[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 72 KB, 621x637, Zrzut ekranu (66).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5293868 No.5293868 [Reply] [Original]

Fallout 2

>Low Agility and Strength
>Level 6, no fights yet not counting the Temple of Trials
>All quests solved based on charisma and intelligence
>This game is brilliant.

>> No.5293872

>>5293868
Haven't finished 2, but I barely fought at all in Fallout 1.

>> No.5293892

High int. Ultimate skill man.

>> No.5294513

>>5293868
>not maxing out luck for hilarious encounters

>> No.5294520

>>5293868
Idk. I could never get into 2 and I loved the original. Idk why

>> No.5294523

>>5294520
2 just has a slow start, but it's just as brilliant as 1

>> No.5294532

>>5293868
Considering the game can be finished without a single fight, I'm surprised you are surprised your non-combat build is working.

>>5294520
Temple of Trials, probably. And the general state of the game until you start your trek to Vault City

>> No.5294598

>>5294532
> Considering the game can be finished without a single fight, I'm surprised you are surprised your non-combat build is working.

I didn't know that, just wanted to roleplay as someone intelligent and wordy but not really useful for fighting. I have troubles with low inventory capacity. I'm playing it for the first time since 1999.

>> No.5294607

I've made the common mistake of playing Fallout 1 with one of the pre-made characters. I played as Albert, so it made the game specially hard for me. If you didn't know, it's better to create your own character, because the three pre-made characters all have various flaws that don't compliment their skills. Although you can solve most quests with Albert with Speech, he really sucks in battle (4 AG), so if you don't go out of your way for some stuff (like the holodisk containing super mutant research), you could potentially get locked into an unwinnable situation.

I really liked how open FO2 was about that. I played as a combat-oriented character from the start, so some things were really off-limits for me until almost the end of the game, like solving the situation with the slavers (it can turn into one of the biggest fights in the game).

>> No.5294616
File: 252 KB, 1366x768, fbos0000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh boy, don't ever play Fallout Tactics then.
>make a CH and IN based character
>whole game is just fights
>first NPC you can "convince" is well into two-thirds of the game (more than 20 hours in)
>a lot of skills are basically useless because of that
>huge power creep in the middle of the game
I mean, if you actually say fuck it and play as a murder-squad simulator, just load up on the heaviest armor you can find, every kind of drug known to man, the game is sorta fun. And I'm not kidding: drugs are so good in Tactics that if you don't use them, you'll spend 3 times as much in every single fight.

If you don't want to play it (it's 30-hour slog), I can expand on some of those points.

>> No.5294716

>>5294598
the "Best" builds have capped agi and 8+ int. you may run into some issues, but recruiting companions takes care of being a bad fighter + carry capacity. dont forget you can use stat increase drugs and there's also operations to permanently increase stats, as well as permanent +2 luck in NCR from the scientology reading (might need to savescum a bit to get it)

>> No.5294725

>>5294523
>>5294532
This is more than likely it. Never liked the beginning. But same thing for the Baulders Gate series, I just didn't get it

>> No.5294727

>>5294616
its true, the drugs are amazing in FoT.
back in the day everyone used them in online, various combinations.
i think i popped 2 voodoos, trauma pack (to increase resistance to addiction and bad effects) then another 2 voodoos.
it basically turned online play into high luck builds and praying for crits since non crits would basically not do damage.
you could also sneak and wait in a corner for 5 minutes at the start of matches and everyone would be hungover by the time you ran in with your godmode drugged up character.
people only really played one map (downtown) but god i miss those days
as far as playing singleplayer, almost the entire game can be played in real time (highest difficulty) only a few choke points require turn based. a lot of cheesing can be done with sniper rifles since you'll outrange every single enemy with them, lel. such a shame that it was released unfinished

let me know how hard you nostalgia at this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INAen3dSqZI

>> No.5294734

>>5294727
forgot to mention people also would shoot for the right arm, which would either cripple it or occasionally outright break the opponents weapon

>> No.5294737

>>5294734
... and throwing grenades over walls to catch people out of stealth. this also works in singleplayer really well since npc's tend to just camp

>> No.5294749

>>5294727
>a lot of cheesing can be done with sniper rifles since you'll outrange every single enemy with them
This is not true of the midgame, where you start to fight people with miniguns (Reavers, Super Mutants, Robots). You can shoot them out of their range completely (Sniper Rifle has 50, Minigun has 45), and they still manage to burst hit you to shreds.

