnerative in publsihing anything lore setting related, they dont even have a proper sorucebook and most other settings are there only due to one adventure module

I really think 4e had a bad effect on their psche so they are threading very carefully, which is a shame, i miss the old tsr days where settings and novels were shat on a yearly-monthly basis. Now they even cancelled fr novels

>> No.5352085

>>5352056
On the one hand they seem to be conservative as fuck about 5e.

On the other they retconned pretty much everything regarding elves, tieflings, githyanki and Blood War and it's lore in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes and introduced some new, bizzare lore that doesn't fit any previously established lore. Like Corellon creating elves across the multiverse - doesn't matter if you are an FR elf. Krynn or an Eberron one - you were created by Corellon - you just may have forgotten about it.

Elven FR origin story has been completely set on fire and rewritten from the ground up. And it breaks a shitton of pre-established stuff as a result.
Corellon is now a "non-binary" (and fuck me, WotC loves to bring THAT up over and over again) neglectful parent that hates elves and refuses to let them into Arvandor after death so they are stuck in the cycle of reincarnation until they atone for some bullshit sins, Vhaeraun is a "dutiful son" to Lolth and no longer a twin brother to Eilistraee - who gets continously neglected throughout 5e, Ghaunadaur as an ancient elf that chose the form of a slime and Raven Queen as an elven FR deity almost equal in power to Corellon.
Also, Angharragh is no longer a thing apparently. How does it tie in to previously established lore? I don't know, and neither does WotC.

>> No.5352217

>>5352056
>litreally retconned FR back to 3e conditions
If only they removed dragonborn when they went back to 3e conditions.

>> No.5352360

>>5352217
And tieflings. I don't hate them all too much, I just fucking hate every single player who chooses one.

>> No.5352448

Fuck snow trolls, i run out of acid/fire arrows and yet more of the bastards apoear round every corner

>> No.5352449
File: 1.66 MB, 1920x1080, lelfed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5352492

>>5352448
there are always more trolls anon, you must have an infinite fire within your sword to properly dispose of them.

>> No.5352506

>>5352448
snow trolls, i run out of acid/fire arrows

You only need 1 fire effect when they're on the ground at 0 HP to finish them, normal attacks will down them

>> No.5352554

>>5352492
>>5352506
I forgot my wizard had loads of fireballs and flame arrows memorised, just finished Heart of Winter, that dragon royally kicked my ass several times but i prevailed eventually

>> No.5352568

>>5352449
>go to lich heaven
>"so, how'd you die?"
>"I don't want to talk about it"

>> No.5352673

>>5352360
I hate that modern tieflings look like hellboys.

>> No.5352729

So how does one get into BG modding?

>> No.5352757

>>5352729
literally just google it and browse mod forums

>> No.5352831
File: 2.45 MB, 1920x1080, immunetonormalweapons.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think i'd have +90% hp left on all chars if I didn't have to tank all the traps.

Some more +1 arrows would be nice. I don't wanna use fire arrows now if I can help it.

>> No.5352903

>>5352729
>>5352757
this, also this thread and the previous ones, you'll find pretty much everything you need to get started

>> No.5352950

>>5352831
you're past the hard part now; should all be smooth sailing for you

>> No.5352958

>>5352831
Didn't you just start this last night? You're already in Dorn's Deep?

>> No.5352960

>>5350904
I want that nigress to dominate me.
>>5350926
Agreed. I could never get past Baldur's Gate's LARP-quality portraits, so I replaced them with PaintBG's when playing the game for the first time. But Icewind Dale's are gorgeous.

>> No.5352965

>>5350904
>Intelligence 9
>Wisdom 3

So she mostly spends her day licking batteries and staring directly at the sun, huh?

>> No.5352980

>>5352958
anon, that's the 2nd to last room in kresselacks tomb

>>5352965
anon, you probably know people with those scores in real life
int 9 is like slightly less intelligent than average for a white person, and wis 3 is your girl who went to a libshit college and got woke

>> No.5353014
File: 3.11 MB, 1920x1080, valeofshadowsalmostdone.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5352950
I've had two close calls so far.

magic missile trap brought Chadolas down to 1 hp, I thought he had an okay buffer for health, but no. Money is a problem so I want to be careful wtih chugging potions, but I can't be too frugal with them.
Other time was an orc archer outside of easthaven, also Chadolas, on lvl 1, brought his hp down from 13/15 to 2/15 iirc.
Chadolas was also affected by panic by an undead mage, but since everything else was dead it wasn't a problem, but that could've been a disaster. Couldn't even block him in doorways, he'd just push the other characters to the side.

