[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 3.88 MB, 1701x1693, 15629_866030.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5196973 No.5196973 [Reply] [Original]

Is there a technical reason the characters have idle animations in RE1 but not 2? Like a memory issue or something? Always bothered me especially since Leon and Elza DID have idle animations in the prototype.

>> No.5196990
File: 346 KB, 445x600, bh_character_00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

CHRIS REDFIELD
He was a little lacking in the sense of cooperation required among other special operations units such as SWAT. Although he acts under his own authority a lot, he also solved many cases so for the moment his degree of punishment is lectures from Wesker.

The members of STARS differ in equipment per individual. Although properly speaking all members should wear this stuff, they have various reasons. By the way, the protector in this equipment was taken and became Leon's outfit in BIO2.

On holidays they go to the suburbs, cause disturbances and come home. Left is Chris, Joseph middle and Forest right.

REBECCA CHAMBERS
The rookie of B-Team. An eccentric person whose talents were appreciated by chemical companies that scouted her one after another (including Umbrella), but she declined all of them and joined STARS. (The left is Rebecca in her school days.) On holidays she goes to see basketball games with friends.

Chief Brian is the most unpopular person with the Raccoon Police Department. Sees above-mentioned trio as enemies.

>> No.5196991
File: 364 KB, 445x641, bh_character_01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ENRICO MARINI
Enrico is Barry's mentor. He also serves as Vice-Captain of STARS and Captain of B-Team.

BARRY BURTON
The man who enlisted Chris into STARS. Whenever Chris does something, Brian complains to him every time.

"Chris did something again."
"...Yeah."

Wesker. Leader of A-Team and STARS. 38 years old, same as Barry.

She receives training in marksmanship from Chris several times a week. Since Jill gets angry when he doesn't teach her firmly, teaching is considerably serious for Chris.

"Yes, another 200 shots."

JILL VALENTINE
Attached to A-Team. Lock-picking is her specialty but it's a mystery where and how she learned her techniques. When Chris asked her once she merely gave a dismissive answer.

"It's a secret."

Guiding the child of a relative from Japan around Raccoon City.
She often takes it easy at home on holidays and doesn't go out much.

>> No.5197001
File: 230 KB, 500x480, ps1_polygons.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5197063

>>5196990
>>5196991
RCPD slice of life. This is cool, thanks.

>> No.5197537

>>5196973
They also had clothing damage in the prototype, the cut a lot of stuff

>> No.5197680

>>5196990
>>5196991
Any more? Stuff like this is always cool to read.

>> No.5197784

>>5196973
If I had to guess, all the cuts were probably due to time constraints. In the 2 years between RE1 and RE2 they scrapped the prototype, and restarted from scratch.

From what I've heard, the prototype was going to be a much bigger game. I want to know, could Capcom have been able to fit both the A and B scenarios on a single disc? I always felt that the 2 disc thing was a massive gimmick. Like, give each character their separate, distinct scenario from the very beginning like they're apparently doing for the remake.

>> No.5197882

>>5196973
Never played these games before (huge wuss) is RE1 directors cut on PSX a good start? so Far 1 hr in and having fun

>> No.5198109

>>5197882
yay!

>> No.5198112

>>5197882
It certainly is. Probably my second favorite entry in the series after the second one.

>> No.5198148

>>5197882
Get the RE1 directors cut that is NOT the dualshock version. The dualshock version adds in terrible music.

>> No.5198151

>>5197537

Apparently they cut that down in order to apply more detail to each individual model. More zombies would appear on the screen in 1.5 too, but they were less detailed I suppose.

>> No.5198702

>>5198151
>capcom went with graphics over gameplay
It seems the seeds were planted long ago

>> No.5198814

>>5198148
that's the one i'm playing, just reached plant 42 (quite slow player) pretty good game, puzzles aren't too hard as well which is a plus for a brainlet like me.

>> No.5198826

>>5198702

Not fair. Everything up to Code Veronica was good. The canon was a little blurry but things were good. RE4 killed the series.