When I understood I could just load everyone up on Voodoo and Psycho, put Metal Armor Mk II (before Power Armor) and just run inside every room with a whole team, the game became much easier.

Also, I never managed to hit people over walls with grenades, even with Throwing at 150%. Usually my character just throws a grenade on their own face.

>> No.5294756

>>5294749
>This is not true of the midgame, where you start to fight people with miniguns (Reavers, Super Mutants, Robots). You can shoot them out of their range completely (Sniper Rifle has 50, Minigun has 45), and they still manage to burst hit you to shreds.
true the big guns are retarded, they can shoot at you for 5 minutes and then randomly 1 hit will be a crit that instakills you. pretty bad game design, but adds to the idea that super mutants are exceptional beings you shouldnt try to fight in the first place. they really butchered the lore so badly in bethouts
>Also, I never managed to hit people over walls with grenades, even with Throwing at 150%. Usually my character just throws a grenade on their own face.
how do you mean? you just equip nade and right click where the enemy is standing, even if they dont render on your screen. maybe this got patched but i dont believe so, it doesnt make sense. you can kill many difficult enemies in this way, i always leveled throwing on one guy, even pussy ass nades (there are hundres of them in the game) get the job done, you just need to throw like 30 of them rofl

>> No.5294769

>>5294756
>you just need to throw like 30 of them rofl
Well, that would work. I just thought lugging 90 grenades per mission was kind of retarded.

>> No.5294771

>>5294769
it is, but i do weird shit in games. i loot every single item in the map and then bring it back using the vehicles. :^)

>> No.5294772
File: 9 KB, 255x247, burd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5294616
>Game is about tactical combat
>Surprised it's all combat
>Complaining it's all combat
Next time read the fucking cover description before buying the game. Or the manual before playing.

>> No.5294775

>>5294772
the game is literally unfinished and almost all the actual RPG aspects were never implemented, although they were planned. the criticisms about it are valid

>> No.5294782

>>5294772
>tactical combat
>FO tactics
If you've played the game before spouting this, you'd know just how wrong you were.

>read the manual
Funny enough, Tactics' manual is the worst manual of all the Fallouts. It doesn't explain a lot of stuff, and even mentions some stuff that never made it into the game (like double-barreled shotgun fire).

The thing with FO Tactics isn't that it's about combat. It's that its combat is shit. It's always satisfying to rip someone to shreds with gatling gun fire, though.

>> No.5294849
File: 696 KB, 1920x1080, Zrzut ekranu (65).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The game can be kind of wholesome

>> No.5294871

>>5293868
what's a good gunslinger build?

>> No.5294880

>>5294871
high agility and small guns skill

>> No.5294904

>>5294871
very high agi (max agility lets you shoot most guns twice in a turn), high int (7-8+). very high perception, (7+~) very high luck (7-8, i forget - you can get +2 free perma luck in NCR). low endurance is painful in the start but once you get some decent armor and healing items you're fine.
iirc charisma only really modifies how many partners you can have, so you minimize it (at the lowest you can still get 1 partner).
the downside there is it will make your starting speech lower, but high int will have you advance quickly in all skills.
tag small frame for a free +1 to agi, and gifted for +1 to all primary stats, the other ones are pretty much worthless
tag speech, small guns, lockpicking - you can do some research on late game stuff (its important to know it all before you start, otherwise you cant get it later) like critting every single hit you do. use fallout wikis for this info, the perk is called Sniper and needs 10 luck for 100% crit but its at level 24 which is very late game and you will be kicking ass by then either way
there are various items and drugs in the game to increase your primary stats (like sunglasses increase charisma, same with mentats)
many primary stats can also be permanently increased using surgery
female if you want to sleep your way past certain road blocks
there used to be a great website with all kinds of info but i cant find it anymore. if you want to make your own build, just look at what perks/guns you would like to use, then plan your stats accordingly

