[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 517 KB, 1600x1200, infinity engine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5303875 No.5303875 [Reply] [Original]

Because too much time without a Baldur's Gate thread up ensures that five or six will post simultaneously.

>> No.5304126

I want to run a modded BG trilogy Insane run with a middle-of-the-pack power character in a well-balanced party.

Was thinking Jester, Undead Hunter, some less-than-optimal Mage specialization, pure Fighter, Stalker... Mage/Thief multiclass was tempting, but I am already planning on reminding myself of Jan.

>> No.5304189

OFFICIAL BG2 NPC TIER LIST

TOP TIER
Anomen - Fighter dualed to cleric, meaning more hitpoints and more proficiencies. With Flail of Ages and cleric spells he's an absolute beast. Completely underrated because people don't like his personality.
Korgan - Best pure fighter. Shorty saves. Berserker ability. Slightly annoying.
Mazzy - Second best fighter. Shorty saves. Phenomenal from the moment you pick her up. Stick a short bow in her hand and she'll be destroying niggas immediately. Great innate abilities. Also deliciously voiced.

HIGH TIER
Keldorn - Don't like to use him from a roleplaying perspective. But once he gets his hands on Carsomyr wizard fights tend to be cake-walks. Also, people who dislike Anomen seem to think Keldorn is some kind of stand up guy. He isn't. He's a shitbag. Tries to kill Viconia for the "crime" of being a drow. And yet thinks the chaotic evil, mass murdering Korgan is a top lad. And wants to have his wife executed. Cunt.
Edwin - Probably the best mage. Not sure if the extra couple of spells make him as godly as people like to think. After all he loses a school of magic.

MID TIER
Nalia - Decent thieving skills, able to open most locks and disable most traps. Levels up fairly quickly as a mage.
Imoen - see Nalia. Pretty much the same.
Jan Jansen - Useful. Funny. That's about it.
Jaheira - Insects and iron skins make her useful. But goddamn, her voice and personality is awful.
Viconia - Needs to be carried at first and micro managed due to horrible constitution. But once her magic resistance is up, she's pretty good.

(cont.)

>> No.5304190

>>5303875
can't remember a bg-thread in last couple of days tbqhfam

>> No.5304192

>>5304189

Yoshimo - Good traps and decent thieving skills. Poor in combat.
Aerie - Poor until ToB. Multiclass means many spells are ineffective due to low mage level, and healing is lower due to low cleric level. Never been this kind of juggernaut people like to pretend.
Valygar - Fairly poor. Borderline shit tier.
Cernd - Werewolf ability not impressive. Druid limits him to poor weapons and armor. But summons, insects, and iron skins make him decent.

SHIT TIER
Minsc - Let's face it, he's shit. Can only specialize in weapons. His spells are low level garbage. Berserker ability makes him attack your party.
Haer'Dalis - Jack of all trades. Master of none. Which in BG2 simply doesn't cut it. His spins pin him to the spot. Useless. Possibly more annoying than Minsc.

>> No.5304226

*clears throat*
AHEM
Does anyone know if the Beamdog version is worth getting?

>> No.5304278
File: 39 KB, 661x245, beamniggers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones:

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

>> No.5304289

>>5304189
Disagreed with multiple points in this tier list and I'd like to address them in a nice discussion.
The top tier cannot function without arcane casters. Simply cannot - they're the best, most versatile characters in the game, and the metagame of multiple mods will assume your reliance on arcane firepower, control.
Furthermore, Anomen as a top tier character is a sketchy choice simply because advancing in Cleric is not really one of the best things you can do in this game - he's a solid Fighter, yes, but he cannot equip a lot of great fighter weapons, many of the blunts are somewhat superficial (Crom makes no sense on a character who buffs himself up to 25 on a dime), and past level 14 Cleric really doesn't keep on getting any new things.
Mazzy is great, but she's just - and also more than that - a single-classed Fighter. However, she's not exactly in the way, and you are encouraged to get her early if you want to have a say in her proficiencies. She is really versatile - IF you get her early.
Anyway, I could write a lot about why I don't think Anomen doesn't belong in the toppest of top tiers -regardless- of his personality, but I'm ready to write a lot, so I'll try to present my views on the others first.
Keldorn's view on Viconia is contentious, but let's remember that Viconia still submits to an objectively evil goddess - Shar. We can go back and forth about this, but I don't think Keldorn is motivated by racism. He, after all, is also a mentor character to multiple characters - including Anomen.
As for Edwin, his position in a high tier is well-deserved - but he also doesn't necessarily deserve to be a tier above other mages. Very few circumstances actually don't allow you to rest all the time, although the high-level spellslots are still useful the moment you get them. It might very well be a question of playstyle.
(cont.)

>> No.5304328

>>5303875
Which versions of these games EXACTLY are the ones that you want to play nowadays? I already know to avoid the "Enhanced Editions" of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.

>> No.5304340

>>5304278
So is this the harry potter pasta of /vr/?

>> No.5304349

>>5304340
Just report him.

>> No.5304390

>>5304189
Anyway, let's go to Mid Tier.
Nalia, I think, as an arcanist, deserves to be way above mid-tier. "Levels up fairly quickly as a mage" makes me think that the tier-list maker falls into a similar pitfall as many other players who confuse dual- with multi-classing, because Nalia levels exactly as fast as Edwin and this is not worth pointing out. What's worth pointing out, however, is that Nalia has a genuinely underrated personal ring item; this makes her potentially somewhat stronger than Imoen. Otherwise, though, yeah, they're the same - but they should be Top Tier or high-High Tier.
Jan Jansen as merely "useful and funny" is another mistake and he deserves high tier. Top tier might be hesitant due to lack of powerful necromantic spells, but Mage/Thief is so versatile and powerful it's not funny, and Adventurewear is an amazing piece of gear, providing damage resistance that stacks with other sources. It's often stolen by UAI Thieves, in fact.
Viconia being in mid-tier while Anomen is in top-tier is just weird to me. So is Yoshimo as a mid-tier because.
Aerie isn't poor until ToB. Even while low-level, she's one of the best shapeshifting characters due to C/M combos (and that's a valid playstyle), her Minor Sequencer (and up) combos keep her afloat, she can wear a helmet (safer from crits) and she generally has no trouble staying alive while contributing. And she's an arcanist - and arcanists have absolutely no business anywhere in Mid Tier.

>> No.5304392
File: 81 KB, 876x389, fuck your childhood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5304349
t. Amber Scott

Like it or not, the copypasta is on thread and discusses Baldur's Gate. Your sensibilities being offended doesn't make it suddenly a rules violation.

>> No.5304398

>>5304192
>>5304289
>>5304390
Valygar as fairly poor/borderline shit-tier is weird to me. He can be your Katana/Scimitar bearer; he's a strong DPR-dealer with dual-wielding and the early +1 APR weapons, and he can open the fight with a strong backstab. The minor buffs he gets ensure he can actually be fairly tanky - late-game Valygar (or Minsc) with Armor of Faith, Defender of Easthaven and Hardiness is very tanky. Val also gets Minor Spell Deflection, which is a very useful buff, stopping multiple powerful spells, including AoEs, further increasing his viability in battle.
Being reduced to mere specializtaion in combat is not a problem - Rangers and Paladins still have no problems hitting anything with their regular THAC0 progression and vanilla BG2 that wasn't coded with True Grandmastery fixes (like in Fixpack / EE) makes Grandmastery a moot point. Now granted, in BG2 Grandmasters really will outedge other characters in damage-dealing capability over-time - but not only do Valygar and Minsc have ways to compensate, they are also never as painfully bad at combat as these tier-lists would make you think. It's, in my opinion, an overstatement; they're servicable Warriors that fill multiple useful niches.
Minsc is among the weaker martials, but he doesn't deserve "shit-tier" because he's still servicable with exceptional strength (VERY convenient when dealing with mooks, and he still can use typical Warrior-means of buffing his stats), Berserk attacking your pals is less of an issue if you simply don't place him adjacent to your pals (which works with certain playstyles, plus he gets stronger during the rage). Minsc is... servicable. Not the best, not the worst. I appreciate his ability to switch up to any weapon style on a whim - I use him with a shield, with a two-hander, and with a bow, and he has pips to do it all. I also like the bugger.

>> No.5304416

>>5304192
I omitted Cernd, but he deserves distinction over Jaheira for one reason - MUCH easier time clearing the massive 14->15 level XP gap that Druids are cursed with. Shapeshifter kit doesn't matter and low stats don't matter - druid spells are great and are, consequently, nerfed heavily in SCS - where they still remain powerful weapons and a druid is welcome in any party solely due to how useful Nature's Beauty, Insect Plague, Call Woodland Beings and other summons are.
Cernd could very well be high-tier due to the sheer amount of stuff he can do with just these few spells. So can Jaheira, but she's more of a late-bloomer with a MASSIVE payoff, potentially out-tanking any other NPC in the game.
Lastly - Haer'dalis' tier is vastly underrating him. Bards are a powerful, resourceful class. He can fulfill multiple niches in combat, he advances very fast, has Tiefling resistances and cheats weapon specialization in solid weapons, Offensive Spin is terrific, Blade works great with Tenser's, self-buffed Bards are great at tanking and DPSing, and later, Time Traps, UAI and Improved Bard Song make him a contender in many more ways.

Overall, I think the list is somewhat of a mess - I don't want to shit on the effort, but in some cases a "top tier" character is stated as "underrated in spite of their bad personality" while other characters lose points from having weak personalities. It's not very clear. I think that a tier-list of this sort should be powergaming oriented, as personality is up to taste.

That said, I think a lot of it comes down to playstyle. My postulate would be that there exists no such thing as a "shit-tier" NPC in the vanilla game. They're all useful. There are some obvious hard-hitters that apply to pretty much any party and can suit any playstyle (Edwin and Korgan) while there are some that require more work or a different approach. I'm open to discussing this, though. Thanks for the effort writing your thoughts out.

>> No.5304430

>>5304192
>Aerie - Poor until ToB. Multiclass means many spells are ineffective due to low mage level, and healing is lower due to low cleric level. Never been this kind of juggernaut people like to pretend.
I'd also like to note that people aren't merely pretending that Aerie can reach extremely high power-levels and her unique versatility has certainly not been invented. Her power has been straight up documented before.

Also, the argument that her healing spells are never gonna be good is, in my opinion, coming from an insufficient idea of what Clerics are supposed to bring to the table - especially since very few (only Mass Cure?) spells actually scale off of your Cleric level. Everything is just fixed health points. Healing is also, usually, a waste of an action due to long casting time and there being better alternative sources of dealing with HP damage (one of the better ones in BG2 is to simply... not get hit. But aside from that, RoR full heals, potions of extra healing and others are much better for this purpose).

What Aerie can do is mix Clerical Sequencer spells for powerful openers (Doom+Glitterdust/Web in a Minor Sequencer, DUHM in a Minor Sequencer (+ Polymorph Self), mixing Cleric and Mage buffs to be untouchable and unkillable.
Aerie is a powerful toolbox, and her lower-level scaling on spells is mainly an issue if you like blasting. But Aerie also has plenty of blasting at her behest - she can place Holy Smites in a Sequencer for a powerful party-friendly nuke (if you're Good), for one thing. She's no slouch in any department even before ToB.

Of course, Aerie blooms fastest in smaller parties, but even in a 6-man party she is capable of contributing.

It's also worth noting that pure Mages in BG2 are going to be gated by the storyline in terms of available spells as there generally aren't many high-level scrolls until Underdark. If you do all the Athkatla shit in Chapter 2, Aerie's lower levelling speed is much, much less of an issue.

>> No.5304521
File: 127 KB, 210x330, Jan_Jansen_NJAN_Portrait_BG2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anomen: 'Tis truly an adventure for the weak-willed. I've fought campaigns against the Hillgnasher giants, and slew twenty of the foul beasts.

Jan: Did I ever tell you the tale of the Lobotomized Orc, my good knight Anomen?

A: You have not and I've no wish to hear it.

J: Well anyway, as a child my mammy would give us kids a bowl of gravel, which was all we could afford, and tell us this parable. Now listen, knighty, lest you be eating gravel. Twas once a heavily brained damaged Orc named Ano. Ano was trudging though the forest one day, looking for bull droppings with which he could stuff his mattress, when he happened across a remarkable scene. A brave and noble knight, Jen the Brilliant by name, fought with an evil giant. Ano watched as Jan slew the giant. Then the knight had ridden off to save several small children from a wicked witch, also known as a nobleman, who was attempting to poison the poor dears. Regardless, Ano promptly cut the head off of the fallen giant and ran home to his home in the Dung Orc village and claimed that he had killed the monster.

A: I warn you, gnome. Cease your prattling immediately!

J: Did I tell you that Ano had a nasty habit of interrupting folk? Anyway, the giant's brother heard of his siblings demise and the subsequent display of his head in Dung Town. He caught up to Ano, who was stupidly stuffing his mattress with bull dung, and returned to his cave with the orc stuffed through his belt. As punishment for his brother's supposed murderer, he tied a porcupine with the orcs head and proceeded to clean his latrine with the makeshift orc brush. Much to the giant's dismay, Ano actually enjoyed it. Fascinating tale, that! I love to tell it!

A: I'll suffer no insults from you, runtish one!

J: Calm yourself. There was no insult to you. It was merely a parable told to me by my dear departed mother.

A: I shall not forget this, gnome! Your blood shall stain my blade, yet!

J: Whenever you wish to try it, Ano.

>> No.5304548

>>5304226
If you mod out the new NPCs and replace the movies in BG1, you have a modded BG1. Same with the rest.

Maybe on Android? NPCs are IAP and Dragonshit is separate.

>> No.5304575

I don't always play BG2, but when i do, i'am a Paladin with Carsomyr.
Also:
>Imoen
>Jaheira
>Minsc
>Aerie
>Anomen
Best team.

>> No.5304731

>>5304189
Nice effort and well written post, but really dead wrong on most points.
I mean, arcane casters are simply the best classes in the game. If your companion is not an arcane caster, he is less powerful than one.
Aerie is an invincible powerhouse, hands down. Even if you don't get into polymorph/cloak of sewers/shapechange shenanigans she is better than any npc in the first two tiers in your ranking, same with Jan. They can both deal really good damage in melee with the right gear, have a buttload of utilities and are arcane casters. They also don't need that much xp to be actually functioning, they are powerhouses even before reaching 1 million xp if well built. Aerie can get in melee very early (as soon as she gets something decent to hit with really, she already has cleric buffs available, put a stoneskin on and go), they are versatile as soon as they get level 6 mage spells and only get more insanely broken from there.
Anyone putting these two anywhere else than in top tier hasn't understood their full potential because of their god tier kits.
Edwin is the only one who comes close because he can just cast so many spells, unload alacrities under project image while buffing your entire party.
Pure fighters aren't bad at all but they aren't great either and in any case, if they're not a berserker they don't really have any business in high tier. Keldorn would border on useless if he didn't have his godly dispel and true sight, which any mage or cleric can cast.
As for Anomen, he has 7 mostly useless levels in fighter and is otherwise a pure cleric. If I need a cleric (and I often do), I will always take Viconia or a druid over him. He won't reach 10 apr with the flail of ages, is still a middling fighter and has no other distinct advantage. So for a few apr more than Viconia or Cernd, I would sacrifice an unkillable tank than can reach 100 MR in the underdark or an insect plague spamming machine.
Not worth it.

>> No.5304754

>>5304430
Thanks for your replies. Now if I understand you correctly, your rankings are:
Arcane casters - Top tier
Everyone else - High tier
But you're correct about Nalia and Imoen, I should have put them higher. The "levels up fast" was a reference them being dual classed thief/mage and not multi classed which makes leveling take forever, at least if you run a 5-6 man team which is what I do most of the time. I'm not interested in power gaming, exploits, or autism level micromanagement. I just wanna have fun. And I want my npc's to be useful now, not after the underdark or something like that. Which is why shit like kensai 13 dual to mage feels absolutely retarded to me. For the vast majority of the game you're a burden. You're a quadriplegic being pushed in a wheelchair and parked in the corner during fights where you might fire your two magic missiles. If you've not already spent them. Fun.

I put Mazzy in the top tier because she's awesome from day one all the way through ToB. With the Tuigan and then the Gesen bow she is like a machine gunner in the back. And you don't need to micro manage her. At all. And if someone gets through to her, shorty saves, which I believe are more important than resistances which don't seem to work correctly half the time and are extremely important in the magic heavy ToB.

As for Keldorn not being racist. Viconia and him have been in the party for a while and proven a reliable ally, at least to charname, if not even in a romance with him. She's probably healed Keldorn a good number of times. She's not evil of the KILL CHILDREN MUHAHA variety. At worst she's rude and selfish. But no, out of nowhere Keldorn starts threatening her. And later attacks her. Just because of her race. If I remember correctly, if you have him in your party when you first enter the Government district, he's fine with a lynch mob, worshipers of CE Beshaba, unlawfully burning her at the stake. Some paladin he is.

>> No.5304757

>>5304731
>As for Anomen, he has 7 mostly useless levels in fighter and is otherwise a pure cleric
Anon, I was the one who first vehemently disagreed with him, but Fighter->X duals are generally among the most powerful for a reason. Access to Grandmastery, Fighter HP for a sizable chunk of levels, and much better THAC0 and APR on a class that's otherwise locked to 1 APR are great boons.
For example, Anomen makes a really terrific ranged attacker among NPCs, can outdps Gesen Mazzy with a Sling when buffed to 25 Strength. Very versatile.
Aside from that I mostly agree, but I take some issue with takes like "Keldorn would be mostly useless if it weren't..." - he's still a full-blown martial with access to weaponry that dispels on hit and many other boons.
But nice effort and well-written post as well.

>> No.5304767

>>5304731
your opinion is wrong and your shit's all retarded

>> No.5304786

>>5304754
>Which is why shit like kensai 13 dual to mage feels absolutely retarded to me
Luckily for you the most popular camp nowadays says that levelling up to 13 on your Fighter class is a waste of time in a party-setup because the increase is miniscule and that Berserker is a better class to dual with mage.

I understand what you mean though. I think your point of view is very, very much valid. I agree about Mazzy being a terrific, all-rounder NPC.
>Thanks for your replies. Now if I understand you correctly, your rankings are:
>Arcane casters - Top tier
>Everyone else - High tier
In a nutshell, I suppose I could agree with that. However, given the amount of verisimilitude offered by various team comps and accounting for playstyles, I think that tiering is a highly subjective matter and it's hard to make a tier list that will satisfy everyone. I'm also perfectly willing to acknowledge Korgan and Mazzy being generally a much better spot in most parties than, say, Minsc, but I also wouldn't delegate any NPC to their own shit tier.
I just figure that for most powergaming purposes, you need to sort out your arcane side first. All the arcanists in the game (including Jan, whom I think you underrated) have very useful and interesting niches on top of being generally really powerful. Arcane casters are about the only thing I would say most parties and playstyles can always use more of - even melee-focused hack'n'slashers (barring a variant where you're deliberately going with no mages)

>> No.5304798

>>5304754
I think I already argued with you, no one cares about dualing at 13 and no one does it aside from 3 people somewhere deep on the bioware forums. It has also nothing to do with the point at hand. Multiclasses are not quadriplegic before the Underdark or whatever you're on about, I'm not talking about late game anywhere in my post. They're only a burden if you have no idea what to do with them, give them some gear to and stop using them as support mages and they suddenly reveal their potential at 400 000 xp. They're only quadriplegic if you use them to cast magic missiles when they could be smashing stuff and buffing themselves.
It has also nothing to do with autism and power gaming too so kindly fuck off with that shit.
>>5304757
Fighter dual are great with anything other than cleric imo, cleric have great thac0 already, multiclassing them to get full fighter bonuses is worth it, but dualing them to only get a few more apr is pretty meh imo. Better than pure cleric, sure, but not really better than druid and definitely not better than pure cleric with 100 MR 8 would say.

>> No.5304926

>>5304798
I honestly think that while the MR is a great boon in SCS and similar setups, it's not completely irreplacable (I mean, I think you don't have the highest opinion of Keldorn either and he is literally capable of wielding a sword that, depending on the setup, either sets his MR to 50% - already a respectable amount - or blows it into the stratosphere beyond that point), and that's why I think Anomen can have a spot over Viconia. I think we might have had a discussion in another thread about Holy Smite and other stuff, too. I value the APR / HP / Thac0 / Damage from the fighter package much more than you do, it seems.
I don't think it's an issue of one being strictly superior over other, but of playstyles. Truth be told, I also put divine casters on a somewhat low priority in my ideal "power" setup. They're fun to play, though!

>> No.5304945

These fucking walls of text in this thread, Jesus Christ.

>>5303875
I really like these menu screens. Too bad Icewind Dale II isn't in the OP, it's my favourite.

>> No.5304957

>>5304945
You can just hide the posts, we just like tinkering with the game mechanics and it's all in good fun.

>> No.5304994

What's the correct way to play tales of the sword coast?
Complete vanilla, then start from the provided save, or should I go through it all to begin with?