>> No.5198995

It might be because of the "lickers", Kazuhiro Aoyama director of RE3 pointed out in an interview that they were hard to implement in game because of the amount of limb animations and so had to be cut from RE3 to make way for Nemesis. It could be because of lickers or some of the other enemies that they scraped idle animations

>> No.5199028

>>5198826
CV wasn't good, by then the survival horror genre was getting incredibly dull and the tropes of the game, fixed camera, tank controls, limited onscreen enemies were incredibly dated mechanics that were products of the limitations of 3D action game capabilities at the time.

Mikami and Kamiya both cared about making action games above all else and were hamstrung by the inadequacies of 3D controls which is why when they had the chance at better hardware their games were designed with action gameplay in mind first e.g. Devil May Cry, P.N.03, Viewitful Joe, God Hand. Nothing killed the series, it died of a natural death from obsolete game mechanics

>> No.5199043

>>5199028
CV was great. put down the pipe, chief

>> No.5199269

>>5198826
>RE4 killed the series

RE4 did the exact opposite, but I understand where you're coming from.

If it wasn't for RE4, there wouldn't be a RE franchise today. It's just a little sad that capcom is finally coming back to what made RE so good in the first place.

>> No.5199370
File: 382 KB, 906x603, Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 02.50.11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5199028
I guess some people are happy just playing a game with puzzles, fixed camera angles and tank controls regardless of the quality of the story, enemy designs, etc, because Code Veronica is terrible in every one of those respects. The opening with Claire fucking shit up and Wesker coming back from the dead as a superhuman set the tone for everything that would follow in RE4 and onwards.

Mikami knew where it was going so he reminded people why RE was good in the first place with a remake of the only game that was ever a pure "survival horror" experience to begin with. Everything people talk about classic RE being; RE1 and REmake are the only games that truly deliver on that. Mikami considered the game his daughter and had to come to terms with Capcom expanding it into a massive franchise, when he intended for 2 to be the last one.

I despise modern RE but classicfags are just as insufferable. Two or three great entries are enough, you only need to look at the Souls series to see why endless sequels of more of the same do more harm than good in the long run. And yes, they only got progressively worse after RE2. You might think REmake is the best thing since sliced bread, but it's ONLY as good as it is because it's built on the foundation of an already great game, and the mediocrity of Zero is proof of that. Would it have been nice if RE2 followed that pattern? I guess, but you should have given up hope of that happening after the series went OTS.

I wouldn't mind another proper "survival horror" game but I don't want it to have anything to do with Resident Evil.

>> No.5199548

>>5199028
> by then the survival horror genre was getting incredibly dull
Speak for yourself. At the time Code Veronica came out, there were exactly 3 other games like it. Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3. Not all of us get bored of something we enjoy after 3 games.
>the tropes of the game, fixed camera, tank controls, limited onscreen enemies were incredibly dated mechanics that were products of the limitations of 3D action game capabilities at the time.
Everything is limited by available technology. It's what you do with those limits that matter. The limitations made for enjoyable games with interesting gameplay and style, good enough to develop a large fanbase and be regarded as one of the best game series of its day.

What you mean to say is that YOU don't like Resident Evil games. Well other people do.

>> No.5199573

>>5199269
>RE4 did the exact opposite, but I understand where you're coming from.
Obviously he doesn't mean RE4 caused the Resident Evil series to end in name. He means the series ceased to be what it originally was and turned into a whole different kind of game.
>If it wasn't for RE4, there wouldn't be a RE franchise today
That's not true, especially for a Capcom title, but there still isn't really a "Resident Evil" series as it was known before, today. They don't make games in the style of Resident Evil anymore.

>> No.5200085
File: 98 KB, 724x1024, 301c6dca8b503be2eab9c86dbeec0b20.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5199370
>Everything people talk about classic RE being; RE1 and REmake are the only games that truly deliver on that.

I think so too. I love the series but it's one of those franchises where the first one got it so 100% right the others have nowhere to go and have to just sort of circle around the original masterpiece.