>> No.5294979

>>5294756
Super Mutants feel equally "kinda threatening but not that much because these games aren't about hard combat" between FO1 and the new Fallouts. Never gave tactics enough of a chance but it sounds like they're the ones that deviated.

>> No.5295109

>>5294979
yeah man, one of the generals says it really well in one of the mission briefings:
"From your lessons, you should recall that Super-Mutants are genetically engineered soldiers that are strong, tough to kill, and can easily carry weapons that most people would mount on assault vehicles. They are to be handled with extreme caution. You are going into heavy combat unlike any you have experienced before."
then you are given a fucking armored personnel carrier because even a single burst can kill multiple squad members if you're lined up.
In one of the missions a soldier is captured but refuses to talk, and the mutant leader remarks on how "some hot pokers stabbing his manhood will loosen up his tongue". there are even humans working with the super mutants.
contrast that with bethouts, all super mutants are functionally retarded killing machines who kill everything and everyone, are also lemmings, use small guns (even though they literally cannot up until bethesda raped the IP, due to having hands that are too big). the lore rape is so fucking bad, imagine if they had just went with the proper midwest BoS lore established in FoT (the branch that was exiled due to ideological differences). afaik the "original" BoS fell to ruin as seen in Fo2 due to not being willing to accept new recruits and even new races. there's so much to work with there, yet they just took the flying ships (a single one, actually) and made them ultra in group preference humans
FoT has the best introduction video in the entire franchise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncUp8nk1_lk
its a shame the game is so incomplete, but i encourage anyone that cares about fallout lore to give it a chance- if nothing else it'll show you just how shitty bethesda is at writing even basic storylines.
FFS, in fallout 4 the "bad guys" is led by your fucking son who hands you the reigns of his organization or whatever. FoT deals with an extinction event type enemy

>> No.5295141

>>5294775
>t. moron who didn't read the cover nor played the game past first mission

>>5294782
>Turn-based combat-heavy RPG game about squad of soldiers doing missions from HQ and working out ways to deal with enemies that can easily just swarm them or turn them into mince from safe distance
Sounds like tactical combat RPG to me. It's no Jagged Alliance, but it's close enough.
>combat is shit
Well, it's FO combat mechanics with cosmetic changes to adjust for stealth, noise system and stance, what the fuck you were expecting? It's baby's first tactical combat.

>> No.5295145
File: 23 KB, 499x270, 1424812886135.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5294849

>> No.5295146

>>5295141
you're a retard dude, i first played the game when i was 11 rofl. go back to /v/ zoomer

>> No.5295150

>>5294616
What letter in the word "Tactics" you didn't understand?
Also, it has easily the best special encounters in the series, some cool moments filled with soul (the story of brother and sister from Brahmin Woods, for example) and a very good point of view on the Brotherhood as a faction.

>> No.5295218

>>5294727
>let me know how hard you nostalgia at this song
It was supposed to be Jesus just left Chicago by ZZ Top.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-eNsXAXYg

>> No.5295221

>>5295218
i like better what they ended up going with

>> No.5295289

>>5295150
>tactics
>run inside a room with your head full of chems and murder everyone in 3 seconds
I could say every single point where FO Tactics fails at, but I'll leave it to another day.