Decided to go back to town before the aurilite fight, might've taken an extra trip there to bring back more 'valueable' weapons anyway

>> No.5353026

>>5352980
>Kresselack's Tomb
Oh shit, you're right. I got confused because someone made a joke about his elfbarb party killing a lich and I thought it was the one later in the game.
Now I'm just jealous he gets to hear Kresselack's dreamy voice.

>> No.5353028

>>5353014
God, what a beautiful game.

>> No.5353046

>>5353026
naw, the lich was mystos the bonedancer

>> No.5353332
File: 2.56 MB, 1920x1080, dragonseye.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

dragons eye was a pretty long dungeon right?
so long that you usually rest a few times within it?

>> No.5353417

>>5353332
Dragon's Eye is huge. It's five levels deep and you can't even rest on at least one of the levels. And then there's Yxunomei at the end.

>> No.5353535

>>5343775
Maybe video games is not really your medium, pal.

>> No.5353541
File: 105 KB, 640x480, Vale_of_Shadows.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There's a way to play all IWD and Heart of Winter with the original character sprites? I always preffered those over BG2 style.

>> No.5353567
File: 2.43 MB, 1366x768, thisisgonnasuck.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All this talk about IWD made me try the game again. Maybe this time around I'll actually beat the damn thing. I always kept dropping the game halfway through.

Here's the party:
Human fighter (pure, might dual class into a mage/cleric later on)
Dwarf fighter (Dwarven Defender)
Human cleric (Lathander)
Elf druid (...shut up)
Elf rogue (Bounty hunter)
Half-elf wizard

...How much does it suck? I might actually sack the human fighter and get a paladin instead. And swap the elf rogue for a halfling rogue.
Also, why the fuck the default biography of the PCs in IWD:EE is the one from Baldur's Gate II? It Beamdog really this retarded?

>> No.5353572

>>5353567
If you want a strong party dual-class is everything in IWD.
Fighter lvl3/6 -> Druid
Fighter lvl3/6 -> Cleric
Fighter lvl3/6 -> Mage
Ranger -> Cleric
etc.

>> No.5353679

Why has there never been made an Infinity Engine style game, but with real open world gameplay? Are RPG devs retarded?

>> No.5353684

>>5353567
>How much does it suck?
Too many humans, not enough Elves. Multiculti parties are kikery

>> No.5353704

>>5353684
And here I was trying to make my party as diverse as possible. 2,5 humans and 2,5 elves, a token short race and 50% male to female ratio - so nobody feels excluded.

Trust me, it took all my might not to make a party consisting entirely of cute elven waifus.

>> No.5353726

>>5353704
>a party consisting entirely of cute elven waifus
this is pretty much how my current party looks, apart from 2 male elves working as tanks

btw where do you got these custom portraits from? i need more elven waifus

>> No.5353735

>>5353704
Don't listen to >>5353684 , humans are the best due to how strong duals are. ("Multiculti parties are kikery", what does that even mean in the context of IWD? The game encourages you to run mixed due to racial gear...) Elves are good too in general due to stronger archery early game, and archery rocks in IWD.
You ideally want at least one Halfling or Gnome to carry Helm of the Trusted Defender (ideally F/T), but you don't have to have them, it's just a great item to have and the shorty races have great bonuses. Do consider Elf -> Halfling Rogue.
Not sure why would you say "elf druid (shut up)" when Druids are amazing in IWD. Your party is solid, covers everything except for maybe a Bard (Bards are also amazing in IWD).
Pick the classes you enjoy. Having everyone dualled from Fighter is stronger, but you have to have more Humans and IWD isn't so hard that you can't just roll with whatever party and enjoy everyone being in a more specialized role (I enjoy having a degree of limitation on my characters).
Paladin over Fighter is a decent choice due to the Holy Avenger.

>> No.5353736
File: 381 KB, 648x864, 6983872237626cf25ae28bbb0a4ddfe9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5353726
Pretty much all over the net.
Mostly Deviantart:
https://www.deviantart.com/fantasy-npc/gallery/40753232/FEMALE-ELVES-HALF-ELVES-ELADRIN, as well as https://www.deviantart.com/aerenwyn/gallery/
and https://grognard.booru.org and then used BGPyrtraits to convert the pics into the proper S/M/L format.
There aren't enough good female elven portraits in base IWD, imo.

