[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 17 KB, 512x448, neat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
532609 No.532609 [Reply] [Original]

Do you speedrun?

If not, do reconsider.

I just completed Metal Storm in 16:54. It's a bad time --- actually one third away from the world record --- but it doesn't matter, because it was great fun. If you don't believe me, just try it: pick a game you like, a game you're good at or a game that's short and try to get a perfect run. It won't be perfect, it won't probably even be good, but it feels like an accomplishment anyway.

>> No.532634

I do some practice speedruns, but nothing serious.

I have taken to trying to go through Sky Blazer as fast as I can, though. The engine and combat in that game is so smooth that it's begging to be ran.

>> No.532639

I thought about it once.
Then I remembered there's so many great crpgs and other stuff I still haven't played, why should I grind out the same video game over and over again for a better time?
But anyway, if it's fun for you that's cool.

>> No.532692

Sometimes. It's a fun way to challenge yourself when you've beaten a game a billion times already.

I never time myself or anything though, it's just for fun and I don't try to do it to games that take longer than an hour to beat.

>> No.532731

My last Half-Life run was ~90:00, single session. I do one every New Years Eve.

Nowhere near the world record, but then again I do it without savescumming or using jump scripts.

>> No.532752

Personally I don't speed run, but games that I am familiar with sometimes I do something different on a boss to see if I can do something that is more effective to beating them. Sometimes I make a boss easier by doing so, other times it is a big risk and I end up dying.

>> No.532762

>first play - familiarizing with game
>second play - exploring and discovering everything
>third and onwards - always moving along
not hasty speedruns, but trying to not waste time, eg. talking to every NPC or checking every weapon cache or secret area. grab what's needed and keep going

>> No.532782

Super Metroid, any% completion, which I thought was more or less the most popular game for speedrunning. Only takes me about 90 min of real time, so I do it pretty often.

I'm not a bad enough dude to pull off the real advanced shit, the only real exploit I use is the Zeb glitch. But mockball/speedball and some unusual shinesparks are definitely a part of my run.

Anyone else? I'd love to talk about it. For instance I can't figure out how these other guys beat Phantoon so quickly, I've seen him beaten in two fucking cycles.

>> No.533064

The only speedrun i've ever done was on Galerians, 1h47. I don't even know what the record is, likely even under 1h, but it felt really good to me.

>> No.534821

>>533064
I think there is a youtube speedrun of that at 2 hours, so you might have beat it.