[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 297 KB, 2000x2005, Castlevania_-_Symphony_of_the_Night_(gamebox).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5336945 No.5336945 [Reply] [Original]

Symphony of the night thread anyone?

>> No.5336985

Friendly PSA to not buy the PS4 version since even if you completely ignore the voice acting change, it's straight up a bad port.

>> No.5336992

It sucks.

>> No.5337002

>>5336985
>Friendly PSA to not buy the PS4 version since even if you completely ignore the voice acting change, it's straight up a bad port.
What's wrong about it?
Isn't it just the PSP version which is actually better than the PS1 western original?
Also original Japanese voice acting with Norio Wakamoto > meme dub by literally whos

>> No.5337008

>>5337002
It is ostensibly supposed to be that version, but it has numerous graphical and audio glitches. The only thing it has on the PS1 version is no frame drops in the inverted castle. Maria's animations are still as lazy as ever, so they didn't fix that either.

>> No.5337020

Has anyone played the Hardtype hack or the No XP hack? How about both together? Which would you recommend for a true challenge?

>> No.5337142
File: 439 KB, 1173x881, sotn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Great game. Some of the design wasn't that thought out but that's okay. To have fun in it now I handicap Alucard or he gets too powerful.

>> No.5337842

>>5336985
Name 17 things objectively wrong with the original voice acting

>> No.5337846

>>5337842
Original you mean the japanese one, or the WHAT IS A MAN meme one?

>> No.5339009

SOTN romhack coming soon
https://youtu.be/5yTbAJUs2Dk

>> No.5339070

>>5339009
>SOTN romhack coming soon
Would something like this work on native hardware, or is this for PC emulation only?

>> No.5339219

>>5339070
It's not even a hack anymore, it's just a fan remake in unity.

>> No.5339254

>>5337002
I agree generally but Alucard's original English voice is so powerful, I prefer him alone to the Japanese.

>> No.5339350

It was a great game. I had a hell of a time explorin BOTH castles and collecting treasure and weapons. That one battle with Count Orlox or whatever that green asshole's name was, was honestly more difficult than the final boss.

It was a good game and I have fond memories playing through.

>> No.5339372

>>5336992
I unironically agree with this.

Recently I've played La Mulana 1 & 2, Super Metroid, Hollow Knight and the Souls series and so I can directly compared SotN to them, having just played through it. Frankly, I consider it a flat out awful game and see nothing positive whatsoever that it contributed to the genre. Exploring the castle is incredibly boring due to how weak most enemies are and how repetitive its design is. There is nothing interesting about going through a copy paste of the same room with almost the same enemies cropping up in the same locations two to four times and having no interesting means of navigation it (dashing and flying being locked behind forms means that each movement ability is basically separate from another physically and can't be fluidly combined like in Metroid). All the crazy anime RPG shit it has just gives you a hundred ways to destroy the same easy enemies.

>> No.5339375

>>5339372
Why would you compare Souls to games that not only are 2D but also have a dedicated jump button? Souls has no platforming elements.
Fucking Banjo Kazooie is more of a 3D metroidvania than Souls is.

>> No.5339393

>>5339375
>Fucking Banjo Kazooie is more of a 3D metroidvania than Souls is
Not the original, but Tooie, yes actually.

>Why would you compare Souls to games that not only are 2D but also have a dedicated jump button?

Because Souls does a better job with level design, RPG mechanics and making combat purposeful and still has certain 'light' item gating (i.e. in addition to keys you can go down to blighttown without shit to deal with poison, New Londo without shit to deal with ghosts, Catacombs without divine weapons, Tomb of Giants without light sources etc. but you're gonna have a really bad time).

>> No.5339753

Recently started this and kinda underwhelmed. It's not bad, and I can see when the only similar games were the Metroids and maybe lttp why so many people liked it. But I agree with everything >>5339372 says.

I'll likely finish it, about 5 hours in and I don't think it's bad, but I'm just not really grabbed by it.

I've been spoiled on the flipped castle and I've heard mixed opinions on how worth doing it is.

>>5339393
Catacombs without divine bullshit fucking rules. I've only played through once but I ended up doing it that way and kicking skeletons off ledges the whole way down, it was awesome. When there aren't ledges you just have to book it with a mob of skeletons chasing after you. So fun, more people should forego divine weaponry.

>> No.5341438

Where to get this game on the cheap?

>> No.5341440

>>5341438
Burn a CD-R nibba
Or just emulate the PSP, like the patricians do.