[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 168 KB, 733x651, rpg news wil overton.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5285367 No.5285367 [Reply] [Original]

Considering what we know about the N64 now, this is a really sad position to have

>I'm here to report on all the things that won't EVER come out or exist on our system

>> No.5285376

Shiren 2 is pretty cool

>> No.5285393

Figlio di puttana, sai che tu sei un pezzo di merda

>> No.5285403

This was such a bro tier magazine.

>> No.5285770

>>5285393
cornuto

>> No.5285774

I hope he liked talking about Quest 64 and Aidyn Chronicles.

>> No.5285780

It was a frustrating time for Nintendo RPG fans. Some were so desperate they started calling Ocarina of Time an RPG.

>> No.5285787

>>5285780
I'm looking up N64 RPG lists of the time and I see Shadowgate 64 listed - not an RPG, but a point and click adventure on a controller

>> No.5285797

>>5285787
Like is said, some got desperate. During 5th gen console wars the most reliable piece of ammo the PS1 guys had in their salvo was the N64 had no RPGs. There was no counter to it.

>> No.5285804

>>5285376
It's the game I want translated more than any. It's playable without english, but damn it would be nice to not guess or use ar translation software on a phone. Considering it's the meme64 system, I'm surprised no one has tackled it yet.

>> No.5286242

>>5285367
>Fuck this I'm gonna go work for Rare instead

>> No.5286453

>>5285780
I remember Hexen 64 being called an RPG.

>> No.5286479

>>5285780
How do you go from snes's RPG golden age to n64?

>> No.5286482

>>5285403
I still check some issues from time on time on archive.org on spanish
Seeing the way Pokemon's release changed fucking everything is still amusing.

>> No.5286486

>>5286479
Actively working to discourage devs

Not giving devs a template to work with when making JRPGs for the N64

>> No.5286561

>>5285780
Yeah it absolutely was. I spent too much on the N64 garbage controllers with doomed thumbsticks that had a deadzone which widened by merely looking at the thing, not to mention games that were ultimately hollow experiences compared to what Sony was doing. In hindsight I'm glad that Nintendo showed its true colors and betrayed Sony at the very last minute, publicly. We got a fantastic system out of it which harkened back to what made the SNES so God-tier: a wide range of genres of 2D and 3D games, including actual RPGs.

Most of us hardcore fans of the SNES were already annoyed by years of a silly as fuck "no blood" policy (an MK game, I forget which, was the first to have blood late in the system's life cycle). So the N64 and its throwing the baby out with the bathwater shenanigans (nothing but 3D zoom zoom!) was a final straw for me. Never even looked at another of their systems, to this day, and honestly barring some Metroid I don't think I'm missing much at all.

I was late to the PSX party, but installed a mod chip and made up for lost time, grabbing PSX images from Fserves. Such a great system. I still have the N64 and games, controllers in a shoebox, but I see no reason to revisit it. It just overall sucked. Honestly, I think the N64 love nowadays is mostly a meme propagated by Big-Bang-Theory-loving fake nerds. One can pull some gymnastics and state that its niche was its grand total of 2 compelling FPS exclusives, but 2 games does not a wise console purchase make.

>> No.5286581

>>5285780
RPG wasn't even a popular genre during 4th gen.
>>5286561
>that had a deadzone which widened by merely looking at the thing
Funny you should mention that. Even with the sticks getting loose, the deadzone on the N64 controller are still smaller than that on other controllers like dualshock or Gamecube. I can't play N64 games like Starfox or Sin and punishment with anything other than an original N64 controller.
>We got a fantastic system out of it which harkened back to what made the SNES so God-tier: a wide range of genres of 2D and 3D games, including actual RPGs.
SNES, 3D games? Also again, RPG was a niche genre back in 4th gen. It only started getting popular with western audiences thanks to FMVs and the anime boom of the mid/late 90s.
I personally don't really go back to the PS1 much nowadays. Too many worst versions of multiplats, not too many good exclusives to revisit. I actually go back to N64 (best 5th gen 3D) and Saturn (best 5th gen 2D) more.

>> No.5286672

>>5286581
Yeah, fair enough on deadzone being an inappropriate (but I'd argue accessible, and people know what I meant immediately, obviously) term. Hmm, I forget if the N64 controller had a "deadzone reset" button combo. Seems it'd be pretty important given the analog's glaring flaw. They were solid as hell for the first month or two that you used them, but the longevity was sorely lacking. A stable of loose as fuck old N64 controllers, to anyone who owned the system, is practically a proverb.