>> No.5295403

>>5294616
tactics is a great game
just not an rpg like 1 or 2

>> No.5295706

>>5294616
Charisma is actually a stronger stat than in Fo1 / 2 combined due to the SPECIAL system's vestigial GURPS features like the diplomatic skill [Speech] being something you can pump through skillpoints [available through Intelligence] AS WELL as available dialogue options being unlocked by Intelligence, not Charisma. As a result, a CH1 character is just about as eloquent as a CH10 character in F2, the only difference is a handful of minor quests of relatively small importance, or perhaps if you wanted to play a whore.

In fact, Albert the Diplomat, out of the box, can't do the diplomatic ending because he lacks the intelligence [7] to understand the implications of Vree's holodisk and present them before The Master - luckily, there's an IN chip out there, Mentats, and maybe even Smooth Talker could work.

In FoT, Charisma actually gives you some interesting perks [Divine Favor is at the very least interesting if not a straight power upgrade; I had the math on whether it's worth it somewhere from NMA or perhaps a F:T multiplayer powergaming forum, but I lost it], there's Leader, and in the single-player campaign, Charisma actually affects the gaining of Rank, so you get better companions earlier.

The one thing Arcanum got right is that Charismancer is actually way more viable than in Fallout 2, considering the relative increase in power of your companions and much smaller capacity for friendly fire.

>>5294904
>great website with all kinds of info
Per Jorner's Nearly Ultimate Fallout Guides have been relocated, but they're still googlable by that name. They're the most definite source of all sorts of obscure skill checks and bugs, and the powergaming section is decent, although I presume some grognards would figure out a way to optimize them further.

>> No.5295712

>>5295706
yeah thats the one, i had no idea what to search for, good looking out

>> No.5295717

I love the fact that Fallout lets you finish the game by shitting your way out of every situation

>> No.5295726

>>5295717
>shitting your way out of every situation
Huh, I only recall doing something like that in Modoc, once.

>> No.5295771

>>5295706
Getting perks earlier doesn't really matter since most of them are pretty bad, and some are even buggy. Getting good recruits earlier also doesn't matter, because you get at least a team of 4 right after the second mission. Farsight and Stitch are good until endgame, then you get Brian and Jax after the first missions. And even then, you get that girl sniper (with the same portrait as Farsight) a little before the final chapter, anyway.

What sucks is that there's almost no good Big Guns recruit, so your character is probably the one you made into it. And without Big Guns, midgame turns into a deadlock quite fast.

Either way, once you get Power Armor and any of the Pulse guns, the game becomes even more trivial. Except for that mission with the nuke carrier, you can just pop two voodos, make a three/four-man team and run from room to room killing everything in sight, and laugh at their puny damage.

>> No.5295776
File: 62 KB, 640x640, 1492009401748.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5295706
Aren't two of the best recruits "prizes" from missions? I think there was a ghoul who was the best sniper and the super mutant who had Big Guns tagged. I mean, Charisma is kinda moot in the first Fallouts anyway.

>> No.5295812

>>5295771
That's still more uses for Charisma than presented in Fallout 2. I will take you up on that FoT has bugged perks, but I still would assume that most of the mainstay ones throughout the series work decently enough. All in all, Divine Favor is a free skill increase and a couple free perks when you finish the game [presumably around level 24].

With the way Charisma works on rank progression, it at least makes it valid to keep it somewhere. I like my characters good-looking and I enjoy mixing my powergaming with restrictions, so I don't dump Charisma. Fallout 1 and 2 give me, like, 8-10 unique high Charisma interactions, which is pretty miniscule for a game boasting rich alternative options for roleplaying fans; Fallout Tactics has a whole mechanic that makes it at least somewhat worth considering or trying to build a character around, even if the game didn't include a Speech skill.

>> No.5296006

Hey. Hey, anon. You want a pro strat?
Chuck flares at enemies you can't hit. The light makes it easier for you.

Unless they move. Then you've wasted a lot of time. And HP. And sanity.

