[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 282 KB, 1024x768, 3_1-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5285523 No.5285523 [Reply] [Original]

Were there ever games more relaxing and satisfying than the Impressions Games city simulators?

What games do you play when you just want to chill?

>> No.5285823

>>5285523
master of olympus zeus is one of my favourite games of all time, and definitely super comfy. could spend hours planning out my beautiful city with that tranquil soundtrack and each little quip the units give you

the only room for these goods in the city are right here in my cart!

fuck the combat in that game though

>> No.5285829

>>5285523
some of the warioland games are pretty chill but im not sure they count as /vr/

>> No.5285875
File: 60 KB, 640x480, a-train_5.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wish there were more city based transport sims like a-train. Sometimes it's fun to just watch a city form around my production lines.

>> No.5286074

>>5285523
>You have already won this adventure, and have chosen to continue governing.

Thus begins the Golden Age.

>> No.5286075

Good topic, here are some of my favorites:

Ecco the Dolphin
Toejam and Earl
Rayman 2
Spyro
any golfing or fishing game
Parasol Stars
Puzzle Bobble
Double Dungeons or a similar dungeon crawler (one with little to no chance of dying unless you go head-to-head with a floor boss without thinking)

>> No.5286098

>>5286075
>Ecco the Dolphin
>Toejam and Earl
I find both of these games incredibly frustrating, but I'm not very gud so it's probably my fault.

>> No.5286182

>>5286098
like most things in life, once you do it (in the case of games, beat it) once or twice, then it gets pretty easy and relaxing. I was fortunate to have an older brother guide me through ecco and toejam starting out

>> No.5286234

>>5285875
You know about this right?
https://www.openttd.org

Unfortunately nothing seems to perfectly hit the mark in that genre. Maxis went off the rails when EA took the reigns...

Given modern multi-core processors (1000s of cores given GPUs?) and the potential for distributed computing the capability is definitely there. The issue is I believe that the complexity vs. enjoyment curve (ala phase transition) contains some "negative resistance" regions... difficult for me to put to words. Essentially I think that if you begin to settle into any of the zero points of the curve your enjoyment becomes unstable and flies off to some horrible negative value "hole".

What makes such games enjoyable to begin with may be the source of their failure and downfall.