Saying RPGs were niche might be debatable, though I'll grant most people seemed to be more about Castlevania etc etc. It was a long time ago, I might have corrupted memories heh. I recall Nintendo Power gave away free copies of Dragon Warrior. RPGs did have enough of a fanbase to cater to them, though, and be profitable. Final Fantasy for the old NES et al, numerous games, and before I had an inkling of anime and all that (the only one I ever watched was Dragon Warrior, shocker).

I don't know what I was thinking including 3D and SNES in the same sentence heh, that was waiting for a pick to happen (Stunt Race FX and Starfox were great and all but just no..). But obviously the PSX did offer both. I think I meant more that PSX captured the spirit and raw multitude of genres and various experiences that the SNES offered, to be somewhat vague about things. I considered it a spirtual successor that an SNES fan would feel most at home with, and given the events of the SNES addon caper, fairly fucking poetic.

Holy fucking blog post.

>> No.5286680

>>5286479
Final Fantasy VII

>> No.5286696

>>5286561
>We got a fantastic system out of it which harkened back to what made the SNES so God-tier: a wide range of genres of 2D and 3D games, including actual RPGs.

I recently got into PC Engine/TG-16 CD. I feel you might like it if you've not tried it. There are tons of RPG, but unfortunately the majority are in Japanese. The thing is great for 2D games, which makes sense, as it's not really the same generation as the PS1 or N64, it's akin to the Sega CD. It's intro videos and such are pretty cool, as well as voice acting. They aren't "real" video but are rendered with the in game engine, meaning they are crystal clear and look like nice pixel art. IDK, but your post made me think of the PCE CD. I wish this was the path Sega had taken rather than fall to the FMV and 3D meme.

>never even looked at another of their systems, to this day, and honestly barring some Metroid I don't think I'm missing much at all.

Agree with this sentiment. Nintendo didn't mature with their market. They stagnated and kept seeing gamers as children (and still do for the most part). They almost lost hold of gaming in the 16 bit era because of this. They almost religiously drop the ball on meeting customer expectations. Name a company that does this as much as Nintendo and is still relevant today.

You didn't miss a ton with GC other than some fun first party stuff. Wii was basically shovel ware shit with the acception of again, a few first party mascot type things. Handhelds you missed Advanced Wars and Fire Emblem, and I'd argue you missed the most if you skipped the handhelds like the GBA. Switch has some promising things, but it's mostly bing bing wahoo type shit. The redeeming factor is that if you're into indie games, you can play them on the go with it.

>Honestly, I think the N64 love nowadays is mostly a meme propagated by Big-Bang-Theory-loving fake nerds.

It's the nostalgia machine of the over coddled, participation trophy generation.

>> No.5286717

>>5286561
When I saw Tekken 2 at a friends house, I had to really choke down my envy. Then I read about about MGS and that was the final straw, I sold my N64 and bought a modded PSX, best childhood decision ever. Never looked back, never regretted it, never was happier about a decision ever. Legend of Mana, Abe's Oddysee, RRT4, Tekken 3, Heart of Darkness, MGS, Tenchu, Medal of Honor. The first Playstation was magical, the n64 was a piece of dogshit in comparison.

>>5286672
It's okay, I get it. I'm perplexed by the diehard N64 fans too. Maybe it's because I really don't like 3D platformers. I never cared for Spyro or Ratchet & Clank, neither for all the similar shit on N64 like Banjoo and DKC64. I just don't get the genre but maybe that's it, if you love that genre, then N64 seems pretty good. I also don't understand the love for those ugly ass Zelda games on N64. I guess they developed Stockholm Syndrome for the few games they got on that thing.

>> No.5286737

>>5286717
>Abe
>Heart of Darkness
>Medal of Honor
Eh, those are part of your PS1 pedestal?
Best childhood ever would be an idort one. PS1, Saturn and N64.
N64 and its multiplayer games were great if you had friends.

>> No.5286757

>>5286717
I mean I was a diehard Nintendo fan up to that point too, and I too swallowed my pride and bought a (used) PlayStation so I could play FF7... but I didn't sell my N64 to do it. I had both systems - the only point in my life where I had two different company's consoles for a gaming generation - and I feel I got to have a rather complete gaming experience at the time. I still love Nintendo, and while I stopped buying Sony systems after the PS2, I'm still fond of them for those few years of fun.