>> No.5296024

>>5294725
F1 blew my mind straight from the beginning, while F2 and BG took me some persistence to actually enjoy it. Bg mostly since the slow start might be a hassle for a lot of monsters can pretty much one-shot you before you get some levels. Same for F2 i guess

>> No.5296112

>>5296006
3x More Criticals
10 LK
Better Criticals
10 AG
10 LK
2x Action Boy
high Throwing
stack of Flares
==
throw 12 flares a turn with a high chance of inflicting status effects on enemies, including instadeath kills for no damage

so you're onto something

>> No.5297476

>>5296024
with high agility you can punch most enemies and then use the rest of your AP to run away, then just repeat until everything is dead. its how i make physically weak builds viable early on

>> No.5297619

>>5297476
With enough patience you can hit'n'run'n'punch everything with AG as low as 6, just gotta get used to the relative tedium of this approach.

That said, I'm not sure how Fallout 1 starts slower than BG considering that Fallout has you beat up scorpions and rats in slow turn-based for a while whereas your first mage shows up fairly early into BG. Love all the games, but idk if I can understand this notion.

F2 does have a slower start; my remedy is to simply ignore the XP-hunter instinct and just speedrun ToT. The whole thing can be cleared out fairly easily without any HP loss at all due to the kiting mechanics >>5297476 hints at, but it's also tedious as fuck and ultimately amounts to a handful of XP.

Personally if I'm weak in combat at the start [which is usually not the case; there's tons of 10mm JHP ammo around, you don't need to conserve it much] I just go for the non-violent quests first. Radscorpion lair can have the entrance blown up with dynamite, for instance.

>> No.5297625

>>5297619
i think its sfall that allows you to use speedhack with keybinds, cheat engine should be able to do it as well, stuff goes a lot quicker when the game runs at 10x speed

>> No.5297640

>>5297625
Fallout has it's own Wiz8Fast.exe now? Thanks, anon, I know what I'm doing next weekend.

>> No.5297815

>>5297640
>Wiz8Fast
i dont get the reference, sorry. and sfall is at least 10 years old as far as i know. speedhack helps in a lot of games though, like underrail... any game really, with tedious parts or parts that require repetitive actions.
btw, i recommend trying out Fallout Nevada, russian fan made Fallout 2 prequel

>> No.5297861

>>5295289
>It's easy, so it's not tactical
Nice knowing you are a moron. Also nice knowing you didn't get past the first cache of missions, aka the only ones where this kind of shit is possible. Good luck pulling it when enemies are well armed, high-skilled and simply competent.
But since the game naturally filtered away a scrub like you even before meeting Beast Masters, no loss for anyone

>> No.5297875

>>5297861
I've finished the game, thank you. You can just waltz in the final three rooms in Vault 0 with a team full of coked up characters and tear everyone to shreds with minimal damage. The thing with chems in FO Tactics is that they're just too fucking good. The stat and resistance increases are so herculean that you'd only ever die to some lucky son of a bitch getting a gatling crit on you. In what kind of FO game you get 2~3 point increase for 3 stats, and 100% resistances to boot?

>beast masters
L-O-L. I mean, taking the first Deathclaws on with fucking AKs is a real bitch, but the beast masters themselves are a complete joke.

>> No.5297879
File: 301 KB, 540x295, really2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5297861
Aren't you talking about the Reavers? Beast Masters don't even wear armor most of the time.
>tfw discovering the Reavers attacking the town isn't a mandatory event

>> No.5297881

>>5295771
>What sucks is that there's almost no good Big Guns recruit
What are super-mutants.
Also, daily reminder Charisma-based perks, along with fucking Mutate! absolutely rock in Tactics, since they allow to boost your recruits into absurdity.