>> No.5353742
File: 70 KB, 592x614, 1476907156815[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5353735
Also really, your party doesn't suck at all. The appeal of IWD is to create a team of characters you would enjoy to see played. If you can create all characters and aren't too sure about powergaming, then at least create characters you would feel attached to and imagine what their camp banter looks like. IWD can be beaten with pretty much any thematic party you can think of.

>> No.5353767

>>5344764
getting btfo this hard should be illegal.

go back to /r9k/ kid

>> No.5353791

>>5353679
Apparently, despite how archaic they look, IE games are hard to make.

>> No.5353802

>>5353791
They are - those hand-drawn painted backgrounds are not gonna make themselves. 2d open worlds often rely on procedurally generated tilesets to create a bunch of maps very quickly - like in Fallout 1/2 or Arcanum.
And you are forced to make a shitton of interconnected maps - beacuse streaming the resources in real time like in Bethesda games to make the open world feel seemless is rather impossible.
Also - open world games are deceptively expensive to make. You need a lot of assets put into the game in order for the world not to feel empty and everything costs money.
Deadfire kinda learned the hard way how difficult it is to pull off the open world game on a limited budget using a hand-drawn backgrounds. It burns through money like a motherfucker. The amount of stuff cut from this game to save money was ridiculous.

>> No.5353836

>>5353679
I mean, you can play Caves of Qud and Dwarf Fortress

20 years from now we'll probably have something like that that isn't stupid at all

>> No.5353839

>>5353802
The question is just why RPG devs decided to turn RPGs into shitty action games instead of using RTwP combat.

I guess Dragon Age Inquisition could have been really good, if the art in this game wouldn't be complete tumblr shit.

>> No.5353850

>>5353839
Beacuse consoles.
That's why. Try playing Baldur's Gate on a controller and not go insane. Devs had to change the formula in order to compete on the console market. The same shit happened with FPS like DOOM. M+KB will always be more precise to a controller so developers had to slow down the game in order to make it playable with a controller. Hence, Halo.

>I guess Dragon Age Inquisition could have been really good, if the art in this game wouldn't be complete tumblr shit.

Trust me, art in DA:I was the least of this shitty game's problems.

>> No.5353856

>>5353839
consoles literally ruined everything. But wait, there's more, fucking mobiles now.

>> No.5353864

you guys are such fucking children all you do is complain as if someone else was supposed to do it for you

nobody deserves anything in this world, you were supposed to give your effort to make something if you had so many ideas and opinions

for fucks sake

>> No.5353869

>>5353864
>you can't criticize something because you can't do it better

One day you'll see how retarded that is

>> No.5353870

>>5353850
>Try playing Baldur's Gate on a controller and not go insane
That's actually what I'm doing, and it's not even bad. The only thing which is kinda annoying is dragging and dropping item from one character to another, because i had to make the cursor kinda slow.
It's just a lot more comfy being able to also play laid back, than playing on my lappy.

But yea, I can see how these games are not perfect for consoles. But still, I would much rather prefer this, than shitty wannabe action gameplay.

>Trust me, art in DA:I was the least of this shitty game's problems.
Maybe, but at least it had some kind of RTwP combat. Shit like The Witcher is way worse imo.

Btw anyone here ever played Dragon Age Origins? Is that game good? It looks interesting.

>> No.5353881

>>5353869
you're not criticizing anything you moron you're repeating the same shit that someone said over 15 years ago, that's not criticism because it's not critical thought, it's a fucking mental illness

>> No.5353890

>>5353850
>Try playing Baldur's Gate on a controller and not go insane
Really?
Left stick = pan
Right stick = cursor
x/o = select/left click
o/x = back/ right click
R2 = pause
R1, L2, L1, triangle, square, touchpad, d-pad = hotkeys
Get real.

>>5353870
>Btw anyone here ever played Dragon Age Origins
DA:O's fucking incredible. Highly recommended. It's kind of cringey with the teenage angst and bad romances, but I feel like that about BG2's romances, so maybe they're actually good and it's just me.
Acting's tight, plot's tight, lore's tight, combat's tight. It's a 9/10 experience for sure.