>> No.5286771

>>5286717
>Legend of Mana, Abe's Oddysee, RRT4, Tekken 3, Heart of Darkness, MGS, Tenchu, Medal of Honor.

Pound for pound, the PS1 library was unbeatable. The variety was just insane.

I hear people talk shit about memory cards, but I assume they never had to write down and enter passwords with a controller. I'm glad in a way to see memory cards go, but I do wish they were still optional, it was nice to take your characters or progress with you to a friend's house. Hell, I remember some arcade games even took memory cards and either saved your scores or unlocked content on the arcade machine or your home console this way. Arcades are dead but I can see something similar with bluetooth to your phone now.

I'd say the only thing the N64 did better than the PS1 was 4 player multiplayer. N64 was alright for single player, but it was really good for trash talking with 3 other friends. I remember my cousins, a friend and I playing Goldeneye back in the day. That shit was revelatory. The game looks kind of like poo now that we are used to higher res 3D, but at that time it was really something. Now that huge screens are a thing, (and they don't have to pay for physical controller ports on a hardware level) I really wish more companies focused on split screen multiplayer.

>> No.5286772

>>5286737
Yeah and the best life would be if you were a billionaire. Being an idort requires rich parents which I didn't have.

>N64 and its multiplayer games were great if you had friends.
One of my friends stuck with his N64 and we'd always play Perfect Dark on split screen. It's fun but I hate looking at a tiny quarter of a screen. I much prefer fighting games for multiplayer, there's no Tekken3 on N64, no good fighting game at all really.

>Eh, those are part of your PS1 pedestal?
Yes, very much so, why do you have a problem with any of those? Abe's Oddysee is beautiful to look at and very challenging to play at some of the later parts. I had lots of fun with that game. Medal of Honor had a great and very atmospheric single player campaign, the first game actually was really good too. I don't care for the franchise that followed the first game, but that original first entry was gold. Heart of Darkness is beautifully animated and has nice difficulty. DKC 1&2 were by far my favorite games on SNES and I played both to completion. I like a challenge and pre-rendered sprite graphics. That's why those games are on my shortlist and why I loved PSX so much and agree with the other anon. PSX carried on part of what made SNES so great while the N64 just turned the cold shoulder and went for 3D ONLY NO COMPROMISE, which really pissed me off as a fan of beautiful late stage 2D games (notice Legend of Mana is also on my list, nothing like on N64).

>> No.5286965

>>5286696
>There are tons of RPG, but unfortunately the majority are in Japanese.
What's so unfortunate about that?

>> No.5286986

>>5286482
Spanish? It was a British magazine

>> No.5287129
File: 510 KB, 448x532, 1512227477740.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5286965
Me no epeakey mooney. No espeakey, no comprende, so no playey.

>> No.5287137

>>5286479
>>5286680
Not exactly. Playstation was already the RPG system before FFVII. The reason is obvious. RPGs are a b-tier genre, and the cost of putting out a game on the Playstation was far less than putting something out on the N64.

>> No.5287174

>>5287137
>RPGs are a b-tier genre
They aren't in Japan, where even Saturn outsold N64.

>> No.5287323

>>5287174
Saturn sold more systems, but N64 sold more software in Japan.

>> No.5287968

>>5285367
The N64 had quite a lot of potential for JRPGs...
But Nintendo shat the bed hard, especially the cancellation of the 64DD and insulting the JRPG developers/players and Japanese developers in general not too long after an initial wave of support. Bad move. Bad!

>Dragon Quest VII (late gen ps1)
>Fire Emblem 64 (unreleased, scenario reused on gba)
>Advance Wars 64 (hudson, unreleased)
>Mother 3 (gba)
>Project Cairo
>Far East Of Eden Oriental Blue (gba)
>Daisenryaku
>Wonder Project J2 (Japan only)
>Shiren The Wanderer (Jp only)
>Custom Robo (Jp only)
>Super Robot Taisen 64 (Jp only, lip service)

>> No.5287971

>>5287968
Honestly the limited cart space made it a bad system for jrpgs.

>> No.5287974

>>5287971
No matter what anyone says about the hardware in each system, the fact that Sony embraced optical discs gave them a superior system alone.

>> No.5287990

/vr/ is full of fake gamers. The n64 was good.

>> No.5288000

Garbage board with garbage taste.