Other than that, agreed. The final missions boil down to "2 Big Gun characters with M2s and rest of the squad made from the characters with highest Strength, functioning as ammo carriers"

>> No.5297886

>>5297875
>t. actually never got to 2nd cache of missions

>>5297879
Beast Masters are push-overs, but when you meet them, you are super-overconfident that AK is all you will ever need and no enemies can stop you, since that's how things been rolling so far...
... cue fucking deathclaws. In a sneak-based mission. Good luck with your AKs, both in keeping it silent and not having serious troubles in combat.

>> No.5298274 [SPOILER] 
File: 40 KB, 391x476, 1547511319040.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So... the fourth Hakunin dream is obligatory when you find Vault 13 and Arroyo is fucked anyways?

>> No.5298276

Since no one asked, here are my main gripes with Fallout Tactics. Mind you, this comes from someone who played the original XCOM and 140 hours of Jagged Alliance 2.

1) player orientation doesn't matter: every one of your characters sees 360º all the time. So why have two buttons to rotate?

2) trying to get people to walk in formation is a complete nightmare. Even if you use F to change the cursor, they tend to bunch up around each other pretty fast. It was rather easy to get people to walk in formation in JA2. It's even more of an issue here because of stray burst shots. Bunching everyone together is a recipe for getting shot in the back.

3) Gun skill progress is too linear. I don't mean "linear" as in "mission-based". I mean that after every 4 or so missions, a new enemy is introduced, and it makes the prior skill completely useless. First you get Small Guns, then once Super Mutants show up you need to change to Big Guns, then once Robots show up you have to change to Energy Weapons. I guess that's the advantage of having a pool of recruits to choose from, but it limits your team selection some. Although you can still hit Super Mutants with Small Guns (specifically with the burst shotguns from close range), the rest of the weapons just bounce off them harmlessly. Just by changing enemies, you make 70% of the guns in the game useless.

4) game was shipped unfinished. Cut content, descriptions that allude to things that never made it into the game. The difference from CTB to ITB/STB is BRUTAL. You can actually stunlock someone/get stunlocked in CTB.

5) drugs are so good that popping pills everywhere is probably how the game was meant to be played.

6) power creep. When Super Mutants are introduced, you get this weird deadlock state where you're getting killed by lucky gatling gun crits because even Metal Armor doesn't stop them. It only gets better when you get Power Armor, and by then you're fighting the robots already.

>> No.5298294

>>5298276
7) ranges are fucked. Like someone said above, you can outrange a Super Mutant with a Sniper Rifle, and they still manage to crit you with their gatling gun. Also, it seems every motherfucker who uses a Grenade Rifle has 300% on it, because they can even hit over your range (Grenade Rifle is 35 range, I think).

8) Skills that are completely situational. Science is useless for 98% of the game, then suddenly you have to use it 10 times in a row, or the mission becomes unwinnable.

9) Sneaking is a viable strategy at the beginning, but gets more and more useless with time. I heard people saying that once you get it to 275%, you basically turn invisible even at day, but how the hell are you going to raise it that much? And by then, you already have Power Armor, which makes Sneak moot.

10) Explosives are too situational to even bother. Why bother with dynamite when you can just chuck 50 grenades over a wall at some dude?

11) missions are just too large - I imagine how long one mission would take if they actually decided to make the game strictly turn-based, like their original idea was.

12) fucked game logic. This only shows up in some missions, but it can be hair-pulling frustrating. I hear it's because the programmers tied game logic to FPS, so if you're playing in a modern PC, there's nothing you can do. That's also why random encounters trigger so frequently, unless you turn Vsync on your video card's control panel.

13) two situations are frustrating because of this: the Quincy mission (saving the ghouls near the farm and in the brothel) and that godawful attack against the ghouls that worship the nuke. If you don't remember this mission, it's the one where you have to defend three gates against an onslaught of super mutants, and you can't let many ghouls die. Although the south gate has more enemies, usually the west gate is the most troublesome, because it has a mothefucker who chucks grenades from 100 feet away with godawful accuracy.