>> No.5353952

>>5353572
I went all the way to lvl 9 as a fighter before I dualled to druid.
My other 3 dual classes were done way earlier though.

>> No.5353959

>>5353417
yeah it was huge as far as I remember.
Worries me a bit. I only have 7 fire arrows too so I can only kill that many trolls.
No other fire source.

>> No.5353962

>>5353890
>Right stick = cursor
and here's where it falls a part

>> No.5353968

>>5353962
true, i have cursor on left stick, which fits way better

controller is not perfect for these games but it's totally doable and comfy

>> No.5354004

>>5353968
It might be, but try selling it to the average console rpg crowd. Good luck with that.
Personally playing anything with a controller makes me want to shoot myself, so I'll probably never understand what the fuck those weirdos playing on consoles actually want and like. I just wish nobody ever invented this trash so I wouldn't have to discard a metric ton of games because they play like shit with a keyboard and mouse.

>> No.5354071
File: 58 KB, 947x448, insert virgin pc player vs chad console gamer meme here.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5354004
>I'll probably never understand what the fuck those weirdos playing on consoles actually want and like
It isn't hard to understand.
Also I'd like to take a second to point out just how goddamn insufferable you sound.

>> No.5354095

>>5353870
>Btw anyone here ever played Dragon Age Origins? Is that game good? It looks interesting.

it's kinda good but I dropped it quickly. even if I'm gonna get shit for it: NWN 2 is much much better despite its flaws and everything flows quite nicely. at least that's an original D&D 3.5 game while DA is not even actual D&D except for the eyecandy and merging spells with environments.

>> No.5354096

>>5353704
>And here I was trying to make my party as diverse as possible.
I do the same thing. I personally would prefer to be in an all-elf party, but I as the player want a bunch of different toys

>>5353864
all they wanted was attention and you gave it to them

>> No.5354146
File: 1.76 MB, 840x1034, Ice 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

posting my last IWD party

>> No.5354232
File: 1.77 MB, 840x1036, Ice 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

lol, forgot I was doing this

>> No.5354235
File: 1.77 MB, 840x1040, Ice 3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5354240
File: 1.73 MB, 840x1038, Ice 4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5354252
File: 2.26 MB, 3636x1992, anons IWD FF party.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5354337

>>5354235
There's only one item that sets strength in iwd right?
The rest raise strength?

>> No.5354341

>>5354337
oh nvm, gauntlets of elven might + the belt

>> No.5354360

>>5354240
why no portrait?

>> No.5354375

>>5354360
it was the goth elf from IWD2; I made these pics when I moved the saves from one computer to another, but didn't move the portrait file

>> No.5354391

that prices always depend on the charisma of your party leader in iwd is kinda annoying
i alsways have to change my druid bitch as a leader in towns, but then make the fighter become the leader again

pretty stupid mechanic, they should just take the character with the highest charisma out of the group and make him/her talk with merchants no matter if leader or not

>> No.5354394

>>5354391
use one of the formations where your leader is in the middle or the back

>> No.5354404

>>5354391
should depend on the one you approach the merchant with imo

>> No.5354406

>>5354394
you're probably right
that triangle formation actually isn't too bad
but still, i always liked using the T formation

>> No.5354414

>>5354406
Custom formations would be pretty neat.

>> No.5354435

>>5354391
I usually roll a paladin as a party leader.
Kinda solves the issue. But yeah, the idea is quite bizarre. It really should be dependant on the stats of the person that talks to the NPC.

Also, speaking of party diversity - what kind of backstory can you think of for a party consisting of 1 human male fighter with 18 charisma and constitution and 5 female elves (archer, twf rogue. cleric, druid and mage respectively)?

>> No.5354440

>>5354435
>MANNED.com
Director: Solmyr Teken'viir

>> No.5354508

Speaking of playing BG with a pad...
https://gematsu.com/2019/02/baldurs-gate-i-ii-and-siege-of-dragonspear-icewind-dale-planetscape-torment-and-neverwinter-nights-coming-to-consoles-in-2019

>> No.5354510

>>5354508
eugh

>> No.5354518

>>5354510
If they find a way to support custom portraits and soundsets, I'll happily give them my money. My console setup is so much nicer than my desktop.