>> No.5288041

>>5287990
>>5288000
Don't believe that a few 0/10 bait zoomers are representative of /vr/.
I enjoy the N64 a lot (Sin and Punishment is one of the best games of 5th gen, as is Star Fox 64 and F-Zero X), but I don't feel like getting into console war shit with zoomers whose first console was a 5th gen one.

>> No.5288051

>>5286561
Wow you're retarded so many ways in this post the mind boggles, it would take a long time to go through them all. I'll just pick out one thing:
> Honestly, I think the N64 love nowadays is mostly a meme propagated by Big-Bang-Theory-loving fake nerds.
What in the ever-loving fuck does this insanity come from? Being "nerdy" has nothing to do with liking either the N64 or the playstation, maybe liking the PC does (maybe). N64 has NOTHING "nerdy" about it relative to playstation. Like nada. Neither does the BBT.

I feel like for some reason you had BBT and "fake nerds" in your head and you were just waiting for any sort of opportunity to ejaculate them. There's also the idea that people would actually want to be considered "nerds". Yes it became a bit trendy in some circles to be considered a "nerd", yes the Big Bang Theory had something to do with that and actual physics students or whatever seemed annoyed at their thing having become mainstream. None of that has anything to do with liking N64, what're you talking about.

Furthermore - your taste in games is dogshit. Eat a dick.

>> No.5288064

>>5288051
Clarification: when I said
>Neither does the BBT.
I meant BBT has nothing to do with N64.

>> No.5288072

>>5285403
Was it? Super Play was far superior. Also, amusingly the magazine was hilariously light on content - as was every N64 mag. Hmm, wonder why!

I got a letter printed in the magazine. I took a photo of a Goldeneye "freak" and demanded to be called a king. Amused me at the time (I'm 32 now)

>> No.5288142

>>5287971
Not really true. Shitty compressed FMVs aren't an integral part of a JRPG.

FF7 and 8 actually did do some cool things with FMVs as backgrounds, but its hardly necessary. Also most JRPGs are not nearly as ambitious as Sqaure's Final Fantasy series.

>> No.5288167

>>5288142
cope

music and voices

also its easy to poke fun at FMVs from the 90s nowadays but back then they were new and impressive, especially FF8

>> No.5288227

>>5288051
All I see is "reeeeeeeeeeeeee!". I only mentioned one game, Mortal Kombat — whichever it was that had blood, so I'm not sure how you managed to extrapolate my "taste in games" from that. I understand that you're a common-core casualty, but DO try harder to *comprendé Ingles* and subsequently form a coherent post based on what was *actually said*, thereby denying your betters comedic material, thank you.

P.S. your taste in TV shows is so much worse heh. You should be slapped, sterilized, and deported.

>> No.5288281

>>5286581
>RPG wasn't even a popular genre during 4th gen.
Irrelevant. Once FF7 came out, RPGs were the big dick that Sony players loved to swing in front of everyone.

>> No.5288368

>>5286581
They weren't popular but I sure was an RPG maniac back then. CT, FF6, BoF, Lufia... JRPGs were my life growing up.

>> No.5288387

>>5286479
>How do you go from snes's RPG golden age to n64?

PlayStation is actually the continuation of the Super Famicom. Look at how many SFC series skipped the N64 and went to Sony. Even a tiny game like Septention adn The Firemen had PS sequels.

>> No.5288415

>>5288051
>There's also the idea that people would actually want to be considered "nerds". Yes it became a bit trendy in some circles to be considered a "nerd", yes the Big Bang Theory had something to do with that and actual physics students or whatever seemed annoyed at their thing having become mainstream.

Not the dude you are responding to but I think it's more like socially awkward people feel less alone if they consider themselves nerds. I mean, it's a coping mechanism like fat people saying it's genetic. It's easier to find an excuse than to work on your personal faults.

>> No.5288429

>>5286581
I remember discovering Shining Force in about 93. It was at a Pamida (hey rural folks, remember those?) and my cousin bought it. We were hooked and played it nonstop all summer. We even got my non gamer uncle hooked on playing it. We had never been exposed to rpg/jrpg type games. I think Shining Force kind of ruined me for RPG as it's positioning on the battlefield was way more interesting to us than developing strategy though menu choices. I know SF had menu choices but it's created a block that I struggle with even to this day.

We had honestly never played an rpg before this point. Both born in 1980 and younger cousin in 83. I know it's a small anecdotal story, but we seriously had no exposure to them. I'm not talking things like zelda, but actual jrpg type experiences.

