[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 9 KB, 149x186, download (3).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5330406 No.5330406 [Reply] [Original]

Have you ever tried a game everyone online said was excellent, only to realize it's boring drivel?

>> No.5330417

>>5330406
Yes, I concur. Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale were much better than this game.

>> No.5330734

I never understood the C/Wrpg genre

>> No.5330740
File: 52 KB, 700x515, 1548210782121.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5330406
Yes. Dragon's Dogma and EYE Divine Cybermancy.

Torment had a good story, but the game itself was ass. I played it once and have no desire to play it again.

>> No.5330996

>>5330740
stop making wakes, jian

>> No.5331004
File: 39 KB, 661x245, 1538765890298.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5330406
Beamdog is guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

>> No.5331010

>>5331004
That picture alone gave me cancer

>> No.5331031

>>5330406
Yes. Most Japanese games, really.

>> No.5331069
File: 19 KB, 220x273, 220px-Dxcover[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5330406
I tried.

But it was really hard to take seriously after having played Human Revolution first.

>> No.5331089

>>5330406
I'm a d&d nerd and love the setting. The story and characters are interesting. But holy shit, the gameplay is so fucking atrocious I just can't bring myself to finish it. In fact I doubt I made it through half the game on the numerous attempts I've made. The worst rpg gameplay I can recall. And I've played some absolute steaming shits.

>> No.5331094

>>5330406
>implying

you can have your opinion but objectively speaking it's anything but boring. you just don't like reading.

>> No.5331115

>>5330406
Half life. Its a good game, ok? But Half Life 2 has, and always will be superior.

>> No.5331120

>>5331094
It's literally boring and poorly written.

>> No.5331272

>>5331094
But it's shitty VN on par with something a high-schoolers enjoy to read. It's poorly written, paceless and you just scroll through endless descriptions that unfortunately add nothing and serve no purpose other than failed attempt at building atmosphere.

>> No.5331413

ITT : look at me I don't like popular thing but can't be bothered to write two words explaining why pls respond

>> No.5331423

>>5331120
>>5331272
I don't get you people. I've been playing Mask of the Betrayer recently too and I think that Avellone and whoever else wrote for these games are certainly gifted in terms of creating good narratives, more so than most other devs because the depth of the plot is usually not the main focus in computer games and shitty hollywood blockbuster narratives prevail moreso than truly intriguing narrative arts within that medium because sales and common keypoint arches are more important to pack everything in they can, no matter how shallow it might turn out to be as long as the gameplay is authentic enough to sell it as a product. That doesn't mean that PS:T's gameplay is totally bad by any means.

>> No.5331480
File: 60 KB, 600x900, gun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5330406
My excitement that I had built up through online hype were dashed to bits when I attempted to suffer through OoT, one of the dullest ARPGs I have ever had the displeasure of playing. Seriously, each episode following the boy "adventurer" and his pals from Hyrule as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the cartoonish imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of repetitive puzzles, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.
Perhaps the die was cast when Nintendo vetoed the idea of a third party producing the games; Miyanoto made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody- just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for their annual party games. The Zelda series might be antiSony (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Spyro series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement

>a-at least the platforming elements were good though

"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the exploration was nonexistent. As I played, I noticed that every time Link went to explore a largely empty world, Nintendo shoehorned in some repetitive puzzles to pad out the game. I began marking on the back of a Nintendo Power magazine every time I came to the same rehashed box pushing/lever pulling puzzles. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Nintendo's team is so governed by cliches and milking tired franchises ad nauseum that they have no other style of development. Later I watched a lavish, loving Let's Play of The Ocarina of Time by some YouTube manchild. He said something to the effect of, "If these kids are playing Ocarina of Time at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to owning a Nintendo Switch." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play The Ocarina of Time you are, in fact, trained to play the same dull Nintendo rehashes decade after decade.

>> No.5331557

>>5330740
I was shocked at how awful eye was after the /k and /tg hype

>> No.5331810

>>5331480
All I'll say about OOT is that in it's time the 3d felt revolutionary. It's a mediocre game IMO, but I can understand why it's so loved.

>> No.5331840

>>5330406
All zelda games are overrated. The story, music, and characters are nonexistant/ass. Anyone who played JRPGs first should be severely underwhelmed

Plus 1 to deus ex and op

>> No.5331842

>>5331840
Scratch that. Snes zelda was actually pure kino with the alternate dimension and shiet

>> No.5331847

>>5331842
Yeah, ALTTP is goat and the NES Zeldas were great for their time

>> No.5331849

>>5331557
eye is good if you like euro jank

>> No.5331861

>>5330740
>>5331557

I hate to be that guy but eye genuinely gets good like 10 hours in. It's a rough start and it's hard to justify playing a game that long before it gets enjoyable, but it really is a blast once you get there

The dialog is a mess, the systems are obtuse, the level design isn't anything special, you start out with awful movement speed. But eventually you're warping half way across the map into people making them explode, summoning demons, super jumping with katanas and rifles with explosive ammunition that lights anyone within range on fire. It gets ridiculous

>> No.5331863
File: 2.00 MB, 240x180, 1521114654793.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5331840
>All zelda games are overrated.

As we all know, overrated = I don't like this popular thing.

>> No.5331910

>>5331810
>the 3d felt revolutionary
>came out after MGS.

>> No.5331912

POPULAR GAMES>OBSCURE GARBAGE
COPE.

>> No.5332018

>>5331840
>The story, music, and characters are nonexistant/ass.

"ass" is sometimes just another way to call something "comic relief". that happens more than ever in Zelda games. It's okay if Zelda tries to be cute and/or funny. That's part of what makes the game entertaining.

you can't say story, music and characters are "non-existent" btw. it's just not the truth and it's very silly to even think that.

>> No.5332049

>>5331863
they are overrated, and talked about nonstop, but theres only so much you can talk about. it happens to the point we had a thread about why graphical artifacts were in oot and what if there was a deeper meaning behind floating things in the air that are there only to give more atmosphere. nintoddlers are scraping the bottom of the shit barrel here. you wonder why a lot of nintendo hate is on this board? its because they wont stop discussing the same things and the threads are always on the front page, there is always more than 5 oot thread at a time, all talking about the same things over and over, expecting different results. thats called insanity. then, you guys get butt hurt because people have different/opinions critique the games. its usually good critique, but you always say the same tired ass bullshit about "not liking popular thing." you never have anything worthwhile to say as a counter argument. this is why people here call you nintoddlers and troll you. but youre so fucking stupid you always get assmad. I know youre a newfag, we all know you fucks are newfags. this is why nintendo needs a containment board, because there is nothing left to discuss for the most part. any oot/mm or sm64 discussion is the same fucking thing, it never changes, its all been talked about to death, but you still beat the dead horse as if it will magically create some new content to talk about, it wont. it never will. you fanatics are cancer and youve infected the whole of 4chan/nel, but you call us newfags and try to do stupid reverse psychology bullshit. i know, im seething and obsessed right. so fucking what, youre a fanatic nintoddler dipshit.

>> No.5332131

>>5332049
Honestly this.

>you hate it because it's popular

Isn't a good counter argument.

>> No.5332204
File: 1.60 MB, 350x197, 1524016731259.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5332049
>Being this assmad over the observation that 'overrated' is a meaningless statement.

>> No.5332218
File: 32 KB, 540x496, DataNow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5332204
>still trying to defend and overrated game that has been talked about to death and all you can say is regurgitated talking points

>> No.5332227

>>5330406
Games like planescape are identical to all the other western/CRPG games made by bearded middle aged losers who wish they were Tolkien.