>> No.5354525

>>5354508
Kill it with fire.
Why the fuck do we need a new expansion for BG2?
>"are four diverse new characters"
And why do I have a sinking feeling that suddenly we'll have a bunch of romancable genderfluid elves/tieflings with "they" pronouns joining the BG2 party?

>> No.5354536

>>5354508
i think that's good
perhaps it will be successfull and other devs start making such games too again

>> No.5354540

>>5354525
i think people just blow this out of proportions
they probably added some sjw shit, but not nearly as much as people act

>> No.5354587

Fuck I just used the Universal Hint System for Planescape because I was stuck on finding Ravel's Maze door. Am I retarded? How was I supposed to know that you should go to the barely visible door in the Festhall where the dormitories which multiple NPCs say are reserved for Sensates? Fuck it's especially infuriating when in fact I had already DONE this whole questchain before in another unfinished playthrough but I just forgot where the maze entrance is.

>> No.5354590

>>5354525
>are four diverse new characters
Valygar, Yoshimo, and all the strong independent womyn weren't diverse enough, of course.
Def gonna be some super gay ones like in Dragonspear.

>> No.5354616

>>5346286
Gygax's conception of elves are not generally Forgotten Realms-tier treehumpers.
That's why he had the whole grey, high and wood elves distinction in Greyhawk/pre-Greyhawk.
And the druids were meant to be very celtic and human-sacrifice neutral types, not treehugging hippies.

>> No.5354647

>>5354616
>Forgotten Realms-tier treehumpers
man
if you dont know anything about the forgotten realms, just dont talk about it

>> No.5354654

>>5351130
I'd rather have Mystara, for all it's mish-mash most of it is a bit more interesting than the generic bits of FR (one or two exceptions for later products aside).
Karameikos alone would make it worth it and FR fags would always have Glantri going for them.
>>5351580
Not to shit overly on FR, there's tons of interesting stuff in there by Greenwood (mainly on forums and early products) that's only insinuated in later editions because some product was shat out by freelancers and became "official canon" that he's contractually obligated to keep to lest he make some bloated SJW fuck like Mearls upset over at Wizards. (iirc Netheril and Undermountain are two good examples that were very different from how they're described, I think Undermountain even ended up using maps that are originally from an Empire of the Petal Throne campaign of Jeff Dees)
That said the FR novels are not good and I read a lot of shit fantasy.

>> No.5354665

>>5354647
yeah yeah muh racial supremacists.
Still in that setting they got their rep for it even if other ones are far more guilty of living up to the trope.

>> No.5354696

>>5354654
>that he's contractually obligated to keep to lest he make some bloated SJW fuck like Mearls upset over at Wizards

Honestly, Crawford is actually much worse of an SJW than Mearls ever was. He's the one that's pushing for "constant LGBT representation" in every D&D book. And he's the one behind sex-changing futa elves
And at this point WotC really don't seem to give a fuck about FR lore. They just seem to be happy doing bare minimum - aka shitting out one module per quarter so they don't use the FR licence.

>> No.5354721
File: 2.20 MB, 1920x1080, icetrolls.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

oh, ice trolls don't regenerate?

I just remembered there being ice trolls here, and assumed they had regeneration

>> No.5354747

>>5354721
I think they have some kind of resistance, but no regen

there is a greater version later on, I think it does

>> No.5354809

how come i don't see any faery races in these games?

is there any mod for icewind dale to be able to play as a faery? i love faeries, they are perfect little thief mages

>> No.5354823
File: 901 KB, 1920x2148, magicischeating.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

magic is scary

>> No.5354840

>>5343812
Do the originals bundled in with the EE have the changed/extra dialogue?

>> No.5354846
File: 42 KB, 335x503, cute fae.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i just want to play as a cute faery
is the mod scene really that bad in these games?

>> No.5354849

>>5354823
???

>> No.5354850

god damn there's a lot of trolls in the second level of dragons eye, I thought I pulled 1 but like 6 of them were charging at me.

Downed one, but at that point they were all on me, flet back to level one, going back to kuldahar and properly resting before lvl2

>> No.5354856

>>5354840
No. The originals are obviously the originals.

>> No.5354857

i think faeries can be a very interesting race

they can evade attacks very good and are very fast, but hardly do any damage and have no HP at all
they are very good at enchanting tho, but also can't carry anything

they should be in every rpg

>> No.5354863

>>5354857
I made some for 3.5

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16479666&postcount=1

they aren't deadly on their own, but they can help

>> No.5354868

>>5354856
Well, I didn't know if they had changed those as well or not, sometimes people use words without respecting their meaning.

