[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 101 KB, 400x400, 1517347439901.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5329353 No.5329353 [Reply] [Original]

All this talk about REmake2 had made me realize I should get off my ass and start playing the RE games. All I know about the actual games are that they have bad voice acting, item fetching puzzles, and that you should avoid enemies as much as possible. I'm going to start with the original Playstation games instead of the remakes since they're the foundation of the series.

What is

>the best version of the original RE and RE2
>who I should start with in RE1 and RE2
>anything else I should know before I start

>> No.5329365

Can't help wit. the first 2, but ALWAYS AVOID THE SOUNDS!

>> No.5329368

Started playing original RE2 last night desu. aside from the tank controls it's pretty solid. Easier puzzles than RE1, music is good, voice acting is decent

>> No.5329369

No biggie. I only started playing them in 2000, a few years after they were released and all hype had died down.

Start with RE1.
Best version of RE1 is Director's Cut. NOT Dual Shock.
Best version of RE2 is Dual Shock or the Dreamcast version. The N64 is nice as a curiosity too. Play it after you finish the PSX/DC version.

You don't actually need to avoid the enemies in the old games. You had enough ammo to kill everything if you don't miss. Except for RE3, where you kind of need that ammo if you want to kill Nemesis instead of just running from him. If that's what you want, it's better to save some ammo.

>> No.5329374

Best versions are the gamecube imo.

I dont like the auto aim of the directors cut versions makes it too easy.

Re1 Jill
Re2 Leon

Aim for the head with the shotgun.

>> No.5329375

>>5329353
Play the PS1 Versions, get the director's cut of 1 but NOT the dualshock version, play as Jill and Claire first, have fun.

>> No.5330249

Does anyone have those old charts that explains differences in each version of the classic resident evil games?

>> No.5330269

>>5330249

Play either PC port or PS1 Director's Cut black label for RE1.
Play Sourcenext PC port with rebirth patch, or the Gamecube version of RE2.
PC port of RE3, DC port through VGA looks great too.

>> No.5330387

>>5329369
nonono (but its a common misconception)

the best version of RE2 is definitely the Sourcenext PC port patched with this:

http://appleofeden.de-doc.com/index.php/downloads/resident-evil-2-classic-rebirth/

>> No.5330476

>>5329368
>aside from the tank controls it's pretty solid
This statement makes no sense since the tank controls are equally solid and perfectly fine

>> No.5331805

Since the only retro RE I hadn't played was 3 and people kept saying it's the best I finally started it yesterday and rushed it blind, beat it just now

Where the hell are the gunpowder C's?
Why is there so much ammo for everything?
Why are the puzzles so braindead?
I liked the game but is was a bit pointless and really easy

>> No.5332747

>>5331805
>Where the hell are the gunpowder C's?

You have to make them.

>Why is there so much ammo for everything?

Probably in case someone wants to waste it all on Nemesis to see what he drops, but that's just my opinion.

>Why are the puzzles so braindead?
>I liked the game but is was a bit pointless and really easy

This is just my interpretation. From what I read, the game was developed as a side project, and wasn't meant to be the real RE3, and so perhaps much of the talent behind the previous games were probably working on Code Veronica or other projects. It's kinda a similar case to Tomb Raider 3.