[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 31 KB, 342x414, 51H1058AMWL._SX342_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5251167 No.5251167 [Reply] [Original]

No Diablo 2 thread on /vr/ ?!

Post your character

>> No.5251168

Not retro

>> No.5251639

>>5251168
>Not retro
Came out in 2000, brainlet. So did BG2, which comes up here alot. If it ain't /vr/ to you, you don't know what the fuck is.

>> No.5251696

Play as necro, put all points in Revive.

>> No.5251714

>>5251639
For sure retro. I remember wasting so many hours as a kid playing diablo and how excited I was for Diablo 2.

I played barbarian so I could dual wield. Then when LoD came out I switched to druid so I could summon animals.

>> No.5251721

>>5251639
>Came out in 2000
Which is not retro as per the rules of the board, but mods generally let discussion of it slide anyway.

>> No.5251742

>>5251167
I just got back into D2 after a long hiatus. I always like playing characters like necro or pally that had cool spells and auras, but I think I'm gonna go barb this time. So far I'm missing the eye candy of other classes -- feels like I just keep dumping skill points into stat buffs or basic melee attacks. Is there any kind of build that you can make fairly easily which gives you access to more skills from other classes, random spell effects, auras etc? Easy rune combinations and the like? I just don't want to spend 2 years grinding just to get to the cool shit.

>> No.5251862

>>5251639
Read the sticky you fucking /v/ newfag.

/vr/ is not for anything past 1999.

>> No.5251883

>>5251862
Fuck off nigger

>> No.5251905

There have been hundreds of Diablo 2 threads on /vr/, what are you guys smoking? Stop being pissy little autistic children, the thread is gonna stay

>> No.5252319

I started a sorc recently, but I don't have any idea what I want to do with her. I like fire, but I don't really like any of the spells it gets, I've done a firewall build before that was ok, meteor is pretty slow, fireball is just a simple bread and butter damage projectile, and inferno doesn't really hit very hard, imo. I thought about hydras, but I don't know how well they function later on, and enchant is certainly a possibility but I'd kind of rather build a spellcaster instead of a fire damage melee sorc.

Should I just go lightning or ice and call it a day? Glacial Spike is pretty decent next to frozen orb, and lightning is pretty lethal against packs, both are neat.

>> No.5252435

>>5252319
Just make a hybrid of 2 elements man. Play around with how Blizzard and Fireball play together or how Frozen Orb and Chain Lightning work off each other.
FO/Hydra is doable but honestly you're better off with a Fireball.
I don't really see a point to a full Fire Sorc outside of party play where you get huge AoE and then the AR bonus from Enchant to everyone else, and most single-element sorcies encounter problems in Hell unless you have Infinity or want to just spam Blizzard on Meph and AT.

>> No.5252448

>>5251167
I play as a smart phone, you have one right?

>> No.5252483

>>5251742
>chooses melee class
>is there a way to make it less melee
Barb is the most boring class to play in the long run... There just isn't any progress from hitting things. And that's the point. Unless you count spinning everywhere like a retard as fun

>> No.5252492
File: 485 KB, 800x600, Screenshot003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5251167
Been playing with plug Y, it took like 3 days to find a white monarch shield and after using the feature to open up multiple instances of the game to rush another character for a socket quest my computer froze just as I put a spirit rune word in it and I lost both the shield and the quest I used to socket it with so I'm taking a break from D2

>>5252319
Going pure blizzard to hell is the way to go, glacial spikes are great with the freeze length synergy and until you get a bunch of +skills blizzard is easy and high damage. I find you really need to get infinity to get the same power out of the other elements. Before you find some huge +skills items frozen orb + other spell can clear hell until you run mephisto.

>> No.5252680

>>5251167
i was planning on going through diablo 2 again after i finish D3 but i don't have all my CDs anymore but i do have the keys.

is there another way to install diablo 2 without having to install the battlenet launcher?