Anyway, to this day, jrpg battles feel like a boring slog to me. I enjoy traditional roguelikes, strategy/tactical rgp, action oriented stuff like paper mario/mario rpg, and mother 3.

If you enjoy them, that's great, I totally understand the appeal but at the same time can't get into them myself.

>> No.5288437
File: 65 KB, 500x698, OB64BoxArt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5285367
best 5th gen jarpig discussion ogre.

>> No.5290745

>People always bring up JRPGs
>Never bring up games like SOTN which would be impossible on the N64

>> No.5290752

>>5290745
Yoshi Story is a better castlevania than that gay shit sotn

>> No.5290759

>>5290752
Yoshi Story was inferior to Croc

>> No.5290764
File: 782 KB, 500x387, wonderpj2go.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5290745
>Never bring up games like SOTN which would be impossible on the N64
What makes you think that?

>> No.5292701

I remember Next Generation shitting on Nintendo and Mario 64 because they were convinced Blasto was going to be huge and blow them out of the water.

>> No.5292718

>>5292701
>Move over Mario!

>> No.5292721

>>5286561
I agree with almost everything here. Especially about Nintendo eschewing 2D almost altogether, at a time when it felt like 2D graphics and animations were on the cusp of perfection.

>> No.5292918
File: 192 KB, 972x657, 1523944725003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5290752
Yoshi Story is awful.

>>5290745
>>5290764

>> No.5293016

>>5288142
>Shitty compressed FMVs
The earliest Nintendo DS games (2D only, better compression techniques now that LZ77 was no longer patented and algorithms refined) already reached 32-64MB. Believe it or not, 3D and textures with higher color depth than just 4 colors on NES/SNES eat up memory like crazy.

The N64 only offered 64MB max, and those were the rare late gen carts, common ones were 16-32MB. The N64 wasn't protected against the "shitty compressed" feel from FMVs, it was everywhere with most regular game textures. Resident Evil 0 N64 was cancelled because they still couldn't fit the game no matter how much they cut.

JRPG developers were promised the N64DD, an add-on that would add expansion discs up to 64MB each (because Yamauchi) and left when they felt Nintendo was mocking them with the constant delays. Dragon Quest skipped an entire Nintendo generation (GBA/GC) over how much this screwed with DQ7's release.

>> No.5294191

>>5285797
Ever heard of fighting games?

>> No.5294195 [DELETED] 

>>5290745
>actually implying SOTN would be impossible on N64
Rip out the FMV and voice acting and it would fit even on a small cart.

>> No.5294198

>>5290745 #
>actually implying SOTN would be impossible on N64
Rip out the FMV and voice acting and it would fit even on a small cart. The music would have to be sequenced though but it could still sound pretty good. Imagine CV4 but better.

>> No.5294202

>>5285367
That depends if he gets a regular salary or is payed by report.

>> No.5294242

>>5288387
>PlayStation is actually the continuation of the Super Famicom.
But Sony was the underdog here. Everybody knew the best jrpgs were on the snes, Nintendo. It would have been expected the N64 to retain some of its most renowed jrpgs. But not even Breath of Fire, not Megaten, nothing.

>> No.5294292
File: 13 KB, 346x297, 1545816230979.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5288429
>I enjoy traditional roguelikes, strategy/tactical rgp, action oriented stuff like paper mario/mario rpg, and mother 3.

You mean like parasite eve, xenogears, legend of legia, ff tactics, vagrant story, valkyrie profile, brave fencer musashi, vandal hearts, threads of fate, arc the lad, etcetera etcetera. Even ff8 had timed attacks and smrpg type stuff. Shinning force is good, but to try and defame the greatnes of ps1 rpgs,srpgs, arpgs, etc... Is a fools errand and you just dont know what the fuck youre talking about.

>> No.5294302

>>5294191
Yeah, but nobody ever brought them up during console wars. At least not the ones I was in.

>> No.5294309

>>5294302
What the hell are you talking about? Tekken 3, Soul Edge and a bunch of others where huge system sellers. I don't know what Podunk circles you where in but that shit was a big deal. Hell even Bloody fucking Roar had some clout to it.

>> No.5294310

>>5294302
So you never played street fighter alpha, tekken, virtua fighter, dead or alive, bushido blade, mortal combat trilogy, soul caliber(dreamcast), killer instinct, king of fighters, marvel vs capcom, etc...?

Wow, thats pretty shitty. I lived in a small town and played 90% percent of those games. I guess youre opinion is just ill informed on the subject and can be hastily discarded.