[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 373 KB, 800x410, Chrono_Cross_logo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5316773 No.5316773 [Reply] [Original]

So I'm confused about the general consensus of this game. I know I've played it and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's also a visual treat. It's just got so much going for it. But there's seems to be a lot of people who dislike it. I've never actually heard a argument against this game though, just that for whatever reason people were disappointed. What does /vr/ think of this game?

>> No.5316792

>>5316773
Story is whack and characters outside the 2 MCs are shallow, which alienates fans of CT.

But those who like experimental games that are also an audio-visual feast generally praise it.

>> No.5316802

>>5316792
I disagree with the story being "whack" ... I think it is actually pretty cool and coherent, though AU/time travel plots can become convoluted very quickly. The biggest flaw in the game is the amount of characters and the lack of development for them.

>> No.5316815

>consensus
You realize most of us troll and exaggerate our opinions in these threads just to get a ruse out of people, right?

>> No.5316820

>>5316815
Well yeah, but this was an invitation for actual discussion.

>> No.5316821

>>5316792
>Story is whack and characters outside the 2 MCs are shallow,
so it's a jrpg that's unique in having at least one character that isn't shallow? you'd think people would love it then.

>> No.5316857

Like every game, you are going to find people on various sides with various ways of expressing their opinion. Disregard the loudest of them.

>> No.5316894

>>5316773
It's flawed but a really good experience overall. The ways it diverges from the great formula of Chrono Trigger is what turned off a lot of people. Personally the only major complaints I have is a lack of character development, the ending, and it having a separate battle scene.

But seriously what the fuck is that ending. It's like you mend the two deminsions, Schala tells you won't remember it, Surge wakes up on the beach and the first thing he does is asks about his memeories, it shows Kid in a wedding dress, then it shows Kid running through modern day nipland. What actually happened? Sorry for being a brainlet.

>> No.5316902

>>5316894
TV tropes puts it best by literally calling it a "Gainax Ending" and Masato Kato who had previously worked at Gainax. Basically the ultimate what the fuck is happening standard for them.

>> No.5316913

>>5316902
>interested in Masato Kato's past works now before Chrono
>pull up his IMDB
>a whole bunch of 80s JAV

>> No.5317457

>>5316894
Honestly, the entire plot left me kinda cold; it was such a "Fuck YOU humanity!" message that didn't give you any choice in the matter of culpability from the start where you're killing baby lizards to make a fucking necklace to the finish.

It also felt like it outright lied about the Reptites/dragons/dinosaurs/whatever you wanna call them who were kinda evil shits in CT but are given such an odd sympathy in this game especially compared to humanity.

>> No.5317465

>>5316773
>So I'm confused about the general consensus of this game

That's because there is no general consensus. Some love it, others hate it and a lot didn't care much either way. It's a highly contentious game which is one of the things I love about it.

>> No.5317485

>>5317465
I think the one thing everyone agrees on is that the music is excellent; even the people who hate the game itself don't mess with the tunes.

>> No.5317917

It was profoundly beautiful and Kid is best girl

>> No.5318320

>>5316773
>general consensus
>>>/r/
>>>/e/
>>>/d/
>>>/d/
>>>/i/
>>>/t/

>> No.5318332

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Cross.html
Thank me later

>> No.5318363

>>5316902
its not though. The story has a definite conclusion.
You're a fucking normal that because of pure coincidence (in your perspective) gets pulled into all this shit.

>> No.5318943

>>5316773
Extremely disappointing after playing Chrono Trigger. The story is a clusterfuckand there are a billion characters with zero personality because none of them get enough development time. Technically it's a mess also as it's full of slowdown. It also has some of the worst music in existence for a battle theme. It has some nice graphics though i guess.

>> No.5319110

>>5316773
Garbage. Trash. Especially when compared to the original.

>1. Two worlds. Look exactly the same.
>2. 100 chars to give zero fucks about
>3. Story makes little sense and is of minimal importance
>4. Porre is now a nazi esque conquering nation. Robo is now just some cpu chip plugged in. CC didnt rape chrono trigger, it completely ignored and disrespected it. Literally just name swaps.
5. Battle system is completely retarded and useless. Nobody actually manages the fields, and the weak mid strong system is shit retarded and useless.

