[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.21 MB, 956x683, mkkscreen.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5221814 No.5221814 [Reply] [Original]

https://archive.org/details/MKKroniclesPrototype
Here's a link to the April 1, 1996 build of Mortal Kombat Trilogy. This was made back when it still had the codename "Mortal Kombat Kronicles". It appears to be a very early prototype as the graphics are all screwed up and the sound is missing. To play this build, you need either an everdrive or an ancient version of project64 due to some kind of error in the rom itself. If you choose to play it on project64, you need to mess with the setting or else it will run at ludicrous speed.
This came from the source code leak of mk that occurred earlier this year but the anons from the original thread had issues playing it due to reasons stated above.

>> No.5221815
File: 141 KB, 643x549, Emulator Error.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's the error that pops up in Project64 if anyone wants to pin down what is up with the rom

>> No.5221917 [DELETED] 

>>5221814
Stop with all the shitty mortal Kombat releases, no one cares about some random version they made with a different name. The only thing releasing this crap did was let everyone know that it had shit code quality. A couple of dipshits made a game that was considered edgy at the time by 6 year olds so they quickly pumped out 50 different versions of it to cash in, we get it. Nobody is going to bother to cleanup this code or get it running on Linux and create a mmorpg out of it or whatever you think, because no one cares. Fuck you

>> No.5221965 [DELETED] 

>>5221917
No. Go back to resetera if you are this mad you ungrateful pissbaby

>> No.5221993

Is there anything significant with these builds? Other than bugs and menial stuff like different background colors
We all know there's a production process involved and things change along the way.

>> No.5222000

>>5221993
In this specific version of the game, all of the robo ninjas use sonya's sprite for some reason and when they perform their moves the game will lag like hell. It also appears that classic Sub-Zero, Mileena, and robot smoke were going to be locked just like they were in UMK3.

>> No.5222019 [DELETED] 
File: 224 KB, 680x498, 1534704436765.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5221917

>> No.5222032

>>5222000
So... menial placeholder frames and bugs
But tbqh MKT was nothing special as far as technical innovation and was thrown together as a final cashout for the 2d MK games. This isn't like finding a missing RE or Doom build. I don't think many are going to bat an eyelash over MKT version .82b where Sektor's walking animation lasts .11s longer.

>> No.5222201

>>5222032
>missing Doom build
Isn't DOOM's production history super fucking well-chronicled with publicly available WADs of every build they ever out out?

>> No.5222240

>>5222032
I'm just happy for any preproduction content related to commercially produced games that gets released. Beyond the fact that a lot of this stuff, of both the fascinating and mundane variety, has a very high chance of completely vanishing forever and it is a wonder that it gets preserved at all, sometimes examining such content can be like playing the related game again for the first time. Hell, sometimes earlier versions of games actually have content which is better or had to be removed from the final build.

Just be happy that it didn't wind up with one of those dang dirty hoarders that people on here cry so much about. There'd surely be a lot of angry meltdowns on here if this very MKT build were being teased by someone who refused to release it.

>> No.5222954 [DELETED] 

>>5221965
>>5222019
Could you samefag any harder /v/? Bet you even used your cellphone for the second post to get around the postercount as if that's some super secret technique no one knows about. Fucking livid her post got deleted yet your blatant rulebreaking ass is still here. GEt the hell out newfag.

>> No.5222959

>>5222240
fair enough
>>5222201
missed the point, but yes

>> No.5223006

>>5222032
This.

It's an incomplete build of a game I can play any time in it's completed form. And MKT was a pile of hot garbage anyway, so who cares about some bug laden early build? Seriously.

It would be like finding an early version of superman 64 that was basically the same, but with less content and more glitches, and getting excited about it. Just why?

Find me a full n64 version of Resident Evil Zero, or a full version of RE1.5, or hell, give me the original NES Final Fantasy IV in any playable form. But this? Who fucking cares?

It was lost to time, and no one cared. And guess what? Now that it's found, NO ONE CARES.

Some things deserve to held on to, and some things are hoarding. This is hoarding. It's pointless trash that people want because they have it and now their lives are comete, until 15 minutes later when they go hunt down something else to make them complete. And so.on and so forth.

OP, in a month, you won't wven care anymore. Admit it.

>> No.5223991

>>5223006
>Find me a full n64 version of Resident Evil Zero, or a full version of RE1.5
So a game that was later released on a more modern console and one that was deemed to have so missed the mark that it was scrapped in favor of a totally reworked game? Just as you view this as a "who gives a shit" release, many could easily say the same about the ones you mentioned. Promoting a culture of preservation raises the likelihood of something that you personally care about eventually seeing a release.

And let's be fair, nobody is profiting from this. Nothing is lost by this getting released, so why complain about it?

>> No.5224314

I'd rather see people do something with the MK3 source instead of clamoring over a proto.

>> No.5224316

>>5224314
Apparently whoever it is who currently owns the rights to MK have gone on the offensive over the source code being posted, so I think doing pretty much anything with it and posting the results would be high risk. The various MK prototype builds themselves which are out there seem to have been left alone as far as I can tell, though.

>> No.5224327

>>5224316

Shame, I'd love to see people attempt a port to something like the CD32 or even redo the Genesis/Snes games.

>> No.5224705

>>5224327
I've tried to mess with the mk3 source code, it can't be compiled unfortunately. Some code is missing and it will take a lot of work to remake the files.

>> No.5225514

>>5224705
>Some code is missing

I've heard people mention that the missing code might be present in the leaked UMK3 source?