>> No.5305038

>>5304994
>start from the provided save
That's a custom party dude. No point in doing that. It's just to show it off for people who completed vanilla BG1 and didn't want to start anew just to see the new stuff.
Tales of the Sword Coast is just bonus "DLC-style" content you can visit with your party anytime. And you can't visit it once you kill final boss.
Areas can be visited pretty much whenever. Ulgoth's Beard can be visited really early if you want to vendor some decent items. The areas within the expansion are mostly end-game, so for comfort as a first-timer just be like level 6-7 across the board.

>> No.5305292

>>5304575
Nah. Clearly best party goes:
>Imoen
>Jaheira
>Minsc
>Viconia
>Edwin

Team BG1 ftw

>> No.5305403

I've never made an avenger or a lycantrophe.

How does shapeshifting work?
Do items override stats from the shapeshift? So Crom Faeyr would keep the werewolf at 25 strength?
Read something about offhand increasing attacks per round while in shapeshifted form and affecting the damage type.

>May shapeshift into the werewolf form once per day for every 2 levels (starts at 1st level with one use). At 13th level, gains the ability to change into a greater werewolf once per day.
Do you only ever get 1 greater werewolf change per day, even when you're level 30? While your normal werewolf casts per day keep adding up?

>> No.5305653

>>5305403
If you are going for these classes, i'd recommend using the tweaks anthology with the shapeshitfer rebalancing component, which makes the class actually usable.
Basically, shapeshitfting ability adds a token to your inventory. Equip and unequip at will this token in your main hand weapon slot to switch between werewolf shape and human shape. Having it as a token allows you to switch shapes at will while still being able to perform an action on the same round (casting, attacking at full apr count, using potions, etc...).
What this means is that your bonuses from your main hand weapon will be lost but, contrary to shapechange and polymorph, which alter your stats even if you have items putting them at a higher level, druid shapeshifting will only increase your stats, never decrease them.
You can also of course still use belm (scimitar) in your off hand to get more APR per round (the token only prevents you from using your main hand), but druid item restrictions will prevent you from using Crom Faeyr in any case, so girdles of giant strenght are your best bet for a good strenght level.
Number of available shapeshift also isn't a problem with the tokens, with this redesigned component they last until you rest iirc.
If you want to try it quickly before a full run, get Cernd in ToB and fuck around for a bit with his spells, abilities and gear, you'll surely find plenty of useful tricks.

>> No.5305720

>>5305653
>apr per round
yeah. sorry about that.
>>5304926
Yeah we already had a similar debate with a slightly different angle lol
but as far as MR goes Keldorn is less useful than viconia because he might get to 80MR in SoA but he can stilll only be an additional DPS and on-demand dispel if there is no spell immunity + pfmw around. Still great and useful no matter what.
But 90-100MR Viconia can really save your ass though. The only thing that will get her is a x3 lower resistance spell trigger, and I figured out recently that it apparently won't get through a shield of the archons (finally have a use for that). She is still vulnerable to elemental and physical damage but both of those can be greatly limited with a helm of defense, defender of easthaven, and a 1 casting time armor of faith. So even if she gets breached and dispelled, she can tank like any other martial but she still has her MR (potions get dispelled).
Most important is, naturally immune to all status effects aside from dragon fear and fighter stun, she can save the ass of your disintegrating party when a fight goes to shit, great in low/no reload. Heal, res and status effect protections or removal have a way higher chance of success when there is no risk for your cleric to suffer from the same status effect as the one he's trying to save. A fully protected Aerie can do the same, but you can now save the spell slots of the c/m for offensive action (which is really fun to play).
But it's tough to get her to a full 100MR in the first place in this setting.
It requires an early confrontation with a certain demilich, but nobody says she has to be there when it happens. Mages protected from undead, spell immunity abjuration and an enraged expendable Korgan should ensure that things go as smoothly as possible and that nobody gets permakilled.

>> No.5305752

>>5304786
dualing with mage is dumb, just be pure mage from the start and never stop.

Now Kensai dualed to thief at 9 or 13, that's a good time. quarterstaff is op

>> No.5305774

>>5305752
dual any fighter or thief class to mage at 9, they'll lose respectively 250,000 or 110,000 xp to their mage kit in the long run which is nothing. They of course have to complete BG1 with their original class, but at the start of BG2 they'll catch up in a quest or two, if you don't just write enough scrolls to not even bother with that.
They'll miss on the very last level of mage and gain HP, thac0, proficiency points, less restrictive item restrictions, great backstabbing if you put your points right, etc...
A well made dual class mage (so Imoen and Nalia need not apply) is always better than a full class one, even a specialist honestly. Berserker 9 to mage is among the very top classes in the game, able to cast as many spells as a full class non-specialist mage, deal almost as much physical damage as a full class fighter, and get an impossible to dispel on demand protection from all status effects. Nothing dumb about that.

>> No.5305801

>>5304126
You can also try ironman (only using autosaves and only when the mc dies), having party members permanently killed or leave with their items because you forgot about some conflict or reputation issue and being forced into less optimal choices by circumstances is fun. Better for immersion too than trying to build the perfect not-perfect party.

>> No.5306014

>>5305752
Max mage level isn't at the cap, so you have 125000 experience you could've spent on other classes.
You can also dual class into the specialists mages so you don't even lose out on them.

You could end up being a
>Level 8 Fighter+Level 31 Mage
giving you more hp and more items you can equip
>Level 9 Thief+Level 31 Mage
Giving you slightly more hp, some more items you can equip and maybe you can get a thief skill to a decent level, you'd also have e backstab modifier of 4x
>Level 8 Cleric+Level 31 Mage
Giving you slightly more hp, more items you can equip and 11 priest spells between circle 1-4.

Or you can be a pure mage that gets to level 31.

>> No.5306046

>>5304340
What's the Harry Potter pasta?

>> No.5306065

>>5306014
>You can also dual class into the specialists mages so you don't even lose out on them.
Only in BG1, friend.

>> No.5306074

>>5306065
Oh they removed that in bg2?
I'm mostly familiar with iwd and bg1.

Yeah then it's not obviously better to dual class into mage since you'd lose out on 1 spell per circle.

>> No.5306081

Icewind Dale series is better than the Baldur's Gate series.
Fight me.

>> No.5306091

>>5306074
>Yeah then it's not obviously better to dual class into mage since you'd lose out on 1 spell per circle.
I vehemently believe up to 9 levels in a fighter kit (particularly Berserker) are superb to a mage specialization. Greater survivability, you can use helmets (e.g. Vhailor's Helm way before any mage can actually memorize Simulacrum, plus immunity to crits) and I generally don't miss the bonus spellslots that much because you can pretty much always rest, and even if you play low-rest games there are ways to substitute certain aspects of arcane arsenal (like wands and scrolls).

>>5306081
I thought this for a while as well because Infinity Engine games introduced me to constant tinkering with my party and IWD seemed like a perfect environment for it (especially with superior visuals and soundtrack), but ultimately IWD doesn't have anything like SCS and that means BG is, as of right now, ultimately a richer tactical experience. But IWD is a great series. I actually think, contrary to some opinions, that it wasn't a waste of time for prolific BIS writers to write a dungeon crawler - bulk of stuff in IWD is written in a much more "mature" way than in BG, if that makes sense, and there's plenty of good stuff in IWD, like Kresselack.

>> No.5306141
File: 57 KB, 657x527, 1529851004_1498932705_Crusader.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

tfw started a Moralfag playthrough

>MC as Paladin
>Keldorn
>Nalia

No bullying pls

>> No.5306148

>>5306141
That's actually a lot of fun. One of my favourite things is the Buddy Cop Duo where my main duals Foebane + Purifier (ridiculous survivability thanks to the constant Larloch's Minor Drain stacking, combined with Armor of Faith + Hardiness) and Keldorn gets the Carsomyr. The only small issue is that there's only one Eye of Tyr. Also Nalia is solid. Have fun, anon.

>> No.5306476

>>5306065
I suppose you could still do it then when looking at it closer.
You wouldn't have regained your OG class levels before exporting and importing into baldurs gate 2 though.
You'd at most be a Fighter(8)>Mage(5), Thief(9)>Mage(6), or a Cleric(8)>Mage(6) at the end of bg1 or early bg2, as specialist mage.

>> No.5306705

>Fighter/Cleric -- I prefer to do this one Dual classed, rather than multiclassed. Start with a plain fighter (or Kensai/Berserker/Wizard Slayer) and dual immediately to a Cleric. That way you can pick up 5 * in a weapon proficiency. Better at fighting and just as good at healing... eventually.
Is this true?
I thought you needed to get grandmaster before dual classing and that Anomen was an exception to that rule in bg2.

Is it just bg2?
I think when I had a ranger dual classed into a cleric in iwd, I could only get one pip in weapons, not two like the ranger.

Frustrating looking up how things work in these games since they're so similar with minor variations and too many people play with their various "fixes".

>> No.5306795
File: 2 KB, 124x46, beamniggers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones:

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

>> No.5306847
File: 3 KB, 124x46, b34mn1663r5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

b34md06 15 4 6u1l7y 0f 4 numb3r 0f d1ff3r3n7 cr1m35. h3r3 4r3 7h3 m4j0r 0n35:

1. 7h3 3nh4nc3d 3d1710n5 4r3 3553n714lly 4 c0ll3c710n 0f fr33 m0d5 7h47 h4d 3x1573d f0r n34rly 7w3n7y y34r5. b34md06 647h3r3d 7h3m 4ll up, 5l4pp3d "3nh4nc3d 3d1710n" 0n 17 4nd r350ld 17 45 4 n3w pr0duc7. 7h3r3'5 v3ry v3ry l177l3 1n 7h3 3nh4nc3d 3d1710n5 7h47 w45n'7 4lr34dy 0u7 7h3r3, 4nd m057 0f 17 15 57uff y0u d0n'7 w4n7 (l1k3 0bn0x10u5 ch4r4c73r 0u7l1n35).

2. 7h3 64m35 d1dn'7 53ll 50 w3ll 4nd 7h3 0r161n4l5 w3r3 571ll f4r 0u753ll1n6 7h3m, 3v3n 7w3n7y y34r5 4f73r 7h31r r3l3453, 50 b34md06 h4d 3v3ry d16174l d157r1bu70r 570p 53ll1n6 7h3 0r161n4l5 4nd 0nly 53ll 7h3 3nh4nc3d 3d1710n. 1f y0u w4n7 70 buy 4 d16174l c0py 0f 7h3 0r161n4l5 n0w, 7h3y'r3 "bundl3d" 1n70 7h3 3nh4nc3d 3d1710n. n0w 7h353 5cumb465 c4n cl41m 54l35 fr0m p30pl3 ju57 w4n71n6 70 buy 7h3 0r161n4l5 45 7h31r 0wn.

3. 7h3 1nf4m0u5 600+ bu65 0n l4unch. 7h3 64m3 15 571ll r1ddl3d w17h bu65 (45 3v3n 4 p3rfunc70ry 6l4nc3 0v3r 7h31r f0rum5 5h0w) bu7 7h3 f4c7 7h47 17 700k n34rly 7w0 y34r5 f0r 7h3m 70 637 4 64m3 7h47 h4d b33n w0rk1n6 f1n3 f0r 20 y34r5 70 r34ch pl4y4b1l17y 4f73r l4unch 15 73ll1n6 0f 7h31r w1ld 1nc0mp373nc3.

4. 7h15 15 wh3r3 w3 637 70 7h3 0n35 7h47 r34lly p155 p30pl3 0ff. b34md06 c0uldn'7 ju57 r3m4573r 7h3 64m3, 7h3y h4d 70 fuck w17h 7h3 c0n73n7 700. n3w d14l06u3 f0r 3x1571n6 npc5 l1k3 j4h31r4, v1c0n14, 54f4n4, k1v4n, 37 c373r4 w45 wr1773n 1n 70 m4k3 7h3 ch4r4c73r5 m0r3 pr06r3551v3 4nd l3f7157 fr13ndly. b34md06 5h1ll5 w1ll 4r6u3 7h47 "4dd1n6 c0n73n7 15n'7 ch4n61n6 c0n73n7 xddd" bu7 17 15 wh3n 7h3 n3w c0n73n7 ch4n635 7h3 c0r3 p3r50n4l17135 0f 7h3 3x1571n6 ch4r4c73r5. 7h15 15 1n 4dd1710n 70 4dd1n6 4 5l3w 0f 7h31r 0wn l6b7 (h17h3r70 7h3r3 w3r3 n0n3 1n b4ldur'5 6473) npc5, 4ll fl00d3d w17h 0p 477r1bu735 4nd m461c 173m5 70 3nc0ur463 p30pl3 70 pl4y 7h3m d35p173 7h31r c4nc3r.

5. 51363 0f m07h3rfuck1n6 dr460n5p34r.

>> No.5306891

>>5304521
There are people who have played BG2 multiple times who still haven't realized that Jan's LOL SO RANDOM XD character is just a front to appear goofy and harmless. But there's barb in some of his stories. And, for example, I don't think he's trying to steal Boo for the lulz, but because he's the only one who realizes that Minsc is correct about what that hamster actually is. Then he completely drops the facade in his personal quest and becomes quite somber and blunt.

*cracks*
Bioware just don't write characters like they used to. Now it's nothing but one dimensional mary sues.
*sips*

>> No.5306970

>>5304278
This is 100% true.

>> No.5306983

>>5306705
>Is this true?
Yes.
>Is it just bg2?
No.

>> No.5307075
File: 619 KB, 635x480, bg1no3pips.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5306983
>>Is it just bg2?
>No.
Maybe it's ToB too, but it doesn't work in bg1 at least.

>> No.5307161

>>5307075
Oh, huh. Weird. I could have sworn it did.

>> No.5307197

>>5307161
If it works in bg2+ToB for non Anomen characters, it probably also works in bg1:ee.
I need to look into the different versions more, it would change a bit what I've thought of planned characters.

>> No.5307283

>>5305038
>And you can't visit it once you kill final boss.
In BGT you can. You can kill Sarevok, clear TotSC, then talk to Belt to continue to BG2.

>> No.5307449

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b_icSCBEro&ab_channel=RPGLimitBreak

>> No.5308097

>>5304340
Nah, that guy changes things up occasionally and individually tailors his segues into the pasta

>> No.5308102

>>5308097
Least he isn't posting about Andy Sixx.

>> No.5308405
File: 838 KB, 1596x600, bg2dualclassfightertomagecangetmorepips.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5307197
reinstalled vanilla bg2 to confirm that it works for non anomen characters

>> No.5308769
File: 1.00 MB, 1024x768, bg1ripshandalar.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shandalar is fucking GAY
also r8 my party

>> No.5308867

>>5308769
I don't like BG1 Faldorn (as I generally dislike BG1 Druids) but otherwise this seems like a classic evil party. I'd replace Faldorn with Tiax when you get the chance.

Also Shandalar is vulnerable to wand of paralyzation.

>> No.5309226

>>5308867
i just let him cast his globe of invulnerability, ran in the inn, rested, then came out and let edwin tank his spells with minor globe of invulberability and had him and my mage/thief cast kill him with magic missiles

>> No.5309237

>>5308867
also Faldorn is really nice, iron skins and insect plague are really good, her wolf form lets her be a great tank,i also like her voice

>> No.5309241

>>5304278
Anon, anyone who is even slightly interested and into the old infinity engine games knows that Beamdog are subhuman filthy kikes.

>> No.5309250

>>5309237
>also Faldorn is really nice, iron skins and insect plague are really good
Oh yeah, she's much better in conversions to BG2. Vanilla BG1 druids suck because the level 5 tier they get only makes them privvy to Cure Critical Wounds, and the Druid tier 2 spells are dreadful. Yeah, 5th tier of spells for Druids is really good in your setup, amazing really.

>> No.5309338

>>5308769
Shandalar vs. Shangalar. Who wins?

>> No.5309420

>>5309338
Shangalar was a higher level in second edition and Shandalar never made it to third edition where Shangalar took off into epic Archmage levels. So probably Shangalar. Unless the Twisted Rune gets involved, then definitely Shangalar.

>> No.5309806

What's the best class for the canon party in BG1?

>> No.5309839

>>5309806
>the canon party
Assuming you mean Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen, Dynaheir and Minsc, I'd take a Cleric (preferrably Dwarf Fighter/Cleric), Paladin or Fighter.
Cleric (or hybrid) because Cleric spells are really strong in BG1 and with just Jaheira you miss out on some nice buffs, and aside from that, just having a source of Hold Person or a bonus Command around is nifty. Paladin because they have nifty abilities and good saving throws and you're already gonna be heroic. Fighter, because pure Fighter is just a strong, consistent DPS. All of these characters work well if you transition your save to BG2.
You could also roll Mage if you don't plan on dualing Imoen to one, as two Mages are a fun tandem to compliment one another with spells. Just a tad squishy, but nothing that can't be solved with optimal play.
If you are playing BGT or EE and thus have the BG2 kits in BG1, Berserker, any of the Paladin kits and also the Archer Ranger are all a complete blast throughout BG1 and will work well in BG2 too.

If you mean roleplaying considerations (i.e. which class fits the main character the most considering his upbringing), then the general consensus is that it'd be hard to become a Ranger or Druid in Candlekeep, and that being surrounded by Oghmites you're well on your way to becoming a Cleric or Mage. The "canon" Abdel Adrian (the one from the books, the premade character in BG2 and the guy who got killed in Murder at Baldur's Gate by Viekang) is a Human Fighter.

>> No.5309926
File: 59 KB, 632x939, 74e801a7e96d44b8ddf9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5309806
The canon party has all the bases covered.

Warrior: Khalid
Priest: Jaheira
Rogue: Imoen
Caster: Dynaheir

If anything, it's a little warrior heavy since you also have Minsc and Jaheira's a passably competent Fighter herself. So, I'd avoid classes like Fighter or Paladin, you're just stacking up on what the party already has in abundance.

The best option is probably Bard. His Pickpocket will allow Imoen to focus solely on Traps and Lockpicking (great for endgame Durlag and the like), his spellcasting is a good back-up to Dynaheir allowing him to get the Enchantment and Conjuration spells she's banned, plus he levels fast enough that he'll actually be the better spellcaster for about 90% of BG1. Also, the Bard has great weapon proficiencies and can fill in as a backline archer for the group.

Finally, the main character should be the "face" of your group and nothing fulfills that role quite like a Bard. Plus it fulfills all roleplaying considerations, given that the protagonist's formal training is academic, like a Bard's should be.

>> No.5310078

>>5309926
>So, I'd avoid classes like Fighter or Paladin, you're just stacking up on what the party already has in abundance.
Kinda yeah, kinda nah, because heavy physical parties are really strong while requiring the least micromanagement, and micro in BG is a matter of acquired taste. It helps that the tanky classes allow you to see the dreaded disappearing hand screen less often.
Bard is a fine option, but one should pretty much forget about bard song. Bards are support archers, wand-carriers and blasters, but the way the bard song was applied is gonna be rarely useful (only against fear / morale effects, really, though that also depends on version and whether you have BG2 kits, since those are all plenty strong).

Bard is probably one of the stronger candidates for a BG1 PC, with the caveat that one should simply not expect to sing at people much. Which is just weird, his most pronounced feature is almost worthless, hiding from many players what remains a very versatile toolbox.

>> No.5310554

The canon party is gay, fite me

>> No.5310572

>>5310554
i wont, because i agree with you
i dont like it how they forced certain companions on you

>> No.5310589

>>5310554
I like the canon. It implies you had Coran, Safana, Dynaheir, Edwin, Jaheira, Imoen, Garrick, Minsc, Khalid, Montaron, Xzar, Viconia and Tiax were all party members at one point. (It might also include Ajantis, Quayle and Faldorn, but I don't remember the game acknowledging your shared history when you run into them.) That it happened to start with Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid, Jaheira and Imoen as the current party is immaterial.

>> No.5310629

>>5310589
I kinda want to play through bg1 once and cycle through them all, instead of trying to beeline the guys I spend the entire game with

>> No.5311530

>>5304575
That's exactly what I do almost every single time.

>> No.5311581
File: 53 KB, 210x330, 645a31d8caabc69b12f2da5ffeab19.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5311530
What a boring way to play. I try to have different combos than I've ever used.

I've even used the class-change mod so I'd have a reason to have certain NPCs in the party I'd never have a reason to otherwise. Just makes a more unique play experience.

>> No.5311730

>>5311581
are there more 80s action star modified baldurs gate portraits?
preferably with all of them smoking cigars

>> No.5313238
File: 65 KB, 256x400, 36b6fee2161415e1f4007f9d3f15a8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5311730
Not 80s movie stars specifically, but they were made by some guy on a site called Portrait Portal back in the day. The sites long since gone, but you can still find these floating in the aether.

>> No.5313361 [DELETED] 

This has been asked before, but apparently I'm too slow to understand. If I dual from to a cleric from a fighter, for example, and I have ** in mace, can I continue adding stars to my mace proficiency, all the way up to grandmastery, even though clerics are only allowed a single * proficiency in weapons.