>> No.5354869

>>5354850
buy flaming oils

>> No.5354879

>>5354863
awesome, where is the download link?

also what is 3.5? is this only compatible with baldurs gate 3.5 or something?

>> No.5354885

>>5354879
uhhh
dnd

>> No.5354889

>>5354869
maybe
Do they die to 1 of those? I know you only need fire when they're knocked down, but they take more damage from fire too right?
They were hitting my tank guy way too hard, 20 and 16-18 damage on the two hits.
I have 12 flaming oil pots from lvl 1 of dragons eye, and I'm thinking that I'll return and try using those, in kuldahar atm.

I'll have to chug a bunch of stat pots before I go down to level 2 this time since I left the trolls right by the entrance.

>> No.5354893

>>5354885
ah i see, so i's not even a video game?

well, your race cetainly sounds good tho

>> No.5354901

>>5354889
once the trolls are down, even a single point of acid or fire damage will kill them
they stay down for a while, and the oils hit an area about 3 or 4 people wide, so you can kill several trolls at once with a single oil

>> No.5354904

>>5354901
>once the trolls are down, even a single point of acid or fire damage will kill them
Yes I know that.
The problem isn't what to do when they're down.
The problem is getting them down.

>> No.5354921

>>5354904
get them to chase one guy in circles while the rest shoot

>> No.5354961

is there not even a mod to turn a companion from the Find Familiar spell into a fairy?

seriously, what is wrong with the modding community of these games?

>> No.5354967

So, I guess American kids are finally back from school.

>> No.5355023

>>5354921
this is exactly what i always use companions for
people seem to think they are worthless, but they are actually extremely good for baiting enemies

>> No.5355029

where can i get some good spears in bg2?

>> No.5355030

>>5354921
There wasn't any room for that

>> No.5355050

>>5355029
The troll mound in the druid grove has the best spear available before leaving for Spellhold, though it's hardly impressive. After that, your next upgrade requires taking Saemon's boat and killing one of the faction leaders, which you'll use until you've cleared out Watcher's Keep. There aren't many spears in unmodded BG2, unfortunately.

>> No.5355060

>>5355030
so run until there is; you're faster than they are

>>5355029
>>5355050
yep
the first one is useful for anybody, whether they have proficiency with it or not, the second one does some pretty impressive damage

>> No.5355120

can i change ScS options mid-game? or would i have to start a new game

>> No.5355123
File: 870 KB, 1920x2016, trolls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bleh, could find a decent choke so only 2 trolls out of like 8 could attack me.
Used an armor pot for it.
Then...

>> No.5355130
File: 485 KB, 1920x1080, trolls2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5355123
After that I looked in the next "room" the other way and I got like 5 more trolls with beetles and spiders, used the same choke but the other way.
>so run until there is; you're faster than they are
Which would've meant death.

>> No.5355146
File: 459 KB, 1920x1080, trollsandholdperson.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5355130
started clearing the rest of the map, went smooth until talonite priests who also had a lot of trolls with them.
Tried to move back towards a better spot, but one character got held, I didn't get spell interruptions as I needed them, deaths followed, more priests and trolls came and more characters got held

>> No.5355147

>>5355130
>Which would've meant death.
noob

>> No.5355151

>>5355147
No you're an idiot.

>> No.5355162

>>5355151
oooh he mad

look, ya dummy, the next chamber to the left of this one
>>5355123
is big enough for one person to run circles while the others stand in the hallway (where you killed the trolls)
the next chamber to the left of that (which has a bunch more spiders and trolls) is also pretty big

>> No.5355194

>>5355162
>look, ya dummy, the next chamber to the left of this one
>is big enough for one person to run circles
No it isn't.
Not when there are 9 trolls and 4 wraith spiders.

>> No.5355352
File: 123 KB, 256x403, post-2809-1151552354.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are you gonna tell me a story with trollops and fucking plug-tails or not?

>> No.5355385

does any other forgotten realms game pick up on Amuanator?