>> No.5298305

>>5298294
14) those robot missions are just boring, specifically the two missions where all you do is kill those Scurry Robots (the ones that burrow underground). They're not even hard, because you can just kite the robots around with a character while the rest of your team shoots them.

15) those fucking Hover Bots that shoot three rockets in a row, then blow up in your face. In the first missions at least they're out in the open, but in Vault 0 they're actually behind barricades!

16) inventory organization - although it's actually better than FO1 and 2, once you get a vehicle.

17) getting multiple people to something as simple as going down some stairs can be an exercise in frustration. Actually, the pathing in this game is completely fucked (you can look it up on the editor). If there's one of those doors that open up when you get near them, you can't actually tell the character to go somewhere behind that door - they think it's a wall. You have to get someone near the door first.

18) some robots can get stuck on doors, making some missions unwinnable. It's those robots that leave a carcass behind (load lifter, tank and behemoth). Many people cried when their progress in Vault 0 was lost because there's a room with 3 or 4 load lifters, and getting them stuck on the door is too easy.

19) FLASH GRENADES

There's a lot more, but my main gripes are those. Those are just the misgivings I have about combat. I could talk a lot about lore and such, but I don't want to waste your time.

Also, is it just me or critical hits kind of shit in Tactics? I remember popping people's heads off all the time in FO1 and FO2, but in Tactics I can keep shooting some Super Mutant in the head 50 times with a Sniper Rifle, with 10 LK, and they just take a little more damage.

>> No.5298307

>>5298274
Yes. Either that or July 2242, whichever comes first.

>> No.5298317
File: 303 KB, 499x724, crass.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5298294
>10) Explosives are too situational to even bother. Why bother with dynamite when you can just chuck 50 grenades over a wall at some dude?
This is just me, but I guess that's because you need Sneak to set explosives near people, and you can't just afford to specialize on both. Also not that many enemies have patrol routes, so putting mines in the ground is almost completely useless.

Actually, my main problem with Tactics is that enemies just bunch up inside their cozy nests. You can't flush people out of a house, like in Jagged Alliance. That's why they're content in eating 50 grenades and do nothing. You can even see this if you have high Perception (so you can feel people behind walls). If you aggro most enemies, they turn just short of the door and completely stop. Then it's grenade chucking time. In JA2, you can just shoot them windows and chuck one or two grenades inside - usually someone will come out pretty fast. Even faster if you mortar the ceiling. But not on Fallout Tactics. Eat grenades.

>> No.5298341
File: 59 KB, 500x749, noice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5298317
Also robots are resistant to explosives, so not even leaving 3 mines in the path of a robot is going to stop it. I actually got a lucky kill against Super Mutants once, but it took so long to set up, and they had to be on a patrol path, that I didn't even bother anymore.

>> No.5298371
File: 17 KB, 234x216, 1420529354833.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5298307
Cool, I thought I fucked up

>> No.5298389

If you guys didn't know, there is a fanmade Website where you can play fallout online with other people, you do Mission etc... But I am afraid I don't k ow the Link, just Google it of your are interested

>> No.5298635

>>5294616
>whole game is just fights

my favorite thing about FO:T is how at no point during the entire game does the army you're fighting for give you any actual reason to be fighting for them. No pay, no training, no material support of any kind, no medical treatment when you get your dick shot off. You are ~allowed~ to buy ammo and bandages, but no buddy prices. the only thing stopping you from just fucking off and doing your own warlord thing with your gang of armed randos is that there is no plot or world outside of the missions the guy gives you, and your reward for each completed mission is "next mission".

>> No.5298929
File: 127 KB, 680x598, 1506898508551.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I need like 1000 caps for the G.E.C.K. from the guy in New Reno. I have expensive guns on me. Where do I sell?

>> No.5298941 [DELETED] 

>>5293868
Wow Mr. Todd Howard really did a good job making the fallout series relevant. Before 2008 no one talked about this obscure games.