>> No.5313362

This has been asked before, but apparently I'm too slow to understand. If I dual to a cleric from a fighter and I have ** in maces, can I continue adding stars to my mace proficiency, all the way up to grandmastery, even though clerics are only allowed a single * proficiency in weapons.

>> No.5313374

>>5313362
yes, works with any class. Clerics are only specific because dualing to cleric prevents you from using slashing and piercing weapons, but aside from that you can get grandmastery in weapon proficiencies.

>> No.5313379

>>5313374
works with any class dualing from fighter* of course

>> No.5313406

What was the point of this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW_PQLtNYbc
It always intrigued me so much.

>> No.5313407

>>5313238
Do you have a link to the site? I think I may have seen it in the past.
If I have the link maybe I can use waybackmachine

>> No.5313412

>>5313362
Not in bg1, but it works in bg2
And it works after you regain your fighter levels
See
>>5307075
>>5308405

>> No.5313413

>>5313374
I guess this further cements how superior a dualled fighter/cleric is to a single class cleric.

It's official, Anomen >>>>> Viconia. A lot more hitpoints, many attacks per round (vs. Viconia's single attack, two if dual wielding with huge penalty because shit proficiencies), holy nuclear bomb (vs. Viconia's Unholy garbage. Guess what, 99% of enemies are evil aligned), etc. Also, 8 constitution lol. But apparently a couple of more low level spells make her superior. Oh, and magic resistance, that works... in theory, but not really in game.

Let's face it. Those who champion Viconia as superior are the kinds of shut-ins that have waifus and fap to her portrait. And they usually play females and are traumatised by Anomen having tried to get in their pants. Because he's objectively the (far) better cleric.

>> No.5313424

>>5313413
only if you give him the dex bracers

>> No.5313557

>>5313413
Let's face it. Those who champion small additional DPS over magic immunity are onions-infused individuals intimidated by minmaxing Korgan and Jan. Because Anomen is objectively worthless in any serious fight.

also this >>5304521

>> No.5313994

>>5313557
>Anomen is objectively worthless in any serious fight.
>>5313413
>Oh, and magic resistance, that works... in theory, but not really in game.
Both of those are extreme statements that come from wildly differing playstyles and are also both needlessly adversarial when it's fairly obvious that a fully buffed Cleric with decent APR is capable of dealing competent damage (there's data suggesting Anomen is potentially the strongest ranged physical damage dealer in the game, for instance) and that a high MR stat is a definite boon to any party that chooses to employ it (on top of Cleric's natural strong status as a "damage soak").
I don't like these objective statements because they say nothing about the actual, objective state of the game, just some assumptions about waifus or whatever the fuck. Very disappointing considering we had a quality discussion here earlier.

Let people wager the bonus HP, THAC0, damage and APR against MR on their own and compare with their own mod and difficulty setups. For what it's worth, I'm in the Anomen camp, though not to the point of absolute.

>> No.5314120

>>5313407
Don't remember the exact url, sadly. I know they're the devil, but someone has a post on the beamdog forum that has most of them.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/5339/alternate-npc-and-pc-portraits-just-because-p/p54

>> No.5314126
File: 1.98 MB, 246x291, 1474336146840.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5313407
>>5314120
>Update
Alright so a little google fu and I was able to turn up http://www.karwal.dk/portraitportal/ which still seems to be active. So Yay

>> No.5314158

>>5314120
>>5314126
Cool, I've seen some of those before.
I remember another portrait pack I once used for an iwd multiplayer game, had a bunch of edited characters and original(I think).
Some ludicrous which were basically just Aerie but showing her HUGE cleavage in the portrait.

>female montaron
that's the stuff of nightmares

>> No.5314341

>>5313413
>>5313994
Whatever your mod setup, difficulty setting, set of rules or whatever, any sort of somewhat challenging fight will always include arcane casters and enemies that can dispel anything not protected by spell immunity abjuration.
Anomen will struggle to stay alive against any kind of arcane caster and will border on useless casualty against beholders or liches, all of which are completely helpless against a 100MR divine caster even if he's wielding a wooden club at 1 apr and 14 base thac0.
DPS is really easy to get from any class whatsoever. The ability to tank magic? Not so much.
Magic resistance works as well in game as in theory. Only tricks are, magic resistance buffs from potions and spells get dispelled and "magic immune" summons get killed by common spells like death spell or death fog, because they are still summons. Magic immune characters just don't get killed at all.
It is honestly insanely broken and superior to a few APR in any situation ever.

>> No.5314363

>>5314341
>Anomen will struggle to stay alive against any kind of arcane caster
I've seen reports of solo martials beat Solo SCS/Insane. I find it highly doubtful that Anomen cannot find a solution to any arcane caster problems with his divine kit even if Viconia's special ability means she absolutely excels it and means it's easier to do so.
>DPS is really easy to get from any class whatsoever.
Somewhat suspect when SCS also offers you components like doubled health of dragons, liches and other creatures where the high THAC0 actually makes sense. Warrior-types wouldn't be distinguished for their damage under IH+CS (or just GWW 2-handed) if it was the least necessary thing to cover in any team composition.

>> No.5314380

>>5314341
>will border on useless casualty against beholders
Animate Dead renders these utterly useless anyway, and Anomen can cast that. Shield of Balduran (Anomen is a much better Sling-wielder than Viconia, so he can just sling+shield with ease, faster, with much less hassle).
>or liches
At some point minor Liches will be instantly destroyed with Turn Undead and for the bigger ones (or ones met earlier, like if you try to rush Kangaxx) you can employ other tactics not necessarily tied to a Cleric. Anomen will also be a better wielder of Mace of Disruption.

>> No.5314415

>>5314363
Of course you can beat anything with anything.
The only question is why bring Anomen along to play in a bizarre and exploitative manner against casters. Makes no sense. Of course a pure cleric can beat any fight with any arcane caster AI, if he retreats as soon as his buffs are in danger of getting dispelled, etc...
It is possible, it is simply difficult and hazardous if you let your micro slip. And still, under no circumstances will it be more optimal than having 100MR.
As for double dragon HP and liches, I use these components, and really having more APR from Anomen (thac0 isn't that different from a pure cleric) still won't be anything decisive since pretty much any companion can provide a lot of sources of damage to still be able to kill them in a round (or two or three for dragons, but liches are still really squishy).
100MR > damage I just don't see what more there is to it.
>>5314380
Skellies die to Elder Orbs because they cast death spell. The worst they can do to a 100MR character is x3 lower resistance trigger, which still gives you time to retreat. Shield of Balduran gets snatched away by telekinesis immediately alongside the cloak of mirroring, but without this component, any character that can use a shield can tank beholders in vanilla BG2 so the point is kinda moot.
Minor liches that get destroyed by turn undead, will also be destroyed or dire charmed by a 100MR cleric as well so the point is moot too.

>> No.5314483

>>5314415
>The only question is why bring Anomen along to play in a bizarre and exploitative manner against casters. Makes no sense. Of course a pure cleric can beat any fight with any arcane caster AI, if he retreats as soon as his buffs are in danger of getting dispelled, etc...
Please, no one has implied anything of the sort. You can itemize against every encounter in the game. Even Viconia's amazing 100 MR you're touting is still a result of post-Underdark itemization (implying you mean the synergy with Human Skin and multiple other artifacts). You're relying on itemization either way to get this result. And with Cleric spells like Shield of the Archons and potion buffs, I think the Cleric kit has plenty to show against enemy mages.
>Skellies die to Elder Orbs because they cast death spell
Death Ward. Either way, for most of the relevant Beholder areas (Unseeing Eye being the biggest issue), Clerics have no problems going through whatsoever.

>> No.5314526

>>5314483
>Death Ward
Nevermind, Death Ward doesn't work on Death Spell in most installs due to a special NI flag. My bad.

>> No.5314779

>>5314158
>tittymonster aerie portrait
Can someone uh, post this for research purposes?

>> No.5314789
File: 11 KB, 990x137, clericrangerspells.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone made a cleric/ranger in bg?
I've only made one asap dual class in iwd for exceptional strength, also got druid spells out of it.

extra low circle spells and maybe stalker for those mage spells+backstab intrigue me

>> No.5314805

>>5314789
>Anyone made a cleric/ranger in bg?
Yeah, it's strong outside of EE or fixes that remove the ability to know ALL spells from both ranged schools. Then you might as well play a Fighter for Grandmastery (if dual) or a shorty race (if multi).
>extra low circle spells
Low circle Druid spells are nothing to write home about, desu.
Archer->Cleric can be a strong Slinger (even though Archers don't get GM in Slinging)
Stalker->Cleric is a cool idea, but remember you can only backstab with staves.
BM->Cleric sorta works but BM's boons fall off quickly even if I somewhat enjoy the kit itself on some level.
Really though R/Cs are at their best when they can be an Ironskinned double-meaning of whirling death with both high APR and Barrier Blade.

>> No.5314849

>>5314779
Oh my!

>> No.5314918
File: 58 KB, 110x170, CLERICL.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5314779
Haven't been able to find it sadly.

Annoying, while searching now I only find these small packs that I have to download.
10 years ago or whenever it was I easily found this massive collection all up on a website, all visible without having to download any.

The Aerie one wasn't really that good, just kinda funny that someone made a portrait that was basically slight color changes to aerie, then shrank the image a bit and added huge tits to her, like that was more important to see.
The site had a great collection of drow portraits iirc.

here's a consolation aerie edit

>> No.5315036
File: 49 KB, 741x795, SavingThrows2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Decided to compare saving throws of races+max level classes.
Was about to post, but realized I had not checked if everyone got to max saving throws, and saw that mages don't actually get to their max saving throws if you multiclass them, not even just with 2 classes.
Could get to it through dual classes though.

>> No.5315809

Thinking about starting a new BG2 game. Is it worth playing a dragon disciple over the standard sorcerer? They can cast one fewer spell per level, but gain higher hit die (1d6 vs. 1d4 for sorc), fire resistance, breath weapon, and +2 constitution and -4 AC over time. Oh, and a breath weapon that more flavor than anything impressive.

I played a sorcerer some years ago and don't remember ever running out of spells or the number of spells being any kind of issue. So talk me out of it before I take the biannual BG plunge.

>> No.5315814

>>5315809
*biennial, damn it.

>> No.5315861

>>5315809
can be worth it, those advantages will really shine in BG1. One less spell per level isn't much and won't turn your sorc into a cripple late game, he'll just have one less spell per level. It's probably a bit less good than a pure sorc overall, I'd take the spell slots over the kit advantages in BG2 but they are really handy in BG1. And your sorc will be able to reach over 100HP without save scumming, always good at any point in the game.

>> No.5315904

There is no thangs up in dis biatch fo' Beamdog be a guilty of a fuckin shitload of different crimes yo. Here is tha major ones:

1. Da Enhanced Editions is essentially a cold-ass lil collection of free modz dat had existed fo' nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered dem all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it n' resold it as a freshly smoked up product. Therez straight-up hella lil up in tha Enhanced Editions dat wasn't already up there, n' most of it is shiznit you don't want (like obnoxious characta outlines).

2. Da game didn't push so well n' tha originals was still far outpimpin them, even twenty muthafuckin years afta they release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop pushin tha originals n' ONLY push tha Enhanced Edition. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. If you wanna loot a gangbangin' finger-lickin' digital copy of tha originals now, they "bundled" tha fuck into tha Enhanced Edition. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Now these scumbags can claim salez from playas just wantin ta loot tha originals as they own. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch.

3. Da inhyped 600 bugs on launch. Da game is still riddled wit bugs (as even a perfunctory glizzle over they forums show) but tha fact dat it took nearly two muthafuckin years fo' dem ta git a game dat had been hustlin fine fo' 20 muthafuckin years ta reach playabilitizzle afta launch is spittin some lyrics ta of they wild incompetence.

>> No.5315905

>>5315809
This guy >>5315861 nailed it, and overall you can't go wrong with any arcane character.

>> No.5315908

4. This is where we git ta tha ones dat straight-up piss playas off. Beamdog couldn't just remasta tha game, they had ta fuck wit tha content like a muthafucka. New dialogue fo' existin NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was freestyled up in ta make tha charactas mo' progressive n' leftist bumpin'. Beamdog shills will argue dat "addin content aint changin content XDDD" but it is when tha freshly smoked up content chizzlez tha core personalitizzlez of tha existin characters. This is up in addizzle ta addin a slew of they own LGBT (hitherto there was none up in Baldurz Gate) NPCs, all flooded wit OP attributes n' magic shit ta encourage playas ta play dem despite they cancer n' shit.

5. Right back up in yo muthafuckin ass. Siege of motherfuckin Dragonspear.

>> No.5315913

>>5315904
>>5315908
Make a Warcraft general somewhere else, mon.

>> No.5316174

>>5315809
You'll find that the Dragon Disciple's abilities do not synergize with a class that does not want to be anywhere near an enemy. It is still a sorcerer, so it is still perfectly fine, but 1 extra spell per level is honestly more powerful than the entire Dragon Disciple ability suite.

>> No.5316346

>>5306476
Nevermind
>Any characters dualed to Specialist Mage will have their spellbook rewritten, their proficiency points resigned to be a Generalist Mage

>> No.5317492

>>5316174
A bit of extra bulk in your spellcasters doesn't hurt. It sounds like it would synergise quite well with tensers transformation and a high fire resistance has its uses.

>> No.5317852

>>5317492
It doesn't hurt, I"m just saying that while those bonuses would be amazing on any other class, on a sorcerer they just don't do much. Enemies you don't want to hit you are still going to hit you even with +2 armor class bonus. Extra HP won't really go that far, and the breath weapon is not as good as another fireball. Fire Resistance is nice, though.

Not saying it is a bad class. It is still a sorcerer.

>> No.5317940

>>5317492
I really don't understand how anything would synergize well with tenser, this spell is completely useless, the meager bonus to thac0 won't do anything, no additional apr, hp where a mage has everything in store not to lose any at this point in the game, and it disables spellcasting, so in addition to these worthless bonuses you can't even refresh your buffs and you are fucked if you get dispelled. Why would anyone use this spell, what am I missing?

>> No.5318238

Has anyone done a shorty run? I was thinking I'd like to try. Korgan, Mazzy, Jan, and Charname. You'd be forced to be a cleric I guess. A gnome cleric/illusionist might be good. But I'm thinking you'd never reach truly high level arcane casting as a multi. So if I'd roll straight illusionist... are you completely screwed without a cleric? Or without the school of necromancy?

>> No.5318240

>>5317940
>meager bonus to THAC0
Basically ensures the spellcaster catches up to a Fighter.
>no additional APR
This is why it's a spell primarily designed for UAI bards (and thief/mages) who can cast it while dual-wielding speed weapons. It also stacks with Improved Haste.
>bonus HP is useless
There is plenty of enemies where the bonus HP is just a really nice cushion to have against enemy attacks, e.g. stuff like the hard-hitting but ultimately physically-restricted drakes in Abazigal's lair, fire giants or demons in the temple.
>disables spellcasting
Since we're already arguing for Tenser's superiority for rogue-mages, the issue with getting dispelled or running out of buffs can be more or less mitigated by stuff like Time Traps. On top of that, Bards are perfectly capable of mixing Spell Immunity: Abjuration with (Minor) Spell Deflection and Spell Shield, so that your chief protective spells aren't going to get dispelled in a single spell. The main weakness of such a setup is, for instance, a combo of Ruby Ray x2 + Spell Thrust + True Sight -> Breach - but even SCS mages don't necessarily vomit it out on you in the first round.

All in all, with a fully buffed arcane rogue of either type mentioned above, you're looking at like -20 AC, 8 APR and solid THAC0 to pull it off.

It isn't perfect, it has drawbacks and weaknesses, but it is a very strong weapon in its niche. Far from "completely useless".

>> No.5318245
File: 73 KB, 1952x842, spells.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5318238
I did it in bg1 once, but I don't think I played that long.
You'll get to 9th circle in ToB as a cleric/illusionist

>> No.5318248

>>5318240
How does it work for a thief who casts it from a scroll?

>> No.5318250

>>5318238
>But I'm thinking you'd never reach truly high level arcane casting as a multi
In a 4-man party like you're proposing? That's not true at all; you will be slightly delayed, but you will be perfectly alright. There isn't that much gain in proceeding well into epic levels in a single class, even arcane, and you still get plenty of ways to affect your environment throughout the game, like firing off cleric buffs from minor sequencers and so on.
>So if I'd roll straight illusionist... are you completely screwed without a cleric?
Not at all; in my opinion, divine spellcasting is one of the things that are most easily discarded when powergaming. It is really convenient to have, but otherwise you can get by without it. Healing can be substituted with items (pass around a Ring of Regeneration when not in combat, for example) and some powerful buffs like NPP or Death Ward can also be substituted. It just takes more prep and game knowledge. Shouldn't ever be a complete roadblock, though.

If you're concerned, you can also try a classic Dwarven Fighter/Cleric. Solid melee class with excellent saving throws and decent support later. Advancing in Cleric mostly stops being relevant past around level 14, IMHO, so a multiclass is a great way to go.

Gnome Thief/Cleric is an oddball build that is mostly concerned with support, but Use Any Item gets rid of the cleric ethos and a self-buffed Cleric (25 Strength and all sorts of little +1s here and there) is one of the best backstabbers in the game (with a Staff).

If you don't mind a little bit of ultimately harmless bending of the rules, just use some third-party program or mod to play an illegal combination. Make a Dwarf Totemic Druid, for example. Druids are the better divine caster in BG2. Lower your Constitution if your conscience says that shorty saving throws on a class that's not supposed to have them is a big problem. It's your game - as long as you're not CTRL+Ying enemies it's probably fine.

>> No.5318263
File: 28 KB, 1394x409, spells2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5318245
>>5318238
In the long term you'd be giving up 7 spells in the 6th-9th arcane circles as a cleric/illusionist, while gaining 55 spells in the 1st-7th priest circles.
No 7th-9th arcane spells during SoA though.

>> No.5318264

>>5318248
Tenser's Transformation's only caster-level scaling component is its duration, and I'm not sure at the moment whether it considers your levels in Thief to be caster levels, so it should work as normal, with the caveat that it might also work for just a single round if the mechanics are uncharitable to the Thief. I'd run some tests but I'm away from my BG2 computer atm.

If you also have a steady source of Simulacrum (like Vhailor's Helm with UAI), you can probably bring a Tenser'd second thief to every fight because quickslot items are also copied.

>> No.5318273

>>5318238
>A gnome cleric/illusionist might be good.
it's unironically the best class in the game imo. Cleric/mages are insane, and they do reach high level arcane casting at 6 million xp, which you will probably get long before ToB in a party of 4 if you do all the content.
Being illusionists they get an additional spell per level and only really miss on skull trap and abi-dhalzim, both of which are good spells but you can live without. They don't even lose animate dead since they get it as a cleric spell.
They can tank perfectly in melee, inflict good physical damage and they can use any good cleric weapon.
And of course they can do insane shit with shapechange and polymorph, since they can load up cleric buffs in spell sequencers and triggers and release them once transformed. Enjoy that 10 APR -10/-10 thac0 mindflayer late game.
>>5318240
but we're talking about a sorcerer, can't dual or multi, no APR whatsoever and a limited ability to pick spells. Basically any other level 6 spell is more urgent for him to get than tenser, I really don't see at all what tenser would add to a dragon disciple when he has so much important shit to pick up at level 6 spells already.
It also won't help to reach -20 AC since it doesn't improve AC beyond -10.

There are just too many better ways to improve thac0 (potions of power, strenght, items) on a mage/thief than resorting to being completely unable to cast spells until this garbage spell wears off. Granted, the thac0 won't be as stellar, but at least they won't get stuck butt naked incapable of rebuffing themselves at the wrong time. Garbage spell, would paradoxically be amazing if it only lasted for 2-3 rounds, but it's 1/level, absolutely worthless.

>> No.5318279

>>5318273
>and they do reach high level arcane casting at 6 million xp, which you will probably get long before ToB
The cap is before 3 million though, and the cap in ToB is at 8 million meaning a multiclass only gets to 4 million

>> No.5318290

>>5318279
I just loaded the last final save I made in SoA, I'm at 4 million XP before the final fight in hell, no cheats, no mods touching the XP cap, no enhanced edition, ascension, fixpack, unfinished business and SCS.
I think the cap is at 3 million only if you don't install throne of bhaal.

>> No.5318292

>>5318273
>but we're talking about a sorcerer
Fair enough, I latched to your post thinking we're talking about Tenser in a vacuum, which is honestly my bad. I still maintain it works really well for Thief/Mage or Bard, though, and I've already provided a spell setup that should make you more or less immune to most threats of dispelling. You're also liable to use ranged weaponry with Tenser's.
Another thing that Tenser provides is that the bonus HP it grants steadily keeps you out of Power Word range, which is another thing SCS spellcasters enjoy using.

There's a written report of a Jester using the spell extensively and mostly circumventing the problems of the spell in a slick way, in an SCS / Ascension / No Reload environment. Yes you can use potions of power etc. but there are situations where the extreme melee power just comes in handy, like for dispatching Nabassus and Mariliths in the final battle of ToB or even to just burst down Melyssan before she heals to full.

