Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 26 KB, 791x438, 1516993048922.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5202961 No.5202961 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Which /vr/ console had the worst launch experience and why is it the Sega Dreamcast in Australia and New Zealand?

>Cost AU$500
>Delayed several times, eventually launched in November in Australia and December in New Zealand
>New Zealand had two launch days, December 3rd and December 4th, because units failed to arrive at stores at the same time.
>Almost a complete lack of advertising before launch. When ad-posters were created, they were never shipped to retailers.
>At one point the distributor totally lost their shipment of Dreamcasts for two Australian states, only to find they were in an Ansett Airlines warehouse (in a third state)
>Even after the systems were found, they were shipped standby (i.e. whenever the airline had extra space) to save money so most stores had no stock on launch day
>Most of the launch titles weren't available even when the consoles were
>Games being shipped from Europe got stuck at customs due to labelling issues, then had to have their shrink wrap removed and Australian ratings stickers manually applied
>No first party titles were available on launch day
>Demo discs were unavailable with launch units and had to be collected from stores later
>Peripherals (including VMUs) were unavailable on launch day and wouldn't arrive in NZ until mid december/early 2000
>Internet wasn't ready until well into the year 2000 (and was never available in New Zealand), no access disk was included with launch systems
>30 hours before launch the local distributor signed an exclusivity deal with one of the most overpriced ISPs in Australia on a pay-per-hour plan
>No official magazine even though one was originally planned.
>33.6K modem shipped instead of 56K because the internet is "less busy" in Oceania
>Eventually they slashed the price and desperately tried to sell it off as one of those weird early-2000s "internet devices" because they'd screwed up marketing it as a console so badly. This didn't work either.

>> No.5203017

>>5202961
Australia is just shit in general for video games.

>> No.5203278

>>5203017
At least Retro Game On is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sejSb5A2p4k

>> No.5203332

The Saturn

>> No.5203395

Glad that console failed if that was the organisation the marketing and distribution teams had.

>> No.5203654

500$ ? US dollars ?
Even in Europe the launch price was 240$ US.

>> No.5203702
File: 85 KB, 1200x664, 1200px-Sega-Saturn-Console-Set-Mk1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>Build a 2D powerhouse console just as the money shifts to 3D
>Make a desperate last-minute 3D capability addition that makes your console extremely expensive to produce
>Sell the product at a huge loss but still get undercut by a $100 by your competitor because their console is cheaper to produce
>Move the console launch date 4 months forward to which surprised EVERYBODY, even the development teams who were forced to release unfinished products and retailers who were preparing for the original release date
>Retailers are so pissed off that some flat out refuse to stock the console (this was before Internet shopping was a thing, zoomers)
>Unfinished games are so poor consumers think your console is an underpowered piece of shit
>Desperately cut the price of the console further, losing even more money AND pissing off your most loyal customers who paid the higher price for the console just a few months earlier, most of whom had already been recently snubbed by the 32X disaster
>Hire a useless, obnoxious Jew to fix the mess, who not only manages to piss off the third-parties that had remained faithful to your company, but also lets slip support for the console was ending (before it actually ended), causing sales to drop to almost zero, developers to abandon their projects to switch to the Playstation, and pissing off some game developers so much that they vowed never to work on Sega products ever again

And the rest is history

>> No.5203709

>>5203702
i member,played the first 4 weeks i got it only the demo disc good times.

>> No.5203780

I was there. It was the fucking worst trying to find games for the system.

I even remember store clerks at department store telling me and my younger brother that they wouldn't stock Dreamcast games because they needed the shelf space for the upcoming PS2. It was crushing.

>> No.5203782

>30 hours before launch the local distributor signed an exclusivity deal with one of the most overpriced ISPs in Australia on a pay-per-hour plan

Telstra. Our country is so fucked when it comes to tech. We're overrun by bogans.

>> No.5206582

>>5203395
In that region, Sega had a deal with a local distributor named Ozisoft. Sega owned them a while but gave up their controlling share right before the Dreamcast launch for some reason. They weren't controlling it directly.

>> No.5206853

>>5203709
>You now remember when saturn/ps magazine subscriptions came with packed demo discs.
They were truly better times

>> No.5207214

>>5202961
I remember brah, I remember.

>> No.5207704

>>5206853
and Dreamcast Magazine
and some PC mags

>Eventually they slashed the price and desperately tried to sell it off as one of those weird early-2000s "internet devices" because they'd screwed up marketing it as a console so badly. This didn't work either.

Okay, this one eventually happened in some ways elsewhere.

>Most of the launch titles weren't available even when the consoles were

>No first party titles were available on launch day

Yeah but the important question is "did you get Soulcalibur?"

>> No.5207728

>>5203702
I never even saw the console in my country. Would have gotten it too due to being a Virtua Fighter fan.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action