[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 20 KB, 270x168, NiGHTs_into_Dreams,_Saturn_version,_Spring_Valley.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5283024 No.5283024 [Reply] [Original]

nights has so much ambition, it truly feels like a soul project. like some japanese man in the 90s dreamed about making this game then made it a reality. its such a surreal yet beautiful game, i want to treasure its creation

>> No.5283032

>>5283024
never really been a fan but I'll admit it's one of the most unqiue games of its generation

>> No.5283039

>>5283024
we just got lucky because it was a major company with money and an experimental title

>> No.5284254

>>5283024
>no sequel in years/decades
sad!

>> No.5284468

Didn't get a sequel because people didn't like it. It gives a very confusing first impression and getting good at it just come down to memorization (just like Sonic's highspeed portions).

>> No.5284471

>>5284254
The Wii game sucked.

>> No.5285093

One of my all-time favorite games for sure.

I think the big problem with Nights is that you aren't at all instructed on how to play it until you get to the very end and the game gates the last level on you getting a C in every world.

>>5284468
It's far more about execution than it is about memorization. The memorization component is certainly there, but it's hardly enough to simply know the layouts of the levels if you're actually trying to get a good score.

>> No.5285101
File: 93 KB, 800x398, saturn-christmas_nights_into_dreams.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Only issue I have is some of the gimmick puzzle bosses feel too half-baked. Other than that it's great and Christmas Nights is worth checking out too.

>> No.5285120

It's my #1 favourite game of all time. Something about it is just magical and heartwarming.

>> No.5285157

I agree, now can someone tell me if PC and Wii NiGHTS sequels are any good, because I've heard they just don't control the same way as the Saturn original

>> No.5285297

>>5285157
Yeah, the analog is fucked on the PS2 version which is what the PC version is based on.

>> No.5285379

>>5285157
The PC port of the original feels ok to me, granted I'm used to digital controllering NiGHTS. Have since played the PS2 version and didn't notice a difference with an analog stick. Maybe that's what's up.

The Wii sequel is.....very Sonic Team. I love some of the music and levels when you can just run them normally, but there's so many subobjectives and different gametypes that are mandatory, like off-feeling platform stages as the (now much more realistic and creepy looking) kids that are tough going, especially with the new focus on story. Even with FMVs the Saturn game told us everything we needed to know plotwise, and kept those we didn't a dreamlike mystery. Letting the characters talk makes for cringeworthy Peter Pan crap. It was made around the same time as Sonic Unleashed and has the same kind of mismatch of gameplay types. Great soundtrack at least. The hub world is comfy af. The motion controls are absolute ass too - use a nunchuck. Saddening for all that time they had to work on Air Nights and not have the tech working for the wiimote.

>> No.5285396

>>5285157
I have put hundreds of hours into the Saturn version and... tens of hours into the PC version. I think the PC version is good. The original is better (the controls are indeed somewhat wonky) but it's good enough that I consider it worth not having to connect my Saturn just for one game.

>> No.5285508
File: 32 KB, 332x375, =^).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I literally went years before realizing you're supposed to fly over the goal to increase your score. There's also a shitload of nuance to the controls and physics that you (or at least I) didn't notice as a kid.

>> No.5285539

>>5284468
it got a sequel.

>> No.5285541

>>5283024
I saw craploads of hype and acclaim about this game in vidya magazines back in the 90's, but after finally getting the chance to check it out via emulation (first the Saturn version, then the PS2 port), I've gotta say, I don't get it.

It's got great visuals, sound and atmosphere but the gameplay makes no sense to me. How do you make it become fun?

>> No.5285549

>>5285541
You get points for ranks, you should know that, it's a shitty score attack game. Get a C rank or higher in every level to unlock the final chapter.
I "get it" but don't like it.

>> No.5285550

>>5285541
it's a score attack game where you gotta go fast. Focus on increasing your scores rather than just beating the level and you'll start having fun.

>> No.5285554
File: 1.65 MB, 1940x2220, nights3dpad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5285379
You really should play it with a Saturn 3D controller, the analog stick on it is amazingly precise.

>> No.5285560

>>5285541
>collect required amount of blue chips to break the cage and get the mcguffin gem (ideya)
>collect items to score the most points as possible
>enter the gazebo to finish level BEFORE TIME RUNS OUT
>get a C score rank you win, run out of time and you lose
Simple as shit.

>> No.5286091

>>5285508
To be fair they don't really make it obvious you're supposed to push onward and get a higher score. In most games where you're racing the clock you want to go over the finish line as quickly as possible.

>> No.5286124

>>5284254
It's probably better off that way.
If Sonic Team can't understand how to make Sonic good, there's no chance in hell that they'll know how to make a new NiGHTS good.
They already flubbed the first sequel. Another one by them would probably be three times as bad.

>> No.5286285

Pretty much everyone in the mid 90's was trying to figure out 3D gaming. Nights take on it was just flying and collecting on a 2D plane with different paths to give the idea of 3D. It's a good idea but feel a lot of the mechanics doesn't really work as well as people want it. Also "from the creator of Sonic" in the ads didn't really help since moving from "hedgehog with attitude" to Nights isn't really what I feel people really wanted.

>> No.5286362

Nights was a game before and after its time. We already knew by the end of the third gen that you can't just release a straight arcade game without anything extra for consoles, and yet Sega goes and makes a score attack game with 7 fuckin levels that you can finish in an hour or less and calls it a full release.

The A-Life stuff that can make tons of variations for each stage's song depending on their moods is really innovative, but the methodical searching for every egg is directly at odds with the strict time limit for each track, and there isn't much you can do with them when they're hatched except piss them off by paralooping them, so it fails at adding replayability. Having the start screen change with the seasons and holidays is a nice touch, but that doesn't change the game being a short arcade experience that expects home console players to pay full price for a game that only involves replaying the same 5 minute levels to beat their own scores.

It's a beautiful game that meaningfully builds on the speed/skill dynamic of Sonic, but it just isn't enough to justify it being a flagship title. I bet that in another world, Nights was a Dreamcast title that allowed scores to be uploaded online and could maybe have cool seasonal stuff to download.

>> No.5286372

>>5286285
>Also "from the creator of Sonic" in the ads didn't really help since moving from "hedgehog with attitude" to Nights isn't really what I feel people really wanted.

This too. Compared with how much Sonic fit the demographic of "cool dude for kids who grew out of Mario," it's just baffling that the same creator figured that there'd be the same appeal for an androgynous jester flying around a cute Jungian dream world. It's extraordinarily original and deeply charming, but that's one hell of a sell.

>> No.5286421

>>5285554
Agreed. The 3D pad makes Nights actually playable.