>> No.5318297

>>5318290
Yeah if you're playing with ToB installed you have ToB caps and access to watchers keep earlier.

>> No.5318327

>>5318292
>a spell setup that should make you more or less immune to most threats of dispelling
as long as you refresh your spell shield, which guess what, you can't because your spells are fucking disabled.
Minor spell deflection is absolutely worthless and utterly useless, unironically.
Secret word/ruby ray & co will always dispel the highest level spell protection they are able to dispel.
Minor spell deflection is level 3, it will get dispelled AFTER a spell immunity abjuration (level 5) which makes it utterly pointless to waste a spell slot on that one. It also won't do anything against a spell thrust.
Spell deflection (level 6) is more useful, but wastes a level 6 slot, same with spell turning level 7 or even globe of invulnerability. All of these will still protect a spell immunity from getting dispelled after a spell shield has been dispelled.

>> No.5318339
File: 59 KB, 1067x741, SavingThrows3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5315036

>> No.5318346

>>5318327
>Minor spell deflection is absolutely worthless and utterly useless, unironically.
It isn't, because "if it tries to absorb a spell that goes over its limit, the spell will fail and the spell deflection will be canceled".
>Minor spell deflection is level 3, it will get dispelled AFTER a spell immunity abjuration (level 5) which makes it utterly pointless to waste a spell slot on that one.
The reason to keep Minor Spell Deflection is that it stops Breach in case your Spell Immunity: Abjuration runs out or is dispelled before you finish combat. Spell Shield and Spell Deflection are there to stop Ruby Rays / Secret Words. By the time these two are dispelled you're either (almost) done brutalizing your enemy or can simply retreat, and MSD is there to give you breathing room. It has a spell duration that lasts longer than Spell Immunity: Abjuration.

>> No.5318357

>>5318346
wasting a level 3 spell slot to protect yourself against a potential breach AFTER your spell immunity goes down is pointless.
95% of the time, it will be a dispel/remove magic that will get you, not a breach. And there is literally no other spell against which it might be remotely useful. Spell shield is here to give you breathing room, if you need more room, as I said, use the higher level spell turning or spell deflection which will actually prevent your spell immunity from getting dispelled and not just waste a spell slot.
Check on your character, completely dispelled and butt naked he will still have his minor spell deflection up. Which means it was absolutely useless.

>> No.5318401

>>5318357
>95% of the time, it will be a dispel/remove magic that will get you, not a breach
How do you envision a fight going on where the caster goes through all of your Spell Shields, Deflections, a possible Globe of Invulnerability (from Magic Flute if you're a HLA Bard), dispels your Spell Immunity Abjuration, and only then hits you with a Dispel/Remove Magic (which can't work until SI:A is gone)? A lot can be done in melee within that timeframe with the Tenser buff. You're claiming Dispel and Remove are way more common than these spells but I see Spell Thrust and Breach fairly commonly in high-level spellcaster fights as well.
>wasting a level 3 spellslot
I don't know if it's wasting a level 3 spellslot if our initial idea is that we're going to be closing into melee anyway. At the point where we're operating with at least level 6 spellslots I think that a long duration minor buff is not the worst thing we can cast.
You can stack MSD along with SD.
Again, there's also a number of trashfights, even in SCS / Ascension, where enemies are going to hit hard in melee and warrant fast dispatching, and Tenser helps you deal with those within the timeframe of your ProMW anyway, especially if you're low on spellslots.
It's a burst damage spell, in my opinion. You use it if you know you can complete the fight in the allotment of time it will take to dispel all of your protections. In a gauntlet-like fight like Melyssan where you're on your last PfMW and last few buffs, this might push you to victory. It's not great for a sustained engagement against spellcasters, but it's not "worthless" in my opinion.
Arcane rogue types also have Time Traps they can retreat to if they want to use the spell safely - the only caveat is consideration with the Focus spell in the Throne fight.

>> No.5318431

>>5318401
I'm tired of these shitty semantics, minor spell deflection is useless 100% of the time period, just pick up anything else at level 3, at least it will DO something, minor spell deflection won't, that's all there is to it. If your spell immunity is down it won't buy you any time in any situation ever, it will not do anything for you at all ever, trying to argue otherwise is fucking mind boggling to me. And again, it won't do anything against a fucking spell thrust.
Tenser will be worthless 99,99% of the time on every character ever except if you play in über-no-minmaxing-no-fun-allowed-worst-arcane-caster-7CON-solo runs, managing to find the one situation in that specific run in which that trash spell will be somewhat useful and yet still undecisive doesn't change the fact that it's fucking worthless outside of it.
If a tenser might push you to victory because you burned your last pfmw and have nothing else remaining in your spellbook, well you should have picked one more pfmw instead of this shit in the first place. "Burst" damage is great when it doesn't prevent you from casting for 20 fucking rounds.
If you enjoy casting tenser, great, 100% fun spell. But it is fucking worthless.

>> No.5318465

>>5318431
>And again, it won't do anything against a fucking spell thrust.
If nothing else, it's there to ensure no minor effects (like silence) can hit you when your SI:A is down before Spell Thrust can hit you. And again, it completely cancels out Breach.
>Tenser will be worthless 99,99% of the time on every character ever except if you play in über-no-minmaxing-no-fun-allowed-worst-arcane-caster-7CON-solo runs, managing to find the one situation in that specific run in which that trash spell will be somewhat useful and yet still undecisive doesn't change the fact that it's fucking worthless outside of it.
Like I said, there's an extensive report on a Bard using Tenser in every single fight and no-reloading Ascension.
I'm not trying to argue semantics here, I just think Tenser has uses that are overlooked. That said, we might be letting nerves getting to one another. For my money if a spell is usable to a good effect in SCS / Ascension it's not "worthless 100% of the time period". In fact, MSD is explicitly buffed in SCS.

>> No.5318502

>>5318465
It's still useless, just cast something to take the space between SI and spell shield if you really want more layers of protection, not after SI, it's too late then. Level 3 spell slots are great, there is a lot of cool shit here, remove magic, protection from fire, aoe damage, spell thrust etc. No reason to ever pick a useless spell over this, who gives a fuck about silence when vocalize exists at level 2 (which spell slots are also a lot less contested with actual useful spells).
And again, tenser might be useful in very specific settings arising only from self-imposed constraints on builds and party management. It will never do anyone any good outside of these very specific circumstances because the player chooses specifically to put himself in a situation where he literally has no alternative to keep on increasing his damage output. But as long as you have those alternatives, you will find something better than tenser for the same purpose of dealing damage or tanking every single time.

>> No.5318960

>>5318264
Didn't think of it but it's actually a pretty neat idea, just tested it with Jan Jansen, it works really fucking well with mislead backstabs, although it's quite the setup to make.
But if you are high level enough for UAI as a mage/thief, the most steady source of simulacrums is, well, project image. I don't know if it will work with the EE, but in the classic BG2 (with fixpack and scs), since simulacrums are summons, they can attack even if they are spawned from a project image.

>> No.5318973

>>5318960
So I stand corrected, tenser is actually not worthless, apologies.

>> No.5319008

>>5318960
last correction, simulacrum/project image trick doesn't seem to actually work reliably

>> No.5319012
File: 471 KB, 499x314, friendship.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5318973
It's okay, we all have our game experiences and making a strong statement in a 4chan debate is to be expected. But this has been a really fun and chill thread so far anyway.

>> No.5319448

argghhh i just wanna finish BG1 already but i still have to do Durlag's Tower
just cuck my shit up

>> No.5319632

So if Viconia becomes good, would she eventually find a new god after shar, or are the virtues of shar worship still okay for a good character?

>> No.5319638

>>5319632
her alignment changes to True Neutral, not Good

>> No.5319872
File: 710 KB, 2085x679, 19990127.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5321415

Fighter/druid dual (probably at level 7 or 9). What weapon proficiency should I take? It seems all the best weapons are exactly the weapons druids are forbidden to use. And no, I'm not gonna take Drizzt's scimitars.

>> No.5321428

>>5321415
Drizzts scimitars are only useable by good character right(at least in bg1) so wouldn't work since you need to be true neutral.

Staffs should be alright, not sure about spears.
I prefer sword+board though.

I'm gonna have a look around, I wondered myself if fighter/druid would open up weapons over plain druid.
Did Fighter>Druid in iwd once with large swords(includies scimitars) and relied on a +3 scimitar iirc, it was pretty neat.

>> No.5321509

>>5321428
>only useable by good character right(at least in bg1) so wouldn't work
ahh, that seems to be an EE thing, that explains why I didn't recognize "Tinkle" as a name for his swords in that item list.

>> No.5321541

Playing through the entire series for the second time (first time without constantly cheesing rests), but I noticed that the BG1 Default Male voice doesn't exist in the game files, thus can't be transferred over to BG2. Google's not turning anything up, any thoughts?

>> No.5321874

>>5321509
Not an EE thing actually, his scimitars always behaved (and one was named Tinkle) like that.

>> No.5322007

>>5321874
no just checked og baldurs gate 1

it's named Scimitar +5, Defender
it does have the only used by good though

The +3 scimitar doesn't have that modifier so it can be used by druids.

>> No.5322016

gave me an opportunity to see if Drizzts chainmail worked as elven chain, but sadly I couldn't cast in it

>> No.5322110

>>5322007
Polish BG1 item description gives both the Defender and the Twinkle name, so that's why I was confused I guess.

>> No.5322779

>>5321415
Quaterstaff/sling

>> No.5322934

>>5322016
You can, however, stealth in it.

>> No.5322950

>>5322934
Yeah read about that and tested with Kivan to make sure. It was the reason I thought that maybe you could cast in it too, since that's a trait shared with elven chain.
Could be a neat armor for a solo ranger, fighter/thief or cleric/thief game maybe.

>> No.5323292

Post your perfect BG2 character. Preferably for a party of 4-6. If fighting type, proficiencis and items. If mage/sorcerer, what spells and in what order and why, what playing style, what NPC fit, etc. and so forth.

>> No.5323365

>>5323292
Fighter 9 to mage with Aerie, Jan and my boy Edwin is my favorite small OP party tbqh
I'm a long swords /quarterstaves guy myself, I like giving flails to Aerie and katanas to Jan. I enjoy dealing physical damage with non fighter types, I love mislead and backstabs, and I love constantly over buffing my party, thanks to that short out of combat casting time allowed by the scs ai script.
Most used spells are survival shit, from mirror image and stoneskin to protection from the elements, I'm not really a sucker for elemental damage, I'd rather use skull traps and abi-dhalzim if I need aoe but I also really enjoy shit like cloudkill and death cloud (not so much incendiary cloud because every troublesome mob and their mother is immune to fire damage).
I also tend to use Edwin as my dispelling machine, with anything needed to kill mages in less than a round late game (alacrity+robe of vecna, secret word spellstrike breach skull traps, all of it from a project image will often do the trick if you need a dead mage asap).
Favorite spell is undoubtedly project image, because it's hilariously broken (use it for constant improved haste on everyone, free alacrities, free planetars, etc..).
Aerie and Jan will mostly use protection and survival spells, some dispelling and a bit of aoe damage just in case. I also love fucking around with polymorphs and cleric buffs in general.
Everyone dual wielding in melee except Edwin, ranged weapons are for sissies and do nothing whatsoever with this party, except minute meteors early game.

>> No.5323514
File: 148 KB, 250x333, amber.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5323292
Male level 9, then dual to female. This unlocks the innate ability Wail of the Transy, where you bore everyone to death (save vs. death) with sjw jargon, once per five levels every day. Also, the game gives you immunity to crits. And if you don't like it, too bad.

>> No.5323580

>>5323514
Sounds like it'll fizzle out around the time you run into drow, ironically.

>> No.5324921

Anyone got a lot of experience using shapeshift, polymorph and such?

They go off your base thac0, but transform your stats from what I've read.
Kinda curious about builds focusing on that, not just the shapeshifter class.

Also curious about other mage or cleric thac0 applications, like shocking grasp uses thac0 apparently, then there's the summoned weapons like minute meteors, builds around those would be kinda neat to try.

>> No.5324976

>>5324921
>Kinda curious about builds focusing on that, not just the shapeshifter class.
Avenger is a much better shapeshifter than the Shapeshifter simply because the three forms offer more variety and are more relevant, plus you get other features on top of them not related to shapeshifting. Unless you mod the Shapeshifter.
Otherwise, I always feel compelled to bring up the trick with turning into a Sword Spider (any regular wizard will do for this) with a prepped Minor Sequencer. You can slap Strength in there, Chill Touch (you're looking at 5d2+5d8+Strength bonus cold damage per round and a stacking THAC0 debuff) and you can also fire 2x Webs while in this form, which is pretty good since your form is immune to this spell. Clerics can also get Draw Upon Holy Might into the sequencer. As you unlock better sequencers, you can mix and match all sorts of buffs. Note that BG2EE makes your buffs persist after you turn into a form, which means the trick is unnecessary, but as this is /vr/ it's better to mention some kosher options, and also note that the sequencer might still be handy for in-combat buffing. Note also that after you sequence in a weapon into the shapeshift, upon duration your natural weapon is also overridden by whatever you were carrying in your hands. How you treat this is up to you, but I presume bugging out a Sword Spider on an F/M to wield a two-hander with 5 APR might be silly. This property might also work differnetly depending on whether you're playing EE or what kinda fixes you're using.

Otherwise, Polymorph Self is also useful due to the Flind form's +3 halberd, useful for hitting things resistant to mundane or low-magic weaponry, and the character model's bonus reach. And there's also the Jelly form, which is wonderfully tanky, especially with the usual assortment of spells. Your ultimate shapeshift will be Shapechange, which, aside from killing unkillable NPCs with is another cool flurry of forms.

>> No.5324984

>>5324976
Also, from Things To Do That I Somehow Never Tried, go look up whether Tenser's Transformation can be locked up in a Contingency and if so, how will it interact with a shapeshift form.

Also, for vanilla druid forms, they're generally nothing to write home about. Wolf is great for increased movement speed on the world map and Bear is mostly just an inferior Sword Spider. EE also screws a little bit with some things here, mostly with permahaste mechanics, and it's been a while since I touched default Druid shapeshifts, but in regular BG, they're not much to write home about.

>> No.5325032

>>5324921
Polymorph keeps your buffs but alters your stats.
What makes it good is the ability to cast sequencers while polymorphed and alter stats this way. A pure mage will have a few interesting options, strenght spells, maybe enchanted weapon to strike as a +3 (but I think it doesn't work in the EE since they completely changed enchanted weapon), maybe tenser if you are willing to put up with a few rounds with no spellcasting, stuff like that.

But cleric/mages can do some very heavy stuff with that. Because they can load all those sweet cleric buffs that drastically increase STR, DEX, CON and thac0 into sequencers and fire them while polymorphed.
Mix all those spells with the aforementioned, you can get some impressive results with polymorph alone.
But if you play in a small party to get xp faster, the real deal is obviously shapechange as a cleric mage.
All forms are fun, two are completely busted. Iron Golem, 100MR and hits for great damage. And Mind Flayer, one of the highest dps in the game. With a spell trigger loaded with holy power, righteous magic and draw upon holy might and an improved haste, a cleric mage will reach 10 apr at -10 thac0 draining 5 INT points per hit. And almost no enemies have high int scores. You can kill 3-4 enemies per round for 5 turns with impunity.

There is also the cloak of the sewers. It has one very fun form, the rat. It has 90 physical damage resistance, will get 100 with armor of faith in a minor sequencer for example, and will ofc retain your elemental resistances and protection from magic energy, this thing is unkillable. Fun part is, the rat is also a lot smaller than your standard shape, which means spells like blade barrier, globe of blades and fireshields suddenly become very easy to use and deal incredible damage.
Overall, lots of things to do and combinations to try, it's broken and fun as hell and makes you virtually unkillable if you manage it well.

>> No.5325824

I wanted to play nwn1 so badly. 20-12 fps. I'm pretty sure it worked better on my first pc.

>> No.5326074

>>5304226
It's fine. The only NPC that you're forced to interact with is Neera, who triggers a fight in 1 and 2 similar to how Viconia does. She's also fairly fun mechanically, being a Wild Mage, and her personality is interesting enough.

The only time I had any crashes or noticable bugs was when I was using an unstable, pre-beta mod.

The 'new writing' that the old NPCs get is like one or two line interjections to interact with the new ones, it's hardly changing their personalities.

SoD is trickier, since it's entirely new content. IMHO the writing was fine and the antagonist was actually super interesting, but I also think that BW's writing was never that great to begin with but was carried by the occasional admittedly fantastic VA work. Khalid gets a really cute personal quest that makes the opening of BG2 kind of heart breaking.

Mechanically SoD is worth at least one play through, since it has a lot of unique encounters, like fights against kitted enemies, mass/army battles, etc.

also that 'tranny' npc people are whining about is just people throwing a fit over nothing, she's a hyper aggressive militant cleric of the setting's war god, that informs her personality way more than anything.

>> No.5326086

Berserker 9>Druid with Scimitars. It's tanky enough I never have to worry much about dying, and I prefer Bhaalspawn having support spells instead of npcs because I have more control over shaping them.

>> No.5326096

>>5326074
yeah that or the writing is beyond retarded and the fights are lame

>> No.5326115

>>5326074
Good post.
>>5326096
Bad post.

>> No.5326136

Is Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance worth playing?

>> No.5326570

>>5326136
Yeah. It's a nice game.

>> No.5327305

>>5326074
>The only NPC that you're forced to interact with is Neera
Wrong.
Rashaad does after you clear out the mines and get attacked by an assassin outside the inn.
Baeloth does once you hit the required level for him to spawn.
The only completely avoidable one (while still being able to roam anywhere) is Dorn who only gives you a forced interaction if you make the mistake of talking to him in the inn.

>> No.5327419

>>5327305
>Adds blackguard class kit.
>Adds NPC so you have no reason to ever roll a blackguard.

>> No.5327507

>>5309926
bards dont get casting progression the same as mages
a lot of people dont realize that they are less of a mage than a mage of the same level

>> No.5327519

>>5327507
On one hand, yes, but on the other, a Bard's level-scaling spells (like AoE nukes, such as Fireball) will generally last longer / deal more damage because they level up faster than Mages.

Bard is a very competent "blaster caster" for that reason, if you enjoy that sorta thing.

>> No.5327551

BG1
>imoen
>jaheira
>khalid
>kivan
>xan

BG2
>yoshima > imoen
>jaheira
>minsc
>valygar
>nalia
aerie might make more sense, but eh

>> No.5327574

>>5327519
>but on the other, a Bard's level-scaling spells (like AoE nukes, such as Fireball) will generally last longer / deal more damage because they level up faster than Mages.
Yeah.

At 2420000 experience, a bard casting tensers transformation would bring his base thac0 from 10 to 0.
While a Mage at 2420000 experience would bring his thac0 from 15 to 5.
Interestingly it happens to be 10 thac0 in both instances.

>> No.5327579

>>5327551
I think my first bg1 party may have been
>me as an Elf Mage
>Viconia
>Kivan
>Khalid
>Xan
>Imoen then Alora

>> No.5328359

What spells to select as a sorcerer in BG2? It's been a while since I've played and I don't want to fuck it up.

>> No.5328374

Is there an apr cap?

>> No.5328390

>>5328359
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Main.htm is a pretty solid reference guide for spells and their uses.

>> No.5328395

>>5328374
No matter what you do you aren't going past 10 attacks per round.
>>5328359
if you're not playing solo you can also just pick a certain flavor of what you want to focus on (sorcs are malleable and there have been successful sorcs based on blasting, battlefield control, polymorph etc.) and have any of the NPC mages supplement any missing pieces, so you don't have to study endlessly, merely use common sense and not pick Infravision.

Also Find Familiar is great but don't memorize it as a Sorcerer, find a scroll instead. Also Sleep is a great spell in BG1 and a dead slot as far as early BG2, so wager if you're okay with that (Blind or Spook might be a better long term solution).

>> No.5330216
File: 224 KB, 400x560, 1481996359621.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are some good mods for BG2?

>> No.5330328

Can anyone link me a torrent for baldurst gate 2 enchanced+ dragonspear? i can't find anything or is some bullshit modded as fuck shit.

>> No.5330330

>>5330216
aTweaks / Tweaks Anthology for quality of life stuff and minor cheats like being able to romance anyone regardless of sex or race, placing more bags of holding in certain containers if you hate inventory management, hiding helmets if you think they're ugly, etc.
Ascension is ToB Done Right by mixing in the ideas of a lead writer that didn't make the cut due to time constraints along with more epic battles. Ascension is harder than ToB, but ultimately more rewarding, with more interesting dialogues and expanding some stuff.
Sword Coast Stratagems is the best and most well-rounded AI / difficulty mod out there which you can modify and compose as you please. Less reliant on bullshit fights (compared with stuff like Tactics, Improved Battles / Anvil / Asylum) overall even with a full install, and you can just install the basic stuff that makes enemies act smarter and less exploitable. Nerfs some crutch items and spells like Shield of Balduran or Insect Plague, but only if you ask it to, so don't install blindly (as Big World Setup attempts to do).
Rogue Rebalancing is cool. It takes some of the Thief/Bard cheese by giving them more variety in options and some cool fluff variety but less straightforward power.
Item Upgrade offers a nice counterbalance to difficulty mods.
Unfinished Business restores cut content letting you decide if the content was worth cutting. Notably it gives Minsc a personal quest that ultimately gives him a nice buff.
Level One NPC lets you turn in-game NPCs into whatever class you desire, even illegal combos. You can already do that with Shadowkeeper but it's more convenient. You can also edit their proficiencies. Fun if you want IWD-style party creation but want to keep the banter.
I can't really recommend NPC mods because they tend to be annoying or of outstandingly low quality but I thought Kelsey and BG2 Xan were okay.
Edwin Romance has a component that gives romanced Viconia a happy, if somewhat cheesy, ending.