>> No.5355434

>>5354587
>playing an rpg
>NPCs tell you that you definitely aren't allowed to and shouldn't go somewhere
>okay I guess I won't go there
the absolute state of zoomer narc babies

>> No.5355438

>>5354889
I think the idea is supposed to be that they regenerate other damage but not acid or fire

honestly they shouldn't regenerate ice or electricity either since those would also destroy cells but what the fuck ever man

>> No.5355627

>>5354404
This.

>> No.5355631

>>5353735
In IWD play anything. Whatever you think is fun. You only need to minmax in the NewGame+ hard mode.

>> No.5355648

Anyone have an accurate item list, with locations?

I think I've found an accurate one for the random loot, but not for the non random loot.

>> No.5355940

>>5355631
>NewGame+ hard mode
wait, there is an unlockable hard mode in the game?
how much harder is this than on insane?

>> No.5355943

>>5355352
heh, yer a queer-

>> No.5355952

>>5355648
Sorcerers.net and baldur's gate wiki, as always with these types of question.

>> No.5355956
File: 1.22 MB, 1920x1080, 2019-02-08_2048_2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Where can I find a good axe for kagain in bg1?
He's the only party member without an enchanted weapon right now.

>> No.5356000

>>5355956
...Is Edwin having one of those days again? I swear, this guy has issues.
Also, you can get Battle Axe +1 in Feldepost Inn, BA+2 in Helm and Cloak in NW Baldur's Gate IIRC and BA+3 in Durlag's Tower. As far as I can tell, that's it.
Baldur's Gate 1 doesn't have much in terms of quality axes.

>> No.5356002

>>5355648
Also, Mike's RPG Center - pretty much a go-to place for checking out on items.
http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/index.html

>> No.5356075

When are bards supposed to fall off?
I'm still pulling my weight in Spellhold.

>> No.5356202

In Icewind Dale, does putting points into the skill "2handed fighting style" also make better at bows and staves? I would think so right?

Also, what were they thinking when they gave Beastmasters 2 points in dual wielding from the start, but only let them be able to dual wield fucking clubs? Am I missing smt there? Any other weapon I could dual wield with Beastmasters?

>> No.5356210

Also, does the skill "fighting with shield" also increase the efficiency of using bucklers on archers?

>> No.5356225

>>5355952
>>5356002
Mikesrpgcenter isn't accurate.
Where on sorcerers.net do you find an accurate item list? Looked around a bit and didn't see it.
Baldurs Gate wiki doesn't have that type of information at all as far as I can see, tried searching for several iwd areas, and iwd items.

>> No.5356276

Only 17 strength makes me doubt fighter/thief for halfling.
Sure eventually there's an item that sets it to 18 or 19 and then you can give it further +1s, but that's a long time.
I think I'd rather go dwarf or gnome fighter/Thief unless I specifically want a halfling.

>> No.5356302

>>5356276
Always hitting shit with your tanks is overrated. What's important is avoiding hits, which Halfling dex is great at.

>> No.5356308

>>5356202
Staves, polearms, and two handed swords.

*Also, what were they thinking when they gave Beastmasters 2 points in dual wielding from the start but only let them be able to dual wield fucking clubs?*
That even though Beastmasters are restricted to wooden weapons for balance/flavor reasons they're still a ranger subclass and so still get free dual wielding.

>> No.5356317

>>5356308
>Staves, polearms, and two handed swords.
I see. It's kinda deceptive since bows are technically 2hand weapons too

>> No.5356337

>>5354508
worst timeline

>> No.5356351

>>5356276
dwarf is best because of the con bonus, but the strength isnt a big issue unless you want to be in melee a lot
it'll be high when it matters because you'll use strength potions for tougher fights, then later on you'll get the strength items
halflings will have the highest bonuses to thief skills

>> No.5356379

>>5356351
>dwarf is best because of the con bonus
Only for hp for one of the classes though.
Saving throw bonus caps at 18.

As for thief skills I think the really important ones are find traps and open locks.
And I suppose detect illusions.
Halflings tie Dwarves for find traps because of their racial bonuses and the 2 point lead of dex or halflings.
Halflings are 5 points ahead in open locks.
Then 5 points behind in detect illusions.
So if it's just open locks and find traps the halflings are +5 over dwarves, if detect illusions is taken into account they're equal.

As for gnomes they're 5 behind without taking detect illusions into account, and 5 ahead with taking it into account.
I don't think the thief skills is what really matters here.

melee thac0+damage, ranged thac0, armor class, saving throws are the factors I believe are worth considering.
Perhaps item selection depending on party because of helmet of the trusted defender.
Gnomes lack the death saving throw bonus.
halflings lack melee damage+thac0
dwarves lack 1 AC and ranged thac0.