Literally the only good thing about the game is the title screen.

>> No.5319179

One of my biggest problems with the large roster size is how it gets rid of the uniqueness of characters in battle. I loved how in Chrono Trigger you had all these double and triple techs that drastically changed how you would approach a battle. While they had techs and double techs in Chrono Cross, they were as barebones and hardly any of them. Not to mention that Serge and Kid don't even have a double tech. Honestly I can't even remember if it had triple techs.

>> No.5319270

>>5318320
Leave /i/ out of it.

>> No.5319286

>>5319110
>Especially when compared to the original.
Spotted your mistake right there.

>> No.5319315

It's short, and with stuff like Porre nowhere to be found on the map, it feels like they rushed to complete it, and left stuff out in the process.

>> No.5319549

>>5318943
>zero personality
You meet a random fucker on the street. He doesn't immediately give you a flashback with all his life history, I guess he doesn't have a personality. The whole point of CC is to not follow with normal RPG trends. That's why there's no levels.
Consider it in a parallel universe to other RPGs (which it literally is to chrono trigger)

>> No.5319554
File: 44 KB, 640x480, asswrecker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>holydragonsword
If you were wondering why it's called this it's because:
>The supercomputer controlling him has a robot dragon god from the future of a parallel dimenson split up into 5 elemental dragon robots and locked up. It's using them as batteries but they're able to break free but then the alien that was killed and sent to a dimension that discarded futures go to fuses with some qt and takes control of the combined dragon to fight you because you are alive and dead at the same time.

>> No.5319641

What's the name of Lynx's weapon. I think I read in the official guide it was called the rainbow but no online wiki lists it as that.

>> No.5319708
File: 352 KB, 452x982, Chrono_Cross_-_Lynx.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5319641
You mean his Scythe? I actually don't remember what the name of it was, but I'm pretty sure it's not an obtainable weapon.

>> No.5319713
File: 52 KB, 371x402, 0L1XrDG.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5319554
This game had a ton of badass stuff.

>> No.5319728
File: 52 KB, 300x400, Kid reaching.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They don't make girls like this anymore

>> No.5319824
File: 523 KB, 1000x905, Harle.full.428207.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5319728
True.

>> No.5319910

>>5316773
It's a bad game anon. It has good presentation, and that's about it.

The plot is debateable, but the consensus is that it sucked, if for no other reason than it fucked with CT.

The gameplay is just aweful though. It has that half assed combo system, the element system is interesting in theory, but never needed beyond learning skills, you get fully healed every battle, you end up swimming in money, items, elements and everything else you need. You drop your level cap if you summon, leveling up itself is an ass backwards, retarded affair that's never needed, because every enemy is so goddamned weak...

It personifies every issue to plague PS1 JRPGs. You can like it if you want, but it's still a bad game.

>> No.5320772

>>5316773
BAD
>Kato is usually ok, but in CC he was so full of himself it hurts. Story is Wack, as so eloquently put by other anon
>450.000 Characters means only 03 of them are worth any shit.
>They tried too hard in inovating battle mechanics. The result is either meh or overly complex.
>Summons are way too hard and unpratical to use.
>Some characters completely break the immersion of the story, ruinning the mood (that fucking gay dog, a literal piece of stick with a nail, skelly the clown..etc)
>Bullshit ending

Subjective
>No grinding possible. You can never be too strong against the enemies.
>Easy as balls. Even Dario, which was supposed to be the superboss of CC, is actually not that hard.
>Few places to go. Like, cities are Termina, Guldove, Initial village and monster village...doubling it by calling 'another world' does not count.
>No real connection with CT. It ruins the possibility of a great story being told in chapters.
>Serge's weapon is either gay or dumb
>Weapon and armor forging is retarded

GOOD
>Elder god tier music.
>Superb graphics that aged like wine.
>Effective atmosphere building.
>Glenn should be Main Character
>Comfy as balls

>> No.5321448

>>5320772
>>Weapon and armor forging is retarded
This is something that needs to done away with for most games. It's literally a plague honestly. Getting materials is always such a pain in the ass, it basically adds nothing to the gameplay.

>> No.5321949
File: 79 KB, 520x694, CG_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Triggerniggers hate it, anyone else sees its true genius.