>> No.5330336
File: 165 KB, 487x410, 1512285677243.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5330328
>+ dragonspear

>> No.5330341

>>5330328
>i can't find anything or is some bullshit modded as fuck shit.
anon, the EE is literally BG with Widescreen Fix, BGT, a couple of fanfic NPC addons, some interface mods, new difficulty level, a stand-alone story addon, and redrawn cutscenes (for... some reason). You are probably downloading EE+SoD and are confused by these changes.

>> No.5330356

>>5330341
im not downloading anything because you didnt send me the link
>>5330336
whats wrong with it? from what i've heard is a chapter after tob.

>> No.5330360

>>5330356
>im not downloading anything because you didnt send me the link
go get spoonfed somewhere else

>> No.5330363

>>5330360
>hurr durr le secret club no harp u hurr durrr
you're a bag of shit

>> No.5330375

>>5330363
Look, I know you just heard of this place yesterday as the home of the illusive hacker known as 4chan, but we're not here to provide you free shit.

You wanna pirate be my guest, but FFS figure it out on your own.

Also, SoD doesn't come after TOB. It fits in between BG1 and 2. It also features some very mediocre writing and, IMO an uninspired plot.

>> No.5330380

>>5330375
>im old fag joo guise please rike me everyone else is noobie on 4chin but me keklel
you're a bag of shit

>> No.5330385
File: 67 KB, 540x509, 1547886277772.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5330363
>>5330380
And you're unoriginal.

>> No.5330386

>>5330385
>le secret club is my everything
you're a bag of shit

>> No.5330405

https://www.skidrowcodex.net/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-v2-5-plaza/

>> No.5330449

I need to finish BG2 one day. I want to get back into it but I'm so put of by Vampires/Level Drain.

I've also completely forgotten how to build a good Wizard.

>> No.5330469

>>5330449
>build wizard
that's just the shittiest thing to do, there's plenty of great wizard party members in the game, you should make something that you cant get.

>> No.5330483

>>5330469
>there's plenty of great wizard party members in the game
...Which doesn't really help me if I don't know how to build them (gear/spells/etc.).

>that's just the shittiest thing to do ... you should make something that you cant get
Nah. I don't like powergaming like that. I just roll the class I like to play, and use the NPCs I like to hear/see.

>> No.5330495

>>5330483
you seem to be very retarded, so youre gonna fit well around here.
>I don't know how to build them (gear/spells/etc.).
are you so retarded you can't read the descriptions? maybe you should give up d&d and play fortnite.

>> No.5330497

>>5330469
by that logic there's at least one strong party member of any class you'd want so you should play something like Monk or Barbarian and this guy wants his personal character to be a wizard
>>5330449
Wizard is easy to build (get good Intelligence; Constitution and Dex will help you survive; Wisdom is useful for the Wish spell) and maybe pick a specialization, only Abjurer, Transmuter, Diviner and maybe Enchanter are really hard to recommend but any Mage is a solid class) but Sorcerer is much better when you know what spells to pick (and if you make dubious choices at some points hire a backup mage from one of the NPCs to compliment your spellbook).

Alternately play Wild Mage if you don't mind the consequences of something going wrong / you savescum. Or try out a multiclass, Thief/Mages are fun to play (but Jan is already one), Cleric/Mages have the most spells. Could go dual but optimal ones don't play like Mages from the start.

You can't really fuck up a Mage build. Your Fighters might get proficiencies in weapons you don't actually want to use (like Long Bows, I guess; Mazzy starts with Short Swords which are nice at the start and kinda lackluster later, for example), but Mage can always edit his spellbook, rest and try new spells.

I'm currently running an Elven Enchanter in a heavily modded hardmode setup which is deliberately somewhat gimped because the opposed school is Evocation barring me from most of the cookie-cutter damage spells, so I mostly focus on supporting and debuffing. Lacking the Sequencer line of spells will suck but any Mage should be a very valid protag throughout the game.

IMHO just go for it. The bare minimum that a mage has to do is cast Haste on the party, Improved Haste on your frontliners and dispelling enemy protections, in my book. Anything else is up to flavor. I ran melee mages, nukers and currently an extremely specialized almost-zero-damage battlefield controller.

>> No.5330519

>>5330495
You seem like a nice person. Good talk.

>>5330497
I tend to play an F/M/T. I just don't understand how Breach and similar spells work. I remember reading a few years ago how they trivialize dragons but I never figured it out. I just did cheezy LOS abuse with arrows.

A couple months ago I started BG2 again and got to the first major Vampire lair, and was trying to use Breach and Pierce Magic and the like, and they just weren't working like they seemed to be supposed to. I made a thread about it at the time and no one really knew what to tell me. I wonder if it's archived somewhere.

I think I left off immediately after Spellhold. Got fatigued worrying about missables. Miss the game all the damn time though. I gotta get back into it eventually.

>> No.5330526

>>5330519
Tbh I suck at mages too. I never know what spells are good and just end up trying to fireball everything.

>> No.5330532

>>5330519
Breach just gets rid of spell protections like Stoneskin (there's a list in the spell description), and since dragons are basically giant winged mages, it's pretty effective against them since it strips layers of protection from them.

Idk what you were trying to dispel from the vampires but maybe you were actually trying.to Breach a Lich and Liches are immune to most spell effects below spell level 5. Or maybe you tried to fight the vampires with bad weapons. Or you were trying to Breach the wrong defensive spells.

It's hard to advise something on your particular conundrum, but there's plenty of ways to dealing with vampires in the game, including two weapons that have effects that pretty much eviscerate them.

If Level drain is your issue, pay Gaelan Bayle's 15000 gold as soon as you can to receive an Amulet of Power that immunizes you against the effect. Or prebuff with the appropriate cleric spell from a party member.

>> No.5330540

>>5330532
I managed to find the post:

>>/vr/thread/S4936085#p4942429

>> No.5330552

>>5330540
spreadsheets/d/1y7r2Z3FfZk74NdAVHuZuiNmWh14y1tAytNrsFMSY7zc/edit#gid=0 (hosted on google docs)

Here you go. Should clear it up. Ignore the part about SCS if you never installed the mod. The vanilla chart says it's for BG:EE but this chart should work handily for regular vanilla BG2.

How spells like Spell Turning work is that they absorb 12 levels of spells before they break, but any excess levels that go beyond the spell's defensive capacity are also absorbed. You fired three level five spells.
The first two made Spell Turning's defensive capacity to only be 2 levels (12 - 5 * 2 = 2). It can still stop a direct spell effect of any level, but it will break if you fire any spell with a level as low as 2 (say, Melf's Acid Arrow).
Breach, as you can see from the chart above, doesn't interact with Spell Turning in any way.

>> No.5330559

>>5330552
Well I said I was gonna shoot three Lv5 spells (I can't even remember what they were now), but after I did that Turning didn't pop, so I kept on casting at her, and it never went down. That's why I mentioned it then.

>Breach ... doesn't interact with Spell Turning in any way.
That's trippy. Thanks for the spreadsheet.

Would you recommend SCS? Is it easy to install and remove?

>> No.5330562

>>5330559
>Would you recommend SCS? Is it easy to install and remove?
I wrote about it in this post:
>>5330330
Historically BG mods are generally somewhat easy to uninstall and reinstall on their own, or to add new components, but what I'd be wary of is trying to do that if you built a gargantuan construction from multiple mods. Install order matters a lot when modding BG, so an uninstall order can also fuck it up.

>> No.5330567

>>5330562
I don't use any mods. I used to use, like, the cheesy mods like larger/infinite item stacks and no magic item wearing limitations. I've got TuTu for BG1, though.
I just don't want to have to reinstall the game to remove it if I decide I don't like it.

>> No.5330638

>>5330567
>cheesy mods like larger/infinite item stacks
I wouldn't call that cheesy. Just less annoying.

>> No.5330669
File: 123 KB, 210x330, Garrick_GARRICK_Portrait_BG1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I always thought bards were shit but maybe I will use one in my next run, any hint about how to use them efficiently?
I always play vanilla without kits in BG1 or mods of any kind.

>> No.5330698

>>5330669
They're a weird hybrid of fighter, mage and thief and as such can be pretty much be treated as a f/m multiclass that gets tons of lore, pickpocketing and thief HLAs (if you play that far).
The bardsong works as a Resist Fear spell on demand but is otherwise a waste of the bards time to use.

Also, their fast leveling rate makes them entirely better than mages at some xp milestones.

>> No.5330709

>>5330567
Then create a second BG folder for mod testing, because SCS takes a long ass time to install.
Also there's nothing cheesy in reducing useless and tedious inventory management. I use stacks of 120 for ammo, fuck 'purists' whining about the great tactical depth of managing stacks of 20 or 40, they clearly haven't done it enough.

>> No.5330845

>>5330669
In BG1 a vanilla bard is pretty strong, you just don't ever actually sing because it's not good. You can fire a bow okay, use a wand, provide casting support. This adds up to a surprisingly huge damage potential.

In BG2 you get much better and all the three available kits are solid although Blade is generally the best. You can be a solid combatant as any of them if you equip +1 APR weapons (three of them in BG2, one of them virtually only usable by high-level Bards and Thieves) and self-cast Improved Haste.

So yeah, overall Bards have a solid power curve through the saga (although nothing of the highest possible tier and potential), BG1 just fools you into thinking you're supposed to stand there and sing when it doesn't do jack shit.

>> No.5330976

>>5330330
Good post. Would upvote.

Also, Dungeon-Be-Gone to skip the starting dungeon if you're playing for the nth time.

>> No.5331029

>>5330330
10/10 post, would add 1ppv4 because pretty much everything they did looks absolutely great and NPC stronghold because it's a lot of fun to give stronghold to companions, really well-written and their behavior is completely in-character for all the companions i've tried so far.

>> No.5331303 [DELETED] 

>>5330552
>Breach, as you can see from the chart above, doesn't interact with Spell Turning in any way
Important warning, this is only true in the Enhanced Edition, where Breach functionning is retarded because it doesn't interact with a spell immunity abjuration either.
I have no idea if this is a bug or an intentional mind-bogglingly stupid design choice, but the only spell that can actually block Breach in the EE is, for some reason, spell shield, which is normally supposed to help against secret words, spell thrusts and ruby rays.
In the original BG2, even with SCS, Breach will get blocked by a spell turning and a spell deflection, even minor ones. It also won't get through a spell immunity abjuration, but it won't interact in any way with Spell Shield.
Making a complete dispel of spell protections hard to bypass to hit a mage. Whereas you can almost completely ignore them in the EE.

>> No.5331321

>>5330552
>Breach, as you can see from the chart above, doesn't interact with Spell Turning in any way
Important, this is only true in the Enhanced Edition.
Even with SCS, in the original BG2, a Spell Turning and a Spell Deflection (even minor ones) will both block Breach. Spell Immunity Abjuration and Spell Shield also will (I thought the latter didn't in the original but it actually does).
I don't know if Breach bypassing spell turning is an intentional mind-bogglingly stupid choice or a bug though, but in any case a lot of enemy mages in the original with SCS will take an additional two secret words to become vulnerable to breach. Which isn't a big deal in the later stages of the game, but can change some earlier encounters quite a bit, especially if you helplessly spam breaches that don't work.

>> No.5331378
File: 2.23 MB, 1600x900, Baldr191.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In between the-EE-fucking-sucks and build autism we might sometimes forget that BG2 looks ridiculously good.
What are the best looking locations?

>> No.5331693

>>5330845
>>5330669
That's really helpful, thanks. Also what could be better, gnome, halfling or dwarf? I only play midgets.

>> No.5331704
File: 162 KB, 640x480, Baldr000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5331378
I always liked this tiny place, don't ask me why. It didn't serve any purpose either, except to show you the place that appeared in the intro.

>> No.5331708

>>5330449
>scrolls of protection from undead
>that one paladin kit
>various magic items

several ways around that problem

>> No.5331709
File: 1.36 MB, 1680x1050, asdfasdferfefefefef.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5331378
I saved several from the last time I played

>> No.5331716
File: 1.24 MB, 1680x1050, enge.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5331709

>> No.5331719
File: 891 KB, 1680x1050, star trek room.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5331716

>> No.5331723
File: 2.13 MB, 1680x1050, twisted rune 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5331719

>> No.5331734
File: 2.78 MB, 1680x1050, twisted rune 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5331723

>> No.5331738
File: 389 KB, 1680x1050, Cool Runes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5331734

>> No.5331782

>>5331719
>star trek
bounce the graviton particle beam
off the mad the lum machine

>> No.5331868
File: 1.89 MB, 1600x900, Baldr239.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A few from watcher's keep/tob

>> No.5331872
File: 1.44 MB, 1600x900, Baldr196.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5331876
File: 1.58 MB, 1600x900, Baldr176.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5331884
File: 1.74 MB, 1600x900, Baldr182.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5331909

>>5331321
>Even with SCS, in the original BG2, a Spell Turning and a Spell Deflection (even minor ones) will both block Breach
Not for me. I'm playing the original BG2 and my Breach bypassed Tenova's Spell Turning, which is what prompted him posting that doc.

>> No.5331919
File: 1.53 MB, 1600x900, Baldr225.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Temple of waukeens are probably the best, although they really all look great.

>> No.5331923
File: 2.29 MB, 1600x900, Baldr025.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

And Athkatla is really the best looking city ever put in a game

>> No.5331929
File: 1.84 MB, 1600x900, Baldr228.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

especially at night

>> No.5331937

>>5331923
>you'll never walk along that path during a fullmoon with a hooded viconia, then hold her hand as she lets down her hood

>> No.5331948
File: 990 KB, 1600x900, it's like one of my japanese animes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5331937
pls don't remind me

>> No.5331993
File: 44 KB, 251x231, 1476137362561.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5331937
>>TFW when you'll never cuck your friend who died.

>> No.5332036

>>5331909
yeah youre right, it's indeed SCS changing Breach behavior, my bad.

>> No.5332105

>mfw flesh to stone never works
>mfw stone to flesh never works either
is there a more useless set of spells?

>> No.5332112

>>5332105
x3 infravision chain contingency

>> No.5332120
File: 64 KB, 630x105, makesmefeellikeanoldhousewifereadinganeroticnovelforthefirsttime.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5331948
>>5331993

>> No.5332124

how can i replay baldurs gate if i already know the dialogs, trap locations, plots and whatnot?

>> No.5332129

>>5332124
the answer is always scs ascension tactics insane no save no reload no potions 7 CON jester

>> No.5332135

>>5332129
>7 CON jester
me irl

>> No.5332138

>>5332135
100% immersive run

>> No.5332141

whats the most comfy type of enemy to slay?
i kinda like motherfucking curbstomping drows, they are nigger elves.
>the drow rule supreme
lol what a bunch of nigglets

>> No.5332143

>>5332135
snickered at that.
I know that feel. That's like what? 4 HP at 1st level?

>> No.5332147

>>5332143
you dumdums
7 con is still +0

>> No.5332148

>>5332141
Shambling Mounds. they're like squishy bugs.
Or Mindflayers and Beholders. They're so satisfying to beat because it takes a while.

>> No.5332152

>>5332147
I don't care for the math and the specifications. I got you nerds to tell me that.

>> No.5332154

>>5332141
SCS Ust Natha slaughter/escape best fight in the game, 10/10 would genocide again (and did, multiple times).

>> No.5332157

this games suck ass
>go through a lot of crap to create char
>sit through a fucking long dialog
>a wild goblins appears
>point and click to attack
>miss
>miss
>miss
>critical miss
wish i could unstall this from everyone's pc

>> No.5332160

>>5332143
>>5332152
that's one shot death from right out of candlekeep up until amelyssan, if you don't hang yourself first.

>> No.5332165

>>5332157
I love how "miss miss miss" becomes a meme in every game with a to-hit combat system.

>> No.5332167

>>5332157
>wish i could unstall this from everyone's pc
sorry, your wis is too low

>> No.5332168

>>5330449
>I want to get back into it but I'm so put of by Vampires/Level Drain.

>Get Viconia/Anomen/some other cleric douche
>Cast Restoration on Level Drained Char

wow, that was hard

>> No.5332183

I think I'm gonna dual class a mage at lvl 6 into a fighter.

Thoughts on specialist?
Would have the first 3 circles, so I'm thinking Illusionist, would lose out on Horror which I think could be useful though.
If it wasn't for find familiar that I'd get in bg2 I'd probably go Diviner.
Maybe Conjurer could be fine, but I don't want to lose out on identify.

>> No.5332189

>>5332183
you might as well go multi class and run an elf fighter/mage.

dual class to fighter seems like ass. dual class to mage and start out as a fighter seems much smarter.

>> No.5332191

>>5332183
>dual class
>not actually good in any
retard

>> No.5332193

>>5332183
>Maybe Conjurer could be fine, but I don't want to lose out on identify.

specialists are faggots so go generalist and Edwin is already a conjurer anyway.

>> No.5332220

>>5332189
I don't want to be so caster heavy, considered dualing at lvl 2 even.
I want to master the quarterstaff and use staff of the magi eventually.
I'll probably keep one of the Watcher helmets from candlekeep throughout the game.

>>5332191
You don't have to be a Kensai>Mage every game

>>5332193
Naeh I'll be some kind of specialist.
Right I forgot about the saving throw bonus when I made the post.
Which school is it most useful to get extra saving throws vs?

>> No.5332224
File: 49 KB, 596x628, ed7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5332167

>> No.5332228

>>5332167
>gets condemned to an eternity of compulsory behavior forcing him to show up at people's houses to check if they have bladur's gate installed

>> No.5332236

>>5332228
>make retarded post
>get condemned to an eternity in hell
retard

>> No.5332241

>>5332236
oh no

>> No.5332249

Are there any mods, or anything I can do with the console commands, to play BG2 without any plot involvement?

I basically want to just do what I could in BG1 -- roll a character, give myself whatever gear/spells I want, pick a direction, and start walking.

>> No.5332251

>>5332249
no.

>> No.5332253

>>5332249
Have you heard of this game called Icewind Dale?

>> No.5332257

>>5332253
I tried playing IWD2 but I don't like it. I want to play BG2, I just want it to be more free-form. I want to be able to see all the areas on the map without having to trigger their appearance, at least.

>> No.5332259

>>5332257
no.

>> No.5332262

>>5332257
or I don't know, move yourself there with the console commands if you really can't bear pressing enter really fast, but I don't know how broken your game will end up being with the underdark, spellhold, etc.

>> No.5332265

>>5332251
>>5332259
Well, that's a bummer.

There's got to be some way to flag areas as already discovered, and most events to have already happened. I think Gatekeeper or one of them has a way to mess with that stuff, but you have to actually know what flags you're looking for...

>> No.5332267

>>5332257
>tried playing IWD2 but I don't like it. I want to play BG2, I just want it to be more free-form.
Then play Icewind Dale 1.

Icewind Dale 1, Baldurs Gate 1 and Baldurs Gate 2 are all based on the same system, 2nd edition d&d.

Icewind Dale 2 is based on 3rd.

>> No.5332341

icewind dale1 and 2 are garbage

>> No.5332343

why dragons are unbeatable without pierce magic?
why dragons are so easy to beat after pierce magic?

>> No.5332351

>>5332341
you're garbage

>>5332343
I killed the red dragon so fast it was pathetic
I just prebuffed and melee'd him to death in seconds

>> No.5332352

>>5332343
because you wasted your level 6 spell slots by not going full improved haste

>> No.5332357

>>5332351
>projecting
you're garbage

>> No.5332376

>>5332351
>>5332357
Jesus Christ am I in 3rd grade again?

>> No.5332379

>>5332376
yeah this kid >>5332351 is a garbage fagit

>> No.5332382

>make mage
>get as many party memembers mage as possible
>instantly slay everything with a fireball shower
easy peasy game

>> No.5332416

>>5332357
>>5332376
>>5332379
tasty butthurt

>> No.5332442

>>5332416
>projecting
you're garbage

>> No.5332490
File: 1.08 MB, 680x887, 1542701824498.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5330380
>>5332442

>> No.5332541
File: 327 KB, 1366x768, bg2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

u jelly of my roll, bro?

>> No.5332546

>>5332490
you're a bag of shit

>> No.5332550

>>5332541
No because Strength is the most easily fixable attribute in the game and your Dex and Con are bad. 18/00 is utterly unnecessary.