>> No.5252748

>>5251742
maybe try a singing barb? it's certainly not a sorc-tier killing machine but it's a totally different style of barb that's not attack rating dependent and is rather safe and tanky along with not being bad at magic finding since you can hork corpses. it basically requires a merc insight though, as the mana costs are quite steep, but otherwise, it's not too gear dependent

>> No.5252762

>>5252483
>Barb is the most boring class to play in the long run...
Chiming in to say that I find the micromanagement mechanics of playing melee (separating mobs and making quick calculations on whether I can take on that mob or not) to be pretty engaging, and I tend to roll Barbs a lot simply because I like being a party tank in MP. Taunt, War Cry, Howl etc. give you plenty of control, and you're more than welcome in botless in-house HC Chaos/Baalruns when people aren't fully decked out yet and stuff isn't carried by a best-in-slot hammerdin.

Also untwinked melee is quite a challenge, but if you're sick of normal difficulty, melee certainly doesn't get rolling too fast unless you play something like an elemental paladin.

>>5251742
Level as a Double Swing -> Frenzier. Otherwise try singing, but probably respec out of it in Hell because the killing speed requires patience.

>> No.5253437

>>5252762
I started up a PlugY game as a barb after years of Necro/Pally shenanigans online. Did OK for a bit but Duriel really slaps my shit around. Sticking to fury barb stuff mostly. Any tips?

>> No.5253462

>>5251167

I want to THROB in Alara's CUNT.

>> No.5253860

Switched to lightning and sewered my sorc on US east classic ladder, it's so weak I can't play

>> No.5253915

Can someone explain hammerdins to me? That skill looks so weak and is hard to aim.

>> No.5254279

>>5253915
the synergies for it are massive, it's powered up by the concentration aura and hits multiple times. Blessed Hammer does 15k+ damage per hit with even just a few +skills items

>> No.5254442

Anyone here have any recommendations for mods offline? Right now I'm using plugy and hero editor, so I'm wondering if there's some other mods I could or should be using. I wanted a maphack but I've yet to find one that works for the version I have.

>> No.5254471
File: 31 KB, 394x556, 1366628137735.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5251167
Got a lv68 sorceress. first time getting that high on sorc. I was bliz sorc for ages and just recently respecced when I got to Hell because of resistances. I'm Meteorb now and still having problems.
Everywhere I research online they say "Lvl60+ just do Hell Baal runs for exp". I'm still on Hell Act 1 and slowly struggling to get through it.
I'm pretty sure every lvling guide on the Internet assumes you have a Battle.net party leeching you through everything from what I read.
Where should I lvl? I feel like I need another 10 lvls or so.

Also I came to the realization that Sorc is a shit job for Countess runs (because of Fire/Bliz immunity & magic resistance). I really need the Hell Countess runes badly to save up higher runes for shit like Infinity. Should I temporarily respec into Lightning for Countess runs? I have a Hammerdin that's not far off from there, thinking of just using him to do Countess runs with instead.

tl;dr My first time in Hell as a caster, what do?
Only Hell characters i've had before were Hammerdins and Summon Necros.

>> No.5254476

>>5253915
It's dmg gets big quick. My hammerdin's not even lv40 and he 1-shots everything in Nightmare on /players 5.
You get used to the skill aiming after a while. You'll hate narrow corridors but you'll love pulling a huge train of mobs to an open room and creating a whirlpool of death.

>> No.5254515

>>5254279
>>5254476
Does the real damage show properly in the character screen or tooltip?

>> No.5255029

>>5254515
not sure. my character screen shows 840ish a hit right now with lv25 in hammer and lv25 in concentration.
i basically ran through most of Normal mode as a Smite/Auradin and re-specced once I was lv25ish

>> No.5255482

How could anyone make a build around Teeth? The damage is pathetic. How do dentists or bonemancers do it? Is there something I'm missing?

>> No.5255626

>>5255482
>How could anyone make a build around Teeth? The damage is pathetic.
Teeth speedruns through Normal pretty well.
>How do dentists or bonemancers do it?
Fully synergized Bone Spear is a magic (so no resistances) piercing attack that clears mobs pretty well, and comes with hefty crowd control in form of the bone walls and prisons. Plus, every self-respecting Necro build invests hard enough into Corpse Explosion to clear whole screens with it. In practice, the entire Necro gameplay loop is about generating corpses to form a chain reaction to blow up the whole screen.
>Dentists
I'm gonna assume this was invented by one of those amazonbasin types where they only play oddball untwinked shit.