Halflings also get another ranged thac0, and have the potential to get another bonus to AC with a +1 dex item.
Dwarves also get slightly more hp on fighter levelups and also get the potential to get hp regeneration iwth a +1 con item.

Ideally you'd avoid melee afaik, since dealing damage while not taking damage is obviously great, but the melee options often deal more damage, so when anyone is in melee and taking the risk of damage, it would be preferable to bring more into melee.

>> No.5356387

>>5356379
>so when anyone is in melee and taking the risk of damage, it would be preferable to bring more into melee.
Assuming you're only taking hits from the same numbers of enemies of course.*

>> No.5356393

>>5356379
>Only for hp for one of the classes though.
more for the save bonuses from 19-20 con

as for the skills, I don't think you're factoring in the bonus you get from dex; there's no way dwarves compare to halflings with everything added up

if we're talking IWD then pick halfling and never look back, because
>>5354235
that fucking helmet is godly
but I thought you meant BG

>> No.5356407

>>5356393
>more for the save bonuses from 19-20 con
No it caps at +5 saving throw bonus at 18.
Says +5 shorty saves for con 18-25 everywhere I read.
playithardcore, icewinddale wiki. Is it changed in some EE patch or what?

>as for the skills, I don't think you're factoring n the bonus you get from dex; there's no way dwarves compare to halflings with everything added up
No I am, I mentioned it even.
>because of their racial bonuses and the 2 point lead of dex or halflings.

Dwarves have 15 in Find Traps.
Hallfings have 5 in Find Traps.
Hafllings have 19 dex, dwarves have 17 dex.
18 and 19 dex give you +5 in find traps for each.
5+5+5=15, meaning they're equal with the dwarves in find traps.

>that fucking helmet is godly
Helmet of the trusted defender?
Can be used by gnomes too.
and as mentioned
>Perhaps item selection depending on party because of helmet of the trusted defender.

>> No.5356418
File: 118 KB, 595x269, 1446012307055.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5356407
well, alright

>> No.5356681

>>5356225
Baldur's Gate wiki does' look for articles listing items by category.
As for sorcerers you sure didn't look that hard apparently
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/items/items.php
There's also a complete item list on gamefaq with all console codes for Saud items.

>> No.5356690

Baldur's Gate wiki does, look for articles listing items by category. As for sorcerers you didn't look that hard apparently
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/items/items.php
There's also a complete item list on gamefaq with all console codes for said items.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/faqs/9332

>> No.5356705

>>5356681
I'm looking for icewind dale non random loot.
That's bg2.

>> No.5357245

so I finally took my dagger fighter into BG2 and started playing for real

some things are far easier, given that he's a better fighter than what you'd have at that level (if only barely), while some things are much harder (mage fights, mainly). You have to be much more mindful of consummable use, as in you need to remember to get them and use them before fights, but you have more money to spend on them. BG2 has them in shorter supply than BG1, and some are only available in specific places or not at all.

Since I started the game, I did the circus tent (WAY easier than normal), the slum slavers (had to use specific items to defend from the mages, needed to buy the blade of roses to kill some oozes; harder than normal), tried to go to dearnise keep (THREE ambushes, though all were easy), brought the injured harper back and did xzar's quest (his apprentices were actually dangerous; needed the right items again), then did the keep (trolls were super easy, yuan-ti mage killed me twice before I got smart, umber hulks got close, fought the boss and killed his goons but had to retreat since I couldn't actually kill him, had to go assemble the flail, narrowly avoided the golems three separate times; overall it was actually fairly challenging overall; ran out of health potions). Assumed control of the keep and rested for the first time. Healed at an ilmater temple (done this several times now) then went to fight mencar; wiped the mage almost immediately, but mencar himself got me down to 1 hp at one point, and I finished the fight at 2 hp.

Now I'm starting the maevar quest. I've had 38k gold at one point, and probably 60k total so far. I have many items on standby for when I need them (arbane's short sword, rings of invisibility, aeger's hide [protects from confusion; very dangerous to a solo fighter I'm finding]), as well as potions and protection scrolls.

>> No.5357318
File: 1.04 MB, 824x1274, dagger BG2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]