>> No.5332556
File: 1.16 MB, 1222x1014, half elf dagger fighter.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5332550
this
18/anything with good dex and con is better than 18/00 with not so good dex and con

but honestly as long as you have potions you could have 10/10/10 and be fine

>> No.5332558

>>5332550
>jelly

>> No.5332559

>>5332541
No not at all.
18 in dex+Cont is more important, and you can easily get 18 in all 3, not sure how hard 18/00+18+18 is, but it shouldn't be that bad.
And like other anon said it is easy to improve your strength.

You're not serious though and I'm just a buzzkill for responding seriously?

>> No.5332569

>>5332559
for a paladin thats almost impossible because charisma is minimum 17
rolling a perfect str + 2 max stats without reducing char would take ages, and even if you get you would probably reroll again by mistake

>> No.5332581

Is there a way to get melee to-hit rolls bound to Dex instead of Strength?

>> No.5332585

>>5332581
no, unless there is a mod for it

>> No.5332586

>>5332581
In BG2*, sorry.

>> No.5332595

>>5332569
ah okay, I thought wrong.

How does the stat rolling work in baldurs gate anyway? Either way you look at it 18/00+18+18 as a pala is hard I get, but still curious.

Rolls once for each stat between min and max?
Then 1/100 that the strength is at 18/00?

>> No.5332607

>>5332595
rolls are 3 six sided dices for each stat

>> No.5332729

>>5332595
My best roll for paladin in bg2 was 18/XX str, 18 dex, 18 con, 8 int, 13 wis, 17 con. Took about an hour.

>> No.5332741

>>5332729
They make an auto roller that just rolls the dice for you.

>> No.5332743
File: 338 KB, 640x480, paladin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5332729
took me a minute to get like a minute to get 18-18-18

3 minutes to get yours -1, and 6 minutes to match it.

>> No.5332745
File: 223 KB, 530x463, paladin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5332729
took me 30 seconds of clicking

>> No.5332749

>>5332745
h-he's fast

genuinely 'mirin

>> No.5332762
File: 113 KB, 320x248, ah_ah_ah.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5332745
>EE roll screen

>>>/v/

>> No.5332778
File: 73 KB, 576x768, 7mdl5xwxj5z11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5332762
Bah. No one likes /v/. If I wanted cancer I'd just inject myself with radioactive material.

I'm stealing your .gif though.

>> No.5332803
File: 519 KB, 640x480, pretty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone know if this portrait is based on anyone in particular?
I think she's pretty.

>> No.5332856

Another BG2 quesyion:

How do I de-level a character to import into a fresh playthrough? If I use something like Gatekeeper it just arbitrarily sets my level to whatever while leaving all my derived stats as they were.

>> No.5332916

I wish the resources were better organized and more complete, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Are there any other alignment restricted items than these?
>Not Good
Two Handed Sword +4: Soul Reaver
>Only Good
Throwing Axe +3: Azuredge
>Only Evil
Leather +5: Human Flesh

and drizzts good sword from bg1, and the robes of the archmagi?

>> No.5332945
File: 339 KB, 640x480, buildingacivilizationwithoutluxuries.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thinking about spreading them between cha and wis

>> No.5332947

>>5332916
Would Carsomyr and Ir'revrykal count?

>> No.5332949

>>5332916
Neb's Nasty Cutter is only evil

>> No.5332951

>>5332947
>Carsomyr
No, Paladins have to be lawful good, but it's not the alignment that keeps the item restricted.
Afaik, unless the item guides are wrong.
>Ir'revrykal count?
Yes, I don't play EE though.

Thanks.

>> No.5332956

>>5332949
Thanks, that one was completely missing in the gamefaqs list I used.

>> No.5333046 [DELETED] 

Fuck finally im done rolling.
Is the low int gonna affect the dialogs?

Also, what skills should i het, ill go 2 hand sword - 2 hand weapons, and what else should i pick? i still have 2 points left.

>> No.5333048
File: 127 KB, 617x467, fuckrerollin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fuck finally im done rolling.
Is the low int gonna affect the dialogs?

Also, what skills should i het, ill go 2 hand sword - 2 hand weapons, and what else should i pick? i still have 2 points left.

>> No.5333052

>>5333048
>Is the low int gonna affect the dialogs?
This isn't Torment.

>> No.5333061

>>5333048
a ranged weapon would be nice

Axes or Daggers for their throwing versions.
Or just a bow.
iirc shortbows are better than longbows.

>> No.5333073

>>5333048
I usually like my int to be at least 11 so I can survive more than two hits from a mind flayer, but otherwise I don't think it matters much for a melee character.

I would suggest crossbows or halberds. There is an awesome crossbow in watchers keep which you can buy (fire tooth I think). There is also a ridiculous halberd in ToB (ravager I think).

>> No.5333078
File: 416 KB, 640x480, spells.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Which spells do you tend to start with?
I want charm to get platemails from the watchers

>> No.5333106

How is playing multiplayer in these games? Is it fun?
I just started playing Icewind Dale and I love it.

>> No.5333107

>>5333073
i took long bow. i remember the game having that cartoon bow with infinite arrows

>> No.5333109

>>5333106
>multiplayer
lol go eat a bowl of fuck

>> No.5333115

>>5333109
why? also can it be that bows are pretty OP in icewind dale, while shields are totally underpowered?

>> No.5333120

>>5333048
>Fuck finally im done rolling.
Rolling anything beyond best/5 is cheating.
I really don't get why there isn't a limit to rolling in these games.

>> No.5333134

>playing multiracial parties
i just can't do this, it feels so wrong, i'm an elf nazi all the way

>> No.5333141

>>5333106
I've enjoyed it alot.
Miss it even.

Played a bit of bg1, bg2ToB and icewind dale multiplayer.

To maintain bg2 banter some friends edited existing characters for their custom characters, like they made Aerie an Archer.
I think that's the way to do it if not playing iwd.

>> No.5333145
File: 611 KB, 640x480, platefordays.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5333194

>>5333109
Sorry I have friends, anon.

>> No.5333380

>>5333120
Because stats are worthless, so stick your cheating up your ass.

>> No.5333407

>>5333141
>To maintain bg2 banter some friends edited existing characters for their custom characters, like they made Aerie an Archer.
>I think that's the way to do it if not playing iwd.
You can do that from the game-level (instead of playing around in an editor on a save file, necessitating quitting the game to edit) with the aforementioned Level One NPC mod. Just a heads up.

>> No.5333463

That guy who throws a scimitar at your head when you enter the docks... what the fuck was his problem?

>> No.5333467

>>5333463
Go ask around at the temple in the slums and find out

>> No.5333645

so, back in the day, I found an easter egg in bg2, and another in fallout, that I've never seen anybody else talk about online

the bg2 one is in the background noise at trademeet during the day
the fallout one is something related to the sheriff of the hub

>> No.5333660

>>5333645
Guess no one has still talked about what they are online

>> No.5333724

>>5333660
here's that attention you were looking for

>> No.5333736

>>5333724
Retard

>> No.5333741
File: 106 KB, 612x491, c7c.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5303875
Lads I just went into a 5 minute meltdown because I realised I had left Soego's skull on Morte when he got kidnapped and that I had to kill some other powerful NPC for a skull without my best fighter, give up on Morte entirely or reload a save which is just before even going to Pharod's cuck kingdom. I checked the on the internet and it seems Morte dropped his items when he got stolen. Thank fucking god I was starting to think some alien force prevented me from completing the game and deleted my saves or made me lost my interest in the game when I get to Curst. Was starting to have flashbacks of me in Fallout dropping or selling the holodisk I realised I needed the moment I started talking with the Master.

Btw can anyone tell me how Ultima VII, a game 5 years older than Fallout, the BG games and Planescape which are slightly newer than Fallout just destroy the first game's sidequests so fucking hard?

>> No.5333745

>>5304192
>Yoshimo
My man the Yosh dabbed on Firkraag with traps so fucking hard that I only had to make Jaheira spam several lbolts with her staff to kill the fucker (nothing else damaged him at that moment).

>> No.5333749

I bought the NWN:EE on sale when it was 5 euros because I really wanted to try out the PWs. Am I a bad person for feeding the Beamdog international jewry, lads?

>> No.5333768

>>5333749
Yes you're a bad person

>> No.5333783

>>5333749
think for yourself anon
though I will give you a hint that buying a corporate product is probably several tiers below racketeering, tampering with witnesses and genocide

>> No.5333854

how do i fix screen tearing and have 3d acceleration on
if i turn on v-sync from my graphics card it doesn't work with 3d acceleration, and the game flickers so i have to turn it off
i have a shitty 60hz monitor

>> No.5333870

So, I've decided to replay BGT one more time.
I've decided to go bold, installed BG NPCPack mod and fairly accidently initiated a romance with Dynaheir.

What have I gotten myself into?
And why?

>> No.5333917

>>5333870
>dynaheir
based and witchpilled
don't let her break your hips with her 16 con

>> No.5334070
File: 233 KB, 568x590, 1487867929845.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Speaking of PWs in NWN:EE anyone have hard time progressing in Ravenloft if you lot play/ed in it? I am stuck in a low level area rn where mobs dont give me exp anymore but the adjacent areas' mobs destroy my shit. My only source of exp now is RPing and it's not like I have anything to tell the people I am RPing with since I am sitting on my ass all day.

Also why are the quests in PWs shit I expected Runescape tier quests or something similar when stuff like immersion and a living and rich world is thrown around.

>> No.5334250

>>5333645
>the bg2 one is in the background noise at trademeet during the day
oh, the office space reference?

don't know the fallout one

>> No.5334693

Why are there no good romance mods for BG1 or BG2? There's just 'so bad it's entertaining' shit like Saerileth or Imoen mod.

>> No.5334702

>>5334693
Because writing a good romance without making it corny is harder than people think.

>> No.5335319

>>5334693
Imoen and Saerileth are fucking memes.

There are some decent romance mods. And by "decent" I mean "better than an abomination that are EE companion romances". Isra is alright, if bland as fuck IMO. She has no emotional baggage or drama and is non-confrontational to the extreme.

I haven't tried BG NPCProject romances, but I heard claims that Dynaheir is decent in kinda weird.
I also like De'Arnise romance and wish it was finally given ToB content. It's cutesy, but fits the overall tone of the game.
And I'll admit - original BG2 romances were kinda corny. But that's why I like them I guess.

>> No.5335554

>>5333749
well, yeah, it's not like the community mods didn't already make it look better but at least you like NWN. now get NWN2 Complete. Shit is good.

>> No.5335575

I'm gonna get shit for that.
EET with EE companions and content disabled or BGT?

I guess that EET is more up to date mod-wise and is easier and quicker to mod.

On the other hand the thought of supporting Beamdog makes me unclean.

>> No.5335582

>>5335575
pirate it?

>> No.5335706

>>5335575
>I guess that EET is more up to date mod-wise and is easier and quicker to mod.
No and no.

>> No.5335795

>>5335575
BGT is built in a somewhat archaic way where some of the solutions to problems concerning a BG1-to-2 conversion are off. Most notably monster spawns. According to a guy I know who transitioned from modding work to EE development fixing these problems was one of their top priorities when they made their own 1-to-2 mechanical conversion. EE retains some degree of gameplay fidelity over BGT on this particular matter. BGT, generally, receives the impression of a venerable project and a noble effort that is also a bit of a mess relying on workarounds.

On the other hand, when it comes to modding EE, it can be a hassle to ensure you won't get an autoupdate to sneak up on you every so often, which screws with mod files unless you turn that off and play unpatched for a while, plus EE to this day has multiple performance problems that are generally underreported, mostly having to do with huge, HUGE loading times on certain machines (that aren't at all potatoey).

EET being "more up-to-date mod-wise" is only true insofar as more and more modders are creating content exclusively for EE nowadays, but the core good stuff like SCS/Ascension is still relevant to regular BGT and that won't change for the next few years. But "more up-to-date modwise" doesn't strike me as particularly notably so, unless you count EE-specific QoL updates like the easy trash pickups from multiple corpses in the same area or the better widescreen fix.

If it bothers you so much, just pirate it. Either way, there aren't that many differences. I check it out every few years and I have more hours on my BGT install still.

>> No.5335815

Anyone here who ever did a BG or Icewind Dale permadeath run on Insane difficulty?

Is this doable for a noob to these games or do you have to know the games inside out?

>> No.5335846

>>5335815
>Anyone here who ever did a BG or Icewind Dale permadeath run on Insane difficulty?
We had 1-2 anons in the last BG thread who attempted this challenge with some mods, there is a no-reload tradition in the BG community since BioWare forums, and there's a Twitch streamer who documents his own attempts.
>Is this doable for a noob to these games or do you have to know the games inside out?
Well, it's doable to a noob in the same sense as Nethack is perfectly doable to the guy who learns through endless trial and error that eating a cockatrice or medusa kills you.
Most of the time, you can scout (with a thief, ranger or Invisibility) ahead for any combat encounters.
If you're a complete noob, main concern in BG1 is not dying to random bandit ambushes (keep sources of Invisibility on main character to bail). BG2 puts the infamous mage chess into overdrive and you will have to somehow establish on your own how all the defensive spells interact and how to dispel protections.

Otherwise I don't really think the BG series has any out-of-the-blue bullshit deaths that you couldn't have prevented with more prep. It's also less reliant on the "never ever get hit" philosophy than permadeath runs in Fallout 1/2, for instance.

Personally if you're a complete noob to these games, I'd play on Core first. Insane requires you to calculate incoming damage better as everything is x2, and you probably could use knowing the shortest route to fast XP gains, beneficial sidequests and where all the NPCs are since in some cases the NPCs can get permakilled as well, and the fast levelling in the early game will allow you to build up a HP reserve and learn defensive spells if you're a spellcaster.

Alternately, play in a "low-death" mode where you record every death that happens to you (every single one, so that you don't start getting complacent and lazy) and just play as if you were no-reloading, complete with any failed quests or dead NPCs. That's also a fun, valid way to play.

>> No.5335853

>>5335815
Thought about doing permadeath run on iwd, but with replacing the characters with new characters.
New ones would be lvl 1.

>> No.5335858

>>5335846
>Alternately, play in a "low-death" mode
Yea, I was thinking about this too.
I just can't really enjoy games without any real challenge, but at the same time, playing RPGs with permadeath is just so frustrating due to their length that it's also not really fun to restart constantly.

>> No.5335860

>>5335858
>I just can't really enjoy games without any real challenge
Then perhaps maybe mix a low-death run with a low-level install of Sword Coast Stratagems, mostly to improve the enemy AI, eliminate some of the cheese and give spellcasters several new tricks, then. Just don't install every single component at once. BG is generally one of the better tactical games out there, the right mods only make it richer on that front.

>> No.5335868

>>5335860
I actually only play Icewind Dale atm. Just finished creating a bunch of characters and tried a run on insane, but already died in the first orc cave.

BG looks liek too much story to me, which is not really my cup of tea.

>> No.5335872

>>5335868
>BG looks liek too much story to me
Understood, but if you don't care for the story, you can mostly skip it and play it like a team-based hack'n'slash as well. And BG+SCS is a better combat experience than IWD, in my opinion.

>> No.5335906

We all know that PS:T is praised for its storyline and writing but can we talk about the sidequests? IMO one of the best in CRPGs though I wish they were less straightforward like the quest with Ingress, getting into Pharod's vault, busting Soego etc

>> No.5335917

OK - you may call me a pleb to your hearts desire, but how the fuck do I defeat Silke with SCS installed?

The bitch kinda reminded herself that she's a 10th level bard and starts the encounter by throwing Stoneskin and Blur, pretty much preventing me from distupting her concentration and afterwards spells like Sleep and Hold Person and then murders me with a shitton of offensive spells.

And good luck finding Dispel Magic to counter Stoneskin at level 2. Thalantyr doesn't sell it.

My level 2-3 standard party (Conjurer MC, Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen, Viccy and Kagain) is usually unable to counter her without cheesing or pure dumb luck.

Am I not supposed to fight her this early on with SCS? The rest of the mage fights in SCS are usually pretty well balanced (I think it was only Khark in Firewine Bridge that gave me this much of a pause) but this random cunt stops me in my tracks everytime.

>> No.5335967

>>5335917
>10th level bard Stoneskin
You need to land 5 attacks to break it. Sleep won't work cause she's too high level, but Charm, Command and Blind should work if she fails the saving throw. Imoen's Wand of Magic Missiles should be a guaranteed way of breaking her spellcasts if timed correctly, as well as Xzar's Chill Touch (from scroll) can go through Stoneskin (and it lasts a turn and touch spells have intrinsic -4 THAC0, so not too shabby at low level).

Her spell repertoire doesn't protect her from AoE or most forms of magic damage, so if you can try to use a wand (fire, of the heavens or of cold) or a potion (firebreath) or perhaps stock up on level 1 scrolls to nuke her down in one sitting. You can also attempt to use a Scroll of Web. Elemental arrows if you have any.

Otherwise, I'd spread everyone so that Sleep can only affect 1-2 people at a time and fire with Bows until Stoneskin falls.

But yeah, SCS is basically the developer looking at stuff like Silke being a 10th level bard for story reasons and then going like "You know what, she really doesn't *act* like one". 10th level spellcaster against a party of level 1s is gonna be a challenge no matter how you cut it.

>> No.5336039

>description says kensai gets +1 thac0 every 3rd level
>this is true between levels 9 and 18
>presumably on lvl 3 and 6 too
>after 18 the next bonus isn't on level 21 though, but on 20
>then it keeps doing every 3rd from that point
It's at the cutoff from SoA and ToB experience, so someone made a mistake or they wanted the first possible level during ToB to have the bonus

>> No.5336071

>>5335967
Thanks for the advice - seriously. I kinda forgot that MM in theory should go through Stoneskin.

Of course she immediately decided to cast Greater Invisibility on herself on top of a Stoneskin and all I have to counter it at the moment is Glitterdust. But it's a progress.

Which begs the question why the fuck Sarevok never figured out to hire her into his little gang of murderhobos. She's just one level below Semaj, Tazok and Angelo.

>> No.5336092

>>5336071
>Which begs the question why the fuck Sarevok never figured out to hire her into his little gang of murderhobos. She's just one level below Semaj, Tazok and Angelo.
Because I'm assuming BW's original design was there to ensure she has plenty of hit dice, is immune to Sleep, and can be a proficient spellcaster, so they gave her an artificial level that didn't really reflect her abilities much. Plus all the evil people probably have their own agenda, and Silke was a travelling minstrel, not an assassin for hire.

>> No.5336361
File: 28 KB, 499x481, de15df26e9bf61c4f5672a08dc60a50b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw in BG:I I memed Sarevok to death using Imoen to kite him with a Wand of Magic missile
>tfw in BG:II I memed Firkraag to death with traps and wands
>tfw in NWN I memed the lich in Act:II to death by baiting his skeleton guards and then going back and kiting him with Wands again

Am I a cheap faggot

>> No.5336438

>>5336361
Well, I managed to kill Amelyssan with traps.
The dumb bitch keeps teleporting onto the same spot in the middle of the map after every phase of the battle to taunt me.
All I had to do was to set a shitton of high level traps onto that spot and she essentially killed herself.

I also gave my assassin Cloak of Mirroring and cheerfully waited for Irenicus's buffs at the Tree of Life to wear off, while my party was busy shooting shit and sharing life stories. After that I one-shotted him with x7 backstab. Fun times.

>> No.5336457

>>5336361
My first NWN character was a Halfling Rogue that dumped STR because I was oblivious to how much shit in that game is immune to sneak attack, so my daggers barely licked anything. I had massive problems with clearing groups of trash, but on the other hand I would also utterly crush bosses. Stacking traps allows you to nuke Morag, Maugrim, Aribeth, unnerfed Klauth and Belial.

>> No.5336478

>>5336361
>>5336438
>>5336457
tbqh the ability to cheese bosses in DnD games is one of my favourite aspects and it shows the creativity and freedom of choice in them

>> No.5336583

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U2732JmMk8&t=0s&index=458&list=PLirYGrC8-wJ8VdFvAEA5d_uqs3xM1tuaX&ab_channel=TantrisOST

>> No.5337767
File: 2.04 MB, 1366x768, IMG_8502.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5336583
Listening when playing IWD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1BsKIP4uYM&t=1870s&app=desktop&persist_app=1

>> No.5337852

Fuck fuck why is Planescape so kino up to Curst

>> No.5337905

>>5332541
>wasting time getting an 18/00 when you're going to put on a strength belt or stat tomb anyway
Well, that's a waste.

>> No.5337938

>>5335795
>as more and more modders are creating content exclusively for EE nowadays
disgusting

>> No.5338015

>>5337938
It's shit anyway, all the good stuff has been done a while ago

>> No.5338301

>>5338015
>mfw no gay Keldorn romance. No hot pally-daddy action.

>> No.5338348

>>5338301
>paladins
>ever homo

>> No.5338378

>>5338348
Of course they would be. Immunity to disease is a great boon to have when going bareback anal.