>> No.5255643

any good mods to make the game higher resolution without fucking shit up?

>> No.5256049

so none of you guys use maphacks at all?

>> No.5256328

>>5255626
By dentists I mean basing your entire build around Teeth. Can it be viable past Normal in any way whatsoever?

>> No.5256335

>>5256328
Someone probably gone and done it, so it's probably viable in the sense that it can beat the game on Hell. Is it gonna take a lot of gear and/or patience, more than most builds? Probably. But Bonemancers are absolutely fine, and there's hardly a Necro build that doesn't make extensive use of CE (unless PvP), so in a sense all Necro builds are CE builds.

>> No.5256348

>>5253915
>huge area of effect
>low mana cost
>deals magic damage, which means (1) there are only four enemies in the game that are immune, and only one of these matters (2) enemies cannot gain magic immunity via boss properties (3) the far majority of enemies have 0% magic resistance
>the paladin is one of the strongest base characters in the game: 3 HP per vitality, two frame blocking, second bast casting rate, tied for fastest hit recovery
>blessed hammers deal 2.2k damage with all relevant skills maxed
>just +6 to paladin skills makes it go up to 4k damage
>most people play ladder or cheat in singleplayer, so they have double spirit immediately

>> No.5257248

How do you guys handle lvling up in single player? It feels like such a fucking grind at the moment just to get to lvl 30 with my sorc

>> No.5257290

>>5257248
setting the game to /players 8 while putting the game on window mode and abusing a speedrun build throughout normal, and also placing Star Trek in a separate window on the same screen because buying a second screen is never a priority on my budget and I don't have desk space for it anyway. I have the need to fidget around with my hands while enjoying passive entertainment and Diablo works perfect for it.

>> No.5257648

>>5256328
Not really. If multiple Teeth hitting the same target stacked damage the same way as Charged Bolt then it'd be great. As it stands though the problem with Teeth is only one tooth will damage one mob at a time.

>>5257290
27" monitors are $100. Well worth the money, most people have 2 or 3 monitors these days.

>> No.5258138

>>5257248
you can easily level up to 50-55 making baal runs in normal using players/5-8

>> No.5258261

>>5258138
don't forget to then run nightmare lower kurast until 80-90

>> No.5258447

>>5252680
go to blizzard dot com and make an account, type in your cd key and you can have online access to the game as many times as you want

>> No.5258480

>>5252492
>my computer froze just as I put a spirit rune word in it and I lost both the shield and the quest I used to socket it with so
You don't keep a backup copy of your D2 save folder?

>> No.5258583

>>5254471
>Should I temporarily respec into Lightning for Countess runs?
Yes. Lighting is the only viable option for sorcs without a mercenariy that can reliably kill The Countess fast enough.
>I have a Hammerdin that's not far off from there, thinking of just using him to do Countess runs with instead.
Don't. Assuming you don't have Enigma, doing countess runs by foot is just too slow, even with faster run/walk gear and if you get lucky with the map roll.

>>5255643
AFAIK, no. A properly working hi-res mod would require altering the enemy AI to match the increased view distance.

>> No.5258606

>>5251167
not retro

sage

>> No.5259168

been doing Lk on plugy for a few hundred (maybe 1,000?) runs.

2 Sur
4 Ohm
1 Vex

do I have shit luck?

>> No.5259196

>>5259168
LK has always been about putting in a ton of work into it, so I don't think you're exceptionally unlucky.

>> No.5259210

>>5259196
I guess I'm not really upset about the quantity of HR. What I'm more upset about is that I've found SHIT for mid-runes.

>> No.5259554

Fucking 4 hours of 45 second LK runs and all I have to show for it is a fucking Vex rune

>> No.5260486

>>5257290
I just play full screen mode while listening to Peterson or Molyneux on youtube in the background.

>> No.5260496

>>5256049
I used it for about 10 account reset and I never got banned.

>> No.5260503

>>5260486
Oh yeah, I binged through the entirety of Dan Carlin's audiobook reports on World War One like that. Blueprint for Armageddon, it was called.