>> No.5298946

>>5294616
Wow Mr. Todd Howard really did a good job making the fallout series relevant. Before 2008 no one talked about these obscure games.

>> No.5298951

>>5298929
If it's the dude in the bar, you're getting scammed bud.

>> No.5298960

>>5298946
OP here. I don't know if you're being serious, I remember the games being released. They were widely discussed and played long before Howard. So I did play them. And replay them now. I like the new ones but for different reasons than the Interplay originals.

>> No.5298961
File: 16 KB, 488x299, 1532227071239.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5298960

It's a very low quality bait, you dimwit.

>> No.5298978
File: 135 KB, 612x853, cd action.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5298951
The guy in the gun shop wants 3000, is that a scam?
>>5298961
I'm kinda drunk, I don't care. The first Fallout I played was coming with a magazine called CD Action in 1999. It was worth like 3 bucks.

>> No.5298983

>>5298341
why is kamen rider doing a kabedon with the red ranger?

>> No.5299014
File: 81 KB, 436x413, heeho.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5298635
>You are ~allowed~ to buy ammo and bandages
It's weird as fuck when you're in the final mission and suddenly you have a full squad of BoS Knights wanting to sell you stuff. Mind you, they're stranded here just like you, and you can just let them die once you open the door and loot their corpses. Actually, it's harder to get them to live, since the leader doesn't have many EC bullets (and he uses a Gauss minigun!), so seconds into the fight he just runs right into the corridor full of death robots and tries to punch them to death.

I read somewhere that the skill that compliments Sneak in FO Tactics is Unarmed, not explosives or Steal. But fuck it if I'm going to have to karate kick 70 dudes per mission. Melee weapons are seriously shit.

>> No.5299138

>>5297881
>What are super-mutants.
I mean recruits to fight the super mutants. You can only recruit super mutants after they disappear from missions. Fucking robots.

>> No.5300190

>>5299014
>he never ran around with a cattle prod or ripper, tearing people in half like phonebooks

>> No.5300437

>>5300190
I'm pretty sure melee weapons in Fallout Tactics are shit, and the only crits worth anything are from burst weapons. You can shoot a Super Mutant in the head 50 times with either a rifle or slash with a Ripper, and never get a head explosion, it just does more damage.

The effect that happens the most in FO Tactics is knock down, weirdly enough. It happens so much by endgame that a huge fight where someone DOESN'T get knocked down is a rarity.

>> No.5301814

>>5293868
It's probably the deepest RPG ever that isn't part of the Realms of Arkania series.

>> No.5301838

>>5300190
>tearing people in half like phonebooks

But phonebooks are known to be very hard to rip through

>> No.5301946

>>5300190
The number of times I had some Press Gang members... dismember me or a follower with a lucky Ripper crit. The pain is real.

>> No.5302619

>>5295109

Bethesda will never bring FoT into the canon, instead sticking with the lame HFY strawmen BoS.

> tfw you will never provide overwatch with gauss miniguns while your deathclaw teammates secure a raider base
> tfw you will never see proper squad-level fire-and-maneuver through downtown Boston
> tfw you will never chew up Institute agents with .50 DU rounds
> tfw you will never purge a DC suburb for attacking BoS supply convoys
> tfw you will never use super mutants to handle your heavy weapons section

> TFW when you will never jingle jangle jingle as your humvee of troopers unloads on a column of Legion larpers

why even live

>> No.5302834

>>5298389
thank you my nigger friend :)

>> No.5302994

>>5299014
>>5300190
>>5300437
There is a bug in Fallout Tactics where using aimed shots in melee on someone's Left Leg causes insane damage. I have no idea why. There were scary Dog and Human brawler builds around the bug in online FO:T, though.
>>5301814
>deepest
Eh, in terms of world reactivity, maybe. Not in terms of combat or character builds, and there aren't *that* many choices and consequences you can make.
Though the games are well worth playing. And replaying. Like four times, in my case.