>> No.5338382

>>5338378
any homosexual behavior would instantly cause the paladin to fall

>> No.5338402

I have a question regarding my NWN2 playthrough, although I guess it's really about character builds in D&D 3.5, hope it's not too far off topic:

I gave my cleric 10 int +0 because I didn't think skills would be important, but with only one point into concentration each level, his spells fail ~40% of the time. Should I reroll?

>> No.5338474

>>5338382
Doesn't say so in any of the AD&D 2E books and it's highly unlikely considering that Forgotten Realms is largely the brainchild of Ed "My self-insert OC regularly enjoys a hippie sexual paradise while genderbent" Greenwood.

>> No.5338490

>>5338474
fun fact: elminster and his associates never do anything gay, despite the gender swapping

>> No.5338503

>>5304328
GOG has the classic versions available that run perfectly on modern hardware. Play those versions.

>> No.5338538

You guys ever use gate/shadowkeeper to make odd characters?
It was a couple years ago but I made a monk/cleric multiclass character that was a ton of fun to play

>> No.5338557

>>5338490
fun fact: nothing says paladins fall when gay
also fairly certain elmo enjoyed lesbian sex when he was a woman

>> No.5338572

>>5338557
>nothing says paladins fall when gay
>willingly committing an evil act

>fairly certain elmo enjoyed lesbian sex when he was a woman
do you have proof?

>> No.5338575

>>5338572
b8

>> No.5338587

>>5338575
butthurt faggot
but I guess you gays like butthurt, dontcha

>> No.5338619

>>5338382
no

>> No.5338621

>>5338503
They only have the classics available if you buy the EEs if I remember correctly. Despite the memeing the EEs are perfectly fine. They save you the trouble of installing widescreen mods and they fix some issues with the game. Get em on sale for $5

>> No.5338721

>>5304328
Just download versions that aren't labeled Enhanced Edition and you should be on the right track.

>> No.5338940

>>5304328
Free gog pc games, baldur's gate original saga and baldur's gate 2 complete
shit should be pinned

>> No.5338950

>>5338621
>download these enhanced editions, it adds a bunch of garbage no one likes and it will save you those precious 30 seconds needed to install the widescreen mod, isn't that great?
No.

>> No.5339015

>>5338950
Npcs you can ignore.
Better minimap
Zoom
Better questlog
Level drain doesn't unmemorize your spells.

You're butthurt because Amber Scott's a cunt.

>> No.5339034

>>5339015
>Npcs you can ignore.
no

>> No.5339059

>>5339034
The only one that talks to you is Neera and I just tell her to fuck off.

>> No.5339102
File: 720 KB, 840x330, baldursgateromances.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Say they didn't just care about sex and race when it came to romance, but they also cared about strength, cha, etc.

What kinda of man/woman would they prefer?
What would their cutoff point be if any, what kind of class would be their ideal?

>> No.5339125

>>5339102
Aerie would want a strong man to keep her safe. Small penis big muscles.

>> No.5339638

Just lost my 2nd character in my permadeath Insane difficulty run.
I don't know if I can still make it with only 4 characters... should I just reload so that I have at least 5 characters?

>> No.5339652

>>5339638
How far in are you and who do you have left?
Smaller parties = more exp per character so as long as you still have a balanced party it *might* be salvageable.
You're not likely to make it on your first run anyway unless you know the game back to front and have well planned strategies for how to get through everything.

>> No.5339665

>>5339652
>How far in are you
I play Icewind Dale, and I'm still at Chapter 1: The Vale of Shadows.
I basically killed all enemies in every crypt, except the last one, but then suddenly a Shadow enemy appeared and I couldn't harm him in any way. Then my Beastmaster died because her faery dragon died, and I didn't expect it would cause so much damage to her.
The first character which died was a Sorcerer, and he died in a really stupid way (I went into a crypt, saw a bunch of enemies, went out again, and immediately got surrounded outside, because you had to went with the whole party into the crypt, it's really dumb).

>who do you have left?
I have a full elf party.
I still have a druid with some healing spells, a detect trap spell, 2 buff spells, and entangling spells. Also can still summon an animal (bear, snake, wolf, lion).
A fighter with decent armor, Zweihänder, and shortbow.
A ranger with longbow and 2 handed longsword style, also armored.
And an archer with longbow, 2 handed, and a bit armor.

>> No.5340067

>>5339015
All of it useless shit (minimap has nothing on the original btw), and the level drain change is beyond retarded, pretty much like any of the minor changes to the rules they did.
Also fuck off, I'm not using a game to ignore half the content because it's trash, I take the version without the trash.
You're just a lazy fuck who is willing to ignore all the unethical and retarded shit beamdog did just so you can avoid spending an hour modding your game into a way better version of it than the EE ever will be.
see? Everyone can play strawmanning and assumptions

>> No.5340079

>>5339102
They would all have high CHA requirements, everyone but Anomen would need high WIS. All but Jaheira would need STR too.

>> No.5340085

>>5340079
>high WIS
why?

>> No.5340125
File: 161 KB, 795x155, PROJECTION.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5340128

>>5303875
Yikes
Those aesthetics are ugly as fuck. Glad this genre is deader than Jimmy Hoffa.

>> No.5340157

>>5339015
>If you buy the new games and ignore all the additions, EE are great games!
lel

>> No.5340345

>>5340079
khalid had low charisma
so did quayle (though that wasn't a romantic relationship, obviously)
why would jaheira not want str? I'd say she'd want it the most out of all the girls

>> No.5340353

>>5339102
Viconia would obvioustly prefer high strength and charisma. She likes when CHARNAME behaves like an alpha male.
She will actually break up with you if you are too soft and too doting towards her. As well as too much of an asshole towards her, so trying to find a balance is half the fun of the romance.

>> No.5340556
File: 1.25 MB, 500x280, 8a2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5340157
>reading comprehension this bad

>> No.5340661

I'm trying to build an acceptable party in IWD, never played it before. What is the least worthless specialist mage in Icewind Dale? Also I didn't find spell immunity anywhere in the spell list, is there another way to protect your mages against dispel magic?

>> No.5340667

(I'm going with a diviner so far because he apparently only loses conjuration which doesn't seem that bad, but any advice welcome)

>> No.5340735

>>5306891
Right he's literally a fucking Jew what's the mystery

no offense to the Jews just saying that they literally have a word for people who won't lie for profit

>> No.5340761

how to activate cheats in IWD EE? I don't have a baldur.ini file?

>> No.5340772

>>5340661
>What is the least worthless specialist mage in Icewind Dale
Depends on your party I guess. The spells must fit to your other characters. I like totemic druid pretty much.

>> No.5340790

>>5332135
>tfw 18 CON but basically drow irl so it only prolongs the suffering
my DM is a dick

>> No.5340805

>>5340772
I use two other multiclass casters so spell variety isn't much of an issue, and I lack imagination so I'm just looking for a goold old somewhat generalist mage with one more spell per level.
Rolled with the diviner, I'll see how it goes anyway, but thanks!

>> No.5341057

>>5333645
>>5334250
you mean kenny?
yeah, I know that one
hint: kill him

>> No.5341181

>>5340761
maybe it's on by default?

>> No.5341184

>>5340667
no familiar tho

>> No.5341207

>>5339102
We already know in a couple of cases. Aerie gets seduced pretty easily by Haer'Dalis, so the charismatic Bardic ones are her type. Jaheira specifically goes for goodly (/a bit weak) men who help temper out her bitchiness like Khalid. Viconia will straddle anything that's willing to put her in her place. Anomen wants a noblewoman who swoons at his tales of valor and derring-do.

>> No.5341216

>>5341207
>Anomen wants a noblewoman who swoons at his tales of valor and derring-do.
In other words, a faggot.

>> No.5341218
File: 419 KB, 777x767, 6z82oyd2kyd21.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5340761
>IWD EE
>EE

>> No.5341225

>>5341207
>Jaheira specifically goes for goodly (/a bit weak) men
The thing about Khalid is that sure, he stutters and is a bit of a coward.
But he's a powerful fighter with high physical stats.
He's not overtly more alpha to her, which in general is something women find appealing, but he's still physically a fit warrior.

Kinda like when a woman is with a less succesful guy, he's probably still tall, or jacked, and expressing other alphaish characteristics instead.

As for Aerie, sure she's seduced by haer'dalis and there's maybe something to the strong charismatic bard for her, but that relationship doesn't even last if it plays itself out.

Curious to see how far you can go with viconia in different ways. Saw some romance guides but they just said "pick 1, pick 3, pick 1", but there isn't just one way to act always. Might start it up with console use and make a treechart with all the options, see what ultimately pushes her away.

>> No.5341234
File: 382 KB, 493x376, 1522510447767.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5341225
AFAIK you can change Viconia's alignment to Chaotic Neutral through your romance with her. Though you'd have to have her in a good party and theres a good chance she'd get PO'd and leave by then.

>> No.5341236

>Haven't played IWD in years
>Trying a new game
>No reload, no Rez challenge on Insane
>New level one party members can be "recruited" at taverns
>Goblins in Easthaven killed my thief
>TPK in the orc caves

JUST

>> No.5341240

>>5341236
Just died in the last crypt in the vale of shadows.
What the hell was I supposed to do against that shadow enemy? I just couldn't harm it with my weapons.

>> No.5341243

>>5341234
IWD character portraits look so much better. In BD2 they look like cheap pin up girls

>> No.5341250

>>5341240
magic weapons, anon

>> No.5341258

>>5341250
from where? i didn't see anything like this anywhere, except that shit which costs 6 gazillion coins perhaps

>> No.5341260

>>5341234
True Neutral.
I think it's after the saradush slaughter, where you can influence her to change her views on it.

>> No.5341263

>>5341258
you should have found several by then (especially ammunition), and yes you can buy some if you have the money

>> No.5341270

>>5341263
i didn't find anything magical, and i looted everything

>> No.5341271

>>5341270
whatever you say

>> No.5341273

Anyway... my party was fucked anyway, since I didn't have anyone to deactivate traps.
And it seems there are traps which pretty much instant kill you

>> No.5341274

>>5341236
>>5341240
fuck it I'll reinstall iwd.

Not sure I'll try it with EE, imba kit classes might be too op. Half-Orc doesn't make sense in iwd so I'll skip that.

Any other interesting changes EE does to IWD?
Since there are no companions in iwd I don't see how they can mess it up like bg1:ee with neera.

>> No.5341281

>>5341274
>imba kit classes might be too op
yep

even the regular fighter, mage, thief/fighter, cleric combo is overpowered

mainly they just updated the engine; got rid of bugs, fixed some quests, added a few new items, etc

>> No.5341290

>>5341243
Agreed. IWD had some amazing portraits.

>> No.5341343

>>5341240
>>5341258
>>5341270
In the Vale of Shadows crypts I found a battle axe, mace, warhammer, and shortsword all +1. Literally just cleared it so they are there. The axes for sure are dropped by the giant skeletons alongside the bone dancer guy

>> No.5341350

>>5341343
>>5341270
Drops are semi random last I played iwd.
I remember savescumming a room once for a particular drop.

>> No.5341353

>>5341343
>I found a battle axe, mace, warhammer, and shortsword all +1
All weapons I don't use for my characters.

>> No.5341362

>>5341236
Party thanks to eekeeper:
>female dwarven undead slayer
>half orc barbarian dual axes
>elf totemic Druid
>halfling archer with 4* in slings
>gnome illusionist/thief
>human cleric of helm
I also don’t optimize stats, reroll sets 3x, use the best. Swap one score with another, up to two times.

Give me a list of second stringers, any race/class. I’m okay with using eekeeper for fun. I like to try out new combos.

>> No.5341364

>>5341353
They don’t gotta use them all the time anon...just to kill the monsters that require magic weapons to hit

>> No.5341373

>>5341364
ok, but i still did not see magic weapons
the only option i maybe had was spells for my druid, but it more a healer character

>> No.5341391

>>5341353
HA
you have found magic weapons, you just ignored them cuz you're picky

>> No.5341396

>>5341391
no, i did not see any magic weapon
just regular weapons, sometimes marked blue for bein unidentified or whatever

>> No.5341401

>>5341396
what did the orc in the mill have?

>> No.5341402

>>5341396
>sometimes marked blue for bein unidentified or whatever
come on man

>> No.5341406

hm, even if I play iwd with EE and avoid the kit classes I'd still have the bg2 proficiencies.
Would make pure fighters harder because they'd have less options for their focused weapons. The styles would probably buff everyone else though.

>> No.5341408

>>5341402
those were the magic weapons or what?
i had no idea why they had another color, but i assumed it was because they were unidentified because they were

nothing written said anything bout them being magical

>> No.5341426

>>5341408
>nothing written said anything bout them being magical
well yeah that's the nature of identification, if an item is unidentified then the game won't tell you what it is exactly.
If it can be identified, it kinda clues you in that it is more than a standard weapon.

>> No.5341435

>>5341426
and how the fuck should i know this, that you have to identify some random shit weapons with a rare spells which looks totally useless? it's just retarded

>> No.5341452
File: 32 KB, 500x486, 5nTxoDi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5341435
Stop it, anon. No one is this stupid.

>> No.5341610

How do I roll a Chaotic Good Kensai/Enchanter Elf in BG2?

>> No.5341623

>>5341610
You don't.
Kit classes can't be multiclassed.
Only the first class can be a kit class in a dual class, and only humans can dual class.

>> No.5341628

>>5341623
I was thinking about Shadowkeeper.

>> No.5341665

>>5341628
Not him but I believe that even with shadow keeper, it will only give you the kit abilities of the first kit. You shouldn’t have a problem multiclassing a Kensai/regular mage tho. Just self limit what spells you take. And I think there is a way to adjust spell slots with shadowkeeper too.

>> No.5341672

I've only played NWN and enjoyed it. Seeing as the only thing being sold is the EE for BG, is it worth a shot still?

>> No.5341687

>>5341672
I have to imagine you can get non-EE somewhere.

There's a repository of old games for free, although I've completely forgotten the domain now. It's where I got my copy of Original Saga. Someone'll know what it's called. Or just try Google.

>> No.5341706

>>5341687
Aren't you getting both original BG series and the EE ones if you buy EE versions from GOG?
It's a scummy practice from Beamdog, but there is that.

>> No.5341737

>>5341687
>There's a repository of old games for free, although I've completely forgotten the domain now.
myabandonware maybe?

I see baldurs gate is on there now, but there's no download and a link to GoG to buy EE.
I wonder if it there was a download back in 2009 before EE came out, if not I'm not sure why the game is up on that site in the first place.
No archives pages for waybackmachine so can't know.

>> No.5341738

>>5341687
>>5341706
Does it matter for someone who has never played the original BG before?

>> No.5341740

>>5341738
Yes that's when it matters the most.

>> No.5341762

>>5341737
Pretty sure I got this one:
http://freegogpcgames.com/162/baldurs-gate-the-original-saga/

>>5341738
All I know about the EE versions is that they added some NPCs and changed the GUI. Since I like old BG's GUI and NPC's, I just don't see a reason to use it. I figure it's a sidegrade at best.

>>5341706
I've heard that, at least as far as IWD1, but I don't know for sure.

>> No.5341769

>>5341738
EE would be easier to play, just download a mod to disable the new npcs. They're all shit except maybe Baeloth.

>> No.5341773

>>5341769
>mod to disable the new npcs.
link that mod?
seen people ask for just that

>> No.5341790

>>5341773
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1135-disable-enhanced-edition-npcs/
Personally I disable them but use the component to distribute the items added by them. Example, the gem bag that neera normally carries is instead sold at the friendly arm inn.

>> No.5341797

>>5341773
https://github.com/Argent77/A7-NoEENPCs/releases/tag/v3.5

Also:
https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_enhanced_edition
>Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition includes the classic Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga.

>> No.5341802

>>5341790
>>5341797
Thanks

>Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition includes the classic Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga.
Usually the people who'd want a mod that removes them still want other EE changes like resolutions.

>> No.5341814

>>5341790
Speaking of which is Siege of Dragonspear even worth considering?
I have this fucking expansion laying somewhere on my GOG account, but given the low quality of the EE companions and content, the whole tranny controversy and the lead writer being notorious for shoving her political views into the games i am not particulalry eager to give this DLC a try.
Or maybe it's actually good and I'm missing out?

>> No.5341816

>>5341814
I struggle with SoD, haven't tried it yet and I'm not sure I will.
It wasn't necessary, but it features lower level adventures which I like, and characters I like.
The problem is that I don't trust them to have got those characters right. It's been too long, even if they had the original writers there, it's been 20 years and they wouldn't have them fresh in their mind anymore. I think even bg2 suffered in some ways in that aspect.
It would be nice to hear more voiced lines of Viconia by Grey Delisles though..

>> No.5341835

>>5341260
Nice thing about it is that you have to influence her views throughout the entire expansion - starting with Saradush in order to pull it off. And you can easily fuck it up if you say a wrong thing at the wrong time.Same thing with Sarevok.
I once refused to sleep with Viconia like a complete idiot cause I thought that would be a right thing to do when she just wanted to cuddle and talk about our relationship - and this derailed my attempts to turn her TN.
Women.

>> No.5341837

>>5341816
From what I gather SoD offers a proto-romance with Viconia. As well as romance with Safana - who immediately cucks you because "strong, independent woman".
Obviously those are relatively barebones compared to the EE companions romances - the DLC seems to be enamoured by them.

>> No.5341890
File: 310 KB, 500x500, received_1022697094561375.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

RTWP IS THE WORST COMBAT SYSTEM EVER
TURN BASED COMBAT IS SUPERIOR

>> No.5341892

>>5341890
go to bed jrpg-chan, it's way past your bed time

>> No.5341901
File: 316 KB, 768x1892, 1520371289165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5341890
You know what. Honestly. I'd like the infinity/aurora engine games better if they were turn based. Nothing like your party members derping into a fireball mid cast.

>> No.5341903

>>5341837giving a shit about "romances" in games
lmao, back i'm dealing with a bunch of JARPIGS here
i play these games because i actually think they have fun gameplay for RPGs
just avoid those shitty romances if they suck

>> No.5341909

>>5341892
You're right, but I don't want to sleep.

>>5341901
I'm glad you see the light.

>> No.5341918

turn based is way too stiff, it's retarded

>> No.5341919

>>5341901
that's why you have to protect casters behind tanks
here you actually have freedom in positioning which makes the games much more tactical and interesting than turn based shit

>> No.5341935

>>5341919
TurnBased =/= JRPG style combat. Divinity Original Sin, XCOM, Temple of Elemental Evil (God help us), and many more allow for positioning to be relevant in a turn-based system.

>> No.5341938

>>5341628
>>5341665
There's a mod that lets you combine kits through an automated process. I've had occasional issues where some kits don't have all their abilities added properly, and AFAIK you'll need to level up once after applying the kit to get the specialist mage bonus spells, but it usually works: https://github.com/CrevsDaak/m7multikit

You'll also need to rename a WeiDU exe to the setup file it wants, because it's not part of the github repository.

>> No.5341949

>>5341935
doesn't matter, it's still stiff liek your mothers nigger dildo

>> No.5342303

>>5341938
Thanks anon!

>> No.5342307

>>5341890
>>5341901
I'm fucking tired of you bunch of dumb niggers showing up in every goddamn thread barely mentioning infinity engine games with this 'BG would be better if it was turn based' retarded shit. Infinity engine games are almost the only worthwhile rtwp games, you have a literal metric ton of your empty, boring, shitty turn-based trash. So fuck off, go play that and shut the fuck up about RTWP because it's not even like you have anything worthwhile to say about it. Fuck's sake.

>> No.5342321

>>5341769
>EE would be easier to play
No, it's the same game.

>> No.5342334

>>5342321
Technically, vanilla BG1 and EE BG 1 are two quite different games. With vanilla BG 1 being in fact a bit more difficult due to not having things like subclasses, dual wielding, some classes and races like sorcerers and half-orc and other stuff that BG2 introduced and Beamdog reverse-engineered into BG:EE.
Blackguard in general is fucking broken, considering that most enemies in BG1 don't have the means to counter him properly (his poison attacks pass through Stoneskin for instance).

I agree BG2 and BG2:EE though. The most notorious difference in BG2:EE is that you pretty much have to deal with some rather obnoxious EE companions - like OC Coldsteel Mary Sue black lesbian vampire Hexxat.

>> No.5342340

>>5342334
>
Blackguard in general is fucking broken, considering that most enemies in BG1 don't have the means to counter him properly (his poison attacks pass through Stoneskin for instance).
also the assassin to be fair
there are more broken hings to be in bgt or in ees, berserkers get to farm sirines for free for instance

>> No.5342357

>>5342340
Yeah, the general consensus is that both BGT and BG:EE pretty much introduced the class combinations that were never intended to work in original BG1, so the game balance is out of whack.

Also, small things like highlight option. BG 1 didn't have it. for better or for worse.
And there was a lot of small hidden containers in which you could've found a relatively powerful shit early on as a reward for pretty much pixel-hunting the map - like the pearl worth 500 gp right at the very start, really dope ankheg shell armor in Nashkel or Ring of Wizardry in Friendly Arm Inn.

Now, with interactable objects highlight, how it works is essentially: "press TAB for some powerful free shit".
Small and inconseqential nitpick, but it kinda defeats the purpose of this stuff being in the game at this point.

>> No.5342379

>>5342357
Yeah things like hiding a treasure behind a painting is kinda pointless with the highlight system.

I remember thinking the ring of wizardry outside of naskhel was a myth just because I went there and looked for it, but I didn't look closely enough so I missed it.

>> No.5342409

>>5342379

>I remember thinking the ring of wizardry outside of naskhel was a myth just because I went there and looked for it, but I didn't look closely enough so I missed it.
I am positive they added it in a patch or maybe totsc.

>> No.5342424

>>5342409
Damnit, I meant friendly arm inn, not naskhel.

>I am positive they added it in a patch or maybe totsc.
maybe, I might have a look if my non totsc install is unpatched

>> No.5342431

>>5342409
I remember it being kinda both.
The ring could have been found in the original game outside the Friendly Arm Inn, then it was removed in a patch due to Bioware thinking it was broken (seriously, THAT item was broken?) and later on patched in once more in TotSC.

>> No.5342569

>>5341802
>want other EE changes like resolutions.
uhmmmm.....

>> No.5342580

>>5342569
What is it that you don't understand?
One of the things EE does is add more options for resolutions.
You now mentioning that you can do that without EE and mods, doesn't change that.

>> No.5342637

>>5342580
Well if they want to change resolution and avoid retarded content, what good reason do they have to not play the original with widescreen mo in the first place?

>> No.5342659

>>5342637
Less effort to install one game and one mod, than one game and four mods.

>> No.5342664

>>5342659
Dumb question - but can't you simply use Big World Project to do the moddding for you?

>> No.5342674

>>5342659
>muh less effort
It takes literally 30 seconds for fuck's sake. There's almost nothing easier than installing a weidu mod. This is not a good reason, this is "I didn't bother reading anything about this game and why does my character miss all the time" tier.

>> No.5342715

>>5342674
When we're talking about BG 2 - sure.

When it comes to BG 1 things are a bit more complicated. If you wish to play something similar to BG:EE with regards vanilla BG1, your only option is BGT. And let's not beat around the bush - as much as I love BG1 it did age quite poorly compared to BG2.

And if you don't know what you are doing with regards to properly installing BGT (mod order, biffing etc.), you can easily fuck up the installation, especially when you wish to install other mods on top of that like BG2 NPC Project, Unfinished Business, SCS and Ascension and you'll only know about it 20 hours in when the game will start glitching out.

I once completely managed to fuck up my mod order with regards to Ascension and found out about in at the last leg of ToB when characters suddenly started talking gibberish due to misplaced lines. Other time I forgot to use the biffing mod to close the installation and the game's performance was laggy as fuck beacuse of that.

But that's the only mildly reasonable argument that comes to my mind. Unless you REALLY want to play this Siege of Dragonspear DLC and/or love EE companions.

>> No.5342719

>>5342715
>your only option is BGT
easytutu, no need to thank me

>> No.5342726

>>5342715
also if you're not completely retarded, ther's no way to brick your installation even with BGT and all the usual mods that you'll want to install even if you have the EE (from NPC project to 1pp through whatever else like Ascension and SCS).
Because if you're not completely retarded, you read the BGT readme and what it has to say about mod order of install, which is really the only vaguely tricky part of the process.
But again, easytutu is a way better option for modding than BGT imo, because it makes it basically impossible to fuck it up.

>> No.5342728

>>5342715
Last thing, the only way to fuck up the dialog lines is uninstalling a mod and installing another afterwards while still using the same save files (the dialog.tlk file will load the wrong lines).
You will have the exact same problem with the enhanced editions.
(and thank fuck biffing takes approximately 20 seconds, so it's really not a big deal to realize you forgot to apply it)

>> No.5342753

>>5342728
>>5342726
>>5342719
But the thing is - in order to play BG 1, logically I can do all of that (install BGT/easytutu - which takes a lot of time to process, install widescreens, companion mods, biff all the mods + all required BG 2 mods you'd probably want to use - Ascension, BG2UB or what have you, beacuse now we are talking full series installation instead of just modding BG1) all of which is easy if quite time-consuming, or I can just install BG:EE, slap NPC Project + mod that disables EE companions and eventually SCS and move on with my life.

Again, I'm not arguing necessarily - I just kinda see the point of some people just wanting to install BG:EE and move on.

Also, don't quote me on that but I am pretty sure that Ascension always needs to go first in mod order - otherwise glitches may happen.

>> No.5342780

>>5342753
easytutu takes like 2-3 minutes to install. Widescreen 30 seconds, about as much as removing EE NPCs. You'll want the fixpack, NPC project, SCS, the tweaks anthology and whatever the fuck else regarldess of playing the EE or the originals.
Same with BG2, none of the mods you'll want to install are included in the EE, still need fixpack, tweaks, 1pp, Ascension, etc.
Generalized biffing is so quick and easy to install it's barely worth mentioning.
Again, I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing either, I just genuinely think that it is not harder nor longer to mod the orignals compared to the EE.
The only things it skips are tutu and widescreen, and it adds disable ee npcs to the list.
For the rest you'll need to do it in both cases so it will never be an advantage for the EE over the orignals.

>> No.5342785

>>5342753
and yeah, it is recommended to always install Ascension (or the fixpack) first, then the rest.
Because other mods will overwrite files from these two

>> No.5342850

>>5306847
Based

>> No.5342883
File: 970 KB, 1540x670, x9frYHT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5303875
How is the Planescape Torment EE?
Did they meddle with it as well and should I rather stick to the vanilla version?

>> No.5342916

I tried installing big world right now and bg2fixes mod was always crashing. Is it down or what I remember installing BWP with no problem.

>> No.5342980

>>5342883
depends on how much you hate these fucking disgusting new sprites
aside from that the content wasn't touched except for typos and minor corrections in the same vein, and the usual beamdog UI adapted for planescape.
As often, I'd rather use the classic holy quadrilogy fixpack-tweaks anthology-widescreen-unfinshed business with maybe the ghostdog UI mod over the EE, but Torment EE is the least shitty product Beamdog created so far. It also has the least added value compared to the originals and free mods, so I'm still butthurt about paying a company money for that crap, but to each his own I suppose.

>> No.5343179

>>5342357
>like the pearl worth 500 gp right at the very start
there's a diamond that's worth 1000 on the map where you first meet elminster

>> No.5343201

>>5343179
the diamond is before you meet elminster, it's in a tree a bit north of where xzar and montaron are on the very first map
I think the pearl is in the candlekeep inn?

>> No.5343227
File: 857 KB, 701x646, dimmy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5343201
no, it's not, it's right above elminster, I'm 100% positive. El is the red circle, diamond is the blue.

there's a star sapphire in the inn, but you need either a max-strength raging barbarian or an open-lock focused thief

>> No.5343235

>>5343227
oh yeah that one ok
Must be another valuable stone in the tree don't remember which but I was pretty sure it was a diamond, it adds a short banter with Imoen in BG NPC project when you pick it up

>> No.5343276

>>5341225
>Curious to see how far you can go with viconia in different ways. Saw some romance guides but they just said "pick 1, pick 3, pick 1", but there isn't just one way to act always. Might start it up with console use and make a treechart with all the options
There's already a complete romance guide for baldur's gate 2 with absolutely all the modifiers, dialogues and all the possible outcomes of each on sorcerers.net. Also explains pretty clearly how romances work (in terms of modding) and how you can do whatever you want with them with the console.
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_tips.php
(also a lot of other useful shit on this page)

>> No.5343380

I just made a BG1/Siege of Dragonspear/BG2/ToB run as dual classed kensai/mage. I wanted to check if its as powerful as people say and yes, its good, but I think multiclass fighter/mage is a lot better because he is not gibbed by kensai shit like no armor/braces and gets better thac0 progressing in fighter class above lvl 9/13. Also time stop/greater whirlwind combo.

Anyway, I dont understand people saying playin a single classed mage as mc is good idea (I did that on first playthrough), there are few duel situations ingame and mage is fucked in them without shenanigans. And you always are a special treatment glass cannon and that just feels bad desu.
Also recommending bards lol shit support class, bad at everything, and their main gimmick is useless.

Anyway, siege of dragonspear ist... Low. Writing is bad. You can ignore trans npc, but he is your camp cleric. And shoves his obnoxious shit in your face if you ask him about anything, really.
You get an archer npc in the beginning who is powerful enough to solo a dragon. that just happened in my game. Dragon was fucking shot to death by strong single mom with a bow. In less than 3 turns, I think.

Safana throws herself in your arms only to cuck and ridicule you about it. She fucks the guy when you're in jail and Imoen comes to tell you about it, it all smells of writer's hate of men. I mean, who the fuck thought any player will be entertained by that? Its written like it was supposed to make you feel like shit and it will happen if you dont actively not allow it to, like not letting Safana romance you.

Also "battle of dragonspear" is an infinite spawn. Really fucking tiresome one, forcing you to cheese your way through it. Many enemies in it are powerful enough to give you trouble and they spam spells.
And actual story looks interesting at first, but is really fucking stupid. Like, it was supposed to be tragic, but all tragedy happened only because BBEG is just an idiot of the worst Lawful Stupid wariety.

>> No.5343409

>>5343380
Also, two more things:
At the beginning you are thrown into dungeon with your Bg1 party, but Imoen is taken away from you because "she is training to be a mage and just cannot do anything now, she does not feel like it". Well guess what, she was my fucking thief. So you are forced to make a dungeon run without a thief. Yes, there are traps and locks in it. Its short and its supposed to be "tutorial", but its like no one fucking bothered to think for a moment that most people will not have other thief in their party at the end of bg1.

Also, the dlc praised "updated engine allowing for large battles and shit" made my laptop fucking stutter in some scenes. Laptop taking Witcher 3 or GTA V maybe not on max settings, but comfortably at medium. Go figure.

>> No.5343415

>>5343276
Nice thanks, it was actually worth the download.
It's got all of the text, options, modifiers, notations.
Only possible fault is the format, but that's because it's a word document.
If I'd make a treechart to have a clearer look for myself I'd base it on this instead of going into the game.

>> No.5343424

>>5343380
>Also recommending bards lol shit support class, bad at everything, and their main gimmick is useless.
they make okay mages, and blades are good

>> No.5343432

>>5343424
Yeah, but why would you want an "okayish" bard as main character, if you can make a fighter/mage who will be able to do everything a bard can better and also fight not only with competence, but actually leading your party effort in combat? I dont think babysitting your character the whole game and watching with envy as Keldorn rips enemies apart and laughs at mages qualifies as fun.
Im not saying you have to minmax or something, but playing a bard, especially for first time, is kinda lame. There are many good classes and bard just isnt one, it shines totally nowhere.

>> No.5343437

>>5343432
>it shines totally nowhere.
that's kinda the point, they can do multiple things

straight bard is ideal, but it's almost comparable to a mage in casting, but gets more HP and better weapons (and armor, if you decide to), and they can pickpocket
your argument against MC mages is a good one, IMO, though

blade roughly equals fighter/mage; stronger in some ways, weaker in others

>> No.5343441

>>5343437
>is ideal
*isn't, goddammit

>> No.5343454

>>5343380
>Anyway, I dont understand people saying playin a single classed mage as mc is good idea (I did that on first playthrough), there are few duel situations ingame and mage is fucked in them without shenanigans
You are the tankiest class in the game when prebuffed, have sequencers, contingencies and you can even be very competent in melee thanks to Polymorph Self and later Shapechange. What sorta duel scenarios do you have where a mage is so supposedly screwed?
>Also recommending bards lol shit support class, bad at everything, and their main gimmick is useless.
They level up really fast, have UAI, traps and Enhanced Bard Song can be used by a copy of you. Overall they're a nice package of features that can easily be setup to dominate. "Special treatment glass cannon" and the previous comment about Mages makes me think you don't know Blur, Mirror Image, Stoneskin and the fuckton of other defensives that are also available to Bards. Whom, with UAI, can also reach ridiculous levels of personal defense with stuff like Jan's Armor, Human Skin, and tons of other items that might be otherwise illegal.

Also Kensai/Mage is only good insofar as maximum single-target DPR potential (if you know monster HP values you can assassinate someone with Kai under TS with exact precision), but Berserker->Mage is much safer and has long since been accepted as the better way to dual across most of the game, with a ridiculous early game.
The problem multi F/Ms face is stunted spellcasting progression, and the Thac0/dmg progression from Fighter levels is pretty much balanced out by the lack of Grandmastery, which depending on your install (either True Grandmastery from aTweaks or the version implemented into EE) is either a way, way better option or pretty shitty.

Also: Skalds are a fantastic "force multiplier" in heavy physical teams throughout the trilogy (other bards only start being useful in the singing department at HLA levels) and Jesters are actually really good at control

>> No.5343463

>>5343380
>>5343409
Oh, and one last thing. In SoD all your party members leave you because "they have something better to do". So you must make a party from what game gives you, and damn, your options are limited. I was playing a good party and SoD has two clerics - Viconia, and a fucking gay and rather shitty gnome who also tries to romance you LIKE RIGHT NOW and has very bland character with all the things people dislike in gnomes. I fucking cringed when I had to read his banter, all really bad jokes, things like getting easily scared by everything and overall beta basedboy behaviour.
>>5343437
Hmm, I understand it can be worthy of trying, but I wouldnt recommend it for first time.
I just think having a character that can RIP AND TEAR reliably makes fights more fun. And especially in SoD there is a duel situation with BBEG which was unwinable for me because my Kensai just dualed into mage. BBEG could not kill me because of my large hp, but I also totally could not hit it at all. I do not think a bard or single Mage can make it. And alternative is that slugfest of a battle, in which you can die in a lot of ways and enemies are resistant to most spells you have access to.

>> No.5343465

>>5343454
But the bottom line for BG2 is generally as follows: if it has arcane spellcasting, it's at least a tier 2 class. Even if we were to assume that "bards are just weaker F/Ms", they... are still F/M-flavored. The damage output on a bard with speed weapons and Improved Haste is really not too shabby, and they're generally a flexible class throughout the game with a nice bag of tricks.

Also, another thing that bears mentioning in regards to the bard - they advance faster in levels meaning they will have more caster levels than a mage at equivalent XP. This means that effects that scale with level (like the humble Fireball) are usually stronger when cast by bards, which is something worth looking at even though Mages will ultimately have stronger nukes (Horrid Wilting, Dragon's Breath).

Really though you can't call a class with eventual access to Spike Trap, Time Trap, any item in the game and a flat +4 dmg bonus to every party member (along with some nice immunities and resistances) to be objectively bad.

>> No.5343480

>>5343463
>And especially in SoD there is a duel situation with BBEG which was unwinable for me because my Kensai just dualed into mage
Wait, are you implying you were still only regaining your mage levels?
>BBEG
Do you mean the duel with Ashatiel? She is vulnerable to wand of paralyzation, and once that hits, you autohit. She also doesn't enjoy darts of stunning.
In fact, I just googled it and someone just bragged about easily doing it with a Blade because -12 AC in Defensive Spin means your avoidance is too stellar to die to her.
You can also apply poison through stoneskin (there's a dagger of venom in BG1 if you're not an assassin/blackguard) thus neutering her spellcasting ability.

>> No.5343518

>>5343454
I know those spells, but theyre not going to be on you 24/7. Actually for typical backline mage I dont really bother, because he wont be hit anyway in most fights. They really shine on fighter/mages and other arcane classes which actually get into close combat. Why would I stoneskin/mirror image/blur my mage and order him to attack in close combat as he wont hit anything with his thac0? I used them when I felt mage was going to be threatened in a fight, or to make K/M ungodly engine of destruction.
>>5343480
Yes, I dualed just before that battle. If you read what I wrote with comprehension, you will find there information that I also couldnt die to her, I just couldnt do any reliable damage because mage thac0 made it almost impossible to hit her.
And preparing wand of paralyzation/darts of stunning/poisoned dagger (I wouldnt be able to hit her with it anyway) especially for bossfight because you cant win it in straight fight is what I called "shenanigans" earlier when talking about dueling with a mage... You know, either you play with a walkthrough and know exactly what will happen and how to prepare, or you will find yourself in a situation you werent prepared for. Thats why I called a mage glass cannon which struggles in those moments.

>> No.5343539

>>5343518>
>theyre not going to be on you 24/7
Stoneskin lasts 12 hours and is probably the best spell in its tier, so yes, it will. Mirror Image and Blur have a very long duration as well, enough to prebuff for battles like this.
>Why would I stoneskin/mirror image/blur my mage and order him to attack in close combat as he wont hit anything with his thac0?
Because we were specifically talking about about Bards, who have decent THAC0 and can be Blades or Skalds, who have fight-oriented bonuses. Either way, with just these basic spells your Mage is already formidably defended. Even a plain old Mage can be an okay melee combatant as early as Polymorph Self is available, though.
>Yes, I dualed just before that battle.
So you were a level... 1 or 2 mage against a boss fight, and that's your basis for arguing that mages are bad in duels?
>If you read what I wrote with comprehension, you will find there information that I also couldnt die to her, I just couldnt do any reliable damage because mage thac0 made it almost impossible to hit her.
The class you took a massive dump on can do it without problems, but you can't. Blades are competent at melee combat and can trade blows easily throughout that duel. That was the point.
>"shenanigans"
Are you seriously implying that carrying any of the extremely useful consumables that can and will bail you out of many, many fights that would be very hard for you is "shenanigannery"? I keep that shit on hand all the time because I don't need to sell it and they're all extremely useful utility.
You aren't using wands, scrolls, potions and aren't planning for any possible contingencies (like a plain old random ambush).
If I were roleplaying, I wouldn't throw away or sell an item that says "many enemies I will face are going to be vulnerable to this and it makes them completely defenseless", because I'm the child of a God of Murder destinied to leave bloodbaths everywhere and there are assassins in every single town I go to.

>> No.5343541

>>5343276
Oh lord, they're all so mean to eachother, Vicky expected, Jaheira sure, but even Aerie at times

>> No.5343550

>>5343539
Hell, even a level 1 mage (fresh out of dual) can probably win this fight on wands alone (you're an arcane caster, it's perfectly in character for you to hoard these items for emergencies like "adventuring day was long, spellslots are at premium" or "I prepared insufficient direct damage before going to bed" or simply "this thing is immune to fire and I'm entirely packed with Fireballs".

I'm fairly certain this fight would have gone much easier with a simple Wand of Frost or Wand of Fire. Or potion of firebreath.

>> No.5343862

reading the romance end lines kinda bummed me out

>> No.5343932

>>5342307
You know that we're right. RTWP is a clusterfuck. Tactical turn based is the only way to go.

>> No.5343940

oh bump limit

thought that /vr/ had become lightning fast for a moment there

>> No.5343962

>>5343932
>a clusterfuck
git gud
turn based is for pussies afraid of messing up their micro, which is already not that demanding in infinity engine games
Good rtwp, as in BG and IWD, is superior to turn based in terms of intensity, overall control and tactical depth, each character has his own rounds based on which order actions were taken and not some bullshit initiative stat, micro has its importance and mistakes can be made on that part when it's a lot harder to fuck up positioning on turn based.
It's just overall a more fun and interesting experience than any turn based shit ever made. Your "only way to go" is boring and sucks.

>> No.5344235
File: 61 KB, 686x500, 1547840726078.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5343539
There were two different topics in my posts and you mixed it all together, i do not know if you are shit at reading or just really must win every discussion in ur life and did ot on purpose. Lets just clean that a little:
>Bards
Okay, thats true. Theyre not so bad I thought them. Though I still believe recommending that class for first walkthrough to someone is just being an ass. That person will not minmax like you and the game will suck for them.
>Mage as glass cannon
Jesus, guy, you just recommended me to hoard a fucking shitty dagger from first game especially for Ashatiel fight, and you seriously think that is not shenanigans?
Like, imagine. You play BG2 for first time. You get into Copper Coronet and there is a drunk who will want to duel you.
As a mage, you just get your ass kicked or duel lasts long time because the guy cant hit you and you cant hit him and you have not enough magic missiles. If you actually prepared right spells even, often you will be spent and hurt because you go to tavern to rest. So you load your game, change your spellbook, talk first to innkeeper, or walk around the guy all the time.
That how it looked for me on my first walkthrough. No, I did not had any polymorph spells, no wands of paralyzation or especially saved daggers of poison, because I played the game first time and without walkthrough.
Do you understand what I am talking about or are you going to again autistically screech about "being the best class with prep time" or "you do not know your spells, blur would win that for you, and you totally should have used that really powerful item you could find 30 hours of game time earlier and in different game and that surely does not prove your point"?
>Meanwhile, second walkthrough, Cavalier:
drunk murdered in two hits and actually exploded because critical hit
>Third walkthrough, Kensai/Mage
One hit kill
Which is more satysfying for someone playing the game first time? Because that was my point the whole time.

>> No.5344518

>>5340085
Because they make you go through some real shit tests in their relationships that you need to be on the ball for
>>5340345
I don't remember Jaheira ever commenting on how strong the MC is as an